CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS TO JOIN THE CROSS-COMMUNITY WORKING GROUP LAUNCHED
SEE https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2016-12-13-en FOR FURTHER DETAILS
The new gTLD Program established auctions as a mechanism of last resort to resolve string contention. Most string contentions (approximately 90% of sets scheduled for auction) have been resolved through other means before reaching an auction conducted by ICANN's authorized auction service provider, Power Auctions LLC. However, it was recognized from the outset that significant funds could accrue as a result of several auctions. As such, these auction proceeds have been reserved and earmarked until the Board authorizes a plan for the appropriate use of the funds. Board, staff, and community are expected to be working together in designing and participating in the next steps addressing the use of new gTLD auction proceeds. It should be recognized though that these proceeds are to be considered as an exceptional, one-time source of revenue.
A drafting team composed of representatives of SO/ACs and the Board was convened to prepare a draft Charter. This group met for the first time on 10 Mar 2016 in Marrakech and has produced a draft charter which was reviewed and discussed in a public session during ICANN56. The Drafting Team has prepared a revised charter which has been forwarded to the SO/ACs with the request to identify pertinent issues, if any, that would prevent adoption. At the request of the GNSO Council leadership team, a webinar has been scheduled for 13 October to provide an overview of the proposed charter and address any possible questions. With no pertinent issues having been raised, the DT submitted the proposed charter for consideration by the different ICANN SO/ACs.
The current status of the Charter is as follows:
- ASO - no objections to current charter proposal and confirmed adoption
- ALAC – ratified charter on 7 November 2016 (see ALAC Actions in ICANN 57)
- ccNSO – adopted charter on 7 November 2016 (see https://ccnso.icann.org/about/council/decisions-resolutions/2016)
- GAC - confirmed adoption of charter on 24 January 2017
- GNSO – adopted charter on 7 November 2017 (see https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#20161107-4)
- RSSAC - adopted charter on 1 December 2017 (see https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/notes-executive-01dec16-en.pdf)
- SSAC - prepared to move forward with the current charter
Those groups that have adopted the charter are now in the process of identifying members and possible co-chairs for the CCWG.
Recent space activity