
YEŞİM NAZLAR: ...roll call. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to you. Welcome to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee call, taking place on Wednesday, 24th of August 2016 at 14:00 UTC.

On the call today we have Tijani Ben Jemaa, Ali AlMeshal, Maureen Hilyard, Sébastien Bachollet, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Alan Greenberg, Judith Hellerstein, Kaili Kan, Wolf Ludwig, Glenn McKnight, and Allan Skuce.

We have apologies from Tim Denton and Cheryl Langdon-Orr.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silva Vivanco, Rob Hoggarth, and myself, Yeşim Nazlar.

Finally, I would like to remind everyone to start, to say their names before speaking for the transcript purposes. Thank you very much, over to you Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. The purpose of this call is to review the budget allocations that were made, and make sure that we are, number one, everyone is aware of them, and number two, we're on track to actually implement them and, you know, if there are any questions or decisions that have to be made at this point, that we should do it.

We're well into the budget year, and we want to make sure that the requests are being number one, used properly, and that we're not letting things slip through the cracks. And to actually do the review, I

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

would like to turn it over to Heidi, and I believe... Do we have Rob on the call? I don't see him listed. Oh...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: At the top. So, I'll intervene as necessary, but at this point, I'll turn the call over to Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, thanks Alan. So I really enjoy doing this [inaudible], and I think that you will enjoy seeing the staff is [inaudible]. We have Rob Hoggarth, the senior director for the policy implementing and engagement. He's going to be actually responding to any questions. So I'll be starting with this process. If we can all just look at the At-Large fiscal year 17 special request implementation work space.

The link is in your chat, and it's coming up onto the screen.

So you'll see that the table, first.. Well, there are two tables. The first is for the ALAC. Second one is for the RALOs. [Inaudible] and they basically have the same information on them. They have the request with a link to the actual page and the actual request, and the main description. Within the proposal, there is a description slots or box, and that text is taken from there.

And then there are details that the decision made by the Board, the comments. Then I have other, three other columns that are somewhat less populated at the moment. First one is materials required, second one is the lead. And I sort of put those in who I believe they are at the moment, but we can discuss those if they need changing, and then the status.

So, I'm going to just roll down the page, and hopefully all of you will be able to discuss this, and we'll populate those now, somewhat less populated columns. So Alan, I'm just going ahead to begin, and the first one is over to you. This is the request for strategic working session for ALAC and RALO leaders at ICANN public meeting 57 and 58.

On the left, you can read the description. Basically this is a session for At-Large leadership, including the ALAC and the RALO leaders, to help them focus on what they need to be doing in the next six months or so. This is going to be taking place in Hyderabad and in Copenhagen. And this takes place currently on Saturday.

And right now there is no funding, there will be no funding for an external facilitator, so right now, it's just possible staff facilitator, if needed. Alan, right now, I have you and León as the leads for that. Are there any changes that you would like to make to that?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, well certainly some comments. First of all, when you say Saturday, that means Thursday in Hyderabad.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, yeah. [CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: Thursday is the new Saturday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Day one, sorry, day one, yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. I have a question. Given that all of this is funding for is a facilitator, and we don't have any facilitators, we have no funding for facilitators, how is this being accepted?

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, the funding...

ALAN GREENBERG: I mean, it's very generous to accept it but allocate zero dollars to it, but I'm not quite sure what that means.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, so two things, I think. So the first one, you will remember, recall, that part of that request was also for resources in terms of, let's say, a lunch is in there. So that's included in there. And then also a staff facilitator might mean that there is someone, a staff member from either HR or a staff member from GSE, that has gone through the leadership training program, etc. to be used as a facilitator.

ALAN GREENBERG: I have a further comment, but I see Sébastien, so why don't we go to him first.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you Alan. All that, we are all losing our time. We have already met, and that there is, the only thing you say that maybe staff will be available to help us, I hope that we don't need to make a so long request to have staff. It seems to be the work of staff to help the community. And the second, if it's just to give us [inaudible], thank you very much.

But we have spent more money in discussing in making the proposal, in doing all of that, then the cost of the lunch. And really, I think, it's a bad beginning. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I will point out also, as I have many times before, that we are now, in this case, being provided with a lunch, something the GNSO has gotten for well over a decade on their working sessions, without having to make any special requests. So I don't really... I agree with Sébastien, I don't think I want to spend a lot more time on this.

We are certainly going to have working sessions on the first day, we will do our best to use the time wisely. But I don't think we need to focus anymore on this. And my perspective is that this is how it's going to be treated in the future, that I would like to, number one, fix the lunch

problem, and not waste time on allocations that simply waste our time and staff's time on evaluating them.

We clearly can reconsider that next year if the situation changes. So, yes we will work on making sure we use our first days productively, that's business as usual, I think.

Heidi, back to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, okay, thank you. So Alan, again, I just want to say that, confirm that you and León [inaudible] will be in under development.

ALAN GREENBERG: As far as I am concerned, it is business as usual in developing an agenda for ICANN meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: I would like to reiterate the issue on lunches, and someday I would like that resolved, instead of simply being told, that's the way it is.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. And yeah, I think Rob has heard that, and we will...

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, just to belabor the point more, we are in the middle of our second At-Large review. The first At-Large review had a very specific recommendation that we should be treated equally with other groups. Enough said. Next item.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, let's move on. Okay, next one is ALAC development session in ICANN 57. This is a second pilot activity. This one is a repeat of what took place in Dublin, and right now it is scheduled for the final day, the ninth, and the timing for this is 12 to six. And this also includes... There is... Again, the intention is to use a staff facilitator.

So, I have reached out to someone on staff, who has tentatively said yes, but it depends on some issues. She'll be there, actually, in Hyderabad, but it depends on some issues as well. So that is the work done. So Alan, I have put you down as a...

ALAN GREENBERG: I guess I'm the lead, or whoever is chair that day.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. And there has been some discussion, I believe, Alan, if you want to expand on, it is a discussion that has been hand on that, so far, at this point.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I can expand a little bit. The focus is going to be on more active work than just, you know, then just training on how to run meetings, or how to be a group together. We will be doing some sort of community building activities, but unlike last year, that will not be the focus of it. We are looking at a number of methodologies to break the group into small working groups, and work on particular subjects.

The exact methodology still needs to be discussed. And I think that's where we're going from at this point. Heidi, I, and Cheryl done some talking. Cheryl has done a lot of development sessions like that, and I've asked her to participate in the planning of this. But anyone else who has a particular belief, not belief, but feels that they have skills in this area and would like to help shape the date, then please let yourself be known, and we'll see what we can do to try to make sure this is a useful day.

You will recall that initially, when we did this, and again, that's why it was a budget request. We were asking for an extra day. We are now using the last day of the ICANN meeting. And we are doing in parallel, as we'll get to in a minute, a similar session for RALO leaders that will either be continuing or incoming, and those who are neither incoming or continuing people within the RALO leadership or ALAC, will in fact, be leaving ICANN a day earlier, because there are no activities scheduled for them on the last day. Sébastien.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you Alan. Maybe I will repeat part of what I already said in what you said, but it is... All this meeting, so-called C or AGM, was built to

have, at the end, and after we sit our new members in each of the groups in ICANN, to have one day to have the work started, the people know each other, to organize the work, to try to find who will do what and how we will be able to work together smoothly at the beginning of one year of work with the new team.

And it's true for the Board, it's true for the GNSO, true for ALAC and for the RALO leaders. It's true for everybody. And it's why this last day, it's just for that. In one hand, I don't understand why we need to request anything for that day, because it was set up for that, for this activity, for all of the group. But I am happy that it will be done, and if in one moment you need my help, I will be happy to help, but I think it's in a good hand with Cheryl doing it.

And I'm sad that Veronica will not be there, because she has very good knowledge and skills for all of that issue too. But it will be next time. Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you Sébastien. I do have a question for Heidi and Rob, to the extent that you know. Sébastien said that this last day is for all of the new people, everyone, but we're expecting, last I heard, 4,000 people in Hyderabad, and the total number of people in ACs and SOs totals somewhere between 100 and 200 people, even if you include the full GAC.

What are the other 3900 people going to be doing on the agenda? Are there going to be other meetings scheduled? Or are we incorrectly

advertising this meeting as the third to the ninth for the general attendees?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Rob, I'm going to hand that over to you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I know meeting scheduling is not either of your things, but I'm somewhat troubled that we are somewhere between misleading advertising, and potentially going to have an awful lot of complaints in that we are asking people to come to meetings, spend a large amount of money, set the dates based on what ICANN is saying.

And the agenda will be published very late, after people have already made travel arrangements. Is there going to be anything else?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Actually, Rob, if I may? I just opened the block schedule, and it looks like day seven, which is the 9th, intra-community work and SO AC SG wrap-up sessions.

ALAN GREENBERG: None of which we are going to be doing.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, but that is what is listed.

ALAN GREENBERG: So we may have cut ourselves off from important sessions by saying this is going to be an internal session for, and some of our people aren't even allowed to stay that day.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Again, I believe that the GNSO is doing a development session as well. And we would... I just need to see... Go ahead, Rob.

ROBERT HOGGARTH: Yeah, I mean, I think the key there was, what you said, was intra community sessions, an expectation that individual communities work on their own during that day. And the activities that you guys are discussing now are perfectly aligned for that. The 4,000 figure, I don't think that doesn't come from ICANN, Alan, but was publicized as, it's promoting, let's go to India.

And so, I'm not... As you know, in a typical meeting, you had 2,000 registrants, when Nick does his count, magically, four or 500 of them just disappear when we actually do the meeting counts. So, there is a difference between registration and actual attendance.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't think this discussion is substantially different if that 4,000 is active, 1200 or 1500 or 2,000. So I wasn't trying to worry about that number. Okay, again, this is nothing that we can solve here, but I find a real discontinuity between decisions that are being made in different parts of ICANN. Intra work within the community is not the same as the council or the committee meeting in private. It is very different.

So, again, a flag as we go forward, that we just have to reconcile the various views of how this meeting is going to be held, so that when we're doing things like this, we're not cutting off part of our body parts to suit another thing. Sébastien, go ahead.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yeah, Alan, it's a very good question. And I hope that somebody will bring that to Nick as soon as possible, because the meeting was supposed to be the same length. We start on, even the date change, I will take the usual meeting. It was supposed to start on Saturday and end on Thursday evening, and Friday was a day to sit the new bodies and to allow them to do some development, whatever you want to call that.

And if that has changed, not just [inaudible] question, but we need to see who decides that, because it's something we need to have a discussion with Nick. And I really feel that what was a project of the meeting working group and what was done in the A meeting, are a long way, and I see where the community came with a proposal and what it has really done.

And if it's needed, we have to have the discussion one way or the other. I am at your disposal if you want me to talk with Nick and with you, but I think it's important to bring that to him as soon as possible. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. To be clear, whether this is following what the meeting strategy working group did or not, is an interesting discussion item, but I am far

more concerned about the fact that we have different parts of the organization going in different directions for a meeting that's going to be scheduled, that's happening two months from now. Whether it matches the original intent or not, is a separate issue from the fact that we have people telling different stories about the same meeting.

Anyway, I don't think there is much we can do at this point. We have decided, we've already arranged travel that some of our people are leaving a day early. If there are interesting things including, as Judith says, the wrap-up cocktail at night, well, they're not going to be there for it.

I don't know to what extent that's true for other people. Let's go ahead. And as I said to confirm, yes it is me, as long as I will be chair. If there is another chair, we're in the midst of a selection process, then clearly whoever replaces me will own that day. Thank you. I'm done.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. So the next one is the captioning project, and that is a continuation. It has been agreed, it's a continuation of the fiscal year 16 special request for captioning. This one allows for [inaudible] over, let's see... Yeah [CROSSTALK] for over three months. And I have, Judith, you as the lead, and if you can please provide what the status of that is.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes, so this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. Yes, it is three calls. We had met... Silvia and I had met in Helsinki to try get together some of the metrics, because we want to make sure that these next calls that we

actually get better metrics, because we had a lot of issues with how the survey was designed, also with how Adobe Connect acted with mobiles.

And so we didn't get as many metrics as we had hoped. Silvia was going to put the... We met with Dev to help design an analysis sheet, and we're going to have a committee reviewing it. And Silvia was going to take the data that was collected from the At-Large surveys and put them onto a spreadsheet, a Google Doc, and then we were going to be doing the analysis.

And I don't know what Silvia, whether Silvia has completed that or not.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello, this is Silvia.

ALAN GREENBERG: Silvia, it's very hard to hear you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello. Can you hear me now?

ALAN GREENBERG: A little better.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Oh good. I just wanted to ask [inaudible] we are gathering all of the data. I'm putting together, as you mentioned, a spreadsheet with all of the metrics we could gather, including the surveys and the attendance.

So staff is working on that. That's for the first captioning pilot. The second pilot, the content is in progress, ICANN is reviewing the content with the vendor, and we should have this completed shortly.

After the content is completed, we can launch the second part of this pilot phase, this phase, thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, Alan, that's good, I've captured that. Any other questions or comments on that one?

Okay, thank you very much for that Judith and Silvia. So the next one is the ALAC discretion to use allocated travel slots to support active volunteer leaders within At-Large to travel and to attend ICANN meetings. This was actually started at fiscal year, in fiscal year 16 in ICANN 56, where At-Large was basically allowed to have two additional travelers for travel support, and that will continue going forward.

So I have put Alan as the lead for that. And I think the status is in progress or being implemented. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. I have a question. What we requested is to be able to use the two liaison travel slots for other purposes, if we do not need them for the liaisons. That has happened in the last previous, the Helsinki meeting, and in this meeting, but is not what the decision says.

It says, we have flexibility of using all of the slots, except the two liaison slots. So it says we don't have flexibility in using those slots, but what

staff has implemented is we do have flexibility. So it sounds as if, on paper, the paper was rejected, but it has been ignored and we've been given the flexibility. Can't we have a little bit of clarity?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, I'm going to hand that one over to Rob. [LAUGHTER]

ALAN GREENBERG: Wise move, Heidi. [LAUGHTER] [CROSSTALK]

Rob, aren't you glad you joined us?

ROBERT HOGGARTH: I'm always delighted to join you. I don't do it enough. No, I think, if I recall correctly, I'm sorry, I'm trying to speed up my brain here to recall some of these discussions. I think the issue was that you felt that you were limited, that if a liaison was also being funded through some other root, that that would somehow restrict your community's ability to bring others to replace that.

And if I recall the discussion that I was involved in from a staff perspective about this, the feedback was, you had that flexibility. In other words, for example, and I'm sorry for picking on Olivier. Olivier, you know, as a liaison, for example, to another community, let's say the GNSO, he's covered in that liaison slot.

That doesn't mean you lose the EURALO chair slot. And I think that's the conversation. That because someone is, you know, fulfilling two

roles, that doesn't mean that you can't fill that role and otherwise continue to use the maximum of the spaces that you have for that meeting.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Rob, if indeed, that is what you meant there, then you have rejected our request. Let me explain why. If indeed, we are going to fund Olivier from the GNSO liaison slot, and vacate his RALO chair slot, then that is a slot which the RALOs are allowed to reallocate. If a particular traveler does not need their travel support, then the RALO has the discretion of filling that, and that's a RALO decision.

If you're now saying that if the liaison, GNSO liaison happens to be also funded a EURALO slot, or a NARALO slot, and they're not using it, that's not an ALAC decision. And that makes it different, it's very different. We rigorously followed the practice, that if it is a RALO slot, the RALO has the discretion to reallocate it.

[CROSSTALK] And that is very different from what we are asking for.

ROBERT HOGGARTH:

Thank you for that clarification. I will re-review the quote/unquote grant, to see how that reads out. I think that, in evaluating the request, the distinction between RALO versus ALAC may not have been clear in terms of what constituency travel feedback was, but I'll double check that.

ALAN GREENBERG: I do note I've made this speech about four times so far. [CROSSTALK] Yeah, thank you. But it has been pointed out a number of times that the request was refused in writing but allowed in principle. And we need to actually come to closure on these things and not just ignore when people say there is a problem.

ROBERT HOGGARTH: I think the key here in terms of, and we'll work to get it right. The key here is that you as a community overall should not be limited in the travel slots that are available to you. You're pointing out the distinction that, at least in terms of the decision about fulfilling the slot, there is some difference there between the ALAC and the RALO and who has the responsibility, or the quote/unquote jurisdiction to fulfill that.

So I'll look at the language from constituency travel and follow up with Heidi and you on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: I would appreciate that. As I said, it does make a difference. We really try, when we select the people for our liaisons, to not discriminate and say, we're not going to give you this liaison position, even if you're the best person for it, because you already have travel funding. That would be the absolute wrong way to do this, and I don't want to be forced into using that as one of the criteria.

ROBERT HOGGARTH: Yeah, and I think... Without belaboring, I'll just say, yeah, the intent was to make sure that you weren't limited as a community. So again, I don't

think in the example that I shared, either Olivier, the ALAC or EURALO should be penalized for having someone who, in my example, is active and trying to do the best for ICANN and for the At-Large community.

So I think that's the spirit behind saying you guys aren't limited, but we'll check the language to make sure there is clarity in terms of who has the jurisdiction on the selection. Although I'd point out that some of this is on you guys' side too.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Rob, to be clear, there is no question, it is our decision that we have said that when a RALO slot is available, it is a RALO decision. We could have worked top down and said, if one of your allocated travelers cannot travel, it reverts to an ALAC slot. We could have said that years ago, we have not. And we have given the discretion to the RALO, you know, it's part of our distributed organization.

So yes, that is a consciously our decision, I understand that. But we're not likely to change it, and that's why we put the budget request in, otherwise the whole thing would have been mute. We could have done this from day one.

ROBERT HOGGARTH:

Okay, thanks. I'll follow up with you guys, appreciate it.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Heidi, back... Sorry. Tijani has his hand up.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much Alan. Tijani speaking. Rob, I would like you to address this issue, and not from the side of the responsibility, or the rights of the RALO, or the ALAC, to choose the slot. Because this will be [inaudible] and may be give some confusion, and because we didn't, Alan just mentioned that.

So please don't address it in this way. If you can address it, I think you have to address it as it is requested. That means that if our liaison has something elsewhere, we may use that slot, ALAC may use that slot, as appropriate, ALAC use that slot as appropriate. And it is, in this case, if you speak, as you said, at the beginning, it will be [inaudible], because the RALO may have other slots, and at the time, we have to see it is [appropriation?], so it is the responsibility of ALAC or the responsibility of the RALO.

So if you [inaudible] and confusion that we will not be happy to enter in. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. And Rob, one more thing, I know I had said we'd go on to the next item, but there is some urgency in this. We currently have four liaisons through other ACs and SOs. Our SSAC liaison is generally funded through the SSAC, and we have been lucky that we have not been called upon to provide something for that slot.

We now have yet another liaison that we didn't have before, and that's to the GAC. We are likely to be asking for additional funding for liaison

travel, but we really need to understand what the rules are for these before we ask for the next one. There is some urgency in this.

ROBERT HOGGARTH: Thank you Alan. And that's understood. From what I'm taking from this discussion, the problematic language in the assessment was the sentence that said, other travel slots can be reassigned as deemed appropriate within each RALO. And what you're clarifying is that, the term RALO should have been much more broadly noted as within the At-Large community.

So the ALAC, in partnership with the RALOs, can decide who makes those decisions.

ALAN GREENBERG: No. The wording you have is exactly what we do right now. The intent of the request was not to have the travel slot for Olivier, regardless of which label we put on it, reallocated by the RALO. And that is concern. We always had the ability to reallocate the RALO slot, we didn't have to ask that of that one.

ROBERT HOGGARTH: All right, thanks. I won't take up more of everyone else's time on this, but we'll definitely follow up individually. Thank you. Thanks Tijani.

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi, back to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you everyone. Moving on to the next one, this is actually...

ALAN GREENBERG: We are 36 minutes into the one hour call at this point.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. So, next one is access our RALOs for funding of monthly engagement activities. And that one was requested, I think, to give RALOs each 2,000, up to 2,000 for targeted local discretionary funds. So things like brochures, lunches, promotions, things like that. And the answer officially was no, but there was collaboration with GSE teams as appropriate.

And there is a [inaudible] funding of up to 10,000 US dollars being provided to the regional GSE teams to share in the response to the proposal. And I believe that the way that this should be moving forward is that RALO leadership should be working with their RALO members as well as their relevant regional VP, to identify and see if they can get agreement on some of these activities.

Rob, let me know if I have not judge that correctly.

ROB HOGGARTH: Thanks Heidi. Yeah, just to clarify on this, again, the spirit of this request clearly was that individual RALOs, or perhaps individual ALSs within particular regions, were interested in doing more local activities.

The best relationship for that to happen, is through the regional teams. The seed money, or the seed allocation was provided to give the regional teams a little bit more flexibility, and just to expand some of the conversation they're already having within their regions.

So the reason this was a no was that, ICANN executives and the Board were sticking to the tradition that says, ICANN doesn't give individual grants of money, outside the overall budget, to individual communities, but that it gets managed through ICANN processes. And so the attempt here was made to allocate the resource, but to have it be managed through conversations with the individual regional teams.

And I presume the regional teams are discussing how they will make sure that they've got some flexibility within their own individual budgets to be able to continue to work with their local ALSs or other local community members. So I think that's... It wasn't a no, it was more how that should be managed. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

So Alan, any comments? And then first, should the leads for this project be the RALO leadership?

ALAN GREENBERG:

The leads should the RALOs, the five RALO chairs, and I think we need... Well, you've got to assign things to a person, I believe. And although we have a significant compliment of RALO leadership on this call, we do not have all of the chairs, or even some RALOs, represented at all, unfortunately. I think you need a very targeted, and again, a short

message, which people do not have to parse and break out to figure out what you're saying, pointing out they do have funding available, through their GSE counterparts, and they should be well aware this money could be made available if they can make the proper case to their GSE representatives.

So I think we need something that is very targeted, at the chairs, and of course, at the secretariats of each of the five RALOs.

ROBERT HOGGARTH:

Alan, this is Rob. Just one point of clarification. This wasn't a case where there were specific allocations to individual regional teams. As I said earlier, we made a good point about having to parse through the individual language. This is just a continuation of the current relationships. If a local ALS or RALO identifies some activity they would like to engage in, the proper root is through the regional team.

What this decision allows is that on a regional team basis, the GSE team collectively has some additional flexibility to the amount of \$10,000, but that they can discuss and figure out how they're allocating internally, or how people are dipping into that bucket.

It's not something where a specific RALO has got money there to them, thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG:

If I didn't say that properly, then mea culpa. Whatever the right wording is, the RALO leaders need to know that there is the possibility of getting money through GSE to the total extent of about \$10,000 for

all five RALOs, which is how I read this. And we need to make sure the RALO leaders understand that, and know what the process is for making a request.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan? This is Heidi. Glenn makes a good point in the chat. He's saying that these funds should be integrated into the regional strategies. And I think that that's something we should...

ALAN GREENBERG: Integrated to the regional...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Into the regional, yes. Through the outreach and engagement. That's one of the requirements for CROPP funding that they used. Each RALO prepares and approves a regional strategy, and that's also within the subcommittee on outreach and engagement.

ALAN GREENBERG: I have no problem with that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So for staff, it's basically for staff to send a note to the regional chairs describing the project and the process to be followed of implementation of that.

ALAN GREENBERG: And clearly to the outreach and engagement subcommittee if we're involving them as, you know, essentially putting it under their umbrella.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

Okay, next one is fixing...

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani has his hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you Alan. Tijani speaking. I didn't completely integrate into outreach strategy. It may not be not for strategy. It may be for organizing [inaudible] general theme. Perhaps for helping their local community. So, don't try to make everything in the same, how to say, [inaudible]. This is the first one.

The second point, Rob you said, and you repeated, that it is a continuation of what is happening now. I am afraid that it is not the case for Africa. We don't have any, any such, how do you say, help from the regional vice-president or the regional team for our activities local for anything.

So it doesn't apply in Africa right now, and I hope it will in the future.
Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

As I read the response, there is \$10,000 of funding that is now available this fiscal year. So it doesn't sound like it's a continuation, although it may have been a continuation in theory, but now there is actual funding that is available, and it doesn't have to be diverted from some other program, if the regional GSE people decide that it is something that has merit.

Again, I'm only reading the words that are there, not what the intent was. Heidi, back to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. And just as a point of correction, Tijani, I do need to point out that the African and Middle Eastern regional VPs did assist AFRALO on bringing the NGOs and some of the students to ICANN 55. So there has been some assistance there.

Moving on to the fixing the bugs in ICANN's mission translation tool...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Heidi, if I may. For the meeting, it wasn't for the regional, for the local community. [Inaudible] is meant to be helping the ALSs, helping the, trying to move towards [inaudible] to do something on the [inaudible], not to help in organizing our meetings with ICANN, etc. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. There are points on that, Tijani, those were extra additions aside and in addition to a regular ICANN meeting. But we can discuss offline on that one, if that's okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, okay, so again. Fixing the bugs in ICANN's mission translation tool used for the LACRALO mailing list. And basically they were looking for dedicated staff and what was agreed with that internal... Basically, there would be policy staff supporting. The ALAC team will coordinate this with the ICANN IT team.

The lead on that Dev Teelucksingh, who is the chair of the TTF, and Mark Segal from IT staff. Since, prior to ICANN 56, there was a discussion on this with Dev and Mark and other staff. Moving forward, I think the reason they had the discussion in Helsinki as well. And then I reached out to them yesterday, and they are nearly finished with getting their new developer up to the speed on the existing code.

And they should have an update by the end of next week. I think at that point, that there will be a call of the TTF with Mark and [inaudible] to update everyone on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. We really need to come to closure and get this to production.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, well I think it's definitely underway, but I would think that it is going to be completed shortly.

ALAN GREENBERG: Because for those of you who don't read the LACRALO list, the translations have not gotten any better on their own.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay...

ALAN GREENBERG: I see Rob's hand is up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, sorry. Rob?

ROBERT HOGGARTH: I'm sorry. That's an old hand, I'll take it down. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Now let's move on in our remaining time quickly to the RALOs, and there are lots. I'm just going to go very quickly on these. The first

one, as we mentioned earlier, was the RALO leader development session at ICANN 57. Basically this is similar to the ALAC development session. This one will be from eight to 12, and it's for continuing an incoming RALO leaders.

So for the lead, I was thinking it might be the APRALO chair, which is Satish. The interim chair will be Satish.

ALAN GREENBERG: As long as he is agreeable.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So I'm going to put Satish as TBC, and I'll go reach out to him. We were also thinking about perhaps secretariat, a cross secretariat meetings could organize that.

Okay. I'm just going to just put cross regional... Okay. Next one...

ALAN GREENBERG: Presumably in the afternoon, these leaders can either attend the other sessions that the ALAC people will not be able to attend, or they have a half day off in either event.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So the next one is AFRALO. Several of the AFRALO ones. So the first one is for a General Assembly. And the results of that was that ICANN would be offering two assemblies, General Assemblies. And in

Helsinki, it was agreed that AFRALO will hold their GA during ICANN 59 in Johannesburg in June next year.

So, I have put for the lead, Aziz and Tijani. Tijani, just in case there are any concerns with that, let me know please. And I think it's time, we can go ahead, AFRALO can go ahead and start an organizing committee for this event.

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi, on the previous item, as Glenn points out, Satish is organizing the Indian School of Internet Governance. He may have his hands full.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, but we're going to come to that in a moment...

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no. On the previous item where he said the development session, he can take responsibility for.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, we'll reach out to him, the staff, and we're very happy to help. Staff has been discussing, we have a lot of ideas, so we'll work on that. So Tijani, just to confirm that you will reach out to Aziz and start a call for an organizing committee for the AFRALO GA?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Sure, sure.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, perfect. And next one, AFRALO is going to be a workshop on the 2016 IGF. And again, I put down the lead for Aziz and Tijani. Tijani, I believe you sent a note to staff that proposal was approved by the MAG, but I could not find it. So do you confirm that?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, I don't. The workshop wasn't accepted. I didn't send an email.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, okay. So that means that that item cannot be implemented then. Is that the case then? Because that was in... Okay.

Thank you for that. I'm sorry to hear that.

Okay, next one. It was a request... Just in the interest of time, was not accepted [inaudible] we need to get to. Okay, APRALO. So there was an APRALO leadership outreach, again, at the IGF. Again, there were two workshops, and Satish is now going to be the lead. I put that tentatively. And those two workshops were approved by the MAG. So that one can go ahead.

And I will reach out to Satish again on that one. Then I don't know the status of this one. Maureen, or if someone from APRALO could update us, that would be good. Let's see, this one was a showcase for APRALO activities in AFNIC. So that said no, but it was going to be CROPP funded and appropriate GSE funding.

Okay. And I see Maureen has her hand raised.

MAUREEN HLYARD:

Thank you Heidi. Yes, [inaudible] has changed completely now, seeing as the Bangladesh meeting was cancelled and moved to Sri Lanka. And so the, I think that the... I haven't heard from Tijani, but I'm assuming, the ISOC sessions won't be run there, because APNIC has actually moved it, its full organization to another venue. So that one may have to be dropped.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. Thank you very much for the update on that. Okay. Next one is again, we'll skip the Palestinian one, that was not accepted. Then the next one was support to the first Indian School on Internet Governance. That one was officially no, but there were some funding available through the GSE team, I believe. And that one now has been basically, it's ready to be implemented. There are...

I put the link to that. Satish is leading that, and several of you will be speaking at that event, or participating. So that one is fully [inaudible] implementation. Okay, moving on to, let's see. The [inaudible] was not accepted. Moving on to LACRALO.

So this one was a request for a General Assembly. What is going to be implemented [inaudible] for a subset of the LACRALO ALSs. And this is part of the LACRALO roadmap, and it's certainly being implemented. Currently there are mediators speaking with some of the members of

LACRALO, and the plan is to have a face to face within the next six months or so on that.

Okay. And implementers will be the mediators and staff. Okay, then there was also a fiscal year 17 request for a LACRALO capacity building workshop on DNSSEC. And that one was yes through the [core]. They have been in touch with [inaudible] to start planning that, along with the [inaudible]. So that event is going to be implemented.

Okay, moving over to NARALO. There was a request for a General Assembly, and that was approved by the ALAC. And that General Assembly will be held during the ARIN meetings, scheduled for New Orleans in April 2017. And Glenn and Judith have been quite a bit in touch with staff, organizing that.

That is well advanced in its implementation. And there is a work space that I put onto the page, to start the creation. And I think the next thing, Glenn and Judith, is really just to put a call out for membership to an organizing committee. Any comments on that?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

This is Judith. I don't know if Glenn can speak, but the, I think we put out, there is a [inaudible] management, we put out a call, and we have people on the committee and probably we'll get to it, if not before Hyderabad then afterwards.

And we also have people interested, as Glenn says, as facilitators. So we are looking at doing this in session. We're going to put out a call shortly for a suggestion of topics to be discussed, and then having a

vote, having the ALSs to choose which of the topics they like the most. So that we can [inaudible] them for our last day. And for maybe the introductory meeting, the one hour meeting, on the first day.

And we also, as Glenn says, has sponsorship from ISOC and ARIN. So, we have very good [inaudible] working through that already. But I think Glenn has his hand up and he wants to follow along.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, sorry. Glenn for the record. Thanks Judith, I think you have covered most of the points. One of the things that's quite important is there, you mentioned it, each of the social events, whether it's offered by ISOC, ICANN, or ARIN, we are also, because the RIR is a big part of the ecosystem, we're having one of the advisors, Chris [inaudible], do two separate sessions in advance. One in February and one in March, to educate the NARALO membership on what ARIN is doing and their policy development projects and stuff.

So we hope that people will have the well-integrated. We also have Lia, who also will be attending as part of the CROPP trip, in the Dallas ARIN meeting in October. So she's also the person empowered to continue discussing with them our relationship, because we have a MOU.

And thirdly is ARIN on the roadshow is actually happening in Waterloo in a couple of weeks. Joe [inaudible] is going to that, and I hope that some of our ALSs can attend that as well.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you very much. And again, many thanks to Glenn and Judith. They really moved quickly on this, and we're really [inaudible] with us. We've been in contact with the hotel and pretty much all set except for the agenda. So thank you for that.

Okay, final request was the...

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Go ahead. Yes, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. I'm glad to hear you're having the pre-meeting sessions to introduce people to ARIN, so that when they show up at this meeting, it's not completely a black box. You may want to consider making that mandatory if you want travel support, especially if you have multiple meetings. So if someone misses one, then someone has to attend the other one.

But I really think it's important that everyone who shows up at that meeting, not go into this completely cold, otherwise we're going to lose a large part of the benefit of that. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, Alan. May I continue with the last request?

ALAN GREENBERG: Please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, I'll try to finish this within a minute. This is a pilot [inaudible] ambassador's proposal for ICANN 57. This is actually supposed to... Well, it's going to bring two indigenous Americans to ICANN 57. That was supposed to be in the US and now it's in India, in Hyderabad. There was a selection committee setup, and a call for applicants went out, and there were several that came in.

The selection committee, again, along with Janice, used their program for the Fellows, and they selected two. And that is now moving along pretty smoothly. So again, thanks to [inaudible] and Judith on that one. And that completes the request. [CROSSTALK]

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Judith Hellerstein. I just wanted to... So, one other question is that, [inaudible] travel in touch with the people? And two, also [inaudible] [our?] At-Large mentor, who we agreed was Maureen, and so she is going to be working with our two tribal ambassadors.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Perfect. That's great, thank you. Regarding whether CT has been in touch with them, I will follow up. There are some internal processes that need to occur, so I'm going to see where that is.

ALAN GREENBERG: Given that these are not normal travelers to our meetings, we really need to handhold them and make sure they're not left to dangle by constituency travel. They may not know when to be forceful and what other things are required, and Hyderabad looks like it's going to be a challenging place to travel, especially conceivably for people who may not even have passports at this point.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Actually, Alan, it might be useful, Judith, to organize like introduction calls with the two applicants with [inaudible] and perhaps staff, etc. in the very near future.

ALAN GREENBERG: My other comment is without casting aspersions on Maureen. Maureen has her hands full with a lot of things, we may want to consider having someone else work with these people, not only Maureen, as an ALAC member and a ccNSO liaison, time is going to be difficult. And we want to make sure these people aren't left on their own too much.

Well, not left on their own, but we want to make sure that they have guidance and people to turn to. So, maybe you want someone else also. And again, not saying anything negative about Maureen, other than she's a rather busy person.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, we originally we had... Do this again. We had Siranush, but Siranush passes on to Maureen when she had to resign. And as Maureen says, we have a strong RALO leadership team who can assist. And so, they are also working with them on the mentees. So they will be... They'll put them altogether, working closely with them.

And so, I think it would be a good one. And Glenn and I are there to help people. But wanted someone who really had experience working with Fellows. And so that, because they're so integrated with the Fellows department, they are not, they are going to be, going to all of the sessions. They're going to be housed with the Fellows.

We really wanted that, also in that [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I'm not criticizing anything that's been done. I'm just point out, Maureen as the person who was identified a few minutes ago, does has other responsibilities also. In any case, back to you Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you. I think that actually completes the review of the fiscal year 17 special requests. Thank you to everyone for their input. Thank you to Rob. And I think we'll start reaching out to those groups that need assistance, and follow through on the other ones that are as needed.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]