
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening everyone. Welcome to the LACRALO Working Group Call on Monday, February the 25th at 23:00 UTC.

On the Spanish channel, we have Sergio Salinas Porto, Harold Arcos, José Francisco Arce, Adrian Carballo, Hanan Khatib, Antonio Medina Gomez, Carlos Leal, and Alberto Soto.

Apologies have been sent by Olga Cavalli.

From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco and myself, Claudia Ruiz. Our interpreters today are Veronica and Paula.

Before beginning, I would like to remind you all to state your name before speaking for the transcription and for the interpretations. And with that, I would like to give the floor to the Chair of the group. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Claudia. We will now proceed to the approval of the agenda and for that, I'm going to give the floor to Harold. But before that, I would like to say that Vanda Scartezini has sent her apologies. She is not going to participate because she has some personal issues. So Harold, without further ado, you have the floor. Please go ahead.

HAROLD ARCOS: Thank you very much, Sergio. As per the agenda of today, in the AC room, we have this special call. This is a 90-minute call. We will talk

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

about the LACRALO Working Group activities. So the first item on the agenda is the welcome, and of course, the approval of the agenda. Then we are going to share the objective of each working group within LACRALO. After that, we are going to discuss the proposed methodologies and the comments by the participants.

After that, we will be sharing the objective of the working groups, and for that, we will have the representatives of the working groups taking the floor. We have six working groups. We have the Domain Name Working Group, the [inaudible] Working Group, the Communication, IDN, Capacity Building, and finally, we have the Governance Working Group.

Additionally, we will be sharing the [inaudible] reviews and then we will discuss the next steps for the working groups for this agenda and for the mailing list. So that would be the agenda proposed for today. That's all, Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Harold. So now I'm going to give a couple of seconds to adopt this agenda. If you will agree and if there are no objections, we will begin with the call right now. And just checking the Adobe Connect, I see no hands up. Is there any comment, anything that you would like to add to this agenda?

Well, I see there are no comments, so if that is the case, I'm going to begin with the agenda of today. The first item after the approval is the objective of working groups within LACRALO.

So for this, I'm going to take five minutes and let me tell you how these working groups were created and what is the way forward. The working groups are the result of two issues that were discussed through our time in LACRALO, taking into account the different debates that took place in the mediation of process that we had in the past and then we were participating.

So based on that, we found a tool so as to be able to work within LACRALO and this tool is the creation of different phases of multi-leadership and there was a new institution being created and approved by the region in the operating principles and this is the LACRALO Board. So based on that, we determined the creation or we created different working groups with specific objectives.

The first objective is to add participants from our region to think about policies at the regional level and policies discussed at ICANN, and secondly, to actively participate in ALAC or in any of the cross-communities that we have at ICANN. And to do that, our space of belonging is LACRALO, and therefore, the creation of this working group has the objective.

First, on one hand, to have members, ALS members and participants or individual members, to participate from different spaces and from different perspectives so that they can provide their own opinions and so that they can participate in working groups. The idea is that they provide their feedback with the Latin American and the Caribbean mindset due to the impact that the ICANN-related issues have on the regions. You know each region has a different impact and issues. ICANN-

related issues have a different impact on the different regions due to culture, tradition, etc.

That's why we are focusing on this activity because we want working groups, but the intention is that these working groups do have active participation within ALAC. That is to say we have to take the voice of the Latin America and the Caribbean users to ALAC and for that, in order to serve this purpose, the directors, the [inaudible] is working with will have the task and the need to work together and to work altogether in different, on certain policies.

First, we were discussing some policies that were related to the GNSO, the Work Track 5, 4, 3, and 1, and on the other hand, we also saw the need of working on the IDN issue and this has to do with the internationalization of domain names. Of course, we know that there is a possibility of Internet domain names to be more inclusive and to be translated into other scripts and languages, perhaps with languages of different origins and representing different cultures. The other one had to do with WHOIS and the GDPR.

As you know, these are hot topics within ICANN and there are three transversal working groups, or cross-community working groups. We have the Communications and the Capacity Building Working Group, and we have also the Governance Working Group. They cover the whole LACRALO region.

They, of course, will take care of the functioning of the Capacity Building, Communications and Governance. So after having said this and after taking four minutes of my speech, what we will do is this. I'm going

to give you the floor so that the working group representatives may speak.

We are all together because this is our first meeting, but in the future, we will have separate meetings for the working groups. They will meet every two months and each of the directors will explain the working methodology. Of course, they will have teleconferences and a mailing list, and of course, this has to be closely related to the metrics issue. Of course, we need to be able to measure all this work that is going to be carried out in the region.

So with this, I'm going to start talking or giving the floor to the first working group representative. Perhaps, Adrian you may take the floor right now.

HAROLD ARCOS:

Thank you, Sergio. Well, the first working group belongs to Vanda. Vanda was not able to participate on this call but we see the only details of this working group and there are some representatives, but the idea is for directors to express, to talk about the objectives of their working groups and to enrich the objectives and speak about the response or the expected response.

For example, we have Gilberto Lara. He's only connected to the, through his mobile phone so perhaps we can give the floor to Carlos Leal first and then Marcelo Teléz if he is online. These are the two people who would be with us together with Vanda Scartezini because they are representing the IDN, the WHOIS and the Domain Name

Working Group. So Carlos or Marcello, you have the floor. Please go ahead.

I see Carlos requesting the floor.

CARLOS LEAL: Can you hear me okay?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, we can hear you okay. Please go ahead.

CARLOS LEAL: Okay, great. It's a pleasure for me to be here speaking. It's a pleasure for me to be here sharing this information with you. I have sent Harold a presentation, so, perhaps you can upload that presentation on the screen.

Excuse me.

Okay. No problem, Harold. So I would like to introduce the objectives of this working group. This is the WHOIS and GDPR-related working group, so I'm going to read the objective. The objective is to carry out a follow-up of the different topics and debates that take place in the ICANN Policy Development Process, and of course, in the debates related to data protection.

So for those who are not aware of this topic, this has to do with the data that are being shared or published in the WHOIS. If we take the example of any WHOIS service, we will see that we have access to all the

information, for example, domain name, telephone number, e-mail address, and also the postal address. So due to the European Union regulation, we are now trying to find a way to protect this information for this information not to be publicly available. So this working group will focus on this topic. And the idea is to find a balance in relation to the information that is going to be shared. So if someone, for example, requests that that information, they will have to decide if that information and if those data are to be provided or not.

Of course, this has to do with the creation of spam and with the creation of certain web pages, fake news, etc. So for the time being, this working group is composed by myself, Carlos Leal, Harold Arcos, and there are three other members, Alejandro Pisanty, José Francisco Arce, and [Alberto] Aguilar. We have created a kind of timeline to develop our activities, and I would like to ask you if you have any comment or any questions regarding our objectives or if there is any feedback that you would like to provide.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Harold is asking for the floor. Can we give him the floor?

CARLOS LEAL: Yes, of course.

HAROLD ARCOS: Thank you, Carlos. This is a crucial topic. Have you considered building some position on behalf of LACRALO considering this schedule? Have

you thought about consulting with the LACRALO participants in this group to try to put together an opinion from LACRALO?

CARLOS LEAL:

Thank you, Harold, for your question. In fact, we've been working for two months. We created the working group. We still have an open call for those who want to join us in the group. We have set up a Wiki page. We have created the mailing list and we have set the objectives. So I think that we need to engage in two activities. The first one is to create a table comparing the situation right now around WHOIS to see if some problems have been made, to have a snapshot of the current situation, the current state of affairs with WHOIS.

And based on that table, we can generate an official opinion from LACRALO. I don't know if I'm answering your question, Harold.

HAROLD ARCOS:

Yes, thank you. So I'll be following up with you in order to join your group.

CARLOS LEAL:

I also see Alberto is asking for the floor. Go ahead.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Thank you. Carlos. Congratulations. I think this is the first time that I see that a group starts making progress so fast.

I have a suggestion, Sergio and Carlos, for all working groups and I'm already raising this suggestion also within the ALAC. And that is to take

into account four critical elements. In order to have the right amount of work, each group should have clearly defined objectives. Secondly, to define the scope so as not to go beyond the limit of that group and then look at the deliverables and also the methodology. So in that way, you can have the right process to work the right amount, to do the right amount of work.

Can I go on?

CARLOS LEAL: Yes. Go ahead, Alberto.

We have lost Alberto's audio.

ALBERTO SOTO: Can you hear me?

CARLOS LEAL: Yes, Alberto. Go ahead.

ALBERTO SOTO: The ALAC has two representatives who within the GNSO/GDPR group. I can put you in contact with Hadia Elminiawi who is one of the two ALAC representatives in that group. She has broad knowledge and she can give you a clear idea of the current state of affairs. There is a document that is about to be adopted right now, so if you want I can introduce Carlos to Hadia if that is okay with you.

CARLOS LEAL: Yes, Alberto. Thank you for that proposal. We have a representative who can give us a good overview. That would be really useful, so thank you in advance for that.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I'm raising my hand. Can I take the floor, Carlos?

CARLOS LEAL: Yes. Go ahead, Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I just wanted to say and I want this to be on the record that each working group has its own place in the Wiki page. Each group has a set of objectives defined. You can broaden them. You can narrow them. But all of the proposed objectives for those working groups, so I invite you all to look at those objections. And if you are directly involved with the working group, please make sure that you consider whether you are going to expand or to narrow down those objectives. Thank you.

CARLOS LEAL: Thank you, Sergio. I don't know if there are any further comments, but in closing, I would like to say that we have quite a good definition of the scope of our working group. We already have a schedule and in terms of the deliverables, we have to look at the objectives because in the region, if we have this representative, we can have a good channel to

establish good communication. So it is very important to know that we have [inaudible]. That's fine and that we can count on them for the work of these groups.

Thank you. Are there any further comments? Otherwise, I will give the floor to the next speaker.

SERGIO SALNIAS PORTO: If Carlos has finished with his comment, now we would have to give the floor to Marcelo Teléz. I don't know whether he is in the call right now. So that he can proceed with his own presentation. Marcelo, are you there? Are you connected? Go ahead, Marcelo.

MARCELO TELÉZ: Good evening. I apologize. I had some difficulties to join the call. I was unable to connect to the AC room. I'm only on the bridge. As regarding the IDN and Multilingualism Group, I just wanted to say the following. LACRALO is focused attention significantly on this aspect because there are many languages.

In AFRALO, they are doing the same because they have many languages. And our languages are not as visible as those in the African continent so now we are trying to focus our attention on this issue in order to give the possibility of accessing the Internet to many more people. We want to make sure that IDNs are truly accessible.

On February the 21st, that day there was a ... The mother tongue was celebrated. It is a day set by the United Nations. If you do not convey, if you do not transmit and transfer your mother tongue, then it dies

eventually. So we run the risk of leaving many cultural groups outside of the Internet if we don't take into account their languages. So in our working group, we want to adopt three approaches. First, in the next 15 to 20 days, we want to have a sort of understanding of the situation within the ALSes in the region.

Look at this paradox. Last night, the Oscars ceremony took place and in Roma, the main, the woman in the leading role is a person that belongs to an indigenous community and she had a central role in that film so we focused a lot on the importance of integrating her, but we don't pay attention, oftentimes, in the region to the language and there are a large number of people who speak that language. So we want to take AFRALO as immortal and work with all of the ALSes in the region. The ALSes in AFRALO started by having a more acute view of all the people who were excluded because they could not interact with other languages and with the IDNs.

So by getting to know the problem and with a survey, we can put together a work plan to give visibility to something that is not so visible in our continent as it may be in other continents. In other places around the world, progress has been made in this direction so we need to follow those steps. So once again, I think that we need to take AFRALO as an example, the work that they did in terms of multilingualism and IDNs.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Marcelo. I don't know whether we have any questions. Harold?

Harold, you are not in a ... [Harold] and I can help her, Marcelo know who wants to ask a question because he is not in AC.

HAROLD ARCOS:

Thank you, Sergio. Thank you, Marcelo. As the secretary of these working groups, it is very important to place information in the chat room and also in the mailing list, but Silvia is now adding the links to these working groups in the chat window now.

In the Multilingualism group, we have to consider a proposal based on a suggestion from a colleague from Bolivia. The [IMATA] group and the ALS Technical Group, [inaudible], have done some tests and turn out as from Venezuela and [Lily] and from Columbia have been engaged in this exercise together with Marcelo who contributed with some research in this arena. So we have put forward a proposal for localizing some apps so we can take the experience of the Technical [IMATA] Group. They have placed that experience and they have done some localizing work in order to turn that information into something accessible in the [IMATA] language.

In this way, we can narrow down the digital divide and we can expand knowledge in these areas. So in our group on multilingualism, we had invited, we had encouraged ALSes to join this project.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Marcelo. I have a question. As I said earlier in my introductory remarks, the working groups are going to hold conference calls every two months. They will have the mailing list available to them

to discuss the different topics online. The suggestion for working group directors is that you should find out whether there are any cross-community working groups or ALAC, or working over there on the topic of IDNs. And if you interact with them, you can benefit from that and you can also share the experience of this community. So this is my recommendation: do some research and try to link where the added groups working within ICANN so that you can have different input and contributions to the work that is being done also somewhere else.

MARCELO TÉLEZ:

I take note of the recommendations made by both of you, Harold and Sergio. I'm going to look for the contact details to remove, getting contact with the [IMATA] people and also, I'm going to look into other possibilities for interaction with a group from Paraguay for whom that is working on what are any other native languages that are outside the Internet community?

So once again, we can follow the example of AFRALO. We can use that approach and use that experience to interconnect the ALSes. So first, I think that we need to include all ALSes in the region. Although our colleagues in Bolivia are already working. Perhaps there are others who are also facing these problems and they are not involved yet.

So I take note of your recommendation and as [recounsel], our next meeting, I think that we need to have a deeper understanding of the current problem and we need to look at the technological elements and we need to start using that mailing list and also find out from other channels of communication with ALAC groups or groups in other parts

of the community so that in the next meeting, we are ready to present a work plan for the Multilingualism and Ideas Working Group.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Marcelo. I think now we need to give the floor to Lilian, right? Or Adrian?

HAROLD ARCOS: You know Vanda is not here. We had already spoken about Carlos and Marcelo's groups so we now have Lilian's and Adrian's group. These are Communications and the Capacity Building Working Group. So who would like to take the floor first?

So I see, thank you Claudia for sharing the presentation. This presentation is going to be posted on the agenda. This will be posted for your information. The idea is for the Board to have this information available now. We will give the floor to Lilian. So please, Lilian, go ahead.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE: Good afternoon or good evening. Can you please upload my presentation? It is already available on the screen.

HAROLD ARCOS: Yes, it is already available. We will now wait for the screen to change. You know this is the Adobe Connect and while we wait for the Adobe Connect to upload the presentation, we are going to update and

present the mailing list of each of the working groups so as to be able to circulate these items, and of course, we need to take into account communication because apparently not all the working group members are aware of the information so the idea is to have an effective communication.

There you see your presentation uploaded, Lilian, so please go ahead.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE:

Okay, so once again, good evening. The Communications Working Group, as it is stated on the slide, is working to develop or keep and strengthen the initiative for improving our communication in the region and to participate in information strategies in the ICANN global ecosystem in order to contribute to the knowledge on the Internet governance in the region.

Last week, I circulated an e-mail through the mailing list sharing some of the activities that we are going to perform. The idea was to receive feedback from you, so this is for all members to be able to participate. The idea is to exchange ideas and feedback. Next slide, please.

Can you please show the Gantt Chart? Taking into account the strategy and the initiatives that we discussed on our previous call, we see this Gantt Chart. We have some small actions that will be implemented in March. We are starting in February. Of course, we have some activities. For example, activating the mailing list, adding members, inviting members to the mailing list. Please Harold, can you scroll down my presentation? Okay, there we go.

So we have very specific activities. It is important to mention that these activities might be modified. Sorry, but you need to scroll down, Harold.

So these activities might be set by the activities in our meetings. We need to take into account the Kobe meeting. There are many of you who are willing and eager to attend the meeting. So we have, first of all, we have intercommunications or [Inbridge]. This is going to be carried out in LACRALO. We have different communication channels, for example, the WhatsApp channel and this is the channel that we have activated in our communications, and of course, the mailing list. Outreach through the ALSes. We need to send that information to circulate that information to the ALSes for these ALSes to spread this information among their members.

And then we have a second part, and this is social media management. I believe this is a key point. So once we finish the Kobe meeting, we are going to recover the Facebook and Instagram accounts so as to be able to interact with many members because you know the Facebook page is already active. The Twitter account is created, but it's not active and sometimes we have events that are being published on Instagram but we need to formalize that communication. So we are going to do that in April and May. Of course, it is always better to do more than this, so then we will be creating a web page.

As you know, this takes time because we need to design the web page. We need to take care of the information that is going to be uploaded, so that is going to be carried out in June and through October. This is an activity for the medium term. That's why the timeline is June and October. Of course, this might take longer or less time.

Then we have to create a newsletter to circulate among ALSes. This is something very important. I indicated the starting time in April and the end time, December, because the idea is to discuss with the group about the frequency of this newsletter. Then the working group, the Social Media Working Group representative is going to report on the topics at rest during the call so as to be able to coordinate actions with other working groups.

Then we need to cooperate with the Capacity Building Working Group, which is led by Adrian, because we are going to discuss some capacity building issues, so we have to work throughout the whole year. According every single, of course, we depend on the frequency of meetings.

The other activity is the publication of activities of the different ALSes in the regions. Of course, we need to learn about the ALS activities. We need to publish information for people to learn about that. It is very important to learn about the activities carried out in the different regions. So basically, this is the schedule or the Gantt Chart being proposed. I don't know if this is going to be uploaded to the Wiki page, or perhaps, you are going to circulate this among the working group members. I would like to ask the working groups members to provide feedback. I urge you to provide feedback because this is of vital importance for us.

The idea is not to overlap with the activities, but to work together with other working groups, with the ALAC Working Group, and to have communication and information flow which should be an ongoing flow.

So basically, this is what we have agreed upon to start working. Is there any comment or any question?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I am raising my hand, Lilian.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE: Please Sergio, go ahead.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Lilian. As you said before, I love having this chart to clearly see the planning. I hope all working groups be able to follow this chart because this will be very beneficial for the metrics.

I would like to propose the following. The working groups should work on tactics and strategies. Perhaps, in the long-term, we can take a period of two years and the tactics is what you have already shown [that].

On the other hand, and this is question for you, I have the impression that sometimes communication is considered to be a responsible of the working group members, of the Communication Working Group members. But this is a responsibility for all of us. So my question is if you are thinking of working on a training for the whole region, taking into account the need to manage tools so as to be able to facilitate your activities and your tasks? Thank you.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE: Thank you, Sergio. Thank you for your feedback.

I am in touch with Adrian because we need to agree on the training that is needed or suitable for our working group. We are going to discuss that with Adrian. I believe that we need to have a small meeting, the two of us, and then we will communicate our decisions to the working group members. Perhaps, we might need this during this week and depending on the result of that meeting, I asked Adrian to schedule the agenda according to his personal agenda. So once he is ready, we will meet because we want to start organizing the work, the joint work.

Is there any comment? Alberto, I would like to hear your voice.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I see Harold.

ALBERTO SOTO: Harold is first.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE: Okay, Harold, you have the floor. Please go ahead.

HAROLD ARCOS: Thank you, Lilian. I would like to add the following. Regarding the web page, we already have a domain name available. This is a step forward that also already materialized for the organization, the regional organization web pages. So this is something very important to take into account.

And, on the other hand, I believe that the Communications Working Group is composed by many talented people. We have people with a communication background, and of course, we are going to work on this initiative and on facilitation tools in order to provide tools for the community.

And of course, Lilian, I would like to thank you for your presentation and for your intent to be part of this working group together with the Capacity Building Working Group because, as you know, this is part of the work being carried out by ALAC and they are working on the importance of outreach and engagement and how we can work, and how we can improve communications and the capacity building processes. So thank you, Lilian, for your feedback and your support.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE:

Thank you, Harold. Thank you for your comment. It is really ... This item is very important. I mean the participation of experienced members, it is of vital importance for our working group as you said before, and I also believe that the Communications Working Group is a cross-community working group. The idea is to work with all the groups so that all the activities being carried out by the working groups within LACRALO be a unified process because we need to communicate and to inform the community our activities. So that's why our working group is a cross-community working group. And of course, we are going to feed from other working groups.

Okay, Alberto, now you have the floor.

ALBERTO SOTO: Congratulations, Lilian, for your excellent work. Let me tell you something. John Laprise is in charge of the Social Media Working Group at ALAC, so perhaps, you can talk to him. You can contact him because he has, I believe he has some tools or some tool developed, so perhaps you can talk and see what you can take from that working group.

And secondly, Daniel [Nangaka] and I are Co-Chairs of the At-Large Review Implementation Working Group and we focus on something important, which is engagement. So I will be in touch with you and I will keep you posted about the information that we share so that you can add that information to your working group.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE: Thank you very much, Alberto and Sergio, for your comments. As I said, before, I am also participating in the Social Media Working Group. I am the volunteer member representing LACRALO.

Of course, I'm going to talk to John to see if we can support each other. I know they're working on different tools to communicate among themselves so I believe this is really important, and of course, thank you, Alberto, for your comment. Thank you because any contribution from you is going to be welcomed. We are ready to work together and to support you because these activities are really important at an ALAC level, so thank you again, Alberto, for your support and your comments.

Okay. So I don't see any other comments, so with this, I end with my presentation and now we will continue with the following working group. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Lilian, for your contribution. We are really happy to see you working in LACRALO.

Now it's the turn of Adrian Carballo, so I would like to welcome him. He is the Capacity Building Working Group leader. So Adrian, welcome to the call. I know that you were here from the very beginning but you had to wait up until now. So Adrian, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

ADRIAN CARBALLO: Sergio, thank you very much for your introductions and the welcoming remarks. I was paying close attention to all the comments and presentations.

Now let me talk about the capacity building topic. Of course, we are trying to see how to address prioritizations within ICANN, and of course, we need to take into account ALSes. Of course, the Communications Working Group task is of vital importance because we need to spread the word and we need to inform the regions.

Regarding our work, we are thinking about this and we are trying to work actively. We are now discussing the topics. As I said before, we are defining the main topics, so we are proposing to perform surveys to the ALSes and I expect to have this ready shortly. Of course, we need to compare the different ALSes through a questionnaire for the different ALSes and for incoming ALSes. This is going to be useful for those ALSes that are not active nowadays. The idea is to engage them and to learn about them.

When it comes to the survey, the survey will be carried out in Spanish as well as in English. All topics are going to be evaluated. We will have open questions in the different templates in order to start with the implementation. So there is a preliminary list of the topics in order to start discussing this list in the working groups. For example, when it comes to the ALSes, we have the issue of the structure. We also need to discuss if there is any ALS model that should be more convenient than any other.

We're also going to address the strategy and management of ALSes, the funding for ALSes in order for them to be able to participate so that they can become more aware of ICANN-related issues. They need to learn about ICANN's structure in order to understand better all the information. We also need to address the technical aspects of DNS policy development processes at ICANN, the registry, registrars, and registrant-related issues, and of course, we need to address different aspects related to the online communication.

So with this content in mind, we need to see how we can improve communications within ALSes, and of course, we need to highlight the important of our working together with Lilian. We are going to use different platforms, for example, Webex, Zoom, Adobe Connect.

When it comes to the training time, perhaps we may have a webinar to our webinar. We also need to assess the different activities. In all cases, all courses and training courses will be delivered in English and Spanish. And of course, if we need to take them separately, we are going to do it. Then we will assess the results based on the activities and the platforms

being used. This is what we have been working on for 2019, so the main objective is to find and identify the needs of ALSes.

When it comes to the Internet Southern School, we are now sending information about this school. There is a grant, a fellowship program being opened, but there are no applications. I don't know why because they're always asking, people are always asking for training opportunities. So this is very important for the Internet ecosystem because all stakeholders do participate. So today is the closing date and I don't see any applications online.

So the idea is to find the best way to address topics and the best way to communicate these topics in order to engage more people and in order to improve participation on one hand, and of course, in order to add new ALSes to have more and better participation at a regional level.

So now I am open for questions. Thank you.

If there are no questions, Harold or Sergio will let me know how we should continue with this call.

HAROLD ARCOS:

Thank you, Adrian, for sharing your work plan with us. Sergio has dropped from the call, so he's trying to connect again. Lilian has asked for the floor so I am going to give her the floor and she will probably have a question. Go ahead, Lilian.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE: Adrian, you are doing a fabulous job. I think that you are well-focused. Let me reiterate our intention to work with you and you can let me know when we can get together in order to establish some priorities for our work.

ADRIAN CARBALLO: Yes. Sure, Lilian. After this call, I will send you an e-mail and we will try to arrange the first steps in our joint work.

And let me also say something that I forgot to mention. We have also training sessions for leaders and we want to revisit this and give new momentum to the leadership capacity building, so this is one of those standing issues that we need to revisit.

HAROLD ARCOS: Thank you. Excellent, Adrian. Thank you so much. I don't know if there are any further comments. It is very important for the community to know that in the ALAC Capacity Building Group, they are also working on preparations for the ATLAS III Summit that will be held in Canada, so I would like to remind you of this call for ALAC members to participate there so that you can have ongoing communication with them.

Alberto is asking for the floor. Go ahead, Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: I just remember now that you mention ATLAS III, that I should make this suggestion. I suggest that all of us take the first ICANN Learn initial course. The group that is working on programming of these courses are

looking at the required courses so all of us who want to attend ATLAS III will have to take that course, so we should all take that introductory course. It will be very useful to all of us. Thank you.

HAROLD ARCOS:

Thank you, Alberto. Lilian is also in that group and I am also in that group, so we are now working on the selection process and we will soon make an announcement to the community about the required courses that should be completed for attendees for ATLAS III to be able to attend that summit. So we can join in force with Adrian's group to build more capacity.

I see that Sergio has joined us again in the call, so Sergio, go ahead please.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Harold. I think that now we need to proceed to the Governance Working Group. As you know, last year, the Governance Working Group worked on the operating principles of the metrics document.

[The interpreter apologizes, but Sergio's audio is cutting off right now.]

[The interpreters apologize. We can't hear Sergio. His audio is choppy now.]

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Sorry for the interruption, Sergio, but we will have to dial out again to you because the interpreters can't hear you.

HAROLD ARCOS: Yes, that's right, Claudia. I'm going to take this opportunity while we dial out to Sergio again to tell you that within the framework of the Governance Working Group, Sergio has made a call for members to reconfirm their continued participation. Some of them have reconfirmed their participation on the Wiki page directly. Others have done so through e-mail, but if you haven't yet confirmed that you wish to continue participating in this group, please do so.

The Governance Working Group was launched many years ago. There was a period of work between 2017 and 2018, and now we have new challenges ahead so we need to reconfirm your participation in this group in order to continue working on the various topics of interest to us. So that is important for all members of the Governance Working Group.

Okay, Claudia, do we have Sergio again on the call?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: No, not yet.

HAROLD ARCOS: Thank you, Claudia. Okay, so I am displaying here on the screen the information about the Governance Working Group. I think Sergio is back.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I don't know if you heard anything of what I said before, but I'll try to make a brief summary. In 2018, the Governance Working Group, and in early 2019, our group has submitted some deliverables that have been adopted by our region. The operating principles and the metrics document were the two deliverables.

This document now required that we look at the rules of procedure that will determine how we are going to apply the different provisions in these two documents. Now we are proceeding to reconfirm and ratify all the members of the working group. We are going to convene the meeting urgently.

Our meetings are not going to be like the meetings of the other groups. By May, we should have the rules of procedure already in place. This is a small group. We don't want to have too many members so as to be able to move forward quite quickly.

When the metrics document was adopted, I asked the secretariat to enter the ALSes that we have in our database in order to keep a record of their participation and also to [assign] values to those metrics. So that means that there will be some follow-up on the work done by each ALS in LACRALO.

The follow-up will be quantified. We won't be able to measure quality, but we will certainly measure quantity with concrete data. The quality of their participation is a topic that we will also have to discuss within the group. I still don't know how we can assess the quality of the participation of the ALSes collectively, but we will try to keep some

quantitative measures in order to keep track of the level of participation of each ALS in the LACRALO region.

I think that I should also highlight the [inaudible] Council work. We are making some adjustments to make sure that there is no clash with the operating principles and the rules of procedure. The individual users have also been taken on board, so now we have to look for ways to integrate and to engage the individual users in the work done in the region. We have some examples to follow in North America and Europe and we will try to follow some of those steps. There is a lot of work ahead.

Lilian presented a Gantt Chart. We are going to do the same. We will try to quantify as much as possible. We will surely have reports every week. We will have to work actively on our mailing list in order to make progress quickly and we hope we can have the rules of procedure already in place by May in order to shed some light on the work of our region.

We have been able to move ahead after the mediation process, so we will try to continue making progress in the [side] action. I don't know if any of you would like to take the floor, whether you have any questions or comments. Thank you.

I don't see any requests for the floor, so let's move on to the next item on the agenda. Harold, perhaps you can help me. What is the next item of our agenda now?

HAROLD ARCOS:

Well, we have had the presentation of the objectives, all expected results, and the methodologies, and the schedules for each of the working groups. We have completed the sixth item of our agenda, so I don't see any other items left. I don't know if there are any further comments.

Let me say that right now in the working group dealing with domain names and their impact on users, we have six members on the GDPR and WHOIS, we have four. On IDN, five. In Communications, ten members. In Capacity Building, we have six members, and in the Governance Working Group, we have 13 members.

We have ratified the continued participation of most of those members. We still lack a few confirmations but perhaps, as a result, we will end up having half of the current membership. But all the members worked very actively over the last year. So we have 62 individuals, approximately in total. So this amounts to a significant number. Let's say, by way of illustration, that we remove half of the members of the Governance Working Group, we will still have 30 individuals left across all the working groups, so I think that we need further engagement, further involvement in order to step up to the challenges that lie ahead of us.

Anyway, the region is now speaking up. Its members have expressed their interest in discussing these topics and I think that now we have gone through the At-Large Review, and LACRALO is considering the implementation criteria by setting up these working groups and setting the work methodology for these groups. So I think that it is important in

this LACRALO Working Groups Call to make these comments. And now, I'll give you back the floor for some closing remarks.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Harold, for your contribution. Before closing, I would like to thank each and every one of you for joining us. There were some difficulties with communication. We would like to have more participants on the list, but each working group will have to set a meeting day together with the staff, and I will give you the floor, Silvia, in a minute. But what is most important is that now LACRALO is open to broader participation and it is deeply committed to discussing the policies that are being considered within ICANN, and I think that this is really valuable.

After the mediation process, I think this can certainly push the development of our region and I think that we need to spread the word throughout the ICANN world. We need to let them know how LACRALO is working now. So Silvia, I will give you the floor now.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Sergio. Thank you, all. I just wanted to thank you all for the incredible work that you are taking on. We are starting to see the first response and please remember that we have the Wiki pages and the mailing list at your disposal. You can start posting and sharing content there.

As you know, we haven't had members from the Caribbean in these working groups but we are recording and providing interpretation

services in each of these calls for the sake of transparency. So we want to have that. We want you to take advantage of this and share that information. You can listen to the recordings later. Use those Wiki pages. The Wiki pages are publicly available notebooks where you can follow the discussions among the LACRALO members. This is what I wanted to say and thank you all for your hard work.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Silvia, for your comments and for your contributions. It is true. We need to take advantage of the Wiki pages. I'm sure that in the next Board call we will focus on that to make sure that all the working groups start using them actively.

I think that we still have eight more minutes in this call, but there is nothing else to discuss so I think that we can adjourn this call. You are free to go and thank you all. Have a good night. This call is adjourned.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]