
YESIM NAZLAR:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ATLAS III PWG Outcome Sub Group co-chairs' call, taking place on Wednesday, the 27th of February, 2019, at 19:00 UTC.

On our call today, we have Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Eduardo Diaz, and Nadira Al-Araj.

We haven't received any apologies for today's call, and from staff side we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber, and myself, Yesim Nazlar. I will be doing call management for this call.

Just a kind reminder to please state your names for the transcription purposes, even though we all know each other. Back to you, Olivier. Thank you very much – Eduardo. I'm so sorry.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

It's okay. Thank you, everyone, for being here today. I don't think this is going to be a long call. Basically, we just want to get an update for what's been happening with this group. The only here today is Nadira, but I guess Carlton can go back the recording of this and get up to date with what we discuss here today.

In any case, Nadira, one of the things that I just wanted to [go over with] you and Carlton was if you are clear with the scope of this group. Are you okay with it? Or are you still having [objections or] questions about it? Of what this group is supposed to be doing.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

NADIRA AL-ARAJ: Yeah. Thank you, Olivier. This is Nadira for the record. Yes, Item B and Item D I'm kind of still not clear about because I'm not sure what you mean about especially carrying this outcome forward. So this is still not clear for me: Item 3 of the list.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.

NADIRA AL-ARAJ: The follow-up. If you can elaborate on that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, the idea is that we expect – and we had this discussion in [another] group the other day – that one outcome that will come out of this, the ATLAS III, will be a report of what happened on the whole event. That's basically what it is.

However, I expect that there will [these] new outcomes – this is my personal opinion; which might happen or might not – that might be things that happen during the event that will require some actions to happen after ATLAS III.

So those outcomes or issues that come out during the ATLAS III that we're required to follow up after the ATLAS III on is something that we need to capture. We don't expect the group to follow up on it. Maybe there's a different group to follow the post-ATLAS III. But we need to capture those outcomes.

So we know who put the issue out there. What is the issue? What is the rationale behind that issue and expected to completion? So we can capture that.

So we need this group to think about it, and for that type of things, what things do we need to capture in this [on the way] so we can use that to follow up after post-ATLAS III event.

So, basically, it's coming up with a template related to that specifically.

NADIRA AL-ARAJ:

Thank you, Eduardo. Exactly that was what I was looking for. So you made it clear that I-3 is in fact an action item that happened during the meeting. That's why we need to indicate the owner of the idea and who can follow up for the meeting because it will be different than Item 3, which we will be reporting on the sessions themselves, the event itself. It's good [inaudible] I'll take an oath for myself that it's not the outcome. It's the action items. That makes it more clear for us, I think. And I'll deliver it also to the group members as well. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes. Olivier, I don't know if you want to add to this to make it ... but this is the [inaudible] expectation for this group.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Yeah. Thanks very much, Eduardo. One of the big things that we always have, the big challenges we have, in this community is being able to use funds in a way that is demonstrably going to benefit ICANN in one way

or another. I mean, it's called the return on investment, which is a terrible way to describe it because it's not a return on investment. You're not investing, as such, on a product. But it's basically making use of funds and making sure that the funds are used well enough so as to be able to benefit the community and the community members in being better at what they do and being able to participate in a better way than what they've done so far.

So it's always difficult to then say, "Well, what are the outcomes going to be?" Of course, the whole thing of saying, "We need metrics. We need some way to measure the outcomes," and so on is very difficult because it's not an exact science as such.

So the outcomes really is a whole set of things, not just one. And I don't think that one can be just taken in isolation to be self-serving and they'll say, "Well, that's it." So either of these outcomes will be fine. It's just like a whole group of things that has to come together.

One of the things, though, is – I guess that, if you're going to look at an outcome, you have to plan for it accordingly, walking backwards. So if you're looking for a specific outcome or you hope that a specific set of outcomes will be reached, then you really need to work backwards and shape the program accordingly so as to reach these outcomes. Perhaps that would also require knowledge to be learned in the run-up to the program or some specific processes to take place in the run-up to the actual face-to-face meeting in Montreal.

So the work here might seem to be just quite pie-in- the sky, like, “Oh, we’ll look at the outcomes,” but really, it’s kind of starting at the end and then working back towards the beginning.

Whilst you might think this is a sort of thing that has a sort of long deadline time – we we’re talking about deadlines with the other groups earlier. Obviously, the group that has the shortest deadline at the moment is the Capacity Building Group, the one that meets to define the webinars and define the whole ICANN Learn sessions that has to start very, very quickly because the application for people to apply is just around the corner, is just a few days away.

But the outcomes, that being said, do need to also be pretty much in good movement within the next couple of months if not the next month or so because, when the Programme Group shapes the program, it really needs to know where it wants to go with that.

So I expect that there’ll also be some fair amount of discussion between the Programme Sub Group and the Outcome Group.

That’s pretty much it. The outcomes are a whole mix of things, as you can see in there. It could be reports. It could be follow-up activities. It could be a whole lot of information, data, video, interviews and things that we can actually put on the website and use to demonstrate all of the outcomes that have taken place and, in fact, that also showcases the activity that we’ve had.

So it’s kind of mix between the public relations PR stuff that is going to come out of what we do – the whole publicity side, if you want – and, at the same time, the actual actions that will need to take place

afterwards, whether it's a report, whether it's ongoing activities, whether it's the creation of a working group that will need to follow up from ATLAS III, whether it's processes. There's a whole lot of things in there.

So this is where, of course, the group is going to have to look and be a bit creative and make sense of it and [know] classified, etc., so we know where we are on that.

I think that's my understanding of it. Eduardo, you might have any even further understanding to that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. You know the link to this document? I went a few days ago and they made to changes to it, but I don't see them here because—

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Eduardo, when you save to PDF, which is what you're seeing on the screen at the moment, the suggestions which are not agreed to do not appear.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, I don't have – okay. I don't know who [owns this place]—

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: There you go. I've just accepted it. I think I own that document, maybe. So it's just been accepted, so if Yesim reloads this into PDF, that would work.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Can you do that, Yesim?

YESIM NAZLAR: Yes, sure.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Because what I did, like she's doing this, Nadira, is that I took the same things I have here and put it in a different – I [capitalized] it. You will see it now. Which makes it a lot easier to understand.

Let's see if we see it.

NADIRA AL-ARAJ: Thank you. Thank you, Eduardo. Thank you, Olivier. In fact, Olivier also mentioned at the end there that there was the timeframe because there was a mention about the timeframe with the milestone, especially the closure of the – [yes]?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. And, Nadira, if you look at the document, if you go down, I rearranged the idea so it makes sense now.

For ATLAS III, one of the outcomes is reports, which means they summary reports, [inaudible] reports, testimonials, and short videos with interviews of people. Yes, we record the whole thing.

One of the things that you mentioned in another meeting was metrics, which, when you think about it, yes, that's part of the outcomes for ATLAS III.

Then, if you look post-ATLAS III, these are the action items or issues that need follow-up eventually. For that, we need some kind of template to capture that, like who is the owner of these action items? What's the description? What's behind the description? And a timeframe of sort that will [bring closure] whatever action item is there. We don't want things there hanging for years. We should have a strategic timeframe that we close this. We cannot have an action item to change the color of the moon to violet or blue because it will never happen. That's what I meant with timeframes.

In any case, I hope this is clear now. Also, one of the things that we also want to see from the group is, like you mentioned, a timeline of your group on when things are going to be ready for milestones so we can all work towards that timeframe. That's something that you and [Carlton] in the group should think about. What kind of timeframe should you put out there so this can be ready for ATLAS III?

NADIRA AL-ARAJ:

Yeah. Thank you, Eduardo and Olivier, for both explaining it. You are helping me focus on [inaudible]. There is another point which I didn't understand: Item D, the fully functional and motivated next generation.

And this is ... how do you integrate that into the outcome report as well?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, Olivier, I'm going to let you have that one because that's one that you put in there. So maybe you are better at explaining that one.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Eduardo. So that actually is an outcome which is not just an outcome that you can write on paper as such and say, "Well, there you go. We've got a fully integrated bunch of people that are now able to do all sorts of great things and stuff."

What this working group would need to do would be to find out how to track in the future if the ATLAS III has been successful in creating a community of fully functional and motivated next generation of At-Large leaders.

So, in order to track that, does it mean that we're going to find out if there is an increase in the number of people on the calls? Or do we find out if there is a percentage of new leaders in At-Large? So the old hags like me will be out and there'll be some new people coming in? Are there metrics that need to put there? Are there various types of statistics? I don't know. Maybe the average age of your At-Large participant goes down? I'm just throwing ideas here, but this effectively is one of the things where the Outcomes Group has to make suggestions as to how we can track the success of ATLAS III.

And because that's –

NADIRA AL-ARAJ: Thank you, Olivier. In fact ...

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry. Just to finish. Because ATLAS III's main aim to start with was to get people that are already interested, already involved, already eager to do things to learn about ICANN, to learn about At-Large, to then gain those leadership skills and be able to apply them in a real setting when they meet face-to-face, then after that I guess the proof comes in the pudding. The Outcomes Group should say, "Well, how do we find out if these people really are now the next leaders for At-Large? How do we know that?"

NADIRA AL-ARAJ: Great point, Olivier. In fact, while following [Dev's] tool, the one he shares on Skype with the Fellowship [about from which countries they're from]. I even started a discussion with him regarding creating the committees as not necessary. Maybe we can do the opposite. Who were part of the program? We start having a kind of a sheet for them, monitoring and asking them themselves to load what activities, which committees they are in. And not just attending the meeting, but what are their contributions? In fact, it has to be self-motivated to work, to continue feeling this.

Maybe after one year, it will show the kind of tracking of their activities and how they reach – because it's one meeting. Even if they are engaged – but everything needs time. So that's why there tracking them

is not just a simple thing we can do. But that's one of the ideas that I have and I'm still developing it.

But also, once we discuss it with the sub group, I'm sure different ideas will emerge as well. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Eduardo, may I speak?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, sure. I just wanted to say that I just added that in the document, Olivier. So you have to [say] if you're okay. So it makes it clear. That's one of the post-ATLAS III reports.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks. I'll do that in a second.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. So go ahead, Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Eduardo. I was going to just add one more thing. I agree with what Nadira was saying. There's always a question – I don't know if you read the discussions that are currently taking place with regards to the selection of people that will take part in ATLAS III – as to, “Oh, but you have to be inclusive. You have to bring as many people forward as possible. You have to be geographically balanced. You have

to give a chance to people around the world to come and to participate,” and so on. We do that all the time. All of our calls are open. All of the working groups are open, or the great majority of working groups are open.

Yet, you find that you do get some groups with a lot of names there, but when the actual call takes place, it’s absolutely dreadful. In fact, we saw earlier – was it this week? – that, in one of the other sub groups, only one of the people who had signed up or been allocated to that sub group and say, “Yeah, yeah, yeah. I’ll be involved. I’m going to do a lot of things” – only one of out them out of the six or seven of them was there.

If it’s down to filling a room with bodies that will do nothing, I think that’s quite straightforward. We probably would be able to do something like that.

But really, here what we’re looking for is filling the room with people who are ultra-motivated, with the ones who are really likely to make a big difference: the next Alan Greenberg, the next Cheryl Langdon-Orr, the next Eduardo Diaz.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Or Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Although I don’t expect Eduardo to do as much work as Alan and Cheryl.

EDUARDO DIAZ: [I don't think so] [inaudible].

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: People who really are motivated to do things. That was the last thing I wanted to add, also: policy work. One of the criticisms we've had in At-Large is that we might have a lot of people that are involved in outreach and engagement and so on, but we're a little weak on policy. And let's face it. Policy is not easy at all. You need to have the knowledge, the skills. You need to be able to speak English fluently. You need writing skills. For many of the topics that are treated at ICANN, you need to have legal skills as well because, often, the issues are very technically inclined, "technically" as in legal technical but also technical sometimes with regards to the actual DNS and all of the acronyms and all that.

So it's not an easy task at all, but we have that opportunity to create and to help a core group of people who are motivated to go through this to be able to know as much as they could in that short amount of time with as much support for them to be able to reach that level.

We need to market this in a certain opportunity for the on one side. At the same time, if we [can] actually categorize the outcomes, then we can put outcomes we hope we can get out of this. That could be one way to motivate people to go through this process and reach that level because these are skills that you can then use in all sorts of ways, including in other parts of Internet governance, etc.

So that's one of the things that I wanted to share with you as well. But the emphasis on policy is something that we need to always keep in mind.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Any comments from Nadira? So an important thing, Nadira, is that you are clear on this. And from what you said, you understand better. Yes?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Just to follow up just on one thing, Heidi mentioned in the chat that, in her discussions with Maureen, she made clear she does not wish to have a follow-up similar to ATLAS III. No declaration, no long list of AIs to follow up on. We're looking at things in an entirely different way, I think, on this occasion.

There's not a declaration for the At-Large community or for the Board or for any other parts of ICANN to do things. But what this At-Large Summit will have done needs to be a lot more visual and needs to show a lot more outcomes than what the previous summits had.

What I mean by that is that a declaration, something like that, is different from being able to say that our participants, in our final report, have gone from knowing somehow about these topics to, now having followed all these courses, having done all of this face-to-face interaction, having been through these workshop, now able to write comments. They're now able to write policy work. They're now able to do things like that.

And, "Here are the interviews of these people that we took on the last two days of the summit." And have, like, a video library of these people, for example. These are tangible outputs that we can have. You

can see here in [E], “Short video interview of selected participants, how ATLAS III has changed your perspective. What can you do for ICANN and At-Large? Explain an issue that you’d like to take forward for further work. What will you tell people back home?” This stuff – and I’m inclined to use the word s-h-i-t – [interspersed] with s-h-i-t is crucial because that’s the sort of thing that’s going to really show the rest of ICANN – and also I would even go as far as the rest of the world – that we know what we’re talking about and we have some really, really good elements in our community that are both motivated and knowledgeable. That’s really super important.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Nadira, please – whoops. Go ahead.

NADIRA AL-ARAJ:

Thank you, Olivier. Thank you, Eduardo. Thank you first for explaining what Heidi mentioned because I understood, during our meeting on Monday, the declaration but it seems I didn’t understand what Heidi has written here.

Also, thank you. I will go back to this recording because we already, Olivier, put in questions [about] storylines that we will be asking during the interviews. Thank you for that because I was going to put in our framework what kind of questions we are going to ask, and you already have given that to us. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yeah. He sometimes gets really fired up. It's good that we have recorded that.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Please do not use the four-letter word. You can use "stuff" but not the other one. "Stuff" is five letters, so that's safe.

EDUARDO DIAZ: To move forward with this discussion, Nadira, we're likely to think about the timelines so we can then schedule these meetings accordingly. So we can follow up on progress based on that timeline.

So, other than that, I don't have anything else to say. Should we set up the next meeting now or later? Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Eduardo. I wanted to add a couple more things, just for Nadira. One thing that you need to be aware of is that Eduardo and I and staff are all here to help you guys out. So if you do feel at any moment that you're not receiving the support that you need for your group, and you will have seen the different group members that you've got there, then please don't hesitate to let us know. We're on the mailing list. We're subscribed to the mailing list as well, so we know what's going on. Or if there's nothing going on, we know there's nothing going on. So our aim, of course, is to try and get these people to work.

There was a discussion that we had earlier with the previous group, with Glenn and Vanda's group, and it was that you had all these people here

that have volunteered to be part of the organizing teams. Although we did say, when they sent their statement of interest, “Oh, well, this doesn’t necessarily give you a full green light, a checkmark, to be able to travel to Montreal. Not necessary,” it doesn’t mean that this might not count at some point if there is a question regarding someone, whether they would go or not, if they’ve been active or not active in the group.

I guess that, when someone volunteers to be in a working group like this and then doesn’t do anything at all – no calls, no pulse; I mean not even sending an e-mail or responding to e-mails or things like that – then that counts against them as well. We can certainly make that quite clear with people because we have small teams and there’s a lot of work there. It’s quite unfair that the whole work would fall on the heads of the co-chairs, whether it’s you guys or us guys or whoever it is that will end up with this on the table.

As a shared piece of work, it’s easy. As a piece of work done by one person, it’s a lot heavier for them. Then it doesn’t make it a community thing. That’s the other thing. This whole preparation is a community thing.

So if you have any troubles or are faced with any problems in your group, that there’s low engagement and so, let us know. We’re absolutely happy to push and send some – I don’t know if you call them warning shots or whatever – or try and even stimulate the conversation and discussion, which no doubt we’ll do at several intervals.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Nadira, you have your hand up. Go ahead.

NADIRA AL-ARAJ: Yeah. Thank you again, Olivier, for also this information of having the support. I'm still not sure about the sense of the group because, first, I wanted myself to understand the kind of work on [a certain] framework and then have a [simple meeting with them].

So the first thing I will ask is to conduct a meeting similar to this to the sub group. That's what I expect that we will be doing with Carlton. So that's better. Now I know that I have the full understanding of our task, then I'm good in [inaudible] people and getting them onboard. I'm sure that they will be giving a hand as well. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Nadira. Olivier, your hand is still up?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's a new hand. Thanks, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: And that's probably my last words. With the other group, what we did was to say, well, the next steps, I guess, is for the sub group to have a meeting after Kobe because it's pretty much impossible to get one there beforehand. So a meeting after Kobe, soon after Kobe, and then take it from there, basically. You can have your introductory meeting. Of

course we'll all be attendance. If there's any need to explain things and so on, then we can certainly follow up.

Yeah, that's it, really. Eduardo, I don't know if [inaudible] on what you wanted to do next.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

No, no. That sounds like a great thing going forward, so if there are no more comments, then I suggest we finish this call, [except if] there is Any Other Business.

Not hearing anything, then this meeting has been adjourned. Thank you, Olivier. Thank you, Nadira. Thank you, Heidi.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]