- Category: ccTLDs, gTLDs
- Topic: Internationalized Domain Names
- Board meeting date: 27 March 2003
- Resolution number: 03.47, 03.48, 03.49
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-27mar03.htm
- Status: Completed
Board adopts IDN Guidelines, authorizes IDN registrations on the basis of the guidelines, and encourages additional community participation in implementation issues.
Whereas, the Board has repeatedly recognized the importance of adding to the domain-name system Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) capabilities to enhance the accessibility of the domain-name system to all those using non-Roman alphabets;
Whereas, ICANN's agreements with the operators and sponsors of top-level domain registries provide that ICANN authorization is required to begin accepting registrations of domain names with hyphens in the third and fourth positions;
Whereas, a broad range of registries, experts, and other stakeholders in the ICANN community have been working hard for several years to develop registry-level registration policies and rules, in anticipation of the completion of standards-track IDN protocols by the IETF;
Whereas, the participants in the Internationalized Domain Name Registry Implementation Committee (IDN-RIC) have been working together with ICANN staff to develop a commonly agreed statement of Guidelines for the Implementation of Internationalized Domain Names, a draft of which was presented at the ICANN Public Forum on 26 March 2003;
Whereas, collaborative work on the draft Guidelines is continuing, with the affected registries under contract indicating their general agreement with the draft's approach, subject to further editing and communications with the Internet Architecture Board;
Resolved [03.47] that the ICANN Board endorses the IDN implementation approach set forth in the draft Guidelines for the Implementation of Internationalized Domain Names, as they may be amended in further consultation with registry operators or evolve in view of new technical standards, for implementation of IDNs;
Resolved further [03.48] that the President is authorized to implement the Guidelines by authorizing registration of IDNs in registries with agreements with ICANN on the basis of those Guidelines; and
Resolved further [03.49] that the Board recommends the Guidelines to other registries, and encourages broad participation by registries, language experts, and others in consultative, collaborative, community-based processes to study and develop appropriate language-specific IDN registration rules and policies.
- Implement Guidelines in registries with ICANN agreements.
- Responsible entity: President
- Due date: None provided
- Completion date: 20 June 2003
Other Related Resolutions
- 18 February 2004 Resolution 04.15 at: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-18feb04.htm.
- Guidelines for the Implementation of Internationalized Domain Names Version 1.0 were published 20 June 2003 at: http://www.icann.org/en/general/idn-guidelines-20jun03.htm.
- Current guidelines can be found at: http://www.icann.org/en/topics/idn/implementation-guidelines.htm.
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.