- Category: Internet Protocols
- Topic: Tracking IPv4 Global Policy Process For IPv4 Post-Exhaustion
- Board meeting date: 21 April 2011
- Resolution number: 2011.04.21.09
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-21apr11-en.htm#2.9
- Status: Ongoing
Board instructs ICANN staff to follow the policy proposal entitled "Global Policy for Post Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation Mechanisms by IANA" and instructs the ICANN CEO to assign staff for this purpose.
Whereas, the Board's Review Procedures for Global Internet Number Resource Policies Forwarded for Ratification by the ASO Address Council in Accordance with the ASO MoU, states that "When, in accordance with step 1 in the Global Policy Development Process of the ASO MoU (Attachment A, article 1), ICANN staff liaising with the addressing community becomes aware of a global policy development within the scope of the ASO MoU, ICANN staff informs the ICANN Board of this development. The Board decides, as and when appropriate, that this development should be followed by ICANN staff and instructs the ICANN CEO to assign staff for this purpose. ICANN staff so assigned shall inform all ICANN Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees, shall establish an ICANN web page to be kept up to date and shall compile a background report to be kept up to date on this global policy development. This background report shall be provided to the Board as requested.".
Whereas, ICANN staff has informed the Board that a policy proposal entitled " Global Policy for Post Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation Mechanisms by IANA " is in development and that this Proposal has entered the first adoption steps within the individual RIRs as well as being recognized by the ASO Address Council as a valid Global Policy Proposal.
Whereas, the Proposal is identified as a global policy development within the scope of the Memorandum of Understanding between ICANN and the ASO.
RESOLVED (2011.04.21.09), the Board requests that the development of the policy proposal entitled "Global Policy for Post Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation Mechanisms by IANA" be followed by ICANN staff in line with the Board's Review Procedures for such policy proposals and instructs the ICANN CEO to assign staff for this purpose.
- Follow policy proposal entitled "Global Policy for Post Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation Mechanisms by IANA."** Responsible entity: ICANN Staff
- Entity Responsible: CEO
- Due date: None provided
- Completion date: Ongoing
The Global Policy Proposal has reached the discussion stage in all Regional Internet Registries and the time is ripe to start producing and posting Background Reports on the Proposal's status. Directing staff to conduct the required tracking work is in furtherance of ICANN's obligations under the MoU with the ASO and the Board's Review Procedures for Global Internet Number Resource Policies.*
There will be a nominal budgetary impact when directing staff to track the Proposal, as ICANN staff is already allocated to the ASO, and the tracking of proposals at this stage require limited staff effort. If approved, future implementation may pose additional impacts on the budget, public and security/stability related issues, but those are not ripe for assessment at this time. Requiring staff tracking at this stage will also allow for advance preparation of a future request from the ASO for ratification of the Proposal.
Other Related Resolutions
- Resolution 2007.11.20.(__), directing staff to perform "early awareness tracking" of a Global Policy Proposal for IANA allocation of the remaining IPv4 address space, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-20nov07.htm.
- Resolution 2011.01.25.09, directing staff to follow the Global Policy Proposal for the Allocation of IPv4 by the IANA post exhaustion, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-25jan11-en.htm.
- Other resolutions TBD.
- The Background Report on Global Policy Global Policy Proposal for the Allocation of IPv4 by IANA Post Exhaustion is available at: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-11feb11-en.htm.
- The Updated Background Report on Global Policy for Post Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation Mechanisms by IANA is available at: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-26apr11-en.htm.
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.
Note: The "Add Comment" box below is for sharing information about implementation of this resolution. Off-topic comments will be removed.