- Category: gTLDs
- Topic: gTLD Agreement Renewal Processes
- Board meeting date: 10 January 2006
- Resolution number: 06.02
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-10jan06.htm
- Status: Completed
Board authorizes staff to continue renewal negotiations with gTLD registry operators for up to six months.
Whereas, ICANN has been engaged in discussions with gTLD registry operators regarding renewal terms consistent with their existing registry contracts.
Whereas, these negotiations are intended to result in revised new registry agreements for those TLDs, including extended expiration dates and other revised terms to come into line with ICANN's other recent registry agreements.
Whereas, the existing agreements provide that each operator may submit a renewal proposal no later than eighteen months prior to the expiration date, and that ICANN would then have six months to review and discuss the renewal proposal.
Whereas, it may be beneficial for all parties involved to allow for extensions of the deadline for submitting a renewal proposal so that the registry operators will not have to expend resources on developing comprehensive renewal proposals while discussions with ICANN on replacement registry agreements are continuing.
RESOLVED (06.02), the President and the General Counsel are authorized to continue negotiations with any such registry operator (s) in accordance with existing contractual terms, and are authorized to extend the relevant renewal process deadlines as necessary and appropriate for up to six full months, while discussions continue.
- Extend deadlines for renewal negotiations for up to six months.
- Responsible entity: ICANN staff, registry operators
- Due date: None provided
- Completion date: 10 January 06
Other Related Resolutions
- Board Resolution (06.___) approving the renewal agreements for .BIZ, .INFO, .ORG, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-08dec06.htm.
- Other resolutions TBD.
- Proposed new registry agreements between ICANN the operators of the .BIZ, .INFO, and .ORG registries were posted for public information on 27 June 2006, available at: http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-1-27jun06.htm.
- The complete proposed agreements were posted for public comment on 28 July 2006, available at: http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-2-28jul06.htm.
- ICANN posted revised proposed registry agreements including a new restriction on the use of "traffic data" and the acceptance of 10% caps on price increases by the .BIZ, .INFO, and .ORG registry operators on 24 October 2006, available at: http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-24oct06.htm.
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.