

---

BRENDA BREWER:

Thank you everyone, good day. This is Brenda speaking. Welcome to SSR2 Review Team Plenary Call #64 on the 28th of March, 2019, at 14:00 UTC. Attending the call today is Elaine, Danko, Laurin, Ram Krishna, Kerry-Ann, Eric, and Norm. We will have Mr. Matogoro joining us shortly. Apologies from Russ and Boban, and Kaveh. Attending from ICANN Org is Jennifer, Brenda, Steve, and Negar. Today's call is being recorded. I'd like to remind you to please state your name before speaking for the transcript, and Jennifer, I'll turn the call over to you. Thank you.

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Great, thanks Brenda. So the first item is the Brussels meeting which as you know is taking place on the 17th, 18th, and 19th of May. We just wanted to add this to the agenda to give any review team members a chance to let us know if you haven't already, if you need any help with visas. We're already working with one review team member, but if you require any assistance, please do let us know so that we can help as you as best as we can. We know that the time is coming up quickly. The hotel confirmations haven't been sent yet, but I believe that you all should be in the process of booking your sites, if you have not already done that.

I see that Alain, you have your hand raised. Please go ahead. Alain, I can't hear you. You're very, very faint, we can hear you but very faintly. Okay, let's move on, and then Alain, if you wouldn't mind sending an email or typing in the chat so that we can help you. Does anyone else

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

have any questions or comments before we move on to the next item on the agenda? Okay, seeing no other hands raised, I will move on.

So, the technical writer, as you all, and was discussed in Kobe, we are in the process of having the review team hire a technical writer. So, at the moment we are affecting the candidates that have submitted their interest for their role, and we hope to be able to provide the candidates to the review team in a couple weeks for their selection process. So, that's where we are with that, and every week we will continue to add this to the agenda and update the team because we know that the May meeting in Brussels is your timeline for the recruitment of the technical writer. So again, I will stop here, are there any questions before I move on to the next item? Okay.

Moving on, then, to the answers to the questions. As you have seen, I have been posting the answers to questions to the list and I've also been adding them to the Google Document. At the moment we've got 58 answers outstanding of the 200+ questions that were asked. So, we'll keep working on getting the answers. There are 6 requests for clarification, so if you wouldn't mind, please checking the latest email that I sent today, and see if your name is against one of those items that requires clarification.

With regard to the rest of the outstanding questions, we were hoping that the end of March which is in a couple of days, we would be able to have the answers. However, some of our colleagues have come back and said they need a little bit more time so it is going to early April in the coming couple of weeks, while they get the final approval on the answers to the questions. Of course, any questions that come through,

---

we will continue to trickle them through, and list them out into the document. So with that, unfortunately I don't have any more updates on the answers, and with that, I will pause for questions. Okay, Kerry-Ann, go ahead.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT:

Hi Jenn. Yesterday I was going through this document in Google Docs with all the answers in it. Most of them were organized under the topic, but there was a batch that was at the bottom in red, that seemed to be I think some of the notes from LA. I was just wondering in terms of responses that we've been getting from ICANN Staff, in terms of do we still track, are we still copy/pasting the responses that you send by email into the Google document, but that's actually at the bottom, I wasn't sure how to treat the information in it.

I don't know if we still need to keep the notes at the bottom, or just to keep a clean Google doc that has all the questions under the various headers as we have a volunteer Workstream document. Because what I'm doing, I'm taking the answers based on the topics and arranging all the answers for analysis and recommendations. So I'm just wondering what we do with the notes that are at the bottom right now.

JENNIFER BRYCE:

This is Jennifer. I just posted into the chat the document that I have been working on. I'm not sure if this is the same document that you're referencing, because I don't see the red text at the bottom.

---

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: Alright, I'll probably lose the link, but the one that I have is a link that I had saved, and this probably is a new document and I'm using an old link, because I saved it in my laptop, so at least I have quick access to the Google doc. So, I'll use this link that you sent now, since this is the most updated.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Alright, and if I could just make a general comment on the Google documents. Obviously there are a lot of them floating around and we're trying to keep them as concise as possible. These documents are your documents so anybody on the review team please feel free, if there is a way that you feel would be better for you to organize your work, please do that, you're welcome to do so, as long as it doesn't obviously affect the content of it. And with that, I will pass over to, I guess Eric and Laurin are two Leadership Development Team members, oh, Denise is here, too, to lead Item #3, the update on the recommendations.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Thank you, Jennifer. This is Laurin. We went through some stuff on Monday, due to the fact that Russ wasn't available. A lot of work now is in smaller groups, I assume this will be a rather quick call indeed. So essentially from where I stand, you have a variety of SAC roots at the moment there are different levels of progress for a variety of questions which is partly due to the fact that we have missing answers, so it's just a kind of heads up, even though there was an email.

We do have some answers back this week and quite a few clarification of the detail were requested from staff side. I think Jennifer sent an

---

email today so please everyone check if these concern you and then coordinate with the other people on the questions to figure out what Staff needs and if you can provide that in the first place. So, that's that.

The other thing we kind of agreed in Kobe to do would simply be to run through the issues, so this is the volunteers doc under Point #3, and just like get an update from everyone who is on the call. I can see we don't have everyone on, so that might be limited. I hear someone speak. Okay, I assume that wasn't a question. Not hearing anything, okay. And so, essentially we currently have a lot of topics and I'll just kind of run through, see what is going on with each of them.

The first topic is the Information Security Management System, and that is Matogoro and Alain who are on the call, can one of you either by voice or by writing, tell us where we stand on that? This is Laurin, can anyone understand Mr. Matogoro? Okay, so I just asked Mr. Matogoro if he can type his comments and I can see that Alain is saying he's catching up, so I think that means -- okay, Brenda, can we clear Mr. Matogoro up? I can see he's trying to speak, but I can't understand a word.

BRENDA BREWER:

This is Brenda. Just to report that we did dial out to Mr. Matogoro so I can't explain the poor audio. I could dial out again, I'm not sure if that would help.

---

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Brenda if you could try, that would be great, and then we can cycle back to Point #1 when that has happened. [AUDIO BREAK]

Okay, I assume Mr. Matogoro is now being called out again. While that happens, let's do #2, which is Continuity. Boban and Danko are not on the call as far as I can see. Alain, would this be the same answer as you had for #1? Not hearing anything so, ah, okay, yes, good, okay. So this is still under work.

Number three is the Assessment of ICANN Risk Management and Methodology. That is Boban, Kerry-Ann, Danko, and myself. I think with this one, we have started working on it. We do have outstanding questions on that one. We have drafted at least a level of recommendation type wording, but will be waiting for the answers to the question. I know Kerry-Ann is on the call, so if you have any other points on that one, please speak up. Okay, nothing.

Number four is Security Incident and Response Process. That is Scott, not on the call, so we're just moving on.

Number five is Assessment of Internal Security Stability and Resiliency of ICANN's Operating Process and Services. This is Kerry-Ann, Russ, and Naveed. Naveed and Kerry-Ann, can you comment on that one?

KERRY-ANN BARRETT:

We haven't started it yet. I've been looking at the answers coming in, but Naveed and I haven't had an opportunity to meet as yet. Naveed, if you're on the call? Okay, I can't see because I've dialed in. Naveed, some of the others that I started to look at, like for example the SLA and

---

some of the others that we're part of, I think by next week you and I could try and meet and start to formulate a recommendation.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Okay, yeah, so Naveed is typing in chat, Kerry-Ann that you haven't synchronized and he had a look at the answers, so if you could push ahead next week and get something started, that will be great. Okay, and then obviously Russ is on this too, and I'm sure he will be happy to join in, because he should be back from his meeting next week.

Okay, #6, that is an assessment -- okay, just a note on the last topic, that Russ asked to have Kerry-Ann and Naveed have a stab at this on. Number 6 is the assessment of how effectively ICANN can implement its process around the registry operators and services concerning the new gTLD delegation and transition process. This is Norm, who I think is on the call, and Ram, as well. So if you could give us a quick update on that one?

NORM RITCHIE:

Yeah, this is Norm. There is no change since the ICANN meeting, we're still waiting for responses to complete this.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Okay, thank you very much. So I guess we'll just cycle back to this until we have answers, and you can give us the same answer every week. Okay, last one on the ICANN SSR, is performing assessment how effectively ICANN has implemented its processes to ensure compliance regarding registrar operators and the consensus policies. This is Denise,

---

Kerry-Ann, and Danko. Denise and Kerry-Ann are both on, so if you could give us an update, that would be great.

DENISE MICHEL: This is Denise, can you hear me?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes, Denise.

DENISE MICHEL: We have made no further progress on this as of this call.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay, just so we know, is this due to the fact that there are 12 questions outstanding according to the Google doc, or is it just you have been unable conduct a meeting?

DENISE MICHEL: Both. We haven't gotten together on it and in part due to the questions outstanding. Does Staff have any update on the questions?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: We have a general update, I'm not sure when you joined, Denise. ALAC should be coming in next week, essentially. I can see Mr. Matogoro is back, so we would quickly cycle back to #1, which is the information security management system. Mr. Matogoro, you had comments

---

before, but we couldn't understand anything. Could you voice these now, if possible?

JABHERA MATOGORO: Hello.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes, we can hear you now.

JABHERA MATOGORO: Thank you for joining, and all I can say is I saw a number of response on the questions that we are posed during our message in Los Angeles. What we have done is we have tried to look on how we compile those, and then with the group members with Denise and others, so that we can work on that. So I think that is what the public has seen so far.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Thank you very much. When do you think we'll be able to look at something, like a week from now, two weeks, three weeks? Just so we have an idea of where we stand.

JABHERA MATOGORO: Okay, so maybe we can try to discuss with Denise, so by the next meeting we have something we present on the progress.

---

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay, thank you very much, that's great. Again, glad you were able to comment on that after the technical issues. So, the second one we have to go through is the DNS-SSR, I know there are a lot of topics, so I'll try to run through this very quickly. The data sharing and data release which is KC thing, KC is not on the call, oh no, KC is on the call now. KC, could you comment on the data sharing and data release in the DNS-SSR, so how far that work is? I can see KC typing.

Okay, while KC is typing, I'll just go through a few and cycle back. The soft recovery plan, Boban and Danko are not on the call, so we cannot get an update on that. Name collision is Denise and Eric, and before I hand over, KC just noted, "No audio, but should be able to finish by next week," which is great, thank you KC. So, Denise and Eric, one of you can give us some idea of what's happening with the name collision topic.

DENISE MICHEL: Eric and I haven't had a chance to sync after Japan on this, but we should be able to in the next couple weeks.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay, awesome, thank you very much. The next three I'm on, so I'll go for that. This is root zone change management TLD label management, and MFDS record management. This is Boban, Danko, and myself. Essentially we got some replies back yesterday or today. We have more information now, which is great. We will have to connect if we have any followups or if we're happy with what is happening, I'll make sure to speak to Boban and Danko via email, see if we can do something on that.

---

The next section is root server systems, the best practice on system hardening. We have got Alain and Naveed. So, if one of you could give us an update where we stand on that aspect, please go ahead. [AUDIO BREAK]

I can see Naveed is typing. If you could just type it and I'll cycle back as soon as you have typed it out. Okay, so Naveed is saying "working on this one," so I assume this is on the way. We'll cycle back to it next week or the week after.

Comment on the RSSAC document for the root server environment. This is KC, Alain, and Naveed. Where do we stand on that one? This is also a work in progress. Okay. I can see Naveed is typing. Okay, so apparently the document, at least one person has not read it yet, so KC, Alain, and Naveed if you are able to, please coordinate, have a look at it, and see if we have to do something on this. I can see KC is typing. Okay, KC said that's lovely, thank you very much.

Section 3, ultimate roots, accountability and transparency with respect to risks and benefits. This is Eric and Naveed, if one of you can let us know where we stand with this one? Eric it typing. Okay, this is another one where no meeting or chat was possible yet, so please go ahead and try to coordinate.

Section 4 which is the SSR measurements, SLA compliance, which is only Kerry-Ann. Kerry-Ann can you let us know what is going on with this one, or if you need help, maybe.

---

KERRY-ANN BARRETT:

I am in the process of drafting two recommendations, but I think I will need help with it once I'm finished. I'm going to send the analysis with the recommendations to circulate to the group. The observation I'm having which I plan to speak to Russ and Denise, and I think some other persons on the compliance Workstream, is seen that there seems to be synergy with some aspect of it. I don't know if you would call that in the future challenges section.

We do have a compliance line of questions that we ask and I think some of it relevant to the SLA part of it, in terms of how we actually ensure compliance going forward generally. So I'm making notes in the recommendation for persons from the Workstream to consider, because I think the answer has helped me for the SLA part of it. With the charts and references for the future challenge recommendation, as well. So I can't promise next week, but as soon as it's ready, I'll circulate it.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Thank you Kerry-Ann, particularly for doing this on your own, and one or two weeks I think is totally fine.

The next one is propagation delay and consistency of changes of some contents across name service. I have Eric and, joined by KC. Eric, can you give us an update on that one? Eric is typing. There is no progress on that one, so if you can go ahead connect when you can.

The next on is on IANA, this is Scott, who is not on the call, so no updates for that one. Identify key performance indicators or SSR measurements. Eric, I can see you're typing. I'm just standing by,

---

because Eric is also the lead for the KPR. Thank you, okay. So, a number of these -- oh no, Eric, this is what I was asking for. Okay, so there are draft recommendations in text form there for those two. Great, thanks Eric.

Section 5, name space abuse, transparency with respect to abuse. Norm you're in the lead for that, and Denise, KC are on that too. Can you give us a quick update where we are on that one?

NORM RITCHIE: No further update on that one.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay. So, it would be good if you can let us know next week or the week thereafter, essentially if anything has to happen on that one. The next one is reactive versus proactive compliance, this is Denise, Kerry-Ann, Norm, Eric, and myself. Denise, do you want to take a stab at where we stand with this one?

DENISE MICHEL: I'm sorry Laurin, I'm just on the phone, I'm not in Adobe. Can you repeat that?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay, this is reactive versus proactive compliance, as part of the name space abuse and this is essentially the anti-abuse stuff.

---

DENISE MICHEL:

Yeah, in Japan we had discussed addressing, bringing a few of these compliance-related ones together and having a discussion with ICANN Compliance, which we've been trading some emails on. So several of these progressed in conjunction with the other compliance items, and a discussion with Compliance is pending.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

This is Laurin again, thank you, Denise. As I'm also in the group this is essentially what it looks like, and the leadership with ICANN Compliance with respect to essentially the same issue, so we'll just gloss over that one. Domain names, with me and Danko helping, as both of them are not here, I can say that we have written maybe two draft recommendations on that one and we have reached out, that was KC actually, and they have done a lot of research into how this works and they were kind enough to share some information. But this is unlikely to completely change the recommendations.

Software interoperability is Section #6. Eric is in the lead, with me. Eric, do you want to comment on that one, or should I take it, because you're not on audio?

ERIC OSTERWELL:

No, I'm on audio, I've just been trying to save the pipes. But yeah, you and I had a good conversation at 64, and I took a bunch a notes that I haven't transcribed yet. So I think that's probably why my name is bolded on this one. So I'll transcribe those notes, and I can put forward to you sort of a suggestion of how we go forward in writing, and then we can iterate, if that's okay with you.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Perfect, Eric, that's great. The last one is the domain name checking. Here, Danko is our penholder, but unfortunately not here. Also, Denise, Norm, Eric, and Boban are on this one. Anyone can make any comments on that one, or should we wait until Danko is on the call?

DENISE MICHEL: Yeah, I think we should wait for Danko.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay, thank you Denise. Norm is just saying we need to construct and formalize questions with regard to compliance. I assume on this it is meant to relate to our call with ICANN Compliance, is that correct?

NORM RITCHIE: Yes, during the ICANN meeting we tried to take the opportunity to meet with Compliance, it didn't work. So the back and forth with emails, it appears we need to construct and formalize questions.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I'll take that as my action item and email everyone on that one, make sure we get something together, so that's already written down and I'll do that. Future challenges, so we're nearly done. We have the coalescence of registrars, registries, back end operators, multiple TLDs. Eric is holding the pen, helped by Denise, Norm, and Boban. Was there anything we can say about that one?

ERIC OSTERWELL: I'm sorry, where are we again?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: This is future challenges 0.1, coalescence of registrars, registries, back end operators, multiple TLDs.

ERIC OSTERWELL: Oh yeah, sorry, so I looked at the clarifications, or I think I looked at the clarifications, because I'm not seeing them in the questions doc, but I kind of pulled something up, and I definitely might have missed something, but it looked to me like we asked a couple questions and we got a back, 'we need you to clarify, what do you want to know' not sure what to do with that. There is an IEV statement out about coalescent, I think playing back and forth with questions with the staff is probably not going to be the best use of our time, so at this point if they don't have any more answers for us, then we can just write it based on prevailing winds in the operational community and the IEV.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay, thank you Eric. So, access to data and information research, I am responsible for that one according to the document, also Eric, Scott, Scott, Mr. Matogoro, and KC. I think this also relates to data sharing and data release to some extent. I know we had discussions about this one and there are draft recommendations that are informed by these discussions, but we still have something outstanding and I think we have

---

to sit down once a few other things are in, and kind of see how they can be combined and dealt with.

The next point is the new crypto systems in DNSSEC, and this is Eric, Russ who is not on the call, and the penholder Ram, myself. I am not sure where we stand on that one.

UNKNWON SPEAKER: I know they're discussing this right now at the IETF.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay, so that makes sense to kind of move on and cycle back to this one.

ERIC OSTERWELL: Yeah, that conversation ended at 5 am this morning, but they're discussing more broadly the KSK rollover, this is focused on the crypto systems. I think Russ asked if Elaine could do a pass at writing something about ECC. So trying to not speak for Russ, but trying to channel him remotely, I think that was the most notable outstanding item on this one that I recall.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes Eric, this is Laurin. Yes I remember he had a discussion about that. So Alain is you could check what Russ needed and cycle back to us, that would be great. The next one is uses for DNS, IOT. I can see you typing,

---

okay, noted, thank you very much. Uses for IOT, Kerry-Ann, you're the penholder. Where do we stand on that one?

KERRY-ANN BARRETT:

We haven't started. Future challenges, we're still trying to finalize some of the things above, even with the IOT and some of the work that I think Boban and Danko are doing in the Workstream, I think will impact on the IOT aspect, as well, but we haven't started yet, but I think once we're analyzing with that, a lot of us will be freed up to work on those, as well. Because I think there is are so many cross pollination of persons, it's now just kind of streamlined and then finishing up the ones that have begun, and then probably work on the ones that haven't started yet. So, just an observation.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Yes, thank you Kerry-Ann, absolutely. It's kind of the same thing with the data stuff. We probably have to wait on that. Also the naming systems, was Norm, myself, and Eric, who is holding the pen on this one. Eric?

ERIC OSTERWELL:

Yeah, there's a lot going on this that is sort of slightly eschewed to some stuff that I think we've talked about. So I was hoping to just put a pin it for about a week or two, to just sort of see if I can coalesce what's going on with a couple things research wise. But as it's future and alternate naming, there is an interesting nexus that may be forming that would make for some potentially impactful text.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay, perfect, thank you Eric. Root service and protection, this is Kerry-Ann, Eric, Norm, myself, and Narul. Narul is not on the call, we have one outstanding question and I think it's one of those where we're also kind of waiting on what else is coming out of previous discussions, if I'm not mistaken. If I am mistaken, please, someone else tell me I'm wrong. Eric is typing.

While Eric is typing, I'll speak to the privacy protections. This is Kerry-Ann, Eric, Norm, myself and Narul. Eric is holding the pen on that one. So I'll wait for him to finish his comments. Okay, so for the root service protection Eric is asking if Narul is aware of this. I am not sure about that. And Eric, if you're already typing, the privacy protections, I think also we're waiting for previous topics, is that correct?

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: This is Kerry. I think we've got a whole bunch of responses on the privacy bit of it that I found, because I was looking at that yesterday.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes, I think we got a lot of stuff back.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: We should be able to start looking at that soon and that wouldn't affect any other work. But we have quite a bit here, we should start.

---

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Thank you, Kerry-Ann. Eric, would you be so kind as the penholder to email Kerry-Ann, Norm, Narul, and myself on that one. And as Eric said, ask Staff if we could have an email to Narul, reminding him that he is in charge of the root services and protection. That would be great. Other than that, do we have any other points on the team update and drafting recommendations?

So from where I think we stand, it's that things are happening obviously after Kobe, some people have not been able to meet yet, and I think what we can say is just everyone kind of have a look at the ones where you're involved, check out what's going on so by next week we can go through this again and see, okay, this one we're waiting on something, this is what's going on, that would be great. Any comments on that one? If not, I would like to move on to any other business. Not hearing anything. Anyone for any other business? Okay, going once, going twice, I guess any other business is done.

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Thanks Laurin, this is Jennifer. So the two action items are Laurin to take the lead to coordinate with the group to analyze and formalize questions for the compliance item and [inaudible] volunteer for the future challenges topic on root service protection. Let me know if there is anything I missed or if anybody has anything else. Thank you.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

So, you didn't miss that one, Jennifer, but I think, but if you could, because a lot of people were not on the call, just send an email round to remind everyone to please check volunteer documents, see where they

---

are in bold, and check what's going on and provide an update at next week's call. That would be great, I think. And other than that, thank you everybody for attending, I thought this would be a short call, it wasn't in the end, so sorry for not keeping time back to your schedule. Have a great day everyone.

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Thanks everyone.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]