ALAC Meeting 28 February 2012
Participants:
EN: Olivier Crepin Leblond, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Ron Sherwood, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Yaovi Atohoun, Jean Jacques Subrenat, Pastor Peters, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Sandra Hoferichter, Alan Greenberg, Yrjo Lansipuro, Ganesh Kumar, Edmon Chung, Dev Anand Teelucksingh,  Wolf Ludwig, Oksana Prykhodko, Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro, Edouardo Diaz, Carlton Samuels, Maureen Hilyard, Evan Leibovitch, Rudi Vansnick, Avri Doria
ES: Sergio Salinas Port0, Natalia Enciso, 
FR: None
Apologies: Cintra Sooknanan, Jose Arce, Titi Akinsanmi
Staff: Heidi Ullrich, Matt Ashtiani, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber
Interpreters: Sabrina, Veronica on ES and Camila, Claire on French 
Summary Notes
Feb-28-2012
1. Agenda was adopted
2. Roll was was held
3. AIs were reviewed
4. Status of the current ALS applicants was discussed
OCL: It is great to see so many new ALS Applications. However, looking at the Regional Advice, some Applicants have not been given a positive recommendation. This really shows just how firm the due diligence is and that there are strict requirmeents to join.
SSP: We need to review the application status carefully
CS: I wanted to make two observations: 1 - To qualify, I support in part was Sergio has said. In out part of the world, we may not be directed by gov't but we must work with gov't.  I am concerned by the participation within the Policy Discussions. We need to look at various aspects of this situation - quorum, metrics, participation, etc. 
JJS: We shoudl not the difference between gov't approval and gov't control. I do not see an issue with approval, but I do with control.
5.  Reports – Olivier (2 min)
OCL: Julie Hammer will now to our liaison to the SSAC
CLO: I have submitted my monthly report. I have also edited the monthly report page. I believe the ALAC should consider making the Metrics WG to be a sub-committee of the RoP WG as the work of one really does cross with the other. It may even be helpeful to have the same people or a similar group of people. 
TBJ: I think that the WG has to chose their own leadership. We have already agreed on CLO to be the Chair and, within the WG, we can decide the remainder of the leaderships positions.
AG: The WG Chair is looking to see if the GNSO can vote on this matter in CR - Restricting the use of the Olympic and Red Cross names. 
EL: There are two specific issues to deal with this - the two particular set of names that are being reserved. I am happy to develop a Statement on this subject for the ALAC to review in CR.
-this suggestion was supported by ST, ED, OCL, CS
AI: Evan Leibovitch is to consult his colleagues in the NCSG and then work on a draft Statement about the substance and process related to the reservation of TLDs under current consideration by the GNSO Drafting Team.
6.  Policy Advice Development Calendar -- Tijani, Olivier (20 min)
IDN Variant Issues Project – Proposed Project Plan for Next Steps - Deadline: 18 March 2012 - Edmon to hold then Pen
AI: The IDN Variant WG will discuss the "IDN Variant Issues Project – Proposed Project Plan for Next Steps" and determine if they will be drafting a Statement on this subject. 
WHOIS Policy Review Team Draft Report  - No Statement
.CAT WHOIS Proposed Changes - No Statement
Defensive Applications for New gTLDs  - No Statement
Further Bylaw Changes Following Adoption of Revised Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Policy Development Process (PDP) - No Statement
Draft Roadmap to Implement SAC 051 - No Statement
Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy Part B Policy Development Process – Recommendation 8 Concerning Standardizing and Clarifying WHOIS Status Messages - No Statement
Interim Report on Support Significantly Interested Parties fo rccTLD Delegation or Redelegation Requests - No Statement at this time, unless someone steps forward with a concern
Draft Advice Letter on Consumer Trust, Consumer Choice, and Competition - To be discussed in Costa Rica
7. Ratification of the ALAC/At-Large Policy Advice Development (PAD) process - Olivier (10 min)
OCL: I invite all of you to have a look at the diagrams
TBJ: Thank you Heidi and Staff. 
DAT: Gave an update on the CR Events. 
9. Development of At-Large Objection Process - Avri and Olivier (15 min)

AD: Avri gave a brief overview of the Development and Process of Review
10. At-Large Improvements Taskforce: Next Steps - Cheryl (10 min)
CLO: Cheryl gave a quick update of the work that has been done in the Taskforce.
OCL: As a reminder, there will be a session on this topic in Costa Rica. 
11. At-Large ICANN Academy Ad Hoc WG: Next Steps - Sandra (10 min)
no update at this time.
12. On-Line Capacity Building within ICANN - Sala (10 min)
ST: ST gave an update on the On-Line Capacity Building within ICANN. Specifically, penetration rate across the RALOs, capacity building, outreach, etc.

• No labels