12:58:23 From Yeşim Saglam - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    Hello, my name is Yeşim Sağlam and I will be monitoring this chat room.  Please note that I will read aloud comments/questions submitted in English within the time set by the Chair of this session.  When submitting a question or comment that you want me to read out loud on the mic,  please start with a <QUESTION> and end with a “</QUESTION>” or <COMMENT> </COMMENT>. Text outside these quotes will be considered part of “chat” and will not be read out loud on the microphone.
12:58:36 From Yeşim Saglam - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    If you wish to speak during this session, raise your hand in Zoom or queue at the aisle microphone as directed.

On-site Participants may pick up a receiver and use their own headphones to listen to interpretation.  Virtual Participants may access the interpretation via the Zoom Toolbar.

You may access all available features for this session in the Zoom Toolbar. 

Please note that chat sessions are being archived and are governed by the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior.  http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/accountability/expected-standards.
13:22:06 From Dave Kissoondoyal (ICANN ALAC) to Everyone:
    Hello everyone. Greetings to both online and onsite participants
13:22:13 From Claudia Ruiz - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    Hello, my name is Claudia Ruiz and I will be monitoring this chat room. Please note that I will read aloud comments/questions submitted in English within the time set by the Chair of this session. When submitting a question or comment that you want me to read out loud on the mic, please start with a <QUESTION> and end with a “</QUESTION>” or <COMMENT> </COMMENT>. Text outside these quotes will be considered part of “chat” and will not be read out loud on the microphone.
13:22:26 From Claudia Ruiz - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    If you wish to speak during this session, raise your hand in Zoom or queue at the aisle microphone as directed.     
        You may access all available features for this session in the Zoom Toolbar.     
        Please note that chat sessions are being archived and are governed by the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior. http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/accountability/expected-standards.
13:22:48 From Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong to Everyone:
    Hello All from Chad) Bonsoir à tous
13:28:02 From Gerardo Martínez Hernández -Aguascalientes, México to Everyone:
    Saludos  a todos desde Aguascalientes, México
13:28:45 From Bill Jouris to Everyone:
    It isn't just languages which do not use the *Latin* script.  More accurately, it is those which do not use the English script.  (There are a couple of hundred languages which use some derivative of the Latin script, but which cannot be written with use the 26 letters used by English.)
13:29:08 From Bill Jouris to Everyone:
    use => just
13:29:12 From Frank Anati to Everyone:
    hi everyone Frank Anati from Ghana 
13:31:12 From Salyou Fanny to Everyone:
    Hi Everyone,Salyou Fanny from Côte d’Ivoire 
13:32:03 From Raymond Mamattah to Everyone:
    Did Edmund say he has been working on IDN for 20 years?
13:32:13 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone:
    yes
13:34:25 From Salyou Fanny to Everyone:
    C’est un bon thème 
14:05:58 From Dave Kissoondoyal (ICANN ALAC) to Everyone:
    Jonathan slides are at https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Meetings+-+Monday%2C+19+September+2022?preview=/202703918/215286045/Demand%20Side%20of%20IDNs%5B4%5D%20%20-%20%20Read-Only.pdf
14:10:06 From Dave Kissoondoyal (ICANN ALAC) to Everyone:
    Access is a big problem in Africa
14:10:14 From Amitabh Singhal to Everyone:
    Hi. 88% using Internet via apps, Not surprising since most connectivity is via the mobile broadband - especially in developing regions.
14:10:43 From Justine Chew to Everyone:
    Thanks for sharing the link to the slides @Dave
14:11:36 From Marc Blanchet to Everyone:
    I guess what Jonathan was talking about for apps are ->Mobile<- Apps. I.e. there is an inherent important point is mobile devices. So if we are talking for example about keyboards, we shall talk about input methods on mobile devices, which is way different than a traditional computer
14:12:24 From Amitabh Singhal to Everyone:
    @marc..good point..
14:13:11 From Bill Jouris to Everyone:
    Got to wonder if the overwhelming larger use of apps is due to the fact that they could get those in Devengari script vs the browsers
14:13:40 From Amrita Choudhury to Everyone:
    So mobiles have local scripts, that is why they use apps more
14:13:48 From Marc Blanchet to Everyone:
    In mobile environments, the large majority of apps are abstracting domain names: they are hidden into how the app access its backend data and else. The apps are actually abstracting the whole Internet web by their own very specific view.
14:14:01 From Amitabh Singhal to Everyone:
    there are apps which allow folks to use the devnagri script and its used pretty frequently now
14:14:16 From Amitabh Singhal to Everyone:
    @Amrita..yes true
14:14:35 From Amrita Choudhury to Everyone:
    yes even mobiles provide local language
14:14:48 From Amrita Choudhury to Everyone:
    and India is majorly a mobile based internet company
14:15:04 From Amrita Choudhury to Everyone:
    Internet country
14:15:07 From Amrita Choudhury to Everyone:
    not company
14:15:50 From Marc Blanchet to Everyone:
    good point from Alan.
14:15:55 From Amitabh Singhal to Everyone:
    yes Amrita…India exemplifies that trend..
14:16:49 From Raymond Mamattah to Everyone:
    Four my local language called Ewe, it is easy to get a digital keyboard in Ewe on the phone, which makes it easy for me to write in my local language. But this is not the same for the PC keyboard.
14:17:20 From Amitabh Singhal to Everyone:
    cost of ownership of device, better affordability, mobile penetration are all factors..that contribute to mobile first economies
14:17:41 From Raymond Mamattah to Everyone:
    For my local language called Ewe, it is easy to get a digital keyboard in Ewe on the phone, which makes it easy for me to write in my local language. But this is not the same for the PC keyboard.
14:17:48 From Alfredo Calderon - VSIG to Everyone:
    How large was the survey?  Did a beta versioin launched first then adapted?  How many surveys taken and completed?
14:19:04 From Amitabh Singhal to Everyone:
    @Raymond..right..thats the trend which will only grow as we look at the next billion and more
14:19:39 From Alfredo Calderon - VSIG to Everyone:
    What was the completion rate of surveys?
14:19:46 From Alfredo Calderon - VSIG to Everyone:
    Any gender identification?
14:21:08 From Shreedeep Rayamajhi to Everyone:
    community resource are important
14:21:19 From Amitabh Singhal to Everyone:
    @Dave, thanks for the link to the sides…useful…
14:21:27 From Alfredo Calderon - VSIG to Everyone:
    A while ago in Canada  an indigenous person from British Columbia tried to register their busiess in  Tinglit language script but was't possible.  I guess all scripts are available
14:22:51 From Alfredo Calderon - VSIG to Everyone:
    How many questions in the survey ? ( sorry i was out of the room for the washroom for a few minutes and i got caught in the hall by the hall monitor:)
14:23:20 From Justine Chew to Everyone:
    @Alfredo, there are 23 scripts covering 37 languages available right not. There is criteria and selection process on what scripts to cover (to include in the Root Zone Label Generation Rules (RZ-LGR)
14:23:30 From Justine Chew to Everyone:
    *right now
14:27:04 From Bill Jouris to Everyone:
    @Alfredo, @Justine, the Latin script should be added the the IDN soon.  It will cover some 200 languages (out of some 400 languages which use variations of the Latin script.)
14:28:13 From Justine Chew to Everyone:
    Yes, @Bill, thanks
14:30:27 From Innocent Adriko to Everyone:
    @Raymond, I actually use stickers on my pc keyboard in order to use the English version.
14:31:28 From Jonathan Zuck to Everyone:
    over 4000 responses
14:31:30 From Yeşim Saglam - ICANN Org to Everyone:
    Thank you all, this meeting is now adjourned.
14:31:31 From Seun Ojedeji to Everyone:
    good session thanks

• No labels