
YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ATLAS III Programme Working Group call, taking place on Monday, the 25th of February, 2019, at 13:00 UTC.

On our call today, on the English channel, we have Eduardo Diaz, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Beran Dondeh, Hong Xue, Vanda Scartezini, Alfredo Calderon, Nadira Al-Araj, Alan Greenberg, and Lutz Donnerhacke.

On the Spanish channel, we have Lilian Ivette De Luque Bruges, and on the French channel, we have Michel Tchonang Linze.

We have received apologies from Joanna Kulesza, Ali AlMeshal, and from staff, Heidi Ullrich.

On today's call, from staff we have Gisella Gruber, and myself, Yesim Nazlar. I'll be doing the call management for this call.

We'll have Spanish and French interpretation. Our Spanish interpreters are Claudia and David.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Somebody has an echo.

YESIM NAZLAR: Yeah. And our friend interpreters are Aurelie and Jacques.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Before we start, just a kind reminder to please state your name, not only the for the transcription but also for the interpretation purposes as well.

Now I would like to leave the floor back to you, Eduardo. Thank you very much.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Yesim. Thank you, everyone, for attending this call. The main purpose of this call is to make sure everyone understands what we're trying to do, which I think everybody knows – but if you have a question, please to do so – and also know what the progress is up to know on the two different sub groups that we have on the Programme Sub Group. This sub group thing name is kind of confusing, but it's the Programme Working Group Sub Group.

So the first one in line is the capacity building, which is chaired by Joanna – I believe that's pronounced correctly – and Alfredo. So, Alfredo, if you can give us an update on the work that you have done so far. Really, we would like to know if the deadline of March 1st is going to be met. Also, another question that we have is if this set of courses are going to be prepared for people to take if they want to be [inaudible], like kind of a curriculum for ATLAS II.

So, Alfredo, the floor is yours.

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Thank you. Can you hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. We can hear you okay.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Okay. Thank you. First of all, apologies for not being in last week's call. Although it was a holiday here in Puerto Rico, I had to work a fully day load.

Anyway, we do have a set of courses, as Joanna mentioned in the last call. We're trying to figure out which are going to be the required courses. As a matter of fact, today, this afternoon, I think at 1:00 our time we have the next call so we can finalize those details.

So we have a set, if I recall correctly, of seven courses that, in our previous meeting, we set up as required, but we're revising that. Maybe we'll set it to five courses as required courses for all the individuals that are going to apply for ATLAS III.

Besides that, two weeks ago Olivier and I started doing some tests with the webinars. As you might recall from previous comments that Olivier made, we have an issue with the webinars. The webinars have, since they were done through the AC room, all these pods that, in our opinion, distract the attention from the individual that is going to hear and watch the webinar.

So what we did was try and select [the] presentation pod, which is the one in the middle, and work with that. I did a test and, for some reason, I came up with some blank screen. Olivier did the test, and in his case, he go through the whole presentation without any blank screen.

So, as a result of that, we ran into that issue, which is a technical hurdle for us, because we need to identify or decide this afternoon if we're going to leave the webinars as they are with the introduction and the interruptions and the questions at the end and the assessment and everything that is done as part of the webinars, or identify [inaudible] to work on that.

As a result of that, I asked Judith Hellerstein to contact [Jale] and see if he would help us with that since he was the know-how of how to accelerate this process and make it simple for us, instead of having volunteers doing the whole thing, which, as mentioned in the previous call, would take between two and four hours between the recording, the rendering, the editing, and splitting the whole thing up to make it as I mentioned before.

So this afternoon we'll decide on that. Regarding the question of the curriculum, hopefully we'll have the courses, the final required courses, by March 1st. But some of them still don't have the assessment part set up. I asked for volunteers to work on that, and I haven't seen any response to that from within the group. So we'll see what happens this afternoon, if somebody volunteers to help out with that. But so far, nothing.

The question of, if we're going to have a curriculum in place – well, we are going to have the required courses for ATLAS III, which are already those that are in ICANN Learn – we were expecting to hear from Betsy if some other courses will be available. They might be available but not by the deadline, so they're going to be suggested courses for those that apply that they can take before the deadline to apply for the ATLAS III

deadline. But they won't be required unless they're available, up and running, with the assessment by April 1st so they have at least a month to take them and use them as required courses. But we can't list them because we don't know if they'll be available by that date yet.

That's basically my summary of what's going on within our group. If you have any questions, I'm here to answer them. I see Alan has a question. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. I understand why we can't make them required courses for applying, but why can we not say that there will be a number of courses made available between the period of acceptance and the actual ATLAS and make them required courses? We can't necessarily enforce it, but we certainly can put them on the books as being required. And we can send them reminders if they don't take them to the extent that we can measure that. Thank you.

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Thank you, Alan, for the question. I actually agree with you. If we stayed in the website or wherever the application is going to be posted, there be some other required courses on or before April 1st. I agree with you. We should do that and make the applicants aware of that.

I don't know what Eduardo's opinion and [inaudible], so I'll give them the floor. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Alfredo. Alan, I just want to understand what you're suggesting. Are you talking about having courses after April 1st or after people have been accepted to go to Kobe?

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't know exactly what the schedule is doing the acceptance, but either.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, the deadline for people to apply is May 1st, and then they whoever gets accepted after May 1st will be set to go to Kobe. If we put courses after they are accepted, courses to be required to be taken but cannot be enforced, then it doesn't make sense. If they don't take them, still they are set to go. It's not like – do you follow me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes. But we can certainly ask them, "Did you take them?" We may not be able to take them off the list. Maybe we can at that point. Even for Adobe Connect ones, we have no ways of enforcing that they've taken them. There's no way to guarantee they've listened to an Adobe Connect session.

So all I'm saying is, if we think the material there is something they really should have prior to October, there's a big period between May and October that we can say they have to do them and ask them to self-report. They can lie but it's better than not having them take them at all.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. [inaudible]. Why don't we take this on the leadership call and talk about that more?

ALAN GREENBERG: Certainly.

EDUARDO DIAZ: The point is well-taken.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: The question that I have is, before May 1st? If there's a course that comes out before May 1st, then it will be required. And it will be taken into account. How – before May 1st – many weeks before that week have to be in place for people to have time to take it. So we can think about that and we can take it on the ATLAS III leadership call, too.

The question I have about the curriculum I [inaudible] Alfredo – oh, Alfredo. You have the floor, so go ahead.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Thank you, Eduardo. Alan, the way the webinars are going to be work is that we're going to be request a list of [inaudible] who is the person in charge of ICANN Learn, to upload those courses to ICANN Learn. So we'

will have some evidence that at least they clicked on the video or the webinar and they completed it. That's why, if we use the webinars, we're going to have to have some questions that they have to answer, just to ensure that they just didn't click through the video or the webinar without acquiring any knowledge.

If we add courses after April 1st, the time limit they will have to take that course will be one month. That's something that the leadership team has to decide – if April 1st should be the deadline or it could be closer to May 1st, which is the deadline to apply for the fellowship. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Alfredo. So I [put out the question about the Kobe meeting]. If I get into ICANN Learn, will I see a [slot] that says, "Required Courses for ATLAS III," and then I will go there and will see the list of them? Is that the way it works? [inaudible]. As I understand it—

[ALFREDO CALDERON]:

Yes.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. Just to tell people getting there they—

[ALFREDO CALDERON]:

Yes, Eduardo. That ...

EDUARDO DIAZ: Go ahead.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes, Eduardo. The way it's going to work is as you mentioned. There's going to be a folder that reads "ATLAS III," or whatever label it's given to that group of courses. Everybody will be visually see that those are the courses that they have to take. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you. Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Eduardo. As far as I understand from what Elizabeth had last told us, she would have these additional courses hopefully ready by Kobe, which is only two weeks from now. So let's see how it goes on these additional courses that she has. I do hope that she will have had these completed.

My main question was actually with regards to the course on the GNSO. At the moment, there is a course on the GSNO which has some errors inside it. Rather than fixing those errors, Elizabeth said that a new course was being developed for the GNSO, and that would be ready very soon.

Have you had any feedback on that?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I believe that Alfredo—

ALFREDO CALDERON: Thank you, Olivier, for the question. No, I haven't, and I've been in touch with Elizabeth for the last two weeks, constantly asking her about a couple of things, and she has gotten back to me. She says it's under legal or they're revising it or there's some steps they're taking. She doesn't have a clear idea when it'll be available. So that's what I have so far from her side. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Just as a follow-up, Eduardo, I think that's one of the critical ones that we need to establish: whether we use the old GNSO course or the new GNSO course. But I guess in the next couple of weeks we probably will have more clarification on this and more of a forecast [inaudible]. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. The schedule that you see here on the page here in Adobe was based on the application form coming out on February 16th. I was told by Maureen that there are plans to get this application online the first day in Kobe, which is where the meeting starts, which is March 9th. So that's when the application form will be online. People will be able to go ahead and start applying for ATLAS, basically. So, still we have some time to finalize whatever we need to finalize before that day.

In any case, is there anything else that you want to add, Alfredo?

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes. My suggestion is that we go with the courses that we know that don't have any changes involved. As the new courses or the revised courses come up, we can add them as required courses, as long as it's before April 1st. Then we can look at what happens after they apply and they are admitted as ATLAS III individuals to have capacity courses or webinars or whatever online. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Can you bring that point up on the mailing list later on?

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yeah, sure. I'll do that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you so much. So, Olivier, are you home or are you still on the road?

YESIM NAZLAR: Eduardo? This is Yesim. Olivier just dropped, and [inaudible] is currently redialing him back.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Should we wait for him or just continue? Let's wait a couple of minutes if we can get him online. Let us know, Yesim.

In the meantime, the next point on the agenda is the follow-up on the work on the Programme Sub Group. This is the sub group that is dealing

with the actual time blocks/schedule blocks in the schedule for ATLAS III. If you are so kind – and there’s a link to a Google Doc that Glenn has put together and started working on. I see that Glenn has joined the call. So, Glenn, can you run us through this? I know this is a very drafty document, but give us an idea on what things you and Vanda and your group are looking into doing during this timeframe.

Glenn? Or Vanda?

No?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Good morning. It’s Glenn here. I believe Vanda is going to start off with discussing, but we also have to give you our timelines. Vanda are you there?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Yeah. I’m here.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. Can you hear?

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Yeah. Well, yeah. I’m here. While Glenn ... can you hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. Go ahead, Vanda.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Okay. Glenn and I have started to drafted some ideas about the content of the program. My main point about that is it will have some [inaudible] to have people training in some way in leadership. We need to have content that takes us to that goal.

I have made some leadership courses [inaudible]. One point that could be interesting is to have a [partial group]. Each day, we could have a sub goal to lead us to the ends of the goal that is [inaudible] on leadership.

So we are not yet in full agreement with that. We haven't discussed deeply on that. So we are in the middle of this work.

We need to make the timeline, and Glenn has made a form for people to select the people and to put people into those courses and identify them to, in better opinion, better have a clue as to who has more knowledge about some things and who does not because we need to have some groups that can come out with some real results to show that they are understanding the leadership behavior in a multicultural environment.

So that is something that we have done so far, but [inaudible] have call today to discuss deeply this content and how we're going to work.

Another issue is if we will have rooms for breakout and how those breakouts can be divided and how we can put sub groups working on that because, to learn leadership, you need practice/experience, or [inaudible] to have people trained how to lead in this environment.

So that's the first draft. Certainly, next week we'll come out with more deep information with the timeline that I believe is the most important right now. Thank you, and I pass the floor to Glenn to comment on that. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Glenn, you have the floor if you want to add anything.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah. Morning, everyone, or afternoon, wherever you are. Yeah, we don't have anything yet to really share with you that's concrete in terms of the flow because we don't want a lot of duplication. We're looking for feedback from various members on this committee. But I think our first [bid] is to list the topics that are of interest.

Now, there are various different formats that people can – remember, in the breakout session, there's going to be five breakouts. So we need to know if we have the rooms. That's going to be a factor. Again, these are small groups.

So you start off with what are the core topics that need to be covered. Again, we are expecting people to give us suggestions as well. So, right now, I don't have anything to give you because it's still very rough. We started with a [long] list of things. Now we have to pare it down: what are the core four things we want to achieve? And working our way backwards.

So Ben and I are meeting this afternoon. Hopefully by the end of the day we should have something as a draft for the committee to mull over. Okay. That's it from me.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Glenn. Alfredo, you have the floor.

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Thank you, Eduardo. Glenn and Vanda, I do have a question for you guys. Since you're going to have to work backwards with the theme or the topics you're going to cover in [Montreal, you're] going to be working closely with the At-Large Capacity Building Working group, which I co-chair with Joanna, because we're planning on [also] doing some webinars. Probably those webinars can set the stage for the topics for the activities you're going to encounter or the [inaudible] are going to encounter when they meet in Montreal, especially if, in the breakout sessions, you're going to try and measure that they have acquired the skills that you expect from them as leaders. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Alfredo. Alan, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. What percentage of the time are we talking about for this particular program? If I could get an answer to that first, and then I'll continue, please.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Alan, you're talking about time for developing the program or the actual time doing it?

ALAN GREENBERG: Doing it.

EDUARDO DIAZ: You mean running it? We have one, two, three, four, five days.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, I understand. What percentage of the time are we looking at developing leadership group management skills, which I think is what Vanda was talking about?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Oh, within the whole week. I don't know. I thought the ATLAS III was mostly focusing on developing leadership.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. My understanding going into this was this was leadership in the larger context that [IBM] uses it; that is, all ALAC members are leaders within the overall ICANN community.

I worry if we are spending a significant part of the overall program in Montreal talking about actual how to lead meetings and how to motivate people because, although ultimately some of these people will become the next generation of leaders, not all of them will. We're hoping that many of them will become workers. I'm a little bit concerned if we're spending a large part – it's a good program, but I'd be concerned if we're spending a large part of the overall program time in Montreal on that aspect as opposed to the part where we hope to get a lot more workers out of it, some of whom who will ultimately become actual leaders of groups. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Alan. Again, let's have this discussion on the ATLAS III leadership meeting.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Because we're giving direction as to what effort has been done here in ATLAS III, and our direction was directly to develop leadership. I mean, we can combine leadership development with actual work. You can do a workshop on leadership using an actual policy and [work on that].

ALAN GREENBERG: The question was, what else are we doing, what percentage of the time was devoted to this aspect, as opposed to other aspects. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you so much. Vanda, you have the floor now.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: First, Alfredo, I don't know if there's any real leadership webinars on the learning [border] in ICANN. Maybe it's a new one that I don't know because I have done most of them, and they use them in capacity building for women. But I haven't found anyone focus in the leadership capacity. [I'm responding to you] but we can talk further to see if we can identify something that will help the group to come a little more prepared for that.

Being a leader in your community is [inaudible]. I believe we need to ensure how to be a leader in a cross-border [inaudible] diverse environment because that is the most important point: to be a leader in the ICANN community.

Responding to Alan, that was my first question to Maureen and Olivier in the beginning of this discussion in ATLAS III. I do believe that we can have those training [inaudible] work to capacity [build] in the leadership order. We can use them to teach them how to have those strong collaborations or build confidence or how to influence and how to lead groups in those environments using policy issues and policy topics [due to capacity building].

So we can use what they have learned during the webinars that is preparation for a better understanding and the ICANN environment, and we can use leader workshops in the practical aspect to capacity build to work in that environment.

That is what I think about, but I haven't discussed much of that with the other colleagues that want to be part of our group. So this is just my opinion here. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Vanda. I have Carlton, please. You have the floor.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Hi. Does everybody hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, we can hear you.

CARLTON SAMUELS: I'm listening to the conversation, and it seems we are in the horns of a dilemma because, if you look at what we're trying to do here, we're trying to create leaders, and that means that there has to be some kind of long-term commitment to it. It makes sense that, if we train leaders, there has to be long-term commitment. It also sense that, if anybody is going to invest of all of this leadership training, there's some long-term commitment.

But you just suppose [what] we know against the oft-repeated complaints of At-Large that only a small group remains and they dominate. Now you see how we run up against that argument and that accusation.

So I'm not sure how you square the circle here, but what I do know is that what we are proposing is to have people for long-term commitments. Maybe we need to balance that against this oft-repeated accusation that we don't have new people coming in, new blood coming in, new people being put in place and so on. Just a thought. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Carlton. Is there anyone else who wants to comment on this discussion?

Cheryl, please.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you, Eduardo. Just in response to Carlton's squaring the circle, of course, one of the pivotal points in that dilemma and perhaps the way to manage the survival of riding the horns of the dilemma is to have 60 new, fresh, emerging leaders in the ATLAS program come out of the ATLAS III program, having learnt from us moldy-oldies what they can and who are fully prepared to step up to leadership and not only take the reins for the next while in the work of ICANN but work with the antiquated knowledge bank that some of us have and, most importantly, develop their own replacements. So this seems to me like

an ideal opportunity to bring out the lathe and square off those edges.
Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Cheryl. I don't know what order Olivier or Alfredo was in, so I'm going to take Alfredo and last but [not least, Olivier.] Alfredo, go ahead.

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Thank you, Eduardo. I have to agree with Cheryl. The way I see it is that the Leadership Team that has to establish that criteria are the ones that, when they develop the application form, have to take into account that we're not looking for people that are starting to get involved but that are already engaged but they haven't assumed leadership positions. I want to take my case – excuse me for taking my case. I'm co-chairing a couple of working groups, and it's because it's just happened.

So if we can get people that are engaged and we see that, through the application, they have the potential and the capacity to become leaders, that's what we're looking for. So we're not actually looking for people that are new in ICANN. We're looking for people that are already engaged and involved in some sort of activities. So that's my two cents.
Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. Olivier, please. You have the floor.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Eduardo. So I've listened to all the different points, and I do agree. I think we shouldn't be looking at the reason and saying, "Well, we want know people," "We want already-established people," and so on. We want just people who are going to be active. If there's somebody new who's just started today and decides, "That's it. I really want to be active," and follows all the courses and goes to the conference calls and those other things, then perfect. They have a great time, a great ability to take part, and they'll probably get a lot out of the [where they'd be]. So I ...

Sorry. I just sneezed, turning my mic off. I think that must have saved your ears. So the point is that the program that we have here is going to be more of the leadership program. They should get to know all the basics through the capacity building and then beyond that is where we need to boost them with the face-to-face.

I think one has to work in a clever way here. What's more suited to teach these people face-to-face? If you're going to have an Introduction to ICANN face-to-face session that could have been done in a webinar, as far as I'm concerned, it's a bloody waste of time to send them to Montreal.

On the other hand, if we have something that goes a little further that might include an external professional facilitator or even us or something, then that's where we're going to be able to get the most out the face-to-face time. That's probably the way that we need to look at it.

My putting the hand up was actually to ask Gisella again – I’m really sorry; I forgot – when Gisella was going to be able to confirm the current arrangement for the workshops and the plenary because I think it’s going to be really difficult, since this is currently not set, for the Programme Working Group to really start putting together their program based on an inaccurate current block schedule. So that’s it. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. Olivier, that question is – okay, Gisella. Go ahead. Alan, you will be next. [inaudible] Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Eduardo, thank you very much. Just to say that I have set up a meeting with Meetings Team in Kobe on Friday, the 8th of March. I think it will be much easier if I’m sat next to the person and actually running through the schedule if we need to ask anyone else to draw them in. We’re just so close to Kobe and there’s been a few technical and a few scheduling issues, and it hasn’t allowed me to have any quality time with the Meetings Team.

So if you bear with me, on the 8th of March I’ll have the meeting and I will update what we have or at least get back to this whole group to give you an update on what was discussed. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Gisella. I think that's doable. The deadline for the [foreign] group is a few months away, but the reason we're starting now is because I think it's a very complicated—

DANIEL NANGHAKA: It's Daniel. May I have the floor please?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Who's this?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Daniel.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Daniel, I'm going to have Alan going next and then you, okay? Alan, please.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yes. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. It's a bit late to be saying this, but I think we need a definition of what we need by leadership. What Olivier started off saying was closer to what I believe we were talking about. That is, we're looking for people who know about ICANN. We're not advertising in their local daily newspaper to apply for ATLAS. We're talking to people

who are involved, but we're then telling them to take courses which give them some pretty basic stuff.

So we are not talking only about people who were actively involved in ICANN policy processes and trying to make them leaders/managers of the process. I believe we were trying to get people who already were interested in ICANN to know more about ICANN and get into a position where they can participate, and some of them will become leaders with a capital "L" perhaps.

But certainly not all of them are already active, very active, in ICANN. Otherwise, why are we giving them on a course on what is ICANN, what is the GNSO, if they're all very active?

So I think we need a definition of what we mean by "leadership," and I don't think we all have the same idea about it. If we have that as a common ground, I think we'll be in a much better position to design the actual program there in detail. Right now I think we have different views. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. Thank you, Alan. I'm going to close the discussion with Daniel. Gisella, is your hand up again? Or, Daniel – is that a no?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Apologies.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Daniel, go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much, Eduardo. I hope I can be heard loud and clear. I guess I would like to just briefly [inaudible]. I'd be very happy to save it for after the meeting in Kobe to be able to assess the impact of the leadership or the capacity building of the leadership members who will be coming out. Because previously, we have seen [inaudible] especially in [capacity building] activities or policies that have been discussed.

According to my little knowledge, I think it would be either 1) the members are not aware [of] the key issues that have been discussed in the PDP or probably [they just heard] that they have to put in [inaudible] policy or commenting or discussing could be [inaudible]. Or probably there could be any other reason.

So the key target of the Kobe meeting for ATLAS III should be geared towards an effective capacity building program for effective leadership or for effective inclusiveness for the uninvolved or the [un-reached-out-to] members. I think this should also allow us to [inaudible] to the outreach and engagement strategy, speaking as the Chair for Outreach and Engagement.

We are [missing] there, but how [inaudible] people [inaudible] capacity of the members involved in the activity [inaudible]? How are we seeing them getting engaged?

I was talking to some members of my team and I was mentioning, "Okay. Let's [take] engagement. How is effective is our engagement? If

we are [inaudible] now, how effective is outreach [inaudible]. If you can [label] the [inaudible] or whatever we're doing to [pure respective] metrics to be able to measure the impact, I think that would be very easy for us to [inaudible] of [inaudible] what we are doing. Then we can be able to begin to see how our stories have been told over a period of time. [inaudible] Thank you. Back to you, Alfredo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Daniel. We are from the same country but we are [inaudible]. Anyway, any comments on what Daniel has mentioned?

Thank you, Daniel. I'm going to close this discussion. Olivier, do you want to take the third item in the agenda, the outcomes of groups update?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Eduardo. We could certainly move to the third item—

EDUARDO DIAZ: [inaudible].

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Open this [inaudible]. Thank you. The third item on the agenda is going to be the Outcomes Sub Group update, isn't it?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

That's correct.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Fair enough. Then I just need to turn the floor over to Carlton and Nadira and find out if there's been progress on this. I see, "Draft [is of] possible outcomes and information capture processes, metrics, meeting template, etc." That's what the Outcomes Sub Group update does.

I know that, later on this week, Eduardo and I have a call with Nadira and Carlton, but perhaps I can hand the floor over to them on what their outlook is for this.

Who wishes to speak? Carlton or Nadira?

CARTLON SAMUELS:

We have not had a meeting yet [inaudible] the outcomes. Nadira posted an outline of what she said the framework that we need to work in would be. I think we're going to flesh it out when we have our call later on this week.

It seems to me that the main part of what we have to do is to decide on the formats for reporting, decide on how we engagement with the people who are going to be rapporteurs in each session, and then have a working understanding of how we put the entire reporting program together.

So that's, I think, we're going to flesh it out in the meeting coming up this week. I'm sure Nadira would have some other things to add to it. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Carlton. Nadira?

NADIRA AL-ARAJ: Thank you [inaudible] whatever Carlton has mentioned. But during the meeting, I have another [inaudible] also to add on the evaluation of the sessions themselves. That's also part of – not evaluation. We don't want to evaluate. We need the feedback for each session for future reference. If the session was good or not, this is another outcome we have to include in our outcome framework as well. That's all for now, until our meeting. Next time our reporting may be more solid. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Nadira. The floor is open for any comments or questions.

Now, one of the things that I had somehow heard before and so in regards to the outcomes was some people said, "Oh, there is going to be a declaration as such, like in ATLAS II? Is there going to be a common statement that will be drafted and so on?"

Have you started thinking whether there would be such a thing, or are we looking at perhaps more tangible processors? Or what's the idea there?

Carlton Samuels?

CARTLON SAMUELS:

Thank you, Olivier. As you know, for ATLAS I and II, myself and [Evan] with a large of sub group of actors held the pen on the declarations statement, so I'm pretty familiar with how that works.

I think this time is going to be a little bit different. Recall that Nadira spoke about capturing the feedback from each session. It's one of the reasons that we have to put instructions that enable us to get the feedback so that we can produce the kind of document that tells what went on, what were the decisions, how are things put together.

At the first two ATLASes, we were really stretched in getting good feedback from the sessions. So [inaudible] the cause of these working mechanisms that we have were – let us say they were very slim to none. They were prototypes, as it were. I think it's important for us to have a feedback mechanism that allows us to capture real information from the sessions so that we can consolidate them and make a coherent narrative of what the outcomes are.

So I think that's the major thing that we have to do this time around: to determine how we're going to capture feedback and how we're going to [inaudible] it for publication. It's going to be a challenge. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Carlton. Next is Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. If I understood Carlton right, I think I support that. This is a process by which we hope to get more workers and leaders out of it. They're not here to tell ICANN what to do.

Now, as part of the report, we may well find some things that are clearly broken and need to be fixed because they're acting as impediments, I think, within the overall ICANN environment because they're acting as impediments to get people to that stage, in which case we should report that. But I don't think our target should be a declaration or something like that. I think it should be a report documenting what's happened, what our prognosis is. If there is anything coming out of it as a recommendation, so be it. But I don't think that should be mandatory. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks, Alan. Anyone else on this?

So, as I mentioned, later on this week there'll be a call between Nadira, Carlton, Eduardo, and I. We'll follow up. This process, of course, dealing with the outcomes is not the one that is critical to complete before the start of the Kobe meeting or, indeed, before the start of the selection process. But it's an important one because that is very likely to be what the whole ATLAS investment, because it is a significant amount of money, will be judged on. That I guess would be the concern: to have something that is not only just a tangible output on paper but also that really benefits our community.

I did have one question. Would that introduce – because we see here metrics, but of course, there is a Metrics Group that is, at the moment,

in the leadership program on the second big half of this complete ATLAS III group. Do we expect that there will be some of the metrics from there moving onto the metrics that go on as a follow-up afterwards?

Have I been clear on this? Sorry if I confused everyone.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you, Olivier. Yes, you've probably confused everybody but that's okay. Metrics, like the word "mentoring," is a bandied around term that is often abused. Poor terminologies that I have much passion for. There are always metrics in metrics, just like there are statistics in statistics.

However, one of the things that might be important – here I am speaking as someone with a reasonable amount of background in data elements capture and evidential decision-making work in my real world – is having at the outset an agreed set of expectations, such as the [inaudible] example.

After the Montreal meeting, the ALAC and At-Large community will measure the continued engagement of its ATLAS III participants at a six, twelve, and eighteen month point. That's a metric. That's a measure. That's a reportable outcome.

There are ways of doing it. Metrics goes a long way beyond ticking off an attendance list and counting how many words are written into a commentary document.

So you could look at setting some expectations whereby you undertake a review point at certain point in time. You could look at some form of measurable [inaudible] type of metric, of course, some sort of measurable that says, within each of the regions, you will be seeking to see a specific percentage – then you'll have to decide how you're measuring that percentage – of increased engagement or however many more people from each geographic region and sub-region are involved in current and upcoming GNSO or ccNSO or even – dare I say it – ASO policy development processes. Yes, that type of thing.

So please don't over-abuse the term "metrics," but whilst you're using the term widely, look at your measurable. Thanks.

And preplan them so people know what to expect. A return on investment can be something as simple as getting the monthly repayment done, getting the profit at the end of the quarter, seeing how much the investment has grown at the end of the financial year. Or it can be on a far more dynamic continuous improvement [inaudible]. It doesn't matter which way you go. I'm not trying to say which way you should go. I'm just saying look at what you want to do, state what you want to do, and then, for heaven's sake, do it as part of the process.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Cheryl. I can see a green tick from Alan Greenberg. I think that we are running out of time on today's call, so thanks for these words.

I was going to confuse people even more and say, yes, effectively, you're using for statistical correctness and to be empirically right. Or was it statistically right and empirical correctness? Whichever.

I think that we've got nothing else to discuss today. It's a good update. Is there Any Other Business?

I'm not seeing anyone. Okay. I do note that Carlton did mention here is always taken the offense at the idea of metrics because you can't really accurately measure one's own investment in the ICANN enterprise. We will discuss this further in future calls.

So, ladies and gentlemen, the next call for this Programme Working Group is going to be next Monday. I believe we're doing rotation. Gisella, when is the next – or is it Yesim? – call for this?

YESIM NAZLAR:

Olivier, this is Yesim. So for next week, unfortunately we'll not have interpretation, as the interpreters will be traveling. But if you would like to hold the call without interpretation, it will be 18:00 UTC, according to our rotation.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thanks very much for this, Yesim. Yeah, I do understand that the interpreters will be traveling. I know they have to travel a few days early. Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to not have a call for the next three weeks because we are really set for this – oh, I see that Eduardo will be traveling on that day. I can certainly manage the call. I'm not traveling on next Monday, so that's fine.

So, with this, thanks everyone. So apologies for those who need interpretation for next week. It'll just be for that one week, but we will need to have certainly a lot – well, hopefully more details on the capacity building side of things. That's really the one that is coming very close to the crunch time. So we'll mostly focus on that. It might be a shorter call than usual.

But until then, have a very good week, everybody. I guess we can end the call now. Thank you very much. Goodbye.

YESIM NAZLAR:

Thank you, all. This meeting has now ended. Have a great rest of the day. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]