

**Attendance:**

Brian Beckham  
David McAuley  
George Kirikos  
Greg Shatan  
Griffin Barnett  
John McElwaine  
Kathy Kleiman  
Kristine Dorrain  
Maxim Alzoba  
Michael Karanicolas  
Zak Muscovitch

Apologies:  
Susan Payne

Staff:  
Mary Wong  
Julie Hedlund  
Ariel Liang  
Michelle DeSmyter

**AC chat:**

Michelle DeSmyter:Dear all, welcome to The Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) Sub Team for Sunrise Data Review call on Wednesday, 20 February 2019 at 18:00 UTC.

Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda wiki page: <https://community.icann.org/x/6J8WBg>

George Kirikos:Hi folks.

David McAuley:about to dial in

David McAuley:I am #8222

Michelle DeSmyter:Thank you David!

Julie Hedlund:@All: This call will start at 5 minutes past the start of the hour.

Maxim Alzoba:Hello All

Greg Shatan:Hi all.

George Kirikos:Preamble.

George Kirikos:None. :-)

Julie Hedlund:@Greg: Kathy has her hand up.

George Kirikos:I agree with David.

David McAuley:That was my sense, yes

Griffin Barnett:I'll make the samw note as I did in the Claims sub-team, which is to say I was not able to add any new comments this week due to other matters taking up my bandwidth; will try and get back on track in the coming week after this call

David McAuley:hand up  
Julie Hedlund:@Greg: George has his hand up  
Maxim Alzoba:Question : do we have something saying that those Registries represented all RySG? (about 2016 Subteam review)  
Julie Hedlund:@Greg: Brian has his hand up.  
Maxim Alzoba:if no - then they preresented their own TLDs/Registries  
Griffin Barnett:Let's move on for goodness sake  
David McAuley:two hands up, first George then me  
Julie Hedlund 2:@George: It wil be helpful if you could add your comments to the Google doc once we open it back up after the call.  
Maxim Alzoba:I belive it is opinions , not proven data  
George Kirikos:Yes, just unrepresentative anonymous anecdotes, Maxim.  
Griffin Barnett:Just like all the other data  
David McAuley:Kathy hand up (1)  
Griffin Barnett:lol  
Maxim Alzoba:I think data from startup data for TLDs website is not a set of anecdotes  
Griffin Barnett:I was being hyperbolic Maxim, but in any case was mainly referring to the data sources we have been reviewing in this group thus far  
Maxim Alzoba:that data was and is in ICANN systems (such as , but not limited to TMCH, GDD portal s e.t.c.)  
Griffin Barnett:Digression Greg, no worries  
David McAuley:I think I neglected this one inadvertently  
David McAuley:#4, that is  
David McAuley:George hand up (1)  
George Kirikos:+1 Greg  
Maxim Alzoba:a single one hypothetical could  
Maxim Alzoba:hypothetically  
David McAuley:hand up George  
Kristine Dorrain:+1 Greg, I think there is some imprecise language throught the anecdotes...but that's par for the course  
David McAuley:it is anecdotal  
David McAuley:hand up George  
David McAuley:woops  
George Kirikos:That's the same comment I had, page 59 (sunrise too short).  
George Kirikos:I cite page 51 in preamble.  
David McAuley:hand up Kathy (1)  
Kristine Dorrain:fair enough  
George Kirikos:Nada for the rest from me, except for preamble.  
Kristine Dorrain:I was reading from 5a but I take the point that it applies.  
George Kirikos:Page 15 summarizes page 51, so they're the same data.  
Kristine Dorrain:got it  
David McAuley:Kathy - is that old hand?  
George Kirikos:Correct, it's been covered.  
David McAuley:no hands right now  
David McAuley:this slide 52 was very indirect in my view  
George Kirikos:I'd have put "No" since they don't mention SDRP directly.

Maxim Alzoba:I believe many people are trying to follow EPDP this week (the same is going to be for the next one - since it is final final paper)

David McAuley:anecdotal also captures it

David McAuley:no hands yet

Griffin Barnett:I take David's point, although I think in context "DRPs" in that comment refer to UDRP/URS but understand the potential ambiguity

David McAuley:probably so Griffin

Maxim Alzoba:also PICDRP e.t.c.

Kristine Dorrain:+1 Griffin, but I'm willing to consider that users have extrapolated their experiences and maybe that reflects why the SDRP hasn't been used.

David McAuley:no hands yet

George Kirikos:Agree with David M.

George Kirikos:Nothing on SMD.

Mary Wong:Revoked SMD files cannot be used

David McAuley:Maxim hand up

Griffin Barnett:Kristine, it's a reasonable suggestion; although I suspect most folks just are not even aware of the SDRP or what its purpose is

George Kirikos:Agree again with David, nada on #8.

Kristine Dorrain:Even more correct probably Griffin.

George Kirikos:But, that's not from the INTA study.

Kristine Dorrain:also nothing on #8

Griffin Barnett:Personally I think SDRP could be a more useful tool that could address a number of SUNrise related issues, with proper enhancements and broader notoriety

Griffin Barnett:But that's a discussion for another time

Kristine Dorrain:+1 Griffin

David McAuley:nohands yet

Maxim Alzoba:that was fast :)

Mary Wong:The "requirement" for SDRP is just that ROs have one, IIRC. If there is no data/cases to show use or effects, it's hard to see what specific recommendation can be made to change the SDRP requirement.

Kristine Dorrain:Was that a weird Adobe glitch or did Greg moonlight as an auctioneer in law school

Kathy Kleiman:Michael has his hand raised, Greg

David McAuley:hand up Michael K

David McAuley:on Q10 i said 'profit' and meant 'proof'

George Kirikos:Verisign....always profit on their mind. ;- ) (just teasing)

David McAuley:should have limited comment to slide 30

David McAuley:LoL

David McAuley:my hand then Kathy

George Kirikos:Agree with David M here too.

Kathy Kleiman:Maxim, did you want to comment on 11?

George Kirikos:On to preamble.

David McAuley:hand up George (1)

michael.karanicolas:It's part of the may 10 slide package

Greg Shatan:Aha, thanks Michael

David McAuley:Michael K next hand up

Maxim Alzoba:@Kathy, I am not sure if we documented reference to the same F2F meeting where TMCH not accepting symbols such as ó affected European TM holders (scripts with non english accents e.t.c.)

David McAuley:hand down by Michael

David McAuley:Kathy is next hand up

Maxim Alzoba:@Kathy - I meant the same F2F meeting where Amadeu described ALP issue

David McAuley:Kathy and then Maxim hands up

George Kirikos:2nd and 3rd docs didn't have much.

George Kirikos:(they're really just related to the 1st doc)

David McAuley:agree with George re 2nd and 3rd

Maxim Alzoba:Registries can not sell (make registrations ) anything to any legal body which is not RAA 2013 Registrar

Maxim Alzoba:Parking happens on Registrar level , not on Registry level

George Kirikos:That might be an unintended effect, rightly said, Kathy.

Kathy Kleiman:INTA Cost Impact Survey, page/slide 23

Kristine Dorrain:When we review all of the data, we need to consider how we take into account issues with language imprecision. Maxim is right, but your average brand owner might not have that level of understanding. Similarly regarding descriptive language, I note that where we discuss "predatory pricing" we need to take that with a grain of salt, much like we are careful not to assume that all domain name portfolio registrants are cybersquatters.

George Kirikos:+1 Greg

Kristine Dorrain:^Not to start a debate today, but to note that we should maybe have this discussion before we dive in.

Griffin Barnett:Perhaps for further clarity, the RNH would need to instruct or allow the Registrar to do the parking (or in some cases maybe a separate web host)

Maxim Alzoba:do we have 90 or 60 minutes?

George Kirikos:60 minutes, see top right pod.

Maxim Alzoba:ok

George Kirikos:9 minutes left.

David McAuley:Kathy hand up

George Kirikos:Additional Data Sources I identified (and posted to the RPM PDP). These should be considered for next week. <https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2019-February/003651.html>

Julie Hedlund 2:@Kathy and Kristine: It will be much appreciated if you could add your comments to the preamble question as they pertain.

George Kirikos:David and I both looked through them, and found nada.

David McAuley:Agree with George on that

David McAuley:sorry - i missed hands as I toggled between docs

michael.karanicolas:Also - I believe the deadline for Individual Proposals is tomorrow - yes?

Julie Hedlund 2:@Michael: That's correct. Thanks for the reminder.

Julie Hedlund 2:Actually, I think it was extended.

Julie Hedlund 2:Let me check.

David McAuley:Julie - is it possibly 27 March?

Julie Hedlund 2:It is extended to the end of March -- individual proposals

George Kirikos:But, extreme workload didn't allow enough time to get all these in via the tool.

Julie Hedlund 2:Yes David.

Julie Hedlund 2:27 March

michael.karanicolas:Ok - good to know.

George Kirikos:Deadline for individual proposals didn't make sense, since the subteam recommendations wouldn't be final yet.

George Kirikos:(individual proposals are mainly a response to perceived shortcomings/gaps in the sub team proposals)

David McAuley:no more hands

Maxim Alzoba:bye all

Griffin Barnett:Bye all

Kathy Kleiman:Tx Greg, tx All!

David McAuley:Good bye all,