- Category: International Agreements
- Topic: Agreements with United States Government
- Board meeting date: 30 August 2000
- Resolution number: 00.71
- URL for Board minutes/resolution: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-30aug00.htm
- Status: Completed
Board authorizes the President to enter into Amendment 2 to the ICANN-U.S. Memorandum of Understanding, Amendment 1 to the Cooperative Research and Development Agreement, and a modification to the purchase order for the IANA function.
Whereas, on 25 November 1998 the United States Government entered a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with ICANN, recognizing it as the private-sector, not-for-profit corporation to which various technical coordination tasks for the Internet would be transitioned;
Whereas, the MOU called for ICANN to develop and test various mechanisms to allow stable, private-sector technical coordination during a transition period in which the effectiveness and stability of these mechanisms would be demonstrated;
Whereas, the U.S. Government has subsequently entered into two other agreements with ICANN for provision of services during the transition period: a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) and a purchase order for the IANA function;
Whereas, on 30 June 2000 ICANN submitted its second status report to the US Government under the MOU describing the progress ICANN has made on completing the development and testing tasks identified in the MOU;
Whereas, although the transition period was originally scheduled to be completed by 30 September 2000, it now appears that some transition tasks will remain pending on that date;
Whereas, the U.S. Government has indicated that it is willing to extend the time for ICANN, ccTLD managers and affected governments, the RIRs, the root-server operators, and other stakeholders to complete the tasks for up to one more year;
Whereas, the U.S. Government has proposed amendments to the MOU, CRADA, and the purchase order for the IANA function that (a) adjust the list of ICANN's tasks to reflect progress so far and (b) provide an extension to complete the remaining tasks until 30 September 2001 or sooner if the parties agree that the tasks have been completed;
Whereas, the language of these proposed amendments has been presented to the Board;
RESOLVED [00.71] that the President is authorized to enter an Amendment 2 to the MOU, an Amendment 1 to the CRADA, and a modification 0001 to the purchase order for the IANA function in substantially the form presented to the Board.
- Sign and implement amendments and modifications.
- Responsible entity: Staff
- Due date: None provided
- Completion date: 30 August 2000
Other Related Resolutions
- Copies of the approved amendments and modification available via links in the above resolution text.
- Further amendments to the agreements identified in the resolutions are available at http://www.icann.org/en/general/agreements.htm.
- The resolution does not address funding for the items identified therein.
Explanatory text does not modify or override Resolutions. See Board Resolutions Page for more information.