EURALO January 2010 Teleconference
Date: 19 January 2010
Time: 17:00 - 18:00 UTC (18:00 - 19:00 CET). For the time in various timezones click here
Meeting Number: AL.EU/CC.0110/1
Who is on the dial-out list for this call?
Summary Minutes: Summary Minutes 19 January 2010
Action Items: Action Items 19 January 2010
A G E N D A - TO BE UPDATED
1. Roll Call and apologies
2. Review of Summary Minutes 15 December 2009
3. Review of Action Items 15 December 2009
4. Open Public Comment Periods(All open public comments)
Proposed Agenda Items:
5. ICANN Strategic Plan 2010 - 2013 - EURALO/ALAC contribution
- Are the EURALO proposals in line with those of the other RALOs and the proposed ALAC Statement?
- Is there a need to submit an individual EURALO Statement before the deadline on January 21st?
- 2010-2013 Strategic Plan public comment announcement
- Draft ICANN Strategic Plan July 2010 - June 2013
- Survey on 2010-1013 Strategic Plan
- click here for information on the Strategic and Operating Planning Process
6. White Paper on the At-Large Director Process
Published on January 8th, 2009 by the At-Large White Paper Drafting Team (Sébastien Bachollet (EU), Alan Greenberg (NA), Dave Kissoondoyal (AF), Cheryl Langdon-Orr (AP), Evan Leibovitch (NA), Carlton Samuels (LAC)).
The White Paper asks all RALO to endorse and comment on the White Paper in their February meetings. There will also be community call on the White Paper between January 27 and January 29. A Doodle has recently been sent out for that purpose.
Here is short summary of some of the key issues (please click on the links for a discussion of the recommendations):
1. Term of Appointment
Recommendation to the Board: At-Large Board member should be appointed to terms equal of the SO members (3 years) and should be seated at the same time. Number of consecutive terms should be the same as for other Board members (currently 3 terms according to bylaws).
2. Director Qualifications
Recommendation to the Board: Criteria should include those by the ICANN bylaws, those of the NomCom for its Director candidates and additional At-Large criteria:
- understanding of At-Large
- understanding of potential impact of ICANN decisions for end-users
- track record of consensus building and complex policy environments
3. Creation of List of Candidates
Recommendation to the Board: The initial slate of candidates should be announced by an At-Large Board Selection Committee. The Committee should be composed of two representatives from each region and a Chair. The Chair shall be selected by the ALAC and have a vote. RALO may add "petition" candidates to the list. A petition will require the support of at least three RALOs.
Recommendation to the Board: The Board seat should be selected by the ALAC plus the RALO Chairs. The Chairs may be directed by their ALS if the RALO desires.
The White Paper notes that four out of five regions support this. It also notes that EURALO is currently undecided on what method to use.
Two alternative recommendation to the Board:
1) The first round is a vote conducted by STV ballots (candidates are ranked in order of preference). If there is no winner (>50% of the votes go to one candidate), a plurality vote is held on the top two candidates (>50% needed).
2) The first round is a vote conducted by STV ballots and identifies the top three candidates. If there is no winner (>50% of the votes go to one candidate), a plurality vote is then held to identify a winner (>50%) or narrow the field to two candidates. If there is no winner in round two, the candidate with the lowest number of votes is droppted and a third final round is held to select the winner.
At-Large Director White Paper Wiki Page
Introduction and Milestones
Appendix 1 - Documentation of Prior Actions
Appendix 2 - Announcement and Minutes of ICANN Board Resolution 27th August 2009
- Summary of 7 December Community Call on the At-Large Director Appointment process
- What is the regional view on the voting mechanism?
- How should the initial slate of candidates be drawn up?
7. EURALO outreach and events planning and Nairobi preparations (Wolf, Dessi and all)
- ICANN Studienkreis Meeting in Barcelona, Spain 21/22 January 2010
- DomainPulse Meeting in Lucerne, Switzerland 1/2 February 2010
8. Recent and Upcoming Activities of ALAC (Adam, Patrick, Sebastien)
9. Review of ICANN Policy Podcast on Redirection
Scott Pinzon, Director for Policy Communications, ICANN produced a 15 minute podcast with Dave Piscitello on re-direction at the top level of the Domain System. This is the first episode in a series of podcast on current policy issues that will produced regularly by the ICANN Policy team. Scott is interested in feedback on the first episode to find out how he can improve the podcasts and make them more accessible.