

---

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

We will now begin the official recording of this call. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, everyone. Welcome to the ICANN 64 Planning Committee call on Friday the 25th of January 2019 at 17:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Daniel Nanghaka, and Jonathan Zuck. From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber; and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management. And Alberto Soto has just joined us as well. Welcome, Alberto.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their name before speaking for the transcription purposes and to mute your lines when not speaking to prevent any background noise. And with this, I turn it over to you, Maureen. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Claudia. Yes, welcome, everyone. A very small group today, but hopefully, we can get some of these slots filled in so that we can move on.

Gisella left some stuff for us to do and some other extra information that we found out during the week, so we'll just move on through that and see what we've got that is pretty much confirmed at the moment. So it makes it a bit easy to slot those bits in. But at least to make a start on it.

Okay, one of the very first things, of course, was the SO/AC meeting that we had the other day, and so the HIT sessions were organized and placed on to the ICANN 64 block schedule. So if you have access to that,

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

clicking through the link, you'll see that the yellow slot, and that strategic planning, which is pretty much, I think, even when we were having our discussion about what was important, that came up, and I think it was for everyone. So that's got the top priority spot on Monday, straight after the opening ceremony.

But the other section later on on Monday was next steps and ICANN's response to the GDPR. There was a request for the EPDP and the GDPR one, and there was something else – can't remember now – but they decided to consolidate all those three topics together, because really, I think it was mentioned that they all incorporated what's going to happen after the EPDP in regards to next steps for ICANN. So yes, they were consolidated into one block, which makes it more interesting.

I think with day six, the Thursday, the session on IDN universal acceptance and innovations in TLDs, there was a little bit of a discussion just yesterday because when that combination was discussed, Julie raised that innovations in TLDs may be an issue that's a little bit outside of what we were looking at with regards to IDNs and universal acceptance. So, I think that that discussion is still carrying on. But I think the IDNs and UA will remain, and it'll just depend on whether the innovation side of things will also remain.

So that's sort of the latest in things that have actually been able to be slotted into the actual block schedule. I've just got an echo there. Okay.

So, that is that slot. Moving on, because we want to try to see if we can get as much as we can get done so we can slot things into our own schedule. So, are there any questions on that? No? Good.

---

Moving on to number three. Okay, our general sessions. This is another sheet, Gisella, we're looking at another schedule here. The open Q&A with ICANN Organization executive team on Wednesday, has that been on our block schedule? Has that been included so we don't conflict it with anything else?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, Maureen, if I may. I'm not in the AC room, I can't raise my hand, and I've got to change gears.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry. Go for it.

GISELLA GRUBER: Not at all. The Q&A session, just so that you know, it is currently on the schedule from 10:30 to 11:30, and then we would swiftly go to the 11:30 to 12:15 with the GAC. However, the ccNSO and GAC have a session at that time, and that has been on the schedule for about a month for them, and Alejandra from the GAC has asked that the Q&A be moved. So it is very tentative, that session. We actually don't know when it's going to be scheduled. So for now, I think I'm hoping by Tuesday, if we do maintain our call on Tuesday, that I'll have more information on when it will be. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Right. Okay. So that's a Q&A one, and the board session on governance, that's something else that I understand that the governance issue

---

within the strategic planning is a major concern for the board, and this is why they're having the special session on it. So I think it's pretty much – yeah, that's set on that Thursday just before the public forum.

And I think that that was – yeah, one of the things that was also discussed. I know that it was one of the things that Göran mentioned with me in my session, and he highlighted then that the governance issue is going to be a bit of a priority for the board as well. So there we go. Right at the very end of the meeting, just before the last session, last public forum.

Okay, any questions or queries on that? And as Gisella said, there's going to be a few more bits and pieces that need to be organized, and I saw that message that came from Alejandra.

Okay. Moving on then, the overview of the main topics for At-Large leadership working session. Okay. So, there is a link in the main schedule that will take you to our schedule, which I've got in a spreadsheet, and so that we've actually got the topics that we are looking at at the moment, and it's really just saying – just checking. If we've all got the spreadsheet or PDF version of the At-Large schedule, you will see that – actually, Gisella, if you are still listening in, there was a note that you actually said that Keith Drazek had suggested a slot on Thursday morning.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Sorry, Maureen, I've sent the Excel and PDF version of the updated At-Large schedule which takes into account the updated ICANN 64 block schedule with the HIT sessions as well as the Q&A, etc., so it'll be

---

updated. What I also sent – and apologies for the tardiness, but I sent it about 10, 15 minutes before the call, I just said – and it'll be ICANN 64 information for the call, and in that, I've put that Saturday, the GNSO secretariat has suggested a 30-minute slot in the morning, and I've also put it on the At-Large draft schedule in red just so that we don't forget, and then we've also got the session with the SSAC which has been penciled in if that suits everyone.

And then that e-mail that I sent, there are a few pointers of session that we need to schedule, and that may just help the discussion. But I understand what you want to do now is try and actually fill our At-Large working sessions with the topics and maybe the duration, etc.

So if we've got a list of topics and duration, I'm sure that with Heidi, we can slot it in and also check if we need any ICANN staff to attend that they're available as well.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Sure.

GISELLA GRUBER:

But hopefully, the e-mail that I sent around will be useful just to see what's outstanding and what's on the radar. And I've also then put in the agenda the ISOC Japan meeting, which I don't think I've put it on the e-mail, I can't remember, because they've got availability on Saturday or Sunday.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: [inaudible].

GISELLA GRUBER: Just going to be doing a reverse parking now, so I'm going on mute.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Yeah, let her reverse. Okay. The reason why I was looking at it is I was actually looking at that particular e-mail that Gisella sent, and that he has suggested the slot on Thursday morning, which is actually our wrap-up session, and so what I wanted to do was just to start slotting where people want to go and so that we don't put too much that's conflicting, especially with our visitors. And I'm sure that we'll be able to include that into there, so I'm just going to there. Have you had a chat with him, Cheryl? Yes, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry. Go ahead. Just a hand up when you have a chance on a different topic.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, okay. Just talking about Keith Drazek at the moment, and I just wondered whether Cheryl had a chance to have a little chat with him just yet and if he's okay with – feels comfortable with [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. It looks like she's just dropped.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, just really quickly, I'm sort of talking about Keith as well, and I see him currently on Monday.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, I saw that, too.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, I thought that the ALAC was expected to go, for the most part, to the EPDP and/or the SubPro because I see that on the draft now. So I'm just wondering ... It would be a shame if everyone missed Keith.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes. Well, I think this is probably why they're suggesting the Thursday morning slot, so that there isn't that conflict.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, perfect.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. Then I'd go with that.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: And just to let you know that they are—

MAUREEN HILYARD: We really have to wait to hear from Cheryl, who might [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, they're just dialing out to her again.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It does help if you press the mute button, not the disconnect button, on your headset when you're trying to [inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, that's right. You probably haven't had enough practice, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I haven't had enough practice. I think this is my body telling me I really am starting to object to spending every one of my national public holidays in ICANN calls at these ungodly hours since 2007. So, you know how I retired earlier this year? My finger decided I was going to [inaudible].

To answer you, Maureen. I do apologize. They're in the middle of their – or, sorry, they're now coming to the end of their GNSO three-day strategic planning sessions that they've been running in Los Angeles. I was obviously with them in the GNSO council meeting yesterday, but in



---

the absence of a topic, no, we haven't had a conversation. But it's easy enough to do so, as I said. That's no problem at all, but not yet.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. No, that's great. Yes, and in light of that kind of busyness that's happening in Kobe, slotting him in whenever he's available, I think we'll do that because it's important.

Okay, so moving through then, just going through, if you have access to the e-mail that Gisella sent out this morning, that gives us something to work on, because [hopefully,] that's looking at some of the issues. On Sunday, the 10th of March—

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just Really quickly back to Saturday, just to confirm that you do want the ALAC to go to those GNSO meetings, except obviously for the At-Large Leadership Development workshop? Is that correct?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: So all day Saturday, except for that workshop, you'd like the ALAC, as many as possible, to be in the GNSO ones? That's my first question.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. Because it takes up the whole day and is on during what is our working sessions, you're right, it would be good to get teams of people there. It's just that if we [inaudible] there that's three big sessions, that's three major sessions of our working time. So, I think that what we can do is if we can work the program that we've got to include into our working sessions, if [we can work out five of these times] and see what we've got, and there may be other sessions that we can actually put into those slots. So those are the three 90-minute sessions from our first day program.

So, yeah, we'll leave those sessions for now, and on Saturday, there's actually one session that's unconflicted, and that's the very last 90-minute session. So, that would have to be our ALAC meeting time where we can include – we can definitely slot that in as something that we can actually have, because there are no conflicts and everyone will be there. Is that reasonable?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so just to confirm, Gisella and I will leave those three 90-minute sessions empty for the time being, and then we'll slot things in as—

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. Alrighty. Okay, so the very last session of the day will be the session where we focus on everyone being there, and it's probably our welcoming one when we actually are all together. Okay, well, that's basically [third day out] at the moment. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Maureen, thanks. Can I just really reinforce the choices you're making there? And let me just briefly tell you why. The mood in the GNSO from the Finance and Budget Committee they've got and so their comments – and this will be a continuing theme, I'm afraid, for a couple of years now. We've seen it coming, but it's definitely here when you see their draft finance and budget comments or when you see it.

They're pitching – and it develops out of the empowered community [inaudible] affirmation of ICANN's mission, etc. They're pitching the role of the GNSO and its bylaw-mandated role as the key importance for ICANN, etc. And along the lines of why any expenditure – especially what some parts of GNSO think is disproportionate expenditure – should ever be attributed to anything that isn't in support of that policy role.

So, you making sure that your faces are being seen firmly engaged in policy during these “horrendously expensive constituency travel supported meetings” are really smart. If I was playing a three-

---

dimensional chess game, I would be definitely playing it along these lines. So just if you're all thinking, "Oh, but when do we get our work done?" Have a couple of extra freaking phone calls, for God's sake. Use these face-to-face meetings for the PR value and the networking and development of relationship value that they really are.

Anyway, enough of my soapbox, but I'm pleased that you're thinking along these lines, and would encourage you to continue to do so.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, exactly. And I think that, for example, in the olden days, a few meetings back, Saturday was pretty much the day when all these sorts of things happened all day, and people came because they wanted to come. But because we're having to condense all our time earlier on in the schedule, there's going to be a conflict.

But I can certainly see your point, and we spent a lot of time on that topic, and I think it would be very good to see for the ALAC and At-Large in general to actually see what happens with our suggestions and how they're being incorporated into the work that they're going to be doing.

So yeah, I'm very keen to make sure that people do attend. Okay, so for Sunday, the only session that has actually—

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Maureen, can I interject something?

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Jon, sure. Sorry.

JONATHAN ZUCK: No problem. I agree completely with Cheryl, but at the same time, I think we have an accountability problem. So I think this whole go out into the wilderness and network and watch policy being developed plan only works if there's some sort of reporting back from people, particularly in the leadership, to hold them accountable to those tasks. That's just my cynical viewpoint.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think one of the good things is that it's at the beginning of the schedule, and when we have our policy session, everyone should have been at the Saturday slot so that we're all coming back with those sorts of messages that come up during the GNSO session, and it should contribute more so to what we're talking about within our own sessions. So, I think that there could be value in that as well. Did you want to add anything, Jonathan? Okay. Alrighty.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I was on mute, sorry about that. Yeah, I want to agree with Heidi's point too that – and this might not all be possible to do everything by Kobe, but ideally, people are out in the world with clear messaging and things as well. So, in addition to wearing ALAC t-shirts as Cheryl suggests, it would be great if everybody was singing from the same hymnal to the degree possible as well. So, I don't know how – it's almost like we need to do a meeting, a call prior to Kobe that's devoted to, "Here's our main

---

message points for ICANN 64, learn them and say them at every conversation,” or something like that. I don't know the best way to handle that, but I feel like it would really behoove us to get on the same page.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah. I agree with you. I think that it's one of the reasons that we're pushing, for example, on outreach and engagement, pushing sort of strategic planning so that everyone – there's a direction and it's a common direction, and everything is related to each other so that we are sending messages, and especially in relation to outreach and engagement, because there are issues related to that whole outreach thing, and that we really need to – for me personally, I really would like them to concentrate on that engagement side of things, and this is where we're pushing for that capacity building that it actually does where the focus is going to be.

But you're right, yes, and I had hoped that we would be able to find some time to get those – what I'm hoping are brief, succinct messages related to those areas, and as you say, that everyone knows about them and that the messages are delivered across the whole of At-Large, and especially, as you say, before we go to Kobe so we're all singing the same tune. Very much agree with that.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Alright. I'll work on some talking points.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, good. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry to skip the queue, just really quickly on that, Maureen, did you want Jonathan to do that, to develop them, and then go through the CPWG and then bring them to the ALAC? Or what's the action item here, please?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Well, it's a good call to take it to the CPWG, getting that message out for a start, Jonathan, and to basically a core group of the community who could come to the CPWG meeting, so that you have actually got, when we come to the discussion at the ALAC meeting – there are people who are solidly behind that and can disseminate the messages that [we're insisting] on across the wider community. And of course, also through the regional leaders. Okay.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Okay, I'll get that started.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. I agree, CPWG [inaudible]. Yes. Okay, thank you, Jonathan. That'd be great. Okay, moving on. The SSAC meeting is actually all in red, so that's good, that's done.

---

Looking on Monday, the At-Large and NCUC outreach, we'll get an update from that with Olivier. It hasn't been included in there as yet, but ... Oh, yes, it has. It's in green. And I'm glad we were able to find a suitable session to get them included early, because it's something that I know that Olivier was very specific about, getting those two sessions. So that's good.

Afternoon At-Large session [possibly] for the RALO leaders. Okay. That's good. Tuesday – oh, yeah, Tuesday, we're having a little bit of a discussion about the networking event, and one of the things that we're talking about at the moment is to possibly merge the APRALO networking event with the APAC hub, which isn't too silly because the APAC hub and APRALO do coordinate quite a lot of the event when we're actually working on our strategic plan. It's very much a collaborative effort, and there is a lot of support from each side for activities that are done at the hub as well as things that happen for APRALO.

So, I'll be supporting that, and we have discussed it as APRALO leadership team, and I think Ali is looking more closely into that. And it just means that it sort of makes it a more unified regional activity, and especially if we also include our regional I-star organizations as well. So, that's work in progress.

For Wednesday, we have that Q&A with the executive team. It's on at the same time as the EPDP and the ALAC. It crosses over into the ALAC and GAC session. So that's a bit of an issue, so I hope they can change that one.



---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Jonathan and Daniel have their hands raised.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry. Yes, Jonathan?

JONATHAN ZUCK: Sorry, that's an old hand for me. Sorry about that.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, okay. Daniel?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: I'm sorry for disrupting in the middle of the presentation, but I wanted to just simply highlight about one of the items that was being planned that was the outreach to the newcomers and the fellows and the NextGen just to mention. So probably, that session is going to be cancelled due to already have another session that is in plan whereby we shall be interacting with the GSE, the RIRs and the TLDs, and the different ICANN stakeholders how we can be able to have engagement

---

and outreach, and also maximize on the [already events that probably could be organizing.] So that is one of the things that I wanted to mention.

Yeah, and then also the agenda for outreach and engagement, I think that is okay, still coming on well. And [inaudible] come up with how we can be able to organize probably a small activity at the booth. [inaudible] for the delegates to come to the booth and then [we can be good to know] how they can be able to engage. It's a kind of like follow-up [on the] delegate on activity that's happening on top of the meeting that will be happening within their respective [inaudible]. I think that's [inaudible].

Yes, and lastly, also there is another session with NPOC. I was speaking to [inaudible] and we are requesting a small group together which Maureen also would be invited to that group on how we can be able to shape the respective agenda, and the discussions during that NPOC with At-Large. Thank you. Back to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Daniel. Yeah, I think what we'll be doing now is we'll be fine tuning some of those activities. I think what we have allocated at the moment is session time where there's the outreach and engagement meeting where there are going to be updates from the different regions, regional co-chairs, and updates within the capacity building, Technology Taskforce, and Social Media working groups. That will probably be about a 60-minute session.

But there's also the workshop, which will include the GSE. That is really important, and that's workshopping, as we've said, about the strategic planning for the regional organizations, the RALOs, and then that's incorporating GSE and any other external regional organizations for each of those things, so that we're getting strategic planning, everyone's getting reports back about other regions, but we're actually sort of sharing that knowledge, coordinating it strategically, and then sharing that knowledge across At-Large. And I think those two areas are really, really important.

With regards to the onboarding, I don't think that there's a need to be doubling up by the outreach and engagement. I know that was one of the first things that you were first initiating, but with the work that Olivier and Tatiana do, and they focus on the fellows and the NextGen for their session, so we don't need to be incorporating it again into another session when it's very capably done there.

So, we just need to look at how we can fit all the things that we need to fit into the thing. As Jonathan mentioned, if we need to hold another webinar for outreach and engagement or something, that we would be doing that before Kobe so that we actually do cover what needs to be covered, but not necessarily in the face-to-face, because we might have thought that we had a lot of time before, but when we want to make that time suitable for everyone to be together and to discuss policy issues and discuss the important messages that we want to get across ICANN, it's important that they take priority and we can deal with everything else in another means. Marita?

---

MARITA MOLL: Hi. This may be a really dumb question, and I missed the beginning, so it may have been answered, but I saw another table of this which actually had some names in this yellow part such as EPDP, strategic planning, etc. Have we decided not to name these At-Large sessions?

MAUREEN HILYARD: No. They will definitely be named. We're not changing any names at the moment. You'll note that in the document that we're looking at Gisella has actually tentatively put in red the timing that has actually been suggested for certain things, especially our visitors, not activities assigned to particular areas, then we will rename [inaudible].

We don't have to – at the moment, just proposing it to the ICANN scheduling section, they don't mind having At-Large leadership working session as a header. But we have the opportunity to change those a little bit down the track once we're a little bit more confirmed about what we're going to be doing. Okay?

MARITA MOLL: Okay. That's great. Thank you. Yes, I was just concerned that we were going to lose the opportunity to do that, but evidently, that's not the case. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: [inaudible]. Thanks. Thanks for raising it, Marita. Okay, so where were we? Sorry. Actually, I must admit when you look at the sessions, there's not too much time left to include too much, but we don't want to lose sight of the policy area discussions that we want to have.

---

Jonathan, did you actually have an idea of how much time you would like to see included in the sessions? Would you like them on a particular day, or would you like them spread across the – how do you [see] would be a good way of bringing in the sessions? And we can work around them, or there's looking at what we've got on our schedule that needs to be incorporated or could be incorporated.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks. I guess I haven't thought about the structure of that at all. I can spend some time looking at the block schedule to see when there's least conflicts or something like that, I just haven't done any of that exercise. I've been just trying to think about who we might invite to speak, to help with those sessions and things like that. So, I was trying to design them.

You had asked me about 60 versus 90 minutes before, and I had said 90 because I'm greedy like that, but I'll make whatever work. I just would love to get folks to take the opportunity when we're face-to-face to have real discussions about some things. So, there's those three sessions. So, let me know. If you need me to try to figure out when they should be, I'll do that. I haven't been thinking about that though.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. And I like the idea [you're saying that you're] looking for people to bring in to expand on whatever the topics are. As long as you've got an idea who they are, just in case we are asking them for something else as well, don't want to double them up.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Thank you, Maureen. Jonathan, just confirming that the three topics now are confirmed. One will be privacy, and security-stability, one is universal access and one is SubPro. Is that right?

JONATHAN ZUCK: That's right. The SubPro is in general. It was more like, how do we get the – there was a subtitle, I guess, too, which was sort of like, how do we get more of the applications we want, or something. So there was an At-Large focus SubPro. Yeah, exactly.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, I have your e-mail. Okay, what [inaudible] applications do we want and how do we get them? Community IDN, underserved regions, etc.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Exactly.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so we're going to confirm that.

JONATHAN ZUCK: And then the other one was the privacy versus consumer protection topic.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

JONATHAN ZUCK: And I thought we might even invite somebody from like Milton or whomever to come and be a counterpoint on that, because that seems to be one of the key areas of disagreement between us and getting conversation going about that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Jonathan, is this the one where we're going to invite Jamie Hedlund as well, or is that going to be another one?

JONATHAN ZUCK: That's something else.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So, Gisella, just wondering if you could start setting out where in the meeting these three policy workshops or sessions will be, because then Jonathan – or the other option is to have Jonathan start reaching out to guest speakers and see about their availability, etc.

---

JONATHAN ZUCK:                   Either way.

GISELLA GRUBER:                Heidi, I can work on that, but also a suggestion would be we can maybe allocate those on Tuesday. My only thinking is that I haven't had any view on iScheduler yet. No internal view on the meeting schedule is visible yet. And I think that might just help us then decide exactly when, because it will also let us know when there are going to be potential conflicts, and then we can maybe narrow down our sessions. So, I'm hoping that'll be done by the weekend. Does that make sense?

HEIDI ULLRICH:                 Yes. Thank you. That would be great. We could just have a policy day on Tuesday. That would be great, because Monday seems to be taken up for the most part by the outreach session.

JONATHAN ZUCK:                 Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH:                 The ALAC/NCUC outreach session. So, okay. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:             Great. Awesome. Gisella, are you in one place and parked the car and all that kind of stuff?



GISELLA GRUBER: I'm just getting inside the car, but I'm here, I'm listening, and I can talk.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Good. Okay.

GISELLA GRUBER: Just give me two minutes and I'll be seated.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. After Olivier's outreach session with NCUC, there is a session that's been tentatively put in for RALO leaders. I would actually like to be at the session with RALO leaders, but it actually conflicts with the auction proceeds session, which I'd also like to be at. So we might need to [inaudible] look at that.

GISELLA GRUBER: Very flexible, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes. And I know this is not in red yet.

GISELLA GRUBER: This is [inaudible] on our radar so that we don't forget it, because it's a 90-minute session.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes. Okay. So we might need to move that. But that's cool. As you say, it's making sure that we don't forget what's there. Okay, now there is the compliance session, 10:00 to 11:00 on Wednesday. Has that been included? Going on to Wednesday.

Okay. Excuse me, but what have we got in here for the 9:00 to – on Wednesday morning, 9:45 to 10:15? Heidi, do you know what that is? Because I think that was when Jamie Hedlund – that was his choice of timing for Compliance.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That is a Gisella question. I'm not sure, because it says part 15 and part 16, so I am not sure what that means. Gisella, are you able to comment on that?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, what was that? Part 15 and 16? You were talking about Compliance.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Wednesday, 9:45 to 10:15, something called [CAN if Q&A].

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, that means cancelled if Q&A at that time, because the thing is that the Q&A isn't set yet. As soon as the Q&A session is confirmed, because it is creating conflict, then if it is – we can use those two little

---

slots. I have submitted meeting forms for it, so we have the ALAC room at those times. I just put there that they would be cancelled if the Q&A came forward. But [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: [Okay, what Q&A?] Are you talking about the executive Q&A?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I can find that out tonight if there are any updates.

GISELLA GRUBER: Well, the latest update was on the list that [Maureen's on] where Alejandra's said that she would prefer for it to be on Monday [inaudible] Thursday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I'll ask [David] tonight, Gisella, on that.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Heidi.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. And it's just that Jamie, he was one of the first ones to actually book a time, and he actually wanted that 10:00 to 11:00 slot.

GISELLA GRUBER: [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, just really quickly, Gisella, sorry. If that is going to be the executive team question and answer, Jamie will need to be there, he won't be able to be at the ALAC.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes. Okay, we'll have to see about – if you can make queries about that, and we'll put a little question mark.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Maureen, just really quickly, I see already on Wednesday that we have the ALAC and GAC, and I'm just wondering – I'm assuming that you'd like to have a GAC prep. That has worked well in the past, so I can put that in Tuesday, just to have a GAC-ALAC prep with Ana and Yrjö. Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes.

GISELLA GRUBER: And [inaudible]

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: One of those sessions would be –

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, also the board prep then, because we've got the board meeting on Wednesday from 8:30 to 9:30.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Very good, Gisella. Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. So, I would say that if we had a session on Tuesday where it's actually dedicated towards preparing ourselves for the ALAC and the GAC, and any other meeting that we're [inaudible]. Probably that last session before the networking event, perhaps, for GAC.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Maureen?

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes. Hi, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, hi. I've been listening in on the call. You mentioned having a prep session. I think it's a really excellent idea. The concern is often nobody says anything. Like, "Okay, so what should we do with the GAC?" And then, "Poof." So, maybe working with Yrjö to stimulate topics and things is a good idea, and maybe before the session, really asking everyone to contribute to that, so it doesn't go in all directions but we already know a little bit what we want with the GAC.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. I think that for the GAC, we've already established some questions, the areas that we're looking at, and I think that that's where we need to highlight with our At-Large, ALAC members in particular, to put some thought into what we can actually contribute to those sessions. And even with the board meeting, they've got their standard questions and that kind of thing, and I think that even for their standard questions, that although it's the ALAC and board, I'd really like to see that more people from the ALAC are actually contributing to it and that they come up to the mic so that they can see that it's not just a couple of people who represent the ALAC at that table, and that everyone within the ALAC does have concerns that they would like to raise with the board.

So, yeah. and if we have more of a talk about it before the meeting and that we've got an idea of people who may want to – again, I think as Jonathan says, it's not just like raising things – it's actually making sure

---

that the board also gets messages that we're actually trying to get across at ICANN, and it's really that – and if different people are presenting some of those messages, I think that it just has a little bit more – again, it's that shared leadership and that shared leadership role that we want to convey to others about the way the ALAC works.

But yes, I think the way in which we approach as an ALAC our presentations at these important meetings and getting our messages across is what we need to focus on. Is that okay with you?

Okay, now how long was this meeting going to go for? Was it just for an hour?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Yes, it is scheduled for an hour, but we can go longer. There's no interpretation on this call.

MAUREEN HILYARD: It's just an hour. Alright. Okay. It's just that Olivier, I'm glad that you're able to connect, and do you want to raise anything about your session?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thanks very much, Maureen. Which session are we speaking about? Because I've got so many different sessions. I'm looking at –

MAUREEN HILYARD: The At-Large and NCUC outreach session.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Right. So, as far as I understand, we appear to be able to use the Monday morning session after the opening ceremony, so it'll be like two times 90 minutes or so. A bit like the last time. We have not started – and we need to – an agenda as such, but I don't expect it to be vastly different from previous agendas.

I understand that we'll have the blessing of some participants coming from the NextGen and also from the fellowship, so that will be hopefully a session that will be interesting for them. But as I said, the topics themselves, we haven't started a discussion. I'll have the usual suspects carbon copied when – I just need to create a Google doc page, cut and paste from the previous, and then get you all to chime in as to what topics we would like to have in there. As usual, I think the format was quite good to have a debate-type thing, so limited number of topics, but a proper debate where people can discuss things.

And I'd be interested in hearing from us what topics we'd like to talk about, because unfortunately, often, it's been the NCUC that's driven that, because they've answered really quickly and then no one on our side answered quickly enough regarding topics. And so we just had maybe one At-Large topics and the other three were the ones that NCUC wanted to talk about.

I'd be interested in also some feedback from you, because I know that this is not the first one we've had. So, how can we improve the session? How can we make it more interactive? How can we make it more balanced? This sort of thing.



---

And yeah, so that's the master plan, basically. I don't know whether there'll be a lunch or not, but even if there is no lunch, we'll just get people to get packed lunch or something. We'll do a 15-minute break, people can get their things and then come back in.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, I think that the formula that you've got – it's very interactive, and it really does match the audience, the approach that you use is excellent. And again, working with different fellows, different NextGen, the format's a very good one, and the topics can be similar because those are the issues, the topics that you raise, or issues that are raised within the fellowship, and I guess working in with the fellowship committee too just to sort of [let us see] the sorts of things that they might like to see the fellows and NextGen discussing in a more open forum with other people. So just a suggestion anyway.

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. It's always an exciting time, and with you and Tatiana being as energized as you are, I think we all leave quite exhausted at the end of it, but I think it's great that we're continuing on with that.

Now, [inaudible] two more minutes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, [Heidi.]

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: If I may add just one more thing just very quickly.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: One more thing, yeah. There's only one thing that I'd like to reinforce, which is that both NCUC and NCSG and ALAC, we're all looking for volunteers. And it's not a case of you either go to one or go to the other. you can volunteer on both. And I know that sometimes, it feels like each side is trying to pull volunteers towards them and steer them away from the other side, and I don't think that's right.

So I will reinforce this point to the others, especially from NCUC, that at the end of the day, it's not, as one would call, a pissing contest. It's a contest of saying, "Look, let's all work together and get you involved, either in one or the other, or both." [At least it needs] to get involved. That's the most important thing. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. Yes, exactly. And I think a lot of what we say is that we're attracting people into ICANN, and At-Large – some of them use At-Large as an introduction, and I think that that's good because it's meeting people and learning about the way things are, and then when they take into account their background and they gravitate towards – I think the fact that they've actually been through At-Large, what actually happens

---

is what we are finding now, is that we may [feel] they're done with other sections.

It's great that they still participate in At-Large, and I think that that's what we really need to [see,] that they always feel that there's someplace to go that they can give a point of view and that it's included into a bigger picture within our statements and our comments that we make. So, yeah, for me, I don't have a big deal about them coming in and then moving on. I think that that's fine.

Okay, we're at the top of the hour –

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Heidi, you wanted to [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, just two points. Maureen, did you want this outreach session to be unconflicted, so all ALAC people can come, or did you want to schedule – looks like [inaudible] only meetings.

GISELLA GRUBER: Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, go ahead, Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, if I may, it's already conflicting with the strategic planning HIT. And then over the lunch, there's nothing.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so perhaps we can organize, Maureen, who you want to go to each one.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I know there's going to be a lot of people – well, a lot of our core CPWG people are going to be wanting to go to that strategic planning session. And it is the – for example, I know that with Olivier and the way in which they organize their sessions, it's very introductory, and the [first]

---

part of it, I guess, so it means that people can actually leave that session and come to the second part of that.

CRPM working group, what was that one about?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Rights protection mechanisms working group.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Right. Just checking.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen –

MAUREEN HILYARD: Heidi, did you want –

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, just one more point to Olivier’s question about possible improvement. Just a thought that perhaps the last 20 to 30 minutes of that session could be just sort of an independent networking, asking other questions to each of the groups. So they might have specific questions, they might wish to speak with their individual RALO leaders, and then maybe next steps, do they wish to sign up to one of the groups? Thank you.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Righty, that's sort of – is there anything else that anyone needs to raise urgently? I think that we're starting –

GISELLA GRUBER: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry. Did you want to touch on the joint APRALO event or not?

MAUREEN HILYARD: We did have a little bit of a discussion about that earlier.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, I was [inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD: [inaudible]. Yeah. Okay, right, but I think Heidi, Gisella and I will look at putting some things more into some sort of coordinated thing so we can actually bring it back to the next Tuesday that we've got our next meeting. And I think it would be really good if we can try to get more people along, because that's going to be – we could be saying, "Well, this is the session that you asked for." [inaudible]

---

GISELLA GRUBER: [inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, I think that's me done. Unless there's somebody who's got something absolutely burning to raise, I think we can close this meeting off, seeing as we're past the hour anyway. Okay, thank you very much.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [Okay, everyone. Thank you.]

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Bye. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you. Bye.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much. Bye.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Thank you, everyone, for joining the call. This meeting is now adjourned. Please remember to disconnect your lines. Thanks. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]