
MICHELLE DESYMTER: Welcome, everyone. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. Welcome to the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement call on Thursday the 25th of April 2019 at 17:00 UTC.

On today's call, we have Glenn McKnight, Anne Marie Joly-Bachollet, Priyatosh Jana, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, John Laprise, Adrian Schmidt, Natalia Filina, Remmy Nweke, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Ejikeme Egbugu, Harold Arcos, Flip Petillion, Lilian Ivette Du Luque, Dave Kissoondoyal, Maritza Aguero, Katamba Joan, Vrickson Acosta, Shreedeeep Rayamajhi, Siranush Vardanyan, Marita Moll, Sébastien Bachollet, Maureen Hilyard, Lianna Galstyan.

Apologies noted from Alberto Soto, Vanda Scartezini, and Ricardo Holmquist. From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber, Andrea Glandon, and on call management, myself, Michelle DeSmyter. As a reminder to everyone, if you would please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. And please keep your phones and microphones on mute when not speaking to avoid any background noise. With this, I will turn the meeting back over to Dev Anand. Please begin.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. Dev or Daniel? Michelle?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

MICHELLE DESYMTER: Yes.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Are you handing it over to Dev or Daniel?

MICHELLE DESYMTER: Daniel. My apologies. Thank you. Go ahead, Daniel.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Alright. Thank you very much.

MICHELLE DESYMTER: Please stand by. I think we lost audio. One moment.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Michelle, I can still hear [inaudible].

DANIEL NANGHAKA: I think for the moment, I'll use Adobe Connect unless otherwise. I happened to lose my connection on the Adobe Connect. Welcome to the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement, and already, I'm super excited with the agenda, the interesting things

that have been happening over the previous times that we've been away.

Starting right from the Kobe meeting, we had very interesting sessions in Kobe, and also, I'm happy to mention that we had a readout in Kobe on the final version of the outreach and engagement strategy which was [inaudible] very good and well received from all the members that were available in the room, and also, I'm happy to share that the strategy, this is going to be uploaded in the Wiki, and for different references that will be coming in.

Also a brief update on the NPOC and NCUC session. A report was generated of the session that took place between the At-Large and NPOC. And the theme of the session was sharing resources in the policy development process with the aim to enhance collaboration within the PDP process and to engage more participation with reference to policy engagement and adoption.

We had John Laprise giving remarks on the overviews of At-Large, as well as Joan, the NPOC chair was able to highlight what the nonprofit organizations do and ways in which we can be able to collaborate.

Further to the session, we had Raoul Plommer who is the NPOC vice chair who happened to give a presentation on how can we be able to protect our data with reference to the GDPR issues, and

we had Steve Chen who came into the session and walk members through the different ICANN policy development processes.

Some of the key recommendations that came out from this session was that there's still need for collaboration to educate members by both NPOC and ALAC, and organize [inaudible] or workshops beginning from getting around the ICANN ecosystem, creating joint policy statements with an issue on introduction to civil society, [certificates of accomplishments,] and then also, one of the things that came up was development of a joint NPOC-ALAC strategy.

Currently, from this call, I'm not so sure how we're going to be able to go about this, but I'm going to refer that issue of development of the joint NPOC-ALAC strategy to Maureen who is the chair for ALAC such that we can be able to have this discussion at ALAC level.

Then also another thing that happened during the discussion was the sharing of the hot topics and also to identify issues of mutual consent between ALAC and NPOC.

[There's also the social meeting campaigns directed] towards ALSes for protecting user data which also came up strongly within the ALAC-NPOC session.

Still, there is still quite some interesting things that happen to be coming up within [inaudible] collaboration, which will be shared

more and more. I think an action point we have at this juncture is probably the issue of the drafting of ALAC-NPOC strategy, or At-Large-NPOC strategy to be reverted to ALAC or the chair of At-Large.

Allow me to proceed with the agenda number 3C, which is a report on how our performance at the booth was in Kobe. Can I give the floor to either Ali or Glenn to be able to give us a brief [inaudible] both reports? Are you on the call, Ali Almeshal?

ALI ALMESHAL: [The booth had a good traction] for people to come there on a certain time which was [inaudible].

DANIEL NANGHAKA: [Ali, you have the floor.]

ALI ALMESHAL Do you hear me?

MICHELLE DESYMTER: Yes, we can hear you.

ALI ALMESHAL Thanks. Okay. What I was saying is that [inaudible]

DANIEL NANGHAKA: [inaudible] audio challenges from Ali. [inaudible] Glenn is requesting [inaudible] and Ali's connection is back.

GLENN MCKNGIHT: Sure. Hi. Can you hear me okay? Okay. Thanks, everybody. We had a pretty sad location for our booth. It was way upstairs. It was good for the opening and closing ceremonies, but people just ran past us, so it was a very isolated area. In fact, the ICANN booth that's normally well personnel by the fellows was absent as well. Marilyn Cade and the rest of them just gave up.

We had very poor turnout, but we did have 13 names signed up. I scanned that sheet and sent it to Satish because they were all from the APRALO region, so Ali, you may have to talk about follow-up on that. But I did reach out aggressively to the NextGen, I watched all their presentations, filmed them all and had a chance to chat to them all. So they were quite intrigued. I think it was the most aggressive effort I made in terms of reaching out to the NextGen I've had. I also reached out to the fellows as well, so those are two groups that I particularly focused on in terms of outreach and engagement.

Again, if we have another booth like we had in Kobe, I would suggest not doing it, because it's a lot of effort and it really

produced very poor results. So perhaps Ali, can you share your views on that? I guess not.

ALI ALMESHAL: Hello, can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, go ahead.

ALI ALMESHAL: Okay. Thank you, Glenn. Yes, I would agree with you on – there might be an issue with the locations, because as you correctly said, we have put a great effort there, I was there almost every day, spending a good amount of time on the booth, but we did not have what we expected as visitors or people coming there. So we need to think about the strategy of the booth itself, the objective of the booth, why we are having it, so we can then based on that pick the appropriate location for it. Yes, there was a good demand when there is a meeting in main room, but other than that – I remember I stayed one full day there with maybe I would say no single visitors, because it's a bit away from all the other [stands] that were there in the meeting.

But having said that, I think we need just to revisit the objective and the strategy on doing that booth. So accordingly, we can set either the location or we set a program or we set other things that

attract people to the booth, although there was as program that we conducted there like know your leaders, have pictures, and there was some fun activity there. But still, because it is away from [inaudible] away from the main area of the [inaudible]. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much Ali and Glenn about that brief update. I think I saw a similar challenge towards the booth position. And actually, [inaudible] in that why would the booth be hidden and then the ICANN [medical] team be placed in an open place? I think there is need for more privacy for medical team or the health team compared to the other booths like the At-Large booth, the ICANN information booth.

And on top of that, another thing that came in that was a little bit frustrating was the universal acceptance booth, which was also hidden which received very low reception. Heidi, do you want to mention something? I can see your hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you very much. Yeah, I just wanted to let you know that I have been in touch with [inaudible] booth or a table for At-Large in Marrakech. I've also asked her whether the plans that were supposed to be going forward in Kobe for having a shared [time] for various [inaudible]

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much.

HEIDI ULLRICH: [inaudible] in Marrakech. So those might be [inaudible] the outreach session with NCUC. [inaudible] that session where you can talk about some follow-up on how to sign up to At-Large if they're interested, and also, as we'll hear a little bit later, there will be about 35 students [inaudible] that will be attending [inaudible]. Again, [inaudible] sign up if they're interested. Thank you so much.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Heidi, for those remarks. I think we shall have at least more discussions regarding the booth and the position in the next upcoming calls.

Allow me to proceed to request Maureen to be able to give a brief report on the regional partner session and the outcome of that session. Maureen, if you're on the call, you have the floor.

MAUREEN HILYARD. Thank you, Daniel. Yes, it was an interesting session and something which was developed to bring to the table the partners from the different regions, and it was really interesting to see the

different relationships that a lot of our RALOs have with their partners in their regions, actually.

But the main purpose was to see how partners could actually collaborate more within the regions and to assist RALOs with their outreach activities.

I have spoken with the RALO chairs to get some feedback, because although it was my session, I was wandering around and didn't quite get an exact handle on the actual outcomes, which was really just to see what they could do with regards to collocating with a partner to hold a general assembly within the region.

I felt that for example APRALO had a large group, and when you actually did a count, there were more partners in that group than APRALO members themselves and leaders. APRALO does have a good relationship with its partners, and many of them, like our GSE partners for example, we had members from the Singapore APAC Hub here from the Middle East and Save from Oceania. So already, GSE was a big component.

But APNIC and APTLD and representation from APR IGF also discussed the potential for having a GA at one of their events, and I think what eventuated was although APNIC, we actually had quite a lot to do with APNIC meetings at APRICOT and at their own APNIC meetings, the APR IGF was probably considered to be

more appropriate for a lot of the ALSes who may come along to a GA and new to the system and the regional IGF may be more appropriate.

And of course, this was also seen like LACRALO, they have a good relationship with their school of governance [for the south,] so that was seen as having some potential, although the LACTLD does provide their ALSes with DNS training, which is excellent.

EURALO didn't seem to be welcomed into the arms of its RIR or TLD organizations, but there's a possibility of working with the EuroDIG, and it's something that they want to investigate more. And with regards to NARALO, I know they just recently ran a GA in collaboration with ARIN, but not quite sure how that will pan out in future, so they're actually looking at other opportunities, I guess. I didn't get hear from Eduardo so I'm not quite sure about that one.

And with AFRALO, there was some discussions about what their conversations were about, but nothing about an actual GA colocation potential. But I think it was an opportunity for the regions to have a chat with their partners and to have a look at how they can leverage on the activities that happen within their regions and also to encourage more participation and learning about what it is that ICANN does, and in relationship to those particular partners as well. So that's me. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Maureen, for that update. I happened to attend the discussions during the regional partners session, and it was so much promising whereby the participation at the Africa Internet Summit that will be coming up I think in June. AFRALO is going to be well-represented whereby I think they'll be having this speaking slot for both during the ICANN day and the Africa Internet Summit itself, also [inaudible] ICANN board. That is just [inaudible]. Probably there is currently limited information about what is happening in LACRALO. I'm also reading here the chat is that EURALO signed an MoU with RIPE NCC last year [which shows also] strong collaboration, and also just to look back, it's about the signing of the RIPE [inaudible] from EURALO.

I'll proceed to the next item on the agenda, which is the communication strategy. A brief about the communication strategy that in Kobe, we were meant to have a presentation from the comms team on how to go about the communication strategy, but we were limited by time and so we have [inaudible] opportunity to have the comms team here ready. I'm seeing a hand up from Olivier. Olivier, you have the floor.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Daniel. I was just going to [inaudible] quickly to be precise on EURALO. EURALO did sign an MoU with

RIPE NCC. It also signed an MoU with CENTR, which is a European ccTLD organization. But we are faced with problems with being able to actually work with them as in going to their meetings as such, because one of them is membership-based and we're not a member, and the other one asks for fees and we just can't send a lot of people to such a meeting.

That being said, we are working with RIPE and have been for many years as EuroDIG partners. EuroDIG is the European IGF. EURALO is a partner organization, a founding partner of EuroDIG, and RIPE is a founding partner of EuroDIG, and in fact, I represent EURALO on the board of EuroDIG, and Chris Buckridge represents RIPE on the board of EuroDIG. So we're not that far apart, but at the same time it's not something that is that easily actionable. That's all. I didn't want to have it so gloomy. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Olivier, for that. I'm seeing Glenn's hand up. Glenn, please, you have the floor.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. Just to set the record straight, our work with ARIN, not only the MoU which was years ago and our GA with ARIN in New Orleans, we are talking about doing our GA in a couple of years, two or three years, with them in their 50th anniversary. But each of the fellowships, they have it three times a year, we make sure

that our members of NARALO take advantage of the fellowship and many of them do, but in addition to that, many of us also volunteer on their NomCom, so I intend to be on the NomCom this year. So we communicate with them a lot on our school of Internet governance in Montréal, ARIN is looking at being a sponsor as well. So I think we have a good working relationship, and I've shared with Heidi and staff an excellent PowerPoint presentation on their policy documentation and shepherding process, so I hope that – I converted it to an eBook so hopefully that can get shared as well.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Can I get in the queue?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yes, Judith, please.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I'm only in the Adigo room so I'm not on the Adobe. So I also wanted to add to what Glenn's excellent point was that we also have been devoting one of our CROP slots to ARIN because we want to [inaudible] relationship. We had been trying for a long time to keep more activities, and I also think that I recall from when I was talking with the ARIN liaisons is that they're announcing a new program, a fellow of development

participation, and I'm going to follow up with them about that. It's a brand-new program that was posted [inaudible] before Marrakech or at Marrakech. So I'll follow up with that as well.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Judith, for that. That [shows that there is] strong regional collaboration. Allow me to proceed to the next item which is the comms team giving up their respective presentation. Heidi, do we have anyone from the comms team on the call?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I need to see where they are. I'm sorry. Let me see [inaudible]. We might need to move on to the next point then.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. As Heidi's trying to get the comms team on the call, let's probably hear – Natalia, you have something to say?

NATALIA FILINA: Yes. Hello. I would like to ask if we have a specific agreement on [inaudible] RIRs. Maybe we will gather a working group, maybe in each RALO. And the second one, if we decide that – if I understand correctly, Sébastien will represent us in RIPE in the end of May. Can we organize there [inaudible] some mini event,

or maybe presentation or short speech, or someone else will go there as additional support? Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Michelle, have we lost Daniel?

MICHELLE DESYMTER: One moment. I will check. I'm doing an audio check. We have lost audio. Please stand by.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Hello. Are we still live?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We can hear you in the phone bridge. I'm not sure about in the AC, Daniel.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, I'm on the phone bridge and we hear you, but it may be the AC that dropped again.

MICHELLE DESYMTER: It is.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible]. Can you hear me?

MICHELLE DESYMTER: Please stand by.

CARLTON SAMUELS: I just get off the AC bridge. It drops off like a yoyo.

MICHELLE DESYMTER: Please stand by. We're trying to reestablish the audio connection.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: My request to staff is please put the slide show in the center panel so I can walk through it with you. It looks promising. I think it's coming up. Okay, thank you. This is a quick update. When we presented this slide show, it's after consultation with the outreach and engagement group over a couple of months, and we decided to summarize the concept that we had as our At-Large communication challenges, and so let me run through this fairly quickly with you. So this is just background information, the first few slides on the fact that we identified that there were some real challenges we were having in terms of getting the word out. So we said, let's look at one thing in particular that could increase and enhance communication, and the concept was blogging, and

these are some of the very quick concepts that are associated with blogging methodology. Next.

And again, this is best practice coming from very knowledgeable bloggers on what they suggest as what a good blog should have. So these are some of the features on slide five. We'll share this slide show with you as well. And again, our strategy at the beginning was saying let's reach out to people in the community that would want to be a volunteer, want to be an editor, and all of this was set up for our presentation that was going to be in Kobe, but that did not happen. So let's just move on.

Okay, so these were from the time – we felt that it was important to actually demonstrate the concept. It's one thing talking about a concept, it's another thing actually demonstrating. So from the time we started working on this concept, we had feedback from various different community members actually producing content, and this is some of the work that was done, and again, reports from the working groups, reports from the regions as well.

Okay, so this is what the blog looks like. It's been set up. We have an actual domain name, icannAtLarge.blog, and I want to fill you in on some of the features. What we have besides the test site before to this site that we have now, which is the blog site, again, same hosting location. We have authors like John Laprise, Daniel, Jonathan Zuck – sorry, Satish, Sergio, Judith, Eduardo, Glenn, Maureen. We try to reach out to as many people as possible to

tell the community story from their perspective that what's missing is in AFRALO – and hopefully that might materialize today – again, the idea was to expand the core ideas, which is, again, particularly on policy issues which are complicated, and ask the chairs to elaborate on what those policy issues are.

We have a bunch of features that we've been playing with, and I want to demonstrate this. And maybe this is the most appropriate time. Dev, you want to kick in the talk about the language and text capability of the blog?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Certainly. One of the things that we've been looking at with the blog is to – well, as Glenn has mentioned, we've been looking at ways how we can take the content and repurpose it along multiple areas, so we can share posts to social media, we can share posts via the newsletter, and one of the things [of not we have] done also, implemented, is a machine translation of articles, and this could be done for selected articles, and – well, I guess I could post an example quickly, [and I'm not going to the whole] sharing of screen.

If we look at this link, you would see that there is an ability to translate in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish. You will also see an audio bar, and when you click on it, you'll get something like this. Let me see if this will work. Alright.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible] has started a new stage with great challenges and a different organizational scheme. As of November 2018, at the close of ICANN 63, the new leadership of LACRALO, the Argentinian Sergio Salinas Porto –

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: As you could hear, you can have also the blog post speak to you. And what we can do, it can also speak to you in other languages. So if you were to click on ES for example, the page reloads with a Spanish translation, and I could also copy that link and paste it in the chat here, so you'll then load it up in Spanish, and you can then also hear it spoken in Spanish.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Right. So the thing is we can add translation, and there are several languages we can translate to, as well as to also allow for audio transcripts of the blog post. This could also be used for podcasting and for accessibility as well. I don't know if I have time to share the screen. It's up to you, Daniel. And if I want, I could just show you another post, and if you go to this post here, you could see that we've put translations for Arabic, French, Portuguese,

Spanish and Turkish. So for example if you go to – you can then view the post in Turkish.

PASTOR PETERS OMORAGBON: Pastor Peters.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: And you can then also hear how the post could be read to you in Turkish. And i could try doing that very quickly here. I selected Turkish because I know Evin from staff is on the call. So let me just play that quickly. Let me see if it will work.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: So I'll just stop the voice. So the beauty of this is that it's all accessible, and for those who want e-mail updates as well, you can get e-mail updates, so then whenever a blog post is done, you can get an e-mail and you could set the period of the timing of the newsletter. If you wanted daily, weekly, monthly, you can do that. And of course, you could also have the blog post auto post immediately to Twitter and to Facebook. So in other words, the great benefit is that you post once, you can share and repurpose everywhere. E-mail, on the web, blog post, etc. I'll stop there.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Thank you. Let's move on to the next slide here. So you get an idea, this is not your standard blog that you see with small little posts. We're trying to actually provide much more flexibility. The posts can be automatically translated as well as the language option as well. So let's move forward here.

So this is just a quick snapshot of the views. Again, this is a well-kept secret because over four months of doing this, we didn't have an opportunity to actually demonstrate this. This is the first time we're actually showing the community despite actually doing posts to At-Large and outreach and engagement, this is the first time we had a chance – I suspect the viewership is going to skyrocket. And again, any critical feedback on this would be more than welcome. So moving on.

Okay, every organization needs a mascot. Dev had a nice cat that used to sit on his shoulder when he would work, so we figured we adopted this cat as our mascot for the blog, just in case you're wondering. I'm not sure if you guys are cat lovers, but I know Dev is.

Okay, so moving forward. There's a bunch of questions in terms of who, what, where, when and how. Who can post the content? How do you select a volunteer? What is the process of content management and quality control? What's the focus of the blog? Is

this going to be another bad attitude site similar to what's done in Facebook? What is the succession planning? Who pays for all of this? And what's the long-term plan for the domain name hosting? These are all very legitimate questions, and we're working through the logistics, and we will set up a plan for this in the next meeting, we'll have most of this stuff answered. But again, at this point we're reaching out to the community, we're appealing for editors and co-editors, if anybody who is quite interested in doing this. After doing a newsletter with Eduardo for four years, I know how much work it is for commitment on a newsletter, but I also know the downside of newsletters. So this is quite a departure from a newsletter, and from my experience doing this for the last four months with Dev, it's work, but it's not bad. I think we've gotten really good feedback.

Again, we're requesting the personal stories of RALO leaders, participants, working groups, short stories, especially issues that are hot issues. Not stuff that was historical a year or so ago like the rollover, but stuff that we really need feedback from the community on issues. We're going to create a manual how-to so that any of the volunteers come in, fairly well-documented on our process and procedure, and we'll arrange with staff to do with Zoom obviously a webinar on how to contribute to a story, and we'll do quarterly reports to outreach and engagement. That's it from me, so back over to you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Just to point out also that the process to actually create a blog post is very easy. It's even easier than doing it on the Wiki. If [inaudible] edited anything on the Wiki, it's very similar. You can use your browser to do this, and it's a very point and click type of interface [inaudible] add images, video and stuff like that.

Also, there are mobile apps if you want to edit content on the site as well. So just to mention that. That's it.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Glenn and Dev, for that awesome presentation. [inaudible]. But before I proceed, I have two people in the queue. First, I give the floor to Cheryl, then we have [inaudible] Heidi. Cheryl, you have the floor.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much, Daniel. As you can tell by what I've put in chat, I'm thrilled with this approach and the particular aspects of its more universal use for managing some of the challenges we have for accessibility within the outreach and engagement world, but also in general. So I'm very excited, and we'll look forward to becoming more actively engaged in this when it is more formally adopted, because it's a wonderful tool and I think it's a thrill to

see it. I wanted to thank particularly Glenn and Dev for all the work they've done on it.

However – it's not really a gloom and despair, I just wanted a cautionary point. One of the most important things I've seen in today's presentation is in fact this next steps slide that we're seeing on the screen. Having been around Adam and Olivier – Adam and I probably being the most ancient in this group here today – we've seen all sorts of shiny new and absolutely brilliant things come along, and we've seen the volunteers do all the right things, select the very best of breed, get them up and running, and without the proper planning, which is what this is calling for, and without the right support and partnership with ICANN the entity, it is a much harder job than it should be, and some of them fall by the wayside.

And here I'm talking, gee, this newfangled thing called the Wiki. We've gone through this and we've seen good adoptions and great outcomes, but we've also seen some pretty sadly missed opportunities where best of breed perhaps wasn't selected or didn't make the cut for use or just wasn't used as best as can be. So let's spend some really appropriate time on this planning on how we make sure, if this is our newest, most wonderful addition to the toolkit – and I believe it probably is, I'm pretty sure it's going to be, I think it has great longevity and good usability – that that longevity is properly planned for. So just make sure we do

the whole thing, not just, “Oh, look, wonderful shiny new toy” and then don’t support it well enough until the next one comes along. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. It seems Cheryl has lost audio. [inaudible]. Can we hear from Heidi probably when she comes back [inaudible]? Heidi, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Daniel, I'm not sure if you can hear me. I heard Cheryl until she finished.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I also heard Cheryl as well.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, Daniel, can you hear me? Okay, it seems like Daniel is not able to hear me. Michelle, could you see – I think he's dropped again.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, I hear you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I'll go ahead while Michelle gets Daniel going forward. I sort of echo what Cheryl is saying, that this would be a definite great tool to add to the toolkit for a communication for At-Large.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Heidi, [inaudible] appears to have been lost in the Adobe Connect line. So that's why I'm stopping you. I don't know if anybody else from staff is on the Adigo, but [inaudible].

MICHELLE DESYMTER: Please stand by.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sure.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, well, probably should wait then.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Hello. Is anything happening?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: They're just putting the phone bridge and the Adobe Connect bridge back together again.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: [inaudible].

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay, I think we're having a little bit of challenges, but allow me to continue with what is happening. I see here that we're having some awesome work coming in from the work of Glenn and Dev developing the blog. But also, previously, we had the different channels of communication that included the newsletters and [inaudible] posts on the Wiki.

And for me, I think that since we have various channels of communication, there is need to harmonize all of this into an appropriate communication strategy. So on this call, I'd like to request the members on the call who are willing to volunteer in drafting the communication strategy. In case you're willing to join the team in drafting the communication strategy, please, I'd like you to put your checkmark or maybe in the chat [inaudible]. Just a small team. Okay, I can see Natalia's hand up, I can see Glenn is putting up a check mark in agreement for the communication strategy. Okay. We have Shreedeeep. I'm reading also on the chat from Maureen that the comm strategy team needs to also work within the ICANN comm team as well. I think that is going to call for collaboration. I'm seeing Bram from AFRALO. I think I'm going to ask staff if they can note all that, all the members who are

volunteering in drafting the communication strategy. And Dev, you have your hand up. You have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, first of all, Heidi was planning to respond, so I think with some comments or questions, so perhaps Heidi, you should go first, and then I can respond to some of the comments in the chat, and perhaps your concerns as well.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Thank you very much, Dev. So Daniel, I was actually going to advise the same as that, any kind of movement forward in the development of a communication strategy include these kinds of blog, but also, we need to think about how the RALO newsletters fit in, how would this blog be developed, would it only be a volunteer effort, would you need staff support on that? I'm seeing that it would be quarterly. So I think that the next steps really would be to get these volunteers, but also then listen to the communications team and their presentation on how to develop a communication strategy. So perhaps we could hold off until the next call when we do hear from the comms team, so you can then move forward with some more guidance on how to develop that strategy. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Dev, please proceed.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for this. So just to respond to some of the comments that were mentioned in the chat, Maureen was asking how a post would be approved. The idea is that the WordPress, which is what this blog is built on, has various roles, and some of the roles can be contributors and have editors. So contributors can post articles and draft, but they can't actually make the post go live. Editors have to then review, edit and then make the post go live. So you can set up a hierarchy of contributors and final editors, so to speak, to make the post go live.

Response also – the thing is regarding the blog is that the newsletters will be automatically generated from the blog post, because how it will work is that – and what we can do, we have a demo of it already, is that since the blog only just went live with a domain name less than 24 hours, there's not much content to repost as a newsletter, but it can be done.

And then also, and more crucially, you could specify which category you want to post, so if you want to post news from LACRALO, you can do that, or news for APRALO, you can do all of those things.

So it's not a separate process with creating newsletters and updating the blog. And [inaudible] social media post. The idea,

again, here is that you write once a poste and then redistribute everywhere in whatever form, languages and so forth from that original post. But obviously, we can work to draft something up on the Wiki and so forth to do this.

Just to mention, if the Wiki was better at doing this stuff, we probably wouldn't need a blog, but one benefit of the blog is that it's also very mobile-friendly, so when people see the post on Twitter and Facebook, they can click and jump in immediately to the blog and see the pictures and be able to translate and so forth. Okay, I'll stop there unless there are any further questions.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much, Dev, for that insight. Yeah, I've been going through the chat, and since we're also in the need to wait for the communications team, and I believe that this team that will be working on the comm strategy, I think they'll also be able to work together with the comms team. I've seen Shreedeeep [inaudible]. Shreedeeep, please, you have the floor. Shreedeeep, please, [inaudible]?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN.

Oh, no. I didn't ask for the floor and I'm only on the Adigo.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: [Because Judith is on the Adigo –] Okay, then Judith, please go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Oh, I had nothing to say, [I don't know who] raised my hand.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. Thank you. So based on this, I've also got an alert that Fatimata is about to leave the call, but before Fatimata leaves the call, can we request her to be able to give us an update on the initial plans for engagement at ICANN 65 before she leaves the call? Fatimata, then we shall come back to the presentation update on the analysis [tool] from Dev, the multi-stakeholder tool. Fatimata, please.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Hi. I want to be very quick. For ICANN 65, AFRALO will be – there will be an outreach event for students [inaudible] who'll be coming from Rabat, Marrakech. I have to be outside to have a connection. Can you believe that? So you can hear kids. Sorry.

So students will be coming from Rabat to Marrakech to attend the meeting, and [inaudible] about organizing a dedicated hot topics session to allow students to discuss about it with us. So the issue we're having was that for the social event, if this should be

organized at lunch time, or should we have it in the evening of Monday for example?

I think [within] AFRALO we still have to discuss this, but our first [inaudible]. So regarding outreach in the main event, we will have the booth, and for the booth, we'll [inaudible] from what Glenn just reported about [inaudible] to have a sustained attendance of AFRALO members so that we'll be able to have some outreach activities in the booth and to provide as much information as we can. [We have banners. We worked on all those things together.]

So AFRALO-AFRICANN meeting, from the experience we had in Kobe, the AFRALO organize regular meeting with the African community, and the statements coming from this meeting always [inaudible] to ALAC [inaudible] board, but this time, for example [inaudible] applicant support program [inaudible] something very important we'd like to do.

So we have not yet [inaudible] subject for AFRALO-AFRICANN meeting. So we'll come back to that later. But these are [the initial thoughts] we're having regarding outreach and engagement for ICANN 65. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to provide [inaudible].

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Fatimata, for that update that is coming in. I think more of the planning will be going on, and then during our

next call, we shall be able to update the outreach and engagement what is going to be transferred fully.

So allow me to go back to my agenda that is going on right now. Can I request Dev to proceed with the regional engagement analysis of the participation of the fellowship program using the multi-stakeholder analysis tool? Dev, please, you have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Hi. I wasn't quite aware that this was still on the agenda item, but I'll just post the link in chat, and this is the link to the stakeholder tool which allows people to analyze the ICANN stakeholders by country, by region, and also to be able to do analysis in terms of regional analysis of what countries are in which stakeholder group and which ones haven't.

The idea behind the tool has been that it's meant for the RALOs and for At-Large, and potentially actually other persons in ICANN, such as GSE have now also expressed interest, and seeing how this tool could be used to conduct targeted outreach.

So as an example, one could go to the regional dashboard and look at, say, your region, see what countries are not members of At-Large, and decide, okay, which country do you want to target this year to have [a defined and have an] At-Large structure or have an individual join At-Large or apply to become members of At-Large.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry to interrupt. Would you mind sharing your screen? That might be useful.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I hope the Adobe Connect doesn't crash, but I'm willing to do that. Alright, so I will do that right now.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: And share. Are you all seeing my screen?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Thank you so much. [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Alright. So just to go back, you can pick a region and see, okay, just picking the African region for now, the upcoming meeting is in Marrakech. One could look up in the country dashboard Marrakech. Morocco, I should say. Sorry. And you will then see we have three At-Large structures, we've had nine fellows, three next-gen students, and you can also see whether they're members of the GAC, ccNSO and so forth, and actually see, if you scroll down, the ALSes, individuals and so forth, the number of fellows and what they identified as.

So I think the first step in using this tool is actually, okay, well, now that we're going to Morocco, can we reach out to these persons and ask them if they're getting involved? Like the past fellows, are they going to be involved in the ICANN meeting? And if not, why not? Or invite them and have them mentored for example is one idea.

And when you look at the regional dashboard, you can also for the regional RALO planning, one could look at the regions to see, well – and I should also pull up the African region dashboard.

If you look at this example, you can see these are the countries without At-Large representation. So a RALO can then decide, okay, let's decide to get outreach plan for the year to get an At-Large structure or individual to apply from one of these countries. But I don't really get the sense that the RALOs and I would say the O&Es itself are doing this.

So my question to you – and I'm willing to have feedback – are there things in the tool that you need more information on, or can it be structured in a better way? because a tool isn't meant to just be done in isolation. It's for you to use it and query it and plan accordingly.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Daniel, looks like we lost Dev again.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: So I'll stop there, and hopefully, there'll be some questions on this, or feedback.

MICHELLE DESYMTER: We have lost sound again. Please stand by.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. You mean with the Adobe Connect? Nice.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Dev, I think we got most of your input. I think it only dropped towards the end. But it's a whole lot of fun. Every other group that has already transitioned to Zoom is not having problems, and since we've decided to move from AC, it's been nothing but [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: But it's not necessarily the AC fault, it also could be the third-party provider for the AC. If you recall, we left Adobe Connect directly and we're with a third-party provider.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Judith, without going into those details, that's pretty much what I was alluding to. Ever since we stopped doing our own servers, etc., this has been [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. But [that is through] the provider has decided to downgrade our service, and that's the problem.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Absolutely. That's what we're saying. So let's get past them and get on to the new platform.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: [inaudible] the problem still stays there.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Thank you, Cheryl. Dev, we are going to be transitioning to Zoom very shortly. We might indeed need to speed the rollout up given all of this, and the response from our IT.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [inaudible] doing that, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. I will pass that on.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [inaudible] speak to.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I will speak to whoever is going to be doing that. Yeah. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Good. And say how annoying some of us are.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, is the Adobe Connect hearing us again? Okay, well, if they're hearing us, then let's get back to the formal presentation.

I was just concluding that I would love to hear feedback from you, the community, if there's anything in the tool that you need

better broken down, shown, displayed or whatever so that the RALOs and the At-Large can use this to really target their outreach, because we don't have infinite energy and time and money. So my strong feeling for the tool has been we can use the tool to narrow our goals and set realistic goals for outreach.

So you want to get two ALSes from these two countries, or individuals, that type of thing, that's how I see the biggest benefit of the tool. So I would like to hear feedback about the stakeholder tool. So I'll stop here.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much. I can see Glenn's hand is up. Glenn, would you like to add something to the presentation?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. Hi. Let's put this in context. What Dev skipped over was the fact that we've been doing this for a number of years, because we felt that this was a group of people that generally speaking – and I'm not telling anyone tales that are not out of school. Most of the fellows, most of the NextGen, most of the newcomers end up, if they're younger, tend to go to NCUC. They have a better strategy of outreach.

We need to know who these people are, and many of these people came back again and again, and some of them are very

important to reach out to. So I think we're making some inroads. I can only speak with regards to NARALO, because now I know who they are and the relationship is building, but I need to shout out to Dev. He took a database and made it incredible. And I know I talked to David Olive about this and he was blown away by it. For meeting after meeting, we asked staff to take care of this. So I'm not sure where it stands, Dev, but it's another shiny bobble. Back to you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you very much, Glenn, for that. I can see Adam's hand is up. Adam, you have the floor.

ADAM PEAKE: Hi. I hope you can hear me given the call today.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I can hear you.

ADAM PEAKE: Okay. Thank you. Given the way the call has been going I thought I'd just hold and check. Thank you very much. Dev, it's an exceptionally useful tool. Thank you for all the work you've put into it. And we've said this before, but it's a great resource and one that as I'd mentioned, GSE has used.

What we have promised was a meeting with GSE staff who work on some of our internal resources, which I wouldn't say they're similar, but they try to address some different aspects of similar sorts of things, and I will make sure to do that. Fortunately, the meeting [inaudible] Kobe wasn't possible as the person had to leave Japan early for personal reasons, but we will get around to it and we will continue and want to collaborate on this [inaudible] besides that. So thank you very much again.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Can I get in the queue?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Go ahead. And after that, we can have Glenn.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: We have also brought this to the attention of Ash, the CIO, who was very interested in it. Unfortunately, at that time, they were [inaudible] in GDPR, and so they didn't have the bandwidth to deal with it. But we'll bring this up again with our contact, Mark Segall, and try to arrange another talk about this and figuring out how we can move forward with it, because they did say they were very interested, but they were swamped with GDPR [at that time] last year, so they couldn't really do anything. But we'll reengage with them this year.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. Thank you very much, Judith. Glenn, please, you have the floor. Okay. Thank you very much, Glenn. [inaudible] multi-stakeholder tool, this is a very good tool that measures metrics, and for analysis and outreach and planning, I think this is a great tool. [inaudible] collaboration to be able to have its impact widely felt throughout the At-Large or the whole ICANN [ecosystem of this tool.]

[Also, since we are almost coming to the end of the call,] but before I proceed to the next item on the agenda which is the AOB, there was a discussion on the comms strategy. I'm going to set an [action item] for the next call and the presentation from the comms team, I think this will give us at least a very good way of [inaudible] to be able to move forward with the respective comm strategies that we can be able to leverage.

One of the challenges is that previously we have been having our calls happen to be on the festive season or a holiday. I'm going to ask the floor such that we can be able to agree or suggest a possible time, either a specific day of the week or of the month, set up maybe the first Friday or the first Wednesday that you can be able to have this call. Can we maybe ask probably staff to send out a Doodle of the preferred dates of when the calls can be held such that we have at least the [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Daniel –

DANIEL NANGHAKA: – who’d like to react to that suggestion. Heidi, please, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, I couldn’t hear you that well. If you could just confirm that you were asking staff to send a Doodle for a permanent time for this meeting. Is that what you're asking?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: [inaudible] correct.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I've heard “correct.” Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We can hear you on the phone, Dev, but who knows [inaudible].

DANIEL NANGHAKA: [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Everything is happening on this call.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH: Michelle, have we lost the AC again?

MICHELLE DESYMTER: No, it's actually Daniel's line.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

ADAM PEAKE: Hi. I wonder if I could make a couple of comments given that we're coming towards the end of the timing. Or did Daniel –

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think we're just dialing out to Daniel again. And again, many apologies for not having the comms team here. That was actually my fault about that. Terribly sorry, but we will get them set up for

the next call. And we also have an action item that we'll invite for a face-to-face during Marrakech, and that is, again, on the communication strategy. Michelle, do we have Daniel back?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: – day or week such that [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, Daniel, we're not really hearing you, and also, Adam has his hand raised.

MICHELLE DESYMTER: Daniel is back on if you're ready for him.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Daniel, are you able to speak?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Can you hear me?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, that's much better. And we have Adam with his hand raised. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. Adam, please proceed, you have the floor.

ADAM PEAKE: Thank you very much. So there were a couple of things I wanted to mention on the agenda item about outreach and engagement at ICANN 65. There isn't very much to add from the GSE side other than that of course you'll be holding the At-Large-NCUC outreach session and the day and the time for that [have] been decided at the moment, and I'm quite sure Olivier knows far more about it than I do anyway, so that's the one engagement that will be occurring.

To follow up on the session we had in Kobe, one of the topics that was quite important and mentioned a great deal was about general assemblies, and I think it would be helpful as you begin thinking about when you want to hold them, which meeting, whether it be an ICANN meeting or elsewhere, then if you can keep me, and I will inform the regional VPs, then we can track when they will be, and also thoughts on how GSE might support those better in whatever way you would be thinking of.

And I think the same would also go for the ATLAS III. I see a lot of work going on with that, you're holding the beginning webinars, But if there is a role for the GSE and the regions, then please let us know, and we'll consider how we can do that. [It's the key]

engagement activity of the year, really, so it's great effort that's begun.

And the last point, this was mentioned earlier on, Glenn made reference to the fellows and the selection process. There's an initial evaluation of the first of the fellowship applications for Montréal underway at the moment. It's a staff evaluation, and this goes on to the selection committees and so on.

It would be helpful I think – at some point I was thinking about this [as I read the] applications, know what the At-Large values in a fellow, what criteria you may have for that. I haven't been able to find anything like that on any of the wikis, but they can be difficult. But if there is such a document, if there are highlights that you have in what you believe the qualities of a good fellow should be, then that would help me as I look at some of the applications. Of course, this will go on to the community evaluation team as well, but I thought I'd mention this as something I'm looking at at the moment. And thank you very much.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much, Adam, for sharing all that. [inaudible] coming towards the end of the call, is there any other reaction or any information that needs to be shared for [inaudible] of the call? Okay. Going once.

I'm not seeing any hand up. I'm going to ask at least Michelle to walk us through our [inaudible] action items, and then after that, we shall be able to adjourn the call. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Olivier.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: [inaudible].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, I was just going to say quickly one thing. Adam alluded to the joint NCUC-ALAC outreach session, and that is indeed going to take place. It is going to be shorter than the usual ones that we're having because this is a shortened meeting, and it's likely to take place – at the moment I think it's deemed to be on Monday morning, but we still have to work out details. But I just thought I'd let you know that it is happening, and I hope that we'll get a lot of people turning up for it. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Olivier, for those remarks. Apart from that, let's have at least a walkthrough of the respective action items, and then we shall have to [stop] the call.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Thank you, Daniel. So those on the Adobe Connect can follow along in the action item pod, bottom right. We have a few. First one is to add a blog card to the regular social media editorial calendar. Glenn has the card ready to go, if memory serves.

Then Yesim Nazlar and myself will invite the comms team to the next Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement.

There was a call for communication strategy volunteers, and we have Glenn, Shreedeeep, Ali and John Laprise so far. I think we'll go ahead and send a formal one, Daniel, if that's okay.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yes. That's fine. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, we'll add that. Then also Yesim to work with Daniel on sending a Doodle to set up a regular time for the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement time, and also GSE to be involved in development of general assemblies and of ATLAS III. Are there any that I've missed?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: No. Thank you very much, Heidi, for that. Also on the chat [inaudible] Natalia who had also suggested to be part of the comm strategy, but [still, all that will] follow up. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you. We'll send a formal call.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you. With this, we have come to the end of the call. See you. Have a lovely week. I'd also like to thank the interpreters and staff that have been on the call, and all the members who have been available on the call. Thank you very much, and see you. Have a good night.

MICHELLE DESYMTER: Thank you so much, everyone, for your participation. I do apologize for the connection issue. Have a great remainder of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]