
YESIM NAZLAR: Good afternoon and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Technology Taskforce Working Group Call taking place on Monday, 14th of January, 2019 at 16:30 UTC.

On our English channel, we have Judith Hellerstein, Beran Dondoh, Abdulkarim Oloyede, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Glenn McKnight, Fotjon Kosta, John Laprise, Gordon Chillcott, Maureen Hilyard, Jahangir Hossain, Ricardo Holmquist, Harold Arcos, Alfredo Calderon, and Sébastien Bachollet.

Currently, we don't have anyone on the Spanish channel. We have received apologies from Justine Chew, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Matthias Hudobnik, and from Sarah Kiden. And from staff's side, we have Silvia Vivanco, Evin Erdogan, Mark Segall, Laura Bengford, and myself, Yeşim Nazlar.

Our Spanish interpreters for today's call are Veronica and Claudia. And before we start, I would like to remind everyone to please state your names before speaking, not only for the transcription but also for the interpretation purposes as well. And I also would like to note that from staff, Heidi Ullrich has joined us as well. So now, I would like to leave the floor back to you, Judith. Thank you very much.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: [inaudible] I did not hear my name on the roll call.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Daniel, okay, we'll make sure you're listed, and Satish Babu has joined the call as well.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yes. And I'll join the dial-out [inaudible]. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, that'll be great. Okay, so thanks so much for having the call, and our first call in a while. I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce our new co-chairs. We have Satish Babu from the APRALO region, we have Abdulkarim Oloyede, otherwise known as AK, from the AFRALO region, and we have back Dev Anand Teelucksingh, our past chair who's now representing the LACRALO region. And then I'm from NARALO.

We're still looking for if there's a co-chair from EURALO region who wants to come forward, just let us know. But currently, we don't have one. But I just wanted to make sure that they get a chance to do very short introductions. Do any of the vice chairs want to introduce themselves? Okay. Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, well, I've been a chair of this technology group since its inception, so I think most [participants] know about me already. [inaudible] long-time member of At-Large, and obviously looking forward to continuing

the work of the Technology Taskforce in solving the At-Large challenges.
That's it.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thank you so much, and welcome, Tracy, to the call. Who else –

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Thank you, Judith. This is AK, Abdulkarim.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. Welcome.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: I am really looking forward to working with everybody. I have known Judith for some time now, and I am really looking forward to working closely with you again. Thank you very much.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Great. Okay, great to have you onboard. And Satish, did you want to say a few words? Or if not, we can just move on. Okay, so I guess we'll move on. Thanks so much for coming and helping me chair this committee and making sure that we have representation from most of the regions as well. Dev, I'm going to go right to you to do an introduction of the LACRALO translation tool, and then discuss some of the problems which we had, and I guess Mark will take the floor after that. I see [Corine] is not on, but maybe he could provide her information as well. So over to you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you, Judith. Just to give some background about the LACRALO mailing list translation tool, LACRALO has two mailing lists, a LAC Discuss EN list, and a Spanish list, a LAC Discuss ES list. E-mails in English are sent to the LAC Discuss EN list, are machine translated to the Spanish list, and similarly, e-mails in Spanish are sent to the Spanish list and are translated and posted to the English list.

Now, this tool, this type of translation has been around for quite some time. The first actuation of the tool had significant problems, and if you wish, you can go to the Wiki page and study the detailed history on that. But some progress is made in that a budget request was made to help fix the tool, and a fix was deployed in late 2017, and the tool offered some significant improvements and continues to offer significant improvements over the previous version before 2017.

I just wanted to note, however, that there's been two critical issues that have been noticed since 2018, and I posted this already to the Wiki page, so the Wiki page – do I have control over the Wiki page? Yes I do, in the Adobe Connect room. Okay, perfect.

So the two issues are better identification of which e-mails gave the translation tool problems. The translation tool, if it encounters an error in translation, it gives an error message to the sender saying “your message was not translated because of an identified issue.”

Now, one of the key issues that's been identified by the translation tool is that sentence punctuation must be followed by a space, and [you have to edit the post and] send it again. One of the challenges with this

is that while you do get the message, it doesn't say where the error is in the e-mail, and if you have a relatively long e-mail, it'll be very challenging for users to discover where they're making the mistake in order to correct it and be more aware of it in future postings.

So what is happening is that a significant number of these messages are being generated by senders [to both lists,] and they get this generic message and it's not obvious what to do. And because they're not able to correct their behaviors in future postings, it happens again, and the error message becomes more not helpful and I think becomes more of a hinderance. So one of the issues I wanted to bring up, I think for fixing, is that the tool needs to better identify where in the e-mail message the error is happening, so that's one thing.

The second thing, and this might be related to the first one, I'm not sure, but the second issue is that messages from the – okay, just kind of scroll through the thing here, sorry – okay, the formatting of the page didn't quite work out, but I'll explain it.

The e-mails from one list aren't being sent to the other. So in 2018, I noticed this quite especially because many e-mails were not being delivered to the other list. So what was happening – and I did a comparison from the month and year, ensuring the number of LACRALO messages on the English list and the LACRALO messages on the Spanish list, and there were several e-mails each month.

In one case, in one month, May 2018, there were 15 missing e-mails, meaning that e-mails were sent to one list and it was not seen on the other list. So this leads to miscommunication and misunderstanding as

to, well, we thought this issue was discussed, and no, and then it's like, "Well, no, I've not seen anything." Those types of misunderstandings.

So, why is this happening? Is it as a result of the error messages happening, from the first two? It's not clear. So those are the two core issues that I wanted to highlight and to perhaps Mark to give a response. Like I said, it's all on the Wiki page [inaudible] on the PDF isn't quite there yet. So you can go to the Wiki page and see the descriptions of the two issues better.

Okay, those are the key issues. Any comments or questions?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. Thanks so much, Dev, for that. We appreciate it. So, to rephrase, we had two issues. One, that we need to identify where in the message the error is occurring, and two, why are some e-mails not being translated and sent out. So we'll just go over to Mark for his answers. Thanks so much. Mark?

MARK SEGALL: Can you still hear me okay?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, Mark, we can.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah.

MARK SEGALL:

Okay, great. Yes, we're aware of these two items. I know that the first one – I'll start with that real quick, the challenge in that is that we're talking about a pretty significant enhancement to be able to understand where in a message the problem lies, and that'll get to one of the points when – I know I have a presentation that I have put together, not sure if this is the appropriate time to get into it, or I can save that for when we do bring it up.

The second item was brought to our attention, as Dev said, probably around mid-year, and it has proven to be a challenge to identify why messages are suddenly – one list has more messages than the other. That is definitely something that we're definitely going to be starting to look into and see what kind of assessment. And unfortunately, I don't have an answer on that one, why it's happening, but we will start looking into that one.

I'd say if Dev agrees, I think that the second item is probably the more critical item. As he points out, lost communication between the two lists definitely can cause communication gaps between the two lists, and probably would be [raised to] the most critical priority, and then the first one [listed] probably be slightly below one priority.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Can I respond, Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. Thanks so much. Dev, do you agree with the priority? I also think that it is a priority for the second thing before the first, but I want to bring it back to Dev and to others in LACRALO who are having this issues.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. Thanks, Judith, and thanks, Mark. I would say yes. And I mean, just noting for January 2019, which is now, [just to give a highlight, so is it still happening?] On the English list, there are 22 messages. On the Spanish list, there are 34 messages. So that shows the gap is still happening, and so if there's a way to turn on the logging of the tool to [really] capture some information as to why this is happening, definitely, Mark, I think, yes, that'll be appreciated.

It may be tied into the first issue, so I don't want to discount the first issue. And I think the challenge is that if I was thinking more about it is that you want error messages – if you want feedback on why the tool isn't working, I think you want it to be constructive feedback so that we can then improve ourselves. So if you're saying that the tool cannot be changed at this time to give a better description, I think what might be very useful is for you to take five messages in detail, five messages that generated the error, and actually go into them and produce a slide deck showing where the error occurred.

I think visually by us seeing, and then when you have a presentation on those five messages, I think then people will go, "Okay, I understand why it's happening." So that's just my suggestion in lieu of not tackling

the issue of the translation tool not identifying where exactly in the error message e-mail. I hope I made myself clear. Thanks.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks, Dev. Yeah, that's clear. Does anyone else have any other suggestions for Mark and his team on other ways of tackling this? If so, the floor's open for you. And if not, my question to Mark is, do we have a timeline on when you'll be able to look and to solve this issue? And the reason [we ask] is that I recall that we got a large movement on this a few years ago because we put in the additional budget request to get staff to fix it, and that was instrumental to your team and to getting your team to able to devote time to this. So I'm just wondering, right now we're coming down to a crunch line of putting in an additional budget request for this, and whether you think that would be helpful or not helpful. Please let us know. So Mark, over to you.

MARK SEGALL:

Yes, I understand the time crunch, and I think the challenge we're facing within our team is that as of July 1st, we're working from a more constrained team set due to the flattened funding. And in particular, Perl development was one of the areas that is not as full of a team as we had before. In fact, as of January 4th, we were down to zero with the new Perl developer that had just started on last Monday. So that individual's still getting up to speed and there's multiple services that they have to look after, some for the community and some are for the technical services side.

So the question of when it can be resolved, I probably can't answer right away, but I can at least say that I'm going to take [from] this discussion, at least having a dialog with the [sustained] engineering team where the Perl developer resides to ensure that we're at least getting investigation into it. So I can get a timeline. I think the first thing is just trying to understand what the problem is, and then from there, we can at least try and get a level of effort for what it takes to fix. But all I can really do right now is say we'll spend the remainder of this month trying to investigate.

As for ABR, I think it's difficult to say whether ABR will be needed, and also, one of the problems with [basically throwing] money at a situation is that it may address the problem at hand, but it doesn't give us a continuing maintenance beyond that fiscal year, so I think just something to keep in mind. I'm not saying no to ABR, but I'm also saying that we have to keep in mind that there's more than just a money aspect. Plus we have the reduced – just where everyone's focusing their time, you [also] need to make sure that there's appropriate staff time allocated to this as well. And the reason [Corine] is not on this call to actually go back to back is she's no longer – at least for the foreseeable future, not tied to At-Large because she's helping out with the information transparency initiative, and I'll have an update on that one later.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Mark?

MARK SEGALL: Yes. Okay, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. If I may, Judith, it might be just useful to go straight to your presentation, because I think that's going to answer the possibility of an ABR or not. So did you want to just go ahead and move to that?

MARK SEGALL: Yes, absolutely. Thank you. So yes, let's go ahead and go – or do I have control of it? If I scroll down, will people –

YESIM NAZLAR: Yes, Mark.

MARK SEGALL: Okay. So I had three items here that had come up from discussions over e-mail over the last couple of weeks, so I'll focus on the LACRALO transbot, and then I can pause before going into the other updates. [inaudible] LACRALO transbot page. Okay, so I won't go in the background, I think Dev did a better job of background than I will, but the current state, I think it's important to know it's at a crossroads.

There's two issues in play right now. one is the architecture's not scalable. This is a conversation [where] Dev and I go back probably about two, three years now where we're aware that it was designed specifically for the LACRALO, the LAC Discuss mailing list, but not necessarily designed for the future if we want to add more languages or

want to add more mailing lists, or any kind of scale. It's just not built for that. It's built very much to be just between two lists in one language.

And then as I mentioned, we're capacity constrained as of FY19. Some of the [offshore] resources we once had were rolled off, so we're working from a slimmer group. Also, one of the things that's occurred is that Göran has implemented a frozen pipeline process, so for anything requiring more than 80 hours of development, it has to go through a series of executive approval and then fits into a six-month pipeline that's very – as I said, frozen.

So right now, we're working on the pipeline that goes from January to June, and any kind of new enhancements would fill into a July-December timeline and have to be prioritized by the executives. And as we've been talking about those issues remaining, including some not being translated and formatting rules not being followed, but the two that Dev listed, probably these are encapsulated in the two that Dev went over earlier.

So we've been having some discussion over the last couple weeks, and basically, there's two [tailored] paths that we see for this. First is we need to perform an analysis of those failed translations and determine what kind of short-term opportunities there are. So we all agreed that there needs to be some kind of assessment. And when I say we, I mean the At-Large policy support team and the engineering and IT teams.

But to look at exactly what we're talking about, that second issue that was are raised and see, are there opportunities, can there be some training, can there be other quick bugfixes that can be put in place

without us having to put something on that frozen pipeline I just spoke to or any other kind of opportunities there.

And then we're going to have a discovery period to look at the long-term direction. That could be anything from do we replatform it in Java where we have a stronger capacity, or is it something where we need to look even bigger than that? But some kind of off-the-shelf tool or other possible directions. Like I said, we need to assess and just kind of come up with that possibility.

So that's basically where we're at and where we're looking. I hope that's answering the questions that both Dev and Judith had raised.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much. Dev, I'll go to you, but one question I had is, we had a separate tool that was designed. Was the issue – was this before we put in the original budget request, or after? And if it was, maybe I guess [the thought] would have been that when we had resources addressed, we could have redesigned the program so it could scale, but I guess that's not an issue now. But Dev, I'll go to you. Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Yes. Thanks. Just coming off mute. Thanks, Mark. So just to confirm something here, so when you said the architecture's not scalable, you meant in terms of like additional languages, correct? Like if you wanted to perhaps offer French or other languages, are you referring to that in terms of the architecture? Just to clarify, and then I'll have a follow-up.

MARK SEGALL: No problem, Dev. Yeah, referring to maybe two or three points on architecture, one being the languages, two being if we wanted to add other mailing lists in the future. So let's say the AFRALO or one of the other RALOs was interested in leveraging a tool like this, it's not scalable for other mailing lists, and the fact that it's written in Perl instead of Java. Java is our strategic platform.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks [for this.] With regards to the scaling of the multiple languages, I did share – well, this was way back when, before the ABR budget request, of a method to scale for different languages. Perhaps I could share that back again to the chat. Essentially – so as a possible way forward for that, because I think the scaling can work with the method I suggested back then.

So I'd be willing to help assess with the analysis of the translation attempts to determine any short-term opportunity, and like I said, one of the opportunities that I suggested will be to take some actual e-mails that are being planned and to identify exactly where it happened, so we can have the original message on one slide or on half the slide, and then the highlight in red as to where the bad punctuation is happening that's triggering the message. I think that could work as a short-term opportunity.

And I know that we have set up two testing lists, so perhaps what we can do is we select those testing lists and have a short, small team go on those testing lists and start, well, figuring out exactly what messages are

triggering the message or not. And maybe then we can just hopefully get a quick win in solving and improving the tool.

But I will say that the tool does work, the translation has been greatly improved since it was first deployed, and as a long-time LACRALO member, the previous tool was horrendous in terms that it was actual gibberish in past e-mails. And again, for those who are not familiar with – you can go to the Wiki page and you have the gory details. So the tool is working better than before. So I would not call this that it's not working and we need to discontinue it. I think it's absolutely critical.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Dev, thanks so much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Dev, thanks so much. We're not saying to end it, I was just questioning when we did the ABR, we got the staff to do it, if they thought the tool wasn't scalable, then why they didn't flag that then so that instead of spending a huge amount of money to fix the tool, they could have built something that would be scalable in the future and that could be used by others, because I think we always mentioned that in the future, we wanted AFRALO to be using this, because they [had its] best interest. So that was just my question. [inaudible] question.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And there are other languages within LACRALO such as Portuguese and French, but if we get the French working group, we can get it to AFRALO working as well, because they do have a lot of languages as well. But just wanted to hear from Mark on that.

MARK SEGALL: Hi, Judith. To answer the question about how it was approached before, to my knowledge, I don't think that we actually got to the point of an ABR on the last one. I think we leveraged our existing partnership with [inaudible] who's our offshore partner for development to get another resource to work through those issues. But I don't believe it was for an ABR. And at the time, the focus was not to revisit the whole architecture of it as much as getting through some of those pain points that Dev brought up where subject lines were just becoming incoherent, there was, as he said, gibberish inside the content itself. So it was more of just fixing the issues and making the tool usable. And the conversations that Dev and I had were more around once we got this to a stable point, how we could potentially expand it for more languages and more mailing lists.

And even then – and Dev, you're correct, we did discuss some approaches, but those would still require some development and that was just a matter of when that was going to be prioritized as an item to tackle. And then I think FY19 is what kind of threw us internally. Obviously, we're going to have to make some sacrifices [inaudible] less

funding, and one of those sacrifices [inaudible] expected loss of Perl developers.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Mark, thanks so much for that. So what I guess I'm confused on is that you said [inaudible] so you can't use the same tool and put it in French or other languages? But I guess – I'm not a techie, but I'm just wondering, if that's not clear, then if we put in an ABR on it, they'll say, "Well, this is not – why are we putting money into something that can only be for one language when we could be building something that could be working for all languages?" And maybe we should do that. Heidi, I see you have your hand up. Did you want to add something to that?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Thank you, Judith. So we've spoken with Mark, and it's our belief that to get this working as we all wish it to will take something a lot larger than an ABR could likely cover. Clearly, with the reduced envelope for the ABRs. So we thought that it would not be useful to have an ABR at this point, that it would be useful to continue with the testing and enter this discovery period on what ICANN should do to fix this in a larger way.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Heidi, thanks so much. Yeah, I'm not fixated on the ABR. What we want is we want to get it done. If they're saying – that's why I asked Mark, if Mark's saying – if that's a way of getting us resources, then yes, we'll go

that route. But what we really want is to get it done. So we'll trust in what you're saying, that an ABR is not the way to go, but that's where we want to bring it to make sure that we get some funding to get this done. And that's our main interest. Dev, you have your hand up.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Judith. Okay, Mark, I'm happy to have an offline conversation with you on this, on figuring out the next steps forward. And if we need to have special purpose calls where we try to actually debug the issues and come up with any – are there any short-term [inaudible] solutions to fixing the bugs, then maybe we handle that.

I shared the concept [inaudible] translation tool, and what it allowed for, it scales to multiple languages [inaudible]. And that was in 2014, 2015, so I think the concept [in that] is still valid, and I think it's actually doable, because it's not really reengineering additional architecture so much, but just repurposing how the tool works and [inaudible] workflow. And it becomes [inaudible] slide, you could see how you could simply just add another language quickly.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Dev, thanks so much. Silvia or Heidi, are these urgent, or can we let Mark provide his answer?

HEIDI ULLRICH: If I may, what might be useful in terms of funding is that you mentioned this in your fiscal year 20 budget statement in response to the public comment, because again, going what we think is the right way will take

more funds than an ABR could likely provide. However, if you stated that in your fiscal year 20 budget statement, that might raise the issue for that year, fiscal year, or even the next fiscal year.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks, Heidi, for those comments as well as also probably on the two-year strategy, because these tools need to be not just [on the] budget year, but on the two-year strategy so that we know in advance what issues, that there'll be a drop-off like we didn't have a Perl programmer, we didn't know that information, and I think in the two-year strategy, we will have that information going forward.

Silvia, is it urgent? Can we get Mark's answer?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Just a quick comment or question for Dev on the new concept. [inaudible] So I understand it'll be one list where everybody's posting in both languages, and then the English list and the Spanish list. So we'll have three, and [that would solve] the problem of missing e-mails, which is the main problem from my perspective, because if I see that the quality of the translation has been improved significantly, it's very good, it's just that we are missing – some e-mails are just not being translated. So that would solve the issue that someone is missing the e-mail. They can see in one list both languages. Is that doable? Maybe Mark can answer that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much, Silvia, and I'll go over to Mark. Mark?

MARK SEGALL: Sorry, I'm trying to understand that question that was coming from Dev. I was taking notes there but I didn't really catch – so Dev, [if you can] please repeat the question you have for me.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: That was Silvia who raised a question. Mark, I posted a link in the chat of a concept for scaling the translation tool, which is what I came up with before we submitted the budget request in 2015. So [inaudible] we don't need to get feedback now, but you could just study it and get your feedback later. And then also scaling of adding additional languages to a mailing list. And again, because [I don't know,] we probably do have other things to talk about. We have separate conference calls with the commission of the [inaudible] chair to deep dive into the tool [inaudible] and so forth. And again, because really again, this tool is very important. Yeah, that's it.

MARK SEGALL: Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks, Dev.

MARK SEGALL: Yes, agree, and I do recall the document. I think we should probably think of applying the – it's more about refactoring the existing code to

fit into that new architecture, and that comes back to the question of if it was written in Perl, why would we [move back] to the Perl instead of building it from Java, or as we're going to be investigating, whether there's some other tool that has since been developed out there that we can buy off the shelf, which would be the preferred route, because even if we throw developers at this, when you have custom development, you're going to have maintenance that needs to continue on.

So again, that goes to the long-term strategy, where do we go from here for the long-term, making sure that not only we have a tool that's stable but being able to have the resources to maintain it, and if more enhancements are needed or anything like that, an off-the-shelf solution could be a better approach because it's no longer requiring the ICANN staff, who have to prioritize among other development that they have.

So again, I'm just throwing out things of possibility to what may come out of an assessment that's yet to happen.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much, Mark, for that. Yeah, I do think you guys should have a special purpose call to dive into that, because we do have another issue that came up in our At-Large conversations with what the RALOs were needing, and that is wanting – well, two of the issues. One is the continual problems we have with Adobe Connect sometimes, and when we'll have a new version that ICANN will be using, and then the second,

which is the last item, which is a need by not a conferencing tool per se but a webcasting tool.

And I know Zoom has a webcasting tool so that RALOs could use it or ALSes could use it to film events they are doing, and that's what they were looking for, not as much as a conferencing tool but a webcasting tool. So I know you had that in your presentation, and I wanted to clarify it because I wasn't sure if you had understood that need. So that's why I'm going back to you, Mark.

MARK SEGALL:

I'm sorry, Judith, I was responding to Carlton on the message thread and I didn't hear the exact question for me.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Oh, yeah. So what a lot of the ALSes have asked for, and we're thinking of putting in an additional budget request on this, but we wanted to [get it from] you first, is that Zoom, you have a license for Zoom as a web conferencing tool, but what many of the ALSes are looking for Zoom as a webcasting tool to film different events they are having, and looking at possibly using discretionary or other money to [procure] a tool, but if ICANN already has access to a tool and what type of access, and could users and At-Large reuse this tool instead of opening up a new account, finding out what the status of Zoom, not as a web conferencing tool but as a webcasting tool.

MARK SEGALL: Judith, yes, the team, Josh and [Sarah] were both traveling last week. We did briefly discuss this on Friday, and I believe that either Josh or Sarah was going to provide a response to – there's an e-mail thread on this one, and I believe they were going to provide a response specifically to this. I don't have an update myself. I'm awaiting that response.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: So the question is, in our RALO, we are planning on putting in, and other ones, we are planning on putting in an additional budget request or using our discretionary funding to purchase a membership to Zoom, and if we don't have to use that money, and if ICANN can be managing that and that we can gain access [or if a RALO has it or if At-Large has it] that we can gain access to, that will make everything so much easier. So that's why we were looking at that, and I wasn't clear whether you understood that it wasn't necessarily for web conferencing, it was more for webcasting. So that's what I want to make clear on, because your presentation wasn't as clear on that. Dev, you have your hand up.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Judith. So a question to Mark. [inaudible] significant milestone in that you don't need Flash to access the Adobe Connect room because there is no HTML5 client. So [inaudible] this going to be deployed, and if so, when? And if not, why not? [inaudible] this question. [And then I] have a follow-up question on another Adobe Connect-related issue.

MARK SEGALL: I'll have to, unfortunately, defer to Sarah and Josh on this particular matter, because I note there was a separate e-mail thread, and the two of them were looking into it. It was just a matter of bandwidth last week because they had to deal with shipments in preparation for Kobe. And it looks like Heidi may have already had interaction with Josh, because I see on the thread that she says that he'll be providing an update shortly.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. A quick follow-up, second question, Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. Please [go ahead, Dev.]

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. So the second question is regarding how – and this is identified on the technology issues page– to make our work in ICANN At-Large more accessible given that a lot of our work is done online and via Adobe Connect. [inaudible] how recordings can be easily shared on social media and so forth. [inaudible] we've shown that we can take videos from the Adobe Connect recordings and upload it to YouTube for easier sharing. And also [inaudible] easier playback on mobile devices, because currently right now, all Adobe Connect recordings can't be played back on mobile devices because they don't have Flash. So, is there a way to – well, is there a way for having these recordings done, uploaded to YouTube as is without any – well, sorry, upload the Adobe Connect recordings to YouTube as part of the standard workflow going

forward? Because I think once we start doing that, it becomes much easier to share what has happened in a call. So just a thought. Any response on that, or that's something that perhaps staff wants to answer?

MARK SEGALL:

I know we talked about this particular topic in the past. I would have to have discussion with the staff. I know that one of the challenges – and I think there was an open item that when they're trying to load in the audio files, they have to do so in real time on the computer while they're trying to do their other work, so it can be a little disruptive, and there was talk of potentially having a separate computer that they could use to do that function. And I don't think that was ever approved.

So yeah, I don't necessarily think that's a question for me as much as whether it's something that policy support has the bandwidth to do for every meeting.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks, Mark, for that. we do have another quick question on the expanding of the technology list, and that was raised by Satish, a co-chair. There was work on the Consolidated Policy Working Group, there was a request that instead of using Google Docs for all collaborative platforms, that we look at some other platforms that are available, and just wanted to find out from Mark, does ICANN use other collaborative platforms, or is that something that we should be researching?

MARK SEGALL: I know that as of about this time last year, the ICANN staff formally adopted Google Drive for their work, and even that we're primarily using as a storage [app,] so not necessarily 100% using it for the docs and sheets, slides capability. Those are still a little more in the works. So the short answer is Google's pretty much the only collaborative tool other than – I know that the community Wiki has had some enhancements over time for being able to do collaborative offering, but from what I've understood, it's not heavily used yet and it might still be a tool, a feature that needs a little more maturing.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, no, people's concern was on the confidentiality and privacy of Google's information. And maybe, is the business Google account more secure than the free account? And if so, maybe we could get access to that for our discussions on the Consolidated Policy Working Group for our drafting.

MARK SEGALL: Yes, [there is] more secure. For internal, we're actually using a Google, a domain, and it's tied to our single sign-on. And then for external, there is a capability of what's called a team drive, and we do have a capability of setting up these individual drives, but SSAC in particular is a group that was starting to use it, and one of the first complaints they had is that the team drive concept is secure, but it's not very user-friendly in terms of setting security. So for example, when you set a team drive, you're setting the permission at that root level, and then there's no

ability to set permissions on the individual folders. So any time you want a new permission set, you need to create a new team drive, and that can become very monotonous over time, and confusing for the end user to have to manage multiple team drives instead of a nice, structured folder configuration.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Okay. Thanks so much. Yeah, I guess we'll look into this more and figure out, is the – people ask about the signing in. They're not wanting to create Google IDs, and maybe if we had – I guess you can get around that if people had an ICANN one that was more tied to an ALS or RALO. Then that might be getting around those things.

But okay, we're running very short of time. Dev, is that a quick question? Or we could always schedule another call next month to look at these issues, because we had so many issues to discuss. Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

A very quick comment and question, I guess. And a suggestion, actually, not really a question. Google IDs aren't needed to [edit] or comment on documents, so we've used it excessively when [inaudible] and then made it available for the public for them to make comments. So you don't need a Google ID to edit the document or to comment on a document. That's one.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Dev –

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: [inaudible] let me just make a quick suggestion.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. Go. Go. Finish.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. So [inaudible] concern is a quite valid one. The Confluence Wiki does allow for simultaneous editing, meaning that when you're editing the Wiki page, multiple editors can edit at the same time. It's a feature [that's been introduced in] newer versions of Confluence, which I believe [inaudible] has been updated to, so perhaps if simultaneous editing is a core issue, a core feature that everybody wants, maybe [inaudible] doing a Wiki page and see how that works. That's it.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Dev, thanks so much for that information. Yeah, I think the more concern is more confidentiality of it, and there can be more work on the ICANN-hosted site, then that – because the business one does provide a lot stronger protections. So we may look into that, and we'll discuss it with the teams and find out. But if you could send us some more information about that, then that would be helpful in our reviewing of it and seeing what we could talk about.

My concern on the Confluence Wiki is that it's very difficult to find things. I know, Dev, you are the only one who can find everything, but most of us cannot. And that's always an issue of the [knowledge]

management where you have to get back from another thing or we'll have another call, because that's also a lot – what's happening on the ITI issues, and Confluence is always a big, main issue for us.

But I know we ran over time already. Does anyone have any quick comments to ask Mark or comments on other items? Please let me know.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: A quick question from me. When's our next TTF call?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. So, well, first of all, we might have a special-purpose call to deal with the LACRALO translation, but I'm looking at a call in February. Mark, does that work well in your system to have a call mid-February?

MARK SEGALL: Yes. No problem for me.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. That'll be great. And Monday's a good time for you?

MARK SEGALL: Yes, Mondays are actually very ideal. Typically, for whatever reason, I think people don't do meetings on Mondays most times, and then they set them all up on Mondays for the rest of the week.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Oh, great. Okay, so if that works well, probably stick to – since this seems to be a very good time for most people, [as we] found out on our Doodle poll, that we'll stick to this time, and so I'll work to set up a time in February for our call.

But thanks so much everyone for the time, and sorry for going over a little bit on time. Yes, and Glenn, we will work to try to map how TTF is mapped to the At-Large review solutions. We had some discussion of that in the At-Large review, but we'll have that discussion later on the list, because right now, we are over time, and so that we need to focus on – we want to make sure that we stick to that time, because we tell people it was only going to be an hour call.

But thanks so much for joining our call and for all your contributions, and keep going, and we'll prepare an action item for the next call, and that way, we could make sure that we get all these items looked into. But thanks so much for joining the call, and I look forward to seeing you online or in other areas. Bye for now.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thanks, everyone. Thanks, Mark.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, everyone. Take care all.

MARK SEGALL: Thank you, everybody.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you all. This meeting is now ended. Have a lovely rest of the day.
bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]