
YESIM NAZLAR:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ICANN 64 APRALO activities planning call taking place on Thursday, 31st of January 2019 at 05:00 UTC.

On our call today we have Satish Babu, Maureen Hilyard, and Ali AlMeshal, as well as Lianna Galstyan. We have received apologies from Joyce Chen.

From staff side, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, Jia-Rong Low, Save Vocea, Hann Kenn Yee, and myself, Yesim Nazlar. I'll be doing call management for this call.

Before we start, just a kind reminder to please state your names before speaking, even though we all know each other. And now I would like to leave the floor over to you, Silvia. Thank you very much.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you very much, Yesim. Welcome to all. Well, as you know, the purpose of this call is to touch base on the event to take place in Kobe, Japan, and [we have been] exchanging some ideas through e-mail on how to work together to leverage our efforts, and we think our [inaudible] and for the collaboration.

So, without more introductions, I think we can start with the first item on the agenda. One of the topics we have been discussing is the approaching ISOC Japan and a possible meeting with them in Japan. Jia-Rong has been in touch with them, so I think Jia-Rong, perhaps you would like to give us an update and start discussing how we can better

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

work with ISOC Japan and engage them in our work. So, thank you, Jia-Rong. [Please, if you can,] give us an update. Thank you.

JIA-RONG LOW:

Thank you very much. So, we have been corresponding on e-mail, and I want to thank Save for keeping the momentum going and sending a note to the group about the outstanding items.

So, basically, on my side, on me personally, there are various different groups who are looking at the outreach, and Save and I agreed that Save would put his foot on the gas pedal, so to speak, to keep the momentum going, especially for this group. So, thank you, Save, and we will continue to have this tag team structure between Save and I. So, thanks, Save, for this.

I'll update quickly first, and we can talk about the action items. So, what we have agreed as a group between APRALO leadership team and myself, and [inaudible] ISOC Japan is that basically, ISOC Japan has not been very active in the past couple of years. The reason behind this largely is within their own leadership, but they are keen to talk to us and talk to APRALO specifically at the Kobe meeting to explore how can APRALO help them really think about their activity, especially on the At-Large side.

So, ISOC Japan has been more focused on the IETF, and all they've been doing in the past two years has been to conduct IETF readouts. What I envision our meeting with ISOC Japan should be would be to have a quick catch-up, to ask ISOC Japan how they are doing, what are some of

their focus areas, and also for APRALO to share your focus areas, especially the last year.

And I think we can share with them our collaboration, especially like when Satish went to Vietnam, we're looking at going to Myanmar. We hope that APRALO could have a strong partnership with ISOC Japan to strengthen the activities and to strengthen the network within Japan through ISOC Japan.

So, that's the overall approach for the meeting, and ISOC Japan is receptive. So, the two action items we need to talk about is first to agree on a date and time for the meeting. It'll be a small meeting between ISOC Japan leadership and APRALO leadership supported by [APAC] staff.

So, I understand that the action item is they flagged a couple of windows for Sunday, and on my side, if I were to suggest, would be to do it on Sunday, 3:30 if everybody is available. I also know that [inaudible] from ISOC Japan reached out to Maureen separately. So, [inaudible] told me that actually, he can liaise with Maureen directly to finalize the details, but I think it's fine for ICANN staff to continue to support this, [because it's built into a] formal structure. So, we can continue to work on [inaudible] format.

So, the first thing is to agree on a date and time. Are we all okay with, say, Sunday, 3:30 for an hour? And then the second issue is to work out a draft agenda. So, I highlighted the approach, but it would be nice if we can have an agenda written down so we can share with ISOC Japan and then they can [inaudible].

So, broadly, these are the two items on this agenda item. Save, do you have anything to add before we move for discussion?

SAVE VOCEA:

Thank you, Jia-Rong. I think what you touched on is pretty much what we all know right now. I think we are all on the same level. just for me, my side of things, when Maureen was sharing on e-mail that she would meet [inaudible] I think that is a good sign, and they could actually also work together. But I also agree on the approach that we all just continue on in this format where we just support each other.

Apart from that, yes, the agenda, [concept] to prepare an agenda is probably an important one if we can work on that and agree on the time as well on the Sunday.

So, I think we throw it back to APRALO leadership's court just to see if everyone's flexible, and let's continue working this way, and then we'll just put together a draft.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks, Jia-Rong and Save. Can you hear me?

JIA-RONG LOW:

Yes.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

We can.

SATISH BABU: Right. So, I think we are fine with the date and time, but Maureen is the busiest of us all, so I think I would ask Maureen to confirm if the time sounds okay for her. Maureen, over to you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. Sorry, can you hear me? I don't know if I've unmuted myself.

SAVE VOCEA: Yes.

SATISH BABU: Yeah, we can hear you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. The time, we have actually just yesterday having an ICANN 64 meeting, and I think Gisella can confirm this, but we were looking at having a session with Keith Drazek from GNSO sort of like around about that time. But that's not totally important. It is Keith introducing himself to the ALAC and At-Large.

But I think that this is very important, and I think too, as Jia-Rong said, it's important that we start off – like we really do have a group meeting [afterwards.] As you mentioned, Jia-Rong, that there are things that you can share about what you've been doing around the region with APRALO.

And I guess my engagement with [inaudible] is because I have been working with him for several years anyway on the DotAsia board, and so I know him and he knows me quite well. We've worked together quite collaboratively on that other work.

And also, it's been quite interesting, because I really did have great hopes for ISOC Japan after our initial meeting. Satish and I met with them in the APRICOT meeting in Japan. So, I think [Atsushi] and his team are very keen to rejuvenate the ISOC chapter, and I can appreciate what he's going through, because as Save will know that the Pacific Islands chapter is also going through a bit of a rejuvenation process itself. So, I can empathize with some of the things that he may be going through.

But I think that what we're establishing now, and starting off the meeting as a group and sharing those experiences that we are sharing with APAC, and I think that's one of the important things that they've got to do, is actually establish a good relationship with you, Jia-Rong, and just for them to know that there's always that support there as well as from APRALO. And I know from the ISOC community as well, because there are a lot of ISOC chapters around Japan.

So, we could be encouraging more networking between the ISOC chapters as well. And I think that that is one of the ISOC objectives, which Satish could probably tell us more about, but I think that those sorts of things ... and I suppose I can share with you that Göran is very keen for, while Rinalia is in Kobe, we are going to be having a meeting with her and León, because he is our At-Large board member, along with Sally Costerton and David Olive.

So, we're going to be also looking at how we can support ISOC chapters and encourage their further engagement as ALS members. So, there are quite a lot of things that are actually happening that are going to be supportive for ISOC Japan. But I think for us, it's got to start from home, and our home is, of course, the APAC Hub, and having Jia-Rong and Save and the rest of the team there in support. So, I'm very happy with the process that we've got going at the moment.

And the timing, I think we'll go with the timing because it suits them. If it suits you, Jia-Rong, we'll go with that, and it'll just be one of those session which someone else can take for the ALAC. It's not a problem. I'm sure they won't miss me. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks, Maureen. So, I think we are okay with the time and date. Should we prepare an agenda for this meeting, or leave it kind of open ended? Jia-Rong?

JIA-RONG LOW:

For the Japan context, we should prepare an agenda, because you might know for Japanese meetings, they want to come very well-prepared and to know what to talk about and so on. So, if we can prepare agenda, including things that we want them to think about, for example they've been thinking about what kind of groups should they be reaching out to, or maybe we think they should do one engagement activity in the next year, and APRALO leadership can support, we can put some of these questions down so they can think about it, and then when we meet, the discussion will be constructive.

So, Japanese culture, they want to be well-prepared for these things, so I would recommend strongly that we actually have an agenda.

SATISH BABU:

I think that's a great point. So, between Jia-Rong and Maureen and the three of us, [the] APRALO leadership, we will then prepare an agenda over e-mail over the next, maybe, week or couple of weeks. I hope that's fine.

So, Ali and Lianna, is there anything that you want to add to this discussion?

ALI ALMESHAL:

Yes. Thank you very much, Satish. First of all, I would like to thank Jia-Rong a lot for his help and support, and sorry for bothering you for a number of e-mails and follow-ups continuously, but you are always there for support, so thanks a lot.

So, two things here. First, I totally agree with Jia-Rong about having an agenda. It's very much important. And also, now we need to know the timing. I can see that the timing is 3:30, so, [are we] having a 60-minute meeting, or a 90-minute meeting? So based on that, the agenda can be customized based on this.

The other point here is, I think Maureen has just touched base on it which in my mind. We want to look for more potential ALSes [in] At-Large from Japan itself. That was one of my main objectives of getting into the community of Japan. So, to look into more potential ALSes to join us, active ALSes to join us.

So, I think maybe as Maureen stated, we'll have some support from ISOCs. If there are a number of different ISOC within Japan, then those can be a good potential. And if we will have any of those ISOC representatives within our meeting in Kobe, that will be great. So, I don't know, Jia-Rong, if you're aware about any of those who will be attending. So we need to approach them and see how we can get them engaged with us as an ALS. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: if I can just [inaudible]

JIA-RONG LOW: Regarding –

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, go ahead, Jia-Rong.

JIA-RONG LOW: No, Maureen, go ahead, please. Regarding, Ali, your other question about other ISOC chapters in Japan, I'll try to find out. What I've heard so far is not that positive. So, I'll try to find out to see whether there are any other groups, but [inaudible] I get is we kind of have to go into a reboot, which is established through this meeting with ISOC Japan.

So, we leverage on this opportunity of the Kobe meeting, and then we have this face-to-face with ISOC Japan, then we can plan out something in the longer term. And [inaudible] how my office has been supporting

the APRALO leadership team, we can explore another collaborative visit to Japan if we can plan some partnership with ISOC Japan.

So, I'm envisioning it to be [inaudible].

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks, Jia-Rong. I think, Maureen, your hand is up, so I don't know who's managing the call here. Is it Silvia, Satish? Someone [just please] manage the call.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. Maureen is first, and then Lianna, please.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. I just wanted to mention [while] we're talking about ISOC Japan, is that while we're in Korea for example of the APRICOT meeting, what I had hoped was that because I'm actually going to be staying in Korea until the meeting in Japan, and during that time, I hoped that I might be able to make contact with ISOC Korea, which Y. J. Park established a few years ago. Reestablished, I think. I think it had gone [inaudible] and then she reestablished it. But I tried to make contact with her and haven't had any response.

I've also tried to make contact with the primary contact of the second Korean chapter. No, it's not a chapter, it's an NGO. And I haven't been able to make contact there either. So, there's an issue that we could be working on within that area. I know ISOC Hong Kong is very active, so we need to leverage off a successful chapter within that area to see how

we can provide that networking group. Just thought I'd add that because I think it goes beyond ISOC Japan.

So, I'll put my hand down now.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you. Next is Lianna.

LIANNA GALSTYAN: Thank you. I'd like to thank Jia-Rong and Save for keeping this ball rolling and trying to contact and provide this opportunity for the meeting for all of us and the ISOC Japan. I have a question about the participation, but not only the ISOC Japan members. Do we have any contacts with the ... I was thinking about the IGF community, because I know that IGF Japan is very active, and since it's a multi-stakeholder community, there might be some people interested to become probably a new ALS. So, we can try to reach out to them.

So, first question, do we have any contacts that we can try before going there to somehow reach out to them? Or if not, I can try through the national and regional IGF network within the IGF secretariat to find out those contact and try to do some outreach before.

And also, a second one, as you know, we do have a Social Media Working Group, and all of the team is eager to reach out to the local community, probably making some social media announcements in Japanese so that we can bring more local people to At-Large meetings, to make announcements about the sessions, etc.

Do we have anyone other than the ISOC chapter [inaudible] contact? Or if not, then probably, can we contact him in this regard as well for the social media? Thank you.

SATISH BABU: Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. Next is Satish.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Silvia. A couple of points. One is regarding additional ALSes in Japan. Knowing the traditional priorities of Japanese society, I think this could be a sensitive matter, and we have to treat it with some caution, particularly since the main ISOC has been somewhat inactive or dormant. They should not get the feeling that we are bypassing them and looking for other partners. So, I would leave it to Maureen and maybe Jia-Rong to let us know after some informal consultation as to what would be the best way to approach the matter of additional ALSes.

This is not like other countries. Like in India, there's no problem in increasing the number of ALSes. None of the ALSes consider themselves the national ALS. But the situation in Japan could be different. I'm just flagging this.

Second point is about individual members. Now, we would like to encourage individual members. Again, we need some guidance on this as to, could we go straight out and say, "Okay, anybody could join us?"

Are there any caveats? So, this is another area where we could use some guidance.

So, I also want to apologize, I have to leave shortly, and I'll get the rest of the meeting action items from the transcript of this call. Thanks very much.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you, Satish. And next, I have Jia-Rong, please.

JIA-RONG LOW:

Thank you. So, great point, Satish, and personally, I feel that it would be more prudent of us to approach this on a step-by-step basis. So, we start off with meeting ISOC Japan, we tell them about what [APRALO is thinking,] which is more ALSes in Japan, and then see what their response is.

They could say, "No, you should work through us," and from there, we will know what to do. If we were to jump quickly to look for members, it could look like bypassing them. And also, the Japanese community being so collectively [inaudible], they might not feel comfortable being individual members as well. So, I do think that it'll be a reboot. We start off with ISOC Japan as a starting point.

Now, the related point to this about IGF Japan, there is an opportunity. So, in late February, there is going to be a Japan IGF readout. So, I've been invited to go and talk about the ICANN meeting, and I can also talk about what APRALO is doing on your behalf and explain that [inaudible] this community, APRALO hopes to meet with some of you when you are

in Kobe. Then I will have a better sense of who is going to be there, and I can arrange for something, which I think will be great.

So I can try that, but in terms of like, to say, “Oh, we want to invite you to the [ALAC] and so on,” I think we can approach it a bit more carefully first. So I would, in late February, invite them to go to Kobe, and if I know who’s going to Kobe, I can invite them to network with APRALO. But I wouldn’t talk to them about, “Oh, we want you to join as ALS” at this point yet.

So then after we have the meeting with ISOC Japan and if we are very clear what the direction should be, then we can then start raising these points later on. That would be my suggestion.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Great. Excellent. Thank you very much, Jia-Rong. We are taking note. Next, I have Ali.

ALI ALMESHAL:

Yeah. Thank you, Silvia. Just a question to Jia-Rong. Now, if we are done with this point, you remember we have discussed before we moved to the other point, which is the networking, the point of having students and others coming, interested community coming to the ICANN meeting and do a pre-event to them. Is that still valid, that we can do a pre before the ICANN meeting, and then get all of these students and interested community to attend some of the sessions during the ICANN?

Because this [is thing that] we are looking for, also looking for along with the outreach and engagement community. So, I don't know if this is still valid or not. thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Ali. Jia-Rong, please.

JIA-RONG LOW: Thank you, Ali. So, yeah, for this group, basically, the pre-event is something that DotAsia is working on. They want to do a pre-ICANN meeting “academy” kind of thing. Maureen [inaudible] basically like NetMission wants to reach out to Japanese students and do like a pre academy of sorts so that when they attend the ICANN meeting, they will be briefed enough to know what to do.

And the idea I shared with Ali when we were in Barcelona was if DotAsia gets this together, then we can actually invite APRALO leadership to be mentors to these students.

Now, I've not updated this yet because the year-end break and in January, DotAsia has been a little bit quiet, but recently, they've reignited the conversation, so they're working on it again. Once they have [better] details, like the program, who are the students that will likely be going, and all that, then I will share back with this group to suggest involvement.

So, this is still in the works at this point, but I don't have enough information to share with us such that we have a very clear sense what

the concrete items are. But it is a good heads up for everyone that this is going to happen.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Excellent. Very good, Jia-Rong. Thank you so much. So, I think we can move to the next item. We have the APAC Space and APRALO networking event. Basically, we have been talking to Jia-Rong about the possibility of joining our [forces] and doing a combined networking event. So, Jia-Rong, if you would like to explain the structure of the APAC Space, and we can discuss more details, please.

JIA-RONG LOW: Yes. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you.

JIA-RONG LOW: Sorry, I realize I issued the APAC [inaudible] and not APAC update, so I do apologize [inaudible]. I think I wrote it too quickly. So, it's actually APAC [Social.]

Just to have everyone on the same page, I understand that the APRALO networking event used to be the APRALO showcase, but we've kind of toned it down to be a networking event, and the APAC Social is something which I started, but I couldn't always do it every time, because getting the room was quite difficult.

But this time around, because it's in our region, I managed to block a time to do an APAC Social. Well, APAC Social, I think some of you may have attended. Basically, it's to complement APAC Space. APAC Space is we have an agenda, we discuss topics, but it has no time for us to network.

So, APAC Social's focus is to allow the community to network with each other. We see each other at APAC space a lot, but we sometimes don't talk to each other and get to know each other and be comfortable. Then it's very hard for us to work as one community.

So, the whole idea for APAC Social is for networking. Now, [part of] APAC Social, we will [do in some time] for speeches, but it's very short. So, I'm hoping to work on a 15-, 20-minute time to do "speeches/introductions." What that means is we have many community members we expect to be attending the ICANN meeting, but of those, we have a handful of community leaders, including APRALO leadership team, Maureen in ALAC, board members, those in the GNSO council and so on.

So, the idea for the "speeches" is to introduce the community leaders so that the rest of the wider APAC community know that they can work with you. That's the whole idea. And the speeches then would be for you to introduce yourself and what are some key areas that you're looking on, and keep that very short. So, that's the whole idea.

Now, I understand [when] Silvia raised the issue of APRALO networking events with me, there was a suggestion of maybe we should think about merging, because we have budget constraints, it's expensive to do

catering in Japan. So, one idea could be we merge the APRALO networking together with the APAC social, because in a way, everyone in the APRALO community would be invited to the APAC social because we are one community to begin with.

The challenge would be if we merge it and APRALO wants to do your usual number of speeches, we might not have enough time for that. So, we'll have to look at something like a condensed version, and focus really on the networking. I think [if you ended a APAC Social event] before, I really made sure that people are talking to people they never talked to. So, that would be one of the goals [inaudible].

So, the [inaudible] is whether you think we should merge, one, join forces, it would be logistical. So, I have a budget which I allocated for basically 60 persons, but I know we can expect about 80 to 100 for the APAC Social. But I realize that we don't have to cater the full amount always because there's always leftover food wasting it anyways.

So, if APRALO also has a budget, we could combine the budget and make it a larger catering, and we can expect [inaudible] as well. So, including APRALO, I'm not sure, would you expect, say, another 60 people? Then we will have that 120 or so. So, that's something we could look at, and this is also a discussion.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay. Thank you very much. I think Ali wants to comment. Yes, Ali.

ALI ALMESHAL:

Yes. Thanks, Silvia. And thanks, Jia-Rong. I guess this would be a great opportunity because we are very much connected and cooperative with the APAC Hub. Also, we are in the same region now, so I think you'll be the best to manage and to get that done, because it's in your region. So it's not like in Abu Dhabi, which is my region.

So, I guess, yes, I'm very much happy to join forces together. That will help, and we'll enrich the networking that we were aiming for. Speeches, yes, I agree with you, and I agree as well with Maureen that, why we need it to be long? It's just short or even no need of a number of long speeches.

So most important is the networking, and we call it within the APRALO get-together. So we need to know the people there, we need to get ourselves more exposed to the community and community [know us] as APRALO leadership so we can have an easy connection with them later on.

On the part of this sponsorship, I know that ICANN staff have something, I think around \$1200 or something like that, if I'm not mistaken. Heidi can comment on this.

On the other side, I tried to reach to DotAsia and the [ICS] from Japan, and I haven't heard from DotAsia yet.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

China.

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes. Sorry, China. And while the ICS have an initial interest, but they were asking for what is the expected budget [we] would need to do that. So now you know the number of attendees for that Social, so I don't know how would we measure that if they will be contributing for the budget for the networking. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, great. Thank you very much, Ali. I don't know if someone else has as comment. I see Maureen's writing. So, "APNIC might contribute to the APRALO event. We can ask DotAsia," say Maureen. Maureen, I think [Pavan] was actually – he took that action item, if I recall well, about approaching DotAsia.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes. [Pavan] is very well-situated to ask DotAsia. And yes, as Heidi says, they have been our traditional sponsors. And no doubt, they are also traditional sponsors for APAC events too. So I think that putting them together, merging the two might be seen to be good for our traditional sponsors to know that they only actually have to deal with one rather than the two different events. We can put it to the [inaudible].

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. So let's maybe take that as an action item for [inaudible] to get back to us [inaudible]

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes. That's what I wanted to ask. Can I just interrupt there? Jia-Rong, when are you actually having your APAC Space meeting? The APAC Space meeting [you usually have.] That's normally just before the Social? Or when are you having it? Because we haven't got that on our schedule yet at the moment.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Jia-Rong?

JIA-RONG LOW: [inaudible] remember off the top of my head the APAC Space session. Oh, Gisella, you got it. Yeah, so it's Monday, 1:30 to 3:00. Then the Social [APNIC.] So, social, we blocked Tuesday 6:30 to 7:30. It's a one-hour slot, mainly because it's very hard, [it always clashes,] so we blocked that time. But if we end later, it's fine. But the official time we blocked is that one hour.

Now, I think I saw another question about when – oh, so Lianna asked [inaudible] schedule. The answer is Tuesday 6:30. In terms of the budget, we looked at how much the catering would cost. So, for 60 persons, catering, it costs \$2500. So, if you're looking at expected number, let's say including APRALO, which also includes At-Large leaders plus some At-Large members, so another 50, we could expect [inaudible]. But I think we can cater for 120, that'll be fine.

So, what we need to do is top up another 60 [inaudible] which means another \$2500. I understand that APRALO, from the support side, we have \$1200, so we just need to find another \$1300. So, if we can get

DotAsia to sponsor, and, say, APNIC to sponsor, we can ask them, "Okay, can you sponsor, say, \$600 each?" I think we'll pretty much be there.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Excellent. Very good, Jia-Rong. I think we have very good chance to put this together. We are taking notes here on the budget. So, we'll take the action item for perhaps Maureen to follow up on the possibility for sponsorship, as well as for Pavan to give us some feedback on the DotAsia sponsorship, if that's okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Great. Thank you so much.

JIA-RONG LOW: [inaudible]

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes.

JIA-RONG LOW: APRALO meeting ISOC Japan is Sunday. APAC Space is Monday and APAC Social is Tuesday. So, in that order.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Great.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Right. So, does that mean that the traditional meeting that we had with all the people together, because – sorry, it’s just that I had the 1:30 Monday was with ISOC Japan. That’s not the traditional meeting [we used to] have with all the APAC members gathering together. Do you know what I’m talking about? That we used to call the APAC Space. No? Okay, that’s alright.

SILVIA VIVANCO: [The APAC Space.]

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay.

SILVIA VIVANCO: APAC Space is Monday, he said. That traditional meeting for all APAC community members. Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, [inaudible] Monday 1:30. So, sorry, because I actually had the – Sunday. Okay, Sunday. Good, got it. Sorry.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Excellent.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, Okay. Thank you. Got it.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, we'll make sure that we have these meetings written down or very well-organized so we know and there are no overlaps and we can be all aware of this event. Ali, I think Ali wants to [inaudible].

Okay. Otherwise, there are any other comments on the sponsorship or the networking? Jia-Rong, please.

JIA-RONG LOW: Just quick question. We are merging. It sounds like that's the approach that everyone is happy with. I just want to check, is there any concern about the title of the event? Are we okay with keeping as APAC Social, or do you want to have inclusion of APRALO or something? I don't mind. I just wanted to raise it. [If the] APAC Social is broad enough, then on the agenda, we can include APRALO and acknowledge the sponsors, we can do all those things there.

So, it's just up for discussion.

ALI ALMESHAL: May I comment?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, you comment first, Ali.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, Ali, Please.

ALI ALMESHAL: Okay, great. Sorry. Yes, Jia-Rong, I guess, yes, we need the APRALO to be seen there as a cooperative event together. We would agree on the speeches, it's needed or not needed, and short or long, but yes, it should be a joint effort between APAC Social and APRALO networking. So, I think that gives us much better view to all of the attendees there.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Excellent. Maureen, please.

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes. And I'm just tending to agree with Ali and with Jia-Rong. I think that APRALO is a subset of APAC anyway, so I think that [as the] APAC event and APRALO networking, for us to be able to share in that event and that whole networking opportunity, for us, is going to be a benefit. So, I think that making it a joint APAC APRALO, just to sort of highlight that collaboration, and it's actually something that we are really pushing within that whole GSE aspect. We're having a specific meeting of the GSE team with the other RALOs, and I think that this is a good opportunity for us just to demonstrate the way in which the APAC hub or the APAC community actually works with the APRALO, ALSes and individual members. And it's a very inclusive and collaborative working

relationship, and it's something that we're really trying to build amongst the other RALOs who don't experience this. We're trying to get them to understand that it's a very important relationship, that they need to build in, and also to show us how much we have benefited from it.

And I think that this, even the ISOC Japan thing, I think the fact that we're doing it together to support this ALS, I think that that's something also very positive, and I think it's something that we should make sure that we can help to promote within the ICANN system as well. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Very good, Maureen, and I'm also reading here in the chat that [Kenn] from the APAC Hub staff, "We work with Gisella and Meetings staff to organize the logistical details." And of course, and Jia-Rong, as you know, we also put together [inaudible] in our website, we put some picture, the name of the event, all the details. It's like a virtual invite to promote the event. So, we will work with you to have this very nicely in our virtual space, in our Wiki and website to be able to promote it in the social media channels as well.

Great. Excellent. Okay, so I think we covered basically all the main topics. I don't know if someone else wants to raise any other topic or – okay, Heidi says she's not sure who will reach out to APNIC Ali, please.

ALI ALMESHAL:

Yes. Thank you. Just one last point, which is about the booth. We were thinking about the booth, that there will be an ICANN booth, and I think

the newcomer booth, then the outreach, some outreach and engagement activity, as well as the APRALO and APAC hub. So, we need to organize the effort, so just to know exactly how would we go about the booth there. So, would we have any program, any manning to the booth? So we need some volunteers.

So just I want to understand, what is the approach, and does APAC Hub have any idea or any plans to do this there as well?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Thank you, Silvia. So, Ali, what we have heard from Meetings staff to date is that they are trying a new approach starting in Kobe, and that is to have all SOs, ACs and SGs to rotate for their outreach through the ICANN booth. Now, I have written back to Meetings staff saying, well, I'm sure APRALO and At-Large would wish to do that, but at the same time, they would still need at least a table to do outreach and to have a meeting point for their members.

I have not yet heard back, but I will follow up on that, because I do understand how important having at least a table is for your outreach activities. Thank you so much.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Great. Thank you, Heidi. Ali, is that an old hand, or do you wish to speak again?

ALI ALMESHAL: No, it's an old hand. Sorry.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. And speaking of the booth, I also wanted to mention that we will have the brochures in English and APRALO brochures, and also in Japanese to distribute among participants, and people at the booth.

Okay, so I guess that's all. Lianna, please.

LIANNA GALSTYAN: Yes. Thank you. Just to comment on what Maureen said about the APNIC, previously, I haven't contacted to them about this sponsorship, so it came out in the chat that previously, we had [seen] them as sponsors along with DotAsia. I know that Ali talked with Edmon, and they kind of agreed, at least they didn't disagree. So it would be easier, but I have no idea about the APNIC, whether we approached them on this regards sponsorship, or it should be something that I need to start from zero, this discussion. I'd appreciate any information here.

I was talking with Paul just regarding – and [Mikey] for the session that we're planning to do with the GSE team and the [RIRs have never talked about a sponsorship.]

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Thank you, Lianna. I think Maureen, she said that she can talk to Paul. So, we can change that action item for Maureen then to touch base on this. Great. Thank you very much.

So, I think with that, we have covered the main items, and the next steps would be to continue, I guess, emailing each other with progress, and perhaps have another conference call [whereabout] in a couple of weeks to touch base on the progress, if that's okay with you.

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes. Fair enough.

MAUREEN HILYARD: That would be good.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes? Okay. Excellent. Okay. Great. So, let's target [for in] a couple of weeks to touch base, and then continue working online by e-mail on the progress. And gain, thank you so much to our colleagues and to all of you for this great collaboration. [inaudible] It's going to be a great event joining forces. Thank you so much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thanks. Thank you, Silvia. Okay, thanks, everyone.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks, Silvia. Thanks for all. Bye.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you so much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Bye.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you. Bye.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you all for joining today's call. The meeting is now ended. Have a lovely rest of the day. bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]