Assignee(s)

Call for
Comments Open
Call for
Comments
Close 
Vote OpenVote CloseDate of SubmissionStaff Contact and EmailStatement Number

PDP 3.0 Updates

As per 08 April CPWG AI, this is an informal At-Large workspace on the topic of PDP 3.0 for the At-Large community.

Hide the information below, please click here 

FINAL VERSION SUBMITTED (IF RATIFIED)

The final version to be submitted, if the draft is ratified, will be placed here by upon completion of the vote. 

FINAL DRAFT VERSION TO BE VOTED UPON BY THE ALAC

The final draft version to be voted upon by the ALAC will be placed here before the vote is to begin.

DRAFT SUBMITTED FOR DISCUSSION

The first draft submitted will be placed here before the call for comments begins. The Draft should be preceded by the name of the person submitting the draft and the date/time. If, during the discussion, the draft is revised, the older version(S) should be left in place and the new version along with a header line identifying the drafter and date/time should be placed above the older version(s), separated by a Horizontal Rule (available + Insert More Content control).

8 Comments

1. Comments from Dr. TV Gopal:

2. 12 April comments from Dr. TV Gopal:

3. "Toponymy - The Lore, Laws and Language of Geographical Names" by Naftali Kadmon and published by Vantage Press, 2000 is a good book that gives valuable pointers in understanding the choice of Domain Names and the way people move out of the restrictions of ccTLD coding. 

Also, I observe that the Governance model of ICANN is primarily Federal and nicely democratic within the purview of its Vision and Mission. We cannot argue that ICANN is to assure only a common way of referencing Internet hosts that are taken care by the various technically well specified and implemented protocols.  The goal is clear to facilitate people from anywhere in the world to come together, stay together and work together. Towards this ICANN need to ensure global "Knowledge Flows" and foster "Knowledge Workers". The more fragmentation we see in the gTLDs [it may also be ccTLDs if ICANN desires] the difficult it is to knit the fragments together. We are at the Application Layer. The challenge is to model the "symbolic" domain name to facilitate the necessary bridges for the values, attitudes, and practices that take different forms among cultures and societies around the world.  ICANN is the best to achieve this and hence the "Knowledge Society".

4. /* The Ideas that have been carried forward starting with the vision for Domain Names in the documents mentioned below. */

"The need for domain names

As applications grow to span multiple hosts, then networks, and finally internets, these applications must also span multiple administrative boundaries and related methods of operation (protocols, data formats, etc). The number of resources (for example mailboxes), the number of locations for resources, and the diversity of such an environment cause formidable problems when we wish to create consistent methods for referencing particular resources that are similar but scattered throughout the environment."

• P. Mockapetris, Request for Comments: 882, Network Working Group, ISI, November 1983

Also please refer:

Request for Comments: 881, November 1983 ; Request for Comments: 897 [Update on RFC881], February 1984

Request for Comments: 920, October 1984 ; Request for Comments: 2870, Root Name Server Operational Requirements, June 2000

5. I am eagerly looking forward to the Webinar on "DNS Abuse: An End User Perspective" by Jonathan Zuck and Drew Bagley on Monday 4 May 2020 at 15:00 UTC [Very Late Evening IST]. To my mind the following perspectives provide very useful pointers.

Perspective #1:

When Massachusetts Senator Edward Kennedy learned of BBN's accomplishment in signing this million-dollar agreement, he sent a telegram congratulating the company for being contracted to build the "Interfaith Message Processor".

I do not think it was erroneous.

BBN was contracted to deliver the first "Interface Message Processor [IMP"] due at the University of California, Los Angeles [UCLA] by Labor Day [1 May]  and remaining three in one year. The first IMP was delivered to Leonard Kleinrock's group at UCLA on August 30, 1969.

Perspective #2:

Erwise, written for Unix computers running X Windows System and released in April 1992, was the first browser commonly available with a graphical user interface.

Mosaic was developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications [NCSA] at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign beginning in late 1992. NCSA released it in 1993. Soon after the graphical browser Mosaic was introduced, the Library of Congress made available some wonderful graphics of the colorful illustrated "Vatican Scrolls".

Mosaic ---> Netscape Navigator ---> Mozilla Firefox has been great programming experience between 1992 - 2002.

Needless to mention that the Internet Explorer made Netscape Navigator virtually extinct.

My Observation :

We may be hasty in dubbing matters of faith also as potential abuse or abuse.  Faith needs careful comprehension.

I suggest that "Domain Name" is looked upon as a model to study the impact of "Domain Names' on productivity and quality of life.

A quick question: Should the Domain Names that are the names of Individuals be deemed separate? Case in Point: www.abdulkalam.com

Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam was the 11th President of India. In India he is a renowned name. For machines it is just a string !!!

6. I thank Jonathan Zuck and Drew Bagley for a very nice Webinar on 04 may 2020.

DNS is at the application layer level. Most programming is "Context - Free".

In my humble opinion, "Contextualizing and Localization" may mitigate the DNS Abuse and give us handles into the local DNS space.

Suggestion:

ICANN should try have many more local Domain Name registrars with some insights into the model behind the proposed Domain Name.

7. Of late, I have come across participation request for Arabic Script. I am not an expert in this script. However, during 2000 - 2002, I had a first hand experience on UNICODE. Attached please find my choice paper that presents Indian local language scripts in perspective. Dr. Satish Babu, Chair, APRALO is using this for Malayalam Script.

We may have to study the other global language scripts on these lines. Just sharing with you all.

8. The Etymology of Country Names and Possible Impact on DNS

Ref: At-Large Consolidated Policy Working Group (CPWG) Single Issue Call: Jonathan Zuck on “GeoNames Survey”, Thursday, 04 June 2020 at 13:00 UTC