
YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ATLAS III Programme Working Group Call taking place on Monday, the 4th of March, 2019, at 18:00 UTC. On our call today we have Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Joanna Kulesza, Vanda Scartezini, Abdoalmonem Galila, Nadira Al-Araj, Hadia Elminiaw, Judith Hellerstein, Wale Bakare, Sarah Kiden, and Dave Kissoondoyal. Apologies, I also see that Lilian Ivette and De Luque Bruges is currently on our call.

We have received apologies from Glenn Mcknight, Carlton Samuels, Satish Babu, and from Maureen Hilyard. From Staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber, and myself, Yesim Nazlar present on today's call, and I will be also doing call management. Before we start, just a kind reminder, please, not to forget stating your name before speaking for transcription purposes. And now I would like to leave the floor back to you Olivier, thank you very much.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Yesim. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking and welcome to the Programme Working Group Call. The weekly call that we're having to update each other about what's going on in our subgroups. As you know, this program working group has three subgroups, one is the capacity building subgroup, one is the program subgroup, and one is the outcome subgroup, and some work has been taking place in each one of the groups for the past week. This is the last call before we meet, or many of us meet face to face in Kobe, but the group that is under great time pressure is the capacity building

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

subgroup, because things have to be done pretty soon and pretty quickly.

Now I am aware that a number of people are already traveling as we speak, so we've only got I think one of the two people in each one of those subgroups, and we've got 15 minutes for each one of the groups to go through what they've done, no need to go to such great details, but we definitely need to look at the big picture and if there are any choices, any decisions that this overall group needs to make, then this is the call where decisions need to be made. That's all as an introduction. So we can move swiftly on. Just asking if there are any additional items that anybody wishes to add to the agenda that we current have on the agenda list? I can see there is Carnival somewhere around the world, that's good.

So it's Olivier Crepin-Leblond, let's move on to capacity building. There was a call just an hour earlier where Joanna Kulesza chaired her first call and did very well, indeed, and so I'll turn over to Joanna for an update on what's going on and whether there are any concerns and questions regarding the work in that working group. Joanna Kulesza.

JOANNA KULESZA:

Thank you, Olivier. Just briefly, as you already mentioned, reporting on the overall outcome of the capacity building working group for ATLAS III, we have managed to select a number of courses, a few of them, six of them for all participants. Another group recommended a lot of work has been done by yourself, by Alfredo trying to make sure that the quality of the recordings that will be enabled at ICANN are satisfactory,

that goal is almost achieved in terms of the needs to have the materials that have been shared with ICANN Learn to be uploaded onto the platform.

In terms of selecting the courses and ensuring that they are up-to-date and that they have satisfactory quality, we have achieved that aim. What is left to do, as you know very well, because we just finished the call, we need to make sure that whatever ends up on ICANN Learn is of a high standard. We have set a deadline of March 22nd to make sure that happens. We hope to be able to interact with ICANN Learn team during the Kobe meeting and report back to the group on whatever progress is being made.

In that sense, we have completed the selection of courses, a lot of work has been done in terms of the technicalities, making sure that the recording, the courses, are available in multiple languages, and there is an assessment element to each of those. All of those materials have been shared, we are now waiting for them to be technically enabled through ICANN Learn and the next step is making sure that process is completed successfully. Once it is done, as I already preferably by March 22nd, we will allow a month starting on April 1st for the participants to go through all the courses.

We presume that the amount of work requested required from the participants willing to take the courses will amount to three or four days, hence giving them a month to complete the courses will likely not arouse too much outrage or protest on their behalf. So, that is our timeframe, that is the work that has been done, and that is also the challenge that it ahead, hoping to have a foolproof set of courses

available on ICANN Learn by March 22, to be enabled by April 1st.
Thank you. That is a brief recap from me. Over to you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Joanna, Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. I just realized our agenda was a little messed up. The one that was shared in the agenda page, it had lost all its numbers, for some reason. The big question that comes down to what you've been telling us here is the issue of the timeline. And Yesim thankfully has just put a diagram or a graph here on the page, that shows us the timeline for the final courses to be identified which was supposed to be the March 1st. And the application deadline being May 1st.

Now, this timeline, working backwards is not moveable. So now the block program and outcomes being ready, that needs to be the 1st of September, that's because of the printing time that is needed for this. The final participant list being published on June 14, 2019, is nonnegotiable. That's when ICANN travel needs to have the names of all the participants.

The application deadline being the 1st of May is not negotiable either, because it just leaves a month and 15 days for the team on the other side of our big working group to be making the selections of the people that will participate, and we can't expect them to go through dozens and dozens, maybe hundreds of applications within one weekend. They're going to have significant work to look through that. So, knowing this, and knowing that the participants need to have finished that set of

courses that you just provided here, the questions is how long do they need to do those courses?

When you're looking at your final set of courses to be ready, when do you want to launch the ICANN Learn, and as ready as in a curriculum, and I gather that this will be put in a curriculum on the ICANN Learn website, so you will just click on curriculum for At-Large Summit, click on that and you will get all the courses and the webinars, and all that stuff. And how long do you expect that people will take to take those, and how much is reasonable?

JOANNA KULESZA:

Thank you, Olivier. It's Joanna Kulesza speaking for the record. As I already indicated, we have the courses selected. So the March 1st deadline, or if you wish to look at it as the Monday deadline, so the courses have been selected, they have been prepared, and they have been shared with ICANN Learn. How quickly ICANN Learn can upload them or amend the questions is an open issue. We hope for them to handle as quickly as they can.

If, hypothetically, they were to do this within this week, then we could move forward in Kobe, trying to have the final set ready. We presume that might not be the case, as the meetings themselves are quite busy. With that agreed just an hour ago during the meeting for capacity building Atlas working group, we have suggested to give ourselves and the ICANN Learn team another week after everyone settles in coming from Kobe to make sure that is done.

With that, as I already said, we hope to have this internal deadline of March 22nd completed, giving us yet another week to have that folder that you mentioned ready. And then, as I already also said, we hope for the participants to be able to take the three or four days out of their busy schedules somewhere in April to complete that course. I hope that answers your questions, but I'm happy to reiterate if that is not the case. Over to you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Joanna, Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. So then the next question I have, and I see that the people are starting to put their hands up, the next question I have, just to be sure, is how many hours have you evaluated that course to total, to need in total? And I'm talking here about the ones that are mandatory for people to take in order to participate in that selection process?

JOANNA KULESZA: Well, that depends how quickly they respond to the questions or how much time they take to go through those. We estimated that to be roughly 20 hours, maybe a little less than that, depending on how quickly they move and how many of the recommended courses they choose to do. But that should not exceed 20 hours, with that it is presumed that those would be four working days of 5 hours, or if someone is really diligent, they can do it in three days. I hope that answers the question. Over to you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Joanna, for this. Let's open the floor and first we have Hadia Elminiawi.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you, Joanna. My question is to Joanna, and maybe you already said that, maybe I wasn't on line. How many courses are considered mandatory for applicants to take? I know you said that there are some recommended courses, but is there a minimum number of courses that are mandatory?

JOANNA KULESZA: Yes, Hadia, I'm happy to pick up that question. The answer to your question is six - six mandatory courses.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Joanna, six mandatory courses, plus the mandatory webinars? Or does that include the webinars to be followed?

JOANNA KULESZA: The webinars are suggested. So we have mandatory courses and suggested webinars.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Ah, okay. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. I thought it was that some of the webinars were mandatory as well, that's why I wasn't aware. Okay, let's continue. Next we have Abdalmonem Galila.

ABDALMONEM GALILA: Thank you, Joanna. Abdalmonem Galila from Egypt. What I want to see is ICANN is not responsible only for DNS but responsible also for protocols and members, so important to consider some courses related to IEF and some other courses related to RIRs, to make it one world and one internet for ICANN. Also there is another shared position, if I am lawyer, I am interested in some courses that are related to lawyers, if I am technical, there should be some courses with technicality courses.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you very much for this Abdalmonem. Joanna?

JOANNA KULESZA: Thank you very much Abdalmonem, that was a very constructive comment. We have focused on the core mission of ICANN, recommended specifically courses that we thought were fundamental. There is a working group behind us, it's not an ambiguous "we," there is a working group. I believe that the recruitment for that group is closed, but I believe that also to be representative, I'm happy to provide you with the details. So, we have selected courses...

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Oops, have we lost Joanna? We certainly have lost Joanna. Okay, let me just try and continue what Joanna was saying, because I was going to add to this. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. The courses which Joanna has listed, which are effectively the Introduction to ICANN, Domain Names Demystified, Introduction to the GNSO, On Boarding ccNSO, On Boarding Governmental Advisory Committee, and Cybersecurity Basics. These are courses which are already available on the ICANN Learn website.

I'm not sure, and please let me know, Abdalmonem, because I'm just playing from memory at the moment. I'm not sure that the courses that you suggested are already on the ICANN Learn website, and if they are not, then we need to either port them to the ICANN Learn website, if these already exist as a course, or if they don't exist as a course, then we need to create them. And unfortunately, time plays against us.

Now, that being said, we spoke here of the mandatory courses that were going to be used for the selection and then once the selection process has started, this group has several months to be able to design any other courses that it can then highly recommend to people coming to ATLAS III and effectively these will not be taken into account as part of the evaluation process to find out if you will travel or not, but they are highly recommended in order to do that. So that's the whole idea about these courses.

Joanna, you're back? I was explaining about these additional courses would have to be designed if they don't already exist on the ICANN Learn platform, and we haven't got time to design them in time for now,

but could be designed afterwards. I'm not sure whether that answered the question to Abdalmonem.

JOANNA KULESZA: That is true. Abdalmonem, did that answer your question?

ABDALMONEM GALILA: Yeah, thank you for your comments, but let me say something. The mandatory courses should be related to ICANN, for sure, but at the same time, maybe I am technical, and I want to have some overview as a learning course of ICANN environment. Maybe I am lawyer, I should have, at the same time, there is another comment that maybe there is a lack of awareness in Arab region, for example, so we should encourage the Arab people who are working with ICANN to make these learning courses with Arabic language. I think it is important for the capacity building. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Joanna?

JOANNA KULESZA: I'm happy to respond to that, yes. Well, thank you Abdalmonem, that is a wonderful declaration as an incoming capacity building working group culture, I take that as a declaration and the commitment to support our work, and we are very much looking forward to updating and broadening the scope of courses that are available with ICANN Learn that are up to date, that are accurate, and are of interest to the

community. So I encourage you to stay in touch and to help us build that repository that meets the needs of the entire community. I hope that is a worth reply to your suggestion, your comment. Thank you for that.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Joanna, it's Olivier speaking, and yeah, that's effectively saying please help us to build those courses, because I've just looked at the ICANN Learn website, and none of these courses exist. So there is probably some work to be done here, maybe as part of At-Large Summit, but also as part of the capacity building program working group. Let's go through the queue quickly now. We've got Judith Hellerstein next.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, hello, it's Judith Hellerstein for the record. I guess my question and I'm also echoing Sarah Kiden's question, is so you said there are six required classes, is that 20 hours for the six required ones and then additional hours for the other ones? I just wasn't clear on that. Thank you.

JOANNA KULESZA: So, it is six hours for the required ones and then we have a selection of recommended ones, of suggested ones, if you will, and we hope for those to live up to those 20 hours, depending on how eager and diligent our students will be. I hope that answers your question.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Next is Alfredo Calderon.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Thank you, and sorry I couldn't make the 12:00 meeting my time. I actually made it to this one a couple minutes ago. Since I haven't heard the previous conversation, I just want to echo or clarify what Abdalmonem commented. We all have to keep in mind that right now we're talking about the ATLAS III capacity building task that we had, which was to identify ICANN Learn courses and/or webinars that have been given already through At-Large to combine them in such a way that we have a curriculum that has some required or mandatory courses for people applying for ATLAS III and some form of getting familiar with some of the issues and the activities that have been going on within ALAC.

Having said that, your comments or your declaration is accurate and precise, and as Joanna mentioned, we'll keep it in mind, because after we finish this phase, we are actually going to look into broadening the scope of all the opportunities for everybody to get more involved in ALAC and there are some leadership skills that we have to work on also parallel to your comment, creating some courses or webinars where we get people from specific areas within our community involved in what's going on within ICANN and its various constituencies.

So yes, we have a lot of work in the upcoming months and probably years, but right now we just have to focus on ATLAS III as a matter of fact, and the At-Large capacity building group can work on some other issues. Just to clarify your comment. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Alfredo. Next is Abdalmonem Galila.

ABDALMONEM GALILA: This is Abdalmonem again. I am sorry for this large number of [inaudible] but now I would like to say that there should be some training courses for the most recent projects of ICANN, like [inaudible] project, like the EPDP project. I think it is important to encourage the community to involve with this project in this country. I think it is important.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this Abdalmonem. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Alfredo Calderon, you wish to respond to this?

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes, this is Alfredo Calderon for the record. Yes will consider that for some future webinar or courses that me might develop within the ICANN Learn platform. Again, keep in mind that right now we're talking about people that are already engaged in ICANN and At-Large so they are already familiar with basic concepts or basic issues. We just want to get people up to par towards the other webinars we're going to have,

developing leaderships, and right activities that are going to happen once we are face to face in Montreal for the Summit. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alfredo. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. And if could add, Abdalmonem, there is actually a webinar that will be there that will be an At-Large capacity building webinar, that will be put on the ICANN Learn platform, that is called Data Protection, What Do You Need To Know as End Users about GDPR? And that's got a whole presentation and so on in there. So I understand there are a couple of questions that will be asked at the end of that, so it's as good as an ICANN Learn course, as is it's got a full video with a full slide deck, et cetera, and then it's got a few questions afterwards. And it's in English, French, and Spanish. So that's one of the more recent things that are going on.

Now, when it comes down to compliance of the WHOIS registration data with GDPR model, we did not manage to get the proper recording for that, so unfortunately that's not going to be treated right away. And I wheelchair here Cheryl Langdon-Orr mentioning in the chat that ATLAS III is not for basic training, so one already needs to know a number of things are one moves forward. Okay, any other comments at the moment?

So, in general, let me just ask the question, then, are we all okay with the participants or the people flying to have one month to take those mandatory courses?

I'm not seeing anyone say that's too much or too little, so then we can proceed forward. I see an green tick from Cheryl, so effectively, 20 hours in total over a whole month. But it's 6 to 10 hours of study otherwise, and that's something that you can really share, you've already spent an hour here. This is, I think, quite a conservative estimate. I've gone through all of the courses, of course I know most of the answers, but I've gone through tem and they're very well built, so you don't really feel that it's something that it becomes tedious in any way. Okay, let's move on, I guess, anything else, by the way that we need to discuss today?

JOANNA KULESZA: Not from me.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: On this, on capacity building. Are there any other questions that you might have, Joanna and Alfredo?

JOANNA KULESZA: I think we're fine to resort to the working group. We would not, I would not want to take up any more time, since the many issues to discuss, and will stay in touch if any issues do come up. I'm happy to hear Alfredo's thoughts.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks very much, I see 'agreed' from Alfredo. Let's move to the next one, which is the program subgroup update. Now Glenn McKnight

is traveling already, so Vanda Scartezini is on the call. Last week we looked at the standing proposal for the Montreal Block schedule and we also had a number of listings for the ATLAS III topics. That group doesn't have that much of a tight schedule so, it's okay to just say that things are just moving on slowly.

One of the big things, of course, that will happen when we meet in Kobe is that Gisella will have a meeting with the meetings team and will be able to supply a better Montreal Block schedule. One that will be more accurate, that will fully reflect the room allocations that we will have. So, at present it's a little difficult to make any exact preparation for this. But, there are certainly some discussions with regards to the alternatives for the content and so on. And I'll hand the floor over to Vanda Scartezini. Vanda, you have the floor.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

What I think would be interesting for us is to have five big sections where we do discuss all the issues and then breakout sessions because I believe will be more difficult to a lot of more rooms available so if we want we can have the breakout sessions. Everyone together and we can divide the group into small groups to make extra five in each point of the session.

So, I believe this will also allow us to divide the tables, so the breakout, by language to facilitate the discussion, Arabic or French and Spanish and English so people can feel more comfortable and explore better each topic. So, that would be the general second-round idea. So, make only big sessions and break up sessions to give opportunity to exercise

and come out with something that we can analyze, and they can criticize in the main sessions in the end. So, that is the first thing.

The second is to have for our content. I believe we can find someone among us who talks about those skills and, during those sessions, so we cannot take money, an additional budget to get expense. And we need to find out if during this year, the 1st of September, to have a clear idea if we will have a budget for any [inaudible]. So, the issues that we believe that we will have to build the skills for leadership, I believe that a lot of us have something to help from that, be our previous work ambitions around the world.

So this that you can read the --are more general leader issues that with some kind of ICANN rival to even then, more interacting the ICANN issues during the exercise. So, getting the general idea so, what do we hope our other colleagues can add on, touch on, explain better, because we will need to prepare demonstrations for each session. And we need to have people to present themselves and to be the facilitator person during the break-out session and, also, the one that will help to make the presentation each one of those sessions.

So, maybe, even to make it more easy to find people we can have for each plenary session one, two or three people that we can share the presentation so to make it more interactive and more interesting for the people attending the session. So, for now those are our ideas and I hope to have some feedback from everyone and maybe more from the group that are interested in participating in that, but we are very open to have anyone comment on that.

For the second point, that was the timeline, and I personally am working on the [inaudible] near the timeline and send them back to the first of September for the end of the year. But I haven't done this, it's a lot of rain around here and in carnival it's also hard to find people working, so it's difficult. I haven't been getting internet during the weekends. So, today it's okay, it's working, but tomorrow, many more people around, the streets are full of people so, it's difficult to get all those things done at the same time.

So, anyway, I am also helping the LACRALO group for the stop for the selection and for the meeting for this night and I haven't finished the timeline. But I will not be attending Kobe, but I will certainly attend online the session if I [inaudible] we're going to talk about it in Kobe. So, from my side it's this today and I'm open for any questions. Thank you all.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much for this, Vanda, very helpful. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. And just as a bit of background for people who were not on our last call, version one of this proposal was actually a lot more complex with different workshops taking place in the different breakout rooms. And something that was a lot more complicated -- and this one that you are proposing here has the whole thing done by theme, so, with plenary sessions and then the workshops following on from these plenary sessions.

Let's open the floor. I see that Alfredo Calderon has put his hand up, so we'll start with Alfredo. And I know that in the meantime Cheryl

Langdon-Orr has mentioned in the chat that she's quite happy with the themed approach, and Cheryl is someone who has been through quite a number of ATLAS Summits, so we can take that into account. Let's go to Alfredo Calderon. Alfredo, you have the floor.

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Thank you. This is Alfredo Calderon for the record. I actually agree with Cheryl. These are excellent topics and they are structures. It's good too. I would probably shuffle the sequence, but that's something that we can work on later on. Now, I do have a question for you, Vanda. In terms of the Plenary Sessions, we're going to have -- I think it's two or three plenary sessions in the beginning, one at the end of the second or third day, and then one at the end of the fourth day.

Now, does that mean that during the first two or three Plenaries, these are highlight topics that are going to be covered in terms of the general idea and then the breakout sessions, will each one have a -- it will probably be four or five groups in the breakout sessions -- a facilitator that dominates, understands the whole topic so that he can serve as a guide throughout the discussion of the group? That's my first question.

My second question is: What's going to happen with the outcomes? Are there going to be daily reports? Are there going to be rapporteurs? And if they are rapporteurs, since you're recommending that they be divided by groups within the breakout sessions, does that mean that we'll have four or five different languages of rapporteurs working on the documents for the end of each one of the breakout sessions? Those are my two questions. Thank you.

VANDA SCARTEZINI

Okay. May I respond? Okay. So, Alfredo, the first question for me will depend mostly if the opportunity to have the rooms. So, we can reorganize the sessions to accommodate the rooms we have. In the breakout sessions we can have people working in those skills with some exercise that we will provide.

And then, it's my idea but I haven't heard from the others, my idea is to have, for each session, people divided by language and then they report in [inaudible] what is going on and how they could use this with the their RALOs sessions, their groups' insights when they are part of CCWG, those kinds of approach for the breakout session. And they can write also, for instance, topics and policy statements, because one of the sessions will cover these topics and then we expect, as a outcome, that each sub-group writes a small report for each of these sessions in their own language. We believe that this is a better exercise.

We'll also help for people to getting into the Google translator, each report so they can also understand the difficulties, people that have not English as a basic language, how the translation sometimes change completely the meaning of the sentence. It's quite interesting to develop a better skill in the behavior to be more focused on listening, on training their foreign accents with the others because of the difference of the way they approach some kind of issue or argument because of the cultural heritage they have. So, that is the main idea of that. And I believe that I responded you, Alfredo, if not, I am open for any questions. Thank you. Cheryl Landgon-Orr, I guess.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Cheryl Langdon-Orr is next, yes.

CHERYL LANDGON-ORR: I know that Alfredo raised his hand. If he has a follow-up I'm happy to hold until he's -- Cheryl Langdon-Orr, for the record. Thank you very much for mentioning soft skills because it is the soft skills that will make or break most leaders and thought leaders and influencers the ability for anyone to step up and contribute in a collaborative space. So, the soft skills definitely need to be developed. That said, can I just remind you all people, what we're trying to get is a group of people that can function in the global ICANN. Not in the regional context only.

So, you have to remember that whilst facilitating information exchange is important, we also probably need to force people out of their comfort zones with language. That's one of the reasons I'm well-known in the IDM world. Because I've been busy fighting for the ability for people to operate in scripts that work for them. But I also recognize that, however, policy in ICANN gets billed in English and that's just the way of it.

Policy in ICANN gets billed in English. It may change eventually but -- so, we want to make sure that the graduates, for want of a better term, coming out of ATLAS III are not just empowered, invigorated and enlivened to operate to the best of their ability as volunteers and contributors at the regional or local context -- obviously that's important -- but the real trick of the trade is getting them and those who they can encourage to come with them to operate in the global

ICANN. And that is not the navel-gazing that happens within EURALO. As fascinating as [inaudible] can be, it doesn't make policy in the GNSO or the ccNSO. It doesn't even make policy in the ASO. They're the policy organizations and entities. So, all of this is really important but let's not get into the trap of just trying to build so at-large flavored that we're building an ivory tower with less and less relevance to ICANN and risking the relevance of At-Large or ICANN. Thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Chery. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Before I give the floor to Vanda again, I note here that it does say here "Dividing by groups, maybe by languages" so, perhaps would it be worth considering that out of the four different break-out sessions that we see here, maybe five, maybe we could be looking at not having the same groups every time. So, in some cases it might divide by language and in some cases, it doesn't divide by language and, at that point it puts people in the deep end.

I have a thought regarding the policy development. I know it said only out of the five plenaries only one deals fully with policy development and that's -- it's a concern that I do have. Cheryl mentioned -- building community consensus, how to organize agenda and plan meetings and things like that is great. Running EURALO is great, but policy development might benefit from being revisited.

So, maybe something in the early part of the meeting, plenary, or part of the plenary in the early part of the meeting and then another plenary at the end, or something with an exercise in the middle and the four

breakout groups would each need to write a statement together within the time that they're given, and then the next plenary they can read that statement to each other. So, it needs to be like 100-word statement or something that they can then read to each other. You know? This sort of practical stuff.

And then finally, the other concern -- I did see that Alfredo has put his hand up but his hand went down. I don't know whether that was -- whether you wanted to put your hand down or not. The next question I had was actually towards Heidi. Because I know that we have a budget request for ATLAS III and I didn't know whether looking at the types of topics we're seeing here, one, there are resources for facilitators within ICANN, two, take us through these professional facilitators, I'm thinking of David Colp for example, or two, whether one needs to bring in external facilitators or build something from scratch. I'm not quite sure how to say this. Heidi, I don't know whether you've got an idea on that or not.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

So, David Colp's expenses are already covered by the normal budget of the ATLAS, so that is set aside within from ICANN org. The additional budget requirement for --

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Heidi, I think you might be breaking up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, David Colp is sorted. He's going to be there two days. Probably Monday and Tuesday, I believe. Now, the additional budget request for the training will be known in the next several months by May. And that is going to consist of about four At-Large community trainers who --

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: You're breaking up again. Your mobile phone probably, my guess. So we understand, four community training. Have we lost Heidi altogether?

YESIM NAZLAR: Sorry, just checking with Adigo if she's still on the bridge or not.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: [CROSSTALK] In the meantime, while Heidi is dialing in, are there any comments or questions from anyone here?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks, Olivier. Cheryl Langdon-Orr, for the record. I talked earlier on reporting and everything else and reporting back, and I'd like to encourage you to take the "less is more" approach on all of this because that's also a realistic way that people work in ICANN. There are many more hours done on people being expected to read up what is going on in their additional spare time by going through a Google Doc or whatever to see what comments are made etcetera, etcetera.

And so, taking large blocks of time for caring and sharing that from breakout sessions is perhaps not the smartest use of the small amount of time we have. Especially if by the fourth group back reporting, you're hearing verbatim what you heard with the first. Perhaps getting all of those breakout sessions to within themselves share in a collaborative space and us to read it all over the following morning's breakfast, coffee and tea, might be another clever way of doing it. But I'm not obviously wedded to that, I'm just going to strongly encourage you to consider it. The other thing is of course that outcomes are not supposed to be, "And here are statements on all of these things." This is not a statement-driven or final document producing exercise. This is a stepping up to leadership exercise.

And so, the outcomes can be reported in a very different way as well and not necessarily at the same time as ATLAS even runs. That could happen quite separately to ATLAS with other forms of reporting. The final thing I wanted to say on reporting is with the significant cost of ATLAS it's going to be important to recognize that people will be observing us all closely, so we must all clearly seem to be productive, but that can be measured in a number of ways and you need to think carefully about how you're going measure that and how you're going to show that.

I guess the final thing is when we talk about bringing in expertise it's always very valuable -- and this is why I like the themed approach -- to be able to build on what people have taken away from experts like David Kolbe by doing some real-world examples and that's the type of stuff that I believe Vanda and Glenn are talking about with their breakout sessions. So, I think that's a very smart way forward. But also,

do not forget possibilities for role-play. Role-play is also a very useful learning tool because you can also then throw some of the curve-balls that come in, which don't necessarily happen in normal and collaborative systems. Thank you and Heidi's back before Judith [inaudible].

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Cheryl. Olivia Crepin-Leblond speaking. I'm mindful of the time. So, let me close the queue after Nadira. And, let's have Heidi, Judith and Nadira. So Heidi, for your intervention, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. I'm sorry for the technical issues, I'll make it brief. So again, two sessions, one is the David Colp facilitation skills, Monday and Tuesday of ATLAS so the expenses that are paid for through the normal budget. So that's confirmed. The other one is -- I've just put the link in -- that is an additional budget request for a series of writing sessions. Again, trainers would be four people from the At-Large community. They would be using ICANN Learn during the summer and have one or two face-to-café sessions during ATLAS. So, those will need to be taken into account. I think, from what I've seen in these five sessions it could very well be part of that. But I do urge all of you to coordinate, make sure that we are all aware of which facilitators are confirmed, etcetera, so we do not have to duplicate our efforts. Thank you so much.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Heidi. Next is Judith Hellerstein.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. Just so everyone knows, Glenn [inaudible] and we're going to have note takers. So, each of the breakouts like we've been doing in the NARALO General Assembly, like we did at [inaudible] one, we're going to have a note-taker assigned to each session who will post in a collaborative document the notes and the key takeaways from each session and that will help others read and update on the sessions that they were not at.

And I think also my other question on that is I think if we don't have the language support is maybe we could get captioning of the sessions so that people more quickly pick up on some of the complicated terms or other terms that are happening so, that way, they better increase their comprehension and engagement.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Judith. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. We'll keep this in mind. And let's have now Nadira Al-Araj and then I really need to shift through the outcome sub-group update. So, Nadira? You have the floor.

NADIRA AL-ARAJ: Thank you, all of you. This is Nadira for the record. I want to ask, are we having the 15 minutes or are we closing now? Because I want to know how to approach my briefing.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Nadira, if you could do it in five that would be super helpful. I'm sorry. It's my fault. I didn't check the time, but we had such a good update from the other two groups. So, if you can concentrate this in about a five minute update, that should be great.

NADIRA AL-ARAJ: Even less in fact. I want to start from the end because I already-- from the earlier discussion, which Judith, Heidi and Vanda they mentioned about the reporting. Because also at the outcome the group has also started having session reporting and it's good also to work together on this because the way we are perceived -- the way Judith mentioned that we have to have in those settings -- and our suggestion we are having for each session or for each breakout, we are thinking to have three types of reporting.

One as a note-taker or maybe reporting on the content of the session, another -- it's important also what's this ATLAS going to be in the future, so we are talking about having for each session another person who will be kind of observing the action item could be followed after. And there is a third person will be thinking about -- like finding a way how to get a feedback about the session itself and how it could be conducted in the future in a better way. So, for each session, for each breakout, there is the three-reporting coming and there's a consolidating group will also report for the full day. That's what will be included in the full report.

So, this form, which is displayed for you, I linked it, it's not discussed yet at the committee level, we will be doing that after the Kobe because there's a lot of discussion. I can see a lot of coordination needing to be

done. But what I think about the framework we are working with -- we have divided the report -- it's not a report, in a way we will be reporting from now.

In fact, Joanna mentioned that it will be her group responsibility to capture about the number of attendees and the number of courses that were offered, how many finished, who enrolled also. I don't want to go into the details of this, but I propose another spreadsheet, which also captures all this data, also it will help about how to organize who will do this at the talk. And still, there is all this together and I think it will not be good to go further because I will make you at a loss in trying to explain further. Is that enough, Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, Nadira, thank you. It's the first I see of this report. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. So, I've looked through it. I hope that the page is unsynced for everybody to be able to look through them. It looks exciting. I understand there will not be an ATLAS III declaration, as such. But certainly, this goes to some lengths of how much reporting will be required. And reporting is particularly important. That's really the main outcome of what is going on in there. The floor is open. Are there any questions to you from anyone?

NADIRA AL-ARAJ: This is me again. I forgot to mention. I added beyond the discussion with you because if you help us with our work in group then you help us in other meetings to understand the scope of our work. And I also spoke with Glenn about the social media, which wasn't really included

in our talk. I found it in the session it was proposed by the program committee, which is also important to have this because we want to think beyond the post-ATLAS to see what is the effect about that.

The social media, we also need to work with the outreach committee, which, I know, they are not part of the preparation of ATLAS. But they are part of the community and we need their help also, as well because it's teamwork. That's it -- and also the final reporting, I think we need at least one year -- if logging can happen, if there is some implementation of the finding or not. All this will be put together. Thank you. Back to you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank so much, Nadira. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Next is Cheryl Langdon-Orr.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks, Olivier. Just very briefly can I ask Nadira -- this report is for who? Who is the audience to this report? Where does this report go? Reside? Who's reading it?

NADIRA AL-ARAJ: The report will be for general. For each item there is a talk for each person. But the report, it's for the general computing -- because it will be published on the website and, part of it maybe -- Good question, I think, Cheryl. Because I --

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It's a question I'd like you all to ponder because what we have here is a very attractive, very marketable hard copy of a wikispace. I'm just saying, you give away a business card with a URL to the wikipage. Think about it.

NADIRA AL-ARAJ: Yes. In fact this is what we will be doing, especially when capturing I need to, especially for the ATLAS participants, I want to have what they have for qualifications before, during the meeting what they did also, I want them to do a "What they achieved afterwards", and we could see the difference -- also, this is another thing, another wiki which we didn't work on creating these pages. Yes, thank you, Cheryl.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Nadira, there's some work needed. It's Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. I was just going to add maybe one more thing that could be needed on there is to see what people were like before and after. As in before I used to understand a little bit about At-Large and after I learned so much, and now I'm sharing three groups. This sort of thing. Anyway, we're still in early days. It's very encouraging. So, thanks for this update and I think we're 12 minutes beyond the official end of time for today's call. We're way overtime but I have to open AOB. Any other business?

I'm not seeing any AOB. So, I would like to thank all of you for having brought us those updates. Great work so far. There is, of course, quite a lot of work to come up. It's only the beginning but, we'll follow up with those people who are in Kobe. We might follow up informally. I

know that at least the capacity building group might have an informal meeting to try and see how things are doing and coordinate, because that's really the critical track that we have now. For the others then, we will have our next meetings after Kobe.

Usually we don't have a call in the week immediately after an ICANN meeting because everyone is so exhausted. But we'll try and look for some calls maybe two weeks after Kobe or maybe even three weeks after Kobe just for us to be able to catch up and also for progress to have warranted another meeting such as this one. Everybody, for those people traveling, have safe travels. For everyone else, see you on the internet. Have a very good morning, evening or night. Goodbye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]