

---

BRENDA BREWER: Good day everyone, this is Brenda speaking. Welcome to SSR2 Review Team Plenary call #65, on April 11<sup>th</sup>, 2019 at 14:00 UTC. Attending the call today is Danko, Norm, Russ, Ram Krishna, Kaveh, and Laurin. We have apologies from Kerry-Ann, Boban, Eric, Alain, Naveed and Denise. Attending from ICANN org. is Charla, Jennifer, Negar and Brenda. We have no observers at this time.

I'd like to remind you today's call is being recorded, please state your name before speaking for the transcript. And Russ, I'll turn the call over to you. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, thank you. The agenda is on the screen. I think the first couple items are from staff. I don't know if Jennifer or Brenda is going to talk to them?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Hi, Russ. Hi, everyone. Thank you, this is Jennifer here. Yes, thank you. The first item, Marrakesh meeting date, so I feel like we're just back from Kobe, obviously Marrakesh is not too far from us now. So, the meeting, the team has requested to meet face-to-face on the 21<sup>st</sup> of June. That request has been confirmed and approved, so Brenda has sent calendar invites to you all. Please pull up those dates.

And then, the morning of the 27<sup>th</sup>, we'll plan to do a wrap up as we did in Kobe. That request we need to submit via the usual channels for the meeting, so we'll do that in the end of April, though it's not confirmed,

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

however, we do not foresee any issues with that. Once again, we should have that date in your calendars, please hold the date and look out in your e-mails for the usual travel e-mails in the coming weeks. Any questions on that before I move onto the next item, agenda item?

RUSS HOUSELY: This is Russ, I got the welcome message this morning. So, others will probably be getting theirs soon.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Good to hear, thanks Russ. So, Brussels also coming up, 17<sup>th</sup> to the 19<sup>th</sup> of May. I believe that most team members have booked their flights, but there is actually four or five team members who have not yet done so. I've been informed by travel team. So, we'll be reaching out to those people directly just to make sure everything is good. But if you are one of those people that have not yet booked your flights, then please do that.

I know that we're communicating with a couple of team members regarding finalizing Visa's, but if you are not one of those people and you haven't booked your flight, then please do so, and of course, reach out to us if you're having any problems. And then, the hotel confirmations will be coming shortly. But the team will be staying at the Aloft Hotel, which is very close to the Brussels office, within walking distance with a couple of minutes. With that, I will move on, unless anybody has any questions on Brussels. The technical writer agenda item I'm going to hand over to Negar for this one, thanks.

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Thank you, Jennifer. Good morning, good afternoon, everybody. I just wanted to give you a quick update. We're making really, really good progress narrowing down the list of candidates, and we should have someone for you very, very shortly to hopefully get the right resource started with the work of the review. And at this rate, I'm hoping there will be plenty of time for this individual to get up to speed on the work that you have done to date, so that when you are in Brussels, and doing the majority of your writing you have your technical writer on hand, aware of the process to help you start drafting everything up and putting it all together. Any particular questions or concerns that I can help address?

RUSS HOUSELY: No, I think we've just been clear; the sooner the better so they can be up to speed by Brussels. It sounds like we're on track for that to happen, thank you.

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Yeah, most definitely, and we reviewed a long list of candidates. We've gone through, I want to say 12+ candidates. As the list is narrowing down, there is one that's emerging as very, very suitable from all perspectives. Our coms team who has been assessing individuals from the technical writing skills said he is quite impressed by this individual, so I think we've got a really good candidate to go forward to you guys and get them started with your work. So, I'm very, very excited about that.

RUSS HOUSELY:

Okay, great. Any questions for Staff on any of the group 1 topics? Okay, let's move onto topic 2, which is getting a status on each of the topics that we're working on the three workstreams? I sent out a table, and the agenda has a link to the Google doc. I asked that each team put a status in. It looks like maybe a third of them got a status, so I'm hoping we can figure out where we are at this point.

So, we'll start with the ICANN SSR workstream. Topic 1 on that, Nurul has the lead and he says it's yellow. So, is there anyone on that team that can tell us what we can do to clear the, clear whatever obstacle that is keeping the team from wrapping that one up? I don't think any of the people are on the call.

Okay, the next one, topic 2, we don't have a status, and in regret Boban said he would fill that in by the end of the day, so I'm sure we'll hear from that.

The third one seems to be in good position, yellow/green I take it means you just need some questions answered, and we're going to get those early next week is the current projections for all of the questions.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER:

Yes, this has been discussed, but there's some more stuff that needs to happen, but there should definitely be something to talk about at Brussels.

---

RUSS HOUSELY:

Great. Number 4 is yellow, I don't see Scott on the call, so I don't know what we can do, I don't think any of those people are here, is that right?

All right, number 5; I'm the lead on that one and it's blank. I reached out to my teammates earlier in the week, didn't get anything back. I've been travelling, and I just was trying to find out if there was anything happened while I was gone. I didn't get an answer, so I didn't fill it in. I will follow up on that tomorrow. So, the next one-

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Russ, it's Jennifer. If I may, just to note, that Kerri-Ann sent an e-mail to us overnight and she said that she's working on text for that compliance section. She's going to send it to you and to Naveed today.

RUSS HOUSELY:

Super. All right. She answered the whole list, but not me. Fair enough. It sounds like it's kind of yellow/green then, because we still have the other part of it. All right, 6 is yellow, and the pre-delegation part is green.

And 7, do we have any of those people on the call? No, we don't. Okay, I'll nudge some people on that one.

Okay, moving to the DNS SSR, under section 1, data sharing, Casey doesn't have anything here, and she's not on the call.

---

LAURIN WEISSINGER: This is Laurin, I can say that I had a call with Casey about this. So, there is some movement, but I'm not in the position to give a color code.

RUSS HOUSELY: Okay, so it's still unknown, but we can be assured that it's not idle.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Exactly.

RUSS HOUSELY: Okay. So, the business continuity, disaster recovery plan, Boban and Žarko were working. Again, I'm sure they will fill that in by the end of the day. Name collision, I don't see Denise or Eric here today. All right, we'll nudge them on that. Route zone change management stream, TLD screen, and NSDS record management screen. Okay, the best practice and system for L route looks to be yellow. Let's see...is there anything we can do to help eliminate the obstacle? No, neither of them is here to talk about that, okay. Comment on RSSAC document around proposed governance model for route servers...I don't see any of those authors here either. All right, we'll nudge them.

All right, section 3; accountability and transparency, neither Eric nor Naveed are here.

Section 4; SLA, that's green, and the draft text has been shared, so that's great.

Propagation delay, Eric and Casey are not here.

---

IANA registry availability, Scott, and he's not here.

Identify key performance indicators for SSR measurements, Laurin, you're the only one here, is there anything you can share?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: This is Laurin, not that much. Again, I know that we had some discussions on this, several with Eric. I talked about it, and we touched on it as well, I think in Kobe? I'm unsure, but I mean, essentially, I know stuff has been happening, but again, I'm not the one to give this kind of code. But I think there is a lot of interaction between that one and the data sharing and some other transparency ones, which might make it more difficult to say which one is there, because there is research in discussion of these issues.

RUSS HOUSELY: Oh sure, and we need to have this research done to know whether they should be combined in the final report or whatever.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes, exactly.

RUSS HOUSELY: Okay. All right, next section, section 5; transparency. Norm, you're on the call, is there anything we can do to eliminate the obstacle that's making this yellow?

---

NORM RICHIE: No, this just really requires that we have a teleconference and make sure all are in agreement, and then line it up. But I can give you that teleconference, I'll arrange that within the next two weeks.

RUSS HOUSELY: Great, thank you. Okay, the next one, Norm or Laurin, is there anything you can share here?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Sorry Russ, which one?

RUSS HOUSELY: Sorry, we're on reactive versus proactive?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes, I can say something about that. Again, I'm not the one in charge, but essentially, we are looking at talking to ICANN Compliance about this, but we want to formulate some key questions, and we are in that process. I sent out an e-mail to everyone after the leadership call on Monday, but we don't have, some of it yet, essentially because I believe we have to react to some of the answers that came back, and then kind of set a call time. This hasn't happened yet. So, I think, yeah, yellow is probably the most appropriate.

RUSS HOUSELY: So, I worry that we're about to send more questions, is the way that I'm hearing that?



LAURIN WEISSINGER: This is Laurin again. I think we wanted to have a call with ICANN Compliance, rather than sending written questions and there were some actions in Kobe to make that happen, but then we need some of these questions so they know what's what, what we want and what we need before that call is done.

RUSS HOUSELY: Oh, okay, I feel much better. It was beginning to send like endless loop of questions, so good. I think that's great. I see that Negar and --

NORM RICHIE: Hi, this is Norm.

RUSS HOUSELY: Go ahead, Norm.

NORM RICHIE: Yeah, are we going to have a call? I was a bit confused. What happened is, we wanted to have a conversation, and it turned into everybody is on board to administer it, and I'm not clear now whether we are putting together a list of questions that then will be responded to in a full process, or we'll put together a list of questions that will end up being discussed at a phone call? What we need is discussion; not back and forth.

---

RUSS HOUSELY: Right, so what I remember coming out of Kobe, and it sounds like this is what Laurin was saying, that they wanted to understand the basic topic that you wanted to discuss on the call, and that's what the questions were so that the compliance test to make sure they had the right people on the call.

NORM RICHIE: Okay, then that's good.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: This is Laurin --

RUSS HOUSELY: Does somebody have a different impression?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: This is Laurin again quickly, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think he just wants to sit down and have a conversation, and then in Kobe this didn't work because of too many everything's going on, and then it was like, okay, let's have a call time. But then, if I remember correctly, they sort of scrapped compliance and said, well, give us some idea what you actually want from us, and we're still kind of playing with this. And I sent out an e-mail with some ideas this week, and I think the idea is to just give this to compliance so they know what's going on, and then have a call and have a bit of a discussion rather than sending questions back and forth.

---

RUSS HOUSELY: Okay, so it sounds like it could take awhile to set the call up once we have the questions, so let's see if we can put a priority on getting those questions compiled so they can figure out who the right people are, so we can do the calendar.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay.

RUSS HOUSELY: Okay. The big stick one seems to be yellow, we're waiting on information. I can't tell from the write-up whether those are questions that we have already asked, or there's something else.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: This is Laurin, I think this is, again, one that kind of interacts strongly with the one before.

RUSS HOUSELY: I see, okay.

NORM RICHIE: This is Norm, that's exactly what I was going to say.

---

RUSS HOUSELY: Okay, super. Next one is the IDN stuff, and that's green, we have draft text. And then moving onto section 6, the test of software is green/yellow, waiting to check out the prototype. Laurin, do you know what that means?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes, because I wrote it. So, what has happened is, we looked at what is being done in that area, and ICANN indeed asked someone to build such a test pad. But it has not been public and available when we were in Kobe. And Eric and I said well, let's see what comes out of this, and particularly I wanted to have a look at in practice before we write anything about it, because of the addressing issues that don't exist anymore within that would be kind of stupid. So, I have to go in at some point and check what happened with that. But he said he would need a few weeks to do it, so we'll see.

RUSS HOUSELY: Okay. Moving onto 7; domain name hijacking protection. Norm, you're the only one that's here, but Zarko has the lead.

NORM RICHIE: Sorry, had problems unmuting my mic. I don't really have an update for this. I don't know where we're at.

RUSS HOUSELY: Okay, could you ping your team, please?

---

NORM RICHIE:                    Yeah.

RUSS HOUSELY:                Okay, thank you.    All right, moving onto the future challenges, coalescence, again, Norm, you're the only one who's here on that team.

NORM RICHIE:                Yeah, I haven't had any initial activity on this since our meeting in Kobe.

RUSS HOUSELY:                Okay, it's interesting that Laurin -- the next one says that working on things that need to coalesce.    All right, things need to coalesce with things above.    Laurin?

LAURIN WEISSINGER:        Oh, that is me, sorry.    Sure.    I lost connection to the room, so I don't see what's going on, but I'm still on the audio.    Yes, so again, access to data intro, research and important business hijack, this obviously interacts with a variety of things from data sharing, data release of a lot of other stuff.    Again, discussions were, I mean, we were having some, and I think the problem is, essentially again, that we have to think about how these things come together predominately, and I'm not sure when that will be possible, essentially.    I mean, I'm happy to do a call, we'll have to see if we can get it to happen.    I should say, we have draft text.

---

RUSS HOUSELY: Right, okay. All right, the next one is the Krypto section, and so we have draft text on the post-quantum, we have some questions that need answers regarding the elliptic curve part, but Olan has the pen on the elliptic curve part, and he says he will send text tomorrow, so I don't know how he's doing that without the answer to the question, but we'll see what he's got.

The next one is; new uses for DNS. Laurin, you're the only one on that team on the call, do you know?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: This is Lauren. For this one, I frankly do not.

RUSS HOUSELY: Okay. And, alternate naming systems, Laurin and Norm are both on the call, but Eric has the lead. Do you know where we are?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: This is Laurin. I know that there is some stuff regarding that issue in the t-ball that Eric drafted into the drafted recommendations document. There were discussions about it too, but again, I think we need to kind of sit down and have a final agreement on how important this is, and what should we write about it. That is my personal feeling, Norm, please add to this. Because again, this is one where I'm not 100% sure.

---

RUSS HOUSELY: Okay. And, route system protection, Norm and Laurin again are the only ones from that team that are on the call. Do either of you know where we are?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: This is Laurin, not speaking in my capacity as someone on this, but as the person who led the last call. And Nurul in charge of this, and correct me if I'm wrong, I believe we had an action item to contact him and remind him that he's in charge of that. Am I correct in that?

JENNIFER BRYCE: That's correct, and Nurul actually had posted something either to the list or, I don't have the e-mail in front of me, it wasn't any content but it was to say that he was aware of it, and he was working on it.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay, this is Laurin, thank you. I don't think I have that e-mail, I just searched for his name. Okay, well, I don't know Russ. I don't know what you want to do.

RUSS HOUSELY: Okay, well, the fact that he's acknowledged that he's got the lead, he needs to pull the team together. All right, I'll send him a note. And, privacy protections is the last one. Again, Norm and Laurin are the only ones on that team that are on the call.

---

LAURIN WEISSINGER: This is Laurin. Norm is also silent; I think it's another one where I simply do not know the status. I'm not sure, Norm, do you know anything? Have you heard from anybody? I know we had a session in Kobe to discuss it, but that was about the last thing I know.

NORM RICHIE: Yeah, correct, so the last update on that is discussions at Kobe, face-to-face. I have not seen any additional updates.

RUSS HOUSELY: Okay, so I will send notes to the team leads here, and make sure that things are moving along. I want to make sure that we're going to have all of the material gathered that we need to do the writing when we get together in May. Is there anyone on the call who is aware of something that's blocking progress that the team can do to unblock?

Okay, seeing no hands, seeing nothing in the text, or the chat. All right, let's move to any other business. Anything anyone on the call would like to raise? Ah, Norm? Are others hearing Norm?

JENNIFER BRYCE: I cannot hear Norm.



---

RUSS HOUSELY: Norm, we're not hearing you, which is interesting because Adobe is showing little waves coming out of your microphone, but we're not hearing you.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Norm over the chat, the microphone issue. Brenda, do you want to do your quick AOB thing that we had while we wait for Norm?

BRENDA BREWER: Certainly, thank you. This is Brenda, and I just wanted to let everyone know that next week, next week's plenary call will be using Zoom instead of Adobe Connect, and that will be the rule going forward; we'll be using Zoom. So, your calendar invite will come out, most likely today, for next week's meeting, and you'll see a Zoom link, and I do suggest that you dial in, or connect with Zoom maybe 15 or 20 minutes early, just to alleviate any problems before the start of the call. There shouldn't be any problems, but just in case, we just want to play it safe. So, look forward to using Zoom, and it starts next week. Thanks.

RUSS HOUSELY: I guess as a follow onto that, we've used it on the Leaders' coordination call twice, and it seemed to work out just fine. So, hopefully we'll have the same experience with the bigger group. I understand the Board has been using it for quite awhile now. All right, Norm, let's try again and see if we can hear you? It's showing you muted, Norm. All right, can you speak?

---

NORM RICHIE: Can you hear me?

RUSS HOUSELY: Yes!

NORM RICHIE: Hello? Okay. So glad. No matter what, Zoom will be better than this. What I was saying was, at the meetings in Brussels, is the intent to have some time to also have a discussion? Like, carve out a meeting or something like that, or it's all drafting, what's your thoughts on that?

RUSS HOUSELY: I don't know that completely, because I'm trying to get a feel for where we are in terms of the groups each coming together. We definitely will need some time for discussion to make sure we're getting to consensus across the whole team, but I'm hoping that at least each of these topics that has a small team working on it will have consensus within the topic to share with the bigger group.

NORM RICHIE: Okay, so the sub-groups or whatever we're calling them, should have their own consensus, and then presenting that to the larger group, or group consensus?

RUSS HOUSELY: That's the idea, yes.

NORM RICHIE:                      Okay, got it, okay. Sounds good.

RUSS HOUSELY:                    Okay, over to you, Jennifer.

JENNIFER BRYCE:                Thank you. Well, Russ, you'll be pleased to know that the one action item that I captured officially is for you, to send a note to each of the team leads to ensure that everything is still moving forward and to check if there are any roadblocks that they need help with from the rest of the team or from staff. And then, that's obviously to note that the team should be continuing in their own topics. I think there's a couple of people to put on those in the groups together. With that, with that one formal action item, please let me know if there's anything else you want to record officially, thanks.

RUSS HOUSELY:                    Okay, that sounds good. Seeing no hands, seeing nothing in the chat. I think we're done. I'm a little discouraged with the number of blanks on the Google Docs, but I really hope we can get the teams together on the surrounding various topics and get the material we need to have a productive meeting in Brussels. Thank you all, talk to you soon.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**