

---

ANDREA GLANDON:

We will now begin the official recording of today's conference call. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the NARALO monthly teleconference held on Monday, the 11th of February, 2019, at 20:00 UTC. On today's call we have Wes Boudville, Glenn McKnight, Eduardo Diaz, Bill Jouris, Tripti Sinha, Jonathan Zuck, George Kirikos, Gordon Chillcott, Adrian Schmidt, Judith Hellerstein, Leah Symekher. We have apologies from Dana Perry, Susannah Gray, Maureen Hilyard, and Javier Rua-Jovet. From Staff, we have Silvia Vivanco, Joe Catapano, and myself, Andrea Glandon on call management.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes and to please mute your phones and microphones when not speaking to avoid any background noise. Thank you, and over to you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Andrea. This is Eduardo. I want to thank everyone for being here today. First order in the meeting is the agenda. I hope you had time to look at it. So, this is the time for letting me know if you have any changes on the agenda or want to add any additional business you want to discuss today. Not hearing anyone, the agenda is approved. So, first item on the agenda, I just wanted to mention some remarks before we get into the meeting itself. Today if we get Alan, probably he can give us an update on the EPDP and where they are. It's getting close, the time is running, I know they are very busy. I am in there as an observer and there are many lists and the amount of emails and

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

information that is flying there is just amazing. So, he must be very busy.

Glenn is going to talk to us about the final items that were approved for the discretionary budget for the FY-20. I will have an update on the ATLAS III on the meeting that we have had this week, and Alan also wants to talk about the NASIG, the North American Internet Governance School that he's putting together right before ATLAS III in Montreal.

Like always, we have some NomCom updates and at the end we have some time from John to provide a presentation and tell us what is happening on the policy side on ALAC and At-Large and also to invite everyone to participate in this working group which is called Consolidate Policy working group, which is open to anyone. If you want to know what is happening and you want to contribute in the policy for ICANN, that is the place to go. All the policies are discussed there and comments that are issued from ALAC are also commented there. So, I know, George, you are very interested in policy, I encourage you to join that working group, and like I said, it's open to anyone.

So, with that in mind, we go to the next item in the agenda. I have an item here to have Joy, because she's a new individual member that has been with us for quite a while now, and here, with new representatives in Quebec to introduce themselves to the meeting. But today we have a special guest, her name is Tripti Sinha. She is one of the Board members of ICANN representing our region, and Tripti, I know we didn't talk about this, but if you want to say a few words to the group, what do you, where are you coming from, and how you got into the ICANN

---

world, that would be great to hear. So if you can tell us a little bit about you.

TRIPTI SINHA:

Sure, thank you very much and first, thank you kindly for inviting me to this meeting, it was a pleasant surprise. I actually had a very busy schedule this afternoon, but somehow it worked out and I'm able to join the call. In terms of my background, I work at the University of Maryland, my title there is Chief Technology Officer, and I have been involved in the ICANN community through the RSSAC, and I was Co-Chair of RSSAC and recently termed out.

I am also a DNS Root Server Operator. I came onto the Board through the NomCom and I have been involved in the larger DNS Community for quite a while, and have been involved in ICANN actively for the last five years through my root server operation. But that said, I was pleasantly surprised with this invitation, I'm glad I'm able to join you today, and I'm looking forward to the next hour or so, hearing about issues that this constituency deals with. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. Does anyone have a question for Tripti? So, Tripti, we meet every month, the second Monday each month at the same time, UTC 20:00 I believe it is. And you are welcome to participate. This is where we discuss end user issues from the interest of the end user here in the region of North America, Canada, and Puerto Rico. So, you are invited to come and participate with us every month if you wish, and to learn a

---

little bit more of what we do in the region. So, thank you for your information.

So, the next item in the agenda is the NASIG. Leah, go ahead.

LEAH SYMEKHER:

I just wanted to welcome Tripti on the call, I'm Leah Symekher with the San Francisco Bay Area NARALO Chapter. It was great to have you as a candidate and excited that you're on the Board. I will be talking about the NomCom activities this year, and we are looking for candidates again, so if we can get exceptional candidates like you, that would be great. I'll be talking about that later, but I definitely welcome you on the call, and it's great to see the good work that you're doing. Thank you.

TRIPTI SINHA:

Thank you, thank you very much.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, any other questions? If not, we can get into the ICANN66 ATLAS III, well, a lot is coming along, there are many subgroups that were created like I said before. There is one group that is creating, well, let me put this in context. The ATLAS III is going to be open to anyone in any of the regions. That means all the individual members and all members from all ALS's. Now, the purpose of this ATLAS III Summit is the development of leadership within At-Large. So there is a group creating criteria that will be used to determine who is going to go and who is not going to go.

For example, one of the criteria is that you will need to take X number of courses that are going to be published by the beginning of next week. These courses are part of ICANN Learn and if you are interested in applying to ATLAS III, you will need to take those courses between February and May 1st. May 1st is the last day for people to apply. There is one group that is setting other criteria of how active you have been in the working groups, how active you have been in ICANN, and so forth. So those will be explained when you apply.

Three other groups are working on creating the program itself, this is going to be a four-day program that will have plenaries and breakout sessions. These are going to be, Glenn and Wanda from Brazil are the two Co-Chairs that are managing that subgroup, and he has about 10 volunteers working with them. And the last subgroup will work with the processes on capturing input data, so we can get a cohesive output out of the ATLAS III, and that is being managed by Carlton Samuels from Jamaica and Nadia from Russia. So, that's about ATLAS III. If you want to add something, Glenn, that I'm missing, please do so, and you have the floor for the NASIG part. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Sure, thank you. It's Glenn for the transcript record. Yeah, there is a team, including Judith is on the team on the program. So we're looking for input or any other volunteers that would like to join us on the program itself. It's going to be broken up into plenary and breakout sessions. So we are at the early stages of creating the actual program, and again, it's on leadership capacity building so any workshops on topics that will actually help the next generation of leaders, how to run

---

---

meetings, how to use proper leadership skill sets. And one of the things we'll be doing as a policy comments workshop, as well. But again, it's at the early stages of development.

One of the things I do want to mention, though, this is our third ATLAS III. We did one in Mexico City, ATLAS I, we did one in London, ATLAS II, and this is a little different because not everyone is going to go. Correct me if I'm wrong, Staff, roughly 60 people will be funded over the total ALS representatives and unaffiliated. So it's going to be a complete selection criteria in terms of who will be coming. But that would segue myself into the next discussion. Prior to ATLAS III, we're going to do for two days, on October 31st and November 1st, the North American School of Internet Governance, Montreal, and that will be limited to 50 attendees. We are going to sponsor some of the NARALO people, as well, beyond the ATLAS III participation. So we'll keep you informed.

Many of our members on the call today are moderators or involved with it, including Judith, Jonathan, John Laprise, Eduardo, and Alfredo. Alfredo Calderon and Judith are responsible for the program. So we have a complete program available that's an English tract, and my colleague, Pierre-Jean is on the call from Quebec, and he's working on the French tract, and I'm wondering if he's got audio, if he can talk about the tract, itself. Pierre, are you there? I'm sorry, there's something seriously wrong with your line, I think they muted it already, so hopefully he can get that resolved.

But what we have is, we're going to have two tracts. We didn't have this in NASIG I, we had just English tracts. So this will be a French and English tract. We're working out the logistics of each of the events, so it

---

will be a continuous, intensive event. It's a very, very good program, building an inclusive internet. And Alfredo is on the call, I'm just going to call upon him to say a few words about the program and how it was designed. So, Alfredo, please?

ALFREDO CALDERON:

This is Alfredo Calderon for the transcript record. Basically what we're trying to do is build on the five pillars of internet governance and through the two days we're going to have invited guest speakers or panelists that are going to share on the different topics that we incorporated into the program. So far it looks great, I'm having conversations with the moderators of each one of the sessions, and I'll share the link in a few minutes with you on the chat, so you can take a look at what we're building on and we expect to see some of you sharing with us in those two days, intensive sessions and discussions, and do some networking, as well. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great, thank you. We're pleased to announce we have Tripti, Leon, Avri, and Becky who are all panelists on the sessions with their expertise. Ron is not joining us because he's tied up with ARIN meeting, but also Sarah Deutsch and Peto as members, as well, so we're starting to get quite a bit of interest. In terms of sponsorship for the event itself, we're at 80% of our goal, so I'm pretty happy with that, and our team, Pierre and Destiny are working on the University of Quebec as the location, so the hotel we're working on is roughly 5-6 minutes walk to the location, fairly close to the main ICANN event, as well, so again, we'll

---

keep you well informed in the selection criteria on NASIG. Again, these are people above and beyond what we'll be selecting with the ATLAS III, so hopefully many of you on the call today will be joining us for NASIG. So, that's basically it for NASIG. Back over to you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Glenn. Any questions about what he just mentioned? If not, I see in the chat that Pierre-Jean is connected now to the bridge. Pierre, do you have time to introduce yourself to the group?

PIERRE-JEAN DARRES: I'm the new representative for ISOC Quebec in NARALO, and as Glenn mentioned, I'll be helping with my colleague, Destiny on the NASIG. We're still finalizing the French tract. It's basically a few sessions on artificial intelligence and the link with governance. I guess Glenn mentioned pretty much everything, so if you have questions on the French part of local staff, just feel free to ask.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, Pierre. Any questions or comments from anyone? If not, thank you so much, Pierre, for letting us know and introducing yourself to the group. So, Glenn, you have next Item 17, the group update?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, thank you Eduardo. We're in the midst of planning our outreach efforts in Kobe. We'll have new tabletop displays, thanks to Dev, he sourced those and Staff has produced them. They're small versions of



---

our pull up banners, they're portable, it will be the first time we're using them in Kobe. We have a booth, anybody here that's going to be in Kobe, we encourage people to volunteer. We'll have our brochures organized by Staff.

I'm not sure of all the various different social events that will be organized in terms of our normal RALO events that we're going to be doing apart, but Ali, who is part of APRALO has organized that. So that's one of the immediate efforts. Some of the requests for outreach material, Marita recently did an event. Marita, was it Carlton or University of Ottawa? I sent her a number of brochures and she can comment about that outreach effort. Marita, go ahead.

MARITA MOLL:

Hi, Glenn, thanks for the opportunity to talk about it. I did speak to a class at Carlton University. One of the professors there runs an internet governance class in the winter term. So these were young people who were already up to speed on the topics, didn't have to start from ground zero. They were really engaged and really interested, and it was a lovely experience. Glenn sent me some brochures, I certainly realize that we could use more printed material, we could certainly use some briefing pages for events like that. And I've already got one student interested in applying for NexGen, so I think it was all around really a great experience, positive for everybody. Thank you.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thanks, Marita. And I see Greg is on the line too, he needed some brochures fairly quickly, and I believe Claudia helped him out. So, Greg, what was the event that you did with ISOC New York?

GREG SHATAN: Thanks, Greg Shatan here. There were actually two events back to back, one which was cosponsored by ISOC New York, which was an event at the United Nations. It was review of the digital divide, now that we've crossed 50%, who do we get the next 50% online. And the second time was at Civic Hall here in New York, sponsored by ICANN. Avri Doria was also on the panel, and so was Chris Mondini, and it was called The Internet Runs On People.

And it was a discussion of the multistakeholder model from three different perspectives. And there was particularly with the second one, quite a bit of interest in At-Large and NARALO, as well as in the internet society. That was really about capacity building and identified NexGen and fellows and our moderator was actually a former fellow, works at Civic Hall. I got the brochures overnight, which was great. Of course, I wouldn't recommend that, but nonetheless, it was very welcomed. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Greg, and thanks, Staff, for acting on that so promptly. Other outreach stuff that's coming up, we booked all three of our CROP trips as you can see in the agenda on the middle panel. Judith is one of the speakers, actually, at NTC. That's the largest technical not for profit conference, 19 years it's been running, she's doing a topic on that and it

---

will be some serious outreach. Judith, can you talk about that topic that you're doing in Portland?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Sure, this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. Yes, I am going to be speaking at the nonprofit technology conference in Portland, and my topic is going to be looking at what individual users and nonprofits need to know, and we're going to focus not only on domain issues, but also on data security issues. I've added Deb Socia, the executive director of Next-Century Cities to our panel. She's going to talk about technology issues on nonprofits and security wise, relating to data security and internet governance. But I'm really interested in getting feedback, and Marita, I'll write you an email, I'm interested in seeing your presentation, to figure out what to talk about.

The conference runs from the 13th to the 15th and my talk I think is on the 14th. It's like the premier event for all nonprofits. Many of them are focused on technology, but don't really know much about internet governance, so they are more webcast, webmasters, and working with smaller nonprofits. So what do small nonprofits and others need to know about internet governance is what I'm going to talk about. Happy to have any feedback from anyone else, as I write my presentation.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, are you sharing your presentation for feedback?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

After I write it. I first need to write it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thanks Judith. Also, the other trip that's coming up pretty soon, Alfredo is on the call, and I believe Michael is not on the call, unless he's just on audio, but I think he's tied up with the internet freedom conference right now. Alfredo, can you talk about the digital inclusion?

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yeah sure, this is Alfredo Calderon for the transcript record. I'm going to the digital inclusion conference which will be April 1st to the 3rd, and basically this is a group of different entities within the community that integrate the internet into their services, for example like librarians, museums, schools, even the government sector has a place within this organization. You have to become a member if you want to participate actively. In my case, I'm going to some outreach and see if some of the groups that are involved in this conference are interested in becoming, or individual members, or an At-Large structure to participate in our activities within ICANN and NARALO. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. And as I mentioned, Michael is not on the call, and I'm a little amiss not to mention an appreciation to ICANN for sponsoring NASIG. Thank you Chris for the call last week, it was very informative, and we appreciate the support. Okay, any questions for me on the outreach efforts?

EDUARDO DIAZ: No, let's take the other one. Item 51, the NARALO Discretionary Funds.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I'm sorry, maybe Sylvia can address how much we have left in the Discretionary Funds, I don't know, I don't keep track of that.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello, yes, thank you very much, this is Silvia. NARALO has spent so far, \$2904, so we have available \$1046 to spend. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: We have an event ISOC here in Puerto Rico, the ALS has an event this Friday, it's called Falling In Love With Internet, we have Rodrigo de la Parra addressing us from ICANN and a couple people from ISOC. We have about 200 people set for that, and ICANN is supporting through the discretionary funds, it's supporting part of it, part of the catering that we have for the event, so thank you so much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: So can I just mention to everybody again, if you have an event that you're doing, just a small scale funding, as Eduardo has just mentioned, a small amount that's for maybe the reception or some other different expenses, there is the funds available. We are very adverse on not spending everything that's going to us, based on budget considerations, so if you have something between now and end of June, we'd be happy to entertain.

Now the process is, to be clear, there is a simple form to fill out, you've got to make sure it flies past Eduardo and myself to make sure it's

---

---

within the guidelines, and then the decision is made by Staff, not by Eduardo and me, in terms of what is funded. And then they will be in communication with you in terms of the cost. So, if you have something, please act on it. We hate to see this money not used.

The second thing is ABR. We did submissions of some ABR funding requests, in terms of the one on indigenous fellowships, that was not funded, but if you read the changes in the fellowship program, it says that it's incorporating outreach to the first nations, indigenous aboriginal communities. We're hoping that message is reaching out to those individuals in North America, that they can take advantage of the fellowship program, we hope so.

We also put in a submission on a policy comment workshop, and I believe it's being incorporated into the ATLAS III, so that, we'll see how that morphs into, but it was such a well received idea, I don't think it needs separate ABR funding. The live streaming submission that Marita has submitted was also not unfunded. And Judith, can you talk about the captioning submission, and I believe it is being funded.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Sure, this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. So yeah, we put in a submission for captioning in the English language and I don't know if it was funded, but it was approved for submission, and it was an ALAC submission. So we put in for I think 10 hours a month, so that we could get either calls, webinars, or other areas like maybe the policy working group or the ALAC meetings to be captioned in English, so that we can improve engagement and involvement of others. And we're hoping that

---

will be funded, but maybe Sylvia has more of an update on that from Heidi.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello, this is Silvia. Actually, I don't have an answer on that yet, but I see that it was submitted to Finance for review and approval. So hopefully it will be approved. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, that's it for me on the ABR stuff. But you're right, Judith, it was on the ALAC level. So, back to you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you so much. I just wanted to clarify that the internal budget requests were submitted to Finance, and they are not approved, but we will know according to schedule if they are going to be approved or not.

Okay, the next one, Chris or Joe, do you have an update on what's happening in the region? And welcome.

CHRIS MONDINI: Alright, thank you very much, this is Chris Mondini, I think Joe is with us, too. A lot of what we've been doing has been covered by others on the call, already. You may have seen, though, that the North American newsletter came out today, and I would encourage you to have a look. The headline article is about a six month status report on the engagement strategy for North America that you helped on, and gives a

---

few updates of a few metrics we're tracking on that. But we continue to refine it and are looking for feedback. In addition to the New York event that Greg discussed already, we did do, a couple days before that, a training in Las Vegas for registrars and registries and people wanting to be registrars.

It was on the margin of NamesCon, which is very much a domain name commercial conference, but this workshop was about becoming involved in ICANN policy and it was really a combined event with people that work with us on the local domain division team, the policy team, the compliance team, and I think a lot of good information was shared at that event. We have coming up there is a Canadian meeting which is on internet governance on the 28th of February, I think Glenn will be there and Joe will be there, as well.

I just learned that on the 21st at University of Southern California, Dustin Phillips, who many of you know, and of course very active here and in the USA IGF is trying to get a panel together at the University of Southern California, so that's for February 21st, we're working on that. And we look forward to being on the next call to keep the updates going. If I missed anything, I'll leave it to Joe to chime in, I see he's putting some links in the chat. Otherwise, happy to hear all the good work, eager to hear about your policy focus, as well.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Chris. Judith, you have your hand up.



---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. Chris and Joe, we would be interested in events that are held in DC for other constituencies or other groups. We find out late to the event, and it would be great if you could give us a heads up so maybe some of our ALS's or individual members could attend. I know there was an event in DC focused on nonprofits and some other one at the ICANN office, but we didn't know about it until we just got a review who are on the GNSO's mailing list about the event. And I know the same thing happens in New York and California, and other places, so it would be helpful if we could get a heads up on some of these events, that we might be interested in attending.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Chris, you want to say something about that?

CHRIS MONDINI: No, I think that's fine, I heard the request, and we'll certainly accommodate that. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you so much, Chris, for your time and participating in our call. So let's move on. The next one is an update on EPDP on the Temporary Specification. I don't see Alan in the call, so let's move to the next one. Leah, please? Tell us about the NomCom. What's happening there?

---

LEAH SYMEKHER:

Sure, thank you for the time. This is Leah Symekher for the record. I was very happy again to have NomCom update included in the newsletter that just was sent, the NARALO newsletter that was sent on February 6th. The newsletter includes some pretty good details, the open seats with links on the application or the various open positions for the ICANN Board and leadership team. I would encourage all of you to look at that and share it with people that you think would be interested and qualified candidates for these positions.

Just quick review, we have ten open seats at this time for NomCom to fill. We have three for the Board of Directors, two GNSO seats, three At-Large, specifically the regions that we're especially looking for candidates are Asia, Australia, the Pacific Islands, that's one region, Africa is another region, Latin America and the Caribbean islands is another region, so, three seats in total. ccNSO, one seat. We are also looking for one seat for the PTI Board. We already have the application, was already opened on January 17th. It closes on March 18th. All the information on criteria, the job description, plan commitments, are on our website, and I'm also just going to past a link right now to our website, so you have that information and you can share that with prospective qualified candidate.

We also are working very hard on outreach. I am CoChair for the outreach subcommittee on the NomCom. We've been communicating with various constituencies and individuals who are running various events at ICANN to see how we can collaborate with outreach. Apart from that, we are also doing outreach in various institutions that are focused on corporate governance and we have qualified candidates who would be suitable. This an outreach effort that we're doing at this

---

time to try and look for more outside candidates, which in terms of our research and talking to various past Board members and current Board members, I think outsiders are also very much encouraged to apply for these positions, to just bring in some kind of fresh outlook. So, I encourage you to help us with that effort, as well.

I think that's it for now. If there are any outreach events that are happening in Kobe and you'd like us to be there, please don't hesitate to just send me an email and we'll definitely make time to attend those events to do our outreach there, as well. So this particular ICANN is very big on outreach for NomCom because it is right before the closing date of the application period. Thank you, all. It is great to see Tripti. If anybody has any questions.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Leah, that was an excellent report and it's great to get your reports in the newsletter, I think that helps a lot. A quick question for you, has the Board done a 360 review? Because certain individuals are leaving, and are they leaving any holes? Are you looking for any certain skills or geographical representation? What are the high points that you guys are seeking for this year's NomCom?

LEAH SYMEKHER:

Sure, one of the things that came up in talking to current Board and past Board members, is we're trying to have a long-term strategy of filling in needed skills for the Board. The NomCom candidate right now is beginning to kind of work towards that, but as you know, the NomCom changes every year, as well, so sometimes that makes it also impossible.

But skills that we've been told, that we feel are needed, and of course, as you know, the NomCom is independent, but we look at that and try to make sure what we're getting, is that we work with the current Board as well as with the needs of the internet community as a whole, and not just ICANN and the Board.

But governance is a big thing, financial experience, audit skills, people who definitely are not in conflict so that they are able to vote in most of the discussed topics. Technical experience is good, but understanding the internet and how it operates, that, we believe someone can lend just overall just understanding basic knowledge. But in terms of really having governance, longtime experience, financial audit, really understanding a bit of the nonprofit, a focus from the corporate world, but also understanding how the nonprofits work is good. So, someone who can really work with the team well and be able to get consensus, it would be good to have an independent mind.

We will be releasing a video of board members that we interviewed last year. Unfortunately, that video was supposed to come out last year, but did not. So we worked very hard to edit it and working with the ICANN communication team to get it done. So it should be released this week, I've really been pushing for it get released, because it really gives you a good understanding of the Board, what the Board needs, what the expectations are, and really the basic general expectations.

For region, we are focusing a lot, if you look at the Board currently, regions that are really under-represented to be further under-represented if we do not get qualified candidates from Asia, Africa, and

---

the LAC region. So that's a huge focus for us, and women, as well, who can vote. That is our huge focus.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Leah. Are there any more questions for Leah? Thank you, Leah for the very good report. So the next item we have Jonathan giving us a presentation about the important things that we are here for, and it's an update on the policy. And like I mentioned before, there is a working group, it's called Consolidated Policy Working Group, I encourage everyone to participate in this group, even just to hear how the meeting flows and how we deal with policy and get a real deep update on what's happening with policy, I encourage everyone to participate in it, send a note to ICANN Staff and they will include you in the mailing list. And Silvia, in the meantime, while Jonathan is presenting, can you get the link to the main CPWG page? So, Jonathan, the floor is all yours.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks, it's Jonathan Zuck for the record. As Eduardo said, the CPWG meets weekly and discusses various policy issues in depth, and tries to then provide recommendations to the ALAC for what positions that At-Large should take in public comment. So most of the public comments that come out kind of go through the CPWG process first. And as Eduardo said, I encourage you to volunteer to become a part of it and monitor it at first, but then become a part of doing some drafting and some discussing on some of these various policy issues. So, on this

---

short segment, I just wanted to give you a little bit of an update of some of the things that we have been discussing.

The big things that have been dominating the discussions in the CPWG of late are the GDPR and privacy generally, subsequent procedures, in other words when and if there will be another round of new gTLD applications and what that should look like, and then finally there has been some discussion of the strategic plan and Marita is on the call and is charge of that draft, actually, so I may turn it over to her to summarize the big points that we're trying to make in that particular document. So, I'm giving you some fair warning, Marita.

So, GDPR, as you know, was General Data Protection Regulation that came out of the European Union, and has thrown ICANN into turmoil, because of the WHOIS database that has until now published a great deal about us whenever we register a new domain name. The WHOIS database began life as a way for the early academics that were experimenting with the internet to let each other know that their connection was down or their webpage wasn't working, et cetera, but it has grown into a very big database where a lot of people use the WHOIS database for things like cybersecurity research to try and track down malware and DNS Abuse, consumer protection by various government agencies use it when the law is being broken, intellectual property interests use it to try and track down the owner of a website that is infringing on their copyrights or trademarks.

And so there are a lot of folks that have become very dependent on the WHOIS database, and it has suddenly become a private database because of GDPR. There is a lot of discussions about what the future

should look like in terms of data that's collected from people that register domain names, and then who should have access to that data, and under what circumstances. So those are sort of the discussions that are going on.

With privacy, where it stands right now is basically the same information is being collected by registrars from registrants and there has been a lot of discussion about that, but for the most part the collection of data has remained pretty much the same. Certain fields should be collected, but for the most part, they collect more data. And so a lot of discussion then has been about who should get access to that data and when they should get access to that data, in what form, how long that data can be held, et cetera, and so that's part of what is messing with the group right now, discussions about who should be able to have access to that data.

The At-Large have been in an interesting position within the debates because for the most part the so called noncommercial stakeholder group within ICANN has been arguing fervently in favor of registrant rights, of their right to privacy, which is something I think for the post past, the At-Large community would be sympathetic. Except that there is a lot of end users, in fact quite a few more end users that are reliant on many of the services that in turn rely on the data. Things like reputational databases that keep us from getting too much malware fishing and spam in our inboxes, and things like that.

So our representatives to the expedited EPDP on this issue have had to try make a balancing act between with privacy rights of registrants and the sort of rights to consumer protection by the rest of end users. So

---

---

that's been part of the discussion, as well. And right now, we're under a regime of reasonable access, which means that if people ask a registrar for data, they're supposed to provide reasonable access, and that hasn't been defined, and that has been difficult to define within the EPDP.

And so right now I think very few of these actors are getting data from the registrars because they're all very concerned about being liable under this European law. We are in the public comment process on a draft from the EPDP, but a lot of consensus seems to be eroding there, and so it's not clear what's going to happen, because by May, we're supposed to have a consensus document, and that's looking very difficult, and so we don't know whether or not this temporary situation can be extended, or not, and so there's a lot of conversations there.

And once that's done, we'll enter into a conversation about the technology and best practices for how people get access to the data and whether or not there will be a unified way, like a single interface way that people are able to get to the data. And so those are some of the discussions that are going on in the context of privacy and the GDPR. Does anybody have any questions about this?

GEORGE KIRIKOS:

George Kirikos, for the transcript. Thanks for updating us on this important topic. I was curious whether you know whether the ability for registrants to opt in to have their WHOIS be publically displayed, whether consensus has been reached on that, and also on the over-application of the GDPR, because it's not supposed to apply to Europeans, it's not supposed to apply to corporations, but it seems it's



---

being over-applied at the moment, out of an abundance of caution, probably, but still, it's being over-applied. Thanks.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Right, thanks George, that's a very good point. There is some discussion about the over-application of the GDPR because the truth of the matter is the entire world is grappling with these issues of privacy and all of these laws might be slightly different. And so companies are going to be facing a situation where they have to treat the citizens of different countries differently, and registrars are not pleased about that prospect, again, because they sort of sit in the crosshairs of that liability.

And so right now, as it stands right now, that is still one of the open discussions on which there is not complete consensus, which is about whether or not registrars should be able to. Right now under the temporary specifications, it is their option to treat the whole world the same, but that is still something that is hotly debated. As to your first question about voluntary publication of the data, I believe that there is consensus on that and that voluntary publication, there is consensus in the EPDP on that. Greg, go ahead.

GREG SHATAN:

Thanks, Greg Shatan for the record. I've been observing, I'm listening to as many of these calls as I could of the EPDP and first I have to say that both Alan and Hadia have done yeoperson work, I don't want to say yeoman because that's gender specific, but they've done amazing work in keeping up and following with this. Some weeks there has been three hour calls, four days a week. So it's insane, even by ICANN

---

standards. There is a lot of jockeying for position and I think Alan and Hadia have both been voices of reason and trying to get to workable solutions.

I would say the over-application issue, I would say first off, if those who are over-applying, they hate the word over-application, but I guess that's only to be expected. But clearly the job of the EPDP was to try to move forward from attempts back with regard to GDPR and not privacy or data protection law in the world.

But I agree, for end users, the balance of equity really for who has access, which is not necessarily public access, but it is reasonable access and collection, and I think what I've been hearing on the calls is a lot of folks have wanted to try to punt access itself, certainly anything beyond reasonable access, something like an access model or an accredited access model of so-called phase 2, which is also what they seem to be punting issues of geographic distinction and natural versus human person, natural versus legal person, both of which go to the issue of who GDPR applies to.

Just one last point, in my view, anything that forces a registrar to keep a domain name who is private, it is not that of an EU resident, it is not compliant with laws that meet a new policy. Obviously we need to comply with GDPR, but an American registrar to redact the name of an American registrant because of GDPR is nonsense. They could be doing for other reasons, but it would be policy reasons, then you have to have a policy discussion about it, and not a discussion about compliance.

---

EDUARDO DIAZ: Jonathan, this is Eduardo, we're almost at the top of the hour, so I will suggest that you wrap up this item on the GDPR and I just sent you a note. At our next call what I will do, I will have you first, and continue with this presentation, because I think it's important that people understand this, and it's very interesting, not only about the GDPR, I'm talking about the rest of the policies that we have been discussing.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks, Eduardo. It was very difficult to come up with a quick and dirty of this, but obviously the most detailed conversation about this are happening. On the EPDP calls and on our CPWG calls, we talk about different aspects of this at a time, because they are such big and open end discussions. And Marita can talk about the strategic plan on the next call, as well. And so I'll be at the start of the next agenda, but thanks everyone for participating, and CPWG calls are on Wednesday, just check with Staff if you want to be involved. Thanks a lot.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Jonathan, and thanks everyone for being here today. We're at the top of the hour, so next time, like I said, I'm going to start with the presentation and we'll take it from there. I think it's very important and interesting information for all of us, and again, I want to reiterate to participate in CPWG. Thank you very much and that's it, the meeting is adjourned.

---

ANDREA GLANDON: Thank you, this concludes today's conference. Please remember to disconnect all lines, and have a wonderful rest of your day.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**