- Category: Board
- Topic: ATRT Report Implementation
- Board meeting date: 21 April 2011
- Resolution number: 2011.04.21.14
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-21apr11-en.htm#6
- Status: Ongoing
Board assigns review of ATRT recommendations to Board Committees.
Whereas, the Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT) Report provided 27 recommendations to improve ICANN, and the Affirmation of Commitments obligates ICANN to take action on the Report by 30 June 2011;
Whereas, implementation of these recommendations will require significant Board work, and extensive coordination with key community groups (including the Governmental Advisory Committee) and staff;
RESOLVED (2011.04.21.14), the Board tasks the following Board Committees to address the specified ATRT recommendations in the attached document [PDF, 60 KB].
- Address specified ATRT recommendations.
- Responsible entity: Board Committees
- Due date: None provided
- Completion date: Ongoing
As required by the Affirmation of Commitments, the recommendations resulting from the Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT) were provided to the Board and posted for public comment. Public comments were supportive of the ATRT report and staff's due diligence resulted in advice that ICANN move forward with implementation of the ATRT's recommendations. Staff provided initial, proposed plans that demonstrated ICANN's ability to implement the recommendations and provided estimated resource costs. The Board asked staff to work with affected organizations and develop final implementation plans for Board approval, and notes that ICANN has already made progress on implementation of several operational changes called for by the ATRT.
Implementation of the 27 ATRT recommendations will require significant Board work, and extensive coordination with key community groups (including the Governmental Advisory Committee) and staff. To help ensure implementation moves forward expeditiously, the Board is delegating recommendation implementation work to relevant Board Committees, [and creating a temporary Board-GAC joint working group to address GAC-related recommendations. NOTE: this portion of the Rationale has not been updated to reflect a change to the Board's resolution. The Rationale will be formally changed prior to its adoption during the next Board meeting.
Other Related Resolutions
- Resolutions 2011.01.25.30-2011.01.25.32, Report on AOC Reviews including ATRT Recommendations, Next Steps, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-25jan11-en.htm#6.
- Resolutions 2011.03.18.18-2011.03.18.22, AOC Reviews, Including ATRT Recommendations, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-18mar11-en.htm#4.
- Resolution 2011.04.21.15, Esimated Budget Implications of ATRT Recommendations for FY2012 Budget, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-21apr11-en.htm#6.2.
- Resolutions 2011.06.24.17-2011.06.24.19, ATRT Recommendations, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-24jun11-en.htm#2.
- Resolutions 2011.08.25.09-2011.08.25.15, Process Steps for Consideration of Board Remuneration, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-25aug11-en.htm#4.
- Resolution 2011.10.28.13, Posting of Expert's Report on Board Compensation, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-28oct11-en.htm#1.10.
- Resolutions 2011.12.08.14-2011.12.08.18, ATRT Recommendation 5: Board Compensation, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-08dec11-en.htm#3.
- Other resolutions TBD.
- Status of the ATRT Implementation work can be followed at http://www.icann.org/en/accountability/overview-en.htm.
- Assignments of ATRT recommendations to Board Committees available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/atrt-recommendation-list-21apr11-en.pdf.
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.
Note: The "Add Comment" box below is for sharing information about implementation of this resolution. Off-topic comments will be removed.