

---

YEŞİM NAZLAR:

Welcome to the ICANN 64 APRALO Activities Planning Call taking place on Wednesday 20<sup>th</sup> of February 2019 at 5:00 UTC.

On our call today, we have Satish Babu, Maureen Hilyard, Ali Almeshal, and Lianna Galstyan. We haven't received any apologies for this call, and from staff side, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, Jia-Rong Low, Save Vocea, [inaudible] [George Chen], and myself, Yeşim Nazlar, and I will be doing call management for this call.

And just a kind reminder, please, to state your name before speaking for the transcription purposes even though we all know each other. Thank you very much, and now I would like to leave the floor over to Silvia to get the call started please. Over to you. Thank you very much.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay. Hello, everyone. Welcome. Thank you very much for joining. As you may recall, this call is to touch base with you all on the meeting arrangements, agendas, logistics for the two main meetings in which we are working together, the networking event and the meeting with ISOC Japan.

We have seen some e-mails with ideas, with proposals to improve the agenda that we already have posted for the ISOC Japan meeting, and also, we would like to get a bit more details on the idea for the program for the APRALO and APAC Space networking event. So this is basically the objective.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

We are only 15 days away from Kobe. The time is flying by, so that's basically the objective. So with this, I would like to start. If you all agree with this agenda, I would like to give the floor, perhaps, to Jia-Rong, Maureen and others who have been exchanging some useful ideas for the ISOC Japan meeting. So perhaps I don't know if Satish wishes to speak or Maureen or Jia-Rong about this agenda for the ISOC Japan meeting.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I just realized that Satish can't talk because he's in the middle of a conference as well. But I think that just to inform everyone that our Kobe meeting schedule is online at the moment and we have, although the ISOC Japan meeting is on our At-Large schedule, it's actually not going to be on the main schedule. That's only for us. So although we can see the agenda, it's not public. It's only for At-Large and us. It's not for the general public.

I'm just putting the link in for Sunday just so that you can have a look at what we had proposed. I think there have been some minor tweaks to it, but if there is anything else that needs to be tweaked, I'm happy to make some changes. And I'm sorry that Satish isn't able to join the call, although he's listening in. So I was wondering if he might be able to put something into the chat if there was anything that he wanted to let us know about.

Jia-Rong, did you have anything to add to the agenda or to [inaudible] into the agenda?

---

JIA-RONG LOW:

So we had a kind of a hot discussion on e-mail about the agenda for the ISOC Japan meeting, specifically to the second part. So I was suggesting that we can leave some suggestions to ISOC Japan on specifically what can we do working with them.

Now my suggestion is that we can explore with them things like how to leverage on expanding the network so ISOC Japan could gather their members and use the opportunity to meet with APRALO leadership. So that would be one opportunity.

The other opportunity could be something like more interested. We could do a capacity development kind of a session which can focus on not just what APRALO does, but more specifically, how can ISOC Japan, the leadership, organize themselves to reach out to the end user community in Japan and have them participate in ICANN policy development. So I'm quite specific about these two because these two will allow us to use the funding that's available.

So the first one would be more like networking outreach so that one, we can use the CROP funding for it. The second one, which is very specific to capacity development for the purpose of organizing the Japanese community to participate, the Japanese end user community to participate, would fit very well with additional budget requests. So I'm putting these down like that while you can see different forms, of course, just throwing it out there, depending on how ISOC Japan is interested.

So we [don't have to tell them] we will use CROP funding to come. We just tell them, "We are thinking we can come and help you by visiting

---

and we can strengthen our network.” Then from there, we explore collaboration. That would be on the outreach side. Then on the other hand, if ISOC Japan is keen, APRALO leadership can come and do capacity development for you. So it’s putting it this way so they have something concrete they can see.

So the last part related to this is we can use some [inaudible] like basically I’m talking about Vietnam, for example. That’s what we’re looking at or going forward, going to Myanmar, we’re going to try to do that too. So if you continue this momentum that we have established, so those are the suggestions that I have.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Jia-Rong. I just wanted to talk about, for example, the introduction. I just felt that in the first part of the introduction side of things, I am not quite sure how much Atsushi and Kumi actually know about what you do in APAC, and I thought that’s a general introduction looking at the sort of support that you generally give within the region anyway, just as a guide for them for when they do their presentation.

And they specifically asked the APRALO to give them some idea of what the other ALSes do, how they contribute, how they get involved and that kind of thing. So that would come from our point of view, and it would just give an idea of what APAC does, what APRALO does, and then they can talk about their own situation, what it does to leadership and their membership, what their goals are and any activities that they’re currently being involved in, but also what they actually need. And I have impressed on Atsushi that we really do need to know what

---

they think they can do and what kind of support they might need from the discussions we would have had in those introductions.

And I think that when we get up to number two, the sorts of things that you're talking about is exactly the sort of thing that they need to hear and then we can, in that second part, basically, negotiate what might be appropriate as far as support is concerned.

So I think that although this is a very generalized agenda on the actual scheduling thing, I think that what you outlined is very appropriate for what it is that they'll need. And then after that discussion, then they can actually tell us what they think their next steps will be and what they will do, because I think we want to make it that it's not all going to be us helping. It's what can we do to facilitate this ongoing sustainable membership, sustainable leadership, all that kind of stuff. But also as you say, the whole purpose is to get them engaged and involved in some policy thing. If we're doing that, we're trying to do that across the board anyway.

And the sorts of things that we've put into our FY20 requests, or not really requests, but they're sort of observations and concerns that we're raising to the Finance Committee about the sort of things that are important to us as far as our review implementation and ongoing work that we're doing with the ATLAS III is trying to identify leaders now. For ATLAS III, we'd like to see what kind of leadership we can get out of Japan, ISOC Japan especially, to try and see if we can leverage the skills and knowledge, because there's definitely knowledge there. It's just that how can we actually include it into our policy discussions,

---

recognizing that Japanese is not one of the UN languages that we provide for interpretation.

This is the issue and that multilingualism that ICANN's aiming to support. But there are gaps, and so we have to look at how we fill those gaps. Thank you. Are there any other questions or queries?

JIA-RONG LOW: Maureen, totally agree.

ALI ALMESHAL: I have my hand up.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Ali.

JIA-RONG LOW: Ali, go ahead.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Ali, and then Jia-Rong.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks [inaudible], and thanks, Maureen. Yes, I think the agenda looks good and even I agree with Heidi with the point she had just mentioned to be added.

---

Just my question here, Jia-Rong, have we confirmed who will be attending from Japan ISOC or Japan ALS? So we make sure the number of attendees that will be, and the efforts will be put in to organize all of that. So is there any confirmation who will be attending this meeting with us from their side?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

There are only going to be two of them. It's Atsushi Endo and Kumi Mitani. Apparently, there are other members who would normally be there, Tomohiro and another member who is a regular. They're in Tokyo and they can't get down. It's not convenient for them to be able to come down to Kobe for this meeting, and that's why these guys have actually been given the responsibility and they're new and they're panicking. That's basically it.

I'm sure it's only because they're very conscientious, of course, and they want to do what's right. So if we can just give them some ideas to sort of say, "This is what other ALSes do," and Jia-Rong can say, "This is what we do for particular areas and parts of the region." If they can organize events, we can actually suggest ways in which they can do that.

So it's all just as much as we can do to give them some ideas that it will help them get themselves started anyway, a kick start basically.

ALI ALMESHAL:

Yeah, maybe we share some experiences from other ALSes, how they are doing and what activities they are doing and how they are active and bringing their ALSes out there. Totally agree, Maureen.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, excellent. Okay, well, I think we're pretty much ... and I'm not expecting gifts so we don't have to worry about the gift-giving thing there, but I must admit I have brought a few things from home, so if it needs to be, we will definitely have something on hand.

MODERATOR: Okay. Maureen, I see Heidi has her hand raised.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, thank you very much Maureen and Silvia. Jia-Rong, I note that you are not in the AC room, so just a comment which Ali agreed with is on the current agenda where we have several items for the agenda with ISOC Japan, we're just wondering just to take into account what you said, was if we could just add one item between the two introductions and the APRALO and ALAC outreach engagement in Japan or even item four, which is possibility for future collaboration. If we could put in an item on networking, on the networks that you're all bringing to the table, would you agree to that, Jia-Rong? And if so, would that be prior to the item of possibilities for future collaboration?



---

JIA-RONG LOW:

Thanks, Heidi. Yeah, I think we can just in-between, like what Maureen described, like a sharing of experience. Then we can talk a bit about [some introduction slides.] We'll talk more just broadly at a high level, then we can zoom into sharing of experiences, like my side, how do we work with the community here, how do we support the APRALO leadership. And then Ali mentioned about sharing experience of ALS. I think that's great so we should include that. So what are the areas and activities APRALO are looking at? So we can put these things down first so as to give ISOC Japan a sense of what are possible things we can do.

Then after we finish with this portion, then we go to discussing how we can collaborate. I think that slow works up [inaudible] though, so we can just do that.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Right. Okay, then I think that what I'm going to be doing is I'm going to be merging some of the information that is actually on this agenda here, just merging it just so that we're a little bit more specific. But I will put in the networking thing because Jia-Rong actually did mention networking is an important factor anyway. So I think we're set. The guys are very keen. As I said, the Japanese way, they want to do the right thing. And Jia-Rong and his team have got that support network, and we're here as well. The APRALO leadership team is there.

And especially if we can encourage them to come along to the APRALO GF later on in the year, that would be something and we could even have ... If they could encourage more of their members to come along as well, we could do another ALS session with them and others so that

---

they can actually share, and as you say, the networking is really important as well.

And Silvia, I'll make sure that I get those names to you. I just want to make sure that Kumi's name is spelled correctly. I need to check.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you, Maureen. I have a question about the invites. Usually, we send invitations from the At-Large staff account. Would you prefer to send it from your personal account, perhaps, I don't know, Maureen and Jia-Rong explaining briefly the purpose of the meeting as well as if it's in the agenda? Or how would you like to proceed with the invitation?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Personally, we've had a lot of informal sort of chats and I think it would be really nice if you send a formal invitation and it will go to Atsushi because I think he's taking the lead on this particular activity, but inviting him and Kumi.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

So what we can do is I can do a draft e-mail with the formal invitation and send it to you and Jia-Rong for your review so you can see the wording of the invite, and then we can send the calendar invites as well as the email.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD:                    That'll be good.

SILVIA VIVANCO:                    That would be the next step. Okay, perfect.

Heidi has raised her hand.

HEIDI ULLRICH:                    Thank you, Silvia. Maureen, I just wanted to point out that I did put a proposed agenda just based on what I've been hearing, so feel free to look at that when you're looking at the final agenda.

MAUREEN HILYARD:                    Yes, I'm going to do that. Yes, thank you.

JIA-RONG LOW:                    Just to add one more thing, I think one thing just to highlight is just approach the meeting in a very friendly, open way because just as Maureen mentioned, Atsushi may feel a bit pressured. So we will approach it like a friendly, open, building relationships kind of an approach so they won't feel like we're pressuring them to do something. But rather, it's more like really getting back to refreshing the relationship and we are looking at how we can work more closely with you. We come with this mindset, then it will make the meeting a lot more productive in the sense that then they wouldn't fear that "I need to do something because you guys are here," rather that because we really start off with wanting to work with each other.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Definitely.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Very good point. Thank you for that. Any other tips or suggestions on [inaudible] etiquette or anything that we could take into account when having this meeting with them?

MAUREEN HILYARD: No. I don't think that we need to. For them, it's just another ICANN meeting really. It's basically what Atsushi said and so, therefore, it's information sharing, it's networking for them, and I work with these guys in another formal situation and they're ... It's just a normal meeting. It's alright. We'll be fine.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Sounds good. Okay, and Ali has his hand raised.

ALI ALMESHAL: Just about the invitation, so are we going to send only for these two who will be there, or we'll just open it for all Japan ALS or Japan ISOC?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think that this particular meeting, it's a special meeting and it's high level. I think that, for example, there may be opportunities that we may

---

meet up with other people in the social event later. But this particular one is actually their executive wanting some advice.

ALI ALMESHAL: Sorry, Maureen. Maybe I was not clear. I was referring to the board of the Japan ISOC, so maybe we just make it open for all Japan ISOC board. It's not for all of the members on the board, so if we get two or three, that [can be great.]

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, there's only two members of the board coming. These are the two. This is the board. This is the representatives of the ISOC Japan who are going to be in Kobe. So this is who we're talking to. In fact, they don't call it a board. They call it their executive committee.

ALI ALMESHAL: [Okay.]

SILVIA VIVANCO: Any other questions about logistics, perhaps, Gisella or anyone else, do you have any questions about the logistics? I know that Gisella is finding the room or she found it already. I don't know, but she will let us know for sure when the room is set up. This is just a normal table and we are going to have some [inaudible]. I guess we don't need to have a recording and we don't wish to have this meeting recorded, but [we] can be there to talk notes and action items. Gisella has her hand raised. Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Silvia, thank you very much. So we do have a meeting room that is set aside for this meeting. On our schedule, it's in red which means that it's a closed meeting and it will not be published on the main ICANN schedule. So again, it would be useful to make sure that we are coordinated to send out the room details to our guests for this meeting. It will be in the Lilac Room, so I will make sure that we give instructions on where this room is.

Again, there's no recording for this meeting and we will have microphones and there will be technical staff with us there. But if you do decide on a recording for this meeting, we would need to know sooner rather than later, and also, if you're happy with us to put on the meeting door, "Closed Meeting" just to avoid. Again, it depends where the location of this meeting room is. Again, if it's in a quiet corner, I'm sure we will be fine. But otherwise, we tend to put a "Closed Meeting" sign on the door if you're happy with that.

And for name tags, as Silvia mentioned, thank you very much for raising this issue. If we could have the names ahead of time and if you feel that there's any title that needs to be put onto there, again, to blend in with the Japanese etiquette or anything else, it would be very useful for us to have ahead of time. Thank you very much.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Excellent. Very good. Thank you very much, Gisella.

---

So I think with that, we have pretty much all the details covered and if there is something else, Ali is sending us his [inaudible] invitations to all executive team.

Okay, just Maureen, let us know. We drafted the e-mail. Let us know the recipients and then we will send from the staff account and copy APRALO leadership team as well as Jia-Rong. Perfect.

Okay, so I think we can go to the next agenda item if you all agree to have the discussion on the APRALO networking and APAC Space event. So Jia-Rong, if you could give us the idea of what is the program and we can have more details on the speakers and all of the details, please. Thank you.

JIA-RONG LOW:

Thank you. So [Ken] is working on the draft agenda. Basically, it will be quite straight-forward. I will start off with welcome, and I think because it's a joint one, so I will do a welcome, a short welcome speech followed by we'll invite Satish to also give a welcome.

And for me, I will talk more about the APAC community broadly and the purpose of the APAC Social. Therefore, Satish, you can talk more about the APRALO side of the house.

Now after we are done with that, I will trouble you to hand the mic back to me and we will proceed to introduce the community leaders from the APAC region. So it will be community leaders in SO/AC and also those who are taking up leadership positions in the ongoing PDPs.

---

So those, basically, we will send out invites to see who is coming and based on that, we will know who are the leaders there and introduce them.

Because it's going to be a long list, we'll see whether we have the time, but we'll just let them say something really brief. Then when it comes to the APRALO side, I will invite Satish for you to introduce the leadership. So we'll set it up this way. I'm expecting that to take 20 minutes.

After that, we will talk about networking. So if you have not been to one of the APAC Socials, basically, my goal is that the whole idea is to network, and talk to people you have not really talked to. So that is the [program] statement I will be issuing. And I will be going around and if I know that these two people know each other, then I will kind of bring them up and say, "I will show you somebody else so you know who they are." And [inaudible] that's going to be it. Any suggestions or you think we definitely need somebody else to be speaking, let me know.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Jia-Rong. Heidi has her hand raised.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think Gisella has her hand raised. I'm not sure if that's an old hand, Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: Apologies. Old hand.



---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you. Jia-Rong, I've noted down sort of the rough agenda that you just noted. I'm wondering when you introduce the community leaders and when Satish introduces the APRALO leaders, are they up front and they just turn and wave or do they say a little bit? Or how is that going to be?

JIA-RONG LOW: I think it's more practical to try to gather them to the front. So on my side, when we know who's coming, we'll send them a note and say, "Come forward." But when I'm doing the introduction, I'll actually do that. Some will be shy so they will just stay where they are, and if that's the case, then that's fine. But we'll try to gather them to the front. So for APRALO leadership, [inaudible] come towards the front.

One other challenge we don't really know at this point is the set up of the location. So we'll kind of only know later, closer to the day, but we've asked for microphones and all that, so that's the main thing.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, Ali has his hand raised.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks, Silvia. I was just wondering, Jia-Rong, [inaudible] the APRALO Chair and then the introduction to [inaudible]. My suggestion is maybe if you want to have the welcome by the ALAC chair which is Maureen at this point and you start after [inaudible] and then you have number four

---

on the suggested agenda, that introduction by APRALO chair, [I don't know about Satish.] I'm just trying to fit the [inaudible] points of that, so it's just a suggestion. It's up to you.

JIA-RONG LOW: Maureen, go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. I just wanted to say I would rather not. I think because it's an APRALO-APAC thing, I think Satish should actually be the one who represents APRALO. Thank you, Ali. It just compounds it if you're going to bring in the ALAC. And I know that I'm a member of the APRALO and no doubt, we will be mentioned. But I'd really prefer, and I know that Jia-Rong would like to keep it as simple as possible. And I think that from my perspective, I'd like Satish to actually be the formal person to be acknowledged leading APRALO at this event. Okay?

JIA-RONG LOW: So I was going to suggest exactly the same. So I agree with you, Maureen. Because the host is APAC and APRALO event, so I'd rather Satish lead at the beginning. In any case, we will be introducing the committee leaders and Maureen being in ALAC, that's something which we definitely will profile. So it will come later, but we start off with Satish [at least.]

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Is there any other questions on this? Ali again [inaudible].

ALI ALMESHAL: Just a quick update, because you have talked about looking for more funding for the networking event [inaudible] as we call it. On that subject, I have reached out and received some update from [ICS] from China. They are very much interested to do that and they are willing. The only point is how to get this [money out.] So they are trying to figure out a way to get this [money] out and they have no problem with supporting and sponsoring the event with around \$2,000. So I'm just waiting for the confirmation if they can manage to get this and virtually, we will get our money there. If there is no way to get this money, then that will be the difficult point of doing that. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, excellent. Thank you very much, Ali, for that.

I have a question for Jia-Rong. Do you recall? We usually post in our At-Large website. We create a website for what we used to call the showcases. I have put there on the chat the latest one that we had in Abu Dhabi where we put the picture of the speakers, the program, the name of the venue and it's a way to promote and to social media or by e-mail this event. This would be something that we can do and post the names of the speakers and the details of the venue that they can find and as well as the agenda. Would that be something that is possible?

JIA-RONG LOW: So I think it can work either way. So because we're keeping it [inaudible] all we need really is to have as many people participate as possible so

---

---

that will be the main thing. But if, say, we want to have a website, then it will be ... I'm not so sure what we want to put on it. We can probably put more photos after than to put before. So it's going to be a challenge, I think personally.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay, thank you. I understand. Okay, maybe we can have the website and just the date and the name of the event and then [we've got links to the sights and sounds,] and then we can add some pictures and the happenings of the cocktail or reception. So we can do that. And we can have a photographer at the event. [inaudible] a few photos exactly, and you can take photos and tweet the photos, etc. Exactly, okay. Very good. And Gisella, you have some comments?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Yes, thank you very much, Silvia. Just to say with regards to what Ali said about the funding, just before we go any further, and please do correct me if I'm wrong, Jia-Rong and Ken, but Ken and I have already worked on the catering funding and the numbers, and Ken with our additional funding from DotAsia and APNIC as well as the At-Large contribution towards this event, Ken has already finalized the catering with our Meetings team. And at this late stage in the game, on the 20<sup>th</sup> of February, that's UTC time, we're not able to make any changes to the catering.

So if we were to get additional funding for this networking event, we worked with the funding before. And please, Ken and Jia-Rong, do let

---

me know if I'm wrong here. But according to Meetings team, the cut-off for catering was on the 8<sup>th</sup> of February.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, Jia-Rong.

JIA-RONG LOW: Yeah, so I was [going to raise] about funding issue. So basically, I think based on what we have, we will be fine. So it's \$2,400 in total contributions from different ... Sorry. Did I say \$2,400 or is it \$5,000? I can't remember the number exactly, but the figure that we have catered for and the amount that is corresponding with it is the final amount.

So what we need now is not additional funding. So if the ISC wants to fund, it will not be for this event. I don't think it will be ... It can go anywhere, so that's [inaudible].

A second related point to this is more logistical. So we said this offline, but I was asking Ken for an update on how would DotAsia and APNIC pay, because Meetings team deduct the funds from our budget pool so there is no interaction between us and the venue, but if we have sponsors from external sponsors, then they have to find a way to pay ICANN. So this is the bit that needs to be worked out and we need some guidance from Gisella or Silvia, because previously where we had the APRALO showcase, we would have sponsors as well for the event. How did the sponsors pay? So that's the thing that we need to address because if they can't pay, we are still stuck.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Exactly. I see Gisella, you have your hand raised for this.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, thank you very much. Just Jia-Rong to respond to your point there, I'm following up with Melanie because she did let us know that at some venues, the sponsors can pay the hotel directly for the catering and that's what we have done in the past because we do not want to enter into any sponsorship agreement with ICANN. So I have literally just written an e-mail to her during this call because I haven't yet heard from her to ask what the update is and how we're going to proceed. And I'm hoping that the response to that will be that APNIC and DotAsia can pay the hotel directly. In that case, we will work with our contacts on that and make sure that they're aware of the payment procedure for this event. And if I do get to hear back from them, I will make sure that I keep you all in the loop. Thank you very much.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you very much, Gisella. Yes. Please go ahead, Jia-Rong.

JIA-RONG LOW: So coming back to the question of additional sponsorship, Ali, maybe at this point, we don't really need it. So if the ISC really, really wants to pay, we will have nowhere to put the money.

---

ALI ALMESHAL: Sorry, Jia-Rong, because you know what happened, I have initiated the outreach and the meetings there have started [inaudible] member of staff to look after [inaudible] from your end and leadership team and staff, so maybe some more funding and some more [inaudible] people have [inaudible]. So continuing on my first mission initiative.

But anyhow, if we are not going to use the money from the ICS, so shall I write to them and say on a different page, we are fine and just to send this communication and instead of keep trying, or what do you suggest?

JIA-RONG LOW: I think it's fine. Just close the loop with ISC and say, "Thank you. We are fine now, so we don't really need it, but if another opportunity comes up, we will take it up again."

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'm just jumping in here. We did consider approaching ISC very, very early in the piece and well before the 8<sup>th</sup> of February, and there was some doubt from Kaili as to whether they would offer. If they've done so since, I agree with Jia-Rong, it's a little bit late, but at the same time, they're welcome to come, of course.

I don't think we should push it for this event. There may be other networking possibilities, Ali, which you are actually involved in with regards to APRALO's outreach type of activities that we could be, perhaps if they're willing, but I'm not quite sure what other events are being proposed by the APRALO leadership team with regards to extra outreach apart from the ISOC Japan thing which we're doing. But if

---

there's anything else, I'm not quite sure and I don't know if it's appropriate to be bringing it into this particular, into this meeting. I don't know.

Is there anything else that's being arranged, Ali?

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes, Maureen, say that again.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Are there any other things being arranged, like for example, around the booth? Remember we were talking about bringing some special guests, and also, I think, [well, the APAC team's the special guest,] and scheduling them in to come and for people to come and meet the APAC team at the booth, and Jia-Rong and his team – or just the team because I know Jia-Rong is always busy anyway – could bring any brochures or things, or anything that actually is from the APAC Hub itself. So we can actually do a promotion of partners from within the AP region. But I don't want to intrude on anything that you might have already organized.

JIA-RONG LOW: Yeah, if you really think about it, it's [inaudible] utilize if they are also interested [inaudible] about how you can get it. But it's bound to be a little bit complicated for them. [inaudible] to tell them we are fine now.

But yes, on the booth, we would like to have the Japan community to [inaudible] promote the At-Large. So we are communicating now to the



---

Outreach and Engagement Committee what things and what activity, because it's a shared one, APRALO outreach and engagement and ICANN [booth as well. That's as far as I know.] So I think I will stop there, so let us see what we can do.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Excellent. Ok. I see Gisella. You would like to speak?

GISELLA GRUBER: Apologies, Silvia. Old hand.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Okay, I think Heidi had the question before if the catering is set. I believe it is already organized by Jia-Rong and his team. Right? So we can check that off.

Okay, so I think if you don't have any other comments, questions, we have pretty much covered all the details for the networking and outreach event. We are going to make sure to take pictures first week and promote this event, this [nice] gathering on social media.

And we go to next steps. Any other questions or comments? Ali, please.

---

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes, thanks, Silvia. This is for Jia-Rong. What about the B meeting arrangement? Is it still there? Because I remember from the last call that we are still looking to it and looking [inaudible], there is a possibility to bring the students to the ICANN meeting and then get them engaged through the outreach and engagement and some other program. So are we still on for that, or what is the status?

JIA-RONG LOW: Yes. So just literally this morning, Yannis on DotAsia just shared the flyer for the event and Akinori and another Japanese community member has helped to publicize this, so it's going ahead. Fingers crossed will get the students we need.

The plan now is for Saturday, 9<sup>th</sup> of March. So we will work on having the students come together, the Japanese students come together and have a one-day program where they can learn some basic Internet governance basics in-depth. Then towards the evening time, then they will have some networking amongst themselves and we'd also like to invite mentors to come at that time.

So after this call, I'll work with Joyce and Ken share the flyer details with you, and I'm not sure whether you guys would have arrived already on Saturday or not.

ALI ALMESHAL: So Jia-Rong, they want to stay for the whole week of the meeting, or it's only on Saturday?

---

JIA-RONG LOW:

We are [inaudible] the students that will stay for the meeting. So what will happen is on Saturday, they will meet you, whoever is able to be a mentor. If possible, they will meet you on Saturday. If not, then they will come for the newcomer session on Sunday where we can arrange for them to meet you as well. Then we will group them into smaller groups so that a few are assigned to a mentor at any one time and they will be at the venue throughout the week.

Perhaps it would be easier to take this offline. We will share the information with this group. Then we will maybe ask more specifics like who would like to volunteer and basically be a mentor for them? Maybe once a day, we catch up with them or they can follow you for your meeting, this kind of thing.

So we will put this down and then see how many mentors we've got. Then we take it from there. How does that sound?

ALI ALMESHAL:

Yes, thanks. Then let's take this offline [inaudible]. We need to arrange something for them as the mentors and [inaudible] different meeting and maybe we involve the Outreach and Engagement Committee as a working group with this. I'm happy to take this offline with you. Thank you.

JIA-RONG LOW:

Excellent. Thank you. Thank you so much.

---

SILVIA VIVANCO: Jia-Rong, so if I understood well – this line was not too clear for me – is this sponsored by DotAsia, the students coming to visit?

JIA-RONG LOW: Yeah. So the Saturday event is organized by DotAsia but the students we are targeting will already be planning to come for the ICANN meeting because the Japanese government is sponsoring a number of their own fellows, so these are all Japanese students and they are being funded by the government to go to the ICANN meeting. So the thing now is they come to the ICANN meeting, but we wanted them to have a more immersive experience.

So the best way is to have them have a pre-event, like a one-day program, like on Saturday. Then they can network with each other and then when they come for the ICANN meeting itself, they will have some mentors that they can reach out to, that they can ask for advice and all that.

So the mentors are the ones who will need support and [inaudible] outreach committee can volunteer to support that, and it will make the whole experience a wonderful one.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Very interesting. So that is going to be on Saturday [inaudible]?

ALI ALMESHAL: Yeah. So the event organized for DotAsia will be on Saturday, but the mentors, those need to be involved in that the whole day. But it will be

---

nice if they can be there. But after that, the mentors will need to be involved for the rest of the week.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Please, if you would be so kind to please let us know as you know more details, because we have a full schedule of meetings and they may be able to join our sessions and see our work within the community and the collaboration which happen with you and on the other groups as well.

JIA-RONG LOW: Okay, no problem.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, so let's put this as follow-up. Okay, so I think that's all. If you have any questions or any additional comments. I believe we can close this call. Would you like to have another follow-up call next week or would you prefer to continue just by e-mail?

MAUREEN HILYARD: E-mail for me.

JIA-RONG LOW: So I would suggest by e-mail be the easiest because next week, I'm going to be in Japan already.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, I agree.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I understand. Okay. Everybody will be already packing very soon. So thank you so much, everyone. Safe travels if we don't talk again until we see each other. So safe travels and see you soon. And we'll keep talking through e-mail. Thank you. Bye-bye now.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Silvia.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you again.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thanks, all.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you. Bye-bye.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you all. This meeting is now ended. Have a lovely rest of the day.  
Bye bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**