Mario Aleman:Welcome to the LACRALO Governance Working Group Call on Thursday, 21 September 2017 at 18:00 UTC

Mario Aleman:Draft agenda: : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_HS8hB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=EIZsRD5HkaWrY-IOAapEBdyRwuZLXAVNnDN6t_SaXlQ&m=rUmzOlehmhxl00xp6aS41w2mPll9HESOTt4DGFqPpDc&s=s_9_lJBcPuIBvc0LNo64CIuYdqd7h0a-42YAoiTn2Rg&e=

Mario Aleman:Hello Dev, welcome to the call

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:hello

Silvia Vivanco:Hello all

Silvia Vivanco:I will join in 3 mins finishing another call

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Hello

Silvia Vivanco:Hello all

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Am ok with anything

Mario Aleman:Welcome everyone

Mario Aleman:Bienvenidos todos

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Wow, re: Maritza

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:that's far!

Aida Noblia:Hola ! pude acceder al adobe

Mario Aleman:Bienvenida Aida

Aida Noblia:gracias Mario

Silvia Vivanco:ahora si

Silvia Vivanco:sigue

Carlton Samuels:Hello everybody

sergio salinas porto:hi carlton! & Dev!

Silvia Vivanco:Welcome Carlton

Humberto Carrasco:hello everybody

Carlton Samuels:Howdy Sergio. Long time

Silvia Vivanco:Welcome Jacqueline !

Jacqueline Morris:HI everyone!

Jacqueline Morris:Thanks Silvia

Silvia Vivanco:Action Items of last call: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_display_LACRALO_Action-2BItems-2BES-253A-2B2017-2D06-2D12-2BLACRALO-2BGovernance-2BWorking-2BGroup-2BCall&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=EIZsRD5HkaWrY-IOAapEBdyRwuZLXAVNnDN6t_SaXlQ&m=rUmzOlehmhxl00xp6aS41w2mPll9HESOTt4DGFqPpDc&s=mMqDDNRNPEfAPmFAze_oNb_nAhWMiS42mkFkq9L26aI&e=

Mario Aleman:Welcome to the call, Melissa

Malisa Richards:Thank you Mario

Malisa Richards:Greetings all

Carlton Samuels:@Dev: +1.  The GA is a meeting for decision-making on policy etc.  Regular monthly meetings are just that!

Jacqueline Morris:I agree with Dev's definition.

Carlton Samuels:Every time a decision is to be made that requires the input of ALL members on a resolution, then it is a GA.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:+1 Carlton, indeed

Carlton Samuels:@Alberto: We are agreed.

Malisa Richards:+1 I agree with Dev's decision

Malisa Richards:definition*

Silvia Vivanco:Google doc with the document is posted on the agenda: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1dH4loMd10HSjfmgbDs7x0zBNfYd-5FlsKv6mXfIBoMYvU_edit-23heading-3Dh.xw4kjselpneg&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=EIZsRD5HkaWrY-IOAapEBdyRwuZLXAVNnDN6t_SaXlQ&m=rUmzOlehmhxl00xp6aS41w2mPll9HESOTt4DGFqPpDc&s=939Cl4q-asfSAEfuXqm40QWJDDB0m5BXpnbRGkKwBZU&e=

Carlton Samuels:The subject is not the driver for the meeting to be an assembly. An assembly is a meeting for decision-making that requires the entire membership to participate.

sergio salinas porto:dev, yo tambien escribiré algo sobre asambleas para que quede documentado

sergio salinas porto:@dev eso se vera en reglas de procedimiento

Jacqueline Morris:Carlton puts it as I understand it.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:@Carlton - that to me sounds like a good defintion of assembly - An assembly is a meeting for decision-making that requires the entire membership to participate.

Carlton Samuels:@Alberto: +1 a WG  should not be included in definition for assembly

Malisa Richards:Carlton has defined it simply and to the point

Jacqueline Morris:@Carlton - yes, I agree. I don't see how the WG comes into it at all.

Malisa Richards:I disagree with the WG being included in the definition of the assembly

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:agree, WG don't need to be defined with the definition of assembly

sergio salinas porto:@malisa, @Carlton, @ Jacqueline era solo una idea...no creo que sea central en lo que estamos tratando

Silvia Vivanco:The working group normally is more flexible  

Carlton Samuels:The conceptual base is ordinary and extraordinary. In general terms we are committed to an annual decision-making meeting; the general assembly. When we have more than one called in any year that is the extraordinary one.

Humberto Carrasco:sergio

Humberto Carrasco:de acuerdo

Humberto Carrasco:i agree sergio

Jacqueline Morris:@Sergio - OK. I think that a general Assembly is a meeting of ALL members to make decisions. Regular is a regularly scheduled one. Extraordinary one  - called for an extraordinay purpose.

Jacqueline Morris:Yes - I agree

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:so three categories : monthly meeting, regular assembly and extraordinary assembly

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:sure I agree

Aida Noblia:de acuerdo

sergio salinas porto:ok tendriamos tres: Reunion Mensual, Asamblea ordinaria y Asamblea extraordinaria

Malisa Richards:I agree with Jacqueline

Jacqueline Morris:So we can define Mnthly meeting as regular monthly business meeting, to discuss activity, etc. Ordinary General Assembly - a regularly scheduled meeting (e.g. Annual) to make decisions with the participation of ALL members. Extraordinary - a GA called out of the regular time to make decisions on matters that are urgent or extreordinary.

Jacqueline Morris:Absolutely we should allow individual members. The question is the structure or process by which these indvidual members are incorporated into the RALO structure.

Silvia Vivanco:AFRALO is also accepting individual members now :)

Silvia Vivanco:so 4 RALOs

Jacqueline Morris:Teamwork? I don't understand how individual membership  is against teamwork.

Carlton Samuels:We should allow individual users no question. Furthermore, the individual should be accommodated for full membership with all the responsibilities, rights and benefits

Silvia Vivanco:si es en EURALO it is the "Individual Members Association"

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:We can have individuals in a virtual ALS for each country

Malisa Richards:I believe that accepting indivisual members will aid in the multistakeholder model that ICANN is using. Hence Individual membership will also contribute in achieving the objetives of LACRALO

Jacqueline Morris:That's a good idea, Dev

Carlton Samuels:@Dev: Good idea for valorizing input

Jacqueline Morris:That can also aid in outreach and getting more members and paricipation.

Malisa Richards:To add to what Jacqueline says it will also assist with the outreach process of LACRALO

Humberto Carrasco:i believe We should accept individual member,but only with voice. Without voting rights now. We need a transition period

Aida Noblia:se oye mal

Silvia Vivanco:No te pudimos escuchar hacia el final

Silvia Vivanco:entrecortado al fina;

Carlton Samuels:@Sergio: We understand that concern. So the best way to end the political issue is a virtual ALS in every country where there is an individual. Regardless of the number of individuals in any country, they collectively have the same influence when it comes to decision-making.

Silvia Vivanco:We can call you

Jacqueline Morris:Without full rights, there is no voice, Humberto.

Silvia Vivanco:please number Sergio

sergio salinas porto:+5492235215819

Malisa Richards:@Humberto, if we are to limit individual members then there will be a skew on some decisions which we see happening from time to time.

Carlton Samuels:And it gives all the ALS in every country an opporunity to mount an outreach effort to bring that pperson or persons into the fold of an existing ALS.

Humberto Carrasco:i disagree Jacqueline

Jacqueline Morris:So how can someone have a voice without rights? I'd love to understand that model.

Aida Noblia:si

Jacqueline Morris:HUmberto - can you explain voice without rights?

Silvia Vivanco:ahora si

Carlton Samuels:@Humberto: I am very uncomfortable with any idea that says full participation with ALL responsibilities BUT restrict rights.  Sound too much like apartheid for my stomach.

Malisa Richards:@Humberto, in essence are you saying that individual users would just basically have an observer status?

Jacqueline Morris:I do not understand how anyone would want to join to do work, but without rights.

Humberto Carrasco:i will talk by phone to explano my point

Humberto Carrasco:explain

Jacqueline Morris:I do not suggest the ending of the ALS model, but I think teh virtual ALS model has worked in other RALOs, and I see no reason why it cannot work here.

Carlton Samuels:This position reminds me of Animal Farm's "all animals are equal but some are more equal than others".

Jacqueline Morris:I didn't see how individual users being allowed means that ALSes are to be destroyed.

Jacqueline Morris:YEs

Malisa Richards:I strongly believe that the virtual ALS model in LACRALO will contribute significantly especially in the area of outreach and membership

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Indeed, re: Animal Farm analogy

Carlton Samuels:@Jaqueline: The virtal ALS accomodate all the concerns. A virtual ALS in each country with a individual user(s) is the model that accomodates the interests of all.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Virtual ALS per country will accomodate your worry, Humberto

Jacqueline Morris:That is now what is being suggested, though. Individuals would be participating in a Virtual ALS.

Jacqueline Morris:Not  individual users having a vote each.

Carlton Samuels:@Sergio: I disagree. The ALS will always have work. The principal reason for ALS is outreach. And if you ask ICANN it is outreach using the ALS own resources. That does not go away.

Carlton Samuels:@Alberto: I agree with you the ITEMS position to its logical conclusion is elimination of ALS. We do not support that position. We beleive we can accommodate individuals withing the ALS structure. Other RALOs have done so. We can too in LACRALO.

Jacqueline Morris:Yes, exactly.

sergio salinas porto:houston estamos en un problema

Carlton Samuels:@Sergio: :-)

Alberto Soto:Yes Cartn

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:yes, we can jacqueline

Carlton Samuels:@Jacqueline: +1 to everything said!

Malisa Richards:+1 @Jacqueline

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:+1 Jacqueline

Humberto Carrasco:evebody agrees We need individual users. Now, We need to find the way

Carlton Samuels:I cannot understand why another ALS in a country, virtual or not, is going to be a problem!

Jacqueline Morris:Maybe... I will try

Aida Noblia:la mayoría acepta que participen usuarios individuales, unos con voto otros sin voto

Malisa Richards:I'll try to attend

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:I can also try to attend

Aida Noblia:ok

Jacqueline Morris:I usually am at UWI with my thesis adviser, but I will try to meet him in the morning.

Humberto Carrasco:can We have a doodle?

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Yes, am ok, but if others want a doodle - important to keep the discussion going

Carlton Samuels:@Humberto: I'm happy to see you on the yes side. Alberto understands why it is necessary. We must convince our friend Sergio he will not lose anything from having a virtual ALS.

Aida Noblia:la mayoría aceptan hoy la partiipación de usuarios individuales

sergio salinas porto:malisa esta en nuestro canal?

Aida Noblia:tomar el modelo de las RALOS que los aceptan puede ser una solución

Jacqueline Morris:Aida, having some with votes and some not is very troubling to me. It's very much like a segregation plan. And any suggestion of that is very  disturbing to people from a history of slavery/apartheid.

Carlton Samuels:I'm on the audio bridge via Skype. I can hear everybody but nobody hears me!  Its not just on LACRALO calls. Every call. Helluva thing!

Aida Noblia:ok JAC

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Indeed, Jacqueline

Carlton Samuels:Thank you all.  Vigourous discussion always welcome.

Jacqueline Morris:OK - thanks. Adios everyone.

Aida Noblia:BYE ALL

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Thanks everyone - take care all

• No labels