- Category: gTLDs
- Topic: New gTLD Applicant Support
- Board meeting date: 28 October 2010
- Resolution number: 2010.10.28.20, 2010.10.28.21, 2010.10.28.22
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-28oct10-en.htm
- Status: Ongoing
Thanked Joint Supporting Organization/Advisory Committee (SO/AC) Working Group on New gTLD Applicant Support (the JAS WG) for their report and encouraged continued community input on guidelines for implementation.
Whereas, the Board at its March 2010 meeting in Nairobi, Kenya, passed resolutions recognizing the importance of an inclusive New gTLD Program, and requesting stakeholders to form a Working Group to develop sustainable support needy applicants for new gTLDs;
Whereas ALAC and the GNSO Council, in response to the Nairobi Board resolutions, formed a Joint Supporting Organization/Advisory Committee (SO/AC) Working Group on New gTLD Applicant Support (the JAS WG);
Whereas the JAS WG worked with various stakeholders and presented a report on their findings and recommendations to the Board, and the Board also received a statement on the matter from the African community;
Whereas the Board, at its September, 2010 meeting in Trondheim, Norway, made some statements on providing needy applicants with support such as outreach and education, and matching them with sources of support;
Whereas the Board, along the lines of its Nairobi meeting resolutions, is still committed to working with the community to ensure an inclusive new gTLD program;
RESOLVED (2010.10.28.20), the Board thanks the JAS WG and those members of the community who have devoted their time and energy on finding sustainable ways to support needy applicants for new gTLDs.
RESOLVED (2010.10.28.21), the Board encourages the JAS WG and other stakeholders to continue their work on the matter, and in particular, provide specific guidelines on the implementation of their recommendations such as determining the criteria for eligibility for support.
RESOLVED (2010.10.28.22), the Board further stresses that any needy applicant support program must have a sustainable funding model that may be independent of ICANN and can be implemented transparently, and effectively to the benefit of the global Internet community.
- Provide specific guidelines
- Responsible entity: Community Working Group and other stakeholders
- Due date: None
- Completion date: Ongoing
Other Related Resolutions
- The Board provided additional direction regarding applicant support in its 20 June 2011 Resolution approving the New gTLD program, at http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-20jun11-en.htm.
- Other resolutions to be determined.
- The JAS WG's work can be viewed at https://community.icann.org/display/jaswg/SO-AC+New+gTLD+Applicant+Support+Working+Group+%28JAS-WG%29.
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Meetings and Resolutions Web Page for more information.