- Category: Internet Protocols
- Topic: IPv6 Deployment
- Board meeting date: 26 June 2007
- Resolution number:
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-29jun07.htm
- Status: Ongoing
Board expresses support for raising awareness of IPv6 deployment and resolves to work with the Regional Internet Registries and other stakeholders to promote education and outreach.
Whereas, the unallocated pool of IPv4 address space held by IANA and the Regional Internet Registries is projected to be fully distributed within a few years;
Whereas, the future growth of the Internet therefore increasingly depends on the availability and timely deployment of IPv6;
Whereas, the ICANN Board and community agree with the call to action from the Address Supporting Organization and the Number Resource Organization, Regional Internet Registries, the Government Advisory Committee, and others, to participate in raising awareness of this situation and promoting solutions;
The Board expresses its confidence in the Internet community to meet this challenge to its future prospects, and expresses its confidence in the bottom-up, inclusive, stakeholder-driven processes in place to provide any needed policy changes, and;
The Board further resolves to work with the Regional Internet Registries and other stakeholders to promote education and outreach, with the goal of supporting the future growth of the Internet by encouraging the timely deployment of IPv6.
- Provide ongoing support for education and outreach in support of IPv6 deployment.
- Responsible entity: ICANN Community, ICANN Board
- Due date: None specified
- Completion date: Ongoing
Other Related Resolutions
- Board adopted procedure for ICANN Board handling and ratification of Global Policy Proposals, as recorded in the Resolutions of the 15 July 2005 Board Meeting, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-15jul05.htm#p2
- Board directed staff to develop procedures for IPv6 Global Poliocy Proposal, as recorded in the Minutes of the 16 August 2005 Board Meeting, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-16aug05.htm
- Other resolutions TBD
- "Early awareness reports" regarding IPv6 posted on ICANN's website, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/ipv6-report-16may06.htm
- Background reports posted from October 2005 onwards, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/ipv6-report-21oct05.htm
- The resolution did not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.