

YESIM NAZLAR:

I'll go ahead with the roll call. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Capacity Building Working Group calls taking place on Wednesday, 9th of January 2019 at 15:00 UTC.

On our call today, on the English channel, we have Tijani Ben Jemaa, Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Daniel Nanghaka, Remmy Nweke, Jasper Mangwana, Abdulkarim Oloyede, Anne-Marie Joly, Joanna Kulesza, Priyatosh Jana, Robert Jacobi, Vanda Scartezini, Ejikeme Egbougu, Jahangir Hossain, Alfredo Calderon, Isaac Maposa, Glenn McKnight, and Lilian Ivette De Luque.

I'm looking at the Spanish channel, and we have Harold Arcos, Alexis Anteliz, and Maritza Aguero present on the Spanish channel, and on the French channel, we have Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong.

We have received apologies from Marita Moll, Ricardo Holmquist, Abdalmonem Galila, Amal Ramzi Al-saqqaf, Lianna Galstyan, and from Bram Fudzulani.

And from staff side, we have Gisella Gruber, Evin Erdoğan, Siranush Vardanyan, Adam Peake, and myself, Yesim Nazlar. I will be managing today's call as well. And we'll have Spanish and French interpretation for today's call. Our Spanish interpreters are Veronica and David, and our French interpreters are Claire and Camila.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

I just would like to add that from staff's side, we have Heidi Ullrich and Deborah Escalera present on the call as well. Apologies for missing the two names. And before we start, I would like to remind everyone to state your names before speaking, not only for the transcription but also for the interpretation purposes as well, please. And now, I would like to leave the floor back to you, Tijani. Thank you very much.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Yesim. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, everyone. This is the January call of the Capacity Building Working Group. This call is always dedicated to evaluate or assess the program of the previous year and to plan for the current year.

First of all, you have the agenda on the Adobe Connect. Do you agree with it? Is there anything to there, anything to change? I don't see any hand, I don't hear anyone speaking, so I will consider that the agenda is adopted.

You may see on the agenda that today, we will start by making a small assessment of the program of 2018, and then we will go and plan for this year. And this year precisely, we have an At-Large draft capacity building strategy prepared by Joanna and some other people. We'll give her the floor so that she explain the strategy, and we will spend the majority of the time discussing this new draft of strategy. And then we'll go to the selection of the new chair.

As I told you last year, as I proposed last year, each year, we should open the window of the chair of the working group so that people can volunteer and we will have always new people who can jump in. Of

---

course, I don't mean that each year we need a new chair, but it shouldn't be a perpetuate chair for the working groups. I don't believe in perpetuate leader.

So coming back now to the item number three, which is the introduction, so I think I made the introduction. Going to the item number four, assessment of 2018 program. Let me give the floor to Evin Erdogan who will make a presentation about the evaluation tools we are using. Evin?

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Thank you, Tijani. I must admit I didn't know I was going to be presenting today, but I'll give a brief summary on the 2018 webinar analysis that the support staff have collected. The webinars from last year, they compiled survey results.

So if we go to the first slide, we had results available from seven out of 11 of the webinars given this year, and they're listed on the screen. There were several unavailable webinars because of technical issues which are listed on the slides, primarily having to do with the new interface that was temporarily used, WebEx. So we have the results for the available webinars, most of them. If we could go to the next slide, please.

Thank you. So the first webinar was from the 24th of January. It was on data protection, what you need to know as end users about GDPR, and the timing of the webinar as well as the technologies for the webinar had very high ratings, as well as speakers demonstrating mastery of the topic and overall high satisfaction. Next slide, please.

---

I guess I can move the slides myself, actually. I'll just do that. So, the second slide showed then which regions do individuals come from [inaudible] so there was a good representation overall. On this presentation as well, certain topics were suggested for future webinars, those being GDPR for non-EU companies, GDPR in general, the role of Internet users and the [inaudible] ccTLDs, and then also someone requesting that the subject be repeated and emphasized.

The second webinar that we have results for was the 9th of May, and this was on new gTLD applications, specifically work track one and three, and for this one – and this was an overall pattern for all of the webinars – the 21:00 UTC timing was found to be a little late for most participants. Overall, the 13:00 UTC time was more favorable across the board. No one said that that timing, 13:00 UTC, was too late.

Technology was acceptable, speakers as well were very well-received as well as the overall webinar itself. And again, similar breakup for the regions represented and experience in the community. And at the end of the presentation, there'll be some observations suggested on these results. There were no suggested topics.

Similar on the 13 June webinar on the KSK rollover, the 21:00 timing was seen as a little late, but okay, and the speakers again were very highly rated as well as the webinar itself. This one was more highly representative of the Africa region, I believe. Hold on, let me zoom in to confirm that. Yes. So overall, AFRALO and LACRALO had a good participation of the webinar of those that participated in the survey.

---

Then the 20 September webinar, contractual compliance and consumer rights safeguards, we had speakers from the community as well as from ICANN staff. Again, the timing was seen as a little bit late, but overall, the webinar was very well-received.

And moving on to the 11th of October, on ccTLDs, assigning country code delegation and retirement of ccTLDs, the timing of the webinar was seen as 100% perfect, which was 13:30 UTC. This was the only webinar at 13:30 UTC, I believe. The technology was highly rated, satisfaction was high, but to note there were not so many participants in this survey. So it wasn't a wide standpoint, but still very highly-rated. And for this, there were two suggestions, on security and open data for next topics.

19th of November, similarly with the 13:00 UTC webinars, it was a favorable timing. Technology and speakers and the overall webinar were very well-received, and similar breakdown for experience and regions. This one had suggestion on topics including WHOIS and impact to GDPR again, digital divide and indigenous people, as well as the new technology and technical topics in general, including blockchain.

On the 12th of December, there was a webinar on ICANN jurisdiction, and this was as good time again, 13:00 UTC, and they were very well pleased with the speaker as well, it was Tatiana Tropina, and this had more experienced ICANN community members, and they suggested several topics for future webinars including cybersecurity, effects of legislation, a work track five in geo names and the EPDP.

---

So this then comes to the conclusion as well, observations and suggestions. As noted, 21:00 UTC is somewhat of an unfavorable time. Most participants found it a bit late. 13:00 UTC was favorable. No one thought it was too late, and most noted it was a good time.

Consequentially, there were more participants and survey participation for the 13:00 UTC time. And the best representation from the RALOs were from the AFRALO and LACRALO region. More technical topics such as the KSK rollover and ccTLDs had more experienced ICANN participants, generally ICANN participants with over five years of experience. There were not as many newcomers, less experienced ICANN participants, which would be more like under five years or less.

So some recommendations maybe for the group, just maybe consider maybe to more 13:00 UTC times, as well as encouraging participation in the survey perhaps during the webinar itself. I know that it's noted during the webinar, but maybe multiple times would be recommended. Also, maybe writing a note on the invitation that are sent out for the webinar promoting the survey. Then possibly cross-promoting on other lists, including GNSO, ccNSO, etc., and consider greater involvement of ALSes, social media reps and promotion of the Capacity Building Working Group webinars.

And also on the universal acceptance webinar, the eBooks were a very popular result that the community used to share the presentation, so maybe that could be implemented for other webinars going forward. So that's the conclusion of the presentation. Thank you very much, Tijani, and I'll turn it over back to you. Thank you.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Evin. So this was the evaluation and the recommendations from this evaluation tool. Is there any remark, any question about that? Yes, Cheryl, please.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Tijani. I've got several comments, but do please leave it on this last recommendation slide while I make them. I've put it in the chat regarding the 13:00 UTC time, I suspect if we did an analysis between the overwhelming support for that particular time and how many people from APAC that aren't Maureen or perhaps someone from the Armenian, i.e. Europe time zone attending, it might be interesting data. But there you go.

I think a fixed singular time for any activity in ICANN, particularly for At-Large, if you're going to consider it, I would suggest you consider it extremely cautiously. Variability in time zone is one of the banes in our existence. It took us a long time to get important and essential meetings on rotating time zones throughout ICANN, and At-Large was the place that that really did start, just by the way. And so to go the prehistoric days, I would caution you to consider very carefully. But do as you will.

On the consideration of encouraging participation in surveys multiple times, that is in fact a useful tool done in a number of sales pitch webinars. There's a bunch of ways you can do it, but short and sweet and carefully managed, and there's a whole lot of schools of thought on what the best way is, and we can discuss that separately.

---

Regarding the participation survey, etc., I suspect that we'd probably be better doing some of our surveying almost separately as a follow-on to the valuable time people are spending on their capacity building webinars, so perhaps you might want to look at not only on call invitations but in follow-up as well.

The specificity and the promotion, that makes perfect sense to me. Getting the ALSes, etc., obviously is a good idea, but you will find it will be very regionally variable there, and making eBooks available is a great idea as well.

Regarding getting the ALSes, etc., involved, you probably, particularly if you're challenged with a fixed time zone issue, may want to think outside the box and consider fractionating your offerings totally so that what you have are regionally-based, regionally time suitable and probably even regionally language-appropriate offerings for a number of the topics. And that's it from me at this stage. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Cheryl. Thank you very much. Regarding the timing, I agree with you, and I would propose that in the future, we duplicate the webinar. We do it twice, one at the 13:00 and then repeat it at 21:00 so that we don't penalize any region and so that we have the most participants for this topic, for this webinar. Thank you very much.

Any other comments?

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE:

Hello Tijani. Yes. [inaudible] comment?



---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, please. Go ahead. Who is speaking?

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: This is Abdulkarim for the record.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Go ahead.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Yeah. I just want to ask about the survey that was taken after each of the webinar, because I know a lot of times, some of us – can you hear me? I know that a lot of times [inaudible] webinar where the phone bridge, but will be better if the survey can also be sent after the calls to participants that are actually attending via the phone bridge. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. I am really sorry, I didn't understand your name, I didn't understand what you said because of the quality of the line. So if someone understood what he said and know who was speaking, please tell me. Otherwise, perhaps we can try to call him back, call him again and try to find a better line so that we understand what he said.

---

YESIM NAZLAR: Tijani, if I may, that was Abdulkarim Oloyede speaking. Unfortunately, yes, we had bad line for him. We can retry his line, but Cheryl wanted to speak. Maybe she was able to get what he said.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, please, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. I understood what he said perfectly well, and that the key thing – and it was particularly focused on those attendees who were only able to join via the phone bridge, but I think I'd embellish what he was saying about the survey being sent separate to send it after such a webinar, which allows people on the phone bridge to also interact and give you feedback from the survey. I just think that's smart regardless of how you've joined, and it saves taking time during the webinar time itself. So he was suggesting that segregation of surveying. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you very much. Thank you for that. Any other comment? I don't see any hand, I don't hear anyone speaking, so if this is all as comments, we will go to the main point of this [inaudible].

YESIM NAZLAR: Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, please.

---

YESIM NAZLAR: Apologies for interrupting. Fatimata's hand is up. She just raised her hand.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Fatimata, go ahead, please. Sorry, I didn't see your hand. Fatimata? Star seven to unmute. Star seven, please.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Can you hear me? Hello?

YESIM NAZLAR: Fatimata, you have to increase the volume of your microphone, please. Your line is very faint.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: [inaudible].

YESIM NAZLAR: No, unfortunately. Let me try to dial out to you if you like, or maybe you would like to –

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I am hearing something from her.

---

YESIM NAZLAR: Yes, but are you able to understand her?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay. [inaudible].

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Fatimata?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Yes? Can you hear me?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Can you speak loudly, please? Because we don't hear you.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Can you hear me? I'm shouting now.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Little bit better, but still very low.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Still very low?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, go ahead now, please.

---

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay. I have a [burning] question about the number of participants. We have an average number of participants in a webinar.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, Fatimata, it's not only low, it's also disconnected. How to say, it's [inaudible] if you want.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: [inaudible] hear me well.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: We don't understand you.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay, let me type it.

YESIM NAZLAR: Fatimata, Adigo is dialing out to you shortly. And meanwhile, you might wish to type what you would like to say. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, so we think for Fatimata, we will go, no problem. When Fatimata will be ready, we will take her, but we will go to the item number five of the agenda, which is about the strategy that was prepared by Joanna, and I will give the floor to Joanna immediately so that she presents the strategy. Joanna, please.

---

JOANNA KULESZA: Thank you very much, Tijani. I'm just checking my audio. Can you guys hear me?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, very good.

JOANNA KULESZA: Wonderful. Brilliant. Thank you. Thank you again for having me, thank you for devoting the time to present this draft document. Following encouragement and suggestions from Daniel, I shared the document beforehand. I see it is enjoying quite a lot of attention. We have right now 15 people commenting on it.

I am going to try and describe the basic point that I concluded in the document, but please kindly consider this discussion document draft that anyone can look into, comment on. The more feedback we get, the more objective the results will be.

My initial take on this task was to try and identify the aims we are trying to achieve in the coming year. I believe from my relatively short experience with At-Large that there is an enhanced need for coherence. We would like to have strategy that is being well communicated to the community itself. So in terms of speaking coherence among the aims and the purposes we are trying to achieve, I believe this document might be helpful in attending to that need.

---

I also understand that there is a need for enhanced mobilization from the community. We would like each member to feel a part of the community and support its aims and purposes. That is also one of the goals I was trying to identify.

If you look into the document – I'm not sure if it's being shared in the AC room. Yes, right, exactly. So those would be the aims that you can see here. We've had a lot of attention devoted to the document already. If you will look into the Google doc, you will see that roughly two first pages have been already filled with contributions coming from various community members, which is wonderful. But as I already said, I'm referring here to the basic, fundamental draft that I initially shared.

I was trying to answer specific questions. First, what is representing users all about? Second, how do we make sure that the awareness of end users is increased within ICANN and beyond the community within Internet governance? I've put in here a few comments I've heard from the community leaders who have been involved in this area already. You can see here for example that Jonathan, during one of our previous calls, mentioned we need to make sure that whatever happens within At-Large is well-coordinated with ICANN Org. I'm happy to see Adam and Siranush here among the staff members, and I'm certain this is a pertaining element of the outreach strategy that At-Large has been devoted to.

So [inaudible] three fundamental elements, but as you can see here, we had already some input coming from Daniel and other community members on the aims we are trying to achieve.

---

Then if you were to look into the document scrolling down – I believe it's Yesim who's doing the scrolling, if you could just scroll down – believe there's a need to identify the specific language. Each member should address when looking into our outreach and engagement activities. I've got four points here that I think might be helpful to try and identify where we stand and where we want to move forward. But again, this is open for discussion.

I believe that the strength that At-Large might want to play to its benefit is the fact that it represents all end users, commercial and noncommercial, which is unique in the environment. We are the place where consensus between the commercial interest and the noncommercial interest can be sought. So we represent individuals and corporate members. Again, a wonderful opportunity to seek consensus, and I think this is one of the strengths that can be communicated to the community and that we could use in individual group communication.

The second point – and I believe we might be [inaudible] – would be – as I'm trying to scroll through the points that you can see here – yes, I think that's what you see here on the slide. So the second point would be that because of its complex nature, At-Large offers the broadest and the most versatile consensus-seeking platform within ICANN. I believe this is a huge strength that we might be using, inviting everyone who feels they don't really know their specific location within ICANN, At-Large would be the place for them.

Having participated in the discussions and the Barcelona meeting within At-Large and within ALAC, I believe it welcomes diverse views, so even though we might differ on specifics, we are driven by consensus-finding



---

and a very pragmatic, practical solution-seeking agenda. And I think that is also one of the strengths we might want to be emphasizing, we seek pragmatic solutions for diverse use [in our] diverse interests.

And then an element that has already been widely advertised but I believe it's never enough to mention this again, we work in five languages, we span across regions, and this regional approach is also one of the things we might want to be emphasizing and building upon, because we work in the regions and local languages within local cultures. If any of the At-Large members don't feel comfortable working at the global level because of whatever reason, cultural, language issues, travel issues, they are more than welcome to work locally, building up the ALSes.

So those would be the four key points I had for the policy and strategy focus in the coming years. I believe that thus far, they have been amended by two additional points. You are more than welcome to try and develop those four speaking points, four very succinct elements that you will find in the strategy.

Thanks to Olivier, I [inaudible] comment on what EURALO calls hot topics, and I already know from Daniel that this is a pertaining line of policy-building across the region, but working on the European hot topics for 2019, I believe some of those are universal and could be used for the entire At-Large community. Again, I'm more than happy to listen in on the specific issues that are being discussed within regions.

For me, I have here again five points that I think we might want to be addressing as At-Large in a coherent manner. I understand this is also

---

part of our policy-building. We might want to make sure that the policy reflects those points.

So just to be very brief, I have five points here. I think what is unique to At-Large is the question of accessibility in all shapes and forms. I know that here's an accessibility working group already operating. If we might want to increase its visibility, there is a way in which we could support the work its doing, I think that accessibility could be one of the unique and main points that we might want to target in the coming years.

From the European perspective, the European Commission has now –

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible]

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yesim, can you please mute his line?

YESIM NAZLAR: Sure.

JOANNA KULESZA: Thank you so much. I thought it was a question coming. Alright. So I'll just continue. So I think accessibility could be one of the unique points that At-Large might want to address. Again, I'm looking forward to feedback. I've had wonderful conversations with some of the community members, I've been talking for example to Jonathan about

---

changing business models when it comes to the domain name market, but also when it comes for example to copyright.

There is a lot of discussion of impact that the copyright community has within ICANN. I know it's a contentious topic, but it is out there, and avoiding the elephant in the room probably won't solve that problem. So if we do have a policy line that we might want to pursue, we might as well try and address the issue of changing business models within the IG community. That's another point that I've put on the agenda.

I know that the third point deals somewhat with content regulation, which I know is a no-no, it's the picket fence that we have for ICANN. When it comes to content control, ICANN does not wish to get involved. But because of the way that the network works, because of new measures targeting for example fake news, disinformation, we are seeing new tools which impact the way that the DNS operates, and are targeting issues that come with controlling content.

The point that I have put in here deals with all of the hot issues that you will find in all the debate, which is algorithms, AI, fake news and contractual compliance. I know that we have a session planned for Kobe that deals with contractual compliance. If we want to [toss] that hot topic onto the table, I'm sure it would increase outreach, it would get more people interested in the work that we are doing, but I do understand this might be contentious, so I'm just putting it on the table. Happy to hear your thoughts on this.

And then [two sure shots,] what I believe to be topics that most view as valid, I would not focus on privacy so much. I would focus on the

---

balance between privacy and security. We've seen this with the EPDP process. privacy is a big issue, but the flipside of that has always been security, and I don't think there's a better place to discuss this than At-Large where we get those various interests that I mentioned at the beginning well represented.

So if we want to put privacy versus security and seeking the balance on those issues, that would also be something that I put into the document. and then I understand that there has been a lot of work done on jurisdiction. I'm not sure it's a hot topic this year, but we might want to be building upon what already has been achieved when it comes to ICANN's jurisdiction. Nobody really knows what that is and where you want to draw the line with contractual compliance, so I think it is a pertaining topic.

In that sense, I have the five points here that I think we might want to focus on, but I'm happy to hear your comments on what other issues might be out there. And this is the general part, and then I have a more specific, more pragmatic part. The pragmatic part deals in ways in which we might want to do this.

Now, I'm not a Facebook fan and I'm not a Facebook user. I apologize, I know we have people here in the group who have already commented, and I'm all happy about you guys providing your expertise on how to best do that. The little advice that I have here or the suggestions that I have here deal with Twitter, which I do use. I suggest we use those tools more effectively. If you are on Twitter, if you are on Facebook, please support the outreach that is being done.

---

In the list, you will find handles of individual users that I've been able to identify. I know they are [inaudible] I know they are involved with the community. So my suggestion, very pragmatic, very practical, and I know John Laprise has been working on Twitter and Facebook as well, it's to [inaudible] try to post as much as you can. I suggest if you might want to go for for example five messages or five tweets per day during the meeting, which increases their visibility. Once we know what we're working on, we might also want to use social media to give presence to those discussions that we are having.

I know that the review for At-Large indicated that we need volunteers for the Wiki pages. Again, as a newcomer, I'm not as well-acquainted with the Wiki as I could be, but if there are volunteers out there willing to work with the Wiki, I think that is something we might use as well. one thing that I have learned is that it is well-perceived, that it is functional, it works well to report your event, so if you know of an event that is going on that is being organized or where an At-Large member participates, you might want to make sure that this gets advertised through social media.

And Daniel, I'm sure his hand is up, and I can see it. I'm just closing up, and I'll be happy to leave as much of the time to the questions coming from other participants if I can. I know Daniel has been involved in making sure that all the events get sufficient reporting and get sufficient outreach.

Glenn has been wonderful with the photos. I just tagged it here in the document. If you do have any suggestions, Glenn, on how to best develop and build on that research that we have, that is also something

---

that would be perfect for whatever document comes out of this discussion that I'm trying to initiate.

I've been trying to promote Glenn's eBook library. I think it's a wonderful idea. If anyone who's on Twitter, Facebook or anything else wishes to promote it as well, I'm happy to tag you or Tweet you or whatever you might need me to do.

And finally, the last idea I've gotten from Maureen, and I really like it. As you might be aware, I enjoy talking – and I hope I've not taken too long – I would be happy to make sure that anyone who's kind of lost within ICANN or lost within the community has a place to come to and try and find their way, try to get more involved.

Maureen [posed] the idea of a session that is devoted to those disgruntled with the processes where we target those ideas and we try to help them the best we can. I think it's a wonderful idea. I'm not sure I personally know enough to start it just now, but I would be happy to take on a challenge and try to make At-Large the point of discussion where anyone who's not really happy with what is going on can come to and have a patient ear listening to their complaints and trying to find solution, or at least direction to a place where those problems can be addressed.

That's my two pages, that's me being as brief as I can. I can see two hands, and I'm happy to hand over to Tijani to address the questions or issues that I might have missed or that should be addressed. Thank you very much.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Joanna. Thank you for this wonderful work. We have two hands now. Daniel first. Daniel, go ahead.

DANIEL NGHAKA: Hope I can be heard loud and clear. First and foremost, I'd like to thank Joanna and team for the good work regarding to coming up with this respective document, but also to just reiterate something about coming from the outreach and engagement side. When it comes to outreach and capacity building, there are two things in capacity building. Preaching the gospel to the already new people who do not know, who are trying to understand what At-Large is, and then there are the already converted disciples who already understand all these things, so these people need some kind of like refresher courses.

If you look at – I think it's either the first page or the second page of this strategy whereby it looks like a kind of organogram here, we're looking at three key things. That is the At-Large community onboarding program, that is aiming at building the capacity of newcomers, and then there's also the policy development program. So those who would want to understand more of the policy, they can get their capacity built or their knowledge to be understood, or to enhance on their knowledge and their skills regarding to policy development.

Then there's another section of the community trainings under the skill development. And then from [inaudible] by looking at already the leadership, because also the leadership capacity has to be built, and then also [inaudible] other program which is the chairing skills program. So all those [inaudible] all aiming at building capacity.

---

When you come to the issue of knowledge and policy development, that's where we're going to have issues, things like the webinars, ICANN Learn, [inaudible] it's also meant to be on this organogram as different channels on different tools on how capacity building can be done.

We know very well that webinars is really a great tool, but we need to come up with more innovative approaches on how we can be able to enhance the webinar attendance, how can we get the best benefit out of the respective webinars. If the webinar can't be created, is there something that someone new who wants to understand something can achieve? Especially when they go through the ICANN Learn courses.

Allow me to just simply reiterate on the issue of the hot topics. Hot topics is an initiative that [inaudible] approach from every respective RALO which came up with [inaudible] topics. But then still, some of these topics are cross-cutting. Again, it's all regions. If I refer back to the Barcelona meeting, there was an action item about consolidation of the hot topics, but due to the new kind of organization that we are picking up within At-Large, we're going to see how can we be able to enhance the capacity of the members based on the previous recommendations.

If we have all this information cluttered, there is no clear demarcation of what outreach is and what capacity building is and how are we getting the users to be engaged. And I think that's where I would come into this capacity building implementation strategy or the capacity building development strategy.

And one thing that I'm looking forward to, I'm looking at closer collaboration, cooperation to enhance capacity building within the



---

different respective working groups. For example, we have seen social media coming in, but what is the impact of social media as far as capacity building? And I will begin to have that kind of discussion and how social media affected the policy development process within ICANN and how [inaudible] contributed to all this.

Now, this begins to give us [key strength.] If there is a newcomer onboarding program, how is a newcomer onboarding program contributing to capacity development of the newcomers to be able to contribute to these respective PDPs? And this is the same thing that we want to achieve with all these. Let me turn it back to you, Tijani, with those [inaudible]. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Daniel. Next is Fatimata, and Fatimata, if you want to speak about the previous issue, yes, please, and then add your contribution for this particular strategy. Fatimata. We don't hear you. Fatimata?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:

Hello. Yes.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, we hear you. You have an echo.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:

Is it better?

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It's better. No, you have an echo.

YESIM NAZLAR: Fatimata, you have to mute your laptop or your computer.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: [inaudible] Hello? I can hear you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, now it's okay.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay. My previous question, I wrote in the chat. It was about the number of participants in the webinars, because for me, it's a good indicator, because we're suggesting new strategies for the capacity building, and I think this is one of the major issues we have, and here in the presentation of the evaluation of the assessment, we don't have it. And I [inaudible] asking the question. If the number is high, I think we don't have an issue here. But if it's not, I think we need to move forward. So that's the question I had. And I also wanted to say that I suggested duplicating the webinars, but it's taken into account, so no need to talk about that here.

Now, regarding the new strategy, I was also [inaudible] in the draft that when people sign up to participate in a webinar session, we should maybe think about a way of having them make that commitment. If

---

that's something [inaudible] for them, they have at least to explain why they're not attending these, the webinar sessions after signing up.

My fourth point is about language. I think we really need to work with tools that take into account our different languages. I think that's all I have to say. And in terms of using social media, in Africa, WhatsApp is widely used. [That's the tool that] is really widely – Facebook, yes, but WhatsApp more. So I don't know how we can adjust it, how we can make it work better for us, and I think it'll be very important to use it so that more youth can use it [inaudible]. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Okay, Fatimata. Thank you very much. So I put my hand on. I am just behind Harold. So the next one is Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you, Tijani. I've just gone through and made comments – someone needs to mute – and replies to a number of the existing comments in the document. Delighted to see it in a Google doc. I found it a little frustrating when I read the earlier one only in Word, which of course is even more annoying because I don't use Microsoft products, so I've got to transfer them anyway.

But all that aside, there's a lot in the Gdoc now, and I think a lot of what is being said here is being echoed in the Gdoc as well, so I'm delighted to see this strategy doc starting to get operationalized and in use. So thank you, Joanna, for that.

---

I am, however, concerned – not complimentary – about the hot topics. Just further on to what Daniel has said – and I must say I come in in absolute support to literally everything he said, so everything Daniel said, just ditto with CLO next to it. The hot topics are very variable across the regions, and one of the reasons that the recent survey request for each region to do hot topics reviews is to see where there are unifying ones or cross-regional or pan-regional ones. And once that information is in, I think that in itself will lead us to appropriate topics that may be suitable for capacity development but could very well be rather more suitable for working in a specific in-service training or in ongoing development of not new and staffing At-Large members in the ICANN world but the experienced and even incredibly moldy-oldy people like me, be they refresher or otherwise.

Regardless of where we get those from and what they're about, please make sure, if we can – no, let me just take that back. No “if we can.” I strongly suggest you would be wise to – that’s me being a little bit more forceful, I can do an upscale from that if need be – keep the topics clearly and unambiguously in line with ICANN’s mission. We had an enormous amount of work going into stopping mission creep for ICANN, and indeed for its component parts during the cross-community working group work that took many years of several of our lives. People will use that as a benchmark when they look at what we are doing, and so whilst I'm not saying yay or nay to any topics, hot or otherwise, I'm saying make sure if you're doing a topic for capacity building that it is not just, as I think you used the term, picket fence but that’s very specific within a domain name concept, Joanna, but within ICANN’s core mission. So you did go on in your original document with one of my

---

particularly important issues, and that's accessibility. But accessibility in general has no place in our work. The ability to have access to how ICANN works does. Just the same – so there's different ways of doing these things, and that's a comment I'd also suggest goes for what you recognized as potentially contentious topics when we get towards content. So keep it within mission must be one of your highest priorities. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Cheryl. Next one is Harold. Oh, Harold, where are you? Is Harold disconnected, Yesim?

YESIM NAZLAR: Tijani, Harold is on the Spanish channel.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I don't see him on the Adobe Connect. So if he's available, Harold, please speak.

HAROLD ARCOS: Can you hear me now?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, I can.

---

HAROLD ARCOS:

Thank you very much. I would like to make a comment on the strategy, the one that we have on the document. The comment by my colleagues are important. We have to take into account the use of the team that we have. We have many members here on the call. We have members on the Social Media Working Group.

One of the most important documents to make people participate and to involve people with specific knowledge is to develop kind of capsules for people to be able to understand topics. On many occasions, the webinar, even though it might be short and brief and well-documented, the average user find it difficult because there is plenty of historic information and specific information, and sometimes, this information is not easy to digest for these users.

So if we for example use a different information that we post on the social media, we might make people to be involved, and perhaps it might be easier for them to be able to understand the explanations that we can provide on the topics. So I believe that it is really important for users, even for users that are already involved in ICANN ecosystem, to be able to have information on the different feeds or on the different pieces of information.

And just to finish with my comment, when we speak about for example GDPR, I know that there are people who have no clue about WHOIS or they have no clue about the change that we are trying to do in terms of GDPR and WHOIS, so there are certain things, certain information that they don't manage at the ICANN level. So perhaps a GDPR webinar is not enough for them. Thank you.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Harold. Now it is my turn. So thank you very much, Joanna, for this draft strategy. I really appreciate the work you did, and I encourage you to continue and to improve it according to the comments that are made here.

My own comments are the following. First of all, I have the feeling that we are confusing capacity building and outreach and engagement. Those are two different things. We have Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement, and we have a working group for capacity building. So those are two different things.

My impression is that we are putting everything in this strategy. We are putting content, we are putting – even accessibility have been included in it, and we have putting things of outreach which are not, in my point of view, part of the capacity building. Capacity building for me is giving the community information and knowledge. The whole community. Means that we may make capacity building for beginners and we may give capacity building for experienced people.

So this is, in my point of view, the capacity building. That's why I say perhaps here we are putting things that shouldn't be included in capacity building. Anything concerning the content, means the topics to be covered or to the content of the capacity building, this is something that is defined yearly by the community, by you, and it cannot be in the strategy. But when you put topics, when you put content, it is not strategy, it is implementation. It's not implementation, it is operating, if you want. It's something that you'll execute. That's why I advise you not

---

to put content inside the strategy, and to try to concentrate on giving information and knowledge to the community. This is my first comment, and again, thank you very much. Thank you, because what you are doing is something very important. We don't have a lot of people who are putting on paper, who are writing what they think, so it's very good, and thank you, and the contribution of the community will for sure improve this document. Thank you.

So now, next is Alberto Soto.

ALBERTO SOTO: Hello. Can you hear me?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, we can hear you.

ALBERTO SOTO: Tijani, I fully agree with your comment. Everything is mixed up, and sometimes we have a gray area. When it comes to Cheryl's comment – and I believe it is also Olivier's comment – we know there are differences in the regions, they have different needs, and that is very important to take into account.

Now, when it comes to outreach – and I'm not mixing this up with capacity building – I believe this has to do with the RALOs and the ALSes. For example, if we had enough time – I don't know the period of time, but if we may have the topic of the webinar and the date of the webinar for example, each ALS or RALO may be able to go to



---

universities or different groups to invite them to participate in these webinars, and we can reach the end user in this way.

But this is only possible if we have a prior knowledge about the topic. In that case, each ALS or each RALO may be able to provide internal training for the members to be aware and involved with the topics. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Alberto. Next is Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you, Tijani. And I did put it in the chat, but it does need to go to the audio channels as well. and I think we need to take a step back. This document Joanna has penned as a straw-person – not her, the document – little joke here at 3:00 AM in the morning from me, thank you – the reason that was instigated was out of our outreach and engagement meeting where the discussion was that capacity building program as she has been running needs to be refreshed, reviewed, renewed and overhauled in pretty much At-Large ways, shapes and forms to pick up – not the least of what Alberto just said for the regional variability of needs, etc., but a whole lot of other things as well, and that under Maureen – and she's soon to be after me, so she'll undoubtedly speak for herself here, but under the organogram that you've all drunk the Kool-Aid on, all agreed to, the new structure and function of how Team At-Large – not just Team ALAC but Team At-Large – will be going forward, sees that outreach and engagement is an umbrella and the subcommittee, which is an ALAC subcommittee so has a higher order

---

of – pecking order for the want of a better word – of overarching responsibilities, and sustainability thinking is there, and that capacity building needs to come in as a clear subset in that overarching area so that the differentiation you quite rightly made on what is capacity building, what is outreach and engagement, is not lost. In fact, it's enhanced, but that rather than have this fun little group as a working group – and please do all remember that, particularly as a result of our recent review, we need to reduce drastically and rationalize all of our plethora of working groups so that this working group can become a subset of – not change very much in what it does, but is then a subset of our outreach and engagement plan under the new organogram.

So not disagreeing with what you say on the differentiation, but wanted to make sure everyone in this group who are not necessarily part of the existing Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee recognize that our work in this existing working group needs to be brought in as part of a new think and coordinated strategic way forward. And I'm sure both Daniel and Mureen will correct me where I'm wrong. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Cheryl. Before I go to Natalia, Yesim, you have your hand up.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you very much.

NATALIA FILINA: Hello, everyone. Hello, can you hear me?

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Moment, Natalie. A moment, please. Yesim, go ahead.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, Tijani. So I see a question and a comment in the AC chat from Alfredo Calderon. I would like to read that out. Alfredo says, "So, Tijani, capacity building should be addressed to what audience? Outreach and engagement should work on face-to-face and newcomers. Thank you."

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. So, Natalia, please go ahead.

NATALIA FILINA: Hello, everyone, again. Can you hear me?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes.

NATALIA FILINA: Okay. I will be briefly. At first, I'm very grateful for the proposal you draft and invitation to participate in this work. Joanna, thank you so much for the excellent draft. And I added a few thoughts to Joanna's paper. Cheryl, [colleagues,] just thank you very much for supporting some of my ideas. Please excuse me in advance if I'm wrong in something. I'm still a beginner, you know.

---

At first, I wanted to say that I totally agree with you, Tijani, that the work of involvement in capacity building, outreach and engagement is different things, but have many intersections. We can create a certain [team] or plan so that there are no duplicates on the function in our work and the [inaudible] made more effective by combining some parts. That's my suggestion.

And briefly about my edit to the draft, [at first one,] I think we need a little bureaucracy. We must [to use the effect] of the capacity building work, we need to understand the quality and count of our community. We must a count of heads to understanding the ways of the capacity building more effective work.

Of course, we need feedback from members of the community about maybe problems, questions, issues, and we need to know about positive achievements from our members. And I think the active work of the community leaders – [and we] may use – I'm sorry for this word – leaders for the major [outbound] activities. It's impossible to overestimate the importance of personal attention and participating in any major activities and assisting in the process of immersion and knowledge and [skills building.]

And second one, I wanted to [add the things] that it's necessary to give priority opportunities to excited members of our community. It's about trainings, invitation to participate in different events, and because our members, as we can understand it, home computers are a little bit less useful than active members as the core of different events. And thank you very much for your attention.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Natalia. You are a newcomer, yes, but you are an excellent newcomer. Thank you very much.

NATALIA FILINA: Thank you very much.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: We are 12 minutes behind our time, and we still have an important point on the agenda, so Jasper, I will give you the floor for very short intervention, please. And we still have the chair to speak. Go ahead, please. But very short.

JASPER MANGWANA: [inaudible] I'm very excited to be part of this group, and I'm happy with what Joanna has done, but [inaudible] put a contribution maybe to –

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I don't hear you, so I give the floor to Maureen. Maureen, please go ahead.

JASPER MANGWANA: [inaudible]. Hello?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry, Tijani, I could hear Jasper.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I can't hear you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes. Sorry. Can you hear me, Tijnai?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, I can. Yes, I hear you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I could hear Jasper. He was faint, but he was actually making a point there. Perhaps if we can get a better line for him. But I don't want to actually take up too much time, because there's been some excellent discussion here. I just wanted to point out just from my perspective about how I sort of see the role of the capacity building program within the scheme of things.

If we have a look at my original organogram, if people have actually seen it, the structure of At-Large has broken up into three core streams as such. One of the most important one, of course, is policy, the policy input that we have. The second one is outreach and engagement. Now, these are in the bylaws and they're identified in the bylaws as two of our roles. And the third one for me is the organizational one, which is really to facilitate the way in which we do things within At-Large and to try and make sure that the systems are effective and efficient and that we're all helping each other to do things better, hopefully.

---

So the stream that we're actually working within – and I take the point of many people who raised it in the chat – is that capacity building is a subgroup of the outreach and engagement stream that is part of the At-Large structure. And as it has been pointed out, the outreach and engagement is the umbrella group. It is the coordinating and strategic management side of making sure that everything that relates to outreach and engagement fits in with the strategy that has actually been set for outreach and engagement.

But at the same time, as Joanna has very ably pointed out in her document, is that there are within each of those subgroups, capacity building, we've got social media, there's the real time transcription, which we're also – there are ways in which we can make it more effective and efficient in how we present At-Large to our community. And I think that this is the most important thing.

So I have to disagree with Tijani in that they are different components, but it's the same thing. Capacity building is important to outreach and engagement. If we don't have capacity, if we don't have the resources and the tools and the things that are actually going to enhance the capacity of our community and engage them into what it is that we're doing, I don't think we're doing our work properly. But it all comes under the umbrella of outreach and engagement. I'll leave it there, because I think there's been some great discussion already. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Maureen. Thank you. You are not disagreeing with me. I didn't say [inaudible]. I said only that the capacity building,

---

which is a part of the outreach and engagement, is giving information and knowledge to the community. We don't have to include other things of outreach inside the capacity building. That's all I said. And I think that the strategy should address also the tools, because so far we used only the webinars, so under Adobe Connect. We also used the ICANN Learn and we used eBook for two times.

So we need perhaps other tools to be developed to be used. This is something that should be also inside the strategy. So now we are going to the last point in our agenda, which is the chair, selecting a chair. I would like to see – I am sorry for Jasper, I can not give you the floor because the time is out, so we have to finish this call, and I ask now you to volunteer to be the chair for this working group, which is Capacity Building Working Group. Is there anyone who wants to take over? I see one wonderful possible candidate, who is Joanna. Joanna, do you want to be the upcoming chair?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

And Tijani, you should note in the [old Adobe] room that Alfredo has also been nominated and supported. I don't know whether he's going to step forward.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

I am sorry, I didn't see it. So if Alfredo volunteered and if there's no other one volunteering for that –



---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well, he's now nominating Joanna, etc. In the lack of time you have, you really may as well note that you've got a call for a leader to step forward for this subgroup of O&E that you just see – now, and there's the perfect response and it seems like it's settled, but cochairing or co-leading between Alfredo and Jonna, and I certainly would strongly support that, because I think cochairs are a great way forward. So, co-leads or co-chairs, I think that's a fantastic outcome. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I 100% support that, and thank you very much for both Alfredo and Joanna. Now you are the co-chair of this working group starting today. So thank you very much, thank you all. Is there any other final comment before I close this meeting?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, please, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I just want to thank you very much for all of your excellent work through the years on the Capacity Building Working Group. You've played and integral part in getting it to where it is today, and I do hope that you are involved in the future, but I also welcome very much the new co-chairs of Joanna and Alfredo. I think that will also be a good way to move forward. So thank you to all.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you. Thank you all. This working group call is now adjourned.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. Bye.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks, everyone. Bye.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you all for joining. This meeting is now ended. Have a lovely rest of the day, and please don't forget to disconnect your lines. And we'll be disconnecting the Adobe Connect audio as well. Thank you. Bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**