
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Review Implementation Working Group call on Wednesday, the 8th of May 2019 at 17:00 UTC.

On the call today, on the English channel, we have Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Olivier Crepin-LeBlond, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Ali AlMeshal, Vanda Scartezini, John Laprise, Marita Moll, and Bastiaan Goslings. On the Spanish channel, we have Sergio Salinas Porto and Harold Arcos. We currently do not have anybody on the French channel. We have received apologies From Holly Raiche and Justine Chew, and also [inaudible] sent his apologies.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Evin Erdogan; and myself, Claudia Ruiz, on call management. Our interpreters for today are Veronica and David on Spanish and Ariel and Claire on French.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their name before speaking for transcription purposes and also so the interpreters can identify you on the other language channels. Thank you, and with this, I turn it over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Welcome, everyone. I really do appreciate the fact that we've got so many people here today at such short notice. I know that – I think we proposed to actually have a meeting this week but notification came out very late and I apologize for that.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

I think we've said we're going to have these meetings pretty regularly because we do need to make sure that work is actually progressing in some format and there's status report available for us to start writing this interim report, which we have to make sure that the information that is required is in there before the 23rd of May. You will notice [inaudible] in the agenda. So, there's quite a lot of work to get done and I'd like ... I know it's something we let on the back burner for a while, but we do need to speed it up a bit in order to get this report done.

So, we'll go through. There were some action items that we need to look at, so can we go through those?

I've got here ... [inaudible]. Heidi, can you go through those, just in case things have actually been done that haven't been recorded yet?

HEIDI ULLRICH: ICANN 65 and also the drafting of the report. Sorry, I'm just getting used to my new Mac.

EVIN ERDOGDU: Maureen, this is Evin, [inaudible]. Thank you. It just disappeared. I was just looking at it and it disappeared. I don't know where it is. Basically, when I posted these, most of these are kind of notes that are ongoing and standing to-dos. But I know Jonathan just noted in the chat as well he and I need to chat with Alan about our issue number one about correctly tagging the advice versus comments historically and a couple others have been completed including talking about the working groups with Ricardo. There are a few others having to do with ICANN 65

planning that I think are most likely completed or in progress but they just haven't been officially marked. I guess once you can see how you maybe [inaudible], you can comment [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah. So, we have Alan, Jonathan, and Evin to discuss tagging of ALAC advice comments for issue one. I'm not sure if there's any progress made on that one, but I think issue one is one are that does need to see some progress there.

The second one is completed. This is Ricardo, Maureen, Evin, and myself to set up a call to discuss the item of the working groups of reorganizing those. That has been completed and I think we can report on that.

On issue 13, myself and Gisella to invite the GSE to the next subcommittee on outreach and engagement face-to-face in Marrakech to discuss goals for collaboration on announcing regional events in advance. I think that will be key. Also, issue 13, Evin and I to work closely with the issue [leads] on development of the dashboard – include decisions on fiscal year 21 CROP and ABR on RALO discretionary funding. So, that one I think can move forward given that the budget has just been approved and we do know the results of the ABRs and the CROP. So, I think that we'll be able to move forward on that one.

Another one is Gisella and Cheryl to add implementation of ACRM tools for the collection of metrics of ALAC and At-Large under items, issue 16. So, that's something, Maureen, I'm not sure if you've had a chance to do that. That's that [Salesforce] that we're being trained on, staff are being trained on, and that will help immensely with metrics.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, it will. There's been no action on it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Then, regarding the next report to the board, Evin and myself are asking that the final date of drafting is 14 days before ICANN 65 and issues to be reported on by May 23rd and that means [five tasks and sub-tasks] completed.

Also, [Leon] is to be invited to speak with ALAC during 65. On that, one of the items raised with him will be that. Also, the last one Michelle and Andrea will be setting up this call and that has obviously been completed.

Just a heads up. I did hear yesterday that the Board Organizational Effectiveness Committee (the OEC), the chair is now Avri Doria, given that the former chair has left the board. I just wanted to note that [inaudible] reporting to the board. Thank you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: That's great. Thank you, Heidi. Just a few bits and pieces. I myself have got something to complete with regards to that, too, so that's good. So, moving on then.

Can we start going through each of the issues and see where we're up to and what perhaps the leaders are planning on doing between now and the 23rd? Or even now and the next meeting would be good. We'll start off with Jonathan and Evin.

JONATHAN ZUCK: You can hear me okay?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, fine.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Okay, great. If you recall, issue one was pared back significantly to match the revised version of this that was submitted. It's basically about more granular categorization of the documents generated by the At-Large, so that there's less confusion from people that are going in to do a search whether they're looking at just a public comment, whether it's official advice, correspondence. So, we've added those categories that will get used going forward and what we've been talking to Alan about is just doing a backward categorization based on a few categories, including potentially coming up with an additional one that Evin and I didn't think of as far as categories, so that it's true of the archive as well.

But the main part of this is a go-forward effort to tag these things as what type of document [inaudible] and that system is currently in place as well as the ability to filter then on those categories.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think that we just need to have those words in there so that we can actually transfer them into the report. And [inaudible] possible, too, because I think it's really good for everyone to get ... As you say, you're sort of developing categories and I think that's important that those

categories are actually listed so that we get a good picture of what is involved. But that's coming along pretty well then. Does anyone have any questions or queries? It is up to us to make sure that if we are actually doing what it is that is expected, and if anybody has any questions of each of these items, please do. Or send the questions to Jonathan or whoever the team leaders are so that they can actually sort of ... And I think this is where it's important that the information that we can put into these links really does explain more to the community as well as to what we want to do, what we want to provide into the report itself.

Well, let's move on to the second issue, then, which is ... Oh, [inaudible]. About the one that involves everything that [isn't anything else]. But more to do with ... I think in this particular instance, it's more to do with [inaudible] looked at. The ALS Criteria and Expectations Taskforce, which really hasn't started yet. But I actually have listed the sorts of things that we need to do.

Fortunately, this particular issue doesn't have to be ... We've got a long term – this is a long-term issue and even setting up the call for membership would be something practical that we could do as far as developing something that is progressing towards implementing this particular item.

I must admit it wasn't until I went through the ... I was going through other issues but not specifically to the item that we ended up having to do. So, that's still a work in progress and I'll work with Alan on that one. He's already got his work cut out for him, so I hope he's enjoying his retirement because he'll be coming out of retirement to do this. Is he

with us today? I haven't checked. Yes. This is fortunately something that we have got quite a bit of time to work on, but it doesn't mean to say that [we] can slack around. We'll definitely make a start on it soon.

So, after that brief report, I think we can go on to issue number three.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Last week, the board approved the budget, and in that budget, there is some funding for a temporary resource person. I'm really happy to say that we have identified someone who just was in touch today and we're going to move ahead as quickly as HR will allow us. And I am hoping that person will be able to start as soon as July and will be with us in Montreal for ATLAS. More details once we have moved forward officially on that. So, that item will be able to ... I'm quite positive that by the time of the report we will be able to put some more details of that resource person into this dashboard. Thank you, Maureen, and thanks Evin.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. Yes. That's looking really positive. Thank you very much. And the next one, the next issue. Okay, the leadership team. I guess for this particular one, I've actually have made a start on that one at least. There's just a little bit more tweaking that's involved. Sorry, I lost myself.

I put in ... There were four areas and I'm working on each of the different areas. I think the one area that I still need to work on with regards to his are the roles and responsibilities. It's something we don't

have and we do need to get some details on basically job description type of information so that people are aware of what their responsibilities are within a particular role, especially for the [inaudible] because we actually have new members within the team and that kind of stuff, that is something ... I think with other areas, I've covered within the expectations of it, but just a little bit more work on some of them. But the main area that I want to concentrate on over the next [two months] will probably be on that detailing rules and responsibilities which was actually one of the steps that was proposed. So, that's that one. Let me move to the next item.

Please, if there are any questions, do put them in the chat, although to be honest, I'm not actually seeing the ... No one is jumping out at me. Is Ricardo on?

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: Yes, I am on. Hello. Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: You can report on this one.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: Thank you. In this one, we had a meeting – Maureen, Heidi, Evin, and myself – last week. We [inaudible] to consolidate some of the groups that are there [inaudible] some of the groups that are not used just to be a mailing list group. That's one point.

The second point was to check on the rules of procedure. Maureen is going to check with Alan the rules of procedure related to the groups, the creation and the [inaudible] of the groups.

And the third one was to try to put in place some ways to repopulate the groups and also to follow or check how to follow the rules to put the new head of every group once a year at the annual general meeting, [inaudible] three items discussed. I don't know if there are questions. No? That's all? Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much. Yeah. Again, I have a few tasks to complete in that one. That's still happening. I've written a little to-do thing, so I do make sure that I actually do those because Ricardo has been the real driver for us in this particular activity and I do appreciate his interest and the work that he's done. Thank you, Ricardo.

So, moving on to our next item which is increased At-Large community awareness. Heidi and Evin.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is the social media one, correct? Evin, do you want to take this one since you're leading this one?

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Sure. Thanks, Heidi. As noted, I think it's on the dashboard and progress charts as well. We're planning an internal staff call this week to prepare an agenda for social media training not only for At-Large staff but also

for the policy department as a whole. The idea is that we get additional staff skill development in the area of social media and we're working directly with the ICANN communications team on this.

So, this week, we'll kind of [inaudible] the agenda and we'll look like we'll have that training on-site in Marrakech just before the meeting gets started. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Perfect. Thank you so much for that. So, this is a really positive step. It's not only going to be At-Large staff but also policy staff in general which is a big help. Also, another item that we might possibly put in here is that yesterday there was a joint call of the Social Media Working Group and the LACRALO Communications Working Group and they have agreed to collaborate and one of their first steps will be a webinar for LACRALO on social media. So, we're seeing that we're getting a lot of people, not only staff but also community members trained in social media aspects which I think will go a long way to move this issue forward. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Heidi. That's great progress, and also being more inclusive of just going that little bit beyond what the original idea was and I think that it's really good that we are extending those best practices that we're planning for one area into the others. So, thank you for that [inaudible] that I think it will really add something to our report. Awesome.

So, next one is issue 13 and that's outreach and engagement with Daniel and Alberto. One of you? Daniel?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Very slightly, Daniel.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: I'm speaking. Can you hear me?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: We can hear you, but can you please speak up? You're coming through very feint.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. I hope I can be loud. Can you hear me?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Yeah, that's much better.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. So, [inaudible] to the progress that has evolved, [inaudible] regional event. I'm happy to share that previously we got a [inaudible] report from Heidi regarding to the use of the discretionary funds and

CROP. [inaudible] very good [inaudible] outreach and engagement within the various regions.

Also, regarding to the use of the discretionary fund, we have had [inaudible] materials being printed and also some of the funding has gone through [inaudible] participants [inaudible] regional events. I think [inaudible] regarding to [inaudible] participation at regional events.

I'm also happy to share that despite the fact that we have [inaudible] chat but already, coming in from the Kobe meeting, we've seen that the regional leaders collaborative meeting within collaboration together with the RIR, [inaudible] in the different respective regional events. I think that's [inaudible]. We shall follow up with our colleagues [inaudible]. Back to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Daniel. Yes. I think there have been quite a few developments within the RALOs that are really applicable to this particular item. Yes. Do include them. I think [inaudible] mention to the work that we're actually doing within At-Large. And as I mentioned before, it's just expanding our best practices across into other areas and I think that's got to be good for us. It makes us look ... We're looking at improving [inaudible] and our activities within ICANN across our group anyway. Awesome. If we can get something that can indicate this into your dashboard, just to give us something that we can actually use in the report, that would be fantastic. So, next item is ... Yes? That little voice [inaudible]. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [inaudible]. Right. Obviously, much of what we're doing in metrics is of course enduring throughout the program that we have for implementing all of the other things, but the one thing that Gisella and I had intended to be able to report on during, well, what I now realize is a call today, which of course I didn't realize until several hours ago, was to have held, done our call for additional membership and refreshing membership of the ALAC subcommittee on metrics and also to have our first call this week.

So, what we've drafted on that now needs modification because the dates in that draft have got away from us, so that will be updated and forthcoming at the earliest possible convenience of fitting in the schedule as soon as possible. Yes, [inaudible] is definitely an adjective really applied to me, that obviously as we said last time, the metrics that we need to report come out of all of your activities for the other issues. So, the interdependencies are very, very important from us. And I did note in the action items earlier, Heidi pointed out, once [Salesforce] is starting to be used, some of the performance metrics that are alluded to will certainly be easier to manage and we will write that into our very meager reporting on issue 16 in this initial report. I think that's about it from me. Thanks, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you Cheryl. I agree that, again, it's sort of like the metrics could also include the metrics in relation to progress of the various issues that we're actually looking at. So, we'll be providing that as part of the report. As much as we can show that we're actually working towards the end point of our particular issues, although really, when all said and

done, the issues that we've got are things that continuous improvement side of things is always going to mean that we can always improve and we can always do better. But it's actually just, for the board and with respect to this as this achieving, first of all, what we actually said we were going to do for this particular activity – review activity, anyway.

So, now that we've gone through everything – and really, apart from [inaudible], I have to admit, issue two which hasn't even been looked at yet, everyone else is really doing well and progressing on their activity. That's really good to see.

I guess, as I've said, moving into the next steps and that's the interim report, we're going to need information for that. Cheryl has been integral, of course, to the other reports that we've actually provided for this particular activity and naturally I'm going to be relying on her a lot to make, create the setup for this particular report to which we will all contribute.

So, Cheryl, any ideas on how you would like things to be done, so that we can actually at least start working on it?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If everyone gets their own sections updated, that would help.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes. We're working on that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That would help.

MAUREEN HILYARD: We're all working on that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: With the core materials that will be referred to in this initial report, remembering it is an initial report, not a tome, not a missive. It's a flick-and-tick through a process at this point, needs to be easy to read and obviously a true and accurate record and a matter for both transparency of what's going on and an assurance that progress is being made, at least in a number of the areas. But the plan wouldn't be to have verbatim every word everybody's got in each of their sections, but to have those sections linked to so people can drill down if they are so motivated. And some of the OEC and the board may very well be motivated to do that.

But we'll be following the usual executive summary, high-level reporting, key points, whether or not it's going to be a pie chart, a percentage, or a straight line on how far everything has got on each one of the issues will be shown both graphically and in [inaudible] and we need to have the skeleton of that put together by the dates that you've previously organized which I think was about a fortnight in time or something like that, so that the ALAC can have sufficient time to look at a final draft before the due date.

So, once we've got a more fleshed-out report, there's already a place, a Google Doc, with the bare skeleton there. We'll remind the rest of the

group that they can log on and make comments so we can refine it when there's a [inaudible] bit more to refine. That's how I would approach it, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Sounds good. So, you're saying that we'll put it onto a Google Doc and people can actually make their contributions through there or do you want more ... I mean, I'd like to see more information on the dashboard anyway, because as you say, people will want to ... We'll make a summary statement but people may want to see what else is being done and how it's being carried out. So, this is why I think the dashboard ...

Although, for example, when we put the dashboards out originally, they had, like if you've got PDFs or any meetings or something like that, we're not doing the work in the same way as the accountability working group was working. So, because the groups or leaders may be working a little bit differently depending on what their activity is, their [inaudible] probably needs to be a little bit more information, not that we're actually going to use all that information in the report, but it does provide extra information if someone really [inaudible] from the OEC decided that they wanted to actually have a look [inaudible].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Exactly. Yeah. And so, it is important recognizing that that is the resource, that's the data spot, that's where data will be captured from to put into the report. And you asked about a Google Doc. The link is already there. Staff has had it set up [inaudible] skeleton already there.

So, I would suggest you leap into it now, although feel free if you want to start doing some drafting. But that's the doc that it's all going to be happening in. [inaudible] executive summary and some very basics in it.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Awesome. What I'd like to see is that leaders are actually populating the dashboard, getting some of the things – the things that have been raised today in regards to progress that we're unaware of because it's obviously been ... It's been written up somewhere but we really do need to have it on the dashboard. I think what we're trying to emphasize is that the dashboard is going to be an important resource for people who may want to look at – and drilling down, as Cheryl has mentioned.

For me, that would be a priority. I would expect that as a priority for our work track leaders to get the dashboard updated. Okay. So, now you know what needs to be done there and what the expectations will be for the report.

Our next agenda item, preparing for ICANN 65, I don't think it's supposed to be there because we've got [inaudible] ICANN 65 session coming up in a little while anyway. I know that during ICANN 65 we will probably provide some update for our community anyway, so that will probably take place [that we can say]. And I'm sure Gisella has got that down on her list somewhere.

Does anyone have any questions or queries with regards to anything that we've been talking about today? Any questions or queries about what their role is? Okay. I know, for example, for mine, one of the things that I have to do on my to-do list, as for Cheryl calling her metrics

group, is to call together a group for the ALS criteria working group. It's those sorts of things that I've got to get done

Our next call is going to be two weeks – one week? Let's make it one week because I'd really like to see—

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Maureen, you've got to leave a bit of space between the meetings. All you're doing is spending time during the meetings and not doing the work.

MAUREEN HILYARD: True. As long as the work is being done. I will check in the week but I think we decided on two weeks anyway, didn't we not? Yeah? Especially for this time. Two weeks. I'll give you two weeks to get the work up and running, done. Then [inaudible] the work in two weeks' time because it will be nearly ... We'll soon be going to Marrakech and it'll soon be the 23rd. Oh, if we go two weeks, that makes it the 22nd. Okay, 14 days. Do I hear Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen, in the next two weeks, the issue leaders start really updating their dashboards on the Wiki and then Cheryl, you, and Evin, and I can take that information and put it into a draft report that we might be able to then [inaudible] initial one during the next meeting and then we can maybe go to the final one the following meeting.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. You're right. We're saying here that issues need to be reported by the 23rd of May and that's two weeks' time. So, if we can just get that information in there, we're going to need it to actually start on that draft. So, perhaps what I'll do is I'll just follow-up with people individually if they need any help with anything. But get that information because, as we'll see, we'll have a small drafting team together working on that and we need to get it back to you hopefully before – within a week after that. Then take it to the ALAC before it goes onto wherever it's going – OEC. Okay, so two weeks.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Perfect. I'll reach out to board support to find out what the next steps for getting it in the format and to the board in time. OEC first and then the board.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Thank you. So, it's up to the team leaders now to get that information into the dashboards. So, we're finishing a little bit earlier. I'm giving you 15 minutes to actually start on that. We'll be in touch. I will be. Go and have a great day. Bye.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: Thank you, Maureen. Have a nice day.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Thank you all for joining the call. This meeting is now adjourned. Please remember to disconnect your lines. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]