
BRENDA BREWER: Hello, everyone. This is Brenda speaking. Welcome to SSR2 Review Team Plenary Call #69 on the 9th of May 2019 at 14:00 UTC.

Attending the call today, we have Russ, Laurin, Norm, Boban, Denise, Scott, and Kerry-Ann. I did not receive any apologies. We have no observers at this time.

Attending from ICANN Org is Jennifer, Negar, Steve, and Brenda.

Today's call is being recorded. Please state your name before speaking for the transcript. And Russ, I'll turn the call over to you. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. The first thing I was hoping to [hear] is the status on the tech writer.

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Hi, Russ. I'm happy to give you a quick update on that. I spoke with our HR team and they advised that since the background check has not quite completed yet, the technical writer should not be joining calls this week. However, they are expecting the report to be finalized by close of business on Friday, and as such, starting Monday the technical writer will be able to join your call, the leadership call, and in subsequent discussions and conversations that you may want to have with them.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, thank you. It's really important that all the teams have their homework done in time for the Brussels meeting so that we can [inaudible].

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: Hi, Russ. I can hardly hear you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: How about now?

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: Yes. It's much better now. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you. So, it's really important that all of us have our homework done for the Brussels meeting, so that [inaudible] there having given that tech writer a big pile of work to do.

The approach that we're taking – you've probably seen this in your email already – is to spend the first day in topic groups, getting together to make sure that what they have is finished. I know that the compliance folks will need the most of time there because they're not having a phone call with the ICANN Org compliance folks until next Monday. So they won't have a lot of time [inaudible], so my guess is they will need more time than the rest of the topic teams.

The second day will then be spent with those topic teams presenting to the entire review team, so that we can reach consensus. Then the third

day will be spent on the resulting recommendations from those discussions. Does that make sense in terms of the workflow for the three days [inaudible]? Okay. So, that will be the plan.

So, the next thing that I'd like to do today is make sure that there's not anything other than that compliance phone call that hasn't happened yet. It blocking the topic teams from getting their work done. Jennifer, could you paste the status URL for the status Google Doc, please?

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Hi, Russ. It's in the chat. I'll just repost it to make sure it's the last link there.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Thank you. Okay. So, I don't want to spend a huge amount of time on this but I do want to make sure that anything that is blocking the team from getting its work done is identified and we find out how to remove that obstacle.

So, let's start with the ICANN SSR. A couple of these are yellow or yellow-green. One is red. The one that's read is about that phone call that hasn't happened yet. So, is there anything we can do to allow progress to go on the ones that are yellow? The information security management, for example.

So, none of these team members are on the call right now. Is that right? Okay. Can we scroll that down? Thank you. Is there anything we need to do on six?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No. I'm still waiting for a response for one question. I have not got that. I can write up the rest of it, but that section just leave blank for now.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Alright. Moving down to the DNS SSR [stream]. Name collisions – I'm sorry. The business continuity plan, I see we're still waiting for two answers, so it's still the case.

BOBAN KRSIC: Yes. I just added this sentence there, so we are still waiting for two answers, [inaudible].

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Jennifer or Negar, can you push that along because we really need to have those answers for the meeting next week.

JENNIFER BRYCE: So, I [inaudible] SMEs who are [inaudible] still outstanding waiting on answers from and they assured me they will get the answers ahead of the meeting. I asked for early next week at the latest, although obviously we'll get them before them. But we're still chasing them and hopefully we'll get them soon. Thanks.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes. Thank you. Okay. So, moving to the next one, name collisions. Denise and Eric are working this. Denise is the only one on the call. I don't know why this one is yellow. Is there something we can do here? Denise, if you're talking, you're muted.

DENISE MICHEL: Hi, guys. Can you hear me?

RUSS HOUSLEY: We can now, yes. Thank you.

DENISE MICHEL: Great. Eric and I have the draft text. We just have one issue to resolve. We should be able to post the draft for everyone to look at early next week.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Great, thank you. Alright. The next one is the best practices on system hardening for L-root. We don't have either Naveed or [inaudible] with us, so we don't know where that one is.

The next one is Eric and Naveed. We have no status on the accountability and transparency. Neither one of them is here.

The next one that is yellow is the IANA registry availability measurements. Scott, can you tell us where we are in that.

SCOTT MCCORMICK: I just can't draft on that one. I haven't had time. I just [kicked auditors] out of my office yesterday, so I will get on that for next week's call.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you. Okay. The next one that's yellow is the reactive versus proactive compliance. Denise, you're leading this one.

DENISE MICHEL: Yeah. We're waiting until the compliance call to complete the draft text on that.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Oh. This one is also waiting on the call. Yes. Okay. I should have read the note. Thank you. The next one is leadership [inaudible]. That also is waiting on the phone call.

The IDN one is still waiting on two answers. So, we have text. We just are waiting on those questions to see if we can make any changes to that text. Also, again, Jennifer can you ping people to make sure we get those?

The next one that is yellow is domain name hijacking. Zarko is not [inaudible], so can either Denise, Norm, or Boban tell us where we are?

BOBAN KRSIC: I have no update on this topic. Norm, do you have anything new?

NORM RITCHIE: No. I have nothing new.

DENISE MICHEL: Nope, me either. I guess I'll send an email around and see where we are and what we need to do to get a draft text out next week.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Thank you. Okay. So, that moves to future challenges. Eric is the lead. He's not here. So, Denise, Norm, or Boban, tell us where we are with coalescence because this one is still blank.

So, we saw an email last week that Eric is not going to be able to make it to Brussels, so it would be good if one of the other three working this took the lead to that we're sure we have text.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I'm sorry, Russ, which one is this?

RUSS HOUSLEY: The first one in future challenges, coalescence of registries, registrars, and backend operators.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thanks.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. So, the next one, Laurin, you're leading, which is access to data and [written] info. It's funny that you need to coalesce but you don't mean that in the sense of [inaudible]. Laurin, if you're trying to talk, you're muted. Did we lose Laurin? Okay. Can one of the others working on this share?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Sorry, are you on access to data?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yeah, I think [inaudible]. I wish I had something more to say here. Let me synch up with Laurin and get back to the list.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, thank you. And number four in the future challenges is new uses for DNS such as IoT and that team hadn't gotten together yet last week. I'm hoping that's changed. Kerry-Ann?

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: We had email exchanges trying to see how to coordinate before Brussels. Most of us are available tomorrow, so on the last exchange, we're going to try and reach out to Jennifer just to see if she could help. If not, I'll probably just set up a Zoom. We're going to try and talk about

it, but we haven't been able to meet as yet. But we're trying to aim for tomorrow to meet.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Alright. The next one that's yellow Noorul is leading. He's not here. Which is root server system protection, assessing the top threats. So, Laurin, Norm, or Kerry-Ann, since Noorul is not here, do you know where we are?

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: I think Laurin's audio isn't working. I haven't seen anything much on this one.

NORM RITCHIE: I have seen nothing.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: Probably should be red and not yellow. I'm not sure why it's yellow.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Can one of you reach out to Noorul and see if you can get this to happen, so we come to Brussels prepared?

And lastly is the privacy protections. It's the same group of people. The only difference is the leader is Eric who is also not here.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: I think we have most of the responses. It's just we have to get together and start drafting. I'm not sure if Eric has started as yet to circulate any text, but I haven't seen any email exchanges yet but I think we have most of the responses.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Can everybody hear me now?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay. Just as a note on the stuff where Eric is lead, I offered to essentially have a chat with him and kick this over, talking through and take this over but we haven't [inaudible] for that yet. So, I hope this will happen before Brussels. Unfortunately, he's not on the call so we can't do that.

And regarding the data thing where I couldn't be heard, I posted in chat. I'm sure there will be something to speak about and discuss in Brussels for that one even though probably not in ready recommendations, but definitely something to talk about.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. So, in response to one of our questions, we were basically told, "That's too sensitive. We're not going to tell you." So, I guess we have a couple ways to deal with that. One is to write up recommendations as

some synopsis need to be shared but with the whole community or to argue back about why we need that information. So, I was kind of hoping then that that topic team would come to Brussels with a suggestion, try and get the rest of the team to the same plan. Does that make sense?

Okay, not hearing anybody push back on that, so I'll assume that's the way we're going to handle that.

Okay. That brings us to the end of the agenda. Is there any other business?

Okay, hearing none, Jennifer, would you remind us of the actions?

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Thanks, Russ. So, I have an action to follow-up with the SMEs that have answers [inaudible] to the questions and team members have the action to do the homework ahead of the Brussels meeting to finish as much drafting on the topics. That's all I have unless there's anything else to add. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

That's all I know about. Alright. Looking forward to seeing everybody in Brussels. Safe travels.

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Thanks, everyone.

BOBAN KRSIC:

Bye. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]