

---

BRENDA BREWER: Good day, everyone. Welcome to SSR2 Review team plenary call number 66, on the 18th of April 2019, at 14:00 UTC. Attending the call today is Noorul, Alain, Laurin, Ram, Russ, Jabhera, Scott and Beran, and we just had Norm join us.

We have, from ICANN Org, Jennifer, Negar, Charla, Steve, and Brenda. Today's call is being recorded. Please state your name before speaking for the record.

And I'd like to offer a few Zoom navigation items before we get started. Number one is to mute your microphone, hover your cursor over your name. You can toggle between mute and un-mute that way. And also on the tool bar, generally found at the bottom of your screen, is a chat icon, as well as a participant icon. By clicking on these, you will open separate little windows to view chat and attendees on the call. And with that, I will turn the call over to Russ. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, I see that somebody is in the middle of joining as well. Cell phone number ending 540.

KERRY ANN BARRETT: Hi, it's Kerry Ann.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you for joining. I think the first thing on the agenda is to talk about the upcoming face-to-face meetings. We sent out a Doodle poll

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

just to try and get a feel for everyone who was going to be at each of those meetings. Jennifer just pasted the URL for the Doodle poll into the chat. If you haven't filled it out, please do so some time during the call. Jennifer, is there anything else to share about the meeting?

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Hi, Russ. No, thanks. Just two people have not filled it out, one of whom is Kaveh, and I know that he will not be in Brussels but will be in Marrakesh. It seems like, for those of you who are not looking at the poll, it's a pretty consistent ten, although different people at each meeting, but ten will be in Brussels, and eleven in Marrakesh, and there's only one other person that hasn't filled it out. I guess from our side, if you have not booked your flights, please do that. That's for Brussels, but I think you've all received welcome emails from Marrakesh as well. I know that there's a couple of people outstanding who haven't yet booked their flights, so if you need help, as usual get in touch with us. But that's all that I have to share. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Thank you. The next agenda item is number two. While we were in Kobe, we asked to have a telephone conversation with the ICANN compliance folks, and when we made an attempt to set that call up, they said could you give us a feel for the kind of things that you wanna talk about, so that we have the right people on the phone?

So what we want to do now is gather the list of questions that people want to ask, so that we can get that meeting set up, so that the information we are going to get from that call, we have before our

---

meeting in Brussels. I think that Laurin is going to lead this part of the discussion, in terms of gathering the questions. Laurin, over to you.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Yes, hi everyone, this is Laurin. So essentially, first before I bring in some of the draft questions, kind of a quick description, because I think at least some people who are on this thing – in particular [inaudible] see things correctly, but knowing Kerry Ann, and [that's not too bad]. Essentially, what this call should be about, or what the basic concept was to just get some more insight for some of the things compliance is doing, and how they're doing it, the reason why, in Kobe, we came up with the idea to have a call, is that, as you know sending back and forth question and answers does take a significant amount of time, and does not always yield the kind of responses we would want, simply because – I mean I guess, staff just get like a sentence, question and sometimes it's [inaudible] to kind of realize what we want.

Right now, we have a few question items that I sent around, and I think we might want to add to that, or change some of them. Essentially, one question is about compliance's actions in regards to the [inaudible] case, what happened in particular during the transfer for us to understand how compliance operates. We had some follow-up questions on some of the written replies compliance had. I'm not the one to say which ones these were, so these would be added in. Then, we would have some questions about how many enforcement actions ICANN compliance took in 2018, in 2017, maybe some detail again for us to understand what they're doing, and how they're doing it.

---

And then, essentially, the next question ties in with what I already said, which is can you give us an idea, a description, of how compliance operates, how compliance proceeds, if actions are detected that are not considered appropriate, did they do this themselves, is there a process by which other bodies would request that, etc.

And then the final question I've got on the list is, essentially, what are the main obstacles they face during the procedures? What are the main obstacles they have when enforcing or when checking on compliance?

This is what we have at the moment, and essentially, we would like to see if there's anything else we should talk to them about, considering that they have a very public role when it comes to SSR concerns, particularly when it comes to – I want to say enforcement, but their functioning compliance to deal with parties that are not doing what they're supposed to. So, this is it right now, and I'd love to add to that list, or change questions in line with what the team thinks is useful.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Laurin, did you have a link or something that we can share in the Zoom room, so people can see the questions?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I will literally copy and paste it, if that's okay.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Thanks.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: It's in the chat room, everybody. So, it's essentially the questions I talked to, and I forgot to remove one note, which is I know that Denise has some questions, and in that email I asked her which ones these were. So, ignore that. [Norm], go ahead.

[NORM RITCHIE]: I don't know how to phrase a question, so I wanna ask for your help. I'll explain what I'd like to glean from this. One thing on compliance is my understanding is of contractual compliance. So they actually look at compliance as it applies to what's written into the contracts. One of the problems is those contracts are written up a while ago. I know one is 2013. The world's changed a lot, especially the Internet changes a lot in a short period of time, so are they still looking at abuse etc., as it was viewed back in 2013? Are they then hand-cuffed, they can't do anything further than that? Or is there any way for them to modify the contracts, so that then they can have something else more pertinent, so that they can actually act upon abusive behavior within the compliance department? So, like I say, I'm struggling in how to phrase that properly. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes, absolutely. I wrote some notes while you were speaking. Essentially, the issue is the contractual compliance based on contracts that are years old, and essentially the questions are: are you still relying on these old understandings and definitions, etc., that are in there? Are you bound by these old contracts? Yes, we are bound by these contracts

---

---

– we know that – but is being bound to these old contracts hindering them, or is there a way to provide updates?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: So, the key point, is it hindering them, currently on—

KERRY ANN BARRETT: Hi, Laurin. Hi, everyone. I was muted for a while and I had wanted to input on the question that was asked. Just let me know when I could come in.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Whenever you're ready.

KERRY ANN BARRETT: Yeah, okay. I was muted. I had to email them on the update. One of the things that was ... Laurin had to explain the question, so how Laureen explained everything, in terms of our concerns for compliance, was perfect, and the question on the agreements. The thing is that the agreements have been negotiated and updated recently, if anyone has some time to look at the SLA recommendations [on the] rationale, Russ had indicated that there is a document tracking the rationale, that will explain to everyone that the contracts do have enough work in it for them to pretty much request compliance from the registrar, in terms of what the minimum specification should be for more stability, what the contracts aren't strong on is security, and resilience, in terms of stability and the up-time that the registrar should ensure, and some of the

things that are included in it, the contract speaks to us, and it speaks to all the mechanisms that compliance could do. But compliance right now, all they do is require you to fix. So they give you a notification to fix, so they give you another notification to fix, but there's compliance will influence with them under the [inaudible]group. They are not minded to go through the rules of enforcement. Laurin had to use the language "enforcement" a few times, we can't use that language to them because they don't see themselves as an enforcement entity.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Yes.

KERRY ANN BARRETT:

So one of the things that I recommended is that we merge SLA and compliance under one arm, taking it out of probably future challenges, because the issue with compliance is that they need to get to the point where they reconsider what they think of themselves. It's not just contract compliance to make sure that all their contractors meet their obligations. We now need to get them to the point where they're thinking about the SLAs from the point of security and resilience, and not just stability, because the only thing that it does right now is try to address stability.

There are a couple of links I've put in the recommendations, so probably Jenny could circulate that on the analysis, because in the link it shows that a lot of the efforts that they've made, including press releases they've done, provide themselves as ICANN Org towards compliance have been that all we've checked across the globe. We've done a study,

and we've realized that compliance has been this level, and we're working with them to bring compliance up. But every time they see that compliance being brought up to a certain standard, it's just on stability.

So we have to coach as a team how we want to approach this with them. The recommendation I wrote for the SLA is to actually build up competence to deal with compliance from a security perspective, and to build in security into their agreements, which is not existent right now. But I know that they have the balance the WHOIS the fix that they have right now, that they're working with, which is a temporary spec, and to see what will happen later this year, in terms of how they plan to either re-issue new ones or ...

So, the question that Laurin [inaudible] the answers would have to be us more leaning towards give a recommendation for security and resilience. And if that helps everyone else, because we need the team to think about it from all the different angles that we've been doing analysis of the DNS, SSR etc.

How do we know [inaudible] substantive changes? Like one of them would be a budgetary requirement because we'll be asking for public increase in staff to deal with it. So we have to think about how the board is thinking about it as well. So I don't know if that helps anyone, but it's just one of the things that we need in order to finalize the compliance part of it to give meaningful recommendations that the board or ICANN Org will accept.



---

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Thanks for that, Kerry Ann. So, essentially, I continued taking notes, and I feel this is likely worth an email being sent out with these concerns to people who were involved in this to see how we can reword and make questions out of that. I hope that's okay with you, if we go that way, because right now I'm not sure how we'll put that into question form. But it's definitely something we need to address, and I think a lot of what you've said refers more to the recommendations and reports as a whole, if I understood you correctly. Please feel free to add more.

Okay, I can't hear Kerry Ann saying anything, so I assume this is done and taken care of. Is there anyone else who would like to add something, speak to concerns that I've not addressed yet, etc., that they think we should put on the agenda for our call?

NORM RITCHIE:

I'm guessing this is not just going to be a question/answer type of scenario. My gut is telling me that we're going to learn more, get a bit smarter, and then have more questions which is a discussion, not a question and answer scenario. I think the expectation should be given to compliance that we'd like to leave some time for discussion, not just Q&A.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Okay, I will copy that. That is a point that I've noted, and I've also sent under our email. Anything else we should add? I interpret the silence as a no, so if no one speaks up, I will hand back to Russ for point three.

---

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, I just want to be clear on who's taking the next step.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: That would be me.

RUSS HOUSLEY: [inaudible] an email and then sent over to the compliance folks for use of the conference that we'll talk about on the scheduled call.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes, Russ. Essentially, I'll put this in email form. KC and Denise, who are involved in this, are both not on this call, so I want to send it to them as well, make sure we're not forgetting something, and as I noted, there were some – not issues, but some open questions regarding the questions and the answers we got back, and Denise, I believe, collated them. That needs to be added [inaudible] so there will be an email from me to these people first, and then we will do the call.

RUSS HOUSLEY: So, could we say that you'll have that sorted out early next week?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: The email will go out today, so I guess by next week we should be fine.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, thank you. So the next topic is to go through the status table, and there are red items and there are blank items that we need to talk

---

about. In terms of the red ones, we want to understand what the obstacle is, and what the team can do to remove the obstacle, and in terms of the blank ones, I'd like to find out what the status is.

Jennifer had already put the link into the chat. She just repeated it, so it's at the bottom. So let's turn to that Google Doc. Everything on page one has a status that is either green or yellow, so we're okay there. In the ICANN SSR work stream, item number seven is marked red. Denise, Kerry Ann, and Zarko are working this topic. It's perform an assessment on how effectively ICANN has implemented its process to ensure compliance regarding SSR agreements, and the consensus policies. My belief is that the reason this is red is because the phone call that we just did the questions for has not taken place yet. Is that correct?

KERRY ANN BARRETT:

That's correct. And I know Denise is on this call, I don't know if Zarko is, but we haven't had a chance to sit and talk this through, but I've been tracking it and my reason, I think eventually that that area, at some point, will have to marry with the compliance and SLA section as well, instead of having multiple sections to deal with it, because the questions kind of all lead to the same issues, and identifies the same, as the records are coming in, identifies the same issues. So to find a way to summarize all three areas, I think I'd see a substantive recommendation that addresses the concerns you have under those work streams.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Sure. We know that there will be overlap among these topics, that we're going to have to sort out when we go to put the report together. But

---

the thing that's blocking the recommendations here is that phone call. Is that right?

KERRY ANN BARRETT: Yes, and that we haven't sat together yet on it as well.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Right. [inaudible] be accurate with this information on the phone call. Okay.

KERRY ANN BARRETT: Yep.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Alright. The next one is in the DNS SSR workstream, the BC and DR plan, Boban and Zarko are working that. It's blank. Zarko's not here. Boban, can you tell us where we are on this?

BOBAN KRŠIĆ: Here we are, yes. Found the button. So, we received last week on Friday some answers to the questions of ICANN/SSR, and there are also BC and DR related questions and answers. I looked at them, and I'm not really sure if you know all answers to answer DNSSR related costs. So I would like to clarify on this issue, and send only one question to ICANN staff, to forward it to the SMEs, and hopefully got the right answer, but I would say it's not red. It's, let's say, yellow. Yellow is a good status for this one.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, can we get that follow up question to staff, say, by Monday?

BOBAN KRSIC: I will send it out today.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you.

BOBAN KRSIC: You're welcome.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. The next one that is blank is the name collision one. Denise and Eric are working on that. Denise is not here. Eric, can you share on anything?

ERIC OSTERWEIL: There's no status update.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Hopefully after the spring break period, you and Denise can get together and figure that one out.

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Sounds good.

---

RUSS HOUSLEY: When we get down to section three, there's accountability and transparency, which is Eric and Naveed. Anything to share there?

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Naveed has pinged a couple of times looking for access to do writing on the document, and I'm not sure where it went after that. I released the token to him, so I don't know if there's something that he's got in mind. I'm not sure if he's on the call or not, but maybe Naveed knows.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I don't see him on the call. Should we ...?

ERIC OSTERWEIL: I guess probably no status then. He told me he wanted access, and I said the token's all his. And then he asked ... not entirely sure what happened after that.

RUSS HOUSLEY: What I'm hearing is that we should change the lead to Naveed?

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Yeah. That's definitely fine with me.

---

RUSS HOUSLEY:                    Alright. The next one that's blank is one that Scott is working alone. Scott, the IANA registry availability metrics.

SCOTT MCCORMICK:                Trying to recall on that one. I thought we had submitted questions for that one, and I hadn't got any responses yet. I could be wrong on that.

RUSS HOUSLEY:                    I think the ... Jennifer sent out yesterday a list of – a small number of questions we have not gotten into, the rest of them came in last Friday.

SCOTT MCCORMICK:                Okay, I'll follow up on that one, then.

RUSS HOUSLEY:                    Thank you. The next one that we're missing is domain name hijacking protections. Zarko, Denise, Norm, Eric, and Boban are working this. Zarko's not with us, [inaudible]. Can one of the others share where we are?

I take that as a no.

BOBAN KRSIC:                     No, not really, and I would propose to get in touch directly with the team, to figure out where we are and what we need. Because I have no updates and no information regarding what we're talking about in Kobe. So, that's my current status, and I would really appreciate if you could

---

get in touch and talk about it. Laurin, Norm, feel free to [inaudible] me, and then we can set up a Zoom, and it works really good, and we can clarify this issue.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you. Great. The next one is the [inaudible] of registrars, registries, back-end operators. Eric, Denise, Norm and Boban are working this one.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I don't think we've had a chance to touch base, so I don't think there's any status update for tomorrow [inaudible].

RUSS HOUSLEY: Again, then, after the spring break season is over, let's get the team together. The next one is red, which is new uses for DNS, such as IRT. Norm, Eric, Kerry Ann, and Naveed are working this one. What's the obstacle that's making this red?

KERRY ANN BARRETT: We haven't come together yet, and we haven't started to work on it yet. I think it's just more time for that one. I don't know if there's any major obstacles, just haven't met yet. Laurin, I don't know if you have anything else to ... in terms of impediments.



---

LAURIN WEISSINGER: This is Lauren, I don't think there are any other impediments, it's simply that this one has been pushed back over other things that we're trying to get done. This is what I think. I'm not sure who's actually leading that one. Oh, Kerry Ann, okay. Essentially, it's just we have been dealing with other stuff. That's all I know.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. The next one that's blank is alternate naming systems. Norm, Laurin, and Eric are working this one. Eric has the lead. Eric, if you're speaking, you're muted.

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Sorry, I had a drop on my cell. Was there a question to me?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes. Alternate naming systems. Where are we?

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Yeah. Laurin and I had a brief conversation in Kobe we haven't really followed up with, but I don't really think we had any questions on this. You can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not at the computer right now. But that one just needs some strawman text that I think I took the token for, so I think a token to do strawman text. Is it just me and Laurin? Who is it on that?

RUSS HOUSLEY: You, Laurin, and Norm.

ERIC OSTERWEIL: And Norm. Okay. I guess we weren't talk with Norm. We were just sitting next to each other in Kobe, so I need to put the thoughts together, because I think I had a couple things that I took a token for. So that one's on me. I should be able to turn that one around. Where are we now? We're on Thursday. I should be able to turn that straw man around at least between Norm and Laurin and I by this call next week. So by next call, we should be able to say something.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Great. I marked it yellow because it sounds like it's just a matter of finding time to work on it, as opposed to you're having to ride around any obstacle. The next one that's red is the root server system protection, assess the threat scape for top threats, like DDoS to the root system. Kerry Ann, Eric, Norm, Laurin, and Noorul, Noorul as lead. Noorul, can you tell us where we are?

NOORUL AMEEN: Hello. In this topic, we have two questions and we have got answer for these two questions. I think we can change the status from red to yellow in this topic. And also I will discuss the updates with my fellow team members, and I'll put my final comment on. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you. Alright, let's go ahead and continue work on these topics. We have gotten a whole lot of our questions answered in the last week. We just need to go through them as the topic teams, and start putting

---

---

text in the Google doc. Right. Thank you so much. At this point, is there any other business that people want to share? Okay, not hearing any other business. Jennifer, could you take us through the action items and decisions?

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Hi, sure, I will do that. I captured two action items – the first one for Laurin to initiate the email thread today to finalize the addendum questions for the compliance discussion based on today's discussion, and Boban is going to send a follow-up question today for staff based on their written responses to the previous questions. That's all I have. Thanks.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Could we just record one for everyone to keep working on their topics?

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Sure thing. I'll do that.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Thank you. Alright. Unless anybody has thought of something in the last minute, we're done.

KERRY ANN BARRETT:

Bye, everybody.

---

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thanks, everyone.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Bye.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Bye-bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**