

YESIM NAZLAR:

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ALAC monthly call taking place on Tuesday, 26th of February 2019 at 8:00 UTC.

I'm so sorry. If we can please mute that AC line. Thank you very much. Looking at our ALAC members from the AFRALO region, we currently have Tijani Ben Jemaa. From APRALO region, we have Maureen Hilyard. From EURALO, we currently don't have any representation, and from LACRALO, we have Ricardo Holmquist, and from NARALO region, we have Javier Rua Jovet present.

From our liaisons, we have Andrei Kolesnikov, Barrack Otieno, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, and Yrjö Lansipuro on today's call.

Looking at our English channel, we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Daniel nanghaka, Remmy Nweke, Beran Dondeh, Bram Fudzulani, Mohamed El Bashir, Jonathan Zuck, Amrita Choudhury, Leah Symekher, Alberto Soto, Hanan Khatib, Justine Chew, Vanda Scartezini, Satish Babu.

I'm not seeing anyone on the Spanish channel. I'm so sorry. Alberto Soto is on the Spanish channel, not the English channel. And on the French channel, we have Abdeljalil bachar Bong, and currently, no one present on the Russian channel.

We have received apologies from Marita Moll, Kaili Kan, Bastiaan Goslings, Gabriel Bombambo Boseko, Holly Raiche, and from Alan Greenberg.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

From staff's side, we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber, and Evin Erdogan present on today's call as well as myself, Yesim Nazlar, and I'll be doing call management. We'll have Spanish, French and Russian interpretation. Our Spanish interpreters are Paula and David. Our French interpreter is Aurélie, and our Russian interpreters are Maya and Yuliya. And before we start, just a kind reminder to please mute your lines when not speaking, and also please don't forget to state your name, not only for the transcription but also for the interpretation purposes, please. And now I would like to leave the floor back to you, Maureen. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much, Yesim, and I do thank everyone who has come here to this meeting today. [inaudible] on the ALAC side that I notice that several did put an apology. So, let us just go with the flow, I guess.

I just want to get this meeting started because I know that there are a lot of people who are suffering the sort of thing that Cheryl and I usually have to deal with, and that's the early morning rising for this particular meeting. So I think we'll get going and start off with the ALAC policy development activities with Evin, Olivier and Jonathan. Did I see Olivier [inaudible]? Perhaps just Evin and Jonathan. Thank you.

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Thank you, Maureen. I believe Olivier is here too. He was on the bridge at least. So you can see on the agenda and in the AC room there were recently ratified statements by the ALAC, and five executive summaries are listed on the agenda. In addition, the ALAC submitted the statement

regarding the EPDP final report, which was not a formal ICANN public comment, but a statement was issued nonetheless and was finalized on a special purpose CPWG call.

There's one public comment for decision. That is the proposal for Hebrew script rootzone label generation rules. This closes on the 16th of April, and it's a topic that the ALAC usually does not comment on, but it is one comment that's currently open for decision.

There are no current statements besides this that are currently being developed, so Jonathan or Olivier, would you like to comment or perhaps discuss the public comment for decision?

JONATHAN ZUCK:

I guess we haven't discussed it on the CPWG, so I don't have a position on it necessarily. So I think we probably bring it up on the next CPWG call, and I think [we'd have consensus that] we wouldn't comment on it.

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Okay. Great. Thank you, Jonathan. And I'll turn it over back to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Even. If there are no other questions or queries, comments on that section [inaudible]. I think I just might raise the fact that we have, in our discussions over the past couple of days, there was an issue raised by León which we may talk about raising in the next CPWG meeting. But that's just a heads up anyway.

So let's move on to the membership, Evin again, please.

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Sure. Thank you, Maureen. On the agenda and in the AC room, there is information on the At-Large structures, the snapshots. There were two recently certified ALSes, one from LACRALO and one from NARALO. They're listed on the agenda and in the AC room. And there are quite a few that are being processed. Several came in last week and the week before, actually. So four are currently awaiting regional advice, and five others are undergoing due diligence. And then we have a few that are still on hold.

For individuals, we also have quite a few applications. There are now over 100 certified individuals across all the RALOs. Recently, there was one from AFRALO, one from EURALO, and one from NARALO certified, and there are currently four other applications from AFRALO and one from APRALO. So those are the latest from the At-Large structures and individual applications. Thank you. I'll turn it back over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Ricardo has his hand up.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST:

Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

We can.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: I have a question for the staff. How do you decide once you receive an ALS submission [inaudible] wants to be an ALS, how do you decide which RALO would handle that? Right now, we have [ONG] from Guadalupe in the Caribbean that it was made through LACRALO, but Guadalupe is part of [EURALO.] Why it's in LACRALO? It's there in the – if you see the agenda, you see this [ONG] or this organization asking to be an ALS. Who decides where it goes? Why it goes to LACRALO instead of going to EURALO at the very beginning? Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you for the question. I have no answer for that one. Cheryl might though. Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Maureen. Yes, Cheryl does know. Back in – if memory serves – 2003, but it might have been '04 or '05, there was an ICANN-wide deliberation that resulted in a countries matching to regions list, and so our staff operates off what is the “ICANN” set of country designations under the RALOs, all the regions.

Now, it does not match exactly either the RIR country lists or the UN country lists or the [UNCTAD] country list. It is unique to ICANN and it does in fact have some particular foils. But that's what staff will be basing it on. There is a list of every country, and it's associated with a region that ICANN recognizes it to belong to. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Is it what we use? I'm afraid so. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: [You] have another question. Old hand?

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: No, new hand. Yes, I understood that that was the [reason,] that ICANN has a list of countries and a list of regions where they belong. Guadalupe belongs to EURALO according to this list, but once we receive an organization from Guadalupe to be included as an ALS, it was sent to LACRALO instead of EURALO. My question is, who decides that, to overcome over this list that is public? We may not [inaudible]

MAUREEN HILYARD: Ricardo, I think I have to agree with Cheryl, that must be human error. If it is listed as EURALO, I don't know, there has to be some reason for it, and if we have a look at it, we have always – some of the anomalies for example within the Pacific, there are countries that actually are right in the middle of all our islands which are Pacific region and within the Asia Pacific region itself, but they are assigned to – because they're territories, they're assigned of course where they belong to, so we have some [inaudible] not able to apply for fellowship because they belong to the larger countries. So as Cheryl said, it's not perfect – and Cheryl has another comment.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Pardon me. I do, Maureen. There is a soon to be exception to this, and that is as a result of the long-awaited – I have literally grown old waiting for this to get through the ICANN board – geographic regions review

process that we started when, honestly, my children were probably still in preschool. Alright, I am exaggerating, but only just.

There is going to be an opportunity, once that is implemented, which it is not as yet, for countries – note that, countries – to self-determine. But to do that self-determination, so for example if Guadelupe as a French territory wishes to be in LAC as opposed to EURALO, which it is at the moment because it's designated as a French territory, then it needs to show that the significantly interested parties in its Internet world – and that means government, businesses, civil society, ccTLD operations, etc. – all wish ICANN-wide to be allocated to one region or another. Then on a one-off exception, we will shift that country to their desired region. But to my knowledge -and I am actually the chair of that working group still – that has not been completed yet.

So again, I suspect that we're talking human error here, and all indeed will be able to be fixed in the fullness of time, providing that the majority of the significantly interested parties, as it is defined, can agree that ICANN-wide, they all wish to be in a region or another. No, double regional membership will not be possible, because regional distribution designation impinges on things from board seat allocation where there are specific limits to how many seats from a particular region can be in the ICANN board right through to expectations that we do have in the GNSO, and we certainly have hardcoded into the ALAC and other entities. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Thank you very much, Maureen. Can you hear me? Yeah, you probably can. I was dropped. I was going to speak and say pretty much the same thing as what Cheryl has said. I did follow this up for many years with Chris Disspain in the board. Indeed [hence] now voted the report, so what I understand is the step is for the ALSes, or for those countries that are saying that they're in the wrong region and so on, if they wish to move to another one, they really need to coordinate between themselves. It's not something that ICANN can do on their behalf. What we can do, I think, is to try and facilitate the connection between the CC, the GAC and the representatives of the ALSes and see if they can come up to some consensus. But so far, from the ones that I've spoken to, they've been very slow.

So I think that sometimes we tend to think that this is such an important issue, but it doesn't seem to be such an important issue for all of them for various reasons. And I really don't know whether we should do something about this or whether we should just let it be and let it all self-organize. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Is that something we can make a decision about? Then sometime we'll discuss that with Cheryl and see what we can come up with. Action item, please.

Are there any other questions or queries about any of these? I know that an issue that's come up in the leadership development is, how does an individual member prove that they're actually – do they have a

registration number or something similar? So that they can actually – that they know about and that they can put down in their application form. So those sorts of things, and also for the ALSes that may not be the primary or secondary contact who’s actually making an application. So the way in which they will officially identify themselves as belonging to the ALS. Olivier, is your hand up for something still?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, Maureen. Yes, please.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Thank you. Go.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Maureen. In fact, EURALO has had some experience with having individual members from outside our region, and the way that we've accepted them is to accept them as observers. And what we do ask is for them to declare on their own that they are from one region or from the other. And of course, we make sure and coordinate with the other RALOs to make sure that they're not members, if they decide and they say, “Well, look, I'm actually in a European region country as defined by ICANN, I'm not an individual member of any of the other regions as well,” there needs to be some level of trust, and I would be really concerned if we were to start saying, well, provide – I don't know, a bill or some total evidence that you live in this country, etc.

At the end of the day, if somebody is going to go to that level of trying to say they're from another region and lie about it on their honor, then what can we do? Do we really want to have them actively involved? Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Olivier, yeah, there are little anomalies. And interesting, thank you very much for explaining the observer status. I'm not quite sure if that's the same for others, but that makes sense. Okay, so are there any other questions, queries?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Maureen, just to explain what observer status is. Observer status gives them the right to be on our mailing list. They can of course contribute to the discussions if they wish to, but when it comes down to a vote – and in Europe, if you remember, they are part of the EURALO Individuals Association, they don't actually get a formal vote for any of the votes but they're absolutely welcome to discuss, to be on the mailing list, etc.

and I do understand that we do have also members from other RALOs that are subscribed to our mailing lists, and some of us are on all the mailing lists and we're pretty open about this. At the end of the day, we should be an open community and not start setting walls all over the place. The vote is really what's important when it comes down to decisions. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Agree. Okay, thank you. Okay, are we done with members, our membership? Are we looking good? Although there are still issues, of course, as we have discovered in our recent investigations with regards to the ATLAS criteria about the ALSes who may not be as active – not being seen as active, but if there are people who are actually in those ALSes who have not really been identifying themselves as belonging to the ALS. So we need to make sure that the people who are being active actually do identify and ensure that [inaudible].

Okay, so let's move on to number five, looking at liaisons, working groups, RALO chair report. I had a look through some of those, and I know other people do as well. If there's anything that anyone wants to raise – we don't ask for reports to be read out or anything because they are available online and on the reports page which you can access through the gateway. Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you, Maureen. Just to make sure that the ALAC and the assembled At-Large at today's meeting are aware of the most recent activities in the GNSO world. The GNSO held its normal meeting on February 22nd for the month. We'd had an exceptional meeting on February 14th to apprise ourselves of the likely content of the final report of the PDP. That was up for vote on the 22nd amongst other business, and that vote was deferred to the last possible day that it can be deferred to, which is a new meeting now on the 4th of March, and my space is all updated with all this information for those hundreds of you who don't go and read it, although Anonymous occasionally visits. I saw a few anonymous visits in January at least. But that's an aside.

The thing is that the phase two discussion that was on the agenda can't happen until the GNSO council vote on the adoption or otherwise of the final report, and that is an agenda item, and one would assume the following phase two discussion is also an agenda item for our meeting now on the March 4th, and I will update with whatever outcomes come out of that at the appropriate time. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thanks, Cheryl. Yrjö.

YRJÖ LANSIPURO:

Just a couple of words about the agenda for the joint GAC-ALAC meeting in Kobe. So, first, EPDP, and Alan actually hopes that there could be a joint statement that ALAC or some aspects of the EPDP, and for that reason, I think we tried to organize something before this session, that is to say a small group from both sides to discuss whether [inaudible] joint statement.

Number two, subsequent gTLD procedures versus the CCT review. And here, of course, I hope that Jonathan would take a lead and compare what SubPro has become, compare it to what the CCT review produced, whether it fulfills all these criteria.

Third, GAC-ALAC cooperation in capacity building. Number four, reactions to president Macron's IGF speech. We have from Jean-Jacques – who is very interested in this topic of course – we have a written statement from him, and I have asked that it will be distributed as an attachment to the agenda, and from the GAC side, the French GAC

representative Ghislain De Salins has promised to say a few words also about that.

And then last, and a very short item, the follow-up to the GAC-ALAC statement at ICANN 60. There, we can just say that, mission accomplished. That is to say the board has accepted the joint GAC-ALAC statement and will act, hopefully, accordingly. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Alright. So yeah, we've got some action items coming out of that already. Thank you. Anyone else? There's probably just one thing that I guess I must raise, and that's just a heads up. As you all know, Mohamed has [inaudible] Customer Standing Committee liaison for two years, and [it's] three years since he was appointed, and really, the position has been vacant for a year. So we're going to have to be putting out calls for a volunteer for that particular position [inaudible].

Okay. Thank you. So that's just another heads up that there'll be a call for a volunteer for that particular position. No other questions or queries related to or anything coming from the RALO chairs? Seeing as there are more RALO chairs than ALAC members today.

Okay. No, that's cool. Thank you. Let's move on then. Oh, we have Hadia, don't we? Do we have Hadia? I know we haven't got Alan.

YESIM NAZLAR:

Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes.

YESIM NAZLAR:

[Alan is an] apology for today's call, and we have been trying Hadia's line, but unfortunately, we couldn't get her on the call. So unfortunately, neither Alan nor Hadia is present on this call.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. Well, that makes that one short and sweet. In case Hadia comes later on in the meeting, we can leave [inaudible]. Is León here? I know that it's about 2:00 in the morning [for him.] He did say that he tried to get to the meeting. Is he not?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Maureen, I have pinged him, but he is not responding, so I think we might need to move on.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. That's fair enough. It just means that – sorry?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Olivier asking for the floor.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thanks very much, Maureen. Are you asking for [inaudible]? Or I didn't hear it.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, I was expecting an EPDP update from Alan and Hadia, but they're not here. Do you want [to give one?]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well, I guess either Jonathan or I can say a few words. I can certainly say a few words and would invite Jonathan to add to it, because of course, we've been on all the Consolidated Policy Working Group calls.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, you may.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So thanks very much for this. Effectively, what's been happening, as you know, is that the EPDP has produced a final draft report. That was sent out to the group internally, and each one of the representatives from the different stakeholder groups and the supporting organizations and advisory committees have had a look at it, produced a statement. The ALAC produced a pretty good statement over several calls that we had including a special purpose call where the issues were all discussed in quite some details, which was great. and that has come out and come back. Some amendments have been made to the report, and now I understand the report has been sent over to the GNSO council. And

what Cheryl might be able to tell you is what happened then once on the council. But I understand it's not yet totally voted on.

The next steps are – there's a call, I guess, by some of the parties to start the work on phase two. if you recall, there were so many issues in this EPDP that they decided that they needed to divide into phase one and phase two. Phase one was going to be addressing the bare minimum stuff that needed to be addressed in order to be able to address the EPDP schedule of work, and bearing in mind they have a very little amount of time to get that completed, and phase two got a number of the points moved into, such as for example the different types of access to the database, etc. There's a whole list of issues there, and now of course some are saying, well, okay, fine, we've got phase one in there, let's get down to phase two as soon as possible and as quickly as possible.

Finally, just one thing to add, Kurt Pritz, the chair that has chaired phase one in a masterful way and managed to really do some miracles in there has tendered his resignation, so he will not be pursuing the work for phase two, and I gather a new chair will have to be found. But all of the participants in the EPDP have thanked him for this great contribution and his way of being able to keep cool and being able to get all of the sides to air their views and find that [inaudible] consensus that sometimes was very hard to find. So I understand that Hadia has sent a note to also thank him on behalf of the ALAC. Thank you. And maybe Jonathan has a few more things to say, because that's what I remember. Jonathan might have another angle as well. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: thanks for this, Olivier. And very much appreciated. Jonathan, just before – in case you want to add anything more to what Olivier has said. If not, we'll go straight to Cheryl, who I'm sure [inaudible].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Did Jonathan have –

JONATHAN ZUCK: Yes. Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Cheryl. [inaudible] Go ahead.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Yeah, Olivier basically covered it. It was definitely one of those reports where no one was happy, and so it's not completely clear what happened in the GNSO vote. There are some within the IPC and BC that are hoping to withhold consensus, but there is certainly a supermajority now to pass the report. So the activities of the BC and IPC are largely symbolic at this point. We had some difficulties with the report as well but resolved to go along with it in an effort to maintain our good standing, if you would, in phase two in talking about the unified access model, etc., where it's really important. One of the focuses of the At-Large has been third-party access to this data, and so in many respects, it's a more important point than much of what you covered in phase one even though we had some frustrations there. I think that's it for me.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Jonathan, thank you very much. Okay, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Maureen. And Olivier and Jonathan, as you'd expect, have done a wonderful job of bringing everyone up to speed on this in the absence of Alan and Hadia. But I do think it's important that this meeting note the heroic – and I do mean that literally – amount of effort, time and energy that Hadia and Alan have put into this. We knew it was going to be a tough gig, but this one really has been above and beyond the call of duty for all involved, and I'm delighted to note that Hadia's sent our compliments and thanks to the amazing work that Kurt has done. It may perhaps be worthy of the ALAC's consideration to formalize a vote of thanks for Kurt and send that over via the GNSO in due course however, seeing that some formalities are occasionally a useful thing.

Just on a little bit of an embellishment and to make it really clear, the reason that the GNSO council did defer its vote for the ten days between the 22nd of our meeting and the 4th of March when it will be voted upon is that the regulations of the advance notice of documentation prior to a meeting and vote does have a ten-day minimum. So the reason for the deferment had absolutely nothing to do with any sort of call for deferment from any part of the ICANN community in any effort to embellish, change or modify the final report that the CPWG and the ALAC and At-Large community has looked at.

The GNSO council will be voting on the final report [inaudible] with the appendixes and comments, etc. It has not been opened for ten days for further deliberations. It is simply pro forma to ensure that the rules on advance notice of documentation has been followed. So if a challenge occurs, that is not a grounds for that challenge. So it's kind of important that you all understand that. The GNSO will vote. I can't predict how it will vote, but as Jonathan indicated, the confidence level is relatively high that it will be supported. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: [inaudible] Cheryl. [inaudible]. Okay, so are there any other questions from anyone that we can pose to Olivier, Jonathan and Cheryl about what's happening in the EPDP [inaudible]? I'll just note that Holly and Seun [also are apologies too.]

Okay. Alright. León still hasn't woken up? No. Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just for the record – and Cheryl noted that we might want to just point something out for this item. It is very late for him, but also, he will be with At-Large in Kobe on the Saturday, in the last session of the day, and

I think he's going to be talking about just actions of the board, particularly in Kobe, and then open it up to questions during that session. So that's just about two weeks away. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Great. Thank you. Yes, and I know too that he's involved in some important meetings at that time, so probably going to have to sneak just to actually do this for us. So I think that's [inaudible] for our board member. Thank you, León.

Right, so moving on therefore, let's get ready for ICANN 64. Is Gisella with us?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, Maureen, I'm here.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Can I just leave you with going through the introductory – yeah.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Maureen. I'm just going to do a brief overview of the agendas. A reminder that for ICANN 64, we have set up a Wiki page, and on this Wiki page, you will find all the useful information, so the day by day agenda, the joint outreach agenda, the booth signup form, the questions for the board, the main At-Large schedule, any actions that were taken during ICANN 64, etc. So please do use this page as a

reference, especially once we are on the ground in Kobe, as the main schedule is no longer being able to be updated, so any updates that do occur will be placed on this Wiki page. So thank you very much, Yesim, for putting up Saturday.

On Saturday, unlike previous meetings, we will actually be attending the GNSO sessions. The GNSO sessions are all labeled in green, so our first meeting of the day for the ALAC liaisons and the regional leaders, ALT Plus will be the At-Large leadership development session. Those who are invited to the session have received an e-mail, and then our first At-Large open session will be from 17:00 to 18:00, which will be a prep for ICANN 64. That evening, please do join us. we have the fellows social events taking place.

We'll swiftly move on to Sunday. If you do have any questions, please raise your hand. Otherwise, I'll just be going through the days. On Sundays, we start with a bit of a new format here. We have the At-Large leadership policy workshop number one, which will be led by Jonathan Zuck. We then go on to part two of the workshop, again led by Jonathan Zuck. Over the lunch period, we will have a working lunch, and we will be preparing the questions for the board. The first afternoon session, we will have a couple of guests, Rinalia and the SSAC. The second afternoon session, we will again have two guests, the GCSC as well as the chair of the GNSO. And our last session of the day is with the ccNSO. The agenda has just been updated.

On Sunday evening, there may be a networking even with the GCSC. We are just working on the details, and we will put them up on this Wiki page as soon as we have further information.

On Monday, we start with the opening ceremony, followed by the joint outreach with NCUC part one. This is against the high interest session on strategic planning, and then we have the part two of the NCUC outreach with At-Large, and in the afternoon, we have the joint At-Large and NPOC session. Please do take the time to read through the agendas that we've put up on the Wiki page. These are going to be sent through for translation today. And the joint At-Large-NCUC agenda will be posted very shortly on this Wiki.

For the rest of the afternoon, we have APAC Space, we have a cross-community session on next steps in ICANN's response to the GDPR, public forum, and the gala evening. More details for the gala evening will be posted here as well. They will also be up on the main webpage. We just need our badges to access, and there'll be shuttles leaving, departing and returning, to the Portopia hotel. The gala will be at the Hotel Okura in Kobe, which is not very far away.

On Tuesday, we start our day with At-Large Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee, followed by the RALO GSE and regional partners workshop. In the afternoon, we have the At-Large regional leaders meeting. That will be led by Satish. The region where we are at the time leads those sessions. And we have at the end of the day the At-Large capacity building session. Joanna and Alfredo will take us through their agenda and guests.

In the evening, now on the Tuesday unlike other meetings, we have the joint APAC and APRALO networking event. So instead of having a networking event only for the APRALO, we have gone into partnership

with APAC, and it will be a great opportunity for networking. Again, please do keep an eye on the agenda.

Going on to Wednesday, we have the meeting with the board, joint board and ALAC meeting – you will see the [four] questions up on the Wiki page – followed by the prep session for the meeting with the GAC that we have later that morning. We also have an At-Large working group session on compliance, then followed by the joint GAC and ALAC meeting. In the afternoon, we have the AFRALO meeting running against the APRALO meeting. Again, full agendas, please do take the time to read them. and we then follow with the At-Large leadership wrap up. We have put the wrap up in the mid-afternoon as Maureen does need to attend another session after that. Hopefully Göran will be joining us at our wrap up. The last session of the day is the third part of the policy workshop, again moderated by Jonathan Zuck.

And on Thursday, we only have one session, which will be a debrief of ICANN 64, feedback, and looking forward to ICANN 65 for the policy forum taking place in Marrakech in June. The rest of the day will be the cross-community session on universal acceptance, IDNs. We have the board session on governance. Note that the Q&A with ICANN executives is now on Thursday afternoon. Public forum, public board meeting, and the community wrap-up cocktail.

So we have been through the agendas. Again, please do take the time to read through them. They are going in for translation today. If there's any further feedback, please do get back to the staff or to Maureen. And otherwise, I'll hand it back to Maureen. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much, Gisella. Thank you very much too to people who have actually contributed to this program. It is a result of feedback that we got during our Barcelona debrief, and the work that people have put into getting this program together, I'm sure that it will be [inaudible].

Also, just making it a little bit more [interactive,] a little bit more interesting, both for people who are participating in the meeting and those who actually have to watch it.

So, yeah, I do have to [inaudible] put the program together, and also to Gisella who's had a job and a half just keeping track of things and making sure that everyone had everything in their [event sessions] if they needed. Are there any questions or queries about anything that's in the program at the moment?

I think that we just had to make sure too – I would like to see that ALAC members are supporting all the ALAC working sessions, whether they're workshops or meetings or anything, that they're supporting their colleagues within At-Large. And at the same time, just like other activities that are going on that also will require [our thought.]

Going on to the At-Large questions, for example where we have given our questions to the board, Yrjö's talked about the GAC questions, but we have a session which we will go over those just to make sure that we're on track with keeping tabs on what we're going to say and that the joint statements [inaudible] speaking about the same thing.

We're going pretty sparse on the suggestions that we're going to give to the board at the moment, but we want to workshop those during a lunchtime session, and I think that a little bit more workshopping kind of activity accompanied by food and a bit of coffee might just revitalize the old brain cells and try to get some more suggestions so we actually have something to say when they ask us.

The ccNSO questions, that's just been modified a bit, so that's fine. And we still have to sort of formalize any questions that we were going to give to Keith. They must be – if anyone's got anything, I think we had a couple of ideas here, but we need to formalize it so that it makes sense to Keith, whatever it is that we give to him.

So this is just a board for ideas. It's nothing final, it's just get some ideas up there, and we can sort something out when we get to Kobe. Is there anything that anyone wants to ask about? [I'm the only one] asking the questions at the moment.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. I've just added a section on the questions page for questions from the CEO. Göran will be attending the session, the wrap up on Wednesday. And I'm also going to add a section for questions for the

board chairman as I believe that Cherine will be coming briefly as well. And it is really important that they do know, just at least from the topics that might be raised. They review team aware that it will be questions and answers, but just a few topics would be really useful. Thank you so much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Heidi. Yes, I understand that Göran doesn't like to come to a meeting if there's nothing that he's actually prepared for, so if there are any questions, please, we don't want to surprise him with anything. Yeah, just whatever's on top for us, but at the same time, [inaudible].

Okay, so moving on then, we can sort those out, get some ideas up there so we have something to talk about. What's next? Oh, Jonathan, you want to say something about the talking points?

JONATHAN ZUCK:

I sure can. I circulated some talking points for the meeting on the ALT Plus mailing list, so I think that includes everybody that's on this call. And the idea here was to get everybody on the same page with respect to their hallway conversations and their participation when they show up in panels and things like that. So it was an attempt on my part at least to figure out what the primary points of discussion are going to be at ICANN 64 and to summarize where we've landed on those topics in terms of the comments we've written or the conversations that we've had in the CCWG, etc., and to make them concise enough that people can actually absorb them and be sort of prepared to talk about them a little bit if and when the conversations come up. I don't know if people

have had a chance to take a look at these and have ideas or comments. It's a little bit of a strawman, but I think it's a fairly accurate reflection of where we've landed on these issues in an attempt to boil them down to something consumable by the whole group.

There's actually a point in the schedule where we would go over them and present them verbally, but as of right now, I haven't gotten feedback from anybody that they like them or dislike them, so let me know what makes most sense. If you want me to read them now, I can, or just a reminder to get back to me on the list. Either way, let me know what works best for you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Jonathan. I think the people need to read those through. Should we put them on a Google doc, do you think? And if anybody's got any comments that they might want to add or amend or whatever – just because I think this is a great idea, and if everyone gets to at least read them [inaudible] Jonathan's actually trying to get pinned down for us all so that we are all saying the same thing about these issues. They're obviously going to be discussed during the week.

Does anyone have any questions they want to raise with Jonathan at this particular point in time?

PASTOR PETERS OMORAGBON: Pastor Peters.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry? Is that Pastor Peters?

PASTOR PETERS OMORAGBON: Pastor Peters just joined. Good morning.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Do you want to say something now?

PASTOR PETERS OMORAGBON: No, I just joined. I just said good morning. Pastor Peters just joined.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Thank you. Welcome. If there are no other questions or queries, my encouragement for everyone here is to read that document, and if we can get it on to a Google doc, can I have an action item there please? If you've got any questions, queries, amendments or additions, put it in the Google doc so that Jonathan can review that, and if need be, make amendments to the document.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, hi. Just from the staff side, we're wondering, once they're finalized, would you like these talking points to be put on the 64 workspace, or would you like them just to be sent through e-mail? Just checking on how public you'd like these talking points to be. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think everyone should have a copy. I don't know about putting them on the work Wiki space. Comments? Jonathan.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Yeah, I guess I'd be inclined not to have them on the Wiki, or certainly not anytime soon, simply because it's an opportunity to embolden people to disagree, to bring their oppositions before we're even at the meeting. So ideally, it's something that we reach consensus on ourselves and then present at our early meeting for folks going out. So it may be that it's a question of printing some of these and handing them out to the new folks that hadn't been on these discussions at the early prep meetings. So something like that might be more appropriate.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. Thank you, Jonathan. I agree with that, and I think that's pretty much the call. These are our views, but I don't think they need to be made public. Okay, so that's your mission, everyone, to read those and make comments [as you see the absolute need.]

Right, and so then we go on to the networking and outreach activities with Gisella and Heidi. Jonathan put his hand down [if he hasn't got anything else to say.] Unless he has.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I'll try to briefly go over some of these events. I know Gisella mentioned them. So as we saw that for most every day, every evening, there is a networking session for ICANN 64. On Saturday, there is the fellowship social events. On Sunday, there's the possible [GSCE] reception. On Monday is the gala as Gisella mentioned. Tuesday is the APAC-APRALO networking reception. I don't believe there's anything on Wednesday. On Thursday, there's the closing cocktail.

In terms of outreach, At-Large and APRALO will have a table that is right next to the ICANN engagement booth. That is the new name of the information booth, it is the engagement booth. So there is a signup sheet which is now being displayed. Please do sign up, particularly through those busy periods of coffee breaks and lunch breaks. We are bringing materials, including brochures, some pins. We will have some materials to hand out, for example rice cakes, etc., and there will be some banners, both large and small. Gisella, let me know if I'm missing anything, please.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Sorry, Heidi, no, you've covered everything. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. Thank you, Gisella. Back over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Heidi. Any questions or queries, please, we want to try and make the At-Large booth a center of activity, and the more people we can get and encouraging people to find out more about what we do, the better it is.

I understand that actually looking for speakers, we'll probably need a whiteboard or some kind of board to be able to advertise that there are people coming to speak about At-Large or to speak about the RALOs or whatever. So that's something else that is [inaudible] may need a board or something.

Okay, any other questions, queries? Don't forget it's not just ALAC and the leaders, it's At-Large members as well. We just need as many people there as possible just to spread the word about At-Large and how wonderful we are.

Okay, so moving on therefore onto the ARIWG implementation plan. Okay, that's me And Cheryl. I'll tell you about what I'm doing with this. What I've done is that – have we got that – [Yesim is putting that page up for us, I think.]

This is the page that is – that's not it. I think we're going to have the page for the ARIWG implementation plan page, and on it, it actually has the eight items that we're actually going to be working on, and the team leaders who are going to be leading each of those activities.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Maureen, I've just put the link into the chat. Also, just to make it easy to find for everyone, this page is now in that purple gateway on our Wiki pages, so [inaudible] find this, just go to that purple gateway page on the upper left-hand part of your Wiki, for the At-Large Wiki, and you'll be able to find this. Thank you so much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. So if you can click into that page and see that wonderful gateway that we've got [to the left of that,] I use that gateway a lot, it's a sort of one-stop shop. Just anything that is important to us at the moment is in that gateway. But especially for this particular page, this is actually just detailing what it is that we have to do with regards to the review implementation.

We've got work track leaders for each of these issues, and they are the ones who are going to be coordinating working groups [inaudible] subgroup – I'm going to call them working groups at this particular point in time. They will get groups of people to work with them on their particular issue, and if you click onto for example issue one and you look at the dashboard and progress chart, and that actually is [inaudible], if you have a look at – you'll actually notice in that dashboard and progress chart page, it actually details the information that the board has agreed to. That is the implementation steps and all the other information that goes with it.

But it also provides a [position] for each meeting, activity, whatever is done by the group to actually implement that particular program of steps that is required to achieve that goal. We need to have them

detailed, because we've got to write a report, and that report has got to detail all the activities that we did to achieve that particular implementation goal.

So, those are the two really important pages, and if you're a leader, it's going to be really important to you, but if you're part of that working team, this is also going to be important to you because this tells you what it is that you have to do, and this is what the board will be expecting us to have achieved.

Tijani. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes. Good morning, Maureen. Do you hear me, please?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I do. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Okay. Thank you very much. I am reading the page, the Wiki page, and I see that, as you said, you have issues and groups formed, etc. I have a problem here. I'd like to work in this kind of things, but I feel that I am strange, I am foreign, I don't find myself anywhere. I don't find that I am even consulted or even involved in anything. Is it intended, or is it something that I missed?

MAUREEN HILYARD: When we had the ALT Plus meeting, the decision of who would volunteer to take those groups actually came up in that meeting, so I'm not quite sure where you might have been that you didn't offer to take one of these groups. But at the same time, if there's anything that you want – you could be one of those – do you have to be a leader? Did you want to be a work track leader? Because –

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I would like to, but just – yes, go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Well, for example, although it says Alan and Jonathan should be looking at the issue two, just to demonstrate that there are two work track leaders who actually are [inaudible] within the ALT Plus leadership team, if there was something in particular that you wanted to volunteer for, I can't understand why you had to not volunteer at the actual meeting, that's all. Certainly not meant to exclude you in any way, so I'm sure that the staff would have just – this is a recording by the staff, and I also want [to query on this, one of the things anyway.] [inaudible]

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. I propose that we follow up on this issue by e-mail between you and me, and staff perhaps. Is it possible?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. We can do that.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: It'll be great.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: But there will be a call by staff for anyone who would like to be in any of those groups. And particularly important too, if you were part of the group that helped to develop the implementation steps, the discussions that actually created a lot of the information that was actually loaded on to the document that went to the board, it would be handy because at least you would know what the issues related to. So it is quite important, and we need to get people involved. It's all part of this – I think one of the things that we found when we were even doing the first part was that we're getting the people all the time who are contributing. And one of the things that we're doing with ATLAS III for

example is to try to get more people not just on the groups but actually participating and contributing to the discussion.

So if you want to be counted, if you want to be able to demonstrate that you are an active participant, it would be really handy if you actually joined and participated and contributed to this work. Tijani, did you have something else to say?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, it's okay. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. [inaudible] put your hand down? Thank you. Cheryl, do you want to add something to that? Okay, no other questions or queries? There will be more on the e-mail list on this. [inaudible] tied up at the moment.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry, Maureen, my line dropped as you went to me. I apologize for that. No, I think you've covered it very well. I just wanted to note that of course some of these issues have natural fits to work track leaders, which are mere facilitators, they're barely penholders, with existing portfolio. So outreach and engagement seems to be a natural fit for, dare I say, people who are in charge of the current outreach and engagement.

But beyond that, I think it's important that we also recognize that it's not the role of just the leaders in any of these sub-work tracks to

forward the activity. The leaders do facilitate and act in an administrative capacity to ensure that voices are equitably heard and that people are drawn out on subjects, etc. But it is the teams themselves which will be contributing the talent to the outcome. But other than that, obviously, [inaudible] at the meetings is important, and catching up on the meetings when you missed it with the recordings is a very useful tool. That's it from me. Thanks, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Tijani, have you got your hand up again? No. Thank you. Alrighty. Okay, so as I mentioned before, there will be more on that, and there'll be something probably Wednesday at the Kobe meeting, if not beforehand. Okay, we're running a bit short of time now, so if there are no other questions or queries on that, can we then go on to the ATLAS III and what's happening there?

What are we uploading? Oh, yeah. Okay, so there is – this isn't actually the actual page, is it? This isn't the actual Wiki space. But on the Wiki space as well, the Wiki space for ATLAS III has – I guess a link in the chat would be really handy, but on that Wiki space, you'll find that there are the sections for the leadership development team and the programming team whose groups are actually very much involved in a lot of work, especially leading up to Kobe.

If I can just very briefly report on the leadership development team's activities, we've had four groups and they've been working [inaudible] over the last few weeks on developing criteria for the selection of the travelers, as well as some other discussions that we've been having.

I think one of the good things is that there has been dialoging, people have been able to express their views about various things. Probably not as related as I would like to the actual task, but I think what we've got at the moment is we've got our smaller group now, we're going to be working on the final criteria list, and that will be – then we have a group meeting with everyone on the – I think it's the 28th, sort of a couple days' time. So we'll have a secret meeting, and the final criteria list will be revealed, and in the following week, they'll work with Cheryl and put them onto the application form.

So, that's the leadership development team, and Olivier and Eduardo – is Eduardo here? – if we couldn't have just a look at what you're doing in the programming team, because I know that there's been a lot of work going on there as well. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I can certainly let Eduardo give us an update on this if he wants to. Is Eduardo not on the call?

YESIM NAZLAR: Eduardo is not on the call, no.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. I'm getting used to this. Alright. Thanks very much, Maureen. So, the programming group has been divided into three subgroups. The first one is to do with the capacity building and the preparation work before ATLAS III is due to take place. Preparation of our candidates, of our participants, of course.

That includes a number of courses to be designed and amended in ICANN Learn for participants to be able to take them. There are two types of such courses. There are the mandatory courses that participants are going to have to take which will count directly into the selection process by which they will be or will not be selected to participate in ATLAS III.

There's also a number of courses that have now been earmarked for being additional courses that would be offered after the selection process takes place and that participants would be highly encouraged to take so as to learn things and be aware of a lot of other things at ICANN, but that are not mandatory, if you understand what I mean. So they wouldn't be selected upon their completion of this course. They wouldn't be marked upon the completion of this course.

That's the first part, that's really time critical. We are working with ICANN Learn, with Betsy Andrews who is in charge of ICANN Learn, and she's been very helpful. She's, I understand, extremely overworked as well because there are also some other courses being prepared simultaneously for non-At-Large activities, and in fact being prepared for Kobe. So that's her deadline for a number of other things.

That being said, it looks as though we're on course for the – or we're going to be ready for these courses to be launched pretty soon, probably within the next couple of weeks. Maybe just immediately after Kobe. And that will include the introduction to At-Large, introduction to GNSO, ccNSO, GAC, all the main component parts of ICANN.

Now, in addition to this, this capacity building subgroup is going to be preparing a couple – we haven't got an exact number – of additional courses, and I'm not sure if any of you have been involved with creating courses for ICANN Learn, but as in any course, creating a course takes some work, and so it's a little bit of – it will take [inaudible] time, and I don't think that we'll be able to have these ready by the time we open the application period for people to apply to go and travel to Montréal. But these [will be] centered on At-Large, ALAC, on our activities. As I said, if any of you are interested in actually contributing to helping out with building those courses, please help us and step forward on this.

Aside from that, we had taken some of the capacity building webinars. I understand we've got a big archive spanning from, I think it's 2015, 2016, 2017, and of course, 2018. There's been a selection of these webinars that have been made, and the work that is needed for that is to edit them down, so take just the video feed of the actual slide deck and the presentation itself, because when someone is going to follow a webinar that is one and a half hours long, usually, the presentation itself is about an hour or maybe even less, sometimes about 50 minutes, and it's not really worth getting all of those people to shift through the introduction, shift through the pop quiz at the end, etc.

Any editing requires time, so we've got a little bit of a problem there because we haven't got enough people who know how to edit videos and who have the time to spend to edit the videos down. If any of you have such knowledge, are able to do this in your spare time, please let us know and we can discuss it and let you know what we need to do. It's just a few hours, but of course, for one person to do, a few hours here, a few hours there amounts to many hours altogether.

And that's the first group. That first group is led by Alfredo Calderon and by Joanna Kulesza. The second group is the program group, and the program group is the one that is, as its name suggests, is going to be doing the programming at the At-Large summit. We have a block schedule of, in theory, all of the blocks that will be available to us during the Montréal meeting, and the room allocation is very important.

For plenaries, of course, we'll need a large room. For workshops, we need more, smaller rooms, not such a large room. So we're kind of constrained by this. Our working group is currently led by Glen McKnight and by Vanda Scartezini, and so they're starting their work on this as well. That's a little less critical because our deadline for that is going to be after Kobe, maybe you might look at about June time. So they've also started to shuffle things around, and we'll have a little more knowledge about the confirmation of room allocation after the Kobe meeting. So that's really when things will start kicking in that subgroup.

And then the third subgroup, the program working group is the subgroup on the outcomes, because one of the special components of ATLAS, having real, tangible outcomes that we can then propose or show to the board, show to the community, and so we're not here just to have a declaration. I think that it's been discussed that an ATLAS declaration is not an output as such.

An output is, of course, going to be a real, sustained increase in the number of people involved and the level of engagement of those people in At-Large activities, and effectively having a real new class, a new generation of leaders that will be able to lead groups [to do] policy

development process, to be involved with different parts of policy, both creating statements and so on in At-Large, but also being on the review teams, being on the – all of the different processes that ICANN requires. You know that we always are in need of more people for these things.

That third group is going to be looking at how do we track this, how do we find out how well we're doing, and how do we want to capitalize on the fact that we're going to have, I would say by then, the most engaged and the most eager people to take At-Large to the next level? That might include doing videos when everyone is meeting face-to-face and doing video interviews, or that might include following people afterwards, that might include a whole set of things.

That group hasn't really started its work yet, and it's currently in the early phases. Carlton Samuels and Nadira Alaraj are in charge of that one, and so their work is likely to kick in pretty soon too, but it's not so time-critical. That being said, if you want to have good outcomes, you have to prepare for these outcomes. You have to set yourself up for these outcomes. So we're kind of working this in a holistic fashion with the three subgroups that also interrelate with each other quite well.

That's what we've done on the programming side. On the other side, the other half of the ATLAS, maybe I should ask either Maureen or – well, Alan isn't here, is he? So maybe Maureen would be able to [speak to you] on this.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes, I can, and I actually have, Olivier, but I think what Olivier has actually been explaining is that is the amount of work that has actually

gone into these activities. Olivier's group, the three groups are all working on different activities, so it's a real [pile] of activity going on in his area.

With my particular group, we have four groups, of course, and they're all working on the same thing. It's actually what we've developed [inaudible] getting everybody talking – what we were doing is getting everyone talking about a criteria and what was going to be important, and then we're actually going to be – we've got a collective group of them at the moment, and that's going to provide us with the final list.

But credit is due where credit is due to the leaders of those groups, Tijani, Justine, Lianna and Silvia who've really generated great discussion within – and this is the sort of thing – it's actually practice, this is the sort of thing that we do within the policy engagement, it's actually hooking onto a particular topic and really discussing the pros and cons and that kind of thing, and coming up with an outcome, and the outcome documents that have been prepared by those groups and by the leaders. [And it's the leaders – and another – a team] that's made up of leaders and representatives from that team that's actually going to be working on, just a small group to work on the final list.

But there's been a lot of work, and as I said before, I really do appreciate that people put their hands up to volunteer and they're actually really working hard on that.

But we're just a little bit over time now. I just wanted to close with that and just ask if there's anyone who has Any Other Business that they'd like to raise. I know I should have done that at the beginning, but it has

to be something pretty important to raise at this time of the evening for some people and some of those who had to wake up early in the middle of the night to attend this meeting probably want to get a bit more sleep. If there's nothing else, going, going. Okay. Well, thank you very much for coming, and I look forward to seeing you all very shortly – except for Javier – in Kobe, and thank you very much. Bye.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thanks, everyone.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you all. This meeting is now ended. Have a lovely rest of the day.
Bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]