NARALO Monthly Teleconference 

Date: Monday, 10 June 2019

Time: 19:00 - 20:30 UTC (for the time in various timezones click here)  

How can I participate in this meeting? 

1(800)550-6865, Teleconference EN ID: 1638

 **Zoom room: https://icann.zoom.us/j/238803361 /                   


Participants: Eduardo Diaz, Glenn McKnight, Jose Lebron, John Laprise, David Mackey, Allan Skuce, Susannah Gray, Yubelkys Montalvo, Marita Moll, Adrian Schmidt, Alfredo Calderon, Bill Thanis, Bill Jouris, Greg Shatan, John More, Jonathan Zuck, Karen Mulberry, Loris Taylor, Monique Chartrand, Alan Greenberg, Leon Sanchez, Dana Perry, Evan Lebovitch, 

Apologies:  Judith Hellerstein, Gordon Chillcott,

Staff: Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Joe Catapano, Chris Mondini, Claudia Ruiz

Call Management: Claudia Ruiz



Summary Minutes:    

Action Topics: EN

Recording: EN

Zoom Recording: EN

Zoom Chat: EN    

Transcript: EN


AGENDA

1. Attendance (XX/49 - XX%)

This section is to record the meeting attendance.

ALS (Total 24 ::11CA/13US) - Attendance (XX/24 - XX%) 

yone#

ALS

REP

ALT

US

CA

1Pacific Community Networks Association/CAAllan SkuceBev Collins
X
2ISOC DC/USDustin Phillips John MoreX
3ISOC PR/PREduardo DíazAlfredo CalderónX
4Canadian Association for Open Source (CLUE)/CAEvan Leibovitch Mathew Rice
X
5Foundation For Build. Sustainable Communities/CAGlenn McKnightRobert T Bell
X
6Greater Toronto Area Linux User Group/CAGordon ChillcottScott Sullivan
X
7Association of Internet Users/US :: ALAC 2017-19John LapriseCristina WilllardX
8ISOC NY/USGreg Shatan-X
9Capital Area Globetrotters/USJudith HellersteinLe-Marie ThompsonX
10Consumers Council of Canada/CA

Kenneth L. Whitehurst

Howard Dean
X
11ISOC CO/US

Karen Mulberry 

-X
12ISOC SF/USLeah SymekherSusannah GrayX
13Native Public Media/USLoris TaylorElyse Dempsey
X
14Telecommunities Canada/CA Marita MollGarth Graham
X
15Communatique/CAMonique Chartrand -
X
16The IP/Tech. Section of the HI State Bar Assoc./USDavid MorrisDane AndersonX
17ISOC Quebec/CAPierre-Jean Darres Robert Castonguay
X
18ISOC Canada/CAShelley Robinson Murray McKercher 
X
19Connecting.nyc Inc./USThomas Lowenhaupt Robert PollardX
20Hispanic Educational Tech. Services (HETS)/PRYubelkys MontalvoYelixa CastroX
21Nova Scotia Community Access ProgramDana PerryErick Stackhouse
X
22At-Large North American Graduate Students/USDavid Cristian MorarAnna Cecile Loup X
23Alternatives, Inc.Michel LambertMyriam Cloutier
X
24Colegio de Ingenieros de Puerto RicoJosé LebrónMiguel BauzáX

For updates please contact Evin Erdoğdu, At-Large Staff.

*P=Present

RED = Under decertification

Unaffiliated (Total 25 :: 6CA/19US) Attendance (XX/25 - XX%) 

#

Name

US

CA

1Adrian Schmidt
X
2Alan Greenberg
X
3Daniel WrightX
4David Mackey
X
5Endrias ZewdeX
6Edward HasbrouckX
7Javier Rúa Jovet X
8Jeongwon RyuX
9Jeremy PesnerX
10Joey Doyle
X
11Jonathan ZuckX
12Kevin FrazierX
13Kirstin DoanX
14Kristian Stout X
15Linda KaiserX
16Michelangelo De Simone
X
17Nathalie CoupetX
18Philip RighterX
19Robert Guerra
X
20Robert JacobiX
21Roland YarbroughX
22Thomas W CampbellX
23Thomas StruettX
24Wes BoudvilleX
25William Cunningham X

For updates please contact Evin Erdoğdu, At-Large Staff.

2. Approval of the Agenda & Discussion Order 

This section is to record the approval of this meeting agenda and its discussion order. (00:01/00:01)

→ 10 June:

3. Meeting Discussion Order 

Topic

Discussion


Lead

Allotted Time/Running Time

041

Introductory Remarks by NARALO Chair

→: To put the meeting in perspective  and bring-up anything of general interest to the membership:

    • One hour meeting today
    • Election Results
    • FY20 Additional Budget Request (ABR)
    • CROP Report by  Michael Casadevall
    • ATLAS III/NASIG updates
    • Outreach Group Updates
      • NARALO Strategic Plan Discussion
    • NARALO appointees to the ALAC Metrics Group
      • John Moore
      • Alfredo Calderón
      • José R. Lebrón
    • Policy update presentation by Johnathan Zuck

Eduardo

(00:04 / 00:05)
060

2019 NARALO Elections

→ To provide an update on the 2019 NARALO Election ← (these need to be updated)

  • Results: (staff needs to updates the wiki pages)
    • ALAC → Number of voters: 21 · Group size: 25 · Percentage voted: 84.00
      • Jonathan Zuck  :: 12 votes ::  57.14%
      • John Laprise         ::  8 votes   :: 38.10%
      • Abstain                   :: 1 vote       :: 4.76%
    • Secretariat → Number of voters: 22 · Group size: 25 · Percentage voted: 88.00
      • Judith Hellerstein :: 12 votes :: 54.55% ← 
      • Leah Symekher        ::  10 votes  :: 45.45%
    • Nomcom → By acclamation
      • Glenn McKnight 

Eduardo

(00:05/ 00:10)
056

ATLAS III & 2019 North America School of Internet Governance (NASIG 2019)

→:To provide an ATLAS III and NASIG update

  • ATLAS III Timeline ← Eduardo
    • 15-Apr through 31-May: Training Program Starts (Competed) 

      • Icann Learn - available 24/7
      • Weekly webinars (mostly for people whose primary language is not English)
        •  Domain Names (based on our selection of “Domain Names Demystified”) – Alan/Olivier (Completed)

        • GNSO (based on our selection of “Introduction to the GNSO”) – Marika/Steve Chan (Completed)
        • ccNSO (based on our selection of Onboarding: ccNSO”) – Bart/Joke (Completed)
        • GAC (based on our selection of Onboarding: Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) – Yrjo/Anna Neves (liaisons) (Completed)
        • Cybersecurity (based on our selection of Cybersecurity Basics) – David Conrad/Patrick Jones (Completed)
    • 1 May: Selection Panel Reps Chosen (Completed)
      • AFRALO          Fatimata Seye Sylla

      • APRALO          Holly Raiche

      • EURALO          Yrjo Lansipuro

      • LACRALO        Humberto Carrasco

      • NARALO          John Laprise

    • 6-May: Selection Panel Training.Starts (2 Wks) (Completed)

    • 31-May: EOI Application Ends  (Completed)

      • How many completed applications were received?
    • 3-Jun: SelectionBegins (3 Wks)  (On target)

    • 24-Jun: Selection Ends - List Ready  (On target)

    • 5-Jul: ICANN Travel Deadline  (On target)

  • NASIG 2019
    • Timeline details ← Glenn

Eduardo

Glenn

(00:05 / 00:15)
051

NARALO FY19 & FY20 Additional Budget Request (ABR)

→: To provide a report on the request and/or use of discretionary funds and/or FY20 ABR for NARALO

  • FY19 Discretionary Funds (deadline June 30, 2019)
    • Current balance: $96
  • FY20 Additional Budget Request (ABR)
    • Approved:
      • Real-Time Transcription (RTT) of up to ten (10) hours of Inter-sessional At-Large teleconference calls in English during FY20
        • F/U: Judith & Silvia to coordinate FY20 RTT meeting schedule
      • Funding for FY20 outreach and engagement activities by Regional At Large Organizations (RALOs) - $4k/RALO
        • Is there a link to this page?
  • May be supported by ATLAS III budget
    • Policy writing course for and during ATLAS III/ICANN66
      • Will this be a course to be taken previous to ATLAS III?

Glenn

Eduardo

(00:05 / 00:20)
017

NARALO Outreach Group Update Report

→: To provide a summary of the NARALO Outreach Group efforts

  • Reports:
    • ARIN 43 Bridgetown, Barbados 7-10 April 2019 Next month →  Michael Casadevall
    • Pre ICANN 65  Marrakesh Readout in Ottawa → Marita Moll
  • Follow-Ups:
    • NTC19 Portland, Oregon 13-15 March 2019m → Judith Hellerstein 
      • Coordination with GSE for an ICANN table (timeline)
      • Application for a speaking slot (timeline)
    • Digital Inclusion Charlotte, North Carolina 1-3 April 2019 → Alfredo Calderón
      • Application for a lighting round sessions in advance (timeline)
      • Affiliation to the organization (timeline)
      • Outreach lady from NY which lives in New Orleans for possible ALs affiliation (results)
  • Next Events:
    • Stay Strong and Free: A Discussion of Canada's New Digital Charter → Glenn
  • Discussion/Approval of the CROP Strategic Plan for FY20 → Glenn/Eduardo

Michael

Marita

Judith

Alfredo

Glenn

Eduardo

(00:20 / 00:40)
055

2019 NomCom update report

 →:To provide a brief report by our 2019 NomCom representative.

Leah(00:05 / 00:45)
044

North America Stakeholder Engagement

→: To provide an update report on North America Stakeholder Engagement efforts

  • Current and future engagements

Chris

Joe

(00:05 / 00:50)
028

NARALO Policy Group Update Report

→: To provide an update report by the head of the Policy Group as to the ICANN policies being discussed at the moment affecting NARALO end-users and/or interest to NARALO members in general

      •  At-Large Policy Advice Updates

Jonathan

(00:10 / 00:60)

if we get to them...



052

EPDP on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data

→: To provide an update report on this effort

Alan
026

NARALO ALAC members Update Reports

→: To provide a summary by our current NARALO representatives in ALAC of what was discussed since our last meeting in ALAC regarding policy and anything else that the region should be aware about.

Javier

John L.

Marita


029

NARALO Education Group Update Report

→: To provide provide an update report by the head of the Educational Group since our last call.

Alfredo
050

Student Outreach by  the North American Graduate Students At-Large Structure

→: To provide an updated report on efforts related to outreach University students by this At-Large Structure 

  • F/U syllabus work and Google doc for research material

David

Anna


059

RIR Outreach

→: To provide a report on RIR outreach efforts

Judith

to be updated in the future...



045

Academic Credits

→:To work on ways that we could possibly exchange academic credit for students who participate in ICANN policy development processes

Chris

Yubelkys

David


-

Any Other Business (AOB)

--
-Next meeting: July 15, 2019 @20:00 UTC--

*(allowed time/running time)

4. Current Discussion Topics

This section is for discussion topics details that have been carried forward to this meeting

Topic 017: NARALO Outreach Group Update Report

LEAD: Glenn McKnight

OPEN: 20 Nov 2017, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To provide a summary of the NARALO Outreach Group efforts

→ 12 February 2018 [Recording: 42]  Report given. Please refer to recording/transcript fro more details. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting

→ 14 March [Recording: 50:00]  Update given. Talked about strategic plan. Various testimonials given about outreach efforts. Example given: ICANN read outs, ARIN meetings and IGF Geneva. No action Topic generated. [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting

→ 09 april [Recording: 29 & 50 ]  William suggested that we put forward an effort to reach out to what are called HBCU, historically black colleges and universities, starting at Howard University in Washington DC. (see more details Page 16 in the transcript). Glenn provided and updated report on outreach efforts during ICANN 61 in Puerto Rico. please refer to page 25 in the transcript for more details. [Decision]: Chris Mondini and William to get on the phone or meet in DC to continue this discussion. 

→ 14 May [Recording: --]   Not in agenda for this meeting. [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting

→ 11June [Recording: 40:25]  Glenn reported. Please read specifics in the transcript page 22. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting

→ 10 September [Recording: 36:00] Report given. Transcript excerpt:"So, again, we have two tools. We have CROP which is three trips that ICANN has been generous enough to support. Plus we have discretionary funding." Check transcript starting in page #21 for more details. [Decision]:  Carry Forward to next meeting. 

→ 8 October [Recording: 23:00]: Mentioned IGF coming up and three CROPs for 2019 - 1. ARIN 43 Bridgetown, Barbados 7-10 April 2019, 2. Digital Inclusion Charlotte, North Carolina 1-3 April 2019 3. NTC19 Portland, Oregon 13-15 March 2019

→ 12 November [Recording: 13:50]: Mentioned outreach boot in the current IGF in Paris, France. Reiterated CROP trips and the deadlines for applying. Check transcript starting in page #10 for more details.

→ 10 December [Recording: 18:50]: Reported on outreach table at the main IGF event. Check transcript starting in page #12 for more details.

→ 14 January  [Recording: 04:00]: Glennn provided a report and Judith added. Susannah requested information about the procedure used to select people to these event. Please check transcript  starting in page #2 for more details.

→ 11 February: Reports given by Marita Moll (speak to a class at Carlton University), Greg Shatan (event at the United Nations and NYC Civil Hall), Alfredo Calderon (going to Digital Inclusion) and Judith Hellerstein (going to NTC - not for profit technical conference). Please check transcript  starting in page #9 for more details.

→ 8 April  [Recording:26:22]: Glenn provided a summary report. CROP trip reports will be re-scheduled for our next meeting.

→ 13 May : Judith made  her report (see transcript : page 9). Action items: (1) to coordinate with GSE to have an ICANN table in the NTCP event. (2) apply for a speaking slot since it reduces the cost of participation.  Several thousands attend this event. Alfredo Calderon made his report (see transcript : page 14). Action items: (1) apply for a lighting round sessions in advance, (2) Affiliate to the organization. F/U- Outreach lady from NY which lives in New Orleans.

→ 10 June: 

Topic 026:  NARALO ALAC Members Update Reports

LEAD: Javier Rúa, John Laprise & Alan Greenberg

OPEN: 09 April 2018, CLOSED: 

TYPE: [Policy]

DESCRIPTION: To provide a summary by our current NARALO representatives in ALAC of what was discussed since our last meeting in ALAC regarding policy and anything else that the region should be aware about.

→ 09 april [Recording: 3:00 ]  Javier Rúa gave a summary of the Work Track 5” of the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Working Group. Alan mentioned statements already put out by ALAC fro GDPR Implementation, Fellowship Program and KSK Rollover. ALAC is currently looking for input on a proposal model made by the Intellectual Property Constituency (IP) and Business Constituency for accreditation and authorization on WhoIs data and on the replenishment of the ICANN financial reserve. Please check out the Policy Page in the links provided below. [Decision]: Action Topic for staff: Summarize what the policy issues are and send it out to the list as quickly as possible.

→ 14 May [Recording: 12:04 ]  Alan provided a brief report about GDPR , NomCom Review, CCWG on Accountability Work Stream #2 (coming up)  and GNSO on New gTLD (coming up) [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

11June [Recording: 29:42] No reports given. [Decision]: Carry Forward to next meeting

→ 13 August [Recording: 17:00]: Reports provided by Alan  and Javier. See transcript page 10 and 15 to see details. [Decision]: Carry Forward to next meeting

→ 10 September [Recording: 46:50]  Report given by John Laprise. Transcript excerpt : "As was mentioned, the KSK rollover is moving ahead, so that will happen before the next ICANN meeting. In addition, the Policy Working Group is getting up and running. Jonathan Zuck [inaudible] there. We’ve got review implementation which is also kicking off as well as ongoing work with new gTLDs and GDPR. The accelerated technical specs that are being under review which is another area of a lot of concern and conversation." Check transcript starting in page #26 for more details. [Decision]:  Carry Forward to next meeting.

→ 10 December [Recording: 30:40]: John reported. Judith added (from transcript) : "we don't only have the auction proceeds closing tomorrow, but we also have policy comments closing on Wednesday as well. And then some policy comments closing in December and then other ones closing in the beginning of January. So it's a very active policy discussion period. And so it’s a chance for everyone to read them and make your comments known. And the other gTLD one is closing, I think, on Wednesday." Heidi mentioned the new At-Large Gateway wiki page as the main entry point to find information about At-Large. Check transcript starting in page #20 for more details

→ 14 January  [Recording: 41:00]: Marita provided a very detailed report.  Some excerpts from the transcript: "...did comment in for the sub-pro Work Track 1 to 4, which was a lot about asking questions about auctions. - ...you will be interested to perhaps read an article on domain insight about Vickrey auctions, which is something that At-Large suggested would be a better way of maybe resolving some of the contention issues around domain names in further rounds. - ... we’re working on right now is the geonames issue where’s a prep for comment open, very deep and long, and detailed about how another round of Top-Level gTLDs should deal with geographic names. - ...We are working on programs for Kobe. We want to make it more of a policy discussion this time."  Check transcript starting in page #20 for more details

Topic 028: NARALO Policy Group Update Report

LEAD: Jonathan Zuck 

OPEN: 09 April 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: [Policy]

DESCRIPTION: To provide an update report by the head of the Policy Group as to the ICANN policies being discussed at the moment affecting NARALO end-users and/or interest to NARALO members in general

→ 09 april [Recording: 51] This group is looking for volunteers. Jonathan suggested to focus in the following topics: Disposition of Action Funds, Universal Acceptance and Name Collisions. Please refer to page 26 of the transcript for more details about these.  [Decision]: ACTION Topic: Ask for volunteers for this group. Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 14 May [Recording: --]   Not in agenda for this meeting. [Decision]:  Carry forward to next meeting

→ 11June [Recording: 43:03] Mentioned that the biggest think is that Subsequent Procedures Working Group is going to be delivering its interim report shortly after Panama. Also discussions about charitable outcome associated with O.com and finally GDPR. More specifics on page 23 in the transcript. [Decision]: Carry Forward to next meeting

→ 13 August [Recording: 22:00]:  from the transcript page 14 : "we identify the issues, we’re trying as a group to identify what matters to end users and also what we think our position should be. But at that point, we’ll then need people to participate in drafting that section of our response. So we are interested in more people being engaged to do some writing on a particular question because there are so many questions to answer"  [Decision]:Carry Forward to next meeting

→ 11 February: Presentation given. From transcript :"The big things that have been dominating the discussions in the CPWG of late are the GDPR and privacy generally, subsequent procedures"  Check transcript starting in page #21 for more details

→ 8 April [Recording: 34:00]: Report was provided. Please watch the AC recording starting at 34:00 to view the actual slide deck presentation. Participation in the CPWG was prompted during the meeting.

→ 13 May: Report was provided.See transcript page 26 for more details. The CPWG is the ALAC central funnel related to policy. It’s where the first conversations happen, and then recommendations are made from there to the ALAC for their support and vote. There will be a list fo Hot Topics that will be issued by the CPWG for RALOSs to use in their regions.

→ 10 June: 

Topic 029: NARALO Education Group Update Report

LEAD: Alfredo Calderon

OPEN: 09 April 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: [Policy]

DESCRIPTION: This discussion Topic is for providing an update report by the head of the Educational Group.

→ 09 april [Recording: --]  For the May meeting, Jonathan Zuck will discuss "Universal Acceptance" as part of the SWebinar series. Future topics must align with ICANN's mission, therefore, the Policy & Hot Topics must be reviewed if a SWebinar is to be organized. It seems reasonable to consider Pollicy Comments as a point of reference. We are aware that in some instances the timeframe will be a limitation when Public comments before our monthly meetings. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 14 May [Recording: 45:00 ]   Presentation given by Jonathan on Intelectual Property Constituency (IPC) / Business Constituency (BC) Accreditation & Access Model for Non-Public Data. Please see details in transcript starting on page #30. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 11June [Recording: 47:05]  No report given. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 9 July:  Jonathan Zuck will discuss "Universal Acceptance" as part of the SWebinar series. Basic information available here. Seeking volunteers to do SWebinars for upcomming meetings. Topics must be related to ICANN's mission and pressing issues that might entice commenting by the  RALO.

→ 10 September [Recording: 44:00] Report given. Transcript excerpt : "I sent out an e-mail through the education group to gather topics that we feel that we should have a short webinar in the coming meetings, keeping in mind that if they are really related with some policy that is out there for comment and it’s time-sensitive, we’re going to give priority to those." Check transcript starting in page #25 for more details. [Decision]:  Carry Forward to next meeting.

→ 10 December [Recording: 51:00]: Report  given (from transcript) :"...I would like to have is people from this community suggesting speakers that we could invite for the upcoming meeting for next year. And you can send them through the email that I posted on the chat, so we can start planning for next year." Check transcript starting in page #32 for more details

Topic 041: Introductory Remarks by NARALO Chair

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 10 September 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To put the meeting in perspective  and bring-up anything of general interest to the membership.

→ 11 February :  Overview given. Check transcript starting in page #1 for more details

→ 8 April: Overview given. Check recording starting at 1:02 for more details

→ 10 June: 

Topic 044: North America Stakeholder Engagement

LEAD: Chris Mondini & Joe Catapano

OPEN: 10 September 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To provide an update report on North America Stakeholder Engagement efforts

→ 10 September [Recording: 16:31]  Report given. Transcript excerpt: "We are also working with two universities, the University of California in Los Angeles and also Arizona State University and also the University of Colorado, to work on ways that we could possibly exchange academic credit for students who participate in policy development processes or have some other ICANN policy development advancing role. So we are talking to them actively." Yubelkys Montalvo from HETS was very interesting in helping with this effort. Check transcript starting in page #10 for more details. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 8 October [Recording: 30:50]: DC office hosted 12 members from Indonesia to talk about organization and policy of private sector corporations such as ICANN. This was in conjunction with the State Department and done about twice a year. Also, coordinate UN meeting for the ICANN Government  Engagement team. Finally held a sucessful meeting with the US Chamber of Commerce. Main theme was GDPR. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 10 December [Recording: 30:20]: No representatives were present. Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 11 February: Report given. Check transcript starting in page #15 for more details. Judith request (from transcript): "we would be interested in events that are held in DC for other constituencies or other groups. We find out late to the event, and it would be great if you could give us a heads up so maybe some of our ALS's or individual members could attend. I know there was an event in DC focused on nonprofits and some other one at the ICANN office, but we didn't know about it until we just got a review who are on the GNSO's mailing list about the event. And I know the same thing happens in New York and California, and other places, so it would be helpful if we could get a heads up on some of these events, that we might be interested in attending."

Topic 047: Academic Credits

LEAD: Chris Mondini

LEAD COLLABORATORS: Yubelkys Montalvo (Universities) & David Morar (Students)

OPEN: 10 September 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To work on ways that we could possibly exchange academic credit for students who participate in ICANN policy development processes

→ 8 October [Recording: 27:00] : Two schools identified. Arizona State University, Phoenix - Responded enthusiastically. Best approach to use research clusters. These  are groups of 4-5 student that choose a topic and work on it for a year under a direction of a University professor. At the end they produce a paper and present their findings. Most probably will start in fall '19. The other institutionalization is University of Colorado Boulder. Not moving forward at the moment but talks are open. Will follow-up with them in the future. programs. [Decision]: Carry forward to next meeting.

→ 12 November [Recording: 16:55]: There has not been much progress since the last call. From transcript: "Our next step is that we’re talking with our policy development support team, and also people that run reviews, and we’re asking them if we get these students for a six-month period or a nine-month period or a 12-month period, what is the way that we could deploy them to further ICANN’s work?" . Check transcript starting in page #13 for more details.

Topic 050: Student Outreach by  the North American Graduate Students At-Large Structure

LEAD: David Morar, Anna Cecile Loup 

OPEN: 12 November 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: Outreach

DESCRIPTION: To provide an updated report on efforts related to outreach University students by the North American Graduate Students At-Large Structure

→ 12 November [Recording: 22:00]: A couple of suggestion given during this discussion. From Heidi Ullrich: " a grad student, who’s often the teacher’s assistant [to lead the classes,] so the undergrad, could then work with on the case study with these undergrads. And that might be a significant part of their grade. So just a possibility there that you can combine grad and undergrad students here". From George Kirikos: " there are independent study programs for undergraduate students as well as graduate students, so doesn’t necessarily have to be graduate students only. And also, ICANN did announce their open data initiative several months ago, so perhaps the credit could be kind of tied into that program, because that would obviously allow for various research or studies from students, either analyzing that data, or perhaps even better, creating some of that open data for other researchers". Check transcript starting in page #15 for more details.

→ 10 December [Recording: 39:30]: Check transcript starting in page #25 for more details.

→ 14 January  [Recording: 27:00]:  Nothing to report. Apologies provided.

Topic 051: NARALO Discretionary Funds & FY20 Additional Budget Request (ABR)

LEAD: Glenn McNight

OPEN: 10 December 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: To provide a report on the request and/or use of discretionary funds and/or FY20 ABR for NARALO

→ 10 December [Recording: 05:50]: Mentioned discretionary funds and how to go about using them. Check transcript starting in page #4 for more details.

→ 11 February : Topic 53: FY20 ALAC/RALO Additional Budget Requests (ABR) has been integrated with this one.

→ 8 April: [Recording: 28:46]: The use of discretionary funds was promoted. ABR item for discretionary funds was submitted to increase from $4k to $6k per RALO.

→ 13 May: The use of discretionary funds was promoted. There is a balance of $96 that can be used until June 30th . Silvia to coordinate a meeting for scheduling real-time transcription  (RTT) for FY20 with Judith.

Topic 052: EPDP on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data 

LEAD: Alan Greensberg

OPEN: 10 December 2018, CLOSED:

TYPE: Policy

DESCRIPTION: To provide an update report on this effort

Topic 055: 2019 NomCom update report

LEAD: Leah Symekher

OPEN: 10 December 2018, CLOSED: 

TYPE: General

DESCRIPTION: Brief report by our 2019 NomCom representative.

→10 December [Recording: 23:50]: This year openings are (from transcript): "The public technical identifiers, we have one seat open; that's a three-year term. The ICANN board of directors, we have three seats open; that’s a three-year term. GNSO Council, we have two seats opens; that’s a three-year term. And for the At-Large Advisory Committee, we have three seats open; a three-year term. The At-Large is for specific regions. As you see, we have Asia, Australia and the Pacific Islands. We have Africa, and we have election in America and the Caribbean Islands. So that's the space specific in terms of geography. The ccNSO council, we have one seat and that's a three-year term." Check transcript starting in page #16 for more details.

→ 14 January  [Recording: 23:00]: (from transcript) :"we have ten open seats that we are filling this year. Three for the Board of Directors, one for the PTI and that’s the Public Technical Identifier Board, two for the GNSO Council, one for the ccNSO Council, and three for ALAC. And the ALAC regions that we’re focused on this time is the Asia, Australia, Pacific Island region, one candidate from that region; Africa as the second one; and the LAC region. That’s the third one. That’s a total of ten.". Check transcript starting in page #15 for more details.

→ 11 February:  From transcript: "We have three for the Board of Directors, two GNSO seats, three At-Large, specifically the regions that we’re especially looking for candidates are Asia, Australia, the Pacific Islands, that's one region, Africa is another region, Latin America and the Caribbean islands is another region, so, three seats in total. ccNSO, one seat. We are also looking for one seat for the PTI Board. We already have the application, was already opened on January 17th. It closes on March 18th.Check transcript starting in page #18 for more details.

Topic 056: ATLAS III & North America School of Internet Governance (NASIG 2019)

LEAD: Eduardo Díaz

OPEN: 14 January 2019, CLOSED:

TYPE: Outreach

DESCRIPTION: To provide an ATLAS III and NASIG update

→ 11 February  [Recording:XX:XX]: Changed Topic title and description. Update given. Check transcript starting in page #4 for more details.

→ 08 April : [Recording:16:00]: Maureen Hilyard  was invited to provide a report on ATLAS III. Glenn provided the NASIG update starting at 24:00. 

→ 13 May: [Transcript page : 08] Current number of applications for ATLAS III is 40. John Laprise went through the training on the selection process with the group that designed the rubric. That’s on target. NASIG report not provided. 

Topic 059: RIR Outreach

LEAD: Judith Hellerstein

OPEN: 14 January 2019, CLOSED: 

TYPE: Outreach

DESCRIPTION: to provide a report on RIR outreach efforts

→ 14 January  [Recording: 38:45] Report provided. From transcript: "Many RIRs have grant programs and other community programs. ARIN is the only RIR that does not have any of those programs, so we have to think of different ways of trying to work with them. We had originally thought of an idea several years ago to do a liaison position with them, but they had turned that down then, thinking that they were afraid of favoritism. But we are going to try to reintroduce the idea again, but also trying to figure out our topic so that we can get the RIRs to know us more and us to know what they are doing." Check transcript starting in page #23 for more details.

Topic 060: 2019 NARALO Elections

LEAD: Glenn

OPEN: 8 April 2019, CLOSED:

TYPE: [General]

DESCRIPTION: To provide an update on the 2019 NARALO Election

SUPPORTING MATERIAL:


  • Open Positions
    • NARALO Secretariat: Currently held by Glenn McKnight.  Glenn is not term limited. This two year term will run between the end of the 2019 AGM and the 2021 AGM. 
    • ALAC  Representative:Currently held  by John Laprise.  John is not term limited. This two year term will run between the end of the 2019 AGM and the 2021 AGM. 
    • NARALO  NomCom Delegate: The current NA delegate to the 2019 NomCom is Leah Symekher. Leah's is term limited. This one year term will run between the end of the 2019 AGM and the 2020 AGM.
  • Current Nominations
    • ALAC: John Laprise, Johnathan Zuck
    • Secretary: Judith Hellerstein, Leah Symekher
    • NomCom: Glenn McKnight
  • Schedule:
    • 29 March 2019- Announcement of call for nominations and Nominee's Statement.** (Completed)

    • 29 April – 10 May 2019 - Nomination period (nominations accepted for 10 working days).

    • 17 May 2019  - Deadline for nomination acceptances

    • 20 May - 22 May 2019 - Calls with the candidates if desired by the RALOs. 

    • 23 May - 30 May 2019 - Elections (If required, elections will begin no later than one week after the deadline for nomination acceptances and end no later than two weeks after that deadline).

    • 2019 AGM [ ICANN 66 ] - Newly elected ALAC Members and RALOs Leaders shall be seated at the end of the 2019 AGM following the close of the Board Meeting on 7 November 2019.

→ 8 April: . Check recording starting at 8:18 for more details. Alan provided a summary of the available positions responsibilities.

→ 13 May : Statements given by candidates in conteste positions. More details in transcript page 35.

5. New Discussions

This section is for new discussions in the agenda for this meeting

6. Any Other Business (AOB)

This section is for any new discussions not in the agenda for this meeting.

Topic 062*: [Topic title here]

LEAD: [name]

OPEN: [open date], CLOSED:

TYPE: [General], [Policy], [Education], [Outreach]

DESCRIPTION: [Brief description]

*Use this format. The number shown is the next in the sequence of discussions. Update every meeting if necessary.





---0---




Supporting Material

General:

Policy:

At-Large Policy Resources

2019 ALAC Policy Comments & Advice
At-Large Policy Summary
At-Large Executive Summary page
Multistakeholder Advice Development graphic

Please join the weekly  At-Large Consolidated Policy Working Group (CPWG) meeting.

Recently Ratified by the ALAC

None

Public Comment for Decision

Study on Technical Use of Root Zone Label Generation Rules  
Non-Contracted Party House (NCPH) Election Procedures for Board Seat #14  

Current Statements (ALAC Advice, Comment or Correspondence)

Public Comment Name

Public Comment Close

Status

Penholder(s)

CPWG Feedback on NomCom Review Implementation

 

Note: Not a formal ICANN public comment.

COMMENT

Evolving ICANN’s Multistakeholder Model

Statement version 09 June 2019:

 

Note: Extension of public comment to Thursday, 13 June 23:59 UTC.

COMMENT

Potential ALAC Feedback on EPDP Phase II

 

Note: Not a formal ICANN public comment.

DRAFTING

Process Proposal for Streamlining Organizational Reviews

 

DRAFTING

Jonathan Zuck and Olivier Crepin-Leblond to discuss next steps on the public comment; penholder status TBC.
Evolving the Governance of the Root Server System

 

DRAFTING

Bastiaan Goslings to provide initial review of report, penholder status TBC.

Education:

Outreach:

FY20 NARALO Outreach

NARALO FY19 Outreach and Engagement Strategic plan

Community Regional Outreach Program (CROP)-FY18 Home

At-Large Social Media Working Group




  • No labels