
BRAD VERD: Welcome to the call to order of the official RSSAC meeting. I guess we start with roll call, so I'll start at the top. Cogent?

PAUL VIXIE: Here.

BRAD VERD: Paul Vixie. ICANN?

MATT LARSON: Here.

BRAD VERD: Matt Larson and Terry Manderson in the room. ISC?

JEFF OSBORN: Jeff.

BRAD VERD: Fred and Jeff are in the room. NASA?

TOM MIGLIN: Yeah.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

BRAD VERD: Tom is in the room. Netnod?

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Here.

BRAD VERD: Liman is in the room. RIPE-NCC?

KAVEH RANJBAR: Yes.

BRAD VERD: Kaveh is in the room. UMD?

KARL REUSS: Yeah.

BRAD VERD: Karl is in the room. USC?

WES HARDAKER: Wes and Suzanne are in the room.

BRAD VERD: Great. Thank you. US ARL?

KEN RENARD: Ken is here. Howard might join.

HOWARD KASH: Howard is online.

BRAD VERD: Great. Welcome, Howard. US DOD? So, Kevin Wright and Ryan are in the room. Verisign, myself, Brad Verd, is in the room. WIDE?

HIRO HOTTA: Here.

BRAD VERD: Hiro Hotta is in the room. Liaison to the board, Kaveh, is here. Liaison to CSC, Lars is here. Liaison to RZERC, I am here. Liaison to SSAC?

RUSS MUNDY: Russ is here.

BRAD VERD: Russ is here. Liaison to the IAB? [inaudible]? No? Okay. Not here. Liaison to IANA Functions Operator? Naela is in the room. And the RZM?

DUANE WESSELS: Duane is here in the room.

BRAD VERD: Great. Can we pull the agenda up, please?

RYAN STEPHENSON: There's Adobe Connect.

BRAD VERD: Yay! Alright. Every time a change is made, it goes full screen on me. Okay. So, we've done the roll call. Agenda we're going to do our normal administration. We've got some new caucus members to go through. Matt, Membership Committee chair, is not here. Carlos will go through it and we will vote on accepting those members. Then we've got some work items to talk through. We will talk through ICANN 65 planning at Marrakech. We'll do the reports from the liaisons and then any other business. So, with that, is there any other business or modifications to the agenda that people want to make? Nothing in the room. I don't see any hands raised.

Alright, let's go to administration, draft minutes. Ozan?

OZAN SAHIN: Yes. Thank you, Brad. I circulated the draft minutes last week to RSSAC mailing list and if you had a chance to review, all the action items have been completed and if you have any questions, ask now.

BRAD VERD: Thank you, Ozan. Any questions, comments? Do I have a motion to approve the minutes as presented on the mailing list?

WES HARDAKER: Wes moves.

RYAN STEPHENSON: Ryan seconds.

BRAD VERD: Thank you, Wes. Thank you, Ryan. Are there any objections to approving the minutes? Any abstentions? Alright, the minutes are approved. Thank you.

Next item is the caucus membership committee. We have a number of recommendations here. As I said, Matt is unfortunately not able to be with us today, but Carlos is going to cover these. Carlos?

CARLOS REYES: Thanks, Brad. So, as Brad mentioned, Matt Weinberg cannot join us. He's the chair of the Membership Committee. There are six candidates in the application queue right now. Two of them applied sometime after the Barcelona meeting and the Membership Committee asked for further information, so that's why there's been a delay in processing their application. And since the Kobe meeting, we've had four others. So, I'll review those here.

I think, based on the Membership Committee's discussion, these are mostly known community members [inaudible] different touchpoints within the committee. So, I imagine some of you may know some of

these applicants as well, so give me two seconds here and we'll go through them.

The first one is Mohamed [Abuahmed]. Mohamed applied before the ... Sorry, right after the Barcelona meeting. This is one of those applicants that the Membership Committee asked for further information. Let's see. He originally left off the motivation for membership, so we reached out to him again and he provided an addendum. Then after that, the Membership Committee went ahead and approved him.

So, I have these SOIs on the screen. They're also linked on the agenda if you'd like to review them on your own screen. The recommendation from the Membership Committee is that Mohamed be approved.

BRAD VERD:

Are there any questions regarding this applicant? No? Let's move on to the next one.

CARLOS REYES:

Okay. The next one is Jack [Bisadicki]. He's part of the team at NASA Ames. Again, the recommendation from the Membership Committee is that this candidate be approved.

BRAD VERD:

Any questions or comments regarding this applicant, Jack, from NASA? No? Next one.

CARLOS REYES: Alright. The next one is Paul [Abersman]. Again, there were a few – actually, all three members of the Membership Committee knew him and the recommendation is that Paul be approved as a caucus member.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Is this a forum where we provide input if we have knowledge of the people or are we just watching things go by?

BRAD VERD: I think the input here would be to ... I mean, if you wanted reaffirm and say this is going to be a good person, that would be a good time to add it. But more importantly, if there was a challenge that you saw, this would be the time to point that out.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I've known Paul for 30 years and he knows everyone and everything, so he's a great add.

BRAD VERD: Great. Thank you. Any comments or questions around Paul? No? Alright. Moving on to the next one. When we reach the end of these, we'll vote on all of them at once versus one doing each individually.

CARLOS REYES: [Dmitri Konolenkto], he applied after Barcelona and we asked him to provide his motivation. He also left that off originally. So, he provided an addendum with a motivation and some more background. Then the

Membership Committee reviewed that and is also recommending his approval. He's been in several RSSAC sessions and recent ICANN meetings.

BRAD VERD: Any questions about [Dmitri]? Alright, next one.

CARLOS REYES: Okay. The next one is [Willem]. Again, the recommendation from the Membership Committee is that he be approved.

BRAD VERD: Any comments or questions around [Willem]?

[LARS-JOHAN LIMAN]: If there's anyone who doesn't know him, he's a software guy at [inaudible] Labs and he's one of the guys who actually writes [NSD]. A very good person. I strongly recommend bringing him on.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah. I worked with [Willem] for years. I very strongly recommend him.

BRAD VERD: Alright. Next one.

CARLOS REYES: And the last one, this is the most recent statement of interest we received. It's from ICANN Org. Mauricio Vergara Ereche.

BRAD VERD: Any comments or questions around Mauricio?

TERRY MANDERSON: Mauricio works for me in my team. Also well-engaged with DNS OARC.

BRAD VERD: Thank you. Alright, so those are all six. The recommendation from the Membership Committee is to accept all six. Is there any further discussion on that? Any questions? If not, do I have motion to approve.

WES HARDAKER: Motion to approve by Wes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Second.

BRAD VERD: Wow. Is there any objection to accepting all six applicants as presented? Any abstentions? Alright, they are approved and accepted. Thank you. Can we have the agenda back, please?

Moving on. Work items. RSSAC statement on RSO independence. We spent the morning on that. We are not going to vote on it here. Current

plan is for Andrew will be sending out a clean draft. You probably already have. Yeah. Clean draft has been sent out. Please review it. The goal will be to finalize any input on that document this week, so by Monday. Then we'll do our seven-day stable document. We'll do an online vote the week following. So, not next week, the week following. And get that approved.

In the meantime, we will provide a draft document to the BTC. We've already talked to Kaveh about this. We'll provide a draft document that basically says that this is the current stable form and we expect to vote on this and have it approved. Are there any discussions, any comments, questions around that, concerns? No? Okay.

Moving on. [RSO] Metrics Work Party update.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

Want to hear more about metrics? I guess I'll just briefly recap, for the record. So, over the last few days of this workshop we had what we were calling an extended work party meeting and we presented the state of work parties so far, including some, I would call them, strawman proposals for metrics. We got a lot of good feedback from people in this room and people online. We have a lot of notes that my co-chair, Russ, and I need to take back and work into a revision to the document.

We're tentatively planning on having another work party meeting in two weeks. I guess, also, tentatively trying to meet our statement of work deadline of August 1 for completion of some kind.

Also worth mentioning, we're planning to ... As we discussed, we're planning to take some existing data – for example, from RIPE ATLAS – and try to apply that data based on the metrics that we have so we can start getting a baseline of what the metrics might look like, so that we can have discussions about what thresholds might be in the future. Anything else to add, Russ?

BRAD VERD: Any other questions, comments? No? Alright. Modern Resolver Behavior Work Party update. Fred?

FRED BAKER: Well, we're going to have a call on Monday morning. So, that's our update.

BRAD VERD: Okay. Any questions or comments or Fred? No? Okay. Moving on. Service Coverage Work Party. Discussion with RSSAC caucus members at the RSSAC workshop. Liman?

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Not much. At the – where were we last time? Kobe. The caucus meeting in Kobe, we decided to postpone from this work party and we discussed briefly here to bring it to life again and I understood that not for the moment was my take from that, that we need to further the work with the metrics document before we start to look at service coverage and

maybe for me, where parts of it can be folded into the Metrics Work Party. So, still dormant.

BRAD VERD:

Any questions or concerns around that? Okay. Moving on. ICANN 65 planning. Carlos?

CARLOS REYES:

Thanks, Brad. So, just as an update, earlier today there was a planning call for ICANN 65. That's one of the calls that Brad and Fred don't attend, so staff attends on their behalf. The schedule is still coming together. There have been a lot of discussions about how many cross-community or high-interest sessions, etc. So, once all that is settled ... Ken listened in on most of it for us ... Once all of that is settled, we'll put together the draft schedule for RSSAC. We had a brief admin meeting a few hours ago and tentatively focusing on thresholds and a few other items that are coming out of this workshop.

So, it will be a four-day meeting – Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday – June 25th through 28th. So, look for the draft schedule. I think in terms of travel support, that process has already happened, so for those of you that requested travel support, you should have processed all those requests already. But Ozan and I will be in touch about the dinner and things like that, so stay tuned. Russ?

RUSS MUNDY:

Quick question, Carlos. Is the general plan to start meeting as a group on the Saturday, Sunday?

CARLOS REYES: So, the answer is no. The official meeting is Monday through Thursday and there's no Saturday, Sunday like the other two meetings.

BRAD VERD: Okay. Any other questions regarding ICANN 65? Alright. We'll move into our reports from the co-chairs. We really have nothing new to share since last we spoke, last we saw everybody.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible] hour ago.

BRAD VERD: Well, since the last monthly meeting. You guys are very aware of everything we're doing, so unless you guys have questions, we'll move on. No questions? Alright. Kaveh, any report from the board?

KAVEH RANJBAR: Yes, I have a report and a question for the group. So, next week, first of May, we will have a meeting in Istanbul. I will be there. The idea is to go through the concept paper which was shared, the latest version. So, [inaudible] on the list [inaudible] no discussion on the content. People who read it generally said they [inaudible] don't have any additional comment. There was only one thing which was suggested, that maybe the main concept paper is not telling enough. So, I don't know if you

already have a new name or not, but we're trying to find a more descriptive name. That's it. Carlos, do we have a new name or ...?

CARLOS REYES: So, there was a suggestion on the BTC [mail] list, actually from Tripti, that the concept paper basically, the title referenced 37. So, the title in typical ICANN fashion is very long now. It's Concept Paper on a Community-Driven Process to Develop a Final Mile Based on RSSAC 37.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: What's the acronym?

BRAD VERD: Can you say that five times fast, please?

CARLOS REYES: No. But it was sort of a midpoint between mentioning 37, mentioning that it was community-driven, and mentioning concept paper which everyone said they want.

KAVEH RANJBAR: I think we can use concept paper, but just so you know, that will be a bit of change. I heard ICANN Legal also had some change which I think will be benign, but that's just some [small words] but that will be circulated. I haven't seen those yet [inaudible].

CARLOS REYES:

So, when we looked at the document, because so many different people had input, we spent a lot of time making editorial changes and we noticed that there were instances where, to keep it in line with 37, there were instances where the board needs to make certain actions because there may be contractual discussions. So, in those instances, we were specifically calling out the ICANN board rather than the ICANN community because community can't make that type of decision. It would be the ICANN board.

KAVEH RANJBAR:

So, what will happen in Istanbul, [inaudible] will go to the document. Hopefully, they will approve. Now comes the second part. First of all, [inaudible] presented, we are expecting two additional documents. So, 37 concept paper and two additional documents on governance coming from the work. I haven't yet seen them. I know there is a first draft shared with the BTC chair, Akinori, but it hasn't yet been circulated. As soon as it's circulated within BTC, I will of course forward to RSSAC so we can see.

Now, there is an opportunity here but it's up to us to decide and that's my question. There is a good possibility that BTC approves basically the concept paper and those two governance documents and send it to ... In Istanbul. And if that happens, we already have an agenda item for the board meeting in Istanbul which basically they would send all of this out for public comment, these four documents.

Our original schedule was in Istanbul, BTC will decide and then instruct the board to make that decision and make that resolution in Marrakech.

But there is a good opportunity or good possibility that we can make it happen in Istanbul.

One caveat here is, including myself, none of us have seen those two documents. But, that said, they're completely within Org's remit. They are not even coming from board or something or [inaudible]. And I know the expectation is, and I think Carlos can explain further, that any change is possible to them but Org expects all of that to be open and [inaudible] public comment.

So, we are not going to get an opportunity to [inaudible] the concept paper [inaudible] but in an informal way. Of course we will see them as soon as possible. I think, hopefully, if Akinori sends them this week or early next week, I will share it.

So, it's up to us to keep the agenda as it is, and if BTC approves, have a resolution go to public comment basically from after Istanbul meeting or we can say that we want to stick to the original schedule and we expect the board to have the resolution in Marrakech.

Technically, opportunities for us to make changes or comments, basically there's no difference from my understanding, and Carlos can comment, because as I said, those two documents are owned by Org, not by BTC or board. So, Carlos, if there's anything.

CARLOS REYES:

So, the two documents that Kaveh is referencing, they are mentioned in the concept paper. If you recall, the concept paper proposes a

governance working group to finalize everything. So, the governance working group would need a charter and basically a work plan.

If you remember the concept paper – and I’m happy to share shortly – if you remember in the concept paper there was a section where it outlines all the different steps that need to happen. What we did as Org, we took that content and we just applied a timeline to it.

So, assuming everything gets approved, the timeline starts in September and it runs through January 2022. So, we took all those steps and we applied a timeline for the Governance Working Group. So, that’s a work plan.

Then, the charter, we took the content from the concept paper and we just put it in the format that looks like an ICANN charter. So, there’s a purpose, a composition, etc.

So, as Kaveh said, these documents, because it’s part of implementation, it’s within the Org’s remit. Those would be published. We would prefer as Org to see any feedback on those officially through public comment, as Kaveh suggests. Once the BTC receives them, he can share them informally, so there’s that option now. So, I just want to clarify that. Ryan?

RYAN STEPHENSON:

Thanks, Carlos. Thank you for the update. When you say 2022, is that ICANN fiscal year 2022?

CARLOS REYES: January 2022, calendar.

RYAN STEPHENSON: January 2022, thank you.

KAVEH RANJBAR: So, is there any objection? If BTC approves, basically, to have the board resolution in Istanbul and then having the public comment? I think then it would start before Marrakech even, or maybe during Marrakech. I don't know.

CARLOS REYES: So, if the board approves this on May 3rd, it will probably take a week for us to prepare everything, so sometime mid-May the public comment would start.

KAVEH RANJBAR: Okay. So, this is a possibility. If it happens, of course I will keep RSSAC [posted].

WES HARDAKER: Sorry, I missed the timeline. January 2022 is the point at which the GSG, the GWG, would finish their work?

CARLOS REYES: So, the GWG would probably finish work before that because then we would be entering into revisions, contracts, etc., SLAs. Whatever

happens during the process. January 2022 is when we envision the new model taking effect.

KAVEH RANJBAR:

But you're getting [off course]. We, like anyone else, will have formal opportunity to comment on that and say if we see issues with that.

BRAD VERD:

Okay. Thank you, Kaveh. No further questions, right? Alright. Liman, anything from the CSC?

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN:

CSC had its regular meeting on the 15th or around thereabout. It was not much out of the ordinary. We had a very good report from the PTI as usual. I've been [inaudible] on this going. Changes to the contract that governs the relationship between the PTI and the – what's the term? The direct customers of the PTI, isn't it? Yes. The ccNSO and GNSO in order to simplify ... A process to simplify changes to the contract. The contract is very much cast in stone and it triggers a lot of things that needs to go on that. I reported on that before. But now we've never been so close as now.

At that meeting, changes were about to happen in the following week. I don't know if they ever did, so I look to Naela for that. Has this actually reached conclusion now?

NAELA SARRAS: So, the deadline that my colleagues gave was April 30th, so I'm expecting it to happen. They're very close. They just have to do the signatories and post the data and all that. I think we're still on track for April 30th.

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Alright. Excellent. As soon as that is in place, we have two changes that want to happen in parallel. One is the technical tests that created problems for [inaudible]. Smudges in the report is probably the right term because they are not [inaudible]. The current numbers is a bit of a paper product, and when you actually put the tests in place, it turns out that some of them are not quite reasonable.

In the future upcoming process, there are tracks. One for small changes that can be done in a small negotiation between parties and larger tests that need public consultation. And there are two things, one which will hit each track as soon as it's in place where [inaudible] just a matter of [time thresholds] that need to be modified. The other one is regarding label generation rule sets for – what's it called? IDNs that needs more processing.

So, let me see if there was anything else. Yes. The CSC was subject for a periodic review. There were a couple of things that the review team commented on. One was that we ought to produce some kind of reaction or presentation as a response to individual complaints that reach the CSC. The CSC is supposed to be a systemic auditing function and it's not designed by specification, not designed to handle individual cases but still people bring them to us and there should be a process to

respond to that which we haven't had in place yet. So, we're going to fix that.

There's been a bit of – I wouldn't call it a problem but there are specifications for attendance at these meetings. So, you're not allowed to be absent from the meetings to a large extent and that has triggered a bit of actions here, so we're now creating a feedback process to the various SOs and ACs, how their liaisons and members attend these meetings.

Also, the review team asked us to create an onboarding process for new members. We are now starting to see shift in the membership, so we need to have an onboarding process for that and that is already half done.

Also, to create a document that explains the various skills requirements for new members so that the various SOs and ACs can appoint good people for this committee.

I don't know if there's anything else that is important. I don't think so. There's actually one kind of gridlock here. The IANA Functions review team, which is something again comes out as a result from the IANA transition, the composition of that is quite well-specified. One of the problems is that it specifies that there should be a person appointed by a ccTLD registry who is not a member of the ccNSO. And there are precious few of those. The ones who are not members of the ccNSO, they are not members because they are not interested or don't want to participate, so finding such a person has been very difficult and this is now hanging in deadlock because the rules say there has to be such a

person but there is no way to find one, so we will have to change the rules and everything is just in holding pattern. But I think people are working to try to solve that.

End of report. Questions?

BRAD VERD: No questions for Liman? Great. Thank you, Liman. Kaveh, you had something to add to yours.

KAVEH RANJBAR: Yes. I wanted to mention in the board meeting in Istanbul, there are two other items related to RSSAC. Of course, we are familiar with them, but just to mention them. One is that 000v4 with a change for basically the [inaudible] co-chairs to chair vice chair, that's going through. And the other one is the review. So, basically the outcome of the review and the recommendations which we have actually [inaudible] some of those, but there are a few remaining. Again, no surprise. We have all seen them. But just so you know, there are these two plus the concept paper and 37 are on the board agenda for Istanbul.

BRAD VERD: Great, thank you. Any questions? Alright. RZERC report is nothing to report. There's been no activity, nothing going on within RZERC. Russ, you wanted to add?

RUSS MUNDY: No, I was [inaudible].

BRAD VERD: Unless there are questions for the RZERC? No. We'll go to Russ on the SSAC.

RUSS MUNDY: Thanks. Nothing of particular import other than the SSAC name collision project has restarted and sent a note to the list this morning, so there's [inaudible]. At this point in time, that project is open for any participant that wants to join and contribute to the names collision activity.

Just a summary for those that might not be familiar with it. The previous round of gTLDs, there was a lot of consternation about should something be delegated or not? Is there a name collision problem? And a bunch of activity around that occurred. The board tasks SSAC about a year and a half ago to come up with a way to provide a better, more technically sound basis for making decisions about that. Bounced around in SSAC for a little while, between SSAC and board, and now OCTO – amongst that, OCTO is very engaged in that and our own Matt Larson here from [RSSAC] is at least for now the lead person from OCTO that's engaged in the SSAC NCAP activities. Do you want to add anything, Matt?

MATT LARSON: Just make sure to know where all the chairs are when the music is going, so when it stops, you still have a chair – because I didn't on this one, so ...

I guess the next thing ... First, I'll just echo what Russ said, that anybody can join. This is kind of unusual for the way SSAC is doing this. There's an SSAC NCAP Work Party that's been expanded to be called ... I guess we're calling it a discussion group. Anybody can participate in that. Russ sent the link to the announcement. As the link describes, in the discussion group, you'll need to provide an SOI if you want to contribute as opposed to just lurk.

The next thing that's going to happen, as OCTO anticipates, we'll outsource the work. There's three studies. We're concentrating on the first study. We'll be outsourcing that. So, the first thing that has to happen is we're finding a statement of work so that we can then prepare an RFP that will go through the usual ICANN procurement process. So, that's where we are.

BRAD VERD:

Great, thank you. Any questions? Alright. Moving on. Report from the IAB. Danielle is not present, so we will move on. IANA Functions Operator. Naela, anything to share?

NAELA SARRAS:

Yeah. Two quick things. So, last week we spent two days in IANA just going over the project, prioritizing. The intention is to go over what we can finish with before the end of the fiscal year and then what we need to push over to the next fiscal year [inaudible] in preparation for the IANA [inaudible] process which will start very soon here in June. And the PTI bylaws require that the IANA – before making the budget, before coming up with the numbers, that they [inaudible] the ideas of the

priorities of the customers and then get input before we put together the [inaudible]. So, expect that in June when we are in Marrakech. We will be talking to the different constituencies and asking are we focusing on the right things? What things do you think we should be working on, etc.? So, I'll bring that to Marrakech when we're there, just to go over what our priorities are and see if there's things that you all think we should be doing that we're not focusing on. And that's for the fiscal year starting July 21. Thank you.

BRAD VERD: Thank you, Naela. And the Root Zone Maintainer. Duane?

DUANE WESSELS: I believe nothing to report.

BRAD VERD: Any questions? No? Alright. Any other business? Is there anything to add before I cover any other business? Anybody want to add anything to the agenda here? No? Okay.

The last thing to cover is, again, this is our May meeting that we're having right now, so there is no meeting in May. Our next meeting will be June 4th. It will be on the teleconference. So, unless there is anything else ... Sorry, Kaveh, go ahead.

KAVEH RANJBAR: No, I think it's just ... It's basically to thank ICANN for organizing this and Verisign for supporting, sponsoring the dinner. Thank you to everyone who was part of planning and organizing.

BRAD VERD: Thank you to everyone.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I want to make a special note to Russ because I did not think that anybody could sit there in one place and talk about metrics for as long as he did. I would have said that no one could do that. So, thank you for proving me wrong. Also, thank you for making it interesting. I think that a lot of us got more engaged because it was done this way than trying to get us to review documents.

RUSS MUNDY: Well, Duane has been a huge, huge help. We're co-chairs. Thanks to the group for engaging in this discussion. It's been I think a big help for moving forward the work party work. Thanks to everybody.

BRAD VERD: Great. So, unless there's something else, we will adjourn our formal RSSAC meeting and end it. Thank you very much. You can stop the recording.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]