
ANDREA GLANDON: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the LACRALO Board call, held on Wednesday, the 13th of February, 2019, at 22:00 UTC.

On today's call, we have Adrian Carballo, Ricardo Holmquist, Sergio Salinas Porto, Lilian Ivette De Luque, Carlos Leal, Harold Arcos, and Humberto Carrasco.

We have apologies from Vanda Scartezini.

From staff we Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Andrea Glandon, on call management.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes and to please you phones and microphones on mute when not speaking to avoid any background noise.

Thank you, and over to you, Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Andrea. Good evening, good afternoon, to you all. We heard some background noise, so please make sure that you mute all your cellphones so that we can proceed with the meeting and we can have no interferences in our discussion.

We have already completed the roll call. Now that I have done the welcome remarks, we have nine items on our agenda. The first two have already been completed. Then we have the approval of the

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

agenda, and then how we have gotten to the LACRALO Board. We are going to give you some background information, and then we will have the objectives of the working group, and then the active participation and engagement of ALAC members, 7) expected outcomes, 8) the next steps, and 9) the 2019 strategy for LACRALO for fiscal year 2019.

Vanda Scartezini has talked to me and [Marta Lotelas] has also contacted me. They were having some schedule blackouts, so they might not be able to join us for the entire meeting. Perhaps they can join us during the meeting. There isn't apologies because that was the problem they were having, and they weren't sure if they would be able to join us.

Let me ask whether you agree with this agenda or if you want to add another topics. Otherwise, I will proceed to Agenda Item 4: How we [reached] the LACRALO Board.

I see that no one is asking for the floor, so I will proceed to the next item. If you recall, during the last few days of the LACRALO [rights and] principles were adopted. In one of the sections, we made reference to the creation of a Board. The Board would be made up of multiple leaders. It would be a space where those who are leading the working group would join the chair and the secretary and the three ALAC members – the two elected by our region and a third member selected by the NomCom; in this case, Ricardo, who has joined us for this call.

Silvia here has indicated that this is a faithful coordination among individuals with leadership positions in LACRALO.

Why is it important for us to have a Board? Although we don't have the role of procedures for the operation of the Board – and this is a process that the Governance Group has to initiate. In the next few months within ICANN in our region, we should be able to put this Board into operation, make it fully operational.

So, this is a call in which perhaps we will not have so much detailed information, but it is just the first step in our interest to start making decisions collectively to determine how our region is going to operate from now on.

So, we have had several discussions with many of you, and we have reached the conclusion that we need to look at the region and have a proactive region with individuals who are fully engaged in the discussion at the grassroots level within ICANN. And it is important not to have just two people looking into these issues but many more.

So, this is a short explanation of how we have gotten to LACRALO. I want to apologize to Harold because the one who should have proceeded with the adoption of the agenda was Harold, but I moved on.

Then, on Agenda Item 5, we will have a presentation of objectives of each working group within LACRALO. Here with that with have some leaders of the working groups, but others are not on the call. So, the leaders of the working groups will have some time, a few minutes – three or more minutes – to explain to the rest of the group what the objectives of each working group are.

So, I would like to ask first Adrian to take the floor. He's the first one here on the list in the AC room, so I will give the floor first to Adrian so

that he can introduce his working group, what the objectives of the group are, and what are the main tasks that they are going to pursue.

ADRIAN CARBALLO: Thank you, Sergio. Can you hear me well?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, we can.

ADRIAN CARBALLO: Well, let me tell you that I am putting together a draft working plan for 2019. I think that this will be enough information for the purpose of this call.

As Sergio said, we want to have active engagement of the ALSes and the individual members who would like to join us, and we will be working on a variety of topics. We would like to have a survey with open and closed questions to understand the levels of participation in LACRALO. We will also try to see what is necessary for other ALSes to participate more actively.

After this survey, in English we will try to have a look at all the comments on the topics and see how we can move ahead with some capacity building activities.

So, we will try to come up with the content for the working group, the legal aspects, the structure, and how each structure should operate, and then what are the authorities of the ALSes, what are the funding

sources of the ALSes, what are the initiatives, and what are the sources they have.

We would also like to have information about the ICANN policies, the PDPs, the complete definition and the scope, the DNS technical aspects the commercial aspects of DNS, the registries, the registrars, and aspects related to online services.

And we can have a defined format. We can set some schedule for training, some definite period of time for training. We can look into the possibilities of having some funding from ICANN to plan tasks based on the results of the surveys.

So, this is more or less what we have been considering in order to come up with a concrete proposal.

And, as an additional issue, as you know, we have the Southern School of Internet Governance that deals with capacity building. There are [seeds] or fellowship for ALSes and for other people who might not be ALSes who can have access to those fellowship and in order to expand their knowledge. Then, I'm going to review the list in English and in Spanish with a call for the fellowships that will be closed on February 25th.

As Sergio said, these represent a significant challenge ahead. We are just beginning taking the first steps. It will take us some time. The Capacity Building Group, under my leadership, would like to have as many members as possible in order to have a good transfer of knowledge and also to work together with the Communications Group [and others] that cut across all the activities of LACRALO.

Having said this, I would like to know whether there are any questions or any comments.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Adrian. I see that Silvia is raising her hand. Before giving the floor to Silvia, let me ask whether there are any questions for Adrian.

Harold is asking for the floor, so first I'll give the floor to Silvia and then Harold. Go ahead, Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I just wanted to say that there is a mailing list for this working group. You have it there. So, please use that list. Adrian and Alfredo perhaps can have another call to raise interest among people to join the group.

As you know, with Rodrigo De La Parra and Rodrigo Salcedo's group, we will have a LACRALO call that is also a space for capacity building.

So perhaps these initiatives could be coordinated and we can think together about the speaks that could participate in these activities.

GSE is also supporting us with prizes, as you know. There is a raffle among those that participate more actively [in] more training sessions.

So, I would encourage Adrian to get in contact with Rodrigo Salcedo to coordinate the webinars. Thank you. That will be all.

[ADRIAN CARBALLO]: Thank you, Silvia. Now I'll give the floor to Harold, and then to Ricardo.

HAROLD ARCOS:

Thank you, Sergio. I don't want to repeat what Silvia has already said, but I just want to say that, based on previous discussions, we have already talked about the possibilities for having some coordination with GSE. The webinar strategy is not the only one. There is another important element that is being discussed right now, and I am going to share it as part of the Social Media Working Group. And that has to do with how to deal with all the knowledge that is available on ICANN and how to do outreach and take it to the different parts of the community through powerful tool, such as social media. That is another convergence point, where we can have some coordination between the working groups.

I can hear some typing.

I think that here you have convergence between the Communications Group, led by Lilian, and the Capacity Building Group, which is currently looking into this issue and trying to step up to this challenge: how to expand the knowledge about ICANN. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Before we continue, let me remind you that those of you who are working with a mobile or a network, please mute them.

Now, regarding what Harold was saying, there are three groups that cut across all topics, which are training, governance, and communication. I say that they are cross-cutting because their interests are shared.

Now, I will give the floor to Ricardo.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST:

I hope you can hear me. You already mentioned the GSE portion, or the ICANN org coordination portion, with the ICANN staff. But there is another group with which we have to coordinate training, which is outreach and engagement. And that is from ALAC because coordination is not just towards the side of ICANN org but it should also be with Outreach and Engagement. There, Maritza Aguero is the representative for the region in that group.

That group is also responsible for a significant part of the capacity building for training, so we should not be overlapping our efforts. We might, with Ricardo Salcedo or Rodrigo De La Parra, do some training on a topic that ALAC is going to be giving next week.

So, the idea is to coordinate both efforts. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Ricardo, for your excellent point. Let me say here that the working methodology of these working groups require – that’s mandatory – something I did not say the beginning. Working groups operate over two months through conference calls, so they should work through the mailing list as well.

The responsibility of the working group and members is to work in the other groups with the equivalent names of ALAC. So, those of us who work in communications should work in social media. In the case of capacity building, we should also work in Martiza’s group, where Maritza is the Vice-Chair.

So, that will result – or that’s at least our expectation – in an increased [inaudible] from our region and a significant involvement in ALAC on everyday issues.

So, thank you, Ricardo. I don’t know if your hand is old or you want to say something else.

Okay. So, the next is Lilian. Lilian, please, you have the floor.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE:

I hope you can hear me well.

Great. I wanted to share, while we wait for the presentation to upload, that the LACRALO Communications Working Group has the mission to develop, maintain, and strengthen initiatives and continue to improve communications and get engaged in these strategies of outreach and global strategies of the ICANN ecosystem to contribute to timely knowledge and awareness of governance throughout the region.

We are eight members [ourselves] today in this group, so we intend to find more people to work in this very important group.

I have [set out] very preliminary guidelines for the work to be carried out. The first is an internal outreach strategy within LACRALO and ICANN, then external outreach through the ALSes, social media management, because we want to restore some accounts we have on Facebook/Twitter and set up an Instagram. And why not develop a website? And also circulate a newsletter among ALSes, informing about events and the latest news of LACRALO and ICANN.

We could replicate the e-mails that we receive from other parties, but we should disseminate or circulate them among ALSes in a summary format for them to send them to the end users.

The working group should work in a dynamic manner with meetings and calls, with all the tools available – mailing list – and the produce a report with the most relevant issues in the Social Media Working Group to be abreast of what is being discussed and see how we can enhance participation [and] to disseminate the activities carried out by ALSes in their region.

This is very important in the document that Harold sent to us with the list of ALSes. So, we could customize the e-mails to each of them so that they can keep us informed about what they do in their countries, what events they are organizing, and then let all that be known here by way minor measurement or assessment of how ALSes are working in their regions.

Also, the calls, the invitations, for participation in the working group – we will have a call by the end of next week to organize the starting of the actions because we intend to set up the teams. We are already eight people now. We need more. But nevertheless, we want to do teamwork, and all decisions that are made are based on consensus and according to the objectives.

So these are the preliminary, very general guidelines of what we intend to do. This is a major challenge, but here we are to change it. The idea is to see communications globally, internally and externally, that everything is disclosed and that people are informed. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Lilian. Your presentation has been very precise. It is now the turn – I want to welcome Vanda. Vanda has arrived, and just on time because she will be the last to take the floor. Adrian has already presented. She arrived when Lilian was presenting. And now it's the time to give the floor to Carlos Leal.

So, Carlos, you have your minutes to present. Go ahead.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Please, Carlos, speak louder, because you're very faint.

Carlos is speaking, but still very faint.

If you are on AC, if you can please get closer to the computer mic, that'd be very helpful.

Well, Carlos, I'm sorry, but I'm being told that, unfortunately, we cannot hear you well. The interpreters need to translate into English. I don't know if you want us to dial you out and we move forward with the next person. In that case, Carlos, please give us the telephone number for our operator to dial you out.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: So, Carlos, if you're so kind to type your number in the chat – your phone number with the country code – you will be dialed out right away.

Now, I will give the floor to Vanda so she can present on her working group.

She was about to send her presentation. Actually, I have to confess that she sent it to me, and I did not forward it. I apologize, Vanda, but, Vanda, if you're so kind to start anyway.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Can you hear me?

Well, okay.

While the presentation is uploaded, I don't know if you have already referred to the relationship with ICANN, so we're not going to revisit the discussions on policy and names.

The main cross-community groups in the community are discussing issues that are of high interest. There are other issues that are being discussed that of high interest to ICANN but not so much for the end users because these are technical in nature or [are] the work of the registries and registrars. Our interest is the end users, so we have to find [specifications]. So, this is the important goal of our group.

We are going to discuss the procedures for the new domain names when there is eventually a new round for the new gTLDs. We are about to complete the work.

HAROLD ARCOS:

Sorry, Vanda, but your audio is highly distorted, to saturated.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: What about it now?

HAROLD ARCOS: If you're so kind to move a little bit further away from the mic so that you're not oversaturated.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: The problem is that, when people speak low, I try to get closer [to that].

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Your mic is too loud. Your headset audio is very high.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Vanda, our interpreters are telling us that it's rather difficult to interpret you. So, perhaps we can dial you out.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Okay. I'm going to give my phone number so that you can dial me out.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: While Vanda gets connected and Carlos – I don't know if Carlos is already connected with us. Carlos, are you connected with us?

CARLOS LEAL: Can you hear me better now?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, we can hear you. Go ahead.

CARLOS LEAL: I apologize for the problems with communication earlier. We are having some difficulties here, but it is a pleasure for me to be part of the WHOIS Working Group. Actually, it is a great opportunity because the WHOIS is an important protocol that will allow us to have access to information that ICANN has been maintaining since the 1990s, and it is a very interesting tool.

We know that, now, there are new rules in place that are trying to do away with the possibility to prevent some certain hacking situations, so it is quite an interesting area to work in.

We have put together a small working plan. The challenges have to do with looking at the WHOIS operation. We want to make sure that there should be a good introduction, a good relationship, between GDPR and WHOIS.

I don't know if there are any questions.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I don't think there are questions. If you are done, we will check to see whether Vanda already has an audio connection now, if she's already on the bridge.

Okay. Vanda, you will have the floor now. Thank you, Carlos, for your participation.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Thank you, Carlos. Okay. So, I will repeat quickly what I tried to describe earlier. I lead the GNSO Generic Domain Names Group. There are issues that are of high interest to users. We will focus on those issues, and we'll not focus so much on those that have to do with the registries or the registrars or highly technical issues.

So, there are two sets of issues to deal with: the new domain names for the new round – that is the new gTLD Subsequent Procedures. That title – there are five subgroups. Since we already coming to the end of this work, Group Number 5 focuses on geographic names. That is the work track that is still operating, that is still having discussions.

There is a group that is analyzing all the answers provided by the community. So, I already shared – and I will shared it again – all the links so far. There are six participants of our group, and I think that it is very important to follow up on these issues. But, we need more people to join us.

The other group that we are about to complete but is still having a lot of discussions focuses on the public consultation on the auction proceeds. This relates to the first round of the new gTLDs. Whenever there was a dispute between two or three applicants for the same domain name, when they were applying for the same domain name string, then those disputes were not solved, so they ended up in an auction procedure.

There are proceeds coming out of those auctions, so a lot of money was raised through those auctions. We are talking about \$35 million.

So, the decision was made to use that money to support projects that could be applied for by anyone anywhere in the world following certain procedures. So, in the Auction Proceeds Group, work is being done to set the criteria to determine how we are going to proceed. Is there going to be an ICANN department in charge of dealing with those proceeds? These are different alternatives under discussion.

So, here, you have the links to all the information about these discussions. There are documents. These are [leaven] documents because we are in the middle of the discussions. We also have a link with information for those who are interested in becoming observers. All members have the right to speak and to give their opinion in any discussion.

So, I think that the plan is to discuss these interesting issues to clarify the rules, come up with ideas that LACRALO can contribute to those discussions, and help the formulation of solutions within LACRALO that can be conveyed by the LAC representatives as a formal position of LAC.

So, I encourage you to participate in this group. On the LACRALO website, there is a link to our group and to other groups. So, I would be happy to welcome any of you who would be interested in joining us in this group.

We will start having some specific calls, but first, we need to have some discussion through the mailing list until we can set a specific date for our call.

So, thank you for giving me the opportunity to make my own contributions through this group. Of course, you are all invited to join us and to ask questions from colleagues. There is no hierarchy in this group. We have a group of friends who are going to discuss issues of interest for all of you.

Thank you, Sergio, for giving me the chance to speak here.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Vanda. Now it is my turn because I would have to talk about the Governance Working Group. I'm going to be very brief.

As you know, we undertook a process to come up with the operating principles and metrics document for LACRALO. Now, the big challenge ahead of us is to finalize the rules of procedure.

The process will surely start next week or the following week. It will depend on whether we have enough time before the Kobe meeting. Otherwise, we will start doing that work after the Kobe meeting. We will start coming up with rules of procedure in order to implement the operating principles.

We should not forget we need to add all the provisions relating to the participation of individual users, but we also need to determine how the Board is going to operate, how we are going to connect all these with the metrics, and how the meetings, the assemblies, will be held.

So, in the operating principles, we have a number of articles, of sections, and then we will have to establish the rules of procedure for those sections.

So, there are six or seven members in the group, and all of them will make an effort to have the rules of procedure already in place in May.

Silvia is also talking about the Emeritus Council. Yes, here we need also some tweaks, adjustments, refinements, but I guess that by May we will have the four main themes of our Governance Working Group ready and finalized in order to turn them into something more concrete, working under new rules in the region.

That is all that I can say. Now I'll give the floor to the three ALAC members. The first one on the list is Humberto, if I'm not mistaken. So, Humberto, go ahead. You have a couple of minutes to tell us where you are participating right now.

Let me say something before giving the floor to Humberto. These working groups should serve as an input for the ALAC members. They should support the ALAC members so that the ALAC members feel relieved of the work, but also they can have some support for decision making with the ALAC.

So, join these working groups, please. Get on board, and try to get them to start providing some answers.

Humberto, you have the floor.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Can you hear me?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, Humberto. We can hear you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I apologize because I'm driving, so sometimes I lose connection. Actually, I just wanted to say that I'm participating in two groups within the ALAC: the Finance and Budget Sub Committee and the ICANN64 Planning Group.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Humberto, are you there?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Hello?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I think that we lost you for a minute.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. Now we can hear you. We lost you for a few seconds.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Humberto, we lost you but now we can hear you again.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: What I was saying is that I'm participating in these two groups. I have occasionally participated in other working groups, dealing with ATLAS III.

Right now, I don't have my notes with me, but they have a lot of meetings, so it is a little bit difficult for me to be fully up to date with all the discussions [and] those sub groups. Don't forget that I've recently become an ALAC members, so I'm trying to get up to date also with the tasks of an ALAC member, which are different from the ones that I used to do. The statements and the drafting processes take some time. Then we have the public comment period, and you have to get used to that, too.

So, for ALAC members, it is complicated because you also need to participate in votes. So, I think that the vote proposed by Sergio will enable us to convey information and exchange information more easily.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Humberto.

Are you there?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Ricardo, are you there? We cannot here you.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: Hello, everyone. I hope you can hear me now. Well, like Humberto, I am in the Finance Group. I worked on the request for consulting about the

extension of the budget period from one to two years: the 2021-2025 plan, and the 2019 fiscal year work.

I also work in the working group on the ALAC review. I will personally be responsible for Item Number 6 of the review, which is the review on the working group.

In addition, as an ALT member, part of my work in ALAC is to oversee what outreach and engagement is doing because several of the working groups we've mentioned before will have to do outreach and engagement, not just education or training but also other working groups as well.

So, virtually all working groups have been complete in their work, 1 to 5. For the new stage of the new gTLDs, there are complete comments [available on that]. The Work Track 2 on finance and administration is already finished. We are about to start with number three. But the ALAC has appointed Sebastien Bachollet as the only person there because it wasn't a requirement to appoint one person per region. It was just very few people because the working group has only now started – what will be eventually Work Stream 3 or the ATRT3 with is the review of the ICANN.

So, this is all on my side. I'm always here, available to the region. If there's anything you consider, such as it was the case of WT5, we can always discuss it. I will bring it to the table. But for the time being, there is nothing being discussed that requires joint coordination beside outreach and engagement, which I'm on now. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Ricardo. Now we will give the floor to Bartlett. We welcome him. I personally want to convey a big hug to Bartlett because it's a long time since we've seen him.

So, please, Bartlett, go ahead.

BARTLETT MORGAN: Hi, everybody. I'm just trying to understand exactly the context of what's going on here. So, as one of your ALAC members, I presume that what we're really sharing is what's going on on the ALAC that is of importance or interest to the working group, and by extension, I take it to mean what we perhaps may need from this Board going forward.

Now, as you will have seen from the last LACRALO meeting, where I gave the presentation on the activities of the ALAC, you'll realize a quite a bit of what we're doing now in terms of policy, focused primarily on stuff to do with planning, finance, and budget-related issues, in addition to stuff to do with WT5, which Vanda already spoke at length about.

Now, I just want to briefly spoke on one thing, which is the different working groups and so on that we're creating here. I have one request, which is – and I heard said earlier, and I just want to parrot it – I want the persons who [inaudible] working groups to also make an attempt to get involved at the ALAC level because the meetings of the ALAC are open meetings. In particular the Consolidated Policy Working group is very much wide open, and anybody can attend if they so wish. Once they are a member of any RALO or ALS or a representative of any RALO, you can attend.

Ultimately, so long as we can keep in mind that that's were here, which is to push the policy agenda of ICANN, then I think we can appreciate why that might be a good thing.

Thank you very much.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Bartlett, for your comment. The working group will have parallel work within the ALAC working group structure. That is why we have designed these working groups. Some of them are internal. Others are cross-cutting groups. Some of them are very internal, such as LACRALO governance, but we could also work with the ALAC Group on Metrics because it is very much related to what we've been working on in our working group. Other groups have to work on pure policy. So, those people who are working in these groups will meet every two months over a teleconference, and they will be working through mailing lists.

Now, beyond that, which is the work within the region, these working groups will be working also within the ALAC working groups. So, for the three ALAC members we have, our intention is for you to join any of the internal LACRALO working groups and assist us and guide us so that you can take the input from the collective work of the region. Quite probably, there is a topic being discussed in ALAC or in ICANN and we are also discussing it in LACRALO.

So, when it comes the time for a decision to be made, it is very healthy and a good practice that each of you consult the region to see what the region thinks about a certain topic. Quite probably, the working group

engaged in this topic might say, “Well, we think this or that,” and then you might fit your views on what the region is contributing. It’s like support – it’s like a walking stick – before issuing an opinion in ALAC.

Now, besides that, we need to know now in which – you, Bartlett – working groups you are now working so that we can devise a more profound accompaniment structure of our working group so that we can assist our ALAC members so we can support your work and make it easier, make it lighter.

So, please, Bartlett, in just a few seconds, because we’re about to close this call, will you please tell us which working groups you are now involved in so that we can see how to direct the Board, the Directors Working Group? So, please, Bartlett.

BARTLETT MORGAN:

The short answer is I’m not involved in any active working groups right now. But the long answer is, as it regards involvement in those working groups, you’re not involved in those working groups as a representative of LACRALO. In other words, I am not an ex officio member of any working group that I’ve been involved with as a representative of LACRALO per se. So, I’m not sure that that’s necessarily where we need resource allocation in terms of support as your ALAC members.

As ALAC members, keep in mind, our mission is primarily policy development and policy support. So, that’s where I’d need ALAC support: whenever there’s a policy issue being decided by the ALAC. That’s where I’d want the ALAC members to jump in. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thanks to you, Bartlett. In my very humble opinion, I have also been an ALAC member myself. The bottom-up principle provides that all definitions and all work carried out by the ALAC member has to start from the base. The base for us the region. That is one of the practices: to consult, to look for support, in the colleagues, in the other members, that have elected him to be appointed ALAC member.

So, I will now move on to the next issue. I will put on a [halt] the expected results because that's something that we've been already discussing, which will be to continue making a proper order of this Board work. So, we'll see what the next steps will be probably next month or a week before the LACRALO call, the LACRALO meeting.

So, now I will move to the strategy FY19 of outreach and engagement. If you give us five additional minutes to explain this, I would appreciate it.

So, Silvia, can you please check with the interpreters if they can give us a few extra minutes?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, Sergio. Go ahead. We have some additional minutes to discuss the strategy.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay. So, strategy FY19 is somehow related to the previous management group [of] Humberto and Maritza. We had some of those funds – sorry. I apologize. There were some funds leftover, money used

for the meditation, and there will be an additional amount that can be used until June.

Certainly, or probably, after Kobe, we will start with the activities of the last semester. We will have a few months to work on it. There is a document that [Lilian] as displayed on the Adobe chat, but I cannot scroll it, which highlights something.

In essence, we have to prioritize the [inaudible] [countries] that still do not have user representation in our region. I am sorry to the interpreters. I apologize [inaudible].

INTERPRETER: Sergio's audio is choppy, on and off.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Sorry, Sergio. Sorry we are interrupting you, but the interpreters tells us that they can't hear you because your audio channel is on and off. Will you please try again? Can you please repeat?

The operator is telling us that Sergio has dropped, so we will try to call him again.

HAROLD ARCOS: Silvia, can you hear me?

SILVIA VICANCO: Yes, Harold? I don't know if you want to take over.

HAROLD ARCOS: Yes, because we have very little time. I want to explain very briefly. As we said before, there are several groups to be coordinated, so we are now actually presenting this document after the review. Based on the consensus reached with the GSE team – because there are some regional strategies that, for instance, comprise some roadshows in some regions where there is no representation in LACRALO. For instance, an example is the Bahamas, where there will be an activity carried out, which we will be coordinating for the Caribbean colleagues to participate.

This document will be shared and will be analyzed with the person who is appointed for the Outreach and Engagement Group, who is Maritza. And [we'll] check the coordination and proper timing with ICANN policies of outreach and engagement. These policies are very specific, and as you very well know, in this new stage of ICANN, they are not just focused on the traditional outreach outside ICANN but also to reinforce concepts within ICANN.

The directors should know –

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Can you hear me now?

HAROLD ARCOS: Yes. To conclude, the directors should also be aware that some funds were used for the mediation process. So, the remaining, according to the outreach strategy, will be used for three or four events that are

suitable, and [we] will see how we can, with these events, awaken the participation of these countries that have low representation. So, that is part of the strategy.

And there are other aspects. We consider countries here – Honduras, Nicaragua, the Bahamas – and the IGF, which is a very important forum for participation of the LACRALO region with the other members of the ecosystem in this so-important world governance forum.

So, the next step for this? Before the call, which is next week, perhaps we can have a consensus call so that the region can be made aware of this – at least become familiar in general [line]. [There's always] been a similar approach here – and see how we can test it and finally release the initiatives in the second semester of FY19.

So, it's very important that the directors are very clear in mind what are the three aspects we are going to discuss to understand how important the last six months are, considering the goal of enhancing the participation of the regional members.

So, this is all in general [lines]. I don't know if you have any questions. Will you please make it quickly so that we can answer?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Harold. We have a request for the floor from Silvia. [*possibly Silvia speaking here] I think, anyway, there is something wrong about what we are doing because the year '19 will start after June.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I wanted to explain to you the following. Since you are going to submit this document for consensus, I see that it is English. So, we can have a quick translation. We can post it on the wiki page tomorrow and take advantage of Mandate 18 to present this to the community. Then you can try to be of consensus around this document – that’s a mandate – unless you want to start working towards consensus next Friday because we could post it on the wiki page tomorrow, on the 14th.

HAROLD ARCOS: Thank you for your suggestion, Silvia, and for the clarification about the dates. That is an option. If most of you agree, we can have this posted as early as possible. Next week, we can try to be of consensus, and then we can also have the [outcomes] in the monthly call.

SILVIA VIVANCO: [inaudible] the consensus, you can start working on consensus on Friday. Then, on Monday the 18th, you can still work on this. You can also get some comments from people. Then you can finalize it and you can have consensus on Tuesday, the 19th, and possibly have adoption on Wednesday.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, Silvia. Let’s post this and send this out on Friday, if you agree to start working around consensus. Then, we can have a reminder a few days later. If there are no more contributions or if there are no organizations against this, then it will be adopted.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Thank you. Tomorrow we will try to get this documented translated. Perhaps we cannot have an official translation tomorrow, but I will try to help you with that translation.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: And, before the Kobe meeting, we should also have a meeting with the working groups. We don't have much time, so the staff has suggested that we can have a collective meeting with all the people who joined the working group. We should also have ALAC members there in order to kick off the work with the working groups in that meeting. We can have a 90-minute call all together. We can talk about how these working groups will operate, and we will have a group meeting, not a specific-purpose call.

If you agree, you can tell us your agreement in the chat, and then we can close the call.

Lilian has indicated her agreement. So has Adrian. I'm still waiting for your hands up. Harold, Vanda. Humberto is asking for the floor. Go ahead, Humberto.

Ah, no, no. He was also saying that he agrees. Okay.

Yes, we need to prepare a Doodle pool, Silvia. I think that we should always try to take advantage of Mondays because that is a day that we have all set apart for this.

Okay. I think we need to stop this call now because it is 16 minutes past 08:00. I would like to thank the staff and the interpreters for bearing with us until this late hour.

So, thank you all, and good night to you all. This call is adjourned.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]