

---

ANDREA GLANDON: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening and welcome to the ICANN 64 Planning Committee Call held on Tuesday, 8 January 2019, at 19:00 UTC.

On today's call, we have Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Daniel Nanghaka, and Joanna Kulesza. We have apologies noted from Humberto Carrasco and John Laprise.

From staff, we have Gisella Gruber, Silvia Vivanco, Evin Erdogdu, and myself, Andrea Glandon on call management.

I would like to remind everyone to please state your name before speaking and to please keep your phone and microphones on mute when not speaking to avoid any background noise.

Thank you, and over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Andrea, and thank you to the little, small group that we have today.

I just wanted to for this particular meeting really concentrate and to assist Gisella with the scheduling of the ICANN 64 program and to get some feedback from participants as to what they had proposed and what we might be able to doing in Kobe in relation to the working sessions that we normally have. There was a request for some change as to how we presented those to make them more interactive, make

---

them a little bit more relevant to it is that we needed within those sessions.

I had lots of input from various people with suggestions of what we could do and, of course, these are actually in the agenda. The link is given as to what had actually been suggested by various people with regards to topics.

If I might just at this point in time go through some of those just from the feedback that I've actually had of late just to give us a bit of a starting point here. John Laprise had put forward a question relating to Compliance which was really high-level stuff that he wanted to know. I suggested that there would be several people within the who come to the meetings and a lot of visitors who come and if we actually gave it as a topic title, that people seeing that Compliance was going to be a topic that we might make it a little bit more like a workshop. I had discussed that with John and Jamie and others. So that's something we're still working on, and that's something that I'll be working with John on in relation to Compliance and what it does and how it impacts us as Internet end users.

And just fortunately I hope I'm still connected on my phone because I noticed that Adobe Connect has just crashed on me. Has that happened with everyone else, or is it just me?

ANDREA GLANDON:

Maureen, I see you're still connected on the AC, but your audio is still connected so your good.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, that is good. No, my Adobe Connect has just gone blank, black. So I'll just get out of it and connect again with it.

But continuing, and then the next I've got Daniel who is going to hold an outreach and engagement meeting. And that's normally done within our working session from what I remember. But as well as the meeting which is going to be looking at the different strategy documents that they're actually looking at – so that's a formal strategy and updating meeting as per usual – but he also is going to be running a workshop which involves a lot of the partners that are going to be working with outreach and engagement during the course of the year. And this may require the creation of little working groups or something, depending on what comes out of the workshop and what they plan to do during the year. It will also involve GSE because we do want to get more collaboration going between some of the RALOs and the GSE staff.

Please tell me if there is someone with their hand up because I don't actually have – I'm not connected to the Adobe Connect at the moment.

There's the GSE plus NARALO also raised the point about the RIRs, so that's something else that we may look into. Again, there's a wide range of [select] relationships between the RIRs and their RALOs and [it seems], again, that NARALO does not have a good relationship with their RIRs. So it's something we can build on.

But also one of the things about that workshop too was just although I note that Daniel has actually made it more directed toward Fellows and onboarding, that I'd really like to look at what that workshop is actually

---

going to involve because it's going to be pretty tight about what's going to be included. But onboarding for Fellows and that is something that we really do need to look at because that's the kind of thing that they actually have within the Fellowship program. So I need to work with Daniel on that one.

Of course, we've already got David Kolb's involvement listed in the program which Gisella will be able to go over in a minute. I've just had a message back from Keith Drazek, and he's happy to spend 30 minutes with us to introduce himself and to talk about GNSO [goals]. And there was a question that Marita and Holly brought up as well. He can only give us 30 minutes, so as long as [he gets] the questions and can address those in the timeframe that he's got. So I'm really pleased that he's making himself available for us. And Gisella and Nathalie can work on a suitable time.

I'm assuming that Olivier and Tatiana are going to be doing the At-Large NCSG workshop session. That's an assumption because I haven't had anything back from Olivier about that, but I've included it. And I'm not quite sure that we actually normally include it until our working sessions, but we'll see how it goes and how else we might be able to fit it in depending on what their scheduling is too.

ANDREA GLANDON: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Andrea?

---

ANDREA GLANDON: Marita has her hand up.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, please, Marita. Thank you.

MARITA MOLL: Okay, hi. I came in a couple minutes late, so I missed the first little bit. But I just caught you saying that Keith Drazek will only spend 30 minutes with us. That's not very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, it isn't.

MARITA MOLL: [inaudible] could easily take up three-quarters of that. So if that's the thing, maybe he could bring someone along who could continue the session after him so we could continue the discussion if he has to go somewhere else. Is that an idea?

MAUREEN HILYARD: That's an idea. That's an idea, and it's something I could ask him. I thought of that when he sent his response. But if he can only give us 30 minutes, that's fine because I know how busy he would be anyway. But I think too, and he said, that as long as he has the questions he could address that. But I can still ask if we can have Rafik and Pam, for

---

example. It depends on the timing and may not be at that particular time. I mean, he's probably giving us – again, it depends on when Nathalie and Gisella can coordinate a meeting time with [him] and if it's a follow on straight on if they have got GNSO things and that's why he's rushing away to, Rafik and Pam who would probably be his deputies would probably be required where he was. So we can definitely work on that to get some direct feedback. We do have our liaison, but I think getting it straight from the horse's mouth, especially in light of some of the issues that you've been raising in the [e-mails] lately. Thank you for that, Marita.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Maureen, in terms of liaisons [inaudible].

MARITA MOLL: Sure, okay. No harm in giving it a try.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If the GNSO is in session, that's [who your] liaison is. [inaudible]

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, that's true. Okay, just continuing on with that then, I won't talk about Jonathan just yet, but Yrjö of course the GAC session that's coming along well because, Yrjö, there's lots of dialoguing going on. The ccNSO, there's a few questions coming in and I think that will be fine. And we do have to get some questions for the board meeting.

---

But with Jonathan, I think that with respect to his [involvement], he's very keen to have sessions that are policy related [that] are more interactive and that we can bring people in when we're having policy discussions. But they're brought in for a purpose and they're brought in to contribute to whatever the discussion is. So I'm a little bit disappointed that Jonathan might not be [isn't here] to give us a little bit more on it, but I think that whatever time is available that we can certainly fill it with policy issues.

And I'm glad I got some great feedback from the ALAC about the hot topics to take back to the SO/AC [inaudible] meeting, so that's [cool] and it's really looking – everyone is very keen to know more about the strategic planning that is no going to be in place.

ICANN 3.0 session. Joanna, I'm just reading your question about the ICANN 3.0 session. No one has actually come up with a specific activity or a proposal. So can you remember who actually raised that? Was it Javier, I think? He's going to be pretty busy in Kobe, I would say, but I guess we could look at that. Marita?

MARITA MOLL:

I was just wondering if ICANN 3.0 was part of the strategic planning session, or is it something else?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I'm not quite sure. Hopefully, we can get somebody to get back to us about that. It has to be pretty quickly though because we have to start getting – I was actually hoping that by now people would be starting to

---

look at some real, a plan of action with regards to what people were planning on doing so that Gisella has something a little bit more concrete to be working on. So we'll look into that more. Joanna?

JOANNA KULESZA: Hello. Just testing my audio. Am I audible? Can you guys here me? Hello? Hello?

MAUREEN HILYARD: You are.

JOANNA KULESZA: Hello? Hello? Hello?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Hello, Joanna. We can hear you very quietly.

JOANNA KULESZA: Oh, good [inaudible]. The [inaudible] of the discussion was – hello? The ICANN 3.0 session – I'll try to improve the sound quality. It was the outcome of the discussion we had on the mailing list. We had a lengthy discussion on what can be done to improve ICANN [as such]. And then the decision was, well, not the decision. A suggestion was made to have an ICANN 3.0 session that summarizes that discussion. I think it was actually Marita who made the suggestion. I'm happy to summarize it and send it on the mailing list if that might help.



---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Mm-hmm.

JOANNA KULESZA: Again, I'm not sure [inaudible] then I'm happy to do that.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Great. Thank you, Joanna. I think too it's important because we're looking at timing. If we do actually have a discussion, how much time do we need to discuss it? What are the key issues that we're actually going to be looking at as well. Marita, do you want to make another comment?

MARITA MOLL: Yeah. I think I heard Joanna say that I had something to do with that ICANN 3.0, and I have no recollection. So much stuff goes down here. But I must say that looking at strategic plan, there's a big chunk in there about how they're going to reorganize the multi-stakeholder input. So we really, really need to talk about that. So I think we have to put that somewhere important on the agenda [inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, and it's a good discussion point that we could probably as an outcome come out with some kind of statement that we could propose to [someone] [inaudible].

---

Is there anything else? Daniel, is there anything that you'd like to raise about outreach and engagement based on what I've actually mentioned about the workshop activity? I mean, I know you've got a Google doc up at the moment, so I think that you've got to encourage the outreach and engagement people to be a little bit more involved in the planning of that. And the focus shouldn't be on the Fellows. The focus is on At-Large working and Fellows and others being involved in it and being part of what At-Large normally does rather than actually doing a big show-and-tell [saying] onboarding. That's my viewpoint anyway. Okay, so it's something we need to [inaudible].

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, go.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yeah, one of the things about these sessions is that we're looking at so much engagement of [inaudible] the session about the Fellows, the newcomers, the NextGens and so forth. Previously, there has been limited or inadequate interaction with this group of people, and the time that they come in to interact they get confused in these sessions like, for instance, the NCUC ALAC collaboration meeting. I just mention that as an example. So they still remain wondering how their involvement in At-Large is going to be.

---

So this session is going to bring out real deep insight of how the end user perspective comes into play and what their roles [inaudible] with an aim to at least attract those who are not already affiliated to ALSes [inaudible] still come in and get involved as individual ALSes. And not only that but also to open them up to [the] policy development process within ICANN At-Large. So that is one of the core objectives of the [inaudible] looking at strong collaboration still with the [GSE] [inaudible] help to [inaudible] that.

As far as the conversation [of] the outreach and engagement group has been is that currently there hasn't been a feedback yet from [inaudible] [Wong] probably will be inviting [inaudible] for the next call [inaudible] outreach and engagement [inaudible] able to update on the status. And that is regarding to the meeting with the NPOC. But also already [Dennis Chang] is in contact with the chair for NPOC to see how we can be able to come up with a draft session such that it can bring in so much [of] close collaboration.

And also the [third] session that is going to be very important is the one for the general face-to-face meeting for outreach and engagement. During this session, we want to look deep into how these respective strategies are coming into play how are they fitting into the [new respective] structures. Despite the fact that we're having already the working groups, [slowly] we shall get there when they begin to understand the new leadership structure of the working groups and the subcommittees.

I'll give an example of, for instance, like right now there is [already] Joanna's team that is working on the capacity building implementation

---

strategy, which [inaudible] is coming along quite well. And there's also another team that is working on the communication strategy. All of this will be [inaudible] but during that meeting it's going to be more or less of their [logging into] these respective strategies but that in the next FY we have at least a clear line [of path] of implementation. Because this FY it's more or less like we are organizing our records to be able to get things done amid all this kind of new respective adjustments. [Which] I think is a discussion [that is] going to be happening [regarding] ICANN 3.0, then this would simply [inaudible] so well with the latest adjustments in [inaudible].

Thank you very much. Back to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Daniel. Okay, I can see some development there. You're talking about three sessions. It's just that I think that, for example, if you're going to be looking at the three sessions – and I can see that the outreach, the meeting as such was the strategies and the updates and all that kind of stuff. And that's normally a 60- to 90-minute call that we have but with the workshops because you're actually dividing it into two separate sections.

But anything that you're directing to the Fellows must be done in coordination with Siranush so that you're not actually bringing in things that she's already going to be doing. So that onboarding probably doesn't need to be very long, a 30-minute session or something, because it's only complementing. It should be complementing what it is that they're already doing in their program but focusing more on what

---

we do in At-Large and how they can actually become involved in At-Large at the same time.

Okay, are there any other questions or queries? Cheryl, anything? Based on the sorts of things that people said in our Barcelona meeting about the sorts of things that they wanted, and I know that the policy area was the area that really received the greatest attention and that there are issues that I guess if we were able to talk about within our working sessions before the key open forums, the hot topics sessions, it just means by having that discussion beforehand people can feel a bit more confident about raising something up within the public forum. Do you have any views on that?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I think a couple things struck me listening to you all. The first one is I want to remind you, trying to channel Jonathan here, and that is remember we are policy focused wherever possible. I fear a little bit that ICANN 3.0 discussions could go down the rabbit hole of topics and navel gazing and ICANN bashing that could be declared by an external observer as nothing more than administration and loathing self-interest. So we just need to be a little bit careful there. Not saying we shouldn't explore some of those things. I'm just saying it's a potential Lewis Carroll moment, which is okay but you need to be prepared for the fallout because these are in public meetings. Navel gazing is great. It's a bit like masturbation in the privacy of your own room. But these are public rooms, right? So I just want to caution you on that. And, yes, I know it's for the transcript record, but that's perfectly normal language for me.

---

The other thing is I also would suggest that the terminology you use for titling your sessions needs to be looked at pretty carefully as well. ICANN 3.0, “Who the F do we think we are to declare what that should be?” is going to be the reaction from other parts of ICANN. So have a conversation, but be aware that in public meetings and under public view how we present these things needs to be carefully thought out. All right?

MAUREEN HILYARD: [Fair enough.] Thank you, Cheryl. Marita?

MARITA MOLL: Yeah, thank you. Cheryl, I can appreciate we do not want to go down to any bashing and navel gazing rabbit holes. But do you feel the same way talking about that part of the strategic plan that deals with how ICANN can more effectively support the multi-stakeholder system? Because I think that’s important.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Marita, [that’s] exactly how you title your question is how I would suggest with a little bit of better grammar titling sessions, for example. That frames the conversation in a less, dare I say, presumptuous manner. And link that specifically to the developing strat plan, absolutely perfect.

And ICANN has been forced to recognize by very forceful in the past advocacy from ALAC and the At-Large community going back to certainly – I’m just trying to think which one – well, in the days back

---

when it was Rod Beckstrom as CEO. Put it that way. That's right back to ATRT 1 days, right? When we've been doing strategic planning with ICANN, we've been very proactively engaged and we've made it very clear that we as a community are an advantageous tool for ICANN to effectively support, facilitate, and use. So those approaches can be built upon. So I'm just saying work smart, that's all.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Well, that's interesting. I think it will be good to – I think we should develop something that we can work on. It doesn't require a 60-minute session or something like that, but it might be even just raising it as a question that can be discussed by the team. But I think that as long as we can focus it on what it is rather than making it – I mean, strategic planning, we can offer the lower level that they can actually build on at a high level strategic objective, but how we feel that the strategic planning can actually impact us within At-Large. So I think that there are opportunities there for us to engage in something that we can feed back into the system. Marita?

MARITA MOLL:

Yes, I would just caution that this should be – I would see this as a managed workshop style discussion out of which [we] produce something, right.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, I like it.

---

MARITA MOLL: So not just chat but actually produce, these are the things that we are going to submit to them on this subject. But it would be a managed discussion that's not just going to go all over the place crazy.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, [inaudible].

MARITA MOLL: If that's possible.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, I'm sure it's possible. I agree with Cheryl in that I think that we can actually justify putting forward a statement to the board or whoever about how At-Large feels. Especially when there's actual feedback from group discussions and that, a lot of small groups and then taking it to the wider group and then making a blanket set of bullet points or something as key issues that come out of the discussions.

Granted, we're only looking at the feedback that's possibly coming from the group that happens to be there in the room at the time, but it is one of the very few opportunities that we actually get to talk face-to-face with our key stakeholder groups. So we can't expect that the whole million or so are going to be coming to Japan and that we can actually have a talk with them. I don't know. How many people? I guess we haven't had to count all the people that are in our ALSes and that, but has anybody got an idea of what our representation is within our ALS [system]? That's something we can find out later.



---

But I think that it's definitely something that we can work on, if someone can get some notes together and we can add it to the system. I will have to get back to some of these people again and confirm on some workplan because I know that Gisella wants to get something concrete going in there. I know I've taken up most of that time, but Gisella has got a plan. Gisella has a plan, and we've just been taking up her time. Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, Maureen. I have the plan. I'm just trying to put together the pieces on the At-Large draft schedule, which I would like to post on the wiki page. But let me just give an update on my side for what is required – just bear with me for a second – what is required in order to be able to submit the meeting forms which is actually also what I wanted to touch base with on this meeting. I'm just working on sending out the draft schedule and then everyone on the planning committee will be able to see this as well.

To give you an idea of what At-Large Leadership Working Sessions we have, they're in the process of being labeled and I know we've been talking about the naming of our sessions. The At-Large Leadership Working Sessions which comprise obviously the ALAC and the regional leaders in this. I'm happy to modify, but I would have suggested submitting them as At-Large Leadership Working Sessions just to block out our [room].

Then I would suggest in the second instance is to be working on how we wish to make them more specific to say whether we're going to be

---

discussing policies, whether we're going to be discussing procedures, whether we're going to be discussing whatever we're going to be discussing to be able to put it then in the title of the meeting.

For instance, for Joanna who is newer to the group, what we've done in the past is they've all been labeled At-Large Leadership Working Session Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4. And when I'm saying labeled, that is on the main ICANN schedule for the public face-to-face meetings. What you then do is you click on that meeting on the website, and that will just bring you to a page to put the same blurb for all the meetings. Literally, the same description being "this is to discuss policies/procedures/whatever it is" and we invite ICANN staff to attend these meetings as well and we put a link to the agenda. The agenda link [is then the] wiki page, which is our main ICANN 64 wiki landing space. And on that, we will have the individual meeting pages for each day. And we will complete those, and that is something that can be done until we need to send them in for translation, let's say two weeks before the meetings.

But how we're trying to work on this meeting now – and I know this has been said in the past but just for the people who are maybe not 100% on how we've been working in the past – is that initially we need to get the session in to say we need the ALAC room at these times, that we will be needing interpretation for all these sessions, that we will be needing transcripts, etc.

So what I've done in the initial At-Large draft schedule – and if you just give me five minutes I will get this out to you and you will be able to see it; I'll quickly send it in an e-mail as well as putting it on the Skype chat –

---

is I've just put blocks for everyone. I'm just going to in the Skype chat if everyone has access to that I'm just going to put the one that I was working on shortly before having a call with Tanzania King, who is part of the meetings team, to run through the schedule with her. But at least now you know what I'm talking about if you're able to open that Excel document which I didn't send in time for Andrea to make as a PDF.

On Saturday and Sunday, we've essentially got our working sessions. On Saturday [at] the lunch, we will be having the leadership skills development workshop with David Kolb. And I've just had a call with Tanzania King just to confirm that we can have a 120-minute session which doesn't quite fit in with the block schedule but it's exceptional. We'll be serving lunch during that meeting. And then we've got to work on how we use the remaining 30 minutes of that block.

And on the Sunday, it's the same. We've got the At-Large leadership working sessions which I've just labeled as ALAC working sessions for now. And at the end of the day, we've got the ALAC and ccNSO session which is penciled in from 5:00-6:00 p.m.

And you'll see on the Monday, that we start with the opening ceremony. We've got the high-interest session. We've got a 90-minute yellow block which means that is time that we can use for the ALAC and At-Large to have sessions, may it be a working group, a subcommittee, a workshop – however we wish to use that time.

What I need to know is: A) Do we want to use that time in our meeting room? and B) Would you like me to book interpretation? It's always easier for me to book a meeting room with full services as in

---

interpretation and transcriptions, etc. and then to go back and to say, well actually, we're cancelling that session. It's much easier because after the meeting forms are closed, so that is in about two and a half weeks from now, I can't add any sessions.

So if we just run through that session again through the schedule – which I know, my apologies, Andrea, but I was working on it literally until I joined this call – any of those yellow blocks we can use. What we'll then be working on is avoiding any conflict with other groups. So as people start submitting their meeting forms and requesting meetings, it gets put on an internal schedule and we can already then identify potential conflicts which will be discussed on the weekly calls.

Thank you very much, Andrea, for getting that up in such a short time. So you can all see what I mean about this yellow blocked out space which is for the ALAC sessions. At this stage if we can just have a closer look at that and see how we wish to work on our blocks, and then I will submit them to make sure that the meeting room is actually blocked out at that time.

Does that make sense to everyone on how we actually proceed in submitting meeting forms and what information is required to submit the meeting forms?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Sounds good to me.

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Perfect. Thanks. And just to say that if we are having any working group meetings or subcommittee meetings that need to be held individually and actually have their own title appear on the ICANN schedule, that's fine. We can use one of these yellow slots. That's what we've done in the past, providing the chair of the ALAC is in agreement with it. But this is how I do my work, and this is how I submit my meeting forms. And we've also always in the agenda building got to be very realistic about timing, allow for any transition time. For instance, if we've got a block and then there's another block following that one, we've got to allow for a 15-minute break in between, but I usually take that into account when doing the scheduling. Marita has her hand up.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Marita?

MARITA MOLL: Yeah, I just want to make sure that all those titles that say ALAC Working Session will turn into something that's actually meaningful to other people. Is that right? They'll be working sessions on something.

MAUREEN HILYARD: That's we're [inaudible] on. Yes, exactly.

MARITA MOLL: Good because that was an issue last time.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: This was also something that Cheryl raised, that when we do rename that the renaming has got to be appropriate so that when people read the new title at least they're actually understanding what it is [inaudible]. I mean, at the moment, working session means nothing. But even the title that we rename it to has got to be such that it denotes what is involved, but we've just got to be careful that we're not saying that we're going to be doing ICANN's work or anything like that. So we've just got to be a little bit more careful about what the titles are that we use. So there will be a discussion about the titles, no doubt. That will probably be a whole [inaudible].

MARITA MOLL: Right. You don't want to promise too much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Don't want to promise too much, no, [obviously].

MARITA MOLL: You don't want to promise too much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Exactly. Okay, so is there anything more, Gisella? We're all going to get a copy of this document, aren't we? So that people can look at where might be an appropriate time based on other things that might be. But you need to have – will we be able to have another meeting before you have to make the final send off to Tanzania? Gisella?

---

GISELLA GRUBER:

Sorry. Talking to myself. Thank you very much, Maureen, for that. Just to come back to – I love talking to myself. Just coming back to the Saturday, we will add the David Kolb session. We'll make sure that he's available for that time. We'll block that session out.

And, yes, I will send this out to everyone because then they can see. And I haven't finished working on it yet because underneath each ALAC working session which I'll change to At-Large leadership working session, I've put the timing and then the duration so you know approximately how many minutes and then people can see quite easily, well, I actually need 105 minutes for this session or a 90-minute session. Could I possibly use this time?

Within the block schedule and to stick to timings because in all of this we have to take into account that when there's a coffee break or when there's a lunch break or when there's an afternoon transition break or the morning coffee break, during these times our technical staff either stay in the room and they have a quick break or they change technical staff. And the same with the interpreters. The interpreters do need a break. And they also sometimes, depending on the scheduling of the interpreters, sometimes they even change from one session to the next. In the ALAC working room, we don't always have the same. But when we do have those breaks, it actually means that we would need to stick to those breaks.

Why I'm saying that is that you'll see, unfortunately, on the Saturday afternoon having a two-hour session with David Kolb leaves us a little

---

bit of a 30-minute lull where we could obviously fill it and set an agenda item there. But again, we would need to break between David Kolb and the 30-minute session there.

Also, what I'd like to confirm, Maureen, is whether or not we'll be providing interpretation for the session with David Kolb and whether we require a recording. So that is a point that we can pick up on.

And you'll see that funny, weird timing is also on Wednesday when we start our day with a meeting with the ALAC, then we've got a 30-minute slot in our room, coffee break, another 30-minute slot, and then we go to the meeting with the GAC. Now we have requested a 60-minute meeting with the GAC. We've only been allocated 45 minutes as it stands now.

I know they are having a meeting I think maybe next week – I have asked staff support from the GAC to confirm that – to discuss whether we will have a 45- or 60-minute session. I know that Anna and Yrjö are pushing for a 60-minute session, hence me putting all those little annotations in which you may not have seen yet. Let me just see if you've got it on your screen. Wednesday, yes, I've put in there, for instance, "hold for additional 15 minutes ALAC and GAC" and I've allowed for a transition break.

So I've taken into account everything that needs to be taken into account, and hopefully we can work according to these yellow blocks that I've given everyone.

On the last day, I've put the ALAC wrap-up, two sessions for the ALAC wrap-up. And as I said, for instance, at that time we'll have the EPDP



---

session, not that that has a huge impact, possibly for our wrap-up, the second part. But as and when I get information on other people having meetings, I will make sure that everyone gets an updated version of this table and even I know Maureen is dying to have it on Google Documents. But my nightmare of Google Documents is just the thought of people tampering with it and changing it, and I will not be able to keep track of what's being done.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Gisella. I certainly don't want anybody tampering with your good work. People can make suggestions and propose. Or, for example, can write on the document and can sections be closed off and other sections made available? For example, a section where they can actually make notes?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

You should be able to have it for comment only.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Yeah, I'm sure we can set something up. Sorry, Google docs and myself are not the greatest of friends, but I'll work on something.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I mean, just something so that they might be able to – this is your comment area and you may – that sort of thing just suits me because I have other things going on somewhere else. So if I can have my slot

---

here or something, a little comment like that. Yes, a comments only section. That's great. It will be really good if that can be arranged.

GISELLA GRUBER: [inaudible] Just one more thing. We're not likely to have Japanese interpretation for any or all of our sessions in Japan. I know that meetings team language services is looking into this because of the high cost for sessions. So there may only be Japanese interpretation in the main room. Do you think that this is something that we need or that we should be requesting for all our sessions or not? Usually what happens is that we work in English, French, Spanish. When we're in Africa, we work in Arabic as well. But we don't necessarily have any other languages added for the country we're in.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Well, this is it because I think that, for example, when we're in Japan we're actually going to get quite a lot of Asian countries involved anyway and we're assuming that we'll get a lot of people from Japan. But I don't think it will justify having Japanese interpretation.

GISELLA GRUBER: Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: But I mean, Chinese, Korean, Malaysian, all those areas that are close by, they all have their own specific language and we can't cater for all of

---

them anyway. So I think we just have to say that we stick to our traditional language areas.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Maureen. And just while I've got the airspace here, sorry if you raised that before as I was just working on the document. For the SSAC, I know that on 2 January, Andrei said that he said let's keep the tradition and plan of the ALAC and SSAC session in Kobe. I'm just confirming with you that you're happy to have that as we usually do during the working sessions over the weekend, and then whether you wish to engage with RSSAC and ASO and whether you'll be sending something out or if there's any action required from my end.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Well, I was actually thinking that if we had a 60-minute block and we allocated 30 minutes or so for presentations/questions for the SSAC as we normally do, the RSSAC – I mean, I think we haven't traditionally had an RSSAC [inaudible] but we did in the last meeting.

GISELLA GRUBER: [Correct.]

MAUREEN HILYARD: Then [Brad] was new, was he not? Yeah. So I'd like to – it's an area that I knew nothing about anyway, so it was of interest to me. But I wanted to – I've actually got it down on my list, especially after I went to put that into the new block of another session – was that having the SSAC/RSSAC

---

sessions close together and getting some questions from the ALAC and ALT-Plus team as to what they also want to get out of those presentations. And we could probably do them one after the other in a 60-minute block or something. But, yes, I'd be keen to actually have some input from both of those groups.

GISELLA GRUBER: Okay, perfect. So will you follow up on that one?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, I will. Can you put down an action item for me?

GISELLA GRUBER: Okay, and I can then work with the support staff after the note has been sent out.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just some questions. On the David [Kolb] leadership event, you said that there would be 30 minutes of space. I'm not following that. Because I see you have it for three hours actually. So are you planning to have the lunch first?

GISELLA GRUBER: No, sorry. That's a typo. It's 12:15 to 14:15. My apologies. I have to correct it. It's 120 minutes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So where is the 30 minutes extra then? It's 45 minutes you're saying basically, right?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, Heidi, I thought we said the session was a two-hour session.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It is.

GISELLA GRUBER: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: But then earlier just a few minutes ago you said that there's a 30-minute space you said.

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes. We've got the two-hour slot from 12:15 to 14:15. And then to stay within the block sessions, I'm just saying that there would be a 15-minute break and then the ALAC can reconvene and have a brief 30-minute meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, I understand now. So I'm wondering, do you want to have the lunch first there? I mean maybe David could – my concern is that if we have lunch during that time, are we going to lose a little bit of valuable time to do the facilitation training while everyone is eating? That's my thought. Yeah, go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER: Entirely up to you. I've literally just slotted it in because I discussed how to submit the meeting form with Tanzania once we have confirmed it, and she said it's fine to submit it whatever timing we need. I just thought that if you wished to start at 12:15, but we can absolutely start with the lunch and give time for people just to greet David and have a [30-minute] lunch and then have a 90-minute [inaudible] session [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah.

MAUREEN HILYARD: That would be – I'd prefer that.

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Or even 120 minutes after that. That's absolutely fine.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, that's what I [would do].

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: If you're okay.

GISELLA GRUBER: Up to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, let's do the lunch first and we can do all the warm up and maybe some sort of team building exercise there and then go that full two hours straight through.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Perfect.

GISELLA GRUBER: Okay, not a problem.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: [inaudible] we don't need that 30-minute little session then. Okay?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sure.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so that's one question. Maureen and Gisella, I have not seen the draft GNSO schedule. Is the EPDP meeting all day again on Saturday?

GISELLA GRUBER: We've got the EPDP on Saturday morning, the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures on Saturday afternoon, and then the EPDP reconvenes on Sunday for the last slot.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Maureen, did you want to do the same as Alan did? And that is where you ask all ALAC members to do that? To attend [those] sessions?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, Heidi? I've got an update. I asked Nathalie for an updated schedule. What I see now is that they've put the EPDP all day on Saturday and running parallel with that we have the Subsequent Procedures Work Team 5 in the morning and the New gTLD Subsequent



---

Procedures in the afternoon. So they're parallel sessions running all day on Saturday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so again, Maureen, do you wish to have the ALAC go to those sessions? What we could do in the meantime is [inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD: Well, the only thing is on Saturday I'd really like to meet up with the ALAC team for some time before the workshop.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah.

MAUREEN HILYARD: So that like, for example, if we met at 9:00 during that first working session as an introductory session to the week and what we're going to be doing and ensuring that everyone is up to speed with what they have to do and the various working session activities. And then perhaps like, for example, in the second session, the 10:30 to 12:00 before that, if there's an EPDP or the – what was the other one that was going on at the same time? The Subsequent Procedures?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It's Work Track 5, geo names all morning.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, that's a Work Track 5 one? Of course. So perhaps in that session just before lunch that they attend either one or the other.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: So there will be ALAC members at either of those two sessions.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. So, Gisella, I see right now you have an Alt-Plus breakfast work session from 7:15 to 8:30. What's the earliest time that meetings could start, the main meetings? I'm assuming that's when the EPDP starts as well, right?

GISELLA GRUBER: The EPDP starts at 8:30 running through until 6:30. Subsequent Procedures Work Team 5 starts at 9:00 running through until 12:00. Then the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures is from 13:30 to 16:45.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

---

GISELLA GRUBER: I only put the Alt-Plus breakfast working session there. I'm not 100% about the layout of the breakfast rooms at the hotel convention center. We've got a call with the meetings team to run through a few of those questions. That was just a suggestion. I'm not even sure if you wish to have one. Bearing in mind that now that the Alt-Plus is much larger, it is very difficult to have any constructive meeting in a breakfast room without it being a meeting. And the earliest we can start at the convention center is 8:30 in the morning.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, Maureen, I don't know how we can get – basically just Alan's not on the ALAC so it would basically just be Hadja who we'd be missing if you wanted to have an intro session on that Saturday.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. I've thought that I would like to meet with them first thing on [the Saturday]. And then, of course, we can go on to that [choice] thing and then we go into the leadership course. It's quite a – and then, of course, after 3:00 then we've got two working sessions. So it's going to be pretty full on.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, what worked well last time, I thought, was that we met with the outreach and engagement team on Saturday and we brought the GSE in. So we could do that on Saturday in the afternoon.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. Well, when we get the actual [work teams] and [their timings], then we can start scheduling what would be the most appropriate times for each of those.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, okay. What was the other thing? Oh, yeah, that was the third question, was the GSE. Okay, so I think that you've answered my questions. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Daniel [just] mentioned something conflicts with [chairing skills]. When is the [chairing skills] group meeting, Daniel?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: It's [inaudible] on Saturday.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry? What was that again? Sorry, Daniel?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Daniel, I don't have any particular times for it yet.

GISELLA GRUBER: Neither do I.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [inaudible]

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, I think it was still being planned. Let me find out. Actually, let me just look at something really quickly.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Any one I'm [hosting] will have to fit in with my schedule. That's [it] for me.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible] just asked [inaudible] end of last year, and they hadn't set a time yet.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's right. [inaudible]

GISELLA GRUBER: [inaudible] put it as a note that it's planned for the Saturday, but I didn't have a timing on that one yet.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: God, they're annoying bloody people. [You wonder why.] I mean why do you need [chairing skills] starting on the Saturday of the meeting? Any damn day that week would help. All we're going to do is interact with our – it's like they all think their little piece of work is the most important in the world. We could be preloaded with whatever it is they're going to do on the Saturday and just get down to [tin] tacks and interacting with and operationalizing it at the meeting. Anyway, what would I know about these things. I'm muting before I say something even more inflammatory.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, please. Okay, well, if you could get back to us on that, that would be really helpful, Heidi. I want to get on to sending out messages to people to get them to get some information back to us as soon as possible.

Poor Joanna. I should say, Joanna, we have all been there, done that. The thing is that Gisella bamboozles us with the science that she's got now. It's just a science that she's got for putting these [block] schedules together. So you've just got to tell her when you'd like to do something, and she just slots it in and makes it happen. That's how it works. Great, yes.

Okay, are there any other questions or queries that we have to deal with right now?

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Gisella, you're the important one. Anything?

GISELLA GRUBER: No, nothing to deal with just right now, but you will find in your inbox – I see that you weren't copied on this and apologies for that – but there's been no discussion since mid-December on the session that you mentioned about the At-Large outreach session. As I said, you've got it in your inbox. And what we've done in the past was that the NCUC and ALAC joint sessions, in Barcelona we had the session in 90- and a 60-minute session on Monday. In San Juan earlier this year, last year, we had a 90-minute session on the Saturday. I've put all that information into your inbox, and I've copied Olivier on it.

I've also followed up with the Tatiana, Bruna, Adam Peake, and whoever is on that other list of people who are supposedly organizing this to say, "Have you decided on any time and duration and dates for this session?" Because I haven't seen anything post-14 December when [I] was put on the thread. So hopefully, Olivier will pick up on that very shortly. I'm going to send him a little Skype message as well. And that, again as I've said, would probably be slotted in possibly on the Monday. I'm looking at the GNSO session to see if they have already tentatively penciled something in on their side, and I can't see anything. Nothing.

So I just wanted to give you an update on that because I think I caught you saying that it might be during our working sessions, but just to

---

confirm that it's not during our working sessions. And that's it. And I [inaudible] tidying up this Excel document with lots of colors and lots of annotations and sending that around to everybody. And you'll then have a better idea of how much time we have to use.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Right. Awesome. Thank you. Any other questions or queries from my grand audience here?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I didn't know we were so loftily titled. Thank you for that. It puts me into a much better mood before I have to join the OEC call shortly.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, good luck.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Probably best that I'm in a better mood before I join the OEC call.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Well, thank you very much for coming, Cheryl and Joanna and Marita who has gone now and Daniel. Thank you. We've all got tasks to do now, so we'll get [inaudible] into it. And have a great day, evening, morning.

ANDREA GLANDON: And we'll have a call next week.



MAUREEN HILYARD: Call next week, yeah, great.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, great. Good idea.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, all right. Awesome. Thank you. Okay, see you then, guys.  
Everyone, bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**