
BRENDA BREWER:

Thank you, Russ. Good day, everyone. Welcome to SSR2 review team plenary call number 67 on the 25th of April 2019 at 14:00 UTC. Attending the call today is Russ, Danko, Ramkrishna, Boban, Alaine, Norm, Laurin, Eric, Scott, [Jabhera] and [inaudible] apologies from Kerry Ann and Kaveh, and I believe no observers at this time. Attending the call from ICANN Organization is Jennifer, Charla, Steve and Brenda. Today's call is being recorded. Please state your name before speaking for the record. And I'll turn the call over to Russ. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Thank you, Brenda. I notice that Scott joined right after you finished the roll call. So the first thing that we're going to talk about is the questions we started gathering of last week for Compliance to level set everyone on what's going on with this.

When we met in Kobe, we talked about trying to set a phone call with the folks in the Compliance group, and when we tried to schedule that, they asked for a list of questions so they could make sure that the right people were on the call. So we started gathering that list of questions, and Laurin has taken the pen for that, and so we had a set of questions last week and there was a bunch of people who were missing on the call so we sent e-mail to get input from them, and now we go to finalize those questions and send them right after this call. Laurin, can you take us through that?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes. Hi, everyone. Essentially, we discussed questions to be added on last week's call. There were some items that I took in, I put it on the list, and then sent it out to the people who were the kind of individuals involved with this just to go over them again, make sure everything is correct, fine, functional. And that has happened, so I got some stuff back yesterday and this morning. Essentially, I'll be able to pass onto staff for scheduling during – just after this call essentially if there's nothing else to do. So again, to me, it seems we discussed this in the plenary last week, and we did [inaudible] kind of pass among the kind of group [inaudible] that will be involved with this. So I think we're good from where I stand.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Anyone want to question any of the questions or add to them or anything, or are we ready to send? I can see Norm said send.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Maybe to add to this quickly for those who might not have been around every time we discussed this, a lot of this is meant to be a discussion, so the questions were meant to give them an idea of what we want to talk about more than just a request to get answers.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Right. Indeed. This was to make sure they can get the right people on the phone, not to give them a list of questions to answer in advance.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Exactly.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, so Laurin, would you make sure that Jennifer has those questions and [inaudible]?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Absolutely.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. The next agenda item is the status table. [inaudible] want to go through the table, and if there's anything that's blank, find out what's going on, and if there is red, find out what the team can do to remove the obstacle, and likewise, if it's yellow, get an understanding of what the obstacle might be and whether the team can help. So hopefully, we can go through this fairly rapidly. Jennifer just pasted a link to the Google doc into the chat window, so let's see if we can go through this fairly quickly. I would like to do the blank ones first, then the red ones and the yellow ones.

So the first blank one is the name collision one that Denise and Eric are working on. Do we have any status there? If either Denise or Eric are speaking, I'm not hearing them. Denise, I see a hand. Go ahead. Denise, you're muted. Brenda, can you unmute Denise?

BRENDA BREWER: I actually tried, and the system doesn't allow me, so I'm wondering if she can press star six to unmute. There we go. Now she's unmuted.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Now she's gone again.

BRENDA BREWER: She's gone.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Eric, are you able to provide any information?

ERIC OSTERWEIL: About the name collisions?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes.

ERIC OSTERWEIL: No, we haven't synced up yet.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Thank you

BRENDA BREWER: Denise has joined us again.

DENISE MICHEL: Hi. Can you guys hear me now?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes.

DENISE MICHEL: Awesome. Not sure what went wrong. Yes, I have the draft text on name collision. I just need to coordinate with Eric before posting it, so that should be in the next week.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Great. Thank you. So, is it fair to say this is now yellow?

DENISE MICHEL: Yes.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, the next one is Eric and Naveed working on accountability and transparency. This is part of DNS Work Stream section three. Eric, I don't see Naveed, so can you speak to this one? Brenda, would it be possible for you to display that Google doc on the screen? Excellent. Scroll down to the DNS Work Stream, and section three. Yes, that's where we are. Thank you. So, Eric, is there anything you can share on this one?

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Naveed had asked for the pen and that was the last correspondence he and I had. Sorry, I thought you all heard me, but I realized I got double muted. Sorry about that.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Thank you. So you don't know whether he has any draft text yet? Okay.

ERIC OSTERWEIL: No, I don't, and I think I saw a note from him on the list, but I don't recall for sure, this morning, but last I heard, he asked for the pen on it, I said okay and I haven't heard anything since. So I'm not sure.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yeah, I thought that was a separate topic, but okay.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Russ, Naveed was having some difficulty joining the call. I know he was trying to get onto this call, so perhaps we can move on and come back to this one. I know Brenda is going to try and dial out to him.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Thank you. Okay, we see in the chat room that Scott has no audio, he's listen-only right now. His is the next one, so we'll pass that one by. The next one is the domain name hijacking, which is Zarko, Denise, Norm, Eric and Boban. Can one of you speak to it? Zarko has the lead but he's not on the call.

BOBAN KRSIC:

Hi. Yeah, there is no update, unfortunately, and [inaudible] Zarko on this one here if he has an update on this, and we'll get [inaudible] talk also with all the people here who are related to this task how to proceed, because there is no effort since Kobe, and I would like to have an update in the next few days.

So I will keep temporarily the hat on and we'll come back with an update on this soon.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Okay. Thank you. And that completes the pass for the ones that are blank. Let's see if we can have something for next week for all of these so that we have great confidence that we'll be able to do our work when we get to Brussels.

Alright, so now we'll make a pass through for the red ones. The first one is the ICANN SSR item number seven, it's marked as red, perform an assessment of how effectively ICANN has implemented its processes to ensure compliance regarding the registrar agreements.

My understanding is this is the work item that is waiting for the call that we just completed the questions for, so that will remain red until that call happens. So there's no reason to talk yet about that any further. And that is the only one that's red until we get down to the future challenges, which is the new uses for DNS such as IoT. Laurin, Eric, Kerry Ann and Naveed are working on this one. Kerry Ann has the lead but she is not on the call. Can one of the others talk to this one?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I'm not the lead on this one, but I'm checking my e-mails. I sent out something to this group. I think we just haven't managed to find a time, essentially, to kind of go through this. But I believe Kerry Ann has got some text, just not sure where it would be. Maybe Eric can comment, perhaps he knows.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, so like the blank ones, let's see if we can move this off red for next week, because I don't believe we have any outstanding questions on this one.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: No, Russ, there's nothing like that. I think it's just somewhere. It might be in Kerry Ann's e-mail, actually. I'll have a look.

RUSS HOUSLEY: She's over the ocean somewhere coming back from Chile today. Alright, thank you. So let's see if there's anything that the team can do to remove the obstacles on the yellow ones. I don't necessarily want to go through them one by one, but are there any yellow ones within the ICANN SSR where the team can do something to remove the obstacle? I'm not seeing any hands, so I'm taking that to mean that right now, we are just needing time for the people working the topics to get together. Is that correct? Okay.

DENISE MICHEL:

Yes.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Thank you. Moving to the DNS SSR, we have a couple that are green and a few that are yellow. So there's really just to this group the name collisions we just made yellow, so we already know about that one. We saw some e-mail today that Alain is working on text for the L root best practices and would share that with the rest of the team later this week.

So when we get to section five, every one of those is yellow. Is there anything the team can do to remove the problems other than the IDN one we're still waiting on answers to two questions, so that one we know we're waiting on ICANN staff, and I believe the second one, we're waiting, again, for the telephone conference with the Compliance folks.

What about the other two?

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

I'm not sure if this is a problem for me only. I cannot see the table, the part of the table you're talking about, Russ.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Okay. So let me see. Can you see the table and it just needs to be scrolled?

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Yes, it would need some scrolling. I'm not sure if I'm just lagging.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I see. Okay, we need ... we want to see section five. Yes, there we go. That's where we need to be. So those four, the last one we're waiting on answers, the second one we're waiting on the phone call with the Compliance folks. My question is, is there anything we can do on the other two to remove the obstacle?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Number three is also Compliance-related, so this is also a call, essentially.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. And on the first one, the text says that trying to get a teleconference together among the team. Norm, you're tagged as the leader for that. Can you work to make that schedule happen?

NORM RITCHIE: Yeah, I've just put it in the text.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you. Okay, so let's scroll down to section six. Well, it's number seven. No, six and seven will both fit on the screen. So software [interop] and ecosystem. The first one being green yellow, is there ... waiting to check out the prototype. I'm not sure what that means.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Eric, feel free to jump in if you're able to unmute. Essentially, Eric and I met with the guy who's doing this internally in Kobe. He said he expects everything to be on GitHub soon, and we're essentially wanting to have a look at that before we produce text. But once we have had a look, I don't think it will take a long time for us to have some text on that. Eric, please anything you would like to.

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Yeah, sounds right to me.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. So let's move to the future challenges. Three of these are yellow. Is there anything the team can do to remove the obstacles to getting progress on this?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: [inaudible].

RUSS HOUSLEY: [inaudible]. Sorry, someone was speaking.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yeah, on the data access, this is a bit of a meta point, and it seems like we have to kind of, A, wait for Compliance, B, it closely relates to something KC is doing further up. KC and I, I think, are scheduled to speak next week before the next call, so there should be some progress by then, but I wouldn't remove the yellow, because again, it is kind of a

meta point and we have to look at other things to get that one done. But essentially, something's happening.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Essentially, then you fell out, is happening.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I was saying I would leave the status as yellow because there's still dependencies that are unresolved, but I can kind of report that something is happening, so KC and I will meet next week.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Something is happening. That's the part that dropped. Okay, thank you. Alright, anything that someone can raise on the other points? Okay, so I take that to mean there's nothing we can do to help the group be ready for Brussels. Right, thank you.

Okay, can we go back to the agenda, please, Brenda? Thank you. So at this point, the agenda takes us to the Any Other Business. Is there anything that anyone would like to raise?

BOBAN KRSIC: Hi. Just for your information, I will arrive on Friday morning or noon in Brussels, so I have another appointment on Thursday, that's why I will be a little bit late and arrive on Friday at noon. And I will stay until Sunday, so you have me two days.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Jennifer, can you confirm the action items [inaudible]? It sounds like that's the only [inaudible] Any Other Business.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Hi, Russ. Thank you. Certainly. So the action items are Laurin is going to send the questions for Compliance to staff for us to share with the Compliance team, and then we'll also work to set up a meeting with them based on the discussion questions, and the team members to fill in the status table where items are blank ahead of next week's call, and for the red items, the team to work on progressing off of red where there are no road blocks between now and the next call. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Thank you very much. Is there anything anyone else wants to raise? Alright, thank you. It's really important that these topic groups continue to make progress in order for us to have a productive session in Brussels. Please find time to make that happen. Thank you.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Thanks, everyone. Bye.

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Thank you.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Thanks, everybody. Bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]