The first meeting for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 5 – Geographic Names at the Top Level will take place on Wednesday, 15 November 2017 at 20:00 UTC for 60 minutes.

12:00 PST, 15:00 EST, 20:00 London, 21:00 Paris CET

For other times:  http://tinyurl.com/ycgvmnp6

PROPOSED AGENDA

1. Welcome
  2. WG/WT5 members’ Statements of Interest (SOI)
  3. WT5 Rules of Engagement (WGT5 will operate under the principles of transparency and openness i.e., mailing lists are publicly archived, meetings are recorded / transcribed)
  4. Review Terms of Reference and input from ICANN60 (problem statement, objectives, goals, deliverables and documents relevant for the WGT5’s discussion)
  5. Proposed Timeline
  6. Development of a work plan schedule for future meetings of the WT5 (frequency of calls and date/time of next call)
  7. AOB

SLIDES

PARTICIPATION

Attendees

Apologies:  Marita Moll, Katrin Ohlmer, Statton Hammock, Paul Rosenzweig, Bruna Martins dos Santos

Questions and Comments

How many co-leaders are there?

-- There are four co-leaders appointed by the GAC, ccNSO, GNSO, and ALAC. 

-- Work Track 5 Co-Leaders are: Olga Cavalli (GAC) Annebeth Lange (ccNSO) Martin Sutton (GNSO) Christopher Wilkinson (ALAC)

Will we rotate leadership?

-- We will rotate leaders on the calls.

How can we accommodate different time zones?

-- We will rotate times so some meetings will be better for some and not for others, but the point is to make it as inclusive as possible.

What is the Risk-Based Approach?

-- Having looked at previous attempts to explore this topic in ICANN, we don't want to repeat the same thing and not make any progress.

-- In Abu Dhabi there were comments about looking that the risks associated.

-- Risk Approach we are exploring:

-- Identify risks (what we are trying to prevent and why)

-- Assess these risks (impact and likelihood)

-- Apply mitigation measures commensurate to the risks

-- Review mitigation measures against existing policy and controls.

For whom is the risk?

-- The risk could be from all sorts of quarters.

-- Could be multiple risks to try and balance.

Will there be a Data and Metrics for Policy Making (DMPM)-type of data gathering exercise for the risk assessment?

-- If this is anticipated it would need to be looked at post haste in this tight deadline.

How is the rotation of times determined?

-- We went through the participants list and tried to see how many from each region/zone and tried to determine the distribution so as to choose rotating times. 

-- However, with all zones we will have some inconvenient times.

From the Adobe Connect chat transcript:

Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Were the times cross-referenced against participant/observer list?

Farzaneh Badii (NCSG/NCUC):I am unclear on this "risk based approach" leadership is going to come up with. Any details somewhere?

Ching Chiao:glad we have time rotations for future calls :)

Robin Gross:Will the chairing of sessions (between co-leads) rotate as well?

Martin Sutton (co-leader):@ Robin - yes, we will rotate the chairing amongst the co-leaders

Jeff Neuman (Overall WG co-chair):@Aziz - the plan is to have inconvenient times all around the world :).  So yes 05:00 UTC is early in Africa (but really late in the east coast of the US - I think midnight/1:00 am. 

Farzaneh Badii (NCSG/NCUC):so how many leaders this WT5 has?

Christopher Wilkinson:Robin - in principle, the co-chairs will rotate, but the exact modalities need to be worked out taking account of competing obligations for time and time zone.

Emily Barabas:Work Track 5 Co-Leads Olga Cavalli (GAC) Annebeth Lange (ccNSO) Martin Sutton (GNSO) Christopher Wilkinson (ALAC)

Olga Cavalli - co chair WT5 - GAC:@Robin yes the idea is that co chairs rotate

Ching Chiao:<question> for IDN version of geo names, not sure how the co-lead and others plan to cover this topic?

Kurt Pritz:To build on the questions of others: I'd appreciate a brief discussion on the "risk based" approach. How does that map to the issues to be discussed? Will it be sessions on: (1) risk with country names and then discussion of mitigations; (2) risks with city names and then discussion of mitigations, etc? Or will we discuss risks generally for all geo names?

Jeff Neuman (Overall WG co-chair):@Ching - Most of the principles we discuss should have some general applicability for IDNs, but we will need people like you and others to make sure that we are always thinking about how IDNs are impacted and to address those

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):and re IDNs  that is a topic for WT4 so there will be crossover matters we need to look at/ be aware of.

Robin Gross:"Risk" for whom in this analysis?

Farzaneh Badii (NCSG/NCUC):Yes I wonder that too Robin.

Farzaneh Badii (NCSG/NCUC):explored by whom? the co-leaders listed here?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Perhaps this Risk Approach is an ideal topic to take to the mailing list for furtherdiscussion and deliberations?

Farzaneh Badii (NCSG/NCUC):consumer confusion? that has been always misused to actually protect others interest! I am not gonna go into this now but we need to discuss this risk based approach with the group

Heather Forrest:Do the co-chairs anticipate a DMPM-type data gathering exercise in carrying out this risk assessment?

Steve Chan:To Heather's questions, DMPM stands for Data and Metrics for Policy Making

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):If a DMPM data gathering is anticipated it would need to be looked at post haste with this tight timeline...

Kurt Pritz:I appreciate the fact that we will considering risks to consumer choice as well as the risk to delegation of some types of geo names

Farzaneh Badii (NCSG/NCUC):I have concerns if this risk based approach is being drafted only by co-leaders. I think we might need a drafting team.

Jeff Neuman (Overall WG co-chair):There are lots of risks......risks of preventing free speech, risk of confusion, etc......so risks can work in all ways

Heather Forrest:Suggestion: On the next call could co-leads please encourage more discussion amongst participants? It has been helpful to hear from co-leads on this introductory call, but our meetings should ideally be an opportunity for participants to discuss matters

• No labels