Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the ALAC Monthly call on Tuesday 22 January 2013 at 1500 UTC
  Gisella Gruber-White:Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/UQFlAg
  Garth Bruen:It's quiet here....
  Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome Garth - we will start the call in 25min
  Oksana Prykhodko:Hi, everybody)
  Natalia Enciso:Hello!
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:Hi everyone
  Ron Sherwood:Hi everyone
  Eduardo Diaz:¡Hola a todos!
  Maureen Hilyard:Hi everyone
  Garth Bruen:@Gisella, I had an earlier email link which had the meeting an hour eariler.
  Julie Hammer:Good morning everyone!
  Gisella Gruber-White:Hi Garth - I will check that
  Julie Hammer:Hard to hear for me too
  Garth Bruen:I'll see if I can find it for you
  Maureen Hilyard:Both you and Tijani are very clear Olivier
  Heidi Ullrich:Hi All
  Fatima Cambronero:hello everyone
  Yaovi Atohoun:Yes I can hear you Tijani
  Evan Leibovitch:greetings and salutations
  Garth Bruen:For the community's benefit I have been collecting issues and concerns about travel assistance in a supplimental report: https://community.icann.org/display/NARALO/NARALO+Chair+Reports+on+Travel+Assistance
  Garth Bruen:Feel free to send or post any issues or questions about travel or travel assistance.
  Fatima Cambronero:I am on the Spanish channel as well
  Sebastien:And Sébastien on line too
  Garth Bruen:The goal is to share solutions and offer a common path for getting problems resolved in the future.
  Fatima Cambronero:thanks @Olivier
  Gisella Gruber-White:@ Olivier - I will update all participants
  Gisella Gruber-White:I am speaking but you do not hear
  Sivasubramanian M:yes Gisella we can hear you
  Heidi Ullrich:Olivier and I didn't hear you.
  Ron Sherwood:I could hear you
  Heidi Ullrich:AIs from 20 December; https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/ALAC+2012.12.20+-+Action+Items+EN
  Heidi Ullrich:Please note that as a transcript will be available within 48 hours, staff will only be taking Action Items and noting any motions approved.
  Sebastien:PPC will have a meeting on hte 31st of January and that one topic
  Garth Bruen:@Gisella, I just sent it, it was in the TinyURL from the reminder sent last night for this meeting. Thanks
  Gisella Gruber-White:@ Garth - thank you
  Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome Winthrop
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Hi Winthrop  slightly later than the APRALO one earlier  for you...
  Winthrop Yu - PH:Yes, good evening all.  Thank you for the welcome!
  Yaovi Atohoun:I would like us to make difference between University and studenst associations
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Just got disconnected :-(
  Gisella Gruber-White:@ Cheryl - dialling you back
  Sivasubramanian M:Even when a non-commercial organization such as an University wants to be an ALS, for the sake of greater diversity, we could issue a general guideline that the organization keeps membership open to those outside the organization, so as to have a balance as a heterogeneous group
  Natalia Enciso:can you call me back, please?
  Heidi Ullrich:Hi Natalia, I'll ask Adigo
  Natalia Enciso:thanks Heidi
  Heidi Ullrich:Welcome, Winthrop! Looking forward to seeing you in Beijing!
  Sivasubramanian M:Tejani's comment could be true of Governments and commercial organization.
  Sivasubramanian M:There are cases of Governments funding a non-governmental organization, there are also commercial establishments funding certain non-governmental organizations, some times with a narrow purpose
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes the key issue is the control  NOT  just funding from a Giv ( or industry for that matter is the key  (and is in fac one reason why DD  in the application review phase is so important)
  Winthrop Yu - PH:Thank you all for the welcome.  Yes, we'll be meetiing face-to-face in Beijing.  It may interest you to know that there will be another  Filipino at Beijing -- the spectrum regulator from the Marshall Islands is also Filipino.
  Wolf Ludwig:Sorry for being late!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Hi Wolf
  Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome Wolf
  Heidi Ullrich:Nathalie from staff has returned from maternity leave and will be resuming her support responsibilities. She has joined the ALAC call. Welcome back, Nathalie!
  Yaovi Atohoun:Welcome back Nathalie
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Indeed  WELCOME  BACK!
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Thank you!! Am delighted to be back!
  Sebastien:Board will have a retreat and a meeting at the end of january and first day of February in LA
  Sivasubramanian M:@CLO Often control of an organization from outside is not easily visible
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:indeed
  Heidi Ullrich:PD page: https://community.icann.org/display/alacpolicydev/At-Large+Policy+Development+Page
  Evan Leibovitch:There were three different issues coming out of the TMCH meeting:
  Evan Leibovitch:1) The actual request to enable greater protection of trademark holders
  Evan Leibovitch:2) The objective determination of what is policy and what is implementation
  Evan Leibovitch:3) Fadi's attempt to develop a lightweight process for getting quick decisions on some issues that still consults the MSM
  Wolf Ludwig:@Staff: I am surprised to learn on the agenda (point 4a) that the new ALS from Uruguay becomes a member of EURALO -- perhaps one of the old German colonies? :-))
  Yaovi Atohoun:I think that Heidi just corrected that when presenting
  Wolf Ludwig:Sorry, I missed that ;-)
  Heidi Ullrich:Yes, sorry Wolf! I'll made that correction now.
  Wolf Ludwig:Well, we wouldn't reject them ;-)
  Gisella Gruber-White:@ Natalia - we are calling you again
  Evan Leibovitch:+1 OCL on consumer trust issue
  Evan Leibovitch:There has been discussion going on in the ALAC list on the WHOIS privacy issue.
  Heidi Ullrich:Staff would be happy to schedule a Whois briefing webinar.
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:AI: Staff to work with the Chair of the WHOIS WG to set-up a Webinar on WHOIS
  Heidi Ullrich:Olivier, should this webinar be scheduled in the next two weeks?
  Heidi Ullrich:or mid-Feb?
  Fatima Cambronero:thanks @Heidi, @Olivier and @Carlton
  Heidi Ullrich:Good suggestion, Fatima!
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Really up to Carlton's schedule - when it's best for his
  Fatima Cambronero:thanks @Heidi!
  Garth Bruen:FYI, in terms of .COM and Verisign, a Thick WHOIS would fundamentally change their duties, workload and obligations.
  Avri Doria:not only diminishes the privacy, it  also increases the danger in some case.
  Garth Bruen:Any arguments by Verisign must be shot through that view. They are less-likely about privacy.
  Yaovi Atohoun:Just got disconnected
  Garth Bruen:Because .COM is the largest single gTLD Verisign would then have to collect ALL the existing data and MAKE IT UNIFORM. At the moment there is NO STANDARD for .COM WHOIS data.
  Garth Bruen:To be fair, this is a monumental task for which Verisign likely wants more money.
  Garth Bruen:As far as what this means for U.S. control, yes, it is true that a Thick WHOIS would place MOST of the Internet's WHOIS data within the U.S.
  Avri Doria:However, the privacy issues differ in thick and thin
  Avri Doria:The additional ingredient is Local Politcal Reality.
  Carlton Samuels:I would ask staff to organize a webinar for early Feb
  Garth Bruen:But then would it really? Where is the data actually stored????
  Oksana Prykhodko:+1 Avri for Local Political Reality
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:perhaps several  webinars are needed given the complexity of issues related to WHOIS
  Heidi Ullrich:Tijani, is this AI correct? AI: The issue of Whois is to be added as an issue to be addressed by the Capacity Building WG.
  Garth Bruen:On the flip side, a Thick WHOIS for .COM would significantly reduce Registrar issues. it would preclude WHOIS obfuscation and level of service expectations. Also simplifiy UDRP.
  Heidi Ullrich:There are now 5 comments that have been received on the R3 White Paper: http://forum.icann.org/lists/at-large-r3-white-paper/
  Carlton Samuels:@Privacy Thick vs Thin?  Is that about 'balkanised' access rules or on whom the requirement falls for maintaining access
  Gisella Gruber-White:@ Tijani - we are calling you back
  Carlton Samuels:Or, mediated collection of data; give the several jurisdictions the right to decide what to collect?
  Heidi Ullrich:The R3 workshop is scheduled for Monday, 8 April
  Garth Bruen:For those wanting absolute secrecy in WHOIS, there are of course options. .NU for example provides ZERO WHOIS information.
  Sivasubramanian M:Alan, did you say Microsoft has 450,000 defensive registrations, on a previous agenda item?
  Carlton Samuels:@Dev: Actually, the issue isn't all that complex.  The policy says a) what to collect b) How to make it available c) Who has access rights and the extent of those rights
  Carlton Samuels:@Garth: This is usually my surprise - and the hole in argument - for those committed to the idea of 'respect for national laws for WHOIS; ccTLDs ought to be a part of that  solution framework. I'm thinking maybe because one may have to give up something to gain something.
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:well privacy issues related to WHOIS is I think more complex. Again and again, there are privacy concerns raised when user information collected is "re-purposed" or re-shared in an manner that was not apparent to the user
  Alan Greenberg 2:On Whois, a disturbing article with a lot of merit (in my mind) from the Chair of the Whois RT - http://news.dot-nxt.com/2013/01/16/deja-whois#comment-7143
  Gisella Gruber-White:Rinalia has joined the call
  Garth Bruen:@Carlton, the irony is that .NU is run from the U.S. - oops!
  Heidi Ullrich:Welcome, Rinalia!
  Evan Leibovitch:Thanks, Olivier. At least I got a preview of the Beijing breathing experience while travelling
  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:I need to consult Edmon
  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:He is lead on that one
  Carlton Samuels:@Alan: I saw it.  And to be, not disturbing at all.  Emily is a sensible person and she knows when 'she's getting tossed'!
  Heidi Ullrich:@Rinalia, please could you let staff know if you would like a briefing call on this PC?
  Gisella Gruber-White:The recording as well as the transcripts (EN, FR and ES) have been posted
  Oksana Prykhodko:I read today about new ICANN Speakers Bureau. What does it mean? How can it help us to understand post-WCIT situation?
  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:@Heidi, we need to see if there is community demand for it.  Once that has been ascertained, I will let staff know.
  Heidi Ullrich:Thanks, Rinalia.
  Alan Greenberg 2:@Siva Not necessarily defensive registration. All we can see is the number of registrations that use the same e-mail contact address. On looking now, I see the current number is 88,000 (http://whois.domaintools.com/microsoft.com). Not sure what is different from last time I looked. Will need to look into it later.
  Heidi Ullrich:There is a post-WCIT discussion workspace: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/Post-WCIT+Webinar+-+Discussion+Workspace+-+January+2013
  Gisella Gruber-White:Post-WCIT Webinar page: https://community.icann.org/x/8oRZAg
  Carlton Samuels:@Emily: I attended a lot of the public WHOIS RT and my views were even directly solicited. That Final Report was a monumental achievement in adept diplomacy and some very incisive work by Emily herself
  Carlton Samuels:@Oksana:  It means we now have a process to engage ICANN in providing policy expertise for local engagement; such as the policy discussions being planned or ongoing in the Ukraine
  Oksana Prykhodko:@Carlton We urgently need such expertise!
  Avri Doria:you have to at least communicate with the hinterlands of the ALSes, that would be a start.
  Alan Greenberg 2:@Carlton, yes, but in my mind, taking that work and tossing it *IS* the disturbing part.
  Oksana Prykhodko:We are working to organize round table in Ukrainian Parliament. Can we get ICANN speaker for it?
  Avri Doria:Other than academy we need just constant 'small bite' communications /invitations to all of the ALSes, and their members
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:@Oksana  request form is here  http://www.icann.org/en/contact/speakers
  Oksana Prykhodko:@Cheryl Thank you
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:the announcement is linked off the ICANN main web page
  Heidi Ullrich:I've made a requests to staff to translate the announcement and request form in the 5 UN langugages.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Excellent  Heidi  THANKS
  Heidi Ullrich:ROP WG Workspace: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Rules+of+Procedure+Working+Group+Members
  Alan Greenberg:ESADT Elections, Selections and Appointments
  Carlton Samuels:@Alan on the treatment of the WHOIS Final RT: +1.  BTW, the 'direct fixer' model is still not on the road.  FWIW, I applied for inclusion but nothing more from ICANN other than to acknowledge the applciation.
  Avri Doria:27.7 The issues in ESADT that I call Suffrage for ALSes.  thank you CLO for the balanced discussion of the need for At-large community discussion of the suffrage issue. to add the problem of the basic membership in the process was unfortuante but perhaps necessary.
  Wolf Ludwig:Sorry, I have to leave -- have another call tonight and things to do in between. Thanks and good by all!
  Heidi Ullrich:Talk to you later, Wolf.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:but we need ti move onto getting the ROPs updated  ASAP  then  immeadiatly undertake  the electorate review  matters
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Happy to do a Sunday 7th session
  Heidi Ullrich:90 minutes will be allocated to this topic.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:BUT  note my existing  commitments  for that Sunday.
  Gisella Gruber-White:Yaovi is back
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Agreed Alan
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Agreed  AGAIN Alan
  Heidi Ullrich:Yaovi is saying he belives that the work should be done before Beijing.
  Carlton Samuels:@Alan: +1.  
  Eduardo Diaz:Could not understand Yaovi?
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:also agree with Alan
  Natalia Enciso:I have to leave now. Have a nice day
  Carlton Samuels:Rehashing f2f only takes away time from progressing the matter.
  Heidi Ullrich:Sorry to those on ES and FR. The audio is not good enough on Yaovi's line to interpret.
  Julie Hammer:Just noticed in my diary that Sunday 7th is WORLD HEALTH DAY!!!  Hope this is a good omen for the Workshop!!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:indeed1
  Heidi Ullrich:RG Workspace: https://community.icann.org/display/newgtldrg/At-Large+New+gTLD+Review+Group+Workspace
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Thanks  for this  update Dev  amd can I complement your WG for their careful and thoughtful processes  and advice on all this... Very professional approach indeed quite the benchmark IMO
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:How the ALAC can object to a new gTLD application PDF at http://bit.ly/how-ALAC-files-objection-to-new-gTLD
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:new gTLD dashboard : http://bit.ly/newgtld
  Avri Doria:Alan, the review  might be a good question forn the ANgWG
  Carlton Samuels:@Alan: Can we place that as a "Review of the RG process'?
  Carlton Samuels:@Avri:  +1
  Heidi Ullrich:At-Large ATRT2 Endorsement S-C: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+ATRT+2+ALAC+Endorsement+Process+Workspace
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:agree with Alan
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Avri, Carlton
  Fatima Cambronero:my call is dropped
  Oksana Prykhodko:I would like to let you know that I applied to ATRT2 as independent expert
  Gisella Gruber-White:Apologies - Interpretation is NOT possible due to the static
  Fatima Cambronero:ok, thanks @Gisella
  Gisella Gruber-White:@ Fatima - calling you back
  Fatima Cambronero:no problem Gisella, I am on AD now
  Alan Greenberg:Expert application should not be an issue.
  Alan Greenberg:There are other such candidates.
  Oksana Prykhodko:I can not understand Rinalia, sorrz)
  Oksana Prykhodko:Could zou please write in chat_
  Alan Greenberg:Rinalia said that the experts are not related to any ALAC action.
  Oksana Prykhodko:_
  Oksana Prykhodko:@Alan thank you
  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:@Oksana, Only individuals who applied to be considered as the ALAC Representative to the ATRT2 is subject to the endorsement process.  Those who apply under Independent Expert do not need to be endorsed.
  Oksana Prykhodko:thank you
  Carlton Samuels:@Tijani:  What we mean to say is that the institutions or groups would not lose the franchise
  Gisella Gruber-White:Oksana - we are calling you again
  Carlton Samuels:@Tijani & Alan: I agree.  All must be the same.
  Heidi Ullrich:At-Large Meetings in Beijing: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Meetings+-+Sunday%2C+7+April+2013+Workspace
  Carlton Samuels:@Alan: I thought so but it was important for the distinction to be placed on the record for this meeting
  Alan Greenberg:Carlton and Tijani, I would phrase that differently. Not "must be the same" but "would be good if it were the same".
  Alan Greenberg:iF WE WANT A "MUST", SHOULD BE IN THE RULES, AND i DON'T THINK THAT IS NECESSARY.
  Carlton Samuels:@Alan: :-) so noted.
  Alan Greenberg:Sorry for screaming. Stuck caps lock!
  Oksana Prykhodko:thank you< I am back)
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:that uppercase CAPS line gave me the shivers
  Alan Greenberg:But not the "I"s were lower case. Shows how bashful I am.
  Rinalia Abdul Rahim:heidi pls
  Alan Greenberg:Not = NOTE
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:The French title for the session on 1400-1600 Monday session is different from the English and Spanish versions
  Heidi Ullrich:Not officially translated yet, Dev
  Alan Greenberg:@Heidi, not a bad translation, but a completely differnet subject...
  Heidi Ullrich:Let me look!
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:@Heidi as Alan said -  its a different title completely
  Evan Leibovitch:don't talk tempertature. It's still snowing in Toronto.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:lost audio
  Eduardo Diaz:80 F in Puerto Rico
  Heidi Ullrich 2:I see it is the wrong title! Sorry!
  Sivasubramanian M:> 2 hours :-)
  Alan Greenberg:-26 forecast for tonight here.  Up from original forecast of -28
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:not worth calling me back I guess thiugh I appear to be still connected
  Heidi Ullrich 2:At Large/APRALO Mesa redonda de discussion de "Modelo de partes interesadas"
  Eduardo Diaz:Gracias y bye
  Oksana Prykhodko:Thank you! Good bye!
  Fatima Cambronero:thanks to all, bye
  Carlton Samuels:Bye all
  Julie Hammer:Thanks, Bye!
  Ron Sherwood:Bye all
  Winthrop Yu - PH:G'morn :)
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye
  Evan Leibovitch:Brrrrr
  Matt Ashtiani:bye all, thank you!
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Thanks everyone., take care!
  Heidi Ullrich 2:bye

• No labels