GISELLA GRUBER:

Good afternoon and good evening, everyone. Welcome to AFRALO ICANN 65 prep call on Thursday, 18 April – apologies for that, that was the French channel – at 16:00 UTC. I hope that everyone can hear and that we don't have any echoes.

On the French channel, we have Aziz Hilali. On the English channel, we have Mohamed El Bashir, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Sarah Kiden, Hadia Elminiawi. I believe we are trying to get hold of Fatimata. Apologies if she is on the line, but I haven't heard her.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Claudia Ruiz, and myself, Gisella Gruber.

Our interpreters today on the French channel are Isabelle and Camila.

If I could kindly please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcription purposes as well as to allow the interpreters to identify you on the other language channel.

Thank you very much, and I'll hand this over to Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you very much, Gisella. Welcome, all. This call is organized by staff as we have only 60 days – time is flying – to meet again in person in Marrakech. So we are already thinking about the events and what AFRALO would like to host at the AFRALO at the Marrakech meetings.

So the agenda for today if you all agree is to go through the usual items, the events that you have in mind that you [used to meetings you wish]

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

to hold there. We know that there are some ideas to have events with the students. The schedule for all events, Gisella will give us an overview of the dates available for AFRALO. And the budget allocated. And go through the program and next steps.

So I would like to give the floor to Aziz who I know is already talking to some people and has some ideas about the events to be hosted there in Marrakech. Thank you. Aziz, if you wish to give us an overview of the planned events please. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you, Silvia. Indeed, as you said and as usual knowing that ICANN will have its meeting in Africa, we will try and show the value of our community by organizing awareness raising activities and social activities as well. We have already started discussing with certain people, namely those who get to decide on the funds assigned to the activity.

One of the activities that we have already [repeated at different editions] is what we would like to [stress first]. That is an activity outreach with the local community. Then there's a social event which can no longer be called AFRALO Showcase. It now has to be called social AFRALO event. We could try and find a better name for that.

If you [inaudible] I can share with you what we have planned to do with students. And in view of the budget that we have, I received a confirmation yesterday from [Baher] whom [inaudible] very much and he confirmed [inaudible]. We'll have a small budget, yes. It is small, but it will allow us to have 30 students. We had asked for 60, then we were

told we would have enough for 35. And we decided that we would better have 30. This was decided yesterday, and then it was [inaudible] so much the better.

The idea is to get students from Rabat to Marrakech to bring them over. They're about 300 kilometers away, so we would have enough money to pay for 30 tickets and to get them to participate at the Marrakech meeting. They will get there on the Sunday evening. They will participate at the meeting during Monday and Tuesday, and they will stay until 6:00 or 7:00 PM.

We have already prepared a small schedule that we could share with you, but I'm not sure if I can get someone to show it on Adobe Connect. I cannot manage to get online. I don't know what goes on, but I couldn't connect to the AC room. I have though a link so, Gisella, I'm going to retry sharing this with you so that everyone else gets to see the schedule or the program of what we have already planned.

So they're supposed to get to Marrakech on Sunday the 23rd in the evening. Then on Monday, they will be welcomed in the morning so that they can do the registration. Without any time, I'm not seeing at what time that should be because [Gisella is] helping me correct this. But they will get there on Monday morning. They will register. And then they will get a briefing of the different activities, of the different ways in which they can participate on the programs that we have already scheduled for them.

We will receive them at [a] meeting. We will meet at some room or other. I'm asking Gisella to find out [where] we can do this, but

apparently we have [been told] that they can come to the ALAC room and we can get together there because there are only 30 students so it's not that many people.

Following that, there will be a meeting that [will be designed] with all the students. Then there will be a coffee break at 10:15. We're still trying to figure it out with Siranush. We're discussing this with them. You all know Siranush. But we're trying to create [some kind of program that is] [inaudible] that we have for newcomers in order to show them what we do and how ICANN works, what the different constituencies are, how the organization in general works. So that will be a very important session for students.

I would like to point out at this point that the students that we will be having in Marrakech have already had a quite detailed lecture from me on what ICANN is and how the Internet governance works. So these are people that know ICANN very well.

After lunch, there will be a program in which there will be breakout sessions where each constituency will be involved. And with the help of staff, [staff] will discuss what each of the constituencies does. At the end of the afternoon, we will discuss the [works]. And then there will be a ceremony and networking event where we can discuss with them and they can exchange contacts with other participants. Then they will go to the hotel.

And on Tuesday, they will receive a new briefing in the morning at 8:30 or 9:00. We will have to define what the [NextGen] program will be for

them. That is yet to be defined. After the coffee break, we will get them

to meet with different constituencies.

As Mohamed was telling me, we will have Tijani with us as well, and all three of us could potentially have an AFRALO meeting on Tuesday. It is usually held on Wednesdays but given that they will be there on Tuesday we're going to try and see whether or not it would be possible to have the AFRALO-AfrICANN meeting from 11:00-12:30 on Tuesday because they will be there. For me, that would be better as well because NomCom has left that morning free for the different members

of the committee. So that would allow me to participate as well.

As for universities, I'm in touch with the Marrakech University which is not far from the venue. So we will meet with students from the Marrakech University in the amphitheater. The idea is to have an intervention from different ICANN experts, [particularly those with experience so that we can] [inaudible] and we can see what questions

they have regarding the hot topics at ICANN.

So that is pretty much what I had to say regarding the program as it is today. I'm going to stop here, and then if there's any other information you wish me to add, I'm here to do so.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Aziz, I have a question. I'm going to go ahead and raise my hand.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Go ahead, Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER:

I am speaking on the French channel. Thank you very much. I just wanted to mention one thing. Unfortunately, I just realized that there is something I need to say. We talked about this schedule with Aziz last night at length, but the version that is posted has not been yet corrected. The dates are not accurate. We spoke about that last night.

On the Monday night, you still have the AFRALO Showcase which actually will not be named AFRALO Showcase but rather AFRALO Networking Event.

On Monday between 5:00-6:30 PM, there should be the opening ceremony and the awards. So this is between 5:00-6:30 PM. Now that has not been confirmed 100%. We should have confirmation on Thursday on 25 April. We will have a meeting with the different chairs of the SOs and ACs, so we will talk about that to confirm that. But as far as the block schedule, it says that it will occur between 5:00-6:30.

It will be followed by a cocktail. As far as the policy forum on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday night, cocktails will be organized between 6:30-7:30 for the entire community. So if we do something at that time, that's an option. Or the other option is to do something at lunchtime as we did in Puerto Rico with NARALO.

So please note that the schedule will be updated shortly and that you will be receiving an updated copy soon. Thank you very much.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you very much, Gisella.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you, Gisella. Are there any questions on any of this? As far as lunch, there was a question about the lunch, we need to find financing for that. I just wanted to mention that.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you, Aziz. I think Mohamed wants to speak. I heard his voice. Mohamed please?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Yes, thank you, Silvia. Thank you, Azizi, for leading this. From the last experience and last Marrakech meeting you did a good job, and I'm sure you can do a good job now with the support of staff and our support.

A couple of comments. I think, yes, I did like the idea of changing the name from the AFRALO Showcase to either AFRALO-AfrICANN social event or any name that could mean that, yes, this is a social event for the African Internet community there led by AFRALO. I think that is useful. I think we could also try to get [inaudible] from the different constituencies, especially GAC, for example. There are many African GAC members who attend the meeting, and I'm sure in Marrakech there will be more African participants. I think a theme of African community social event will be useful.

Other comments about the timing. I think lunchtime might not be the good time because unless we are sponsoring a lunch and people are coming. Because people have their lunch programs or they have

meetings during lunches. So if we try to find another timing, that will be better. This is just to have more visibility to our event.

I'll be looking forward to the program [and] dates. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you very much, Mohamed. I see Heidi. Please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, thank you, Silvia. Yes, Mohamed, I have heard you. I'm also just wondering whether we could do some saving of finances by combining a few of the events. That would be to have a lunchtime networking/workshop where you could [present the] [inaudible] topics. If we had those 30 students from Rabat there, that would really significantly expand the amount of networking at least for them and for you in addition to any other people from the African region that may wish to come to that lunch.

In terms of the funding available, again, AFRALO does have \$1,200 available for some sort of networking event. While we do not have the catering confirmed yet, the costings for that, we estimate that we would have enough for around 70 people or so for some finger food as people have noted, mint tea, and some soft drinks.

So if I could ask that you do reconsider that and you could in a way combine those events and [inaudible] NARALO lunchtime networking event that I think that this might be a way to go. Thank you so much.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you, Heidi. Just a follow-up and clarification. Just hearing Aziz, my understanding that he got funding for the 30 students and there the program will be for them there. The hot topics could be aligned with the students' program in a way because they are there, this is a good audience, and we can invite others. So I'm not sure about that [inaudible]. I think I will Aziz' advice on this.

But if we try to avoid the lunch, that could save time. And if we are able to do a 70-person small bites catering, that will be useful. I'm not sure if we have any leftover funds or anything for a local performance, something small. Aziz, he's the local expert. He might be the one I think to advise. Aziz, I guess the ball's in your side here.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay, I see Tijani would like to speak. Tijani please?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Silvia. I don't think that including the students in our discussion about hot topics will give them any added value. The hot topics are very specific to ICANN, very specific to the work of ICANN, and I don't think the students would be aware of the [inaudible] or will understand what we are talking about. So it is not a good thing to combine the discussion on hot topics with the work we do with students. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you, Tijani. [inaudible] comments to make. Gisella, you have your hand up.

INTERPRETER:

Aziz would like to speak if possible.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, okay. Let's do this: Aziz first and then Hadia. Please Aziz.

AZIZ HILALI:

I just wanted to mention that if we don't have money for the lunch, what I have planned was to have a little bit of money for the students to eat outside of the venue or outside of what was planned. But the main thing for me is that they can benefit from the meeting during the day with the different constituencies, experts, and so forth. In my opinion, the lunch is not necessary for them. So if I need to ask some type of sponsoring, I prefer to ask for it for the AFRALO event. I think it is much more important than the amount of dollars that we had for that. But there is a lunch at the hotel for them that is very affordable for them, and I would much rather do it that way rather than organize a lunch for the 30 students. Plus, they will waste time going back and forth and I know that if we organize at the hotel, it will be too expensive. So the music band told me about the prices at the hotel, and it is quite expensive. So if we don't have money from ICANN, I would prefer it not to put together a lunch. I included the lunch on Tuesday in the budget that I asked of [Baher].

INTERPRETER:

So Aziz is done speaking. I'm not sure who – if I should give the floor to Gisella?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you, Aziz. Next is Hadia. Please Hadia. Hadia, I believe you are muted. I see you are muted on the Adobe Connect. Okay, we don't have Hadia. Claudia, can you check if she is muted?

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Hello, I don't know if you can hear me, but I had a question to Aziz. Are the students from different walks of life? Do they [inaudible] disciplines, or they basically all belong to one course of study? Because depending on that, we can actually choose to either introduce them to what relates to them most so that they can decide if in the future they can join and contribute and participate in the ICANN-related work. Or if they are from different disciplines, then it's good to make them aware of all the possible opportunities and chances that are available within the ICANN because I do believe, of course, that there is a place for everyone. So my question to Aziz was if they all study one kind of course or they study different courses. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you very much, Hadia. I see Heidi. Heidi please?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Well, Silvia, let Aziz respond to Hadia's question please.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Oh, okay. Yes, thank you. Aziz, please? Can you reply?

AZIZ HILALI:

I think I might have mentioned that. I'm not sure if it was heard. But what I mentioned is that the students are computer engineers. They already studied with me Internet governance. They know very well each constituency of the ICANN system. They've had a very detailed course on that. And they are engineers in computer engineering, network data, and so forth. There is no issue as far as understanding.

We are not talking about the scientific issue. What we are talking about currently is to make sure that they benefit the most out of the two days that they will spend at the ICANN meeting so that they can get something out of it. The last time that we did that, it was in Marrakech in 2016 and it was a great success. The students were chosen based on certain criteria. Each one of them made a report that was for each of them an excellent report. And I think that Tijani can add to that because he worked with me on it. He works with me to prepare the events or the activities for them. So as far as that's concerned, there isn't any issue with the students.

The only thing that does worry me a little bit is the financial side of things because we need to make sure that things are as comfortable as possible. The last time, there were issues in terms of the payments because I had to pay out of my own pocket thinking that ICANN was going to reimburse me, and it was a really bad experience. So this morning I had a discussion to make sure that I knew what the easiest solution is to make sure that we don't encounter this type of issue.

I would also like to remind you that they are going to be staying in a vacation spot. They're not hotels. They're apartments. That's what their lodging is going to be, and that's why we keep the budget low. And that's why the budget that we have for that is under \$2,500-\$3,000. That's what I heard this morning. I wouldn't have more than that for my students. As you can understand, it's tricky. The budget is tight. But what I want to really discuss right now is feasibility so that the students get as much out of it as possible and that they are as comfortable as possible. That's what I wanted to say. Thank you very much.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Very good. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Can I speak as well?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay, Daniel. Heidi, I will give the floor to Daniel first and then Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, sure.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Daniel?

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Based on the previous experience of the outreach that we had in Marrakech, I don't know whether it is going to be the same kind of situation. We had the students go out to visit the nearby university in Marrakech. I don't know whether it will be the same thing because we had a Q&A session with the students which was very successful, and it brought in a lot of insightful learning experience of what the students [need].

Regarding to the finances for the students, is there [inaudible] budget allocated to [inaudible]? And if there is no [inaudible] allocation, does AFRALO have some discretionary funds which they could probably [extend] toward this event? Though I know it may be a little bit minimal, I think [inaudible] would be helpful [inaudible] costs for the students because this is a very big opportunity. Also, looking at the fact that we are coming to the end of the FY, and this would be very good [inaudible] AFRALO. Thank you. Back to you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, Daniel. Thank you, Silvia. I'm very conscious of the time, so what I'm hearing is that it seems like you would like some sort of networking event during the evening. If this is the case, again, what might work is that we just do a divided area in one of the community event cocktails. We've tried this. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.

I'm also hearing that you would like some sort of performance. I do ask, again, you have \$1,200. So by doing it in the evening, you would be able to spend that on some entertainment. Some of it, I hope. Because there

will be some drinks and food available through ICANN. I know most of the RALOs have not had any kind of entertainment at their networking events for several years, but we are aware that this is important to you. I would ask that you keep it somewhat lowkey. So no camels, Aziz.

In terms of what Mohamed and Sarah discussed with Silvia and I in Kobe, we understand that the AFRALO-AfrICANN meeting would now be with the students on Tuesday if that works. That seems fine. And then also you had discussed a workshop to present the AFRALO hot topics which you should be very [proud] to discuss that with people. Is that something that you would still be interested in doing in an afternoon session perhaps during the coffee break?

So I'm just wondering. There are several points here, but if I could just get some feedback on that. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you, Heidi. Who would like to comment on this please? Perhaps Mohamed or Aziz.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Sure. If I can give some comments and then Aziz definitely can follow up. I think it's the [inaudible] we are in agreement that [almost now] the discussion we need to separate [inaudible] the social event could be done ensuring that this will not exceed in budget. We're doing something simple. I think it's symbolic. I think it's important because the meeting, we're in Africa and it's good to bring the community members

along together. And I'm sure this time there will be [inaudible] like [last time].

The other thing is about the hot topics. I think it's important to showcase the hot topics. If there is a possibility to have a slot dedicated of the hot topics, that will be great because also it's important that AFRALO works to be visible. This is a good [work] that has been done, and it's good to show it to the community and to also show that really there is something tangible coming out of the RALO work. And also, it's showcasing the support that [we already got from the staff] [inaudible]. So I think if we manage to get a slot, that will be great.

And if we manage to get the students to participate as part of their program, I'm sure they have a program, I just don't know if [inaudible] that they have part of their program to attend the hot topics session, that will be great so they can know the issues. Because [ultimately] we need to explain hot topics in a way that the audience can understand it. I'm not talking about merging the two things, but I'm talking about ensuring that the students in their program have slots or they attend this session.

So I think if we have an independent session, that will be great. I think that's [inaudible]. I think now it seems the discussion is going toward we can try our best to have those different sessions, the social event, and also [be cautious in terms of funding]. Aziz, if you can follow up on that, that would be great. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, Heidi, if that's okay, I will give the floor to Tijani and then Heidi.

So Tijani please? Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Silvia. Let Aziz continue on what Mohamed said, and I will

intervene later. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, Tijani, thank you. So then, Aziz, if you would like to comment, and

then we have Tijani and then Heidi. So please Aziz.

AZIZ HILALI: My connection is not very good, so I didn't get to follow exactly what

was said. So maybe if you want to repeat what the question was, that

would be wonderful.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: If I can summarize to Aziz, I said it would be good to have a [inaudible]

hot topics session and invite the students to participate. We're not

combining the two sessions but inviting the students as part of their

program to attend the hot topics session as a separate session. And $\ensuremath{\text{I}}$

said let's try since everyone is in agreement to have the social event as a

separate event and we'll try to be considerate in terms of budgeting.

That's what I said. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:

To answer to what Mohamed was saying, if you see the schedule that you have on Adobe Connect, on the afternoon from 2:30-5:00 on Tuesday there's an open discussion on the different subjects. The idea was to invite all those who can present the hot topics. GDPR, universal acceptance, those are all subjects that are hot topics. And we could also ask students, because that is what's important, what the subjects that they as young people want us to discuss and to deal with. I'm done.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay, thank you. Thank you very much. I have a line here. First was Tijani, second Heidi, third Hadia. So Tijani please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Silvia, and thank you all. Thank you, Aziz and Mohamed. I think now we have a lot of ideas. Mohamed and Aziz gave ideas, and Gisella gave other, let's say, logistical considerations. So we can compile all those and have the minutes of this call as soon as possible so that we can think about it and try to [finalize] something more coordinated, more logical and even so that we will have something close to what will be done during the meeting. Because now we have several ideas. Perhaps we need to think about them and then to come up with something consolidated. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you, Tijani. We are noting your suggestions. Next is Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you very much, Silvia. Tijani, thank you. Of course, you know you have time to think about the events. But just listening to the conversation, I'm hearing that definitely there's a separate [inaudible]. So if [inaudible] Rabat on Tuesday. So we can I think already plan that. And then the next step is to think about some sort [inaudible] entertainment for the next call and [inaudible].

SILVIA VIVANCO:

I'm sorry, Heidi. I don't know if [inaudible] but I cannot hear you. Claudia, could you please troubleshoot that. Her line is breaking. Heidi's line is breaking.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Can you hear me now?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Now we hear you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I'm sorry.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Perhaps we can [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, sorry for that. My phone is having issues. Again, just very quickly on the networking event. That will need to be on Monday evening

because the students will not be there on Tuesday. So perhaps for the next call, you can start thinking about some entertainment within that budget of \$1,200. Then for the hot topics workshop, there are a few options. One is that you discuss it with the students [inaudible] have 30 minutes or so during the AFRALO-AfrICANN [inaudible] the hot topics document. And you might wish to invite Cherine and others there to listen to that. So there are some options there that you might [inaudible] combining social versus the actual [inaudible].

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you, Heidi.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Heidi, sorry. Your audio is breaking. We're not hearing you clearly. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I'm sorry. Let me [inaudible].

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, Heidi, if you perhaps can write down your ideas on the chat or on the Adobe Connect so we can follow you. Okay, thank you. I have a list of speakers. First after Heidi I had Hadia and then Aziz and then I see Tijani again. So Hadia please. I see Hadia lost sound. So Claudia please troubleshoot. And next then I will give the floor back to Aziz. Aziz?

AZIZ HILALI:

I just wanted since we have Mohamed, Seun, and Tijani as well as the staff, I would like to see if we could plan the AFRALO-AfrICANN meeting on Tuesday because I would like for the students to attend because in the room we can have the ALAC people as well as the students. So before we leave, I would like to have a decision on that. As long as we have completed the question regarding awareness raising and outreach.

Also, I heard someone say earlier that the students are leaving in the afternoon. They will not leave in the afternoon. They are there until 6:00 PM because they will end their visit with all of them being present in [a university] with other students that will be there from another university in Marrakech. Because we want to establish a dialogue, some type of a communication or discussion between the youth and the panel. This is something that we did last time, and it was very successful.

So if I could please have an answer because I have staff here, I have AFRALO's leaders. So I would like to know if we can have the meeting, AFRALO-AfrICANN, between 10:30, that would be on Monday. This is something that would propose – let's see. Well, I don't remember what I suggested.

GISELLA GRUBER:

So as far as the AFRALO-AfrICANN meeting, it was Tuesday between 10:30 and noon, not between 11:00 and 12:20 but from 10:30 to noon on Tuesday. That's something that could work for the AFRALO-AfrICANN meeting.

INTERPRETER: Okay, no one is speaking on the French line.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, thank you very much, Gisella. I don't know if someone else wants

to make a comment about that. Otherwise, I had Hadia. I am not sure if

Hadia has sound already.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Ah, hello. Yes, Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yeah, I wrote on the chat and I made a tick to say that I agree with the

proposal for Tuesday for the AFRALO-AfrICANN meeting.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, excellent, Tijani. Thank you very much. So that's noted. We are

making some notes here in the Adobe Connect chat [pod]. I see Heidi

with her hand up. Heidi please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry. Old hand.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Silvia, I would like also to support the same proposal. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay, thank you, Mohamed. So the suggested time is noted in Adobe Connect. It will be AFRALO-AfrICANN on Tuesday from 10:30-12:00. Gisella has confirmed. Okay, so who else would like to make a comment? I see Aziz' hand up. I don't know if Aziz would like to speak.

No?

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

I wanted to note that I really like Aziz' idea about listening to the students, hearing from them, and discussing ICANN-related topics that they propose or we should discuss. I definitely also support Mohamed's idea about discussing the hot topics. Aziz noted that the students are well aware of ICANN's work. They are computer engineers. So discussing hot topics could be a good idea where we could end up with excellent contributors to the AFRALO work. Thank you. But again, dedicating a session or maybe half of a session or part of a session to listening to the students and discussing topics that they would suggest I think would add a lot to what we actually do. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you very much, Hadia. I see Heidi. Claudia tells me Daniel wants to speak. So Daniel and then Heidi. Thank you. Daniel, are you able to speak?

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Yes, can you hear me now?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, Daniel, go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Okay. I like the program, but one thing is that we should look at maximizing the time that the students are available of the meeting. Because I see the AFRALO hot topics is very key and very important and then the AFRALO ICANN meeting is very important for the students. So if the students can be [inaudible] the students have the ability to attend both, that will be good. Also, [inaudible] the newcomers despite the fact that this is Meeting B and the newcomers [inaudible]. But at least [inaudible] program for the students should be [inaudible] or the day before. That way the students can be able to get [inaudible] program.

[inaudible]

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay, Daniel, I'm told they couldn't understand you. So I don't know if you could – actually your sound was quite saturated. So if you could please just repeat, we'll try to catch what you just said. Very quickly.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Or, Daniel, perhaps – I'm sorry. Because your sound is so saturated,

perhaps you could just write what you're saying in the chat.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I think Daniel is not in the Adobe Connect, Heidi. So I don't know if he is

able to speak again or we can hear it.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello, I'd like to share in the queue.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Ah, I have Seun. Okay, they will try – [Adigo] will try to [improve] the

sound for Daniel. In the meantime, Seun please. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah, thank you. I am on the road, so sorry if you are getting some

background noise. I just want to also support the suggestion made by

[inaudible]. I came in late to this call, and I don't know who made that

suggestion but I think maybe [inaudible] Aziz.

The last time we had this [students] [inaudible] in Morocco, that was the last meeting, there were some [clashes]. So some of us could not actually, we had to [inaudible] division of labor to get some people to attend to [inaudible] students [inaudible]. While it is important as well to [inaudible] that this allowing the [students] to participate in the AFRALO-AfrICANN meeting, that [the students] are going to come to

that meeting which is good. But I think that we may not be able to capture [inaudible] like we did in Marrakech the last time.

So it is [inaudible] opportunity to actually go to the university and meet with the students, or is everything going to happen inside the ICANN [space] [inaudible]? Because I would really like to have a discussion on that. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you very much, Seun. I have Heidi with her hand up. I don't know if Heidi wishes to speak now, or I can let Aziz comment.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, please Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Just to confirm, it looks like we are now confirmed with Monday night. We'll have a networking event during the community cocktail. And the action item is that [inaudible] entertainment within the budget [inaudible] is that the hot topics document will be presented now during the AFRALO-AfrICANN meeting on Tuesday between 10:30-12:00. Is that correct?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Heidi, I'm sorry. Your line was breaking up. Could you please repeat?

Thank you. Heidi, are you able to speak. We couldn't hear you the first

time.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry. So just to confirm that what I'm hearing is that Monday night

you will have the AFRALO networking session in the community cocktail and Aziz will be looking for some entertainment. The [inaudible] meeting will include a discussion of the AFRALO hot topics on Tuesday

between 10:30-12:00. Is that correct?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, thank you, Heidi. I think we heard a bit better. Again, I see Aziz. So

Aziz can reply.

INTERPRETER: I can't hear Aziz. I'm not sure if he's speaking or not. I'm not hearing

anything on the French line.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay.

INTERPRETER: Yes, okay. He's good now.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay.

AZIZ HILALI:

There are things that can't be decided today. What we can decide is basically a skeleton of the schedule. For example, I wanted to make sure that we had the decision on the AFRALO-AfrICANN meeting. So we have it on Tuesday. That's great. I wanted also a decision on the budget and on the question of the students and how we will take care of them. Now there are many other decisions in terms of the speakers, how we will do other details, and that will take time.

But before we leave, I would like to make sure that we have a decision on the time and day that we — the AFRALO social event, the time and the day. Because you know in June, you have a networking event every evening with some drinks and a little bit of food, snack food. So this AFRALO African event, will it occur on Tuesday evening or on Monday evening? For Monday evening it's an issue because there is the awards ceremony. So it can only happen on Tuesday evening. And if that is the case, if we decide that, we need to make sure that we know whether it will occur before the networking event or after.

That's my question. So I think that we need to have a decision on that quickly so that we at least have the skeleton of our schedule. So I think we need to have this decision today. And for the rest, we will have another meeting in two or three weeks to delve into the details of the rest of the schedule.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, Mohamed. Okay, I see Azizi is done. Mohamed first, then I have Heidi. Please Mohamed.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

The proposal to have social and networking events back to back makes sense. If it's finishing up and then we can have everyone moving to the social event, that will be great. I don't have anything in front of me to see that day's events, so I [don't have good visibility]. But just from what I'm just saying that my inclination to have the two events in the same day.

I think after this call, we as a group as well as [inaudible] groups, we can go to our [inaudible] chat and not even today. It will be in the coming days or tomorrow. Discuss this in detail also for the [inaudible] I'm aligned with the proposal. I mean, it's not [inaudible] happy to hear others.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you, Mohamed. Next is Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

You can hear me?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, we hear you. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, thank you. Just to let you know that my understanding, and I've spoken with some senior people about this, is that currently the [inaudible] merge with the awards on Monday. So the cocktail will happen after that. So by having the AFRALO social event during Monday night's cocktail would work well. And also the students will be there while they will not be there on Tuesday evening. So I think we need to have that AFRALO social event on Monday evening during the cocktail. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you, Heidi. So AFRALO social event will be on Monday if everyone agrees, Monday evening. I have Hadia next. Hadia?

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

My comment actually was similar to Heidi's that if we actually have the event on Tuesday night, the students won't be able to attend. So I think that having it on Monday is better in order to have the students there. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay, Hadia, thank you so much. We are at the top of the hour. I don't know if Heidi and everyone else, Mohamed, if you all agree. I see we have many ideas. They are coming together. Perhaps what we can do is put the program in the wiki page that can be opened right away so everybody can look at it and comment and make some decisions that are important to be made today or in the next few days if you all agree.

And then we can wrap up the call. But first, I will give the floor to Aziz. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you, Silvia. I have a question. It's actually written in Item 4 which is Budget. It was an item on the agenda for today and I think this is the main issue to be discussed because without the budget we cannot get the students in Marrakech. [Baher] confirmed yesterday that the amount we would get wasn't what we had asked for but that it would be less than that.

What I would like to know is who will be in charge of the budget? Is it the ALAC staff that will be managing that? Is it Nick Tomasso or is it [Baher's] team? Who should I contact? This is what I asked [Baher], and he said he would inquire and get back to me within 24-48 hours. But that was my question to him. Who will be in charge of the budget? If I knew that, I think we could avoid repeating the issue we had last time. Thank you. I see Heidi raising her hand, so maybe she has an answer.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, thank you, Aziz. My understanding is that any budget to do with the students, since [Baher] approved that and that is GSE funding, you will need to go through him and his department for that. For the AFRALO side [of things] for the networking event and any kind of catering to do with the AFRALO-AfrICANN meeting, that would be Atlarge staff. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay, Heidi, thank you so much. Okay, as we are six minutes past the time, if you are okay with this approach, we can wrap up now. Next, I think we still need to meet frequently. I would suggest to have a call next week if that's okay with you and [inaudible] Adigo. We are also thinking about using the Zoom platform for the next call as we've had so many sound issues today.

Also, I would like to ask you when we send the Doodle for next week, we will also ask you to set the time and a [day] for our recurring call every week or so, so we don't need to send a Doodle every time. And we have a call I guess every week from now until Marrakech or every two weeks [inaudible]. So we will do that. We will send a Doodle, ask you to set the time and a recurring time, and we will use the Zoom platform.

Also, as an action item, staff will open a wiki page where you can [inaudible] the program that Gisella has and everybody can look and comment on it.

If everybody is okay with this – Tijani, please?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Silvia. I don't think we need a call every week. We may have a call every two days if we have a workload. And we may have a call, I don't know, every three weeks if we don't have something to say. It is not important to meet just to meet. So our calls should be done when it is needed, not according to a period that we define now.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you, Tijani.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, Mohamed, please go ahead.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

I second your proposal of having the wiki and seeing the document and commenting on a wiki page. I think that will help us a lot. And, yes, we can have calls maybe every two weeks initially and then until we're working on something. There is no need for just having [inaudible] calls. But initially maybe we can set the first one after two weeks, but let's work online. And thank you very much, staff, Heidi, Gisella, Claudia, everyone for their support.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Perfect. Okay, Heidi, you have your hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, thank you, Silvia. So, yeah, I think within two weeks is fine for a call. But I would think that Gisella and Aziz would continue working together as both the At-Large schedule and the AFRALO student schedule evolve. I think it's important that they're in contact quite a bit over the next two weeks. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, perfect. Thank you so much. Someone else wants to speak I

heard.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, hello.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah, thank you very much. If I understand correctly, we will be

expecting a summary of the key points from this meeting [inaudible],

right? Is that correct?

SILVIA VIVANCO: [inaudible] Yes, we will post the action items of today's call. The

recording will be posted right away, and the transcript will be ready in

[inaudible] next week. And then we will open a wiki page. We will post

the program on the wiki page and send you the relevant link for

everyone to look and comment.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Please be ready to complete the Doodle for the call. The next call will be two weeks. So that will put us on the week of 29 April. Okay, that will be the next call. In between the two calls, we will continue [chatting] and talking via e-mail to the wiki and through Skype as well. So that's it then. If no other comment, I would like to adjourn the call. Thank you everyone for your participation and stay tuned for e-mails from staff with the relevant links and the action items of this call. Thank you all. Bye-beyond.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]