- Category: gTLDs
- Topic: Reassignment of .org
- Board meeting date: 22 April 2002
- Resolution number: 02.57, 02.58, 02.59
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-22apr02.htm
- Status: Completed
Board establishes target schedule (subject to change by Board) for requesting, receiving, and evaluating proposals; sets tentative examination fee for proposals.
Whereas, in resolutions 02.36 through 02.39 the Board directed the President to make arrangements for soliciting proposals from organizations seeking to succeed VeriSign, Inc. as the operator of the registry for the .org top-level domain;
Whereas, the the President has recommended a detailed schedule for the submission and consideration of proposals and for the establishment of a fee arrangement;
Resolved [02.57] that the following target schedule is established for requesting, receiving, and evaluating proposals to succeed VeriSign, Inc., as the registry operator for the .org top-level domain:1 May 2002 - Posting of draft Request for Proposal (RFP) materials for Names Council comment and for applicants to begin working on their proposals
13 May 2002 - DNSO Names Council to provide ICANN Secretary any comment on the posted materials
13 May 2002 - Deadline for prospective applicants to submit written questions regarding the draft RFP
20 May 2002 - Final RFP materials posted
24 May 2002 - Written questions from prospective applicants posted with responses
18 June 2002 - Deadline for submission of applications, with tentatively established examination fee to be paid
27 June 2002 - Proposals to be discussed Bucharest ICANN Public Forum. Applicants to make presentations.
28 June 2002 - Board to finally establish examination fee
22 July 2002 - Posting of draft staff report; responses invited
1 August 2002 - Deadline for applicant responses to draft staff report
8 August 2002 - Posting of Final Staff Report and Recommendation
Late August 2002 - Board decision on selection
Resolved [02.58] that the above schedule may be adjusted by future Board resolution or by action of the President to the extent circumstances warrant;
Resolved [02.59] that the President shall require that an examination fee, in the tentative amount of US$35,000, be submitted with each application, with the understanding that at the Bucharest meeting the Board will finally establish the examination fee, not to exceed that amount, with rebates to be made if the final examination fee is less than the tentative examination fee established in this resolution.
- Put into action President's proposed schedule for application and selection of operator of registry for .org TLD.
- Responsible entity: ICANN Staff, President, DNSO Names Council, and Board
- Due date: August 2002
- Completion date: October 2002
- Finalize examination fee.
- Responsible entity: Board
- Due date: At Bucharest meeting
- Completion date: 28 June 2002
Other Related Resolutions
- Resolutions 01.72 and 01.73 - Referral of .org reassignment matter to DNSO to develop policies for selection of successor entity to operate .org TLD: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-04jun01.htm
- Resolutions 02.36, 02.37, 02.38, and 02.39 - Directing President to request proposals for reassignment of .org, present to Board proposal for application fee levels, review applications and assemble report on applications: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-14mar02.htm
- Resolution 02.85 - Establishing final examination fee to be US$29,000: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-28jun02.htm
- Resolutions 02.110, 02.111, 02.112, 02.113, 02.144, and 02.115 - Proposal of Internet Society selected for negotiations to become successor operator of .org: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-14oct02.htm
- Other resolutions TBD
- 7 January 2003 Advisory Concerning .org Transition
- 9 December 2002 IANA Report on Redelegation of the .org Top-Level Domain
- 3 December 2002 .org Agreement Signed; Transition Plans Announced
- 24 October 2002 Proposed ICANN-PIR .org Registry Agreement Posted
- 14 October 2002 ICANN Board Selects New .org Registry Operator
- For further information regarding .org Reassignment (Request for Proposals, Criteria for Assessing Proposals, Index to Applications, ICANN Public Forum, Public Comments, and Evaluation), see Meeting Minutes 14 October 2002: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-14oct02.htm
- ICANN Accra Meeting on Reassignment of .org TLD, posted 26 February 2002: http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/accra/org-topic.htm
- ICANN Stockholm Meeting on Referral of .org Issues to DNSO, posted 3 June 2001: http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/stockholm/org-topic.htm
- ICANN Public Comment Forum on Reassignment of .org TLD: http://forum.icann.org/org/
- May 2001 Registry Agreement with VeriSign, Inc. providing that VeriSign will cease being the registry operator for .org top-level domain as of 31 December 2002:http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agreements/verisign/org-index.htm
- .org Registry Agreement: http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agreements/org/
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.