This is the ATLAS II working group (WG) charter for the At-Large Summit II (ATLAS II) adopted by consensus in meeting 14.05.13. Its main purpose is help organize the efforts into a coherent direction to move this endeavor forward. Comments are always very welcome.

Organizing Committee Team Members

Region     
NameOfficeAFAPEUNALA
Eduardo DíazCo-chair    X 
Olivier Crepin-LeblondCo-chair/ALAC Chair   X  
Cheryl Langdon-OrrCo-chair/ROI Chair  X   
Dev Anand TeelucksinghCo-chair    X
Tijani Ben JemmaCo-chair/Events ChairX    
Wolf LudwigCo-chair/Survey Chair  X  

Charter: 

1. SURVEY: responsible for putting together a survey to determine the global and regional issues within the At-Large Structures (ALSes) as well as capacity building needs. This group should be also responsible for designing, in conjunction with the ROI group, a feedback form to capture summit impressions from attending ALSes.
    1. Suggested parameters: Answering the survey should be mandatory for those ALSes interested in participating. The survey could include a section requesting feedback from ALSes on how to improve their inclusion into ICANN work, communication among themselves and between themselves and their RALO leadership, and the ALAC. It could also request ideas for outreach.
    2. OUTCOME: a list of major topics and issues to be discussed during plenary conferences, workshops and Regional General Assemblies (RGAs) which will help drive the event schedule and its content. Also, it should generate a feedback form to capture summit feedback from attending ALSes.

2. EVENTS: responsible for assembling the summit schedule with the help of the Survey WG. In addition, the WG should suggest recommendations to ALSes for ICANN specific events and meetings to attend to during the ICANN General Meeting (IGM).
    1. Suggested parameters: The schedule should include plenary conferences, workshops, RGAs, and the Showcase event. This can be supported by the creation of workshops designed to immerse ALSes in ICANN specific policy work so they are better prepared to understand some of the work being done during the IGM. All this can be augmented by identifying a group of mentors ready to answer any policy question and/or provide recommendations for meetings to go to during the IGM. In fact, mentors could go to some of the IGM meetings hand-in-hand with ASLes to help them sift through the discussions.
    2. OUTCOME: a schedule of all summit activities that will help drive sponsor engagement and some of the logistics necessary to support it.

3. SPONSORS: responsible for setting a dollar amount objective and actively pursue sponsors to reach it. An engagement template presentation should be developed to be used as a tool for the introduction to the event and engage sponsors.
    1. OUTCOME:  a list of all sponsors and pledged money.

4. LOGISTICS: responsible for coordinating all summit logistics such as keeping track of all attending ALSes, hotel, travel, conference rooms, interpretation services, remote connectivity, printed material, mailing lists, Wikis, invoicing and summit budget.
    1. OUTCOME:  event support and coordination with all WGs 

5. PUBLIC RELATIONS: responsible for coordinating all media tours, press kits, in-house promotion and pre-recording of lead figures around ICANN in support of the ATLAS II effort. This team should also coordinate the recording and dissemination of testimonials during and after the meeting.
    1. OUTCOME: event public relations support in coordination with all WGs 

6. ROI: responsible for acquiring inputs from all working groups to identify tangible and visible returns for the amount of money that will be invested in the summit.
    1. OUTCOME:  post-summit report including tangible and visible returns, lessons learned and a next steps road map plan to open up new opportunities for At-Large.

5 Comments

1. Email received from Baudouin SCHOMBE @ 4/2/13 as follows:

---0---

I can not post on the wiki but here are my views.

This is a very good description spots truly comprehensive, concise and precise.

At what level is the interaction between ATLAS II and RALO? If yes, how does this interaction. If not, why?

I suggest that the marketing of this event can start now during national meetings, in regional, regional and global (, IGF, WSIS 2013, World day of telecoms and information society in May 17….).

The Als can be empowered to initiate this media campaign in their outreach and mobilization according to their ability.

With a little background made available to them, it may also be possible to mobilize local sponsors.

SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN

Téléphone mobile:+243998983491
    email                  : b.schombe@gmail.com
    skype                 : b.schombe
    blog                    : http://akimambo.unblog.fr
    Site Web             : www.ticafrica.net

---0---

2. (The following comment was circulated via the WG list:) 
    Thanks for your inputs or brainstorming, Roberto and Baudouin, below. As I tried
    to summarize at our last WG call, organizing a prior survey was decided for two
    reasons:

- a formal and procedural one: To assure a relevant to high return quorum for
    this survey, ALSes were "obliged" to participate in this to "qualify" for ICANN
    funding to the Mexico 2009 Summit incl. the ICANN meeting held inline.

- an agenda setting and content one: When we started our first summit1 prep.
    discussions in summer 2008 we realized immediately that there are various ways
    to develop an agenda for it. A top-down approach by some active insiders from
    ALAC and RALOs to define issues and priorities to be discussed and programmed
    for Mexico. This could have been done (or misunderstood) in a sort of
    "training" or "capacity building" manner by prescribing what topics and issues
    participants need to talk about. OR and as we agreed at the time: To follow a
    bottom-up approach by including our members into this agenda setting process
    for Mexico. And when we drafted this first survey, we were simply asking them
    for *their* ideas, concerns, key issues and interests (by offering a variety of
    options in our questions) to be considered for the agenda and program outline.

As the program coordinator at the time, I made a listing of topics from our
    first insider discussions in the WG and I compared it afterwards with the
    outcomes / results of the survey -- the Summit1 WG would have set a program
    *for* the ALS participants but not *with* them. Finally, the Mexico program
    proofed to be a solid compromise between both considering and including various
    community concerns.

I think our RALO communities have evolved, partly matured and grown since then.
    Therefore I believe, such a Summit2 Survey (after almost five years) will not
    only be interesting for the narrow Summit2 org. process and agenda but also in
    a broader sense to learn about the day-to-day concerns and thematic interests
    of our members -- and to compare it again with what we (insiders) usually do
    and discuss at ALAC and RALO meetings (monthly calls, GAs etc.).

The points Roberto listed below are very important for the drafting and design
    of the next Summit2 Survey -- thanks! As a Survey Manager in my previous life I
    know that one can design any survey in a "closed" way and thus constraining
    options and outcomes. OR we can design it in a most possibly *open* manner by
    being perceivable for surprising results. I always tended to and argued for the
    latter! Your ideas and comments are welcome.
  3. Hi All

Not sure  what the purpose of this event
    What is the  SMART  Results Based Management  metrics

Glenn

1. Glenn:

Please check out this document: https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/39420685/proposal.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1365314528000

It explains the purpose. Also, there is a large discusion regarding selecting a theme for the summit. Check out the transcript from the last ATLAS 2 meeting ( https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/41880025/20130430_ATLAS2+copy.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1368133983000) where some of these concerns were touched. 

The Survey and ROI groups are tasked to work on the SMART results, even though it may not be called as such.

Hope this helps.

-ed

4. Eduardo buenos días.

De manera especial me ofrezco, para trabajar en las actividades relacionadas con eventos.

Quedo atento

Antonio Medina Gómez

Asociación Colombiana de Usuarios de Internet

amedinagomez@gmail.com

Lacralo