
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Good afternoon and good evening. Welcome to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee Working Group call, held on Monday, the 4th of February, 2019, at 1600 UTC.

On today's call, we have Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Holly Raiche, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Ali AlMeshal, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Lianna Galstyan, Marita Moll, and Sarah Kiden. We also have Harold Arcos on the Spanish channel.

We have apologies noted today from Alan Greenberg and Judith Hellerstein.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Evin Erdoğan, and myself, Andrea Glandon, on call management.

I would like to remind everyone to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes and to please mute your phones and microphones when not speaking to avoid any background noise.

Thank you, and over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thanks. Thank you, Andrea. Welcome, everybody. Today's call, of course, is to go over the two comment documents that we're supposed to be looking at. And, of course, the FY20 budget request is a little bit more urgent than the two-year planning consultation document. But, I think we can spend time on that one despite the fact that Judith isn't here today. It will be really good to get some update on what's there.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

If you have a look at the – for example, moving into the FY20 budget – [our] budget request. Sorry ... is it supposed to be the budget request? Have we not finished that? Isn't that the actual document? FY20 budget document?

Anyway, I haven't got it here, but there should be a Google Doc page – let me see; I've got it here – that I'm currently looking at and which – thank you, Marita. I think you guys actually made some comments on it. I'm just trying to ...

Okay. That's the link to the Google Doc, which I'd like to have a look at. On the actual wiki space is the original comments that I made around about Christmas time. Since then, we've thankfully had some comments come in so that, on the Google Doc, the comments that I made then, which were mainly to do with the projects – and how I just wanted to find a way in which I could mention some of the projects that were relevant to At-Large and how we could incorporate them, just to make the Finance Committee aware of what we were doing and how we might be able to move some of the things that we're doing within At-Large into the bigger picture.

So, if we can look at that document, it would be really handy. I see that Tijani's got his hand up.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Maureen. I was working on the final document. I added things. Now I am almost done with that. I will propose [to] you, in one hour perhaps, after this call, a proposal for a complete statement that

you will see and document and perhaps change what you want to change. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Tijani. Yes, Tijani and I had actually been talking about the document. Although we have, within the Google Doc, a preamble that has actually been cited at the beginning of the document, I just wanted to make sure, though, that that actually encompasses all the things that were important to the document.

So, Cheryl's got a comment here: "That is leftover wording from a previous agenda" – oh, I see. Okay. That's about the agenda. Thank you.

Right.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Maureen? Cheryl here.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I think you've got a [inaudible] in your chat. That happens sometimes if your Internet is a bit wonky.

I just asked Tijani where we see his edits because I'm not seeing his edits in the Google Doc.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: So, maybe I'll reload it. I may have had mine open for so long that that hasn't updated or whatever. But, I'm just not seeing Tijani's edit. That's all. Because I saw the previous [inaudible] you'd agreed to use the new format, which is a very attractive format. Marita's comments I've [seen] but I haven't – oh, yes. I see some of Tijani's. There's a few paragraph comments. Okay.

Okay. Sorry, Tijani. I just wasn't seeing any [of Sandy's] comments, and I didn't want to miss them. That's all. Okay. I'll [inaudible]. Okay. Sorry. [inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Cheryl. Yeah, just going through that, I'm assuming that this is our opportunity to make some comments as we're going through.

In summary, for example, just starting from the top, although I'd actually incorporated what had been done already, I was hoping that – and Tijani is still preparing some overall perspective of the actual operating plan itself. So, that's still to come.

So, hopefully, we'll be able to put those in, but just looking at the format and looking at it in respect to the project goals that have been set by ICANN with regards to – but the topic headings really did, I thought, fit in well with what we have been talking about. And trying to also incorporate what we had in our At-Large Review and for ATLAS so that what we're doing within At-Large was actually expressed.

What I really wanted to know is what I have missed out. And also making it [relevant] [inaudible] – Sarah asked what the numbers were we’re referring to, and of course they were the project numbers in that particular section.

Okay. The summary will actually be altered slightly, I guess, once we get a comment from Tijani, his statement, and it’s added to that.

So, let’s move on to the various sections so that we can ensure that we actually have the sorts of things that are important to us included. In the Language Services, for example, I just wanted to impress on people that we had just been talking, of course, of these alterations to be made after we’d been talking about the ABRs about the importance of the transcription services and also, later on in that section, the LACRALO translation tool, which [we’ve] got major problems with.

I know that they’re already issued within LACRALO, and I think it’s been compounded by the fact that communication between the English speakers and the Spanish speakers is actually being hindered by the fact that this tool does not work efficiently when it’s needed. And apparently, it is a finance issue.

Heidi, can you comment a little bit more, or is there anyone else who can comment a little bit more, on how this tool is actually being used at the moment? I believe that it wasn’t being used.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I’m sorry, Maureen. Which particular tool? The community wiki? Or the ...

MAUREEN HILYARD: For the LACRALO translation tool. It was mainly to do with the e-mail messages.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. That's currently what the issue is. We've held a single-issue call recently, and we do have the full attention of our IT engineering staff. Just recently, they were able to get another resource for that tool. So, I think things will be moving ahead in a positive manner on that. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Right. I actually did hear the Communications Team are working on the problem, but apparently funding is an issue. Is that an appropriate statement to [inaudible]?

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's not the Communications Team. It's the IT. It's the engineering – I can get you the full name of that department. It's not the Communications Team, though.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. All right. I'll put in a comment in that ...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen, I do note that there are three people with their hands raised. Olivier, [Alan], and [inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, right. Sorry, I'm looking – yeah. Okay. Thank you – oh, Alan's here. Great. Okay. Olivier? Sorry.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Maureen. I'm living a Groundhog Day here because, every year, there's a problem with the LACRALO translation tool. We've had countless numbers of man hours and person hours spent with – I know that IT has been working on it. We had some tests. We had a new translation system coming in. We had new tweaks. It's just like the same thing going around in circles.

Either we get rid of that thing and put something new, or we get it fixed. But, I'm just wondering, how much is it costing for people to try and tweak it here, tweak it there? And it still doesn't work. Then, the only—

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen, may I respond to that?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Heidi—

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: The other problem I think also is, how many times we're going to have to deal with this? Because, if we can't get a translation tool working, then let's get something new, something that actually works. And if no automated translation tools work today, then we're going to have to live without it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, if I may, we've had several calls with the TTF, which you're welcome to join, on this particular topic. I think things are in hand. [Dev] might be able to comment more on that, but we do have the full commitment and understanding of the IT and engineering team. They were able to escalate this. So, they were able to get a new resource to help with this. And they do understand that this is not a permanent tool and that they are looking for ways to escalate this even more to look for a permanent solution for this. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thanks, Heidi. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: I guess I agree with Olivier, but I suggest a slightly different way forward. I think this statement needs to say we have been having these problems for over a decade now. We keep on getting promises. We are currently told that resources are allocated and the problem will be addressed. We are pleased, but ICANN needs to understand that a translation tool. An e-mail/communication translation tool is an absolute necessity for the functioning of this RALO.

I think it should say it in really clear terms. Make it really strong and say, “We’re delighted that you’re working on it now, but we’ve been hearing this for ten years. This has to be treated seriously.”

So, I’m not going to try to word it on the phone, but I think that has to be the tone, that this is not a new problem. Three years ago, we submitted a special budget request for allocation of resources and we’re told, “Oh, no. You don’t need that. We’ll find the resources.” And they “fixed” it and then it broke again.

So, I think the exasperation has to come out, and the fact [is], I disagree with Olivier. It’s not, “We’ll have to do without it.” That RALO cannot function without it. And it’s not functioning very well with the tool we have right now. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, [Alan]—

ALAN GREENBERG: By the way, I wasn’t supposed to be on this call or any other one’s today, but I had a flight cancelled due to weather. So, I am here.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, awesome. It’s great to have you. Thank you. Yes, we have Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. I feel it is like Groundhog Day also because I’ve been the one who’s been pushing hard when I was Chair of the TTF to get ICANN to fix

the tool [inaudible] [long] problems we had with it. Seeing some possibly light at the end of the potential tunnel, when [inaudible], then seeing it deployed in 2017.

But, since then, yes, there was a special call that was held last week, Wednesday, but I'm a little bit perturbed by the lack of attention or care because, if we weren't raising the issue, I think ICANN would have been happy willing to let us [fail] because just to [inaudible] from one e-mail list to the next, sometimes as much as 50 e-mails a month. And this is coming back down to misunderstandings and all this type of stuff, and, of course, all of LACRALO's history, which everybody's aware of—

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen, can I comment on that?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Let me just quickly finish, Heidi.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: My point is that what I am frustrated about is the lack of ICANN's IT team for projects they running. The fact is that this is their tool that they are deploying. The fact that they weren't even monitoring it for the errors and so forth is a little bit alarming. If this was ICANN running a DNS registrar or something and the [inaudible] were being blocked,

there'd be a huge ruckus. The fact that it seems to be happening to our community seems not to bother ICANN as much.

So, we [inaudible]. So, that's my frustration. I think something has to be mentioned in the statement, that they cannot be treating the community in such a dismissive manner without really even raising the possibility – even if they knew they were [inaudible] the problem, they should have raised this with us with a heads up and saying, "Hey, we've been having problems with resources. What do you think we should do?" There's nothing like that. So, we raised [inaudible] that they now responded that they didn't have any resources anymore.

So, that's my comment on that. Thanks. That's it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Heidi, I will call you in a minute.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry. Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Dev, in some kind of way, can you just make a statement that I can actually incorporate in some way into that? Because I do understand the frustrations and stuff like that, and, as Alan says, and Olivier, it's

been going on for too long. It does need to be addressed. We do need to make it more forceful. Yeah, put into the document or whatever.

Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I need to disagree with Dev, and I'm rather surprised by your comments, Dev. You have been on every call with Mark. You've heard his commitment to this. You've seen his e-mails, even the most recent one where there is another resource person on this.

I think it's rather unfair to say that ICANN is not focusing on this. The moment that we saw that the problem was occurring recently, we've been with Mark Segall and Laura. They've been on calls with you. They've expressed their concern. And they've now shown that they have committed the resources to this in the short term. Additionally, they've committed to looking at this, raising this, escalating this, within ICANN for the long term.

So, I think some compromise is in order here. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. Before I go back to Dev, Heidi, but is the ICANN team actually working with the TTF?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Absolutely. [Bart] has been in contact with them. We've had two or three calls on this topic. He's been including them, or, if not, I've been

forwarding the messages about the additional staff. I think there's a good line of communication.

And if that is not correct, then I would like to hear it. But, I think that the comments I've heard from Alan and Olivier, who were not on those calls – I'm happy to inform you about those consultations.

But, Dev, you've been involved, and I thought that you were pretty clear on what was happening and that they were doing everything they could, given the budget situation and the focus on the ITI. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. Thank you, Heidi. Okay, Dev, you've got a final statement here.

Dev?

Okay. Did Dev drop?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Sorry. I was on mute. Okay, let me start again. Thanks. Maureen, yes, I will try to write something in the statement on it.

But, going back to Heidi, [inaudible]. I am just concerned about those, that this was, I think, even around March or April last year. I remember sending this e-mail to you and to, well, the staff, and to Alan. I was noting, "Hey, I've [now just picked up] that a lot of e-mails are missing from this one list to the next." And of course, [inaudible] for the TTF and so forth. So, I wasn't really hearing – and, of course, the TTF [inaudible]

in not doing any new meetings for that [inaudible] last year. So, the first meeting this year ...

When I request [inaudible], “We have no time to look at it. You have to focus on GDPR. All hands on deck for GDPR,” and so on and so on. And they said, “We’ll get back to you.” I haven’t heard anything on that. So, again, we raised it [to] part of the TTF on the call in January.

Even then, on the call – by all means, share a recording of the call because I think it is important. I felt that Mark and – look, I’ve worked with Mark and Laura, and I have a good rapport with them, but I found it felt like I was the one offering ideas and solutions to the problem. I would have thought that, if ICANN – like I said, if I was running ICANN ... sorry. If I was responsible, [fully] responsible, for the tool, and I knew that the tool was not going to be working or we would not be supported, I would have raised this earlier and then had a dialogue: “Here’s what we think are the best options (or the most cost-effective options). Pick one. Then, we can have a dialogue about it.”

But, it doesn’t seem to be like that. I think that’s the thing that frustrated me. This is something that [inaudible]. Again, this has been happening for so long on this. I guess that’s why I am [inaudible] by this. I am committed to work on it. I’ve mentioned repeatedly to Mark and Laura, “Hey, look. I am available to work through options to help [through] testing.”

So, I am committed to talking about this problem, but I feel frustrated [inaudible] forced to do this over and over again when it should [inaudible].

All right. That's it then. I'll stop.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Dev. Just put some ideas down, just so that I can incorporate it in some way into the document.

We have Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. I appreciate that people are working on it now. As Dev said, we have noticed a problem and reported a problem – a very significant problem – for a year now. If this level of activity has been going on for a year, then I guess I was oblivious to it, even when I was Chair.

There have been times when days would go by with lots of e-mail going back and forth and no translation would show up. It's not uncommon, and getting a message back this year or last year, saying, "Oh, we've discovered problem. It's that the Spanish-speaking people don't put enough periods in, so the sentences ," but we've known that to be a problem for a decade now, or at least a good part of that decade.

So, it's a serious problem, and it has only been actioned, to use a word I don't like, when the complaints got to such a high level. As far as I'm concerned, someone on staff should be monitoring this. Whether it's At-Large staff or IT staff, I don't much care. And when you get messages showing up without translations at all, that should be something that should be acted on as an operational problem.

So, I appreciate that there's lots of effort and commitment right now, but that's not going to work ongoing, unless it is really a high-priority activity that is monitored and we can sure is functioning. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Alan. Alberto?

ALBERTO SOTO: Thank you, Maureen. As part of the paragraph that you are requesting, Maureen, I think that we need just to make a historical account of all the problems that we have had in chronological order. I don't know whether they're an additional request was made for this or not. If you have reserved some additional budget, then you spend it and the problem is still there.

I think that we need to describe that we had this problem that so many hours or so many dollars were invested in, and there is no solution. Then, the request to look for a final solution. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Alberto—

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen? This is Heidi. I'm sorry. My AC is freezing, so I can't raise my hand. I think that we should obviously mention it, but I think, by dragging all the old material back up, that's not going to be very useful.

Again, I assure you that our IT and engineering team is aware of the issue. You have been working hand-in-hand with the TTF for a year or so. I get that. Okay? But I need to stress that there have been other issues within ICANN. You're all aware of the budget issues, of the ITI focus that has taken resources. Again, I need to stress that there has been now agreement on the way forward with the TTF.

So, I'm surprised to hear that members of the TTF who were on those calls and who had agreed to the way forward are now bringing this up. So, I think that we should definitely focus on this, but I don't think we need to bring up all of the metrics on past years in this particular statement. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks, Maureen. I feel like I'm the old crone ringing my hands over a boiling cauldron of crap here. So, forgive me while I come and try to rain on all your parades. No, in fact, don't forgive me. Just perhaps listen.

I've just finished typing into the document what I hope some cautionary comments about comments that may make it into the document regarding support for activities in Internet governance. I'll come back to those, if you'd like, later.

But, I am concerned if you go down as you haven't necessarily gone too far in the comments, in the paragraph that we're in. The paragraph starts off with 178483.

It's a relatively light touch, but I'll comment as well. But perhaps I would ... I really think you're dumb if you all go off into the gory details about the issues – very serious issues; I am not underestimating or not emphasizing and sympathizing with those, and I'm certainly not saying that the longevity of some of the issues and the frustrations are not realistic.

I am saying be very smart about how you couch things in a general public comment that is then in itself subject to peer review in the Empowered Community, when the Empowered Community in ICANN doesn't give an "Insert your appropriate explicatives here" about Language Services in general. What we're doing is risking taking them down a rabbit hole of concerns that are specific.

I think it would be smarter to have a statement that sets the importance of facilitation of fair and equitable communications provided by Language Services, including , "Various forms of translation is essential for ICANN to continue."

Under that umbrella statement, then, all of this other work can continue and be done and be supported because it's in the [strat] planning, as is overarching agreement, and it's in in the budget allocations, etc..

But if you start taking the rest of the Empowered Community down the rabbit hole of the LACRALO translation tool, I really fear you're going to get some people back up, going, "Well, how is that benefitting GNSO policy development?"

Now, I could argue how it does, but that's not going to happen in this process. So, I'm seeing a real risk here if you get into the minutiae. That's exactly the same comment, but with a lot more words and lot more fear laced with it, as I've just made in the document regarding going to specific community support for IGF travel instead of supporting ICANN's continued involvement in Internet governance because supporting continued and expanded involvement in Internet governance means IGF, and all that's [flat] in it, can be under that umbrella.

And the same thing here: support Language Services. Support an expansion of Language Services and Language Services [2]. But be very careful. Don't drag the rest of the community, including your critics, through the quagmire with you. Just saying.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much, Cheryl. Yeah, it's something that we need to be mindful of. I think it'll probably be something that we can work on with [inaudible] around to get what is important to, as you say, fair and equitable [resourcing] to ensure that we are getting a quality communication between all the participants within a particular RALO in this instant.

I think Ricardo mentioned that there was a vote taken in the last meeting, which wasn't successful because of the issue of the translations not being able to be made in English.

So, those sorts of things we do need to [inaudible]. Again, I really appreciated the comments made by Tijani and Marita in particular, who

has gone through it several times, thankfully, because it's – and how we actually say it. I'm very happy to reword things that need to be expressed in another – as you've said, Cheryl, very good reasons why we should change the way that we're saying it.

But, it's an important issue. If it helps LACRALO to be more effective as a RALO and it's working more efficiently, that's really important to us as At-Large.

Cheryl, your hand is still up. Is that because you can't get it down, or would you like to have something else to say?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

No. It's partly because, as I type, my hand keep going up and down, regardless of where my cursor is, Maureen. But it really is a matter of how you say it and what you can get in, what the terminology used is, in the wording that can hopefully get in, influenced by you, the overarching document because that's you're leverage for the next five years. That's how your ABR will always succeed. [inaudible]? —

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah. I think that what we can do is work on that particular paragraph. We can e-mail it around and get people, just so we can focus on making it not too lengthy but incorporating what might be a more appropriate way of putting this argument across and saying how it's important to us, but without belaboring it.

And as you say, we've made concessions already that could have impacts on us down the track. So, we need to make sure that it's done properly.

Glenn?

Glenn, are you talking to yourself?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I think I suffer from the – sorry about that – same thing Dev does. Very quickly, I noticed Humberto is on the call. As the Chair of LACRALO before, I'm just curious on his views on this.

But my question is [on] LACRALO. Are we having similar problems with other languages across the board, or is just this community that's had this translation issue?

So, I'm just curious as to whether this tool, if it gets fixed, will be a tool that can be used in other communication as well.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I'm not quite sure what actually happens elsewhere. When they've had, with the French community – oh, Tijani. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Maureen. In Africa, we have almost half of the community with French speakers. So, not English speakers. We have such a problem also in our community, but our people learned how to understand written English. So, the problem is not understanding. It's to answer, to

reply. This is the remaining problem. But understanding English is more or less now solved in Africa. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

All right. Okay. So, that's something [inaudible]. Okay. Thank you for that, Tijani, because it'd be good to bring in another RALO and how it's actually been dealt with there. So, within Africa, there's a greater acceptance of adapting to English, which may not be happening in the LACRALO region. But, again, for them, it's a bigger group of Spanish speakers, so this is a smaller group of English speakers. So, that could be contributing factor for this particular issue.

Another important one, and for us as a community: we've got five regions, all trying to provide the services that they need for their members. But if it's not reaching all their members, then we've got a problem. So, we do need to make a statement that it's hindering the progress of At-Large in the long term. But for this particular region, we would like to think that it's not going to drag on for another ten years.

And, as Heidi says, work is being done. Dev that mentioned that the issue was raised in March, so that was before the new funding year came into being and yet still another year has gone by and not much has been happening.

So, we just need to make a point but in a way that is going to be effective rather than just [us] whining about it.

[inaudible]?

SARAH KIDEN: Hi, Maureen. This is Sarah. I'm on [inaudible]. I would like to join the queue. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, Sarah. Okay, okay. Sarah, would you like to make a comment?

SARAH KIDEN: Yes. Okay. Regarding AFRALO, I think it would be a good idea if the tool can work for AFRALO so we also duplicate in AFRALO. Much as many people understand English but still have a lot of challenges, there are times when we need to send a message and, usually, I find someone who can translate it for me to French so that I can send it out. But, it would be nice to just send it in English so that everyone else can absolutely have input.

There are people I know who use Gmail's [inaudible] functionality to translate their message. I don't know how accurate it is, but I know there are people who do that, though I would really like the tool to [work] for AFRALO so we can use it in AFRALO. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Great. Thank you, Sarah. [inaudible] made a little note about that as well. Thank you.

Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

It's nice if people in Africa are trying hard. If this tool ever works and reliably works, it would be a nice thing to offer to AFRALO for French/English. I don't think we need to discuss that today. We're three-quarters of the way through a one-hour call, and we're only on the first item. And there's some really substantive other issues that need to be raised.

Cheryl gave some advice that this needs to be reworded. I gave some different advice on how it needs to be reworded. Someone needs to take this on. We're not going to reword it on the call. Let's move on, please.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

No, we're not. I just wanted to get some input from everyone. I think we're done on it. Yes – I just looked at the time – sorry. We do need to move on. Thank you.

Okay. So, getting back to my document, would someone like to put their hand up for something that needs to be discussed?

No hands up at the moment, but I would like to take you down to 1.2.2.2: Engage stakeholders regionally. Marita made a comment about the policy infographics document, for example. I know that the document that we were given was the advisory committee's document. And I know that, when I have used that document, I've actually just sliced off all the others and focused on the At-Large one.

Marita said that it's busy. It is busy, but I think it actually gives a good overview, a simple overview, on the actual process. But, yes, I think

that, if we're taking that document in its entirety, we really need for us to focus on the At-Large [part].

Alan, is your hand up again?

ALAN GREENBERG: My hand is up. You asked if there's anyone who has any other comments.

MAUREEN HILYARD: [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: I'd like to raise a comment on 1.1.2. I think most of this is not something we want to put in a public comment on the budget. Talking about RALOs now [having some old] funding so they can fund their own fridge magnets? It's just at a level of minutiae that I just don't understand why we're mentioning it.

Saying there's problems with the At-Large website? Unless we are making a statement saying, "ICANN must devote significant resources to fixing this problem," I don't know why it's there.

The community wiki is often been targeted as needing attention. At-Large staff and Chair have created a gateway. It's all very interesting stuff in a report about At-Large, but I'm not quite sure why any of this is in a public comment. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, fair enough. This is the whole point, too, that these were – as I said, when I was actually pulling them together, just pulling in a whole lot of things that were relevant to us, some of those have actually been changes, [I must admit], that have been additions.

But, if they're not considered relevant, I'm quite happy to pull them out or to amend it in some way, especially if we do need the resources and they support what's in the review. But, as you say, the discretionary fund, [in] the first paragraph, could possibly be amended a bit.

But, I did want to mention, for example, the IGF issue. Cheryl raised it. When we did the additional budget request, we knew that – and from the comments that Heidi and I had heard from Mary Wong – because the IGF request had been rejected the previous year, it was more likely they would not be accepted for this year.

So, we thought, "Well, we might as well just pull them out and just focus on the other important issues that we had raised for the ABRs." But, because we've done so, I just wanted to say that I felt that we could perhaps be a little bit more forceful in what we were saying about our involvement in the IGF.

But, I don't know how we might say that, apart from the gobbledygook that's there at the moment. But, Cheryl, is there any way, in some of the things that you mentioned earlier, that that could be incorporated in some way?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Maureen, of course. And I've put it in the Google document already. So, some of the words that I used when I was speaking in this call – so, someone can go back and listen to the transcript or whatever – [are] high-level, overarching, strong support for continued if not expanded involvement of ICANN in Internet governance matters. That's a big umbrella statement. Get that into the longevity work, [then back to your hand] all you can leverage from. Okay? That type of approach. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. Good. Okay. Marita?

MARITA MOLL: Can everybody hear me? Because I'm in a different location. So, I don't know if it's working.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, we can hear you.

MARITA MOLL: Okay, good. Thank you. I completely agree with what Alan and Cheryl had to say about minutiae in large documents. And I'm partly guilty for putting some of those minutiae in. I want to say, Maureen, feel free to delete any minutiae that I put in there because I put them in there just to highlight things that I thought in my experience were missing.

In whatever high-level comments we make, we ought to know what are the minutiae we think would be included in our thinking about high-level comments, if you know what I mean. If we say something like, “We need the resources to be able to go out there and reach people and give them stuff and give them stuff that’s interesting,” we don’t have to say, “Give them this, this, that, and the other thing.” But, as long as we actually [stay] at a high-level.

So, that’s partly my fault. I didn’t mean that all of that should be included, but just to highlight it. Delete whatever. Ignore whatever. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Marita –

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I do appreciate – yes, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I’m sorry. I cannot get my AC to function. Just really quickly, what my overall view of this document as it is that there’s a lot of focus on outreach and engagement, particularly outreach, with terms of swag, brochures, pop-ups, banners, etc. It looks there’s one paragraph on

support policy development, policy-related and advisory activities. Thank you for asking for the additional [full-time] equivalent there.

But, in terms of the focus of this document, I would suggest that there be much more focus on the policy advice development aspects and where the budget might help with that, rather than focusing on the IGF, which is a non-ICANN meeting, [for which] we're talking about brochures, communication, pop-ups, swag. Those are all things that you can cover now with RALO discretionary funding. I'm assuming that's going to continue.

So, I don't know why there's this emphasis on that when a real emphasis, in my view, should be on how At-Large is going to do more for policy development advice. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

That's [good]. This is the first we've actually really had a chance to really talk this out. I have asked for comments to have been made earlier. Thankfully, Marita and Tijani and Sarah have added their bits and pieces. But, it has not been as in-depth as this one. This is exactly what we need. So, thank you for that. We'll go through it again.

I think, too, that one of the things that – so when we're doing that summary statement at the front, it's important that we focus, as you say, on the policy side of things. We will definitely go through this. I think that, even though – for example, although we're talking about the LACRALO translation tool, if that's not right, [there are policy discussions that aren't] going to happen anyway.

So, sometimes there are process issues which are important to ensuring that discussions can take place. But, that's a kind of issue that we need to be looking at: what has the greatest impact on what we do with regards to policy.

But, that's fine. I've made that comment, put that comment in there so that I can take note of that for later.

Alan? Sorry.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. If we want to comment on IGF at all – and I'm not sure we even need to – I would say it's an important mechanism for raising stakeholder consciousness and not just for the Board and staff. Period. I would not mention At-Large. I would not mention Paris. I would not mention booths and late arrivals. Any time you sink down into that level, people are going to say, "Ah. All they're looking for is money." And even if we are looking for money, this is not the right place to do it.

So, this is a strategic document, and I think we need to keep it at that level and minimize the number of places it looks like we're putting our hand out, saying, "Please give us some gold." Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. Good one. That's great. Thank you. Marita?

MARITA MOLL: Thank you. I think Heidi pointed out an interesting problem, but in a way, it's a Catch-22, isn't it? Because it is a policy, you need the people. In order to [get] the people, you need the outreach. To do the outreach requires the resources that – we need those resources to do the outreach in order go get people in do the policy.

We can say that. I think that's our job to do that outreach. It's valid to say you can't be expected to this policy if you can't bring in enough to do the work. Basically, that is the problem, all the way down the line in ICANN. We can't bring in enough volunteers to do the work. That's it. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Marita. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Hello? Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, we do.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you very much. I hate to disagree with Heidi, but here I cannot say that IGF is not an ICANN activity. I didn't say that it's an ICANN activity. I didn't say that it is an ICANN activity, but there is at least two strategic objectives of ICANN in the current strategic plan that says that we have to interact with the Internet ecosystem and we have

to – how to say? – more or less lobby – not lobby, but make people know more about ICANN and make the ecosystem more friendly with ICANN. This is something that is done through IGF.

I agree with Alan that we don't have to mention At-Large at all. It is for the whole community. But, [inaudible] IGF with the Board and the staff is not what is needed because it will not show that ICANN is multi-stakeholder. It doesn't show that ICANN is not a [mop], etc. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Tijani. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Am I off mute now? We're all having mute problems.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Cheryl, you're off mute.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: What is with the mute gremlin today? We've all got a mute gremlin in the Adobe Connect room, although Heidi has managed to master her hand one, I see. That's good. The gremlin has moved from Heidi to the muting of the [inaudible]. My apologies for coming back in again. I will be as brief as I possibly can because I've got other calls to get onto, just as Olivier has.

Just again – and I really wanted to react to Marita as well – keep this high-level, please. This is, as Alan said, a strategic document. Avoid

anything that says, “RALO.” Replace anything that talks about terminology that is specific to our community within At-Large and replace it when you’re putting your sentences together with a terminology that is ICANN-community-based.

Otherwise, this is the equivalent of saying a particular voice – the Indian-speaking subgroup within the Business Constituency – has a concern, right? It undervalues you voice. So, keep your language use at the enhance of ICANN community [in], not anything to do with RALO. And to be honest, not much to do with ALAC and AT-Large, either.

If you’re going to use the terminology “At-Large,” use it in the [writ] large meaning; in other words, rank-and-file public interest activities that are represented by a number of components of ICANN, including the ICANN Board.

So, yeah, just be really smart about your final language. I don’t know, Maureen. I think you might want to have – I know you’ve called for comments, and the truth is, we’re all volunteers and – even me – are really, really busy with limiting times to get to so many competing “Come and play in my document” calls that most people, unfortunately, [aren’t] going to do when you’ve got a call organized like this, just like I am right now, which is why we, in fact, have calls like this. Otherwise, we would just have collaborative Google Docs and never have to speak to each other.

As tempting as that is, can I also suggest, as we move forward on this, that we have some sort of drafting sub team put together? Because when Tijani’s substantive comments, then we’re going to just have –

well, we're just going to have more comments. Someone's got to bludgeon this into a high-level document that is going to be effective.

And don't forget, all the comments are then subject to peer review by the Empowered Community. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much. Already, the comments that we've had this morning have been really, really valuable. I can see myself slashing my way through it already. But, I've really appreciated the comments that have been made today. As you say, I'll go through the transcript again and [use] some of the words that have already been raised.

So, Heidi, is your hand up for a reason?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I'm going to now just support Cheryl and say that perhaps a sub group can get this into a more high-level strategic shape. Thank you so much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes. It was my intent by starting earlier to get things in, hoping that a lot of people would be interested in [us] to go through and say, "Well, we don't need this," or, "Let's save this." As I said, I've only mentioned that, before today's meeting, the three people who've actually contributed. Judith, of course, is making her contribution to the two-year planning consultation doc, which we haven't had a chance to go through. But, that's not something that's really urgent.

But, the FY20 – and I will go through it and put the schedule doc out, and I would really appreciate people having a look at it again and really hacking away at it until we get it down to something.

And we've got – how long do we got for the ... a couple of weeks? Or a week? Is it a week? Is it the 8th or something?

Okay. It's to be done fairly urgently.

Okay. This is going to be an hour call, was it?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, Maureen.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, it was.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. I know that people have to go to another meeting, so thank you very much for coming. I'd really like to get started on this straightaway. So, I think I thought I had a bit of a free day today, but obviously not.

So, thank you very much for your contributions. They've been really helpful. I will work on it today. So, if you can keep an eye on it and give me a hand with it, that'd be really, really great. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]