Positions Open for selections in 2016

PositionCurrent Holder of PositonTerm being selected

ALAC  Member (RALO)

Holly Raiche  (eligible for re-selection)

2016 AGM - 2018 AGM

Chair

Siranush Vardanyan  (eligible for re-selection)

2016 AGM - 2018 AGM

Vice  Chair

Ali AlMeshal  (eligible for re-selection)

2016 AGM - 2018 AGM

Secretariat (this is a discretionary appointment)

ISOC HK /Pavan Budhrani  (eligible for re-appointment)

2016 AGM - 2017 AGM

APRALO Leadership Team Selections

The following positions required a suitable Regional Leader to be appointed to serve in the 2016-2018 APRALO Leadership Team (AP-LT)

1.     An ALAC Representative for 2 year term ending at the AGM 2018

2.     The RALO Chair for a 2 year term ending at  the AGM 2018

3.     A Vice Chair to serve a 2 year term ending at the AGM 2018

4.     The Secretariat will be appointed for the 2016-2017 Term. This is a discretionary appointment

*Please note that the following positions will also be appointed: 

NomCom Selectee for the Asia-Pacific Region will also be appointed for the 2016-2017 Term.

Selection Timetable for 2016 APRALO Leadership Members 

• 26 April - Announcement of call for nominations and Nominee's Statement.*
  • 26 April - 9 May  - Nomination period (nominations accepted for 10 working days).
  • 16 May - Deadline for nomination acceptances
  • 18 May - 25 May 2015 - Elections (If required, elections will begin no later than one week after the deadline for nomination acceptances and end no later than two weeks after that deadline).
  • 2016 AGM [ ICANN 57 ] - Newly elected ALAC representative shall be seated on the ALAC at the ALAC Wrap Up Session during the 2016 AGM .
*NOTES ON NOMINATIONS 
  1. All nominees are expected to submit a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and must also complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).
  2. No one who is currently serving on the Nominating Committee may be nominated for the ALAC. See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en#VII-8

RELEVANT RULES OF PROCEDURES 

The following extract of APRALO Rules of Procedure are relevant to this process:

*Section D: Selections, Elections and Appointments*

*28. General Provisions*

28.1 According to the ICANN by-laws, the APRALO appointments, and selections should be made wherever possible by Consensus, but failing that, elections can always be used and the methodology for such is outlined in these RoP.

28.2 Elections and selections can take place by electronic mail, online ballot, written ballot, or any other convenient and accurate means that are deemed to provide appropriate degree of confidentiality.

* 29 Procedures for the Selection of Leaders and the APRALO Leadership Team*

*29.1 Ordinary Leadership selections*

29.1.1 Ordinary selections of the APRALO Chair and Vice Chair(s) shall be held so as to have the new selections prior to the start of the end of June each year. The selection should preferably be completed  at least three weeks prior to the start of the June/July ICANN Meeting to facilitate travel arrangements IF the selectee is expected to attend that ICANN Meeting. They are expected however to attend  the ICANN Meeting were the ICANN AGM is held and where they will effectively 'take their seats' for the roles that are appointed to.

CRITERIA FOR CANDIDATES

•  Participation in APRALO and ALAC meetings and activities.
  •  Knowledge of ICANN's structure and functions, including knowledge of its SO/ACs.
  •  Willingness to spend the time that is expected of NomCom members      (noting  that  there are weekly calls of over 2 hours each  week)
  •  Ability to retain  confidential information
  •  Good  analytical skills. Human resources background is considered useful.

Nominations:

Self-nominations are welcome. Self-nominations are deemed to also act as formal acceptance of 'nomination'.

The following APRALO Leadership Team positions will be open:

Nominations for APRALO Representative to the ALAC (AGM 2016-AGM 2018)

Role Previously Held By

Nominee

Nominated By

Supported By

Date Nominee Accepted

Nominee's StatementResult

Holly  Raiche

Holly RaicheMaureen Hilyard Satish Babu, Kaili Kan, Pavan Budhrani, Nadira Alaraj, Yannis Li

04-29

selected by acclamation

Nominations for APRALO Chair Position (AGM 2016 - 2018)

Role Previously Held By

Nominee

Nominated By

Supported By

Date Nominee Accepted

Results

Siranush VardanyanSiranush VardanyanMaureen Hilyard

Satish Babu

Kaili Kan

Pavan Budhrani

Nadira Alaraj

Yannis Li

04-29

selected by acclamation

Nominations for APRALO Vice-Chair Position (AGM 2016-AGM 2018)

Role Previously Held By

Nominee

Nominated By

Supported By

Date Nominee Accepted

Results

Ali  AlMeshal

Ali AlMeshalMaureen Hilyard

Satish Babu, Amal R. Al-saqqaf, Kaili Kan, Pavan Budhrani, Nadira Alaraj, Yannis Li

04-29

selected by acclamation

APRALO Secretariat Position (2016-2017)*

(APRALO ROPs V 1.4 following the original Operating Principles) 

Role Previously Held By

Nominee

Nominated By

Supported By

Date Nominee Accepted

Results

Pavan Budhrani  Pavan BudhraniAPRALO Leadership Team

Satish Babu,

Kaili Kan

Pavan Budhrani

Nadira Alaraj

Yannis Li

04-29

appointed by acclamation  

*This is a discretionary appointment

ALAC Voting Delegates to the NomCom (2016-2017)

See criteria for Selection of NomCom Candidates -  see:  Article VII- Section 4 ICANN By Laws

Role Previously Held By

Nominee

Nominated by / Supported By

Date Accepted

Nominee's Statement (optional)
Regional Candidate(s) Recommended to the ALAC
ALAC Appointed Delegates to the NomCom
Amir Qayyum  

Siranush Vardanyan

Supporters:

Satish Babu

Ali AlMeshal

04-29

Dear APRALO members,

It is my honour to accept the nomination for the APRALO representative to NomCom for the next one year term. I am thankful for the support by Siranush, Satish and Ali, for their nomination and supporting emails. This indeed encourages me to continue serving the community, with new motivation and enthusiasm.

During my term as an APRALO representative to NomCom, I participated actively in the serious and rigorous work of NomCom. It is quite an enriching experience for me, although the pace of work is unrelenting (specially from February to May) and requires regular time commitment for the weekly calls and for their preparation.

I also participated in the work of NomCom sub-committees and was member of the Travel Logistics and Application Software sub-committees.

I also participated very actively in the NomCom outreach activities. I tried to utilize all possible opportunities for presenting the NomCom and its work, mostly in the seminars, workshops, meeting sessions and face to face interactions. In this regard, I pitched-in NomCom work during my talk in joint ICANN / ISOC / APNIC's Pakistan School on Internet Governance 2015, and then in ISOC's INET Islamabad event, mostly in individual meetings with delegates. Then in December 2015 in Nepal and in January 2016 in Thailand, I got an opportunity to talk about NomCom with a large number of Asian and European delegates, during four different European Commission's Erasmus Mundus Project meetings.

All these experiences were good, with many people getting interested in knowing about the NomCom and the available positions. Due to everyone’s involvement, efforts by the whole NomCom 2016 team made a very good number of candidates this year, with maximum number of applicants from Asia Pacific region.

Once again, I would like to thank you all for supporting my nomination to remain as the APRALO representative to NomCom. I believe that this past year has trained me to work more efficiently, with a better understanding of NomCom work and procedures. With the support of a great leadership team, I feel myself committed and devoted to work for another term on the NomCom, if trusted by our great APRALO community.

Looking forward to continue working with you.

Amir Qayyum by acclamation Amir Qayyum

Selection Schedule for 2016 ALAC Delegates to the NomCom

• 26 April - Announcement of call for nominations and Nominee's Statement.*
  • 26 April - 9 May  - Nomination period (nominations accepted for 10 working days).
  • 16 May - Deadline for nomination acceptances
  • 18 May - 25 May 2016 - Elections (If required, elections will begin no later than one week after the deadline for nomination acceptances and end no later than two weeks after that deadline). 
  • 27 May - Start of NomCom Delegate selection by ALAC
  • 2016 AGM [ ICANN 57 ]  - Newly elected ALAC representative shall be seated on the ALAC at the ALAC Wrap Up Session during the 2016 AGM .

*NOTES ON NOMINATIONS 

1. All nominees are expected to submit a brief statement explaining why they believe they are a suitable candidate and must also complete or update their Statement of Interest (see: At-Large New SOIs Workspace).
  2. No one who is currently serving on the Nominating Committee may be nominated for the ALAC. See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en#VII-8

• No labels

3 Comments

1. My nominee statement:

I have been involved with APRALO since 2009, and was the Chair of APRALO before becoming the APRALO representative on ALAC.  In Australia, I am chair of the Internet Society Australian Chapter's policy committee. I have been involved in many ICANN issues including new gTLDs, the consumer confidence and trust discussions, GNSO issues on the transfer of registrars and, for the past six years, the many issues (particularly privacy) involved in Whois.  I am now Chair of the Review of ALAC and look forward to working with ALAC/RALO leaders on reviewing the efficiency, effectiveness and inclusiveness of ALAC and the RALOs.

2. My nominee statement:

Dear APRALO members,

Having accepted my nomination to serve as APRALO Chair for another 2 years, I assure you that I remain passionate and committed to serving another term.

During this past term as the Chair, APRALO has grown to 45 ALSes and at the same time we have strengthened our relationship with leading regional organisations - APNIC, APTLD and DotASIA. We also continue to work together with the ICANN Asia Pacific HUB by organising capacity building and informational webinars.

For FY16, we have organised and participated in joint outreach events, such as APRICOT, and supported outreach activities coordinated by our own ALSes in their sub-regions. I have personally outreached on behalf of At-Large at local and global IGF events.

As well as an already packed leadership role on behalf of APRALO, I also participate on the RALO Secretariat and regularly attend ALAC meetings. I am a member of several Working Groups, particularly to mention some Outreach and Engagement, Capacity Building, Accessibility Taskforce, etc. WGs.

Due to everyone’s involvement, partnership, passion and support, last year I was given a community award by ICANN Leadership, which was for me, inspirational, but at the same time it increased my sense of responsibility that I should continue serving this amazing community with even more enthusiasm and devotion.

The APRALO Leadership Team, with whom I have had the honour of working closely during the last several years, also provides enormous volunteer time on behalf of APRALO and At-Large. But we cannot succeed without ALS involvement and commitment. Having said all that, I would like to thank all of you, each and every ALS for supporting my nomination to remain as the Chair of APRALO.  I aim to continue to serve this community to the best of my ability and with the continued support of a great leadership team.

Sincerely,

Siranush

3. My nominee statement:

Dear APRALO team,

It is my honed to accept the nomination and the support by all of those who send their email supporting me for VC and the other APRALO leadership team for second term. That is a very much motivating and encouraging as well as more responsibilities and work to do.

In my past term as the Vice Chair for APRALO I worked so closely with other team member in the leadership to recruit more active ALSs from the region and target those areas that we do not have a representative. Also to reach out to the existing in-active ALSs and see how we can re-activate them. 

During my term I have participated with other LT in number of outreach events in different APRALO region working on the cross-community knowledge sharing and outreach activity i.e. PacINET in Cook Island, first IGF in Armenia …etc.

I am also a member of the ARAB IGF Advisory board and I was one of the members who worked on the first Middle East Strategy through the Middle East Strategy working Group which was done for 3 years.

Currently I represent APRALO in the FBSC , outreach subcommittee , CROPP , TTF …etc.

Having said all that, I would like to thank all of you, each and every ALS for supporting my nomination to remain as the Vice Chair of APRALO. Looking forward to work with all of you as a team and with the support from our leadership team and staff who have all the expertise and knowledge to share and help us to best achieve our mission.  

Best regards
    Ali