DSDT Summary Minutes and Action Items

19 July 2012

1.  Roll Call and Apologies - Gisella provided the roll call

2. Introduction Welcome and Purpose of Call. (meeting chair/staff/group

CLO: This is one of  the four Drafting Team subgroups to actually draft the work of the ROP WG. As I am currently not able to edit the wiki, I will update the wikis for the DTs regarding their scope and purpose. I have been able to do this for this DT. What we re doing is to ensure that everyone knew the purpose of the different DTs. We expect that the DTs will spend considerable time working intersessionally on their wiki pages. The work will be transferred to the wiki pages. The activity that we will do today is to ensure we have an operational plan and that each of the DTs have a general format and way ahead. There are two proposed penholders for this DT, but we welcome others. We hope that the penholders capture what is discussed on the calls and transferred to the wikis. We also need to appoint a rapporteur who will record the outcome of your deliberations. This reporting will be to the ALAC. The role of the ALAC will be to review, discuss and then approve the work of the DTs.

YA: I would like to be sure that I am following.

Please could you repeat the key points.

CLO: We have created four drafting teams. The purpose of this DT is to cover definition and structure. So all of the ROPs that show how...what the ALAC and its component parts has to do. To make this happen, we need to understand which of the rules you will need to look at and modify. None of them need to be kept in their form. You can rewrite them if you so desire. You need to also decide what aspects of definition and structure of the ALAC are not currently covered in the current ROP. There are two penholders. For this DT, there are two, neither of them are here, so having backup would be useful. There is also a rapporteur.

ED: The purpose of the committee/DT , can we put this in the relevant wiki pages.

CLO: The purposes as written on the wiki pages are very general. The purpose of this DT is to look at the definition and structure of the ALAC and its representatives. As we've previously discussed, we need to draw on and link to the appropriate ...bylaws. We don't have a current understanding of the structure of the ALAC in the current ROPs. For example, the ALAC liaison to the GNSO role is not fully explained.

YA: Could you define again the role of the Pen Holder and what to do for today as they are not in?

CLO: The role of the pen holder is to ensure that, for a meeting, the capture the key points and are to put a draft of text which will best meet the agreement of the team. That text is than subject to the DT Review.

CLO: If anyone would like to be a pen holder of this DT, they can act in this capacity. Are there any volunteers:

Natalia Enciso  

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro

Holly Raiche

CLO: Let me assure you that I will be keen to have the text from this DT in the next 7-10 days

CLO: We are trying to develop language that is understandable to new ICANNers, the average person in the street, etc.

ED: When I was in the NomCom, I was told that I was not representing the regions.

OCL: As the ALAC, our own delegated to the NomCom are to act in the best interest of ICANN.

CLO: We need to make it clear of what the role for a NomCom appointee to the ALAC is expected to do.

OCL: We cannot call it a minimum set of requirements, but should we mention what we desire in an appointee.?

CLO: That would be wise, but rather than put extensive text in our rules, we should link to guidelines so as not to affect the RoPs.

ED: One of the minimum requirements should be the amount of time they have been involed so they have a network within ICANN, a level of understanding, etc.

OCL: I think we should also leave it to the ALAC to make its own judgement.

HU: The At-Large call for At-Large Delegates to the NomCom will go out Tuesday, 24 July.

CLO: If we have language by this time, it will be quite useful.

CLO: When one becomes part of the ALAC, your duty is to act in the best interests of ALAC and the At-Large community.

CLO: The NomCom appointees should be engaged with the At-Large and they should not be necessarily directed by the region in which they are representing.

CLO: The regional representatives vote on procedure, not necessarily content.

CLO: I would like the style of writing to be clearly established. Should we have explanatory text at the beginning of each section? Should we stick with the way things are written at the moment?

OCL: Should we have the suggested structure, but also a document which fully explains/expands upon subsections so the companion document can answer any ambiguities.

CLO:  A cross of  blend of styles would be essential.

YA: Drafting teams are not based on RoPs.

CLO: We are need to work with the other drafting teams to ensure the style of the text is consistency.

AI: Staff to send out a call for rapporteur for the DSDT.

• No labels