Comment/Reply Periods (*)Important Information Links
Comment Open:4 June 2012
Comment Close:4 July 2012
Close Time (UTC):23:59Public Comment Announcement
Reply Open:5 July 2012To Submit Your Comments (Forum)
Reply Close:30 July 2012View Comments Submitted
Close Time (UTC):23:59Report of Public Comments
Brief Overview
Originating Organization:ICANN
Categories/Tags:Strategic Planning
Purpose (Brief):

The development cycle for this year's 2013-2016 Strategic Plan recognizes ICANN's ongoing commitment to the bottom-up, decision making model and the importance of extensive consultation with the multi-stakeholder community, the Board and ICANN staff.

The purpose of this public comment period is to obtain feedback and collect input on the proposed development timeline [PDF, 288 KB] that will later inform the final version of the 2013-2016 Strategic Plan for approval.

Current Status:This is the initial phase of development. We are proposing a draft timeline for this year’s effort. To kick the process off, there has been multiple staff brainstorming sessions, along with an invitation being sent to all SO/AC’s to solicit their involvement and participation in two scheduled sessions in Prague.
Next Steps:

ICANN will undertake the following steps in developing the Draft 2012-2015 Strategic Plan:

1. Post Draft Strategic Plan Development Timeline
  2. Conduct SO/AC consultations in Prague to gather input and guidance
  3. Develop a draft 2013-2016 Strategic Plan based on Community, Board, and Staff input.
Staff Contact:Carole Cornell, Senior Director Project Management OfficeEmail:carole.cornell@icann.org
Detailed Information
Section I: Description, Explanation, and Purpose

The development cycle for this year's Strategic Plan recognizes ICANN's ongoing commitment to the bottom-up, decision-making model and contained extensive consultation with the multi-stakeholder community, the Board, and several workshops with ICANNStaff.

Below are the assumptions used to develop this year's timeline:

• The process began in May with ICANN Staff brainstorm sessions addressing each of the four Strategic Focus Areas and strategic metrics. The workshops considered what was accomplished last year, what environmental changes have occurred in the last year and what new changes need to be made to each of the four focus areas and projects.
  • During the Prague Meeting, we will host two open sessions with the ccNSO, GNSO, ALAC and RALOs WG participants to obtain their initial input on accomplishments, environmental changes, new opportunities, and strategic metrics.
  • In August, an initial DRAFT of the plan will be compiled based upon staff and community input and will be posted for public comment prior to the Toronto ICANN meeting.
  • In October at the Toronto meeting, meet with SO/AC to collect feedback on the DRAFT 2013 – 2016 Strategic Plan.
  • Several consultations will occur with stakeholder groups to further refine the plan.
  • In November, we will incorporate Community, Staff and Board feedback and present the final draft to the Board for consideration and adoption.
  • Executive Team to commit to the agreed-upon timeline and process.
Section II: Background
As part of the strategic planning process each year, ICANN considers major internal and external events that have occurred since the last writing of the plan. The last plan was approved in May 2012.
Section III: Document and Resource Links

This year's approved Strategic Plan 2012-2015 [PDF, 864 KB] – adopted by the ICANN Board during the Special Meeting of the Board of Directors held in Amsterdam on 6 May 2012.

Section IV: Additional Information
The Strategic Plan informs the Operating Plan and Budget and helps to define ICANN's yearly goals and priorities, and will be considered for adoption by the Board.

(*) Comments submitted after the posted Close Date/Time are not guaranteed to be considered in any final summary, analysis, reporting, or decision-making that takes place once this period lapses.

Please click here to download a copy of the PDF below.

• No labels

8 Comments

1. My comments on the last strategic plan includes suggestions which I strongly consider to be valid still. I submit the same for ALAC to review them and use as appropriate. 

Re: ALAC Statement on the 2012-2015 Strategic Plan - November 2011

2. Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels@gmail.com via atlarge-lists.icann.org 
     3:55 AM (19 hours ago)

to ALAC, At-Large

Herewith, V2 of the Draft, adjustments made to infuse comments by Rinalia
    and Tijani and supported by Cheryl.

- Carlton
    ------------------------------

----------
    Begins:
    ==============================
    The ALAC believes extensive feedback and interaction can only inure to
    improved planning outcomes for the ICANN Strategic Plan 2013-2016. In this
    context, we note and approve the process change to  cross constituency type
    consultations for plan formulation and development as a useful enabler for
    our expectations.  Making the right decisions on the structure and identity
    of the players are all critical elements for the success we seek,
    especially in light of the aggressive timeline for plan development now
    being projected.  We trust this hurry is a one-off affair. Afterall,
    certain knowledge of Board timelines should prompt a sufficiently earlier
    start to the plan development process, thus negating the need to
    shortchange full community deliberation and input.

On the whole, the ALAC believes the overarching priorities for plan
    development are well-intentioned:
    1. Achieving operational excellence
    2. Preserving the multi-stakeholder model (MSM)
    3. Fulfilling ICANN's limited mission

We shall insist on transparency in both approach and actions, from staff to
    community and back, thru to the Board and all points between to
    further plan development.  We favour and encourage a deliberative approach
    to defining what MSM means in the ICANN context.  We also recommend a full
    bore restatement of ICANN's mission, especially in light of recent
    political developments.

We believe the plan that shall eventually emerge from this exercise would
    be more robust if the question of market evolution occasioned by technology
    and/or business model changes is addressed.
    ===============================
    Ends.

==============================
    Carlton A Samuels
    1. From: Rinalia Abdul Rahim <rinalia.abdulrahim@gmail.com>

To: Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels@gmail.com>, Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa@fmai.org>, Evan Leibovitch <evan@telly.org>, Olivier Crépin-Leblond <ocl@gih.com>, ICANN At-Large Staff <staff@atlarge.icann.org>

Subject: Fwd: [ALAC-Internal] Draft ALAC Statement on 2013-2016 Strategic Plan Development

Dear Carlton,  

My issues on the proposed timeline (which I agree with you as being aggressive) and related aspects on the Strategic Plan development: 

1. It is not clear who "they" consulted in preparing "input documents" for consultations.

2. It is not clear who prepared or drafted the input documents.

3. It is not clear who the "team" in charge of Strategic Plan development in ICANN is.

4. It is not clear to our community how representation is being handled for the SO/AC SP WG

5. How they schedule consultation fora at ICANN meeting is a concern - in Prague the events clashed with community activities/meetings, which limit key participation.

This need not necessarily affect the drafted statement. I'm just flagging the gaps in how the process has evolved and that, if they continue, will result in further flawed consultations.

Best regards,

Rinalia

To: Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels@gmail.com>

Cc: ICANN At-Large Staff <staff@atlarge.icann.org>, Olivier Crépin-Leblond <ocl@gih.com>, Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa@fmai.org>, Evan Leibovitch <evan@telly.org>

Subject: Re: [ALAC-Internal] Draft ALAC Statement on 2013-2016 Strategic Plan Development

Please do the honors, Carlton. My simple English would ruin the beauty of your prose!

Rinalia Abdul Rahim

sent via galaxy tab

On 26 Jul 2012 21:30, "Carlton Samuels" <carlton.samuels@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Rinalia:

See my responses in line.

Best,

- Carlton

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 5:09 AM, Rinalia Abdul Rahim <rinalia.abdulrahim@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Carlton, 

My issues on the proposed timeline (which I agree with you as being aggressive) and related aspects on the Strategic Plan development: 

1. It is not clear who "they" consulted in preparing "input documents" for consultations. 

Very true.  The consultant gave a synopsis of the process for background documents in the presentation

2. It is not clear who prepared or drafted the input documents.

True, it would have taken some digging. Seems the principal drafter was the consultant.

3. It is not clear who the "team" in charge of Strategic Plan development in ICANN is.

True.  That was also brought up.  It is principally centred in Kurt Pritz's group; he seems to be the principal conduit for the consultant. The approach now in train is intended to 'crowd source' more of the strategy from the community. 

4. It is not clear to our community how representation is being handled for the SO/AC SP WG

True, that was indeed a complaint but the promise was the new version of the updated plan document should. The intent is to constitute a cross-community group - not exactly a WG but... - for brainstorming and direct reporting back to the community. What we fret about is 'balance and structure' of this group.   

5. How they schedule consultation fora at ICANN meeting is a concern - in Prague the events clashed with community activities/meetings, which limit key participation.

Yes indeed. Everybody beat them up on the scheduling for the Prague meeting. They had a rational explanation for it and promised to work with the schedulers to make it better. They also recognize the aggressive timeline but some complementary activities necessitate hard stops, hence that schedule.  

This need not necessarily affect the drafted statement. I'm just flagging the gaps in how the process has evolved and that, if they continue, will result in further flawed consultations.

A very real concern indeed.  I think it is reasonable to add a note of concern to the statement.  Give it a shot...or alternatively, I could and then you'd see if it reflects? 

Best regards,

Rinalia

2. On 7/27/12 3:15 PM, "tijani.benjemaa@fmai.org" <tijani.benjemaa@fmai.org> wrote: 

Thank you very much Carlton for this draft. I find it pretty good.

Perhaps, we can strengthen our remark regarding the timeline by requesting

that the strategic plan preparation be started earlier to allow for more

time to address the operating plan and budget. It was one of the problems

raised when addressing the budget this year. 

----------------------------------------------------------

Tijani BEN JEMAA

Executive Director

Mediterranean Federation of Internet Associations

1. From: Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels@gmail.com>

To: ALAC Internal List <alac-internal@atlarge-lists.icann.org>

Cc: ICANN At-Large Staff <staff@atlarge.icann.org>

Subject: Re: [ALAC-Internal] Draft ALAC Statement on 2013-2016 Strategic Plan Development

Dear Tijani:

So noted.  I will make the adjustment.

Thanks very much.

Best,

- Carlton

2. On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Cheryl Langdon-Orr <langdonorr@gmail.com> wrote:

I absolutely agree with you Tijani that point is essential; as is thecleat

pre setting of sell cell for comment dates and deadlines as is EASY to work

.back from the mandatory deadlines for Board approvals...

1. From: Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels@gmail.com>

To: ALAC Internal List <alac-internal@atlarge-lists.icann.org>

Cc: ICANN At-Large Staff <staff@atlarge.icann.org>

Dear Cheryl:

So noted.  Much obliged.

- Carlton