- Category: Administration and Budget
- Topic: Engagement of Iron Mountain as registrar data escrow service provider
- Board meeting date: 14 August 2007
- Resolution number: 07.62
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-14aug07.htm
- Status: Completed
Board authorizes staff to engage Iron Mountain as ICANN's designated escrow agent pursuant to its registrar data escrow program.
Whereas, ICANN's mission is to coordinate, at the overall level, the global Internet's systems of unique identifiers, and in particular to ensure the stable and secure operation of the Internet's unique identifier systems;
Whereas, ICANN has developed a Registrar Data Escrow program to protect registrants and ensure stable and secure operation of the domain name system;
Whereas, ICANN's Registrar Data Escrow program requires ICANN to receive, validate, and store registration data deposited by registrars;
Whereas, ICANN has conducted a Request for Proposals to identify a qualified and competent agent to perform these responsibilities and has identified Iron Mountain Intellectual Property Management, Inc. (Iron Mountain), as the most qualified and capable potential RDE provider through the competitive bidding process;
Whereas, ICANN Staff has consulted with registrars regarding the potential conflicts of interest raised due to Iron Mountain's domain name-related businesses, including its status as an ICANN-accredited registrar;
Whereas, Iron Mountain has demonstrated efforts to prevent and avoid abuse of its position as ICANN's RDE provider, given potential conflicts of interest;
Whereas, the cost to ICANN to retain Iron Mountain may exceed the amount allocated in the 2007-08 fiscal year budget because: the level of participation by registrars in ICANN's service is unpredictable and the program will now operate through most of the fiscal year due to acceleration of the program's implementation;
Whereas, ICANN will cover Registrar Data Escrow cost in the existing 2007-08 expense budget;
Whereas, the contracted dollar amount will exceed Staff signing authority;
Whereas, discussions between ICANN Staff and Iron Mountain regarding potential conflicts and other risks, pricing, and other key issues will continue through a contract negotiation process;
Resolved (07.62), the ICANN Board authorizes Staff to negotiate with and, upon reaching an agreement that will adequately protect the interests of registrants, registrars, and other stakeholders, and not exceed $800,000 in first-year costs, engage Iron Mountain Intellectual Property Management, Inc. to perform Registrar Data Escrow services on ICANN's behalf.
- Negotiate an agreement with Iron Mountain that will adequately protect the interests of registrants, registrars, and other stakeholders, and not exceed $800,000 in first-year costs.
- Responsible entity: ICANN Staff, Registrar Liaison Department
- Due date: None provided
- Completion date: 1 November 2007
Other Related Resolutions
- Other resolutions TBD.
- Information on the Registrar Accreditation program as implemented within ICANN is available at: http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/accreditation-process.htm.
- A list of all ICANN-Accredited Registrars is available at: http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/accredited-list.html.
- Information on the Registrar Data Escrow Program, including a model Agreement, is available at http://icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-09nov07.htm.
- This resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.