
BRENDA BREWER: Good day, everyone. Welcome to SSR2 Review Team plenary call #68 on May 2, 2019 at 14:00 UTC. Attending the call today is Laurin, Norm, Kaveh, Noorul, Russ, KC. We have apologies from Alain, Danko, and Jennifer. From ICANN Org, we have Negar, Steve, and Brenda. Today's call is being recorded. I'd like to remind you to please state your name for the record and I'll turn the call over to Russ. Thank you.

RUSS MUNDY: Brenda, I also see Norm.

BRENDA BREWER: I'm sorry, Russ. Say that again.

RUSS MUNDY: I also see Norm.

BRENDA BREWER: Okay. I had Norm listed already but thank you for saying that.

RUSS MUNDY: I missed you say it. So, I think the first thing is the tech writer update, Negar.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

NEGAR FARZINNIA:

Thank you, Russ. Hello. Good morning, good afternoon, everybody. You might have seen from your e-mails last week that I had distributed a list of two candidates that gone through the process and they had checked, if not all but almost all, of the boxes in terms of requirements. We presented the two candidates to you for the technical writer role. Yesterday ... No, the day before yesterday, I believe, Russ was trying to muster, collect everyone's input and provide us with the review team's final choice. Candidate B is the candidate that you guys are moving forward with. We are starting to finish off the contracting process. The background check, that's expected to take just a few days. And with the way things are progressing, I think that by middle-ish of next week, the person should be able to fully start their work with the review.

I can't reveal their name just yet until they go through the background check process and everything clears. As soon as that happens, though, I will happily provide more information to you guys. We are also working to bring this candidate to the face-to-face meeting in Brussels so that the person is on hand when you guys are doing your writing for the draft report.

Jennifer and I are here to help answer any questions that you have, that the candidate will have obviously when starting this work. I'm really looking forward to getting this person started on the work that you guys have undertaken.

RUSS MUNDY:

Thank you. It sounds like there's a good chance they could join us on the call a week from today.

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Yes, Russ. That's what it sounds like. I'm working very closely with our human resources team on the progress. They're finishing off the contracting and the background check. That's my estimate, that they'll be able to join next week's call. If anything changes, though, I'll let you know.

RUSS MUNDY: Okay. Thank you. We very much want this person on board before the Brussels meeting.

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Yeah. Absolutely understood.

RUSS MUNDY: Okay. At this point, Jennifer normally posts the link in the chat for the Google Doc. Why don't you do that, please?

NEGAR FARZINNIA: So, Brenda is working on pulling the link up for the status table. Meanwhile, your audio is really, really faint. Just wanted to let you know it's hard to hear you.

RUSS MUNDY: How about now?

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Oh, much better.

RUSS MUNDY: Alright. So, there's not very many people on the review team here but what I'd like to find out is if there is anything that the team can do to remove obstacles towards getting through the things, the various topics we've decided to investigate. Sure, some of them may not lead to any report text or a recommendation. We just want to make sure that we are making progress so that we can get the writing done in Brussels.

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Just letting you know that we are working on pulling up the link to the status document table. Bear with us for a couple of seconds. Meanwhile, Steve has been kind enough to post the link in the chatroom. I think something is changing. Let me see. We should have it up in a few minutes. There you go. Almost pulled up.

RUSS MUNDY: So, I want to go through this fairly quickly but the first thing I want to find is anything that's blank or red, [inaudible] the team [inaudible].

The first one that is red is in the ICANN SSR work stream. That's item number 7. My understanding is that this is red because of the phone call that's scheduled with compliance folks. That is currently scheduled for May 13th. I know some people were investigating whether we could move that up. That's where we are at the moment. So, that's going to take place just in time, so I think we'll have to spend face-to-face time in

Brussels digesting the results of that call. Does anybody have any news on that one?

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Yes. Call is scheduled. It was due to travel on compliance's side that it couldn't be done earlier. And I guess we can kind of go to a yellow, meaning that we will definitely have something to talk about in Brussels. However, I would very much doubt that text production can happen considering this is just one day before travel day for a lot of people who will be on that call.

RUSS MUNDY:

Okay. Let's scroll down. I see we have a blank one in the DNS SSR work stream. It's in section three, the accountability and transparency with respect to risks and benefits. Eric and Navid are working this. Naveed, I understand you have the pen.

STEVE:

I think Naveed is having issues with Zoom and governmental policy, so I'm not sure if he is actually on the call.

RUSS MUNDY:

Yeah, I just had to flip screens to get to the list of attendees and he's not there. Neither is Eric. Okay, so we're going to have to skip this one. The next one that is blank has Scott's name. He's not here either.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I started looking over these yesterday because I had time. I hadn't gotten to this one yet. I've been working on the other two. I was looking at it yesterday. So, I'll get to that over this weekend probably.

RUSS MUNDY: Great. You can forward us some text in the Google Doc. But at this point, I thought I saw an e-mail from you that said you had [no further questions].

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Correct. Yeah.

RUSS MUNDY: Alright. So, there's nothing blocking you from doing the writing. Is that right?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Correct.

RUSS MUNDY: Okay. The next one that is blank is under section 7 which is domain name hijack. I think Zarko has the lead. Denise, Norm, Eric, and Boban are helping. Norm, can you say anything about this?

NORM RITCHIE: Sorry. Just searching for the unmute. There's no update on that but I'm not overly concerned about this one because the discussions in Kobe,

we basically set all the measures and recommendations and best practices that are in place and have been there for quite a while. It's just a matter of finding a way to have those implemented. So, I don't think there's anything standing in the way of this one other than doing it.

RUSS MUNDY: So there's no obstacles.

NORM RITCHIE: I don't think so.

RUSS MUNDY: Okay. Thank you. Let's move down to the future challenges. The first one, coalescence of registries, registrars, and backend operators. Eric is not on the call. Denise is not on the call. Boban is not on the call. Norm, can you say anything on this one?

NORM RITCHIE: No. There's no update on that one. I don't have anything to add on that.

RUSS MUNDY: Okay. Item number 4 here is red. What we said last week is the team just needs to get [inaudible]. Laurin, Eric, Kerry-Ann, and Naveed.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I sent out an e-mail to get a meeting time and did not get sufficient response to schedule anything. So, even though the action point was dealt with, there is no progress on that one.

RUSS MUNDY: So I think we should leave it [right] at this point. Okay.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I can try and e-mail everyone again, but the issue is I'll be traveling myself the next few days. Yeah. I might only do it just before next week's call if [inaudible].

RUSS MUNDY: I understand. We're all facing our own calendars and the more people no the topic team, the harder it is. Okay. There's a bunch of these marked yellow. I don't want to go through each one but is anyone on the call that can identify an obstacle with either staff or the team—

SCOTT MCCORMICK: If we scroll up, I think Noorul and I had about the ICANN – what was it? Sorry, I'm on my phone so I'm trying to remember which one it was. I want to say it was under work stream two or three. Staff's response to our questions was that they wouldn't disclose any of the answers to our questions even under NDA, so we will be blocked on that. I believe I had forwarded something yesterday to the team.

RUSS MUNDY: This is the access to data and info research on important abuse vectors and attack vectors?

SCOTT MCCORMICK: No. It was ... Sorry, trying to pull it up on my phone here.

RUSS MUNDY: This was the security incident management under—

SCOTT MCCORMICK: Yeah.

RUSS MUNDY: So, on this one, it's red is what you're saying?

SCOTT MCCORMICK: Yeah. The staff response was they wouldn't disclose anything. It's too soon, basically. Then they asked why this pertains to DNS or to SSR2, which I'll gladly respond but their response was not favorable to get this answered.

RUSS MUNDY: So, I guess that what we need to do on that one is talk when the whole team is together in Brussels about what we want to do in the report regarding that. We either can drop it or we'll say we need to figure a way for some subset of this information to be shared [inaudible].

SCOTT MCCORMICK: Correct. That sounds great.

RUSS MUNDY: Okay. Are there any other topics here where anyone on the call is aware of an obstacle?

NORM RITCHIE: I think a number of these items are things on the [inaudible] and discussions with compliance and I see that ... First one thing. I believe it's the 14th, not the 13th, [when it's going to be scheduled].

Secondly, there's only one hour scheduled, and the way these sessions go, you spend about 20 minutes saying hello and that doesn't leave much time for any meaningful discussions. [inaudible] I guess about six different topics. I wonder if we can get more time?

RUSS MUNDY: You're right. We do have like five or six topics and if we spend ten minutes on each one, that's an hour.

NORM RITCHIE: I can't hear you, Russ. You're fading again.

RUSS MUNDY: Wow, I got it [inaudible]. Can you hear me?

NORM RITCHIE: Yes.

RUSS MUNDY: Okay. So, you're right if we spend ten minutes on each of the topics, that's the full hour right there [inaudible]. So, can we see if we can stretch that to 90 minutes? Negar?

NEGAR FARZINNIA: What did you want to stretch to 90 minutes?

RUSS MUNDY: The call with compliance on the 13th.

NEGAR FARZINNIA: The call with compliance on the 13th. I'll check the [inaudible] and let us check with the team members that have to be involved in the call and I'll let you know what they come back with. I don't think it should be a problem but we'll check with them.

RUSS MUNDY: Thank you. Anything else? Alright. Thank you, all. Please keep putting text in the Google Doc. We need it so that we can be productive when we get to Brussels. Thank you.

I guess, Brenda, do you want to take us through the action items and the decisions?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Russ, we might have an additional AOB point. There was some discussion on the mailing list regarding the DNS Symposium which I think has not been addressed really. It just went back and forth who was attending, what are we doing, etc. So, I think where we stand on this from my position is that we were considering going there for our face-to-face. It didn't work out, and right now we have no real plans to do anything there if I am correct. Right?

RUSS MUNDY: That is my understanding. I thought there might be some individuals who were planning to dial in for day job reasons, and if they do that, that's fine. But right now we don't know as a team [when].

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay. I will reply to [inaudible] and the other people who were chatting on list about this, that there is nothing specifically planned but that people who go there should maybe meet up or see what's going on and report back.

RUSS MUNDY: Okay. Report back in Brussels if there's any work [inaudible] e-mail list [inaudible] that they learn something [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Russ, I can't hear you.

RUSS MUNDY: They can report to the mail list or face-to-face in Brussels if they learn something that affects our work.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Okay. I missed that. Who is attending?

RUSS MUNDY: I don't think anyone is attending. I think there were some people who talked about dialing in. Any other any other business?

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Alright. Russ, if nothing else, I'm happy to read out the action items for the call. Just a few items only. One is that on the status table document, the review team should continue working on their topic items and continue to provide content. The team to collectively discuss how to address items that are blocked at the Brussels face-to-face meeting. There is an action to request an increase to the compliance call to 90 minutes [inaudible] schedule on the 13th. And last but not least, for the team members who are attending either remotely or in person the DNS Symposium conference to report back to the review team either in Brussels or on the mailing list if they have anything to report that pertains to the work of the review.

RUSS MUNDY: Sounds good. Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you, all.

BRENDA BREWER: Thanks, everyone.

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]