• Gisella Gruber-White: Welcome to the NARALO Monthly call on Monday 08 October 2012
  • Matt Ashtiani: Hello everyone!
  • Silvia Vivanco: Hello everyone
  • Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Hey everybody
  • Garth Bruen: Ici
  • Gordon Chillcott: Hello all
  • Eduardo diaz: ¡Hola a todos!
  • Matt Ashtiani: ¡Hola Eduardo, bienvenido!
  • Eduardo diaz: It is going to be about 45F
  • Alan Greenberg: Balmy.
  • avri: i think i am here as well
  • Evan Leibovitch: This is a map I'm assembling with points of interest near the venue
  • Olivier Crepin-Leblond: wow. today was 78F in Cannes
  • Heidi Ullrich: Thanks, Garth! Good to hear that re the monthly reporting!
  • Evan Leibovitch: Current weather in Toronto: clear, 10C/50F
  • Evan Leibovitch: Just fropm the States? It's Thanksgiving Day in Canada!
  • Heidi Ullrich: Joly sent his apologies. He has a professional commitment.
  • Evan Leibovitch: NARALO usually postpones the Oct meeting by a week because of this..
  • Evan Leibovitch: I have my yellow shirt ready...
  • Eduardo diaz: I got the test mail OK
  • Eduardo diaz: Current weather in Puerto Rico -  85F/30C
  • Eduardo diaz: and raininig
  • Seth R: I received a recording from Fedex that I will be getting a package from Marina Del Rey tomorrow - I assume its my per diem
  • Evan Leibovitch: Are there any requests foir things I need on the map?
  • Heidi Ullrich: Constituency Travel has indicated all NARALO reps are booked.
  • avri: what hotel are you all in?
  • Eduardo diaz: I got a couple of organizations interested in At-Large. Nothing yet.
  • Alan Greenberg: I have not received notice of per diem
  • Evan Leibovitch: Glenn and I are almost complete on doing the paperwork for ISOC Canada
  • Evan Leibovitch: (ie, Canada outside Quebec, which has its own chapter)
  • Eduardo diaz: Do the questions include a drink?
  • avri: Can future Challenges also take up the topic on getting ALAC to live up to the same standards it is looking to impose on others on issues like transparency, openness and CoI?
  • Heidi Ullrich: Welcome, Darlene!!
  • Matt Ashtiani: welcome, darlene
  • Eduardo diaz: Lets see if we can get some money allocated for the At-Large 2014 Summit
  • Heidi Ullrich: Evan, you will be presenting the R3 at an NCSG meeting, correct? When is that meeting scheduled?
  • avri: Tuesday afternoon
  • Darlene: Sorry to get here late for the call at Canadian Thanksgiving!
  • Darlene: Not taking notes
  • Heidi Ullrich: @Eduardo, Olivier has asked for Xavier Calvez, CFO, to speak with the ALAC on Sunday. One of the topics will be that ALAC plans to submit a FY14 budget request for a Summit in 2014.
  • Darlene: Will be up to speed for next time!
  • Heidi Ullrich: @Darlene, Silvia is taking notes.
  • Eduardo diaz: @avri: at waht time?
  • Heidi Ullrich: Thanks, Avri.
  • Darlene: THANK YOU SILVIA!!!!!!
  • Eduardo diaz: @Heidi: Great!
  • avri: NCSG mtg is 1330 1530, not sure when Evan's slot might be.  but can check
  • Eduardo diaz: @avri" thanks
  • avri: re issues for new gTLD grtoup.  if anyone in the group thinks this is an issue on the rollout that should be reviewed by the ANgWG then they should write it up and put it on the list of issues being worked/to be worked.
  • avri: how can a ccTLD got rogue?
  • Heidi Ullrich: @Evan, just to let you know that the NCSG meeting will overlap with the ALAC: Policy Discussion - Part IITime: 14:00-16:00
  • Darlene: Very very nice Garth
  • avri: has there been any update on R3.  several were discussed in Prague and was wondering if they ever got done.
  • Evan Leibovitch: Avri> main progress has been unanimous endorsement by ALAC
  • Darlene: Frigging phone connection just cut off on me- trying to redial but its not working
  • Evan Leibovitch: It's now an ALAC white paper, nut just a WG paper
  • Heidi Ullrich: Darlene, would you like a dial out?
  • Heidi Ullrich: Rule 17 of the NARALO Operating Principles on unaffilliated members:
  • Heidi Ullrich: 17.    The members of the unaffiliated individuals, including the representative to the NARALO General Assembly must submit a Statement of Interest indicating that they meet the following criteria:    be subscribed to the NA-Discuss list,    be a permanent resident of one of the countries/territories in the North American region as defined by ICANN,    not be a member of a certified ALS. The unaffiliated individuals will be responsible for selecting their representative to the General Assembly. Such representative must not be employed or contracted by, or have substantive financial interest in, an ICANN contracted registry or accredited registrar. Selection of a new representative of the unaffiliated individuals will occur whenever a new ALAC member is selected by the General Assembly.The unaffiliated individuals will adopt a verifiable process to ensure that votes cast via their elected representative reflect the views held among their membership.  It shall also be possible to adopt an automated electronic
  • Darlene: ty - got it back - finally!  lol
  • Heidi Ullrich: ok. thanks.
  • Evan Leibovitch: Individial member structure?
  • Heidi Ullrich: Please note: Selection of a new representative of the unaffiliated individuals will occur whenever a new ALAC member is selected by the General Assembly.T
  • Heidi Ullrich:  When an ALS representative does not vote in 3 consecutive NARALO elections or does not contribute a comment on ICANN policy through collaboration on the At-Large discussion lists in 12 consecutive months, it automatically loses its voting rights and active status within the NARALO. The ALS should be notified of the status change and may regain its voting rights and active status if within the next 12 months it votes or participates to online discussions, otherwise the Chair will submit to ALAC a request for de-certification of that ALS.
  • Heidi Ullrich: Rule 16
  • Heidi Ullrich: of the NARALO org docs
  • Darlene: Right, Heidi - and we've followed those procedures
  • Heidi Ullrich: From ICANN bylaws:
  • Heidi Ullrich: Decisions to certify or decertify an At-Large Structure shall be made as decided by the ALAC in its Rules of Procedure, save always that any changes made to the Rules of Procedure in respect of ALS applications shall be subject to review by the RALOs and by the ICANN Board.
  • avri: i agree it is a good to do outreach to ALS befoe kicking them out.
  • Darlene: Garth - totally - I am only talking about 1 ALS that is totally defunct (phone number is now a private residence and they are dead, dead, dead)..  Consumers Web Watch is one that Be has informed us that is no longer interested.
  • Darlene: Totally agree Oliviier
  • Heidi Ullrich: Welcome Ogi from CO-ISOC!
  • Ogi Mitev: thank you
  • Heidi Ullrich: Looking forward to meeting you in Toronto.
  • Darlene: To the group:  I am VERY VERY sorry to not taking notes.  I'm still fairly scattered now but will be back up to speed by the end of the week
  • Ogi Mitev: Looking forward to meeting you in Toronto!
  • Heidi Ullrich: Bridge: Telephone number
  • Darlene: For sure, Alan
  • Heidi Ullrich: Thanks, Matt!
  • avri: should we have a plan on how they can [articpate before we try to recruit them?  As far as I can tell, there is precious little communication by  ALAC or the RALOs to the ALS unless the rep does it.  this does not seem adequate.  Why would an organization want to join.  what would it gain?
  • Alan Greenberg: I am chairing another meeting in 9 minutes so will need to leave soon.
  • Eduardo diaz: I am in that meeting too!
  • Seth R: Question:  What can an ALS do that an Unaffiliated Member cannot?  Just a direct vote and attendance at the summits?  Do Unaffiliated Members get funding for summits?
  • Seth R: Can't a propsective ALS participate as Unaffiliated while the application pends?
  • Heidi Ullrich: Any individual can participate in At-Large
  • Heidi Ullrich: @Seth, I believe only the representative of the unaffiliated members
  • avri: Heidi, it is difficult for an individual to particpate in At-large.
  • avri: even to a mobile nudge like me is seems very guarded and closed.  like the layers of the onion.  easy to get involved at the edge, but as you get closer to the core, the worse it stings.
  • Heidi Ullrich: Thanks, Avri. That would be a very good point to raise when the ALAC speak with Sally Costerton
  • avri: Heindi: ok, maybe they can help do something about the gulf that exists between the ALAC and the ALS structure.
  • Heidi Ullrich: 25 formal At-Large meetings!
  • Heidi Ullrich: and many more informal meetings!
  • Darlene: Garth you are doing an AWESOME job!
  • avri: Heidi, sorry about the mispelling.
  • Olivier Crepin-Leblond: oops -- I note --- join the clan is a European thing
  • Olivier Crepin-Leblond: not clan as known in the US of course. sorry.
  • Evan Leibovitch: clan with a "C" is ok
  • avri: yes clan good in scotland. in the US it is hate speech.
  • Eduardo diaz: Adios y gracias.
  • Ogi Mitev: thank you
  • Silvia Vivanco: Bye bye
  • Evan Leibovitch: But in the US, hate speech is legal
  • Olivier Crepin-Leblond: I should have said "joint the club" but then in the UK this becomes closed to outsiders..... as in private member's club
  • No labels