
CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Okay, we will now begin the official recording and interpretation of this call. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Leadership Team, ALT+ Monthly Call on Wednesday, the 16th of January, 2019 at 18:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Maureen Hilyard, John LaPrise, Sébastien Bachollet, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Ricardo Holmquist, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Barrack Otieno, Yrjö Länsipuro, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Alberto Soto, and Daniel Nanghaka. Also, Glenn McKnight and Alfredo Calderón.

We have received apologies from Holly Raiche, Satish Babu, and León Sanchez.

On the Spanish channel, we have Sergio Salinas Portio and from staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Evin Erdoğan, Yeşim Nazlar, Gisella Gruber, and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management.

Our interpreters for today are Paula and David.

And before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their names before speaking for the transcription purposes and also to allow the interpreters to identify you on the other language channel. And with this, I turn it over to you, Maureen. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much, Claudia. Yeah, thank you, everyone for being here at the meeting this morning. We've had a busy morning already and looking forward to hearing about it.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Okay, just what were we focusing on? We've got quite a full agenda there, but I guess for me, my biggest concern is ICANN 64 so we'll probably spend a bit more time on that than some of the other stuff but there's still quite a lot that we need to get through.

Is there anything that anyone wants to add to any other business while we're at it?

Okay. Okay, let's get going. Then we will start with our normal start and that's the, can I have scrolling? People who have scrolling rights to the agenda just so that they can, yeah, thank you.

Okay, so if we can have, make a start on the policy activities, that would be great. Thank you. Anyone? Evin?

EVIN ERDOĞDU:

Thank you, Maureen. And Olivier and Jonathan, please jump in when necessary. I'll just go through the recently ratified by the ALAC. There have been seven statements recently ratified by the ALAC within the past month and that's including one piece of afforded rights that was ratified during ICANN 63 and all of them have executive summaries on the agenda for your reference. And there's a new executive summary page. Currently, the CPWG will be providing feedback on it so stay tuned. That will be up soon.

And moving to public comment for decision, there are two public comments that the CPWG also recommended that the ALAC not have a statement on. They discussed these statements and whether they relate to end user interest and their recommendation to the ALAC is to not

have statements on them, but they're both for decision. The first is proposed changes to the registrar stakeholder group charter and the second is amendments to the IANA Naming Functions contract, Annex A [app]. So if anyone would like to discuss those or confirm those statements, Olivier or Jonathan?

If not, I'll just move to current statements that are in development. These were also discussed on the CPWG. So there are currently five statements being developed, the first being work track 5 on geographic names at the top level, supplemental initial report of the new gTLD subsequent procedures policy development process, and Marita Moll presented today a presentation that was developed in tandem with Justine Chew. That presentation as well as the presentation from last week are on the related Wiki work space and there's also a Google doc for comment on this public comments.

The next is ICANN draft FY20 operating plan and budget and five-year operating plan update. And Maureen Hilyard and Tijani Ben Jemaa are co-penholders on this statement. And the Technology Task Force is also going to be submitting a short statement regarding the LACRALO transition tool, regarding this public comment. And then ICANN's strategic plan for Fiscal years 2021 and 2025, or through 2025. Marita Moll has volunteered as penholder for this. Updated operating standards for specific reviews, Greg Shatan and Jonathan Zuck are co-penholders for this and lastly, first consultation on a two-year planning process, and Judith Hellerstein has volunteered as penholder for this.

Thank you and I'll turn it over to you, Jonathan or Olivier if you would like to provide any comments. Thanks.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I'm just on the phone bridge so I don't have a way to raise my hand. Shall I go ahead?

EVIN ERDOĞDU: Sure. Yeah, go ahead.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Okay. Sorry about that. Yeah, so the big topic of discussion on the CPWG call today was about the work track 5 stuff which is pretty controversial but it's about reserving a couple of different things. One had to do with capital cities and there seemed to be some consensus about setting those aside, although there is a lot of complexity about cities because there are so many different versions of the same city name, and so, there is still a lot of heated discussion within the At-Large about what can really be done on a [practical] level to protect cities because of the confusion around which city you have to get permission from and things like that. So that conversation is still ongoing.

Where we did reach some consensus was about supporting the notion of reserving two-letter domains as ccTLDs and not opening those up for others and on looking at three-letter domains that are on the ISO country list and keeping those reserved as well. And so in the one case, it's all two letters, but in the case of three letters, it's just those that are already identified with countries. Olivier, correct me if I'm wrong but those are the areas we had reached consensus but there's still quite a heated debate about the cities at this point.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Jonathan.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Jonathan, that is correct.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No, apologies. I'm not quite able to [inaudible]. I'm on a packed carriage going [between], but yeah, what Jonathan mentioned was pretty much what happened today.

We have a number of other statements that are due at a further time, later than now so the only one that was important to conclude was the work track 5. The others will be dealt with in the next consolidated policy call. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Thank you, Olivier. Is there anything else for anyone else that was... I mean, I've been getting this feedback that it was an excellent CPWG session this morning, which I missed. But I think that, yeah, so it sort of seems as if the outcomes were very satisfactory and that's great.

So anything else, then, on the policy activities? No? Okay, moving on.

Right, reports. Okay, I just wanted just to make sure of the RALO Chairs' reports because I've been going through them. I think probably because I've been checking on APRALO. And I guess if I was going to give stars out to the RALO chairs about maintaining some sort of report on the status of each of the RALOs, the RALOs are really important to At-Large and it is important that we sort of get some feedback from them about how things are going, what's on top for each of them as we move through the year.

And NARALO, the January 2019 report on their last meeting is online already and I think it's being regularly kept up to date. APRALO uses its monthly newsletter so it's sort of like after the meeting, but at the same time, we do record sort of like there is a record of what has occurred during the month in ALS news, ALAC news, APRALO news, so it is recorded there for each month.

But I guess it's a little bit disappointing for some of the other RALOs that we haven't heard from for quite a while and I would really like to sort of see that that [inaudible] starting off this year, especially when we're trying to sort of show in our At-Large review implementation that our systems are improving and that we are actually being more communicative and informative and from a RALO perspective, I'd really like to sort of see that something can show that improvement.

So if the other RALOs wouldn't mind sort of starting for January 2019 and perhaps doing a bit of an update on some of the other activities, even just an annual report on the previous years that have been missed would be a significant benefit for us all I'm sure.

But I just wanted to raise that because I just sort of think we have got the people who work in doing the secretariat role and that's what they have secretariats for in the RALOs. So if they can do their job, that would be really, really good for us and especially in relation, as I said, to the At-Large Review implementation which I'm just going to move onto right now, which is item number five. And there's someone that has got a question to raise about the [inaudible].

Okay, sorry about that, [Tony]. I'm trying to speak up. Okay, moving on to number five, the At-Large Review implementation. Cheryl may have some other news to add, but really, we're actually waiting on feedback from the Board which they will have their meeting at the end of this month and but at the same time, looking forward, there are things that we haven't trained at the moment, so I think what we've got to do is formalize some sort of reporting template so that we can start inputting how we're actually achieving what we actually said we were going to do during this implementation period, remembering too, that the eight activities that we identified were among the easy ones.

So there was sort of like, we should be able to sort of achieve that within the year or sooner. So the sooner we actually get things done and recorded, the sooner we'll be able to move on to anything else that we want to do, especially in relation to the continuous improvement sections that we were looking at on the ones that we want to continue doing.

So we will make a move on getting and putting together the template probably coordinating people to ensure that the activities are done, so we'll need some volunteers for that and then we'll get moving on it.

Any questions or queries? Cheryl, do you want to add anything more to that on what we might need to do moving forward?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No. Use your time valuably. I don't need to embellish.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Jonathan. Sure.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I just wanted to mention briefly that the comments page is already showing some of the improvements we talked about in terms of re-categorization of the... We created a new category for comments, advice and correspondence and so the re-categorization has started to begin in that section as well. So staff and presumably in conjunction with Alan, I guess, have started to get that process done, so I just wanted to highlight that.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, great. Thank you very much and we'll have to make sure that everybody knows when that is and we can move that forward. Thank you.

Anything else? Okay.

Moving on then to the ATLAS III. Okay, we've made a start on that by actually making contact with our working groups, which is a major development. But if you check on that At-Large Summit homepage that the staff has set up for us, we're starting to get some traction into putting information on there that hopefully by now, everyone can access. Can I just have that confirmed, Gisella or Heidi, that we're having some issues in relation to people being able to access their particular sub-group information from this page? Has that been resolved? Anyone?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, it's been resolved. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Excellent. Okay, thank you. Just wanted to check that. But we just wanted to make sure that, first of all, that we were starting to get information out. We are going to have a collective meeting to start off with to just inform everyone about how we are going to be moving forward. I know that I haven't had too much of an opportunity looking at what we are going to be doing, but I know that for the leadership development team, I know the program team has been working pretty [inaudible] with ICANN Learn and that, so Eduardo or Olivier, would you

like to give us some feedback on what your group is doing? Either of you? Do we have, I know Olivier is sort of still on a train, but do we have Eduardo? I thought we did.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Hello. Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, we can.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. I guess you want to know where we are with our program group, right?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, please.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. Well, Olivier, we haven't met with the group yet but I think we have a meeting next week for both groups, right? But we've put together a document on this call of what is expected from this group and we are dividing the group in three sub-groups.

One is really to look into what capacity building is needed leading the ATLAS III. That has to do with the online courses and webinars and things like that so they can look into that specifically.

There's another group that is going to be concentrating on the actual program and here, we are talking about the actual blocks in the program through the week. There is time for plenaries and workshops and things like that. That's another group that we're working on that.

And we have a third group, sub-group, that will work on the expected outcomes of [inaudible] [ones] to get from the ATLAS III and the processes behind it so we can capture our expected outcomes. For example, so all the things we have been talking about, daily summary reports from what happened that day. If there's an issue that is brought up to be [followed] up on a regular basis and in specific topics, then we need to identify the owner, what's the description of the issue, the rationale behind it, and a timeframe on how long this person thinks it's going to take to have it [closer] [inaudible].

That type of thing is what the Expected Outcomes Group is going to be working on, and at the end, making sure there is a general report for ATLAS III and so on and so forth, and maybe work on videos for some of the selected participants, before the meeting and after the meeting, that kind of testimonials and things like that so we can have a record of the people that went there, what they learned and a record of what happened and whatever else we need to follow-up through after ATLAS III. So that's where we are and once we have the meeting with the groups next week, then we're going to start working directly with the groups and divide them in three sub-groups to move forward. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Eduardo. That's really great. I work with Alan and he's been pretty busy at this particular point in time, but [inaudible] Cheryl and I will actually have a little discussion about before or after the meeting that we had about the leadership development, which we'll be looking at the criteria for the invitees and sort of following on from there, sort of like a program of support for those who actually are selected and that could include something like mentoring and that kind of approach to support them leading up to the ATLAS program in Montreal and perhaps beyond.

So the people who are within the leadership development group are going to be very much involved in the process as well. So there's nothing that's moving on and we will give more information on that as it comes to hand. And I think, too, it's really important that we get RALO leaders' support, the RALO Chairs' support on just encouraging our people to participate in anything that is recommended in the leader to the ATLAS and also the leader into the selection of people. So there needs to be a lot of talking to the communities, their members.

Okay, so moving on then. I see nobody's [inaudible], only questions or queries about ATLAS III, getting on to the more meaty substance of what we want to do in this meeting.

And that's item seven, which is the additional budget requests and we've had one meeting. We've had lots of discussions about the request [inaudible] or reading and I'm going to ask Heidi to give an overview of what's common in some of the issues that are being raised in relation to the requests that we've received to date. So if there is anything that you

can actually help us with too, because we have to get those in quite quickly, it would be great if we could have some input into this. Heidi?

Hi. Can people hear me? I know I've changed phones, but [inaudible].

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Hi, Maureen. No, I could hear you. I think Heidi is on mute. One second.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Can you hear me now? Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sure can. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I don't know. My phone is just going in and out of the mute, so I don't know why. Anyway, so I wanted to... You can follow along with what I'm going to say on the Fiscal Year 20 Budget Development Work Space that I just put into the chat.

[Inaudible] just wanted to let you know on the schedule that we will be having a second FBSC, or Financing Budget Sub-Committee call tomorrow for final review of the additional budget requests, so ABRs, and then the ALAC will be taking a look at the ABRs approved by the FBSC on their call on the 22nd. Then there's just one day for the FBSC to review all the RALO requests before submitting to the controller on the 25th.

In terms of numbers, we received seven ALAC ABRs and 12 RALO ABRs, so I'm just going to go through some of them. Well, Maureen, you wanted me to highlight the challenges. I'll do that with them.

So the first one is on the ALAC. This is a request for RALO discretionary funding again. This time, two differences. One is that the amount will go from \$20,000 to a request for \$30,000 and the second change is that there will be a request for one of those activities per RALO to be able to be international to attend, for example, the IGF.

But what I've done on this table is that I posted some information that was on the Fiscal Year 19 ABR assessments report and it's really important that we note this and the FBSC notes this. It's in detail on the, as we move on, that for any other request to be approved, they have to relate directly to ICANN policy development and any kind of meetings have to be ICANN related.

So in all of the ABRs that I've revised, I have stressed that policy link and even for the IGF, I have added a note on this particular ABR request that to be approved, the person attending will need to be speaking on an ICANN policy related panel.

Okay. I think maybe you can hear me better this way, Claudia. Is that better? Claudia, I'll keep on speaking if you can... Is that better?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

It sounds better to me.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I'm sorry I was on speaker phone. So again, just stressing that if any of these ABRs are going to be approved, they have to state clearly that they are connected to ICANN policy, policy advice development. So wherever possible, I've been adding that to these ABRs. So that's the first one, is again, raising the discretionary amount to \$30,000.

Claudia, is that beeping able to be stopped?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Somebody dropped? We're trying to locate the beeping. One second. There it goes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: [Inaudible] in At-Large. This is because in the current Fiscal Year 20 draft budget, it states that the slots have gone to 28, plus a Chair. I do want to stress that. That is new. Alan did note that. It is 28 plus the Chair, so right now, according to the Fiscal Year 20 budget, At-Large would have 29 slots. This is asking for two additional slots to bring in people related to policy and outreach. I think that's a strong request and I'm confident that that one will be reviewed, hopefully, positively.

Another one which is going to be withdrawn is one on ICANN Learn leadership and chairing skills courses. We've heard now from Betsy Johnson or Betsy Andrews who has said that she has the resources to carry out the ICANN Learn courses that At-large will need for the ATLAS and post-ATLAS so likely to withdraw that one. And there is another one for capacity building for underserved communities put in by Tijani. After reaching out to the GSC and discussing this with Maureen, it's likely that one will be not approved and that CROP is suggested for any kind of travel needed or virtual ICANN, either an ICANN Learn course or some sort of webinar to be prepared for that one.

Then Judith and Maureen sent in one for the RTP transcription. This is now what the FBSC agreed this would be up to ten hours per month in English only. That's a very strong request. I think that one is likely to be, again, approved hopefully. Then there's one Maureen put in, which is support for ALAC Chairs, communications and travel support. This is related to her challenges in the Pacific on Internet and dealing with the monopoly that she has there, so this is for funding for her [inaudible] webinar activities and then also some discretionary funding for travel to regional and global events on that one.

Again, this next one, I think this is the last one for the ALAC, this was a request put in by Daniel for At-Large global capacity building, the IGF this year in Berlin. Again, what I'm hearing is that anything that's going to the IGF en masse will likely not be accepted. But this is a good request. I just don't know whether anything that is a non-ICANN meeting will be approved in this format versus we can hopefully get it in through the RALO discretionary funding.

Okay. Any questions on the ALAC one? Okay. Maureen, am I going in too much detail or is this about the right level? Shall I continue with the RALOs?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Continue on. Thank you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so then we have, this one, we just heard back on this one so apologies if I haven't been able to get this out to the Chairs of the TTF. This is the request by Eduardo on behalf of the RALO for At-Large livestream broadcasting. [Inaudible] probably the technical support staff as well as legal that there are a [number] of challenges with this one, including GDPR issues, including going back into the issues of having to get beyond the VPN, this firewall that we have. So I'm going to be posting this text from them in time for the FBSC tomorrow. That one has some challenges on that one.

Moving on to AFRALO, this is one for the IGF. I have reached out to Mohamed a couple of times. I have not received an actual template completed. I just have this text that was posted here and I believe by Mohamed. This is for a workshop for AFRALO to the IGF.

Then we have several from APRALO. One is for, again, a request for the IGF, two travelers to that meeting. One is for participation in the yearly Middle East DNS forum. I did reach out to [inaudible], the VP in that region for the Global Stakeholder Engagement Team. I suggested that [inaudible] would be the likely forum for that towards funding for that

one because it doesn't include the travel and I think what we're seeing is that the move towards [inaudible] for travel issues while ABRs might be for other types of issues, activities.

Then we have another one from APRALO on the IDN. This is a one-day workshop in Armenia by Lianna. I have reached out to Alexandra, the VP for that region, Russia and that region.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Heidi, sorry to interrupt. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Are you speaking on a... yeah, your audio isn't good. Do you have a headset on, or...? Because the interpreters are having a hard time.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, I have my mobile directly up to my ears.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Okay, do you mind if we have the operator dial out to you again because they can't interpret.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Okay, let's go ahead and do that. Just [inaudible], right?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: I'll have them disconnect you and dial back. Okay, we'll try that. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: While Heidi's getting re-connected...

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sure.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It's probably important for you all to know that the Finance and Budget Sub-Committee, which I'm still an observer on, had written the [inaudible] of these things seeing as I founded the damn thing in the first place, has also looked particularly at a number of these and has already made that similar statement along the lines of that this is probably more appropriate under discretionary funding. This is probably more appropriate under CROP funding. And so I suspect, Maureen, there's an opportunity for us to even improve in our next ABR round, the applicant's understanding on what an ABR is best suited for and I think I filibustered until Heidi's got back now. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Yeah, I think we did actually attempt to explain what the purposes were going to be for the, basically, the focus of ABR requests for this year were to select within the ICANN remit, of course. But also, looking at ways in which we could actually seem to be enhancing the role of At-Large across the whole gamut of At-Large and not trying to rely too much on individual regions because the reason why we were actually looking at increasing the discretionary fund so that we could, regions could actually have their own, make their own decisions about how they wanted to use funding for their region and be given an opportunity to do so. And I sort of think that the requests that we're making to give \$6,000 to a region is a big jump from the original \$2,000 that we were given [inaudible] a couple of years anyway.

So I think that if we can look at it from that viewpoint where it just means that we're not disadvantaging, we're trying not to be disadvantaging RALOs and any... because we just have to follow the rules and according to FY19, the idea wasn't going to be considered and all those requests were pulled out and we are suspecting that the same will happen this year.

Glenn, your hand is up. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hi, Maureen. Can you hear me okay?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I sure can. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Maureen? Okay, sorry about that. It was muted. I apologize. Okay, one of the things that most of us probably realize, we have to give in our O&E, a strategic plan for how we're going to use the CROP funding. What has been missing is how we use the discretionary funds.

So with this increase that Heidi has [inaudible], I strongly suggest that we have some kind of plan that incorporates how we're going to use this discretionary fund or it's going to be willy-nilly. So I just want to stress it strongly that we need to expand that concept of the plan and the plan should drill down and actually solicit to our community because it could be very ad hoc otherwise. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, you're definitely right and I think that for each RALO, how they use the fund and how they prioritize its use within their region is up to them and it is reflected within their outreach and engagement strategy. Yes, definitely.

And also in collaboration with GSE, and I think that they've got to, working together, that's actually, it could be a very nice package incorporating that.

I know Heidi's still got to get through but we have got one more hand up, so we'll let Sergio have his intervention. Sergio?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I would like to make a clarification but I think it's important to listen to Heidi first so I'm going to drop my hand and I'm going to ask for the floor later on. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Sergio. Okay, Heidi continuing then, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Can you hear me now?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sure can.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, perfect. Thank you and just before I begin, Glenn, that's an excellent suggestion about planning the trips and possibly the timing for that would be the June meeting because then we'll know the budget will have been approved, the ABRs will have been approved so the GSC and all of you will know your type of the funding that has been approved and you may all wish to already plan your Fiscal Year 20 strategic outreach plan, so all of that could be discussed in Marrakech this year, for example. So that's an excellent idea to do that.

So coming back, I think I dropped at Lianna's IDN, a one-day conference in Armenia. I've reached out to Alexandra, the regional VP for that area and she is supportive of that. Alexandra is requesting about \$3,000 so I think that one is likely to be approved. I have to find out whether that should be an ABR anyway or just go through Alexandra. So I'll do that in the next day or so.

And then there's one from Satish on APRALO outreach activities at the APRIGF. I have confirmed with [Jerome] that that is actually in the APRALO region so that would include any kind of CROP trips you wanted to take for that or RALO discretionary funding. The view for that would likely ask you to do those sources rather than an ABR. That's what I'm hearing from [Jerome].

Moving to the EURALO ABR request, so these again are [inaudible] from last year that were not approved so I'm a little concerned about that. I have not seen considerable changes from last year. These are diversity in ICANN leadership bodies. This is a workshop that would be at the... It's a number of workshops actually and they're looking for, also, an event at the IGF. There's another one on support participation of individual users in EURALO. I would think that is basically asking for the [global] support of individuals that At-Large staff already give, for example, to NARALO so I think that we can go ahead and say that we will do that one because it is basically the individuals and I don't think that an ABR is needed on that one.

Another one is the Internet of Things and the increasing governance challenge ahead. This is, again, a workshop at the IGF so again, anything to do with the IGF has that text next to it about the policy-related and ICANN-related meetings.

Now this is one from Sergio. This is from LACRALO. This is an online and face-to-face workshop for those not involved in Internet governance in the Latin American and Caribbean region. This is a strong... This has very strong potential, but I think what we requested was that this possibly could take place online with webinars, as a series of webinars, hopefully

working with Rodrigo De La Parra, the GFC VP in that region, as well as a possible small workshop at the March 2020 Cancún meeting. So I'm hoping to hear back from Harold and Sergio today because the FBSC will be [able to] remove that request tomorrow.

And then moving to NARALO, so the main one is this North American Indigenous... I'm sorry, there are three of them. North American Indigenous fellowship that is through Dolores Taylor, that is looking for a couple of people going from the indigenous region in North America including into Alaska and Canada for the fellowship. I think she's looking for two slots as well as a mentor. So I have reached out to her with some questions and she's responded. Again, my thoughts here are that we already allow open, anybody to apply to the fellowship so I don't know whether there needs to be a special ABR on this, but I think maybe the FBSC will move ahead to submit this and will work with Siranush on this one.

The second NARALO ABR is for the second North American School of Governance. During the FBSC call last week, it was agreed that Glenn would reach out to Chris Mondini who is the GSC Regional VP for North America and a call with us should happen anytime now. That's an excellent request. I'm quite sure that that one will happen. I don't know whether through an ABR, but I think that it will be supported to some extent.

And that's all the ABRs I have. Glenn, I do have one noted but with no information that is called a policy development workshop, so I don't have any details on that one.

Okay, Maureen, I think that I've covered those. Back to you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Thank you, Heidi and Sergio has put his hand up again for a clarification so if you'd like to go ahead, Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Maureen. I just wanted to tell you what we have planned for 2020. It was very important for us to incorporate individual users and organizations that are not involved in our work in the region and are not represented by an ALS in the countries, in the [inaudible] school of governance that has had to [inaudible] participants involved this year.

We have a lot of potential to give momentum to LACRALO and to boost active involvement in ICANN activities. That is why the School of Governance received our proposal to have our participation in Mexico in the International Day of the Internet to have a group of ALSes participating in that activity of the Southern School of Governance because that will enable them to interact with other users in the region, and at the same time, also to work towards building the Latin American/Caribbean region even further.

That is why we believe that our participation in Cancún can be fantastic and I hope we can have several representatives of LACRALO ALSes there. But we also think it is very important to be part of the School of Governance. [Inaudible] for the School of Governance of the south, our proposal has been to have a slot where we can explain how they can participate within LACRALO with each other active in participation

channels that are relevant to them according to their cross-community interests or some specific interest that they may have and for that purpose, we thought it was very important for us to have a space within the School of Governance and to keep that space over time. If we succeed in having that permanent space in the School of Governance that usually has the same number of participants but with new participants each time, we would be able to capture more interest into LACRALO activities.

I wanted to make this clarification because perhaps initially this was not so clear, but perhaps this can be revised and with this, the region could have a way to reach out to all the countries that are not participating in LACRALO now and we can also enhance the participation of individual users within LACRALO. That will be all. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much, Sergio. And I'm sure that a lot of people will agree with your intent for the members within your region. And I think that because we're sort of looking towards how we can go about doing this, working on your, this is sort of like a little bit of your outreach and engagement strategy for Financial Year 20 and working, collaborating with your leaders and your membership teams and with your GSC and other partners within your region to work on ways in which you can manage getting as many people as possible to that meeting, as well taking into account the fellowships and other means by which you can encourage more attendance to a meeting that's close by a lot of your members.

So right, I think that you definitely got the intent. We really do appreciate that, that you've got the members' interests at heart and also looking at building capacity, which would be possible through the School of Internet Governance which as got a reputation of its own anyway for developing the potential of participants in ICANN through that because it's very much ICANN-related as well.

Thank you. Okay, so let's... I see Glenn's hand's up again. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Hi. Very quickly, just for the benefit for the people who didn't see or hear about the policy [comment] workshop. Some of you may know that NCUC had two webinars and a face-to-face in Puerto Rico on how to do policy comments. So based on that course, that inspired me to do a proposal.

Now I have talked to Eduardo Diaz on the ATLAS III program. Perhaps it could be integrated within that as well. So if it's not ABR funded, perhaps we can do something lighter and within the ATLAS III program. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Great. Thank you. Well, I think that what Heidi was saying, we didn't have any information anyway, so if you've already been in discussion with Eduardo and we may be able to use the ideas within the ATLAS program, that would be great. Thank you.

Any other questions or queries [inaudible]? Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Just points. Glenn, I'm sure you sent it so I apologize. If you could please send that to me immediately. As noted, we already do have a facilitator from Insight Learning for the summit, so depending on his skill set, we could definitely do, incorporate that, but let's take a look at that.

And then, Sergio, thank you so much for that detailed explanation of your request. That has helped me a lot. Maureen, if it's okay, I would suggest that Silvia and I have a call with Sergio, Harold and Rodrigo in the next day or so to talk about this and see how that might fit into the LAC strategy. I really think that that's a strong, I like the connection between LACNIC and Southern School of Governance, etc. Okay? So I'll make a note of that.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'm sure that will be very much appreciated, Heidi. That's excellent. Excellent idea. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you so much. Okay, thanks, Sergio.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, so no other questions or queries on that then. Shall we move forward? And we're just going to go now to ICANN 64. And well, before we start, will Gisella, would you like to let people know what's happening on the, we've got a homepage for that as well?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Maureen, thank you for this. We've got an At-Large draft schedule which we discussed during the last ICANN 64 planning committee call which hasn't changed in the meantime. I'll be submitting this meeting's forms this week and as previously mentioned, we can still change the title and the content and any links over the next couple of weeks. But in the next couple of weeks, the schedule will actually be closing. So we're hoping to have also a little update on the outreach session whether by probably within the next 48 hours. We're just trying to find a suitable time for that. Again, that was mentioned in ICANN 64 planning call. So as soon as that is as the EMS forms, which are our meeting's forms, have been submitted, we will start populating the ICANN 64 main Wiki page and on those Wiki pages, we'll be starting to work on the agendas and fine tuning everything.

At this stage, there's no more information. I'm hoping to get... Actually, there is information because we have had information about the hotels and from what [inaudible]'s team has told us is that the ALAC will be housed at the Kobe Portopia Hotel, which is 400 meters from the conference center so that is great news as that is the closest hotel to the conference center and there's no shuttle required. All other people will need to take a shuttle to get there or the people housed at the other hotels [inaudible].

I hope everyone has got their Visas either sorted or in progress and I'll be following up very closely with all At-Large travel, funded travelers to make sure that they do have their Visas or if there are any issues. And yes, Daniel, we are aware of your issue and we're working on that.

And then just to remind everyone as we get closer, to make sure that they're registered for the meeting and any other updates, I'll make sure to keep everyone informed as and when they occur. Thank you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. Thank you, Gisella. I think one of the things that we've also been focusing on for Kobe has been the working session topics that Gisella referred to, that when she's putting in the [inaudible], the blocks to be part of the ICANN schedule, she can, we can actually sort of rename those closer to the time. So they're just seeing Kobe ALAC and regional working sessions or something. And so that there are definitely some areas that we need to work on with regards to what we're actually going to hold within those working sessions. And we've actually already sort of got some sessions and train already. There is a compliance workshop and something that Jamie Hedlund is keen to look at, not only a 101 working session on what compliance is and how it works, but also to address some issues that John LaPrise has raised.

But it's so it goes through a gradual process rather than just whamming the community group on the high level compliance. We're actually going to get an introduction with Jamie first off and I would suggest that we also invite his boss, Maggie [inaudible] name, to come along to that session as well.

We will have two outreach and engagement meetings. One is the actual meeting, which will, just a formal meeting of the outreach and engagement team which will incorporate feedback from the various

working groups as well as a discussion of the outreach and engagement and capacity building strategies that the group is working on.

And the other one is a workshop which is actually like going to incorporate the various regional partners to working with RALOs within their regions and it's like a little bit of development time looking at FY20 and how the cooperation by RIRs, the GSC, NPOC is very keen to be involved. I think that [inaudible], looking at how the stakeholder toll can be developed to be more useful towards, to this kind of, to the activities that we're actually holding in our regions.

Heidi has already mentioned the leadership School of Development workshop with David Kolb who is going to be, that's going to be on Saturday over a lunchtime session or a bit longer so that we all take advantage of an opportunity while he's here as part of the leadership skills academy program.

We will get an opportunity to meet the GNSO ahead of the GNSO [inaudible] and there have been some questions posed already for him. He's only got 30 minutes to spare with us but it will be an opportunity for us to select [inaudible] our involvement with some of the things, some of the GNSO activities before he comes, but also to address some of the issues that people are concerned about. We're very fortunate to have Cheryl who will liaise with him before the meeting to make sure he's up to speed with where we're coming from and I believe that there are preparations already in train for the At-Large Institute workshop which and [inaudible] and Tatiana run with special expertise and that includes some onboarding with the Fellows and NextGen.

We plan to have our traditional get-together, informal get-together that we have with the ICANN leaders, Göran, Cherine, León, and David. So we'd like to maintain that and probably during that session, too, raise to give them updates on where we are with the review implementation plan as well as ATLAS III updates for everybody, including them, so that's something that's particularly important.

I'm just going through a list that's actually on the community Wiki about suggested topics and [folks] to meet with. Jonathan has already outlined three areas that he would like to hold workshops on during the week but it's going to be sort of a big focus for us and the sessions that I have here are Balancing Privacy and Security and Stability in the Coming Years, Universal Access Challenges and Possible At-Large Opportunities, and the third one is Subsequent Procedures and What Sort of Applications Do We Want and How Do We Get Them. So especially for the community IDNs and underserved regions, etc.

This particularly, just as an aside, when we had our capacity building meeting – was it yesterday? – we invited the GAC Liaison and the Underserved Regions Chair to that meeting because I think that one of the things that in my discussions with Paul Hunter who is the Underserved Regions Chair, the sort of things for capacity building that they were attempting to do within the GAC were exactly what we're actually looking at for At-Large and I think Paul was especially impressed by the organized approach that the capacity building team [has], so I think that that's progress and they'll be very happy to be part of the development of the At-Large program and we've got two very energetic and enthusiastic co-chairs for the capacity building session, so I think

that they will build on the sorts of things that we're actually trying to work with, with regards to the GAC anyway.

And that, no doubt, will come up in the GAC session that we have, the joint GAC session that's going to take place on Wednesday between the ALAC and the GAC.

Barrack just sent an interesting, "Look at what ccNSO is going to be involved in, in Kobe," and they do mention that they're coming to meet with us which is good and I see we planned that for Sunday, the 10th of March. And I've had some really interesting feedback from the RSAC. SSAC will meet with us and André will get back to us, no doubt, on what is happening, what will be happening with them.

The RSAC, Fred Baker's gotten back and he's offered sort of a 101 RSAC How it Works session which he's willing to include into a capacity building session with us and I've raised that with Joanna and Alfredo and I am very willing to take on a capacity building session that includes RSAC and perhaps another topic for a 60-minute session.

But they also came to be able to explain the benefits of this new software that they're using to look at security issues relating to Root Server Operators and stuff. I thought that that might be a little bit beyond the capacity building thing, but definitely something that they could feedback to us within an ALAC session so we're going to see if we can incorporate that as well.

And I think the RALO chairs are looking at a development session as well. [Inaudible] is going to get back to us about that. We'll have a couple of, an ALAC meeting, a normal ALAC meeting where there will be

feedback from the various liaisons and I think that that was raised, sort of supported by Jonathan saying that people who represent the At-Large and across the various communities should be able to feedback to us so that we're, just to sort of see what kind of messages are going backwards and forwards for those people.

And there's been also another session that's been proposed and that's to look at the ICANN strategic plan. And I think that by that stage, the strategic plan comment period will have been, will be closed, but it would give... The discussion about it could be proposed to sort of strengthen the view of our community and perhaps to add some information and to add to any public comment that people want to make in the public forum.

So okay, so that's basically a run-down of the sorts of things that people are willing to be involved in and I'm hoping they're willing to chair some of those sessions. I know that, for example, in the [asset], they chose the day that they were willing to spend with us, the session they actually gave was the 1:30-3:00 on Wednesday which I think is the same, which was the only session we had available but it's also a time when there's a conflict with the auction proceeds, so we're going to have to see if we can sort of... There's a session before that and we might be able to have a lunchtime session or something, but I'd really like to be able to go to that auction proceeds [inaudible].

Are there any questions or queries on anyone who wants to be further involved or anything? We want to... This is the cut-off point. I agree, Cheryl. This is the cut-off point. We want to be able to... I think we've got enough to actually fill things in and we can probably adjust things a

little bit as we're moving on, but I don't want to stop an opportunity for anyone who wants to have some input. I don't want to put a barrier down right now, but we do need to know by Friday. Oh, that's tomorrow.

Okay, so that's the deadline date. That's when we're going to start making, we're going to be sliding things in and I just don't want Gisella to have more of a headache than she's probably got already and this is just the start of people starting to negotiate things with regards to timing of the schedule.

Yes, thank you, Cheryl.

Okay. Sébastien?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you, Maureen. I wanted to support what Cheryl just wrote. I really don't think that an ICANN meeting is just a meeting where we go for our own stuff and if you don't like that, we're losing why we are in an ICANN meeting. We need to take part of the time to do our own job, but we can do that other time. But what is important, it's also not just to have people coming to us and us coming to their normal work and then going to our normal work, not just an exchange between Glenn and us, but also what we do and how they [work].

It's not, we will not understand what is the multi-stakeholder within ICANN and we will lose a lot.

I was hoping with your new [inaudible] that you will have taken this on board, but I think it would be so difficult to give to everybody what they

want. At the end of the day, we are stuck. Maybe we can do the ALAC and At-Large meeting at night and go to the other during the day. I am sure you will appreciate that, but it's something we need, really, to think about. Thank you and I really support what Cheryl is noting in that sentence. Thank you.

[NADIRA AL ARAJ]:

Yeah. I agree with what Cheryl is saying too, and I think that it's not just the request that is coming from us but I do agree with their request, that when people come to visit, it's got to be how it impacts on us and our community. Sure, we have to find out what's on top for them, but it still should reflect more on how it impacts on us.

I think what we're trying to do is get a balance. We've been getting lots of requests and I think that this is probably what sort of things that might be an overload because we're getting people requesting to come to speak to us. But one of the good things is we're saying that we want to know what it is that you want to know. So that's the advantage for us, and although it might seem like overload, I think that what we're actually doing is making sure that we include them and that we meet both our goals, that they can tell us what's important for them but they've also got to address what's important for us.

So I completely understand what you're saying and I think that this is why we need to get that cut-off this Friday and then we can look at how we balance out some of those [leads] or the program across those sections.

And yeah, I think we'll be fine. We'll be fine.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Nadira. Yes, balance. Are there any other questions or queries on that? It's sort of like I'm getting my head around it a bit more and I've got Gisella to keep me balanced. So I'm quite happy with that.

Okay. Well, a few more minutes then. We're going to look then at our ALAC meeting which is next week. There's actually looking at the schedule for that meeting which is not similar to what we've been through except that we won't need to do as much of the discussion. But is there anything else that anybody wanted to raise for the ALAC meeting?

Is there anything that anybody wants to raise about this meeting?

Well, Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Oh, come on, Maureen .I was being relatively quiet.

Just with the ALAC meeting as usual, the GNSO meeting will be out of sync and I will have even less to report than normal because it's the GNSO's strategic planning sessions for three or four days next week. The only part of it I'm involved with will be diving into the actual GNSO Council meeting and they're also terribly busy doing whatever preparation, pre-reading and [navel] gazing is required for that.

I don't even have a current Council agenda that I can put up, but that said, one thing you might want to consider discussion and I would encourage out of the last GNSO meeting that I attended and reported to you on, possible decision, and that's the one that's not concluded from your email list on the cross-community committee on Internet

governance. I think that it's something that the ALAC does need to, as an ALAC, further. You had a couple of options. You had some good discussion. I'd hate to see that slip through the net because I can assure you that the GNSO has little, if any, appetite to be engaged in any way, shape or form and you're not going to get a cross-community input other than from a few of the usual suspects out of civil society, the GNSO and they're probably already At-Large members anyway.

Yeah, and I would not be supportive of having an ALAC/At-Large only effort on it, so looking towards what León said and all that sort of stuff, it's something that, perhaps, all of your ALAC may not be up with so that's my only suggestion on the agenda there because it's a relatively important share. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you for that. Thank you for that reminder. And yes, I must admit we were just going to wait on getting some feedback from León because both Olivier and I approached him and he said he would get back to us. So I will try and see before the ALAC meeting that we look at how we can move forward on that one and the decision, I think we made going to him was foregoing the doing it on our own. But it's also just getting feedback from León as to what would be the best approach to the Board if that's what he makes a recommendation to do.

Okay, so that's, yes, something that Heidi, if you wouldn't mind making sure that that's on the agenda for the ALAC meeting. Is there anything else that's like, that people... Sébastien?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes, thank you, Maureen. Yeah, I would like, once again, to agree with Cheryl. I think it's a very important [inaudible]. It's important because we don't know how we will deal with that and I would like to come with a maybe new – I don't know if it's new – idea, but it's too... First of all, I don't think that we will have any feedback from the Board.

The Board have decided since the arrival of Göran, that Internet governance, it's not the topic. They decreased involvement. They decreased the budget. Even if it's [TLD], they started declining. The underserved, from my point of view, will be, yeah. But now we are working. We will work on a new strategy [inaudible] and I am sure that that's one part which may, if not, disappear, [inaudible] be decreased a lot.

Therefore, I would like to suggest that we could do our roots and our roots may be to ask each RALO if they are willing to have a small working group on that issue and if they wish to coordinate those working groups at the level of At-Large and ALAC, I'm going to ask if other parts of this ICANN overall mission, constituency, sub-group, stakeholder group, whatever. They want to join with them to do some cross-work, cross-community work.

I really don't think that ALAC is a good level of involvement, particularly when we see the amount of work we have already and even if we have people like Olivier who are very involved in that and many other things, I really think that we can give that to the RALO, to do part of the work. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. We can talk about that. Frank, you might make a presentation on that one.

Okay, any other questions or queries, additions?

All right, well, I don't think there's anything wrong with finishing a few minutes early. Is there? If there's nothing else to raise, I'd like to thank you for the... Although, I think I've done most of the talking. I'm sorry about that, but I do appreciate the input and I must admit. I'm really sorry I missed the CPWG meeting this morning because I've had about three people tell me already that that was a really exciting meeting this morning, so great to hear and it's really good.

I do want to draw everyone's attention and I think we should advertise it as much as possible and that's the executive summary page which has been fed up to let people know that what results from our discussions, particularly coming from the CPWG and by way of... And that if we can get more people, even just coming along to listen because I think that that's one of the important parts of part of our capacity building is hearing those discussions. I learned heat myself.

Okay, so thank you very much and I'll say good-bye at the end and close this meeting. Thank you.

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

This meeting is now adjourned. Thank you everyone for joining this call. Enjoy the rest of your day or evening. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you all.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Bye everyone.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]